[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it rape?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12

File: bloodmeridian.jpg (204KB, 1075x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bloodmeridian.jpg
204KB, 1075x1600px
Was it rape?
>>
Doesn't really matter, what matters is that the Judge bested the Kid in the end
>>
take this pleb genre trash back to r/books
>>
>>7648332
The judge is a figment of the kid's imagination. Remember how he knows things he couldn't have seen?

The kid kills himself in the jakes.
>>
just finished this book yesterday, didn't want to make another Blood Meridian thread because i know how common they are

dude, this book is second only to Moby Dick imo

the last few pages were so brilliant i can't get over it

>he is dancing, dancing

fuck
>>
>>7648905

Too much confirmatory ecidence in favorr of the judge existing, tall tales and scientific knowledge the Kid couldn't possibly have had. How to make gunpowder in the middle of the desert?

The Judge IS supposed to be a construction, but not of the Kid's mind. He's a human embodiment of war/hatred/brutality/monstrosity. The supernatural aspect of his character is intentional. He is more. Which is what makes him terrifying. The end had the judge dancing. The suicide cannot imagine dancing.
>>
>>7648926

Read Crime and Punishment.
Moby Dick is definitely top tier, and I'd say this is on par. It should live forever.
>>
>>7648332

It was domination on a universally recognizable scale. If it was rape, it must have been seen in the first moment by the discoverers. I'm thinking rape and grizzly murder, the rape most prominent. Ass up and spread with his neck broken.
>>
>>7648933
>implying he can't be both
Open your mind nigga
>>
>>7648332
No it was shit
>>
>>7648332
Obviously
>>7648843
This is true. Regardless of what The Judge does to him in the jakes, the symbolism is still the same--no matter how you ride, hide, and avoid war, it catches up with you...fucks your shit up.
>>
I read an article from a professor at Rutgers who argued convincingly that the Judge actually gets down on his knees and begs the Kid to absolve him for all the bad things he'd done. Hold on, lemme find the link.
>>
File: nabokov_boxing_gloves-530x317.jpg (32KB, 530x317px) Image search: [Google]
nabokov_boxing_gloves-530x317.jpg
32KB, 530x317px
>>7649229
Now this i gotta see.
>>
File: *holes.jpg (74KB, 634x445px) Image search: [Google]
*holes.jpg
74KB, 634x445px
I feel like given everyone in that book's complete desensitization to violence, rape wouldn't have gotten the "oh my god" reaction out of that guy. I've always felt that something horrible and impossible and unthinkable was happening to the kid, I've always pictured it as the Judge absorbing the kid into himself, even though there's no evidence for that
>>
>>7648926
Them feels!
>>
>>7648926
>tfw finished the book on a plane after months of extremely slow reading, looked out the window and saw that it was all night except for a blood red sunset on the horizon
is my life scripted
>>
>>7648926
>and he is a great favorite
I read it 4 months ago and I am still puzzled by what it means .

By the way , I saw there is an archive with a bulk of mccarthy's drafts and unused material ,which is also open to the public ,so why isn't anyone scanning all of it or making it more approachable ?
>>
>>7649367
People love war, they love violence, they love winners. The Judge feels no remorse for the blood he's shed, and so everything he does is a distilled expression of the victorious man, which people are magnetically drawn to. People like to watch him dance for the same reason they fucked up that preacher just because he told them to.
>>
The only flaw with it being rape is that rape was prolific in the story. The whole gang raped through the story as did the jidge, with children no less and no one batted an eye.

But we also never saw male on male rape which would be equated to total victory and destruction of another man so it is very plausible they were very taken back by it.

>tfw you read all the border books in El Paso
>tfw I camped out at Hueco Tanks and read the portion where the gang holed up there.
>tfw reading parts of blood meridian out loud to my boys when the morning sun came over the Franklin mountains.

So fucking good.
>>
>>7649367

i just figured the folks at the bar liked to watch him dance. he's a great favorite at the dance (and he's a great favorite among readers too)
>>
File: the judge.png (52KB, 1054x278px) Image search: [Google]
the judge.png
52KB, 1054x278px
>>
>>7648332
It was mediocre prose with no discernible talent.
>>
I kind of imagined it was a body. Presumably the kids/mans but I also believe there is a smaller chance the man finally converted turned to the chaotic side with the Judge and murdered some other poor bloke.
>>
Was it "Ye"?
>>
>>7649762
>reading this book was literally rape

*triggered*
>>
File: mccarthy_2145577b.jpg (72KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
mccarthy_2145577b.jpg
72KB, 620x388px
>>7649762
>tfw Cormac McCarthy fucks you for hours and you enjoy it
Goddammit I thought it was just a violent book.
>>
>>7649620
>tfw reading parts of blood meridian out loud to my boys when the morning sun came over the Franklin mountains.
Did you read the massacre parts?
>>
>>7648332
Judge Holden rapes his sister phoebe
>>
>>7648926
I think it's better than Moby Dick.

