[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 32

File: IMG_1924.jpg (56KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1924.jpg
56KB, 672x372px
Some of you guys are alright, don't go to the wedding tomorrow edition.

>Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke???
No.
http://i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
So I just called a recruiter (Army, Air Force didn't pick up). I'm >>34903877, the guy told me if I can get medically "cleared" (AKA go into my doctor's office and get them to say I'm fine and not on medicine) I should be good. But I just feel like it's almost too easy for what I thought would be a huge barrier in my hopes of becoming a pilot. Is it really possible to get a TS clearance if you have even the slightest blip on your record?
>>
>>34931538
How long ago did you take the meds?
>>
What's /k/s opinion on Motor T?
>>
Do they ever look at your medical records? everyone on r/newtothenavy says they look
>>
>>34931538

>Is it really possible to get a TS clearance if you have even the slightest blip on your record?

The denial rate for the military is way higher than the denial rate for a TS. People way overblow how hard it is to get a clearance. Most people who fail to get one only fail to get it because they lie about something that would not have even disqualified them if they'd disclosed it. It's the lies that get you, not your actual history.
>>
File: 1495970198542.png (444KB, 733x881px) Image search: [Google]
1495970198542.png
444KB, 733x881px
going 11b (w/ option 4)
anyone have any experience in an airborne unit?
my dad was in one but I can imagine all his information is outdated and I'm not about to trust a recruiter.
>>
>>34933694
Why didn't you choose option 40?
>>
File: 1489370630999.jpg (31KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
1489370630999.jpg
31KB, 670x503px
>>34933745
I'm not good enough.
started training a lil bit ago
I can do 70 sit ups and can do a 5 mile in 42~ but my push ups and pull ups arent there.
Its my hope that one day I'll be good enough but thats not today lol
>>
>>34933640
the catch-22 seems to be you can't get into the military in the first place without a shitton of extra time/hassle/waivers/work /OR/ you lie to the military about something that wouldn't bite you getting the TS but the fact you lied does.
a major example would be drugs, TS will forgive a lot more drug use than military will. but lying to get into mil and then having TS catch that through someone they call telling them or you deciding to tell the truth can be a fuckshow
>>
How are Marine Raiders different from other SOF? Based on the marines website description they sound like Army SF.
>>
Going through the process enlisting in the Air Force, had surgery which left visible scars years ago, so I filled out a MedRe (?) and at first my recruiter said it would only take 4-5 days, now he's saying it will be more than a month. What should I expect?
>>
>>34933911

My understanding is that their take on FID is more HUMINT intensive and that they don't put the entirety of it onto an 18F equivalent and supplementary forces.
>>
>>34933640
>>34931538
Don't have stupid unexplained Debt and don't be a dumbass and admit to doing drugs while in the military.
>>
File: 1407198153541.jpg (120KB, 605x482px) Image search: [Google]
1407198153541.jpg
120KB, 605x482px
Any reservists here?

Do you regret not going active duty?
>>
>>34933849

Not that much of a Catch-22. Most people with clearances never join the military.
>>
>>34934384
Rule of thumb is avoid reserves/NG if you don't have a stable, lucrative full time career. Note I said career, not job.
>>
Any /reenlist/ anons in here? Currently a 11b in Ranger Batt trying to make the switch to EOD
>>
>>34935346
>11b in Ranger Batt trying to make the switch to EOD
whys that?
>>
>>34931538
Recruiterfag (Army) chiming in. Too many variables in the little information you have provided. You need to find a recruiter that's willing to "work" with you so to speak.
>>
>>34933022
They can only look at what you give them permission to see. HIPPA laws in the states are bitch to work around.
>>
>>34933945
What was the surgery for?
>>
>>34935466
EOD is about to be a MOS in Regt and the job intrigues me. Worked and shot the shit with our techs on one of my trips and it sounds cool as fuck
>>
>>34935346

>Tryna get outta Batt

That's because you know the sad truth that all the wannabees in /meg/ don't.
>>
Is SNA anon still around? Did you hear back from the board yet?
>>
>>34935619
>EOD is about to be a MOS in Regt and the job intrigues me
neat, so youre already a full tabbed ranger? How would you rate your overall experience?
>>
>>34933849
So the question is, how successful is OPM at catching lies?
>>
>>34935652
It's had its ups and downs. It takes a lot out of you. Some of the leadership here is horrendous right now. Pretty much why Thomas and Rodgers were killed
>>
>>34935664
Unless you require a polygraph, pretty shitty. Believe it or not, most TS jobs do not require a polygraph (at least on the Army side of the house).
>>
>>34935664
>>34935677
A quick add in. They WILL catch anything legal related. Can't weep legal shit under the rug.
>>
>>34935674
>Pretty much why Thomas and Rodgers were killed
???
what does this mean?
>>
>>34935677
From what I hear, polygraphs are more effective at tripping people up than they are at actually detecting lies anyway. But that's not to downplay how effective the testers can be at their mindgames.
>>
>>34934384
Nope, I'm basically NEET outside of the Reserves and I'm so glad I don't have to put up with this bullshit every day
>>
>>34935707
True, but for the jobs that require them, failing is an instant DQ.
>>
>>34935664
I'm betting they catch most because people lie about really dumb shit. Then people just fess up under pressure and finally some shit is from all the phone calls they make to family/friends/etc.
>>
>>34935721

While this is true, it's extremely rare to actually fail a polygraph. 99% of the time you don't pass it's just a "inconclusive, come back another day".

I'm a fan of the polygraph personally. Quite a bit of garbage manages to slip through the military recruitment and regular clearance processes. There's much less of that in the group that can make it through a solid polygraph session.
>>
I'm socially awkward and can seem autistic at times, will this be a problem during boot camp? Will they ever look into my medical records at boot camp? what about the moment of truth
>>
>>34935793

>Being an autist

Depending on your job this can be an asset. It's not an issue unless you've got an official diagnosis and/or meds you have to take. Can't get 'tism meds in boot.

>Will they ever look into my medical records at boot camp?

They can if you give them a reason to. You sign over the right for them to do it.

>what about the moment of truth

It's a non-issue for most people since they don't lie their way in to the military.
>>
>>34935840
never post here again non serve
>>34935793
they only have what you give them, we talk about this all the time
>what about the moment of truth
What about it? Just dont stand up and youre fine
>>
While preparing the your OCS application how often did you talk or meet with your OSO/recruiter?

My OSO seems busy as fuck, and doesn't always respond back to emails. I was supposed to meet with him once and I think he forgot I was coming, and said he was too busy to meet. Was wondering if this is normal or not.
>>
>>34935860
I've been having the same problem with mine, but ice managed to get most of my packet together. He'll usually take a day to respond to texts.
>>
>>34935793
"Moment of truth", sounds like you're going for Marines. Don't sweat it too much.

>>34935840

Someone sounds butthurt for some reason.

>They can if you give them a reason to. You sign over the right for them to do it.

Yes and no. No easy way to explain that.
>>
>>34935855

Your daily reminder that most people get into the military just fine without lying. This makes those who do lie endlessly salty so they try to pretend it's more widespread than it is.

It's basically:

>I-it's okay that I lost my virginity to my uncle at 9, everyone was having sex!
>>
>>34935161
Wait why should I join the reserves if I do have a stable full time career?
>>
>>34935704
Poor planning. Decided to land on the X with a know enemy force of 100+ yada yada
>>
>>34935887
>Your daily reminder that most people get into the military just fine without lying
This is 100% untrue, 95% of people i knew in the navy had smoked weed in hs and drank and of course we all lied about it.
Do you report to the police everytime you see someone J walk as well faggot?
>>
>>34935612
Percy's Excavatum
>>
>>34935896

>Don't go reserves unless you have a stable career.

...is not the same statement as...

>If you have a stable career, go reserves.

They're a logical converse.

If you do have a stable career the reserves might be a viable option, but it depends on what you get out of it. If you don't have a career, it's usually better to go active if you want to join the military.
>>
>>34935900
why did you say it before as if i knew who thomas and rodgers were? was it in the news or soemthing?
>>
>>34935612
>>34935919
Pectus lol. Stupid Mac
>>
>>34935917

Fuck yeah I smoked weed, it's on all my docs.

Life is easy when you don't have to build an ever-higher tower of lies to cover what a piece of shit you are.
>>
>>34935941
>cover what a piece of shit you are
smoking weed makes me a piece of shit?
And life is very easy for me, in fact it was even easier.
Recruiter said have you ever smoked, i said no. the end.
wow that was easy huh?
>>
>>34935962

>smoking weed makes me a piece of shit?

Naw man, everyone does that. No big deal.

Covering it up with more and more lies is what makes you a huge piece of shit.
>>
>>34935972
>Covering it up with more and more lies is what makes you a huge piece of shit.
why? and again it took me 2 seconds to lie once.
Didnt you lie when you didnt admit to J walking? When the moment of truth came why didnt you go tell them you J walked?
>>
>>34935972
People wouldn't lie if waivers were consistent and you didn't have to go through 6-12 months of paperwork with MEPS with a chance of being permanently disqualified just to join. Lying about drugs isn't the best, but it's a lot better than lying about far more dangerous things.
>>
>>34936075

>Doing things the right way is hard, so I cut corners whenever I can.

This is why it's better working in orgs that require a polygraph.
>>
>>34936075
I'm pretty ok with the drug lying thing /meg/ pushes consistently. If people can't stay off drugs they are going to flush out probably before they can do too much damage to anyone else.
But this constant "lie about it" when people admit they have had mental health shit to the point where they got meds or even worse were hospitalized and /meg/ tells every one of them even if they say they attempted suicide to join up by lying...
idk anons, that shit seems pretty iffy
>>
>>34935972
>>34936008
>>34936075

Recruiterfag chiming in here. Everyone makes mistakes.

There are three ways the military knows about past drug use. You tell them, you fail the drug test, or you have drug related charges.

However, DO NOT attempt to conceal any charges or arrests no matter how minor. That shit can and will come back to bite you in the ass.
>>
>>34936136
>>34936139
If you 2 faggots think there is anything wrong with smoking weed youre complete morons. Its perfectly fine to enjoy it the law is just behind the times for no reason other than beauracy. And I truly believe if you didnt smoke weed growing up in HS you were probably a complete loser whose never been to a single party in your whole life.
>>
Now that more troops are being sent to Afghanistan, will the chance to ear a CAR as a fmf Corpsman be more likely? Or even see real combat.
>>
>>34936180

90 % of the troops actually seeing any sort of engagement will still be SOF, guaranteed.

When conventional forces do deploy to Afghanistan, they're still mostly sitting around.
>>
>>34936251
Well shit, thanks for the answer though.
>>
>>34936165
I never said that there was anything wrong with smoking weed. Don't put words into my mouth. I was only saying to be honest when talking about your past encounters with the law. Sadly, if you believe you have to smoke in HS to fit in, boy have I got news for you.
>>
On a side note, how would one go about talking to a recruiter not in person. Where I live there isn't a recruiting station for the Navy for a pretty far distance. Is setting a meeting somewhere in between a viable option or would it be e-mail only.
>>
>>34932270
Somebody please answer. I need to think of 3 jobs for muhweens and I cannot think of anything other than infantry.
>>
>>34936295
Why only three? Motor T in the Marines sucks from what I've heard. If you care about the job, then you might want to give the Army a look.
>>
File: A Few Good Men.jpg (480KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
A Few Good Men.jpg
480KB, 1600x1200px
>>34936180
Hey, Cole Phelps, chasing glory is a good way to land your men -- or yourself -- six feet under.
>>
File: 1474805128460.jpg (17KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
1474805128460.jpg
17KB, 640x406px
tfw i realized today that there are gang showers and no-privacy toilets in bootcamp and i don't really want to join now
>>
>>34935161
I don't necessarily like putting college on hold for four years, but I don't know if there's any way that I can feasibly make the reserves work.

How are the bennies?
>>
>>34936468
doing AF or something might night be bad if you can deploy a lot to get your 100% tuition

some jobs in AF are also super skate, so you can take classes while being active
>>
>>34936484
How is Army intelligence? I highly on my ASVAB so I pretty much have my pick of the litter.

I'm mainly trying to balance out an MOS that I genuinely enjoy with one that is capable of letting me get a class or two in each semester.
>>
>>34936468

Pick a cushy office job in any branch that gives you time to use your TA and get a degree while active.

Bonus points if the job itself gives you credit towards a degree.
>>
>>34936509
>I highly on my ASVAB
*Scored highly

Currently on mobile.
>>
>>34936509

>I'm mainly trying to balance out an MOS that I genuinely enjoy with one that is capable of letting me get a class or two in each semester.

Nobody can give you opinions on this without knowing what you enjoy.
>>
anyone have ocs questions or applying to officer programs?
>>
>>34936409
That shit happens across the board. I could write a book on why it happens.

>>34936468
Find that asshole teacher and ask him to talk you out of your planned major. If he succeeds, go active to give yourself some time time to think about it and have the money on the backside to pay for it. If he fails, then look into the reserves to help pay the route. Avoid the NG, unless you like being owned by your state.
>>
>>34936129
I didn't say I lied about anything to join (I didn't), I was just pointing out why people feel pressured to lie about certain things. Also, you don't really believe that polygraphs are that reliable, right?
>>
>>34936409
Better than living in a dying coal town and accomplishing nothing besides working for a shitty pay check in an even shittier factory.

I'd rather die trying to live.
>>
>>34936537
1. Do they lean more favorably towards STEM degrees?

2. How long have you been waiting for? How long is the wait on average?

3. Does being prior-enlisted help your chances?

4. Is it true that Officers have less job security and pretty much must go where their branch needs them most?
>>
>>34936277
>I was only saying to be honest when talking about your past encounters with the law
You replyied to me and we werent talking about the law at all. Try and keep up.
>Sadly, if you believe you have to smoke in HS to fit in, boy have I got news for you
You dont have any news for me i can guarantee you that. Head on back to r9k ET
>>
>>34936554

They're extremely reliable at what they're actually designed to do.