Moby Dick has all of that boring shit about whaling and whales that should have been edited out. It makes the work weaker.
>>
>>7649367
He is charismatic, the life of the party if you will.
>>
File: 1448836098558.jpg (54KB, 359x409px) Image search: [Google]
1448836098558.jpg
54KB, 359x409px
>>7650245
>Moby Dick has all of that boring shit about whaling and whales that should have been edited out
>>
File: Blood Meridian Ending.jpg (7KB, 465x356px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Meridian Ending.jpg
7KB, 465x356px
>>
>>7649620

The indians sodomized some of the men from the filibusterers party the kid joined when they overran their column. Remember those dudes the kid was with before the glanton gang that get attacked by indians in wedding dresses/conquistador outfits and such?
>>
>>7648926
they say he will never die
>>
>>7649852
I kek'd
>>
>>7650607
10/10/10/10
>>
Careful dropping that problematic R word. Thread recently got deleted for exposing the fraud within slam poetry.
>>
>>7652670
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7652686
>You
>Reddit
>>
>>7650607
That kid aint right, I tell ye hwat.
>>
>>7652693
there was fuck all to be exposed. noone here likes slam poetry. it was some frogfaggot posting the video with some supposedly oh so PROVOCATIVE statement and all the other frogfaggots chiming in, triggered by the sight of a girl getting more attention than them, doing something vaguely related to the field they're interested in (and regardless of how shit it was i doubt anyone in that thread has produced something of value either).

it's boring, echo chamber type bullfuck, the kind that you'll see page for page for page on /r9k/. now git. your friends are waiting for you with pee pee poo poo memery and manlet shaming threads
>>
I'm pretty sure the Judge absorbs the kid into his stomach and turns him into some sort of ectoplasmic goo. Some say Blood Meridian is the prequel to Ghost Busters.
>>
>>7652670
>>7652693
oh god here we go with this faggot shit again

go back to r9k
>>
>>7648332
when Harold Bloom made me read this?
yes
>>
File: thegang.png (23KB, 1913x980px) Image search: [Google]
thegang.png
23KB, 1913x980px
>>7649620
>>
>>7648843
>he still thinks the Judge won
I aint studyin no dance
>>
>The Man formerly known as The Kid takes a job as bodyguard for some pilgrims
>ditches them along the way
>Somewhere in the mountains he sees some sort of cult
>He takes a nap
>Wakes up, keeps travelling, and finds the very pilgrims he ditched all massacred, except for an old lady who is praying on her knees
>he approaches and opens up to her
>she is some kind of mummy that has been dead for ages, despite him ditching the pilgrims only days earlier

the fuck happened there?
>>
>>7654269
The woman was already there
>>
>>7649762
I'm convinced
>>
File: judgeposting.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
judgeposting.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
Dr. Glanton, I'm KID
>>
>>7654385
Tell me about the judge, why does he wear the hat?
>>
>>7649229

>it's fucking nothing: the meme
>>
>>7649620
>as did the jidge, with children no less

I don't think that was ever implied.
>>
>>7654394
>bear gets shot
He didnt dance so good!
>>
>>7649229

Fuck you Anon, don't lie to me.
>>
File: 1454196734400.jpg (22KB, 240x251px) Image search: [Google]
1454196734400.jpg
22KB, 240x251px
>>7650607
>>7654146

Fuck you /lit/.
>>
>>7648955
So it was a poopoo peepee basically?
>>
>>7650529
Well he likes Blood Meridian so that was a given.
>>
>>7654394

If I take your notebook, would you die?
>>
>>7649241
This is how i feel about it.
As if the Judge is literally ripping the Kid's soul out of him and it is indescribable
>>
The Judge is the Devil and it's as simple as that, /lit/anic
>>
>>7655289
yeah Miltons Satan is one of the judges biggest inspirations
>>
If that gunpowder hadn't dried he would have killed everyone at the volcano the way he pretended to, wouldn't he? And then somehow befriended the Apaches.
>>
>>7655456

It's curious because Holden is NOT some creature who thrives on what we may term murder-lust. If he was, yes, he would definitely ditch Glanton and side with the natives, since that offers the greater chances to go about murdering and maiming and raping and what not. But the Judge seems to be above that, despite indulging in it every now and then.
>>
>>7654469
Have we struck the fire out of the rock which God has put there?
>>
>>7656882

I meant that he'd do it just for survival, if those clouds did in fact prevent the sun from drying the mixture. I thought it was interesting how he unloaded his guns and then yelled "all dead save me" to the apaches, like it might have been his other option.
>>
>>7654427
There's one scene where the Judge takes special interest in a young girl and the next morning she's found dead with her neck broken. The text implies he raped and murdered her since Toadvine accuses him of it and even puts a gun to his head.
>>
>>7655456
>>7656882

The Judge is working to erase the Apache in the same way he erases other artifacts he finds.
>>
>>7657064

Both times it was boys with their necks broken, nothing else was said to imply rape.
>>
>>7650634
That part fucked me up. Real talk: this book made me not want to be a cowboy anymore.
>>
>>7657064
>>7657094

Oh wait, besides the two boys and the missing girl at the end I think there was another girl he killed, but I don't remember anything about rape.
>>
>70 posts
>not a single one contains "hack"

Has /lit/ lost its ability to spot a hack writer?
>>
>>7657094
>>7657120
The judge was said to have been seen going around naked the night before one of the boys died, and if iirc one of them shows up naked and butt up.
>>
http://peter-mclachlin.livejournal.com/115239.html
>>
I read this book a month ago and didn't notice a single mention of rape.