90 % of the value of the polygraph, IMO, is shit bags self-selecting themselves out of the process. They don't even try because they've built so much of their life around lies they can't even see a future wherein they're just honest.
>>
>>34936570
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_disease

I'm not saying don't live. But don't get you and your men killed because you think doing something brash and ignorant will net you a medal.
>>
>>34936597
Ah, got a little dark there didn't I. I would do not so safe shit for a ribbon maybe. But I wouldn't lead a group of other people for the ribbons or rewards.
>>
>>34936554
>you don't really believe that polygraphs are that reliable, right?
They don't use polygraphs.
>>
>>34936437
Good, don't need pussies like you
>>
>>34936586
>You replyied to me and we werent talking about the law at all. Try and keep up.

General reply to several posts. One statement fit that criteria. That's why I spaced out my comments. I'm sure you have a spectacular ASVAB score.

>You dont have any news for me i can guarantee you that. Head on back to r9k ET

If that's the only way you could "fit in", you're a news article waiting to happen.
>>
>>34936575
1.Yes though there were some nonSTEM majors at OCS
2.Took a year to get accepted another few months to ship out. It might help your chances but actually enlisting and going officer down the line may just delay it or you may not get an opportunity to put in a packet
3. Most of the classes were civilians, some prior enlisted, a few had gotten out already
4. Navy gives you a choice as far as picking what designator/MOS you're gonna go to OCS as. Other branches are whatever's available upon convening of the class. Once youre in, it's a matter of hitting wickets: schools/deployments/sea duty/shore duty/degrees/etc. I was given some choice but it also came down to needs of the Navy
>>
>>34936702
95, ill dig up my record if you dont believe me
>If that's the only way you could "fit in"
I didnt say or imply that. I'm sure you have a spectacular ASVAB score.
It has nothing to do with "fitting in". Its about you being so much of a sheep you follow arbitrary rules for no reason. Did you actually wait until you turned 21 to drink your first beer?
If you answer yes to that one you actually are a complete giant loser.
>>
Do people honestly dick measure with their ASVAB scores? If you score into the job you want, why does it matter?
>>
>>34936758
>95, ill dig up my record if you dont believe me

I could run it if I had the info. You beat me by 3 points.

>It has nothing to do with "fitting in". Its about you being so much of a sheep you follow arbitrary rules for no reason. Did you actually wait until you turned 21 to drink your first beer?
If you answer yes to that one you actually are a complete giant loser.

Where did I imply that such behavior was a completely wrong or unacceptable? The only thing implied was if you could not find another crowd to fit in to, you may want to reconsider your life priorities. Most of us (myself included) have done things in our past for one reason or the other. It has nothing about following rules, laws, or what have you. However, if THE ONLY reason you break such rules is to be accepted into a social niche, you need to evaluate your situation. As far as what the military knows about you, my original statement stands.
>>
>>34936917
Beer is catching up. That is horribly written and I apologize for the mistakes.
>>
>>34936917
>I could run it if I had the info
if i had wings i could fly
> However, if THE ONLY reason you break such rules is to be accepted into a social niche, you need to evaluate your situation
I never said thata, again i made the point to say its about not following a dumb rule simply because its a rule.
>my original statement stands
again my original discussion had nothing to do with arrest records. It was only about smoking weed in the past.
You included me in your blanket reply so thats your fault for starting this drunk boy.
>>
>>34936806
Because if you score low on the asvab (anything lower than 65) you're a fucking retard
>>
File: 1503287774330.gif (249KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1503287774330.gif
249KB, 500x375px
I got my Op40 with a 68W Contract.
Can someone tell me about Regimental Recon? The internet isnt saying much
>>
>>34936712
What are you going for career wise? NA/NFO? SWO? Other?
>>
>>34935896
To be clear I meant DO NOT JOIN THE RESERVES IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A STABLE AND LUCRATIVE CAREER.

Way too many people join the reserves, go work a shit job and wish they went active. Or, when they are up for consideration with a really good gig, they are discriminated against because the employer is like "fuck, this guy is going to be gone for drills" and pass you up. They aren't legally allowed to do this, but they all do. Even the fucking DEA got busted for shitting on reserve agents.
>>
>>34937400
>Even the fucking DEA got busted for shitting on reserve agents.
that was more out of butthurt jealously cuz their coworkers actually saw combat
>>
>>34936437
This is only like the 50th reason boot camp sucks
>>
>>34936806
Literally only 17 and 18 year old kids do this because they have no other accomplishments or achievements.
>>
I'm thinking of enlisting into one of these jobs in the muhreens, so how retarded am I and how fucked will I be for choosing any of these (as well as what I can expect).

>intelligence
>combat engineer
>linguist
>public affairs
>combat camera
>air traffic control
>>
>>34937991
Why marines instead of army?
>>
>>34938361
No real reason, not that I wouldn't also consider army, but I went to the marines first and they took me in and convinced me enough to begin the process.
>>
>>34938463
you'll have a job with ATC outside of the military once your done
>>
File: red_panda.jpg (158KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
red_panda.jpg
158KB, 800x540px
To all former infantrymen in the Army; what did you do after you finished? Did you ever re-enlist at any time, either to or from another MOS?
>>
File: 1396654972424.jpg (155KB, 1080x785px) Image search: [Google]
1396654972424.jpg
155KB, 1080x785px
Realistically, how much much of a kick in the nuts is a deployment to Afghanistan for a POG Marine?
>>
File: C4tt89K.jpg (387KB, 1280x1029px) Image search: [Google]
C4tt89K.jpg
387KB, 1280x1029px
>>34938768

Welcome to the suck.

You'll get used to it.

Don't fuck up, watch your fuckin ass and do your best.

Don't treat it like some bullshit job, where you're deployed is now home 2.0.

Survive, broski.
>>
>>34937528
t. sub 70 asvab
>>
>>34938799
Not memeing, but how do you grow accustomed to the idea of someone being able to kill you at any moment? Does it kind of just become a fact of life the longer you're stationed there?
>>
>>34938813

Pretty much.

Depends on where you are, honestly.

Could be something as fucked up as the Korengal or something less pants-shitting-ohfuckohfuck-tier.

Who knows.