I think I fucking read this shit wrong.
>>
>>7649135
yep, the judge owned him with the final conversation. The kid was just another mediocre dumb chump, the judge finally spoke candidly. And he implied how insignificant the kid was, because the kid waited years to go for answers. The judge is just on another level.
>>
>>7649831
kek
>>
>>7654269
yeah, i didn't get that part and it all felt quite surreal
>>
Saw this stupid but great thread as I was finishing BM.
Finshed it. Thought it maybe a distant second to Moby Dick.

>>Was it rape?

Not even close OP. Judge at the end is literally petering out on his soliloquays, that were at one point great, but are at this point are straight up boring meme-based bores. Gone is his mystique and magicalness. The kid shambles and trundles on into the shit-tier/blasé American landscape (un-raped) is my final analysis.

PS great thread, compadres... for once.
>>
What other McCarthy works have you guys read? I've read the Road and All the Pretty Horses, both very good but nowhere near BM.
>>
>>7654148
Exactly. Only a fool would think rape. The judge takes the kid, God gets the man. He lived. The judge was never in the jakes. The kid was a fighter. Very petty to think it was rape. Very gay.
>>
>>7658399
No, they are.
>>
I'm thinking about ordering Cormac's Border Trilogy. I've read Blood Meridian.

I loved everything about in Blood Meridian and in No Country.

What books, influences, writers, should I check out? Already got Moby Dick coveredf
>>
>>7660870
>magicalness
no results found
>>
>>7661083
I've read that people recommend to read Glass and Faulkner if I like Cormac.

What should I pick from them?
>>
>>7661083
I'm reading the Border Trilogy now.
ATPH and The Crossing are both amazing.
>>
What about dat there epilogue tho
>>
>>7660889
I think you're missing the point. The Judge definitely killed the Kid. In that early draft of the jail scene I posted, the Kid says the Judge can kill him, but he can't whip him (ie, bind him to his will), and the Judge responds with murderous frustration. That dynamic is still the same in the finished book, but a little more subtle. The killing was a concession, a recognition of untouchable defiance, and in that way a defeat.
>>
>>7661914
What about the indescribability of the act?
>>
>>7661995
There was no real reason to describe it. But I'd say the Kid/Man is innocent in some unique way and we likewise don't get descriptions of the Judge's sneaky killing of other innocents (children, like the Gileno kid who's bouncing on the Judge's lap one minute and a scalped corpse the next), while we do get descriptions for participants in battle against him (like the Mexican whose head he crushes during the cantina brawl in Nacori). There's also some macabre humor to it, in how the Judge politely "shot the wooden barlatch home behind him" while some surreal brutality goes on within.
>>
>>7654269

This, that was the only part in the book where I had trouble following what was going on.
>>
>>7654794

Don't liken /r9k/'s obnoxious forced memes to BM please.
>>
File: 1402186253543.jpg (20KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
1402186253543.jpg
20KB, 500x443px
The man finished the book. He closed the pages tightly together then put one foot on the floor then the other then used his hands to push himself up out of the chair and then put one foot in front of the other until he had walked all the way to the book shelf and then put the book on the book shelf. The deer walked in. The man whirled around and fired once with his pistol and the brains of the deer went flying out the back of its head and painted the wall a color dark red like blood. The man sat down again like a man sitting down.

I didn't really like the book, said the dead deer.

I reckon I was pretty conflicted, replied the man grimly.

His writing style is pretty problematic.

I reckon his style is perty silly, he just strings a bunch of them declarative statements together, like 'the man did this then the man did that etc", but they don't paint no picture, they're done totally unevocative of anything. I reckon it don't take no skill to just state in excessive detail what someone is doing. It takes artistic skill to say it in a way that done bring it to life for the reader, and he don't done really do that. I reckon it's some sub-Hemingway shit he's doing.

It's not all bad though.

I reckon some some of the images t'were pretty powerful.

And the judge is a memorable character.

I reckon he's the only one though. All the rest of them there charac'ers ain't real memorable, like he done put no effort into 'em 'cause he spent all his time on the judge. And that there whole novel was all...whatdjacallit, structureless and stuff. And real repetitiv' too.

I read that he doesn't see why people like Proust and James because he thinks all novels should be about life and death things.

I reckon that's 'cause he's too obsessed with subject matter and not enough with style and art.

The dead deer nodded and walked out. The man slowly got up again by putting one foot then the other on the floor and then used his hands to push himself up out of the chair. He fixed himself a drink and resolved not to take anymore book recommendations from Harold Bloom.
>>
>>7656882
The judge has too much worldly learning to be happy along with the apaches. He'd be talking some faggy shit about countries that dont exist and they'd get sick of him and scalp his bald ass

>>7659821
Didn't help that the lady only spoke in 1800s spanish
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.