There's always stress on the first few weeks, but you'll grow into it.
>>
I can run 32 min for 5 miles, is that good for infantry or should I aim for something below that?
>>
Can someone here please post that "couch to 5k" image? I lost it and would really appreciate if someone could get it to me.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (38KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
38KB, 500x417px
>>34938867
>>
File: 1501605551780.jpg (2MB, 4268x3100px) Image search: [Google]
1501605551780.jpg
2MB, 4268x3100px
>>34939200
gl to all anons working on cleaning up credit or prepping for PT or hunting down their medical or therapy records just to know what's out there today
>>
File: 1498994067682.jpg (89KB, 679x657px) Image search: [Google]
1498994067682.jpg
89KB, 679x657px
>dont know which role to chose
>like a lot of jobs
>would do any of them
>would just do another role if i couldnt get into one
>they all seem pretty good
heres a list of what i'd do in the british army:
Military police soldier
Paratrooper
Combat medical technician
comms systems/ops analysist
Ammunition Technition
Unmanned Aircraft Operator

i have family members who are service and ex-servicemen, but some of them said to go into IT jobs for higher pay and more chance of a promotion. i have no idea about the whole 'officer' thing, do you need A levels? i only got 9 GCSEs A-C.

if for somereason i cant join the british army, how likely is it for an irishman to get into the US army? heard you could get citizenship for your service. i have 3 months to make up my mind and talk to some of the family who are serving.
anyone here got any advice on not looking creepy? people say i look like pvt.pyle.

is it possible for a war to breakout between US and the DPRK?
>>
>>34935632
And whats that?
>>
>>34935932
Yes it was in the news.
>>
>>34938803
t. kiddy who thinks anybody cares about his asvab score
>>
Leave officer alone unless you intend to make a career of it or stay in for at least ten years. It's a pain in the dick to handle all that shit and then you'll probably get stuck in supply chain unless you suck some colonel's dick.

As for job, the two questions are 'what is most interesting' and 'will this help me when I'm out'. No military role will prepare you 100% for a civilian job, and you're better off using your education benefits to study and prepare for a tech career or whatever. An infantryman with a degree in network management is more attractive than a guy who was in a signal corps job for a few years.

The thing about joining the US military as a foreign national is you have to be a legal resident of the United States, and last I heard you needed to have been on American soil for two years before you leave for basic. So you need to have a work visa for that long or be a student before you can get in, you can't just hop on a plane and join like in the 80's. Too many slavs were weaseling their way in back then.

When talking to people about the military I've found it's best just to adopt a comically serious yet calm mindset. If they see you get anxious or annoyed, they'll give you a side eye no matter how good your logic is.

A DPRK war would only be the result of a serious miscommunication followed by a cascade of mistakes in both military chains of command. We only false-flag our way into wars if we know we can win, plus Seoul makes a lot of things we like.
>>
>>34940679
for
>>34939853

i belieb in u bae
>>
>>34940679
And what if you just wanted to fly planes? Seems like a great option if that's your goal
>>
>>34940736

Pilot is one of the most competitive jobs in the military, even for transport/cargo planes. You need the military apparatus to trust you with potentially hundreds of lives and tens of millions of dollars of machinery. It involved acing a battery of aptitude and personality tests, and doing very well on all your physical exams. Even then, in these horrible days of peacetime you need letters of recommendation from some brass. A friend of mine had a letter from an Apollo astronaut and he's still not a sure lock for a pilot slot. It's the kind of thing you need to resolve yourself on when you're 12, not a career pivot you make when you're 23.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a life decision and one you need to be 100% committed to. There's always aircraft crew jobs if you just want to work in/on planes, though.
>>
File: xanBSUI.jpg (673KB, 2988x2134px) Image search: [Google]
xanBSUI.jpg
673KB, 2988x2134px
Heading off to mess soon. Very nervous about asvab . Worst case scenario I don't meet minimum score what are the chances of getting a waiver
>>
>>34940804
Minimum score for your desired MOS, or minimum score as in 25 AFQT?

Just learn how to divide decimals and remember that a crosscut saw goes across the grain while a ripsaw goes with it. Also try to remember the order that the planets go in.
>>
>>34940818
Minimum afqt score which is 31
>>
>>34940835
Don't worry about making the minimum score unless you had a head injury as a child or aren't fluent in english. Google ASVAB practice and take a few tests, see what kinds of questions they ask, and learn how to answer them.

Occasionally they throw a question at you like "what is the highest prime number of these four". Don't waste your time trying to solve those unless you know.
>>
>>34940790
An ROTC captain I talked with was saying there's no better time than now to get into the program, both scholarship wise and field wise. Said they've been starting to hurt for pilots over the past few years, and it's been getting worse to an extent
>>
>>34941106
>someone who wants you to join something says something that makes you want to join
>>
>>34941126
It's not like they have a quota like enlisted recruiters do, I don't really see how he would be pressured to get as many as possible.
Could be completely wrong though, wtf do I know
>>
>>34940790
This is not wholly true. The other guy in DEP with Me right now is 26 and got a pilot slot. Whole obviously it's better to be young, and I was one of those 12 year old who went for it, you can still make the grade.
Military is hurting for pilots very much, but when I went through Uni they didn't want to give scholarships for flight degrees. Their mentality was that you would have to get flight training anyway so they wouldn't pay for it. However you can do rotc and get commissioned after school, and get yourself a pilot slot potentially, just not free Uni. Might have changed but I doubt it. Letters of recommendation should be some serious officers or prominent individuals who have known you. Working for retired majors and colonels is an easy way in

As for the tests, the TBAS is fun. You basically have to use rudder pedals and a joystick to track a tiny digital plane and "hold lock" on it. Then they have aviation navigation section and another section where you're listening to atc chatter while solving math problems, a word search and shit at the same time, to test multitasking
I thought it was cool, honestly. Being a pilot already helped for sure.
>>
>>34932270
Motor tuh is fine if you either like fixing or driving vehicles
>>
I want to join the marines but I have 2 tattoos that are against policy (inside of elbows). I was gonna get them removed by laser but everything I've read says it might leave scarring and not get rid of it completely. Will they disqualify me?
>>
>>34942031
Just talk to a recruiter and tell him to waiver your ass
>>
I forgot about something at MEPs, I had migraines as a kid and have gone to a chiropractor to help. I haven't had one in like 5 years. What should I do?
>>
>>34940804
Assume you mean MEPS

ASVAB is a retard-tier test. I had to take a colossal shit during the test and rushed it pretty much as fast as I could and ended up getting an 81.
>>
>want to go navy SeaBee for muh trades and still technically a Combat role
>want to go 11b or 19d for muh combat role
>want to go ATC in any branch for muh civilian work
>want to something Air Force for muh bases and forms
So I just roll some dice or what
>>
>>34942569
I'm tempted to go for Seabee since both my great grandfathers were Seabees during WWII. I just hope I don't have to bury the dead like they did.
>>
>>34942569
>>34942592
seabees are a joke and a dead rate. Especially now. Just go 11b if thats what you really want
>>
>>34942569
>>34942592
>>34942842
>11b

Have fun being a janitor and working at McDonald's when you get out.

Go SeaBees. You'll at least get to learn some infantry tactics in addition to getting some marketable skills.
>>
>>34942930
>working at McDonald's when you get out
>I forgot the Gi Bill exists
>>
>>34942930
>>34942842
>>34942592
>>34942569
>>34942204
>Not going 68W
Get yourself a Op4, Op40 contract with 68W and you'll be set for your career in the military
>>
>>34943011
*Op4 OR Op40
Didnt mean to run them together
>>
>>34942993
>I could get some relevant experience in addition to free college because most "entry level" jobs want experience now
>naw I'll just be a grunt so other mean military grunts wont call me a POG and I can RP as a role hero in training when in reality I'll just be doing shit details
>>
>>34943054
>some relevant experience
what if he doesnt want to lay brick forever?
>most "entry level" jobs want experience now
This is complete nonsense. Every person I know who got out and got a useful degree not a fucking meme degree got employed straight out of school. You cant graduate with a 2.5gpa degree in history and have no internships and then come on the internet and cry wah no work experience fucked me.
>>
>>34943088
He was saying it's fine going infantry because you can use the GI Bill for college. That's completely retarded because you are pissing away a chance of getting some experience in whatever field you want to be in. Honestly if you are stupid enough to go infantry you deserve to be homeless.
>>
>>34943118
>He was saying it's fine going infantry because you can use the GI Bill for college
no I said that. Hes saying its stupid to do that.
>>34943118
its not reatarded at all. Some people joni the mil for unique experiences. Theres nothing wrong with that. I joined the navy to travel. Which I did. Now im out getting my degree in a completely u realted field to the job I had and I dont regret a single thing. You are talking like someone whos clearly never served. Feel free to stop posting.
>>
>>34943118
>pissing away a chance of getting some experience in whatever field you want to be

What if I want to get into business/finance/economics after I'm done with the Army?
>>
>>34943148
"Military experience" fucking transcends infantry, idiot

>>34943156
https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/about-army-stem/math-jobs.html
>>
>>34943209
>"Military experience" fucking transcends infantry, idiot
???
I didnt say it didnt. And thats all you took from what I wrote? Idiot
Again you arent even in the military please stop posting
>>
File: thinking.png (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
143KB, 600x600px
>>34943209
>joining the army to do a job i could do in the civilian world that won't give me the experience i need to survive once im finished with my service

What're you, Anon? What was your MOS?
>>
Thinking about joining navy. i want to get one of the tech ratings, thinking crypto or maybe intelligence. are there better tech ratings, or better ratings in general? definitely more of a nerd, so i don't think i'll fit in with combat arms (or aviation, in the navy's case)
>>
>>34936437
Afraid someone will slap your ass or something? Men have no problem bathing together, it adds to the camaraderie.
>>
>>34943427
Small penis
>>
>>34943407

Easy question. CTN.
>>
>>34940679

>Leave officer alone unless you intend to make a career of it or stay in for at least ten years. It's a pain in the dick to handle all that shit and then you'll probably get stuck in supply chain unless you suck some colonel's dick.

One of the sweet spots for officers is actually to GTFO at 5-6 years, just like enlisted do.

>No military role will prepare you 100% for a civilian job

This is bullshit. I transitioned into a civilian job in my exact same office, no training required.

> So you need to have a work visa for that long or be a student before you can get in

You can't join the US military with a work or student visa. The MAVNI program is currently inactive. You need a green card at minimum.
>>
>>34943463
i don't know much about computers as-is (though it's more than most people do, i'm sure). will it be difficult for me to get in to a tech rating?
>>
>>34931690
not him, but im in a similar situation. I took ritalin for like 6 months in 2012. recruiter wants a doctors note saying im off the meds, but the doctor i went to has actually retired, some other company bought the practice, and most if not all of the records from the time I went were destroyed. recruiter doesnt seem satisfied without some doctors note; what do I do? I havent taken ritalin since like 2012, and it was only for a few months. I dont even live in the same state as I did back then
>>
>>34935602
what if I already told the recruiter about taking ritalin? I cant get the records cuz the doctor is retired. Havent taken the stuff in almost 5 years! I only tried to get it to help me improve job performance
>>
>>34935697
what about charges that were dropped? my recruiter is insisting arrests can be used against me, even
>>
>>34943502

Assuming you can pass a very basic set of tests, the military will train you up from nothing into cyberwarfare. You just have to be a quick study and dedicated.
>>
>>34943597
92 on the civilian asvab, both times
>>
>>34935855
>they only have what you give them, we talk about this all the time

is this true even if youve been prescribed controlled substances?

what if I told one navy recruiter about it, would a navy recruiter in another state also know?
>>
>>34943631
>what if I told one navy recruiter about it, would a navy recruiter in another state also know?
99% chance no. Recruiters care about getting there numbers up. If you didnt join then youre dead weight to them and they cut you loose.
>>
>>34936139
What about concealing arrests where the charges were dropped and both the court and police station say they have virtually no record of it? And even the police say Im not obligated to disclose arrests where the charges were dropped
>>
File: 2CYWUNXK3FACFFC4JVV6IPXECM.jpg (69KB, 600x930px) Image search: [Google]
2CYWUNXK3FACFFC4JVV6IPXECM.jpg
69KB, 600x930px
>>34942569
>want to something Air Force for muh bases and forms
Personally, I've always found that the Navy have the best bases but that's just my opinion and I like to be near the coast.

And if by forms you mean uniforms, the Air Force's BDUs are a joke and ridiculously ineffective as camouflage. Again, the Navy is actually rolling out the Blueberry cammies for something a little more effective. It's now more similar to the Army's Fall attire.

I guess they eventually figured that having people falling overboard while wearing the color of the fucking ocean didn't pose well for their survival chances.
>>
>>34943699

You sound smart enough to fit in the military if you are asking this question
>>
>>34943742
too dumb to get in though lol
>>
>>34943727
>I guess they eventually figured that having people falling overboard while wearing the color of the fucking ocean didn't pose well for their survival chances
you dont weat them underway nonserver.
>>
What is the consensus on the canadian reserves?
thinking of joining as combat engineer
>>
>>34937450
fugg, what are the rest?

any easier in the chairforce?

>>34943427
>>34943451
no, i just feel like i'm too old for this shit.
>>
>>34943842
What uniform do sailors wear while underway?
>>
>>34943742
:)

>>34943818
:(
>>
File: 150116122726.jpg (64KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
150116122726.jpg
64KB, 800x533px
>>34943935
>>
>>34936277
So what if I never got in trouble with the law for smoking weed, should I lie and say I didn't if trying to get a clearance? I put that I smoked more than 5 years ago on a capitol police application and they automatically disqualified me
>>
>>34943935
coveralls nig
>>34943992
>im 18 isnt this funny guys XDDDD
>>
>>34943991
Kek poor bastard
>>
What are the main reasons that people get put in SEPs/kicked out from navy boot camp?
>>
>>34943524
Same here, arrested for driving with no insurance and no license. Charges dropped in court. Any answers?
>>
>>34944056
No but every day I chisel away at the puzzle. Tomorrow I go back to the police station, even though ive already been there twice and the courthouse once. Hopefully I get what my recruiter wants, present it to him, and continue on the journey. My gut feeling is that it will require a waiver.
>>
So, how long does MEPS keep records of attempting to enlist? Say someone tries to enlist a long time ago, for whatever reason is told to come back in a few years & walks away from the process. Now wants to give it a last shot. What would MEPS still have about the try years ago. Even when the first attempt was with one service and now with a different one.
>>
File: Uh.png (513KB, 600x782px) Image search: [Google]
Uh.png
513KB, 600x782px
How deep do security clearances go?
>>
>>34936180
Be a hard motherfucker and become a SARC
>>
I have a serious dilemma. I really want to be Airborne, but I am seriously considering Marines instead solely because of the uniforms. I know it sounds stupid, but the Army dress uniforms look fucking retarded. The berets are dumb and the cut/colors make men look really fat. The marine dress uniform looks really really good. I'm not a faggot, I just want to be proud of a uniform I wear.

I guess in the end though it would probably be best to just go Army instead, it seems like it's the better branch.
>>
>>34944559
>I just want to be proud of a uniform I wear
Youre an idiot.
Youll barerly wear your dress uniform.
When you do youll be so sick of the hassle youre going to hate it.
>>
>>34944559

I got out of the Army at about six years. I wore my dress uniform less than a dozen times. That's twice a year, on average.

If you're retarded enough to choose a branch based on a uniform you will wear one day every six months, you're definitely too retarded to be anything but a memerine.
>>
>>34944650
>>34944663
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the Army then.
>>
Do the people who do TS clearance look into medical records or do they just interview people?
>>
>>34944840

There's almost no medical ailment that will affect a clearance.
>>
>>34944559
Army was supposed to be bringing back the pink and greens, which IMO is better than Marine dress blues. Marine uniforms have great looking tops but totally faggy pants.
>>
>>34943011
What do you mean?
>>
File: Wehrmachtheer.jpg (70KB, 564x762px) Image search: [Google]
Wehrmachtheer.jpg
70KB, 564x762px
Does the swiss military accept residents or only citizens? While i'm an American citizen and plan to serve in the U.S. Military very shortly, i have considered trying for residency in Switzerland afterwards. I speak Hoch-Deutsch (Not perfectly fluently, still working at it, classes aren't offered in german where i live so i basically am stuck with independent study) but not Swiss-German.

Once in Switzerland though, i honestly would love a chance to serve with the Swiss military. While perhaps not the most important or best living conditioned service, i would be perfectly content dying defending my germanic brothers rather than for the jews in charge of the U.S. However, in the 12 years it takes me to get citizenship i feel like i would not be fit enough to serve anymore, so i was wondering if they also accept residents.
>>
File: 1400957739449.jpg (180KB, 1536x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1400957739449.jpg
180KB, 1536x1040px
Are Marines actually dumb or is that just a meme?
>>
>>34946457

People who say that about Marine infantry have never met Army infantry.
>>
hypothetically if one filled out the MEPS pre-screen but their recruiter told them to lie about everything how would one correct this? Is it possible to go into MEPS with a medical record and not get in deep shit or go bitch at the recruiter to update the entire paper?
>>
File: 1501076695726.png (160KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
1501076695726.png
160KB, 450x433px
Do people usually score lower on the ASTB on their second attempt?

I am thinking about taking it a second time, but my OSO claims everyone he's had take it a second time has scored lower. This doesn't make that much sense to me (since you know what to study for) Do you think he's just B.S.ing so he doesn't have to go through to work of retesting me? I scored 59 my first attempt.
>>
Looks like I'm about to enlist in the DEP with ATC being my top choice in the marines. How badly did i fuck my life up?
>>
>>34946956

ATC makes six figures in the civilian world. You didn't fuck up at all, except maybe should have gone Air Force for that comfy life.
>>
>>34946760
>how would one correct this?
why would you? hes right
>>
>>34947171
>lying to the government
>get discovered and get fucked for the rest of time
>cant do any secret clearance jobs
is that you recruiter?
>>
>>34947182
>get discovered
99% chance it wont faggot thats why your recruiter said to lie in the first place.
What exactly did you lie about?
>>
>>34947225
it was a hypothetical fag.
>back curvature (within waiver limit)
>>
>>34947260
Ok fag grow some balls and realize its less hasle to even mention a back curvature. If anyone cares meps will notice it. If they dont youre golden. Stop spending your whole life as a choir boy.
>>
>>34946928
59 is considered a good OAR for NA/NFO. What were you other scores for the aviator aptitude tests?
>>
I can't wait to become a liutenant

I have some questions but everyone o ask seems to be giving me wrong answers. I joined the army at 17, junior year, then for senior year I was reserves and when I graduated high school I went into basic and then went straight to college and I'm currently in ROTC. ROTC sucks because 90% of these people didn't even go into basic or know anything, I'm already an E-3 and once I graduate I'm going to be commisoned. What is the best MOS for an officer to he commissioned in and why does ROTC suck
>>
>>34945384
I would love for them to bring back the pink and greens.
>>
>>34947500
Pic of uniform?
>>
File: pink.jpg (217KB, 775x805px) Image search: [Google]
pink.jpg
217KB, 775x805px
>>34947606
>>
>>34947644
Nice I dig the hats. these and dress greens are the best looking army uniforms imo
>>
>>34947644

>The Army is bringing back Air Force uniforms
>>
File: penn pepe.jpg (65KB, 498x668px) Image search: [Google]
penn pepe.jpg
65KB, 498x668px
I often sing along to No Surprises by Radiohead in the car including the line "bring down the government," does that count as agitation to overthrow the government for the purposes of the SF-86?
>>
>>34947711
They are World War II Army uniforms idiot, before the Air Force even existed and the air corps was the army.
>>
>>34947847

>he can't read captions
>>
>>34947894
All soldiers wore them, just because a few officers from the Army Air Corps are in the picture doesn't make them "air force uniforms". God you are a fucking imbecile.
>>
>>34947360
I also have a another question, what us the easiest or fastest way to get into airborne school? Can I do it while I'm in college or do it after college and before being commisoned
>>
Anyone know if it matters how fat you are before you go to navy basic?
My recruiter is trying to push me to go because I technically meet the body fat requirement but I feel like I could benefit from another month or so of just losing more weight and doing more weights/cardio.
>>
>>34946111
Funny that you have such an opinion and want to live in Switzerland when Tenenbaum was real.
>>
File: 1330646781454.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1330646781454.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
Tips to surviving 29 Palms?
>>
>>34943727
The only reason we're still using ABUs is because the AF has a massive back stock of them that they're not ready to throw in the trash.
If you deploy you get OCPs.
>>
>>34948456
You'll get plenty of that in boot. Worst case scenario you get rolled back a week or two, big whoop, less time on your contract doing shit work, more time exercising.
>>
>>34944028
Physically broken. Mentally less often.
>>
>>34935632
Whats the sad truth about ranger batt?
>>
>>34947359
6/4/6

I qualify for SNFO but the 4 in the PFAR segment disqualifies me for SNA unless I retest.
>>
I lied to my recruiter three times to cover up my marijuana consumption. The first was telling him that the last time I smoked was about three months ago, when it was actually two days before. The second was telling him that my grandfather had an emergency, in order to postpone MEPS. And the third was that we had to postpone it again since I supposedly went to party in Tijuana last Saturday and was given dried mango which was supposedly infused with marijuana. He hasn't responded back since then.
Also, I smoked yesterday thinking I was sure of keeping up the lie about the edible but now I'm not so sure.

Should I come clean or keep up the lies? What are the consequences for each of them?

Marines btw.
>>
>>34951379
>postponing MEPS twice
He doesn't give a shit about you anymore
>>
File: IMG_7234.jpg (25KB, 320x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7234.jpg
25KB, 320x210px
>>34951379
Since you've already lied three times, you better fucking hope you're good at lying from now on.
>>
>>34951625
Alright. Should I request my birth certificate, hs diploma, and social security card and try another recruiter? Or will it be a waste of time talking to another recruiter?
>>
File: IMG_7281.jpg (74KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7281.jpg
74KB, 600x400px
>>34948645
I can't be the only one who likes ABUs
>>
>>34951379
>>34951674

Please stay away from the military. It's clearly not the lifestyle for you.
>>
>>34951689
Personally, I think they should have made them the actual tiger stripe patterns we used in Vietnam. The ABUs today look like they were bleached.
>>
>>34951691
Understood. Thanks anyways.
>>
>>34951689
>>34951941
It's not so much the pattern as it is the color.
They fucking glow against nature.
>>
>>34951379
What the fuck was your plan dude? To keep smoking le doobies and postponing MEPS, for literally what reason? What was your end game?
>>
File: 1402168825227.png (192KB, 335x315px) Image search: [Google]
1402168825227.png
192KB, 335x315px
>"Thank you for your service."
>>
>>34949548
Seriously?
I'm at like exactly 26% bf right now but feel like I could do with possibly losing like 30 lbs or so.
>>
>>34952936
They don't measure your body fat unless you are over your max weight. Are you? If you are over your weight and over your max body fat you are not going to ship to boot anyway
>>
>>34952979
Yeah, I'm over max weight but I'm at the max body fat right now.
I lost like 40 lbs so far and could technically ship now due to the bf% but I feel like I'd be better off 20-30 lbs less.

Do I go to MEPS and then do DEP or something if I don't want to leave immediately?
>>
>>34953063
You pick your ship date at MEPS. You can be in the DEP for up to a year.
>>
>>34951379
Please don't join the Marines.
Or the military at all for that matter.
Just smoke weed and work minimum wage your whole life.
Nobody wants to work with a fucking retard like yourself.
I hope they don't let you join.
>>
>>34951379
You're throwing your life away you fucking idiot
>>
>>34953092
Let him.
He can't grow the fuck up.
>>
>>34951134
This?
>>
File: British_Army_Logo.png (140KB, 233x200px) Image search: [Google]
British_Army_Logo.png
140KB, 233x200px
Sorry to bother you lads, first time in this thread, I take it this is more catered to join the US military but I am a Britbong considering applying for officer training in the army.

I am just after general advice you'd give anyone considering joining the armed services. I'd say I am reasonable fit, no criminal record, no injuries, always been sort of bright but never really found the right way to apply myself. Happy to offer any more relevant information. Sorry for being vague, this is all still new to me.
>>
File: 1381405385150.png (375KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1381405385150.png
375KB, 500x500px
>>34953706
I'm an America, but here is the long and short of it from our perspective: it can be a great career decision, and your odds of dying outside of SOF groups is very low.

PICK SOMETHING YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you ask yourself "Is this something I would like to do for 8 years?" and you say no, pick something else.

Aside from that, shop around each of the branches. Unless you have your heart set on the Army, typically each branch can offer you something unique.
>>
>>34953706
the fact that youre coming to /k/ for advice to join the army as a rupert already means youre retarded.

we already have enough retarded bosses and we dont need retards like you fucking with the blokes and coming up with retarded plans on exercise.

>always been sort of bright but never really found the right way to apply myself

fuck off youre just a mong with a self-inflated ego

fuck off cunt
>>
>>34953763
Thanks for the advice, I think it is the army for me. Something about just sits right in my head. Glad to know the odds of dying a pretty low, my mum will be relieved.

When you say pick something you're interested it implies that there is a little more to being an officer than just being an officer. Could you give me a few examples of the things I could be interested in?
>>
>>34953794
Well, as an officer, your situation will be a bit different than that of an enlisted man. How it works, at least in the US Armed Forces, is that officers are required to know a little bit about everything, and then when they are assigned to places, they work hand-in-hand with the NCOs (usually E-5s and above) who are very proficient in that area and they act accordingly. You're typically given a "wish list" of what you would like to do job-wise, but officers may also be subject to reassignment at the behest of their branch.

Not sure how much of this applies to the UK's military, but seeing as how ours is pretty closely modeled in the image of yours, I doubt it's completely alien.

I usually tell people: if you're trying to do 1 pump and then move on, enlisted would be the way to go. But if you're serious and want to make a career out of the military (which you can absolutely do if you're diligent) then officer candidate school might be more your speed.
>>
>>34953861
I was definitely looking more towards making a career out of the military. What I want from a job is something I can stick at through thick and thin and really get good at it. It's one of the things that really appealed to me about the military.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll double check everything you say against the UK army website so to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in for. I think I just need a little time to let the idea of enlisting sit in my mind so that I know I'm certain about joining. It feels like a really big jump, but I'm sort of buzzed about it.
>>
>>34953913
No problem, man! Joining the military can be extremely daunting. Thankfully, there is a wealth of information out there and a lot of it is pretty unbiased.
>>
>Be writer
>Publish before I ship to boot
>Get paid to learn a language
>When I get out of the Marines join the Foreign Service (Diplomat)
>Collect tax-free royalties on books the whole time because I'm stationed overseas

Rate my plan.
>>
>>34954002
what if you don't get selected for your preferred MOS, and they send you to comms school and have you carry a 50lb radio everywhere
>>
>>34954002
>Be writer
>Publish before I ship to boot
Takes a lot of time, and book publishers are notoriously fickle.

>Get paid to learn a language
Better score well on that ASVAB. Linguist requires a GT of 105.

>When I get out of the Marines join the Foreign Service (Diplomat)
Noble.

Your plan is filled with a lot of "what-if's."
>>
>>34954027

Eh. I still get access to language learning software, and I'm going to try to get my MOS in my contract.
>>
>>34954038
not to say this will happen to everyone, but:

"these are my top 3 MOS"
"yeah those are all full, we only have infantry available"
"fuck my life"

has happened to at least one person i know
>>
>>34954035

>publishers are notoriously fickle

I'm already in talks with one, that part is more or less a check.

>score well on that ASVAB

Another check, I aced the practice ASVAB.

>Noble

Thanks. I like dealing with other cultures.

>what-if's

My biggest worry of what-if's are the .mil what-if's rather than the civilian side.
>>
>>34954049

That wouldn't be the end of the world. It just means I'd have to learn languages in my free time, but I have no issue with being a grunt.
>>
>>34954066
cool man, i really wish you the best, it would be awesome to be a marine. i just wanted to give you a heads up and some things to consider.
>>
>>34954056
>Another check, I aced the practice ASVAB.

That's good, now just focus on aceing the actual ASVAB.
>>
>>34954074

Thanks. I'm trying to cover all of the angles.

>>34954077

I'll give it my best shot.
>>
>tfw see housing might crash
>tfw training for possible happening triggering civil war

Are you guys ready?
>>
File: 1474508266859.jpg (603KB, 825x618px) Image search: [Google]
1474508266859.jpg
603KB, 825x618px
>>34954086
>tfw my rifle cartridges arrived today
>>
>>34954083
i might catch shit for this, but have you talked to other marines for ideas? reading forums etc might help.
>>
>>34954104

My old roommate was a Marine. Mortarman, got stuck on convoy duty because at the time they didn't need mortarmen at the time. I'm aware that I can get stuck into any job,but I've heard that if you end up in a combat job you have a good bit of free time. That lets me write and study, at least I hope.
>>
>>34954086
100% ready.

Good economy:
>"Anon, why would you join the military?"
>"Get a six-figure job in San Francisco"
>"Do your 4 and quit, you can be a contractor, $300k starting"

Sour economy:
>"Wow, you guys are lucky to have such job security"
>"Why aren't they letting anyone in??"
>"Not sure how I'm going to pay my student loans"

There's a lot to be said for a job that's very stable with a pension at 20 years.

Also, in my area (Colorado Springs), the housing market is in a stupid bubble, and nobody seems to be able to see it. 9% year over year growth in housing prices is not sustainable, and with a ton of housing stock coming onto the market, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bubble pop in 2 years or so.
>>
When I was in 4th grade I brought a knife to school and got suspended (for 3 months) along with being arrested. I can't even remember what the charges were, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the size of the knife. Should I bring this up if asked or what?
>>
>>34954511
For enlisting: no. If you need a security clearance: yes.
>>
>>34954511
so you were "that" kid
>>
>>34954511
If you were charged, then yes, you will have to mention it. They will find any and all criminal offenses, as there is a centralized database for it unlike medical.
>>
is working as armor in the army as cool as it seems
>>
>>34954256
Maybe unrelated, but do people in the military (lifers) buy houses when they are forced to move so often?
>>
>>34955042

Because military get a pretty sweet deal with the VA loan that allows them to buy a decade younger than most of their civilian counterparts. A well-chosen property near a military base is an easy rental so it can be a good investment even when you move out.

Yeah, some people are idiots and buy too much house or buy shitholes, but the servicemembers that are really successful with real-estate investing at set for life. It's not uncommon for a retiree to get out of the military with 2-3 paid-off properties around the country. They pick whichever one they want to retire at, and either sell the others (at a massive markup from what they bough them for, usually) or rent them out for passive income.
>>
>one dude says that force recon and random schools is great for getting into force recon

>another dude says that getting into infantry is a good way to get terminated by lance corporal for lack of rank ups and injuries

So what the fuck do I do? Try for intel, then try for asymetrical jobs that assist marsoc but arent infantry? I wanna serve 20 years for dat pension and getting into marsoc is a realistic boon it seems.
>>
>>34955086
Getting into marsoc*
>>
Do they look at your medical records in boot camp? Or if you get through meps then you'll be good? What about for a TS clearance
>>
>>34954713
I just brought it to show my friends, anon.
>>
>>34955013
No.
>>
>>34955086
MARSOC is the same as SF. You can go from any MOS to being an operator. The selection process is just rucking and general fitness shit, nothing unique to infantry they are simply more accustomed to it. The ITC (or SFQC) covers everything and doesn't rely on prior experience.
>>
Has anyone read the Fitzgerald collision report here?
>>
>>34955929

>Anyone know about any launch codes?
>>
>>34955967
Fuck off
The Fitz report is free under the FoIA
>>
>>34955976

FoIA shit always is edited in case of confidential shit with redacted sections. Quit your bullshit, or FoIA it yourself.
>>
File: 1361316787622.jpg (411KB, 619x800px) Image search: [Google]
1361316787622.jpg
411KB, 619x800px
Is it common to get multiple duty stations throughout an enlistment period upon finishing MOS school?
>>
>>34956022
Man just google it
The only censored shit in the released report are the injuries and some photos
Everything else is free to read

I just want to talk to someone who's read it. Like the fucking captain was hanging off the side of the boat before a few JOs rescued him
>>
Same question as this Anon
>>34955133
>>
Does 25yrs old seem to old for army pilot/wocs?
>>
>>34956266
Their age cut off is like 32 or something. Navy and AF have younger age limits.
>>
>>34956035
Rule of thumb, if you sign for 6 years, you'll probably PCS at least once.
>>
>>34933694
Airborne is lame
Running jumping follow the dude in front of you
Sit forever then jump for 40 seconds
Repeat
>>
I could use some advice, I want to join the military, but I have severe asthma and a fellony on my record and i am currently on probation. ive gained a lil wheight, im 180 and 5.8. any thoughts guys?
>>
>>34956336
Yeah, I know. Still doesn't effect me decision
>>
>>34956654
my* fuckme
>>
>>34956633
>severe asthma
>fellony on my record
>currently on probation
>lil wheight
Sorry hoss, but this isn't the 60's where you are given the option to join the Army or jail.

It sucks that felons are second rate citizens, but there's good reason to not have them in the military.
>>
Realistically speaking, how difficult is the PT at Army BCT? My program is actually coed, but I'm joining in my late 20s and I am in modest shape to say the least. I just do want to be blindsided and be the Pvt Pyle of the group.
>>
>>34957086
don't* obv
>>
>>34957086
C 2 5k and do your push ups/ sit ups till they're decent enough for the PFT.

If you can score decently on the PFT going in, you'll be fine.
>>
I'm taking the ASVAB pre-test at my recruiter's office tomorrow. How hard can I expect it to be?
>>
>>34935346
>>34935346
>Any /reenlist/ anons in here?
I'm planning to retrain into 1B4x1 (cyber security), and I'll need more retainability than I can get by extending.
The AF has been good to me so far, and really, I just don't feel like I'm done yet.

I've got about 4 more months until it's time to pull the trigger.
>>
>>34955179
pros vs cons?
>>
Selection board met today
I'm stressed out about tomorrow

Wish me luck
>>
when i join service, where will i be able to store my funs?
>>
>>34957892
yes
>>
File: 1502819548233.png (116KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1502819548233.png
116KB, 500x465px
>>34958005
thank you for your service
>>
>>34957892
You're supposed to store them in your unit's armory if you live in the barracks that only works if you can trust the armorers not to steal it. If you're married and you don't live in the barracks then you can store them at home,.
>>
>>34956266
No. Have a guy who's 25+ in my dep right now going pilot. Ocs is full of people who had good careers but wanted to change.

Protip, have great GPA, obvious competence, and flight hours or a license.
>>
>>34937202
RRC: FOX/MSF
ISA: Third Echelon
CAG G Squadron: Ghost Recon
>>
>>34938867
5 miles in 32 minutes is pretty good man.
>>
Just got thanked for my service. What is the best way to reply?

I've been saying "It's my honor" or "People like you make it worthwhile."
>>
>>34959890
>thank you for your service!
>y-you too..
>>
NEW THREAD

>>34960089
>>34960089
>>34960089

NEW THREAD
>>
>>34957879
What're you putting in for?
>>
>>34960091
hasn't hit bump limit yet
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.