[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 30

File: 1501963515292.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
1501963515292.gif
2MB, 300x164px
Section 8 edition

>Discord
https://discordapp.com/invite/ZJPxxTj

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml
US Army High school to Flight school

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga (embed)

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke???
No.
http://i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png (embed)
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253 (embed)
>>
Someone give me the rundown on 68x.
>>
>>34832963
heh.

Guys,
SARC, Army SOCM, 18Delta, or SEAL Medic?
>>
I've been thinking about joining the British Army after I finish Universtity. So far my girlfriend and my parents have exspressed disapproval.
I guess I hope the army can transform me into something more respectable and capable. The more I think about the potential risks, the more I feel like a coward and that I have to do it.
>>
>going into marines as 03

I fell for the meme. What should I prepare myself for?
>>
File: air force sarc.jpg (2MB, 2792x1976px) Image search: [Google]
air force sarc.jpg
2MB, 2792x1976px
>>34832981
air force sarc. the real military
>>
>>34833014
The Corps is soft now. Boots in my brothers Company got all bitchy because they were offered a drink and they thought it was hazing.
Meanwhile my brother last year had to deal with Senior lense carpools smashing beers on the ground and going door to door to fuck around with boots, which at the time was my brother.
His SSGt was also a dick.
>>
Put in my application for the Air Force Academy as enlisted.

Four years of tradoc, yaaaaaay
>>
>>34833030
Say it ain't so

>mfw got my ass kicked by my drunken crew chief the day I was assigned to his track

Alcoholic Senior Lances are the best
>>
File: 1455238192779.png (139KB, 273x220px) Image search: [Google]
1455238192779.png
139KB, 273x220px
Friendly reminders:
>/meg/ is a great source of general information, but you should by no means solely rely on a 4chan board to determine your enlistment decisions.
>Your job choice is more important than the branch you choose.
>Don't go infantry during a time of peace.
>It is advised not to trust people who have been out of the military for more than 10 years, as they are wearing rose-tinted glasses and look back upon their time with pleasant nostalgia.
>Get. Everything. Your. Recruiter. Tells. You. In. Writing.
>Your recruiters are salesmen first and foremost. Your interests are secondary to their monthly goals. Do not be afraid to say no.

Thank you all, and have a pleasant thread.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13619090
>>
>>34833022
I need a serious answer.
>>
File: 1495646779869.jpg (7KB, 210x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495646779869.jpg
7KB, 210x200px
Should I join the army to become a tanker? i'm a fucking 5'9 manlet and being inside an M1 looks cozy as shit
>>
>>34833392
>Don't go infantry during a time of peace
What if Im going for the officer route?
>>
>>34833392
>>Don't go infantry during a time of peace.

esblain
>>
>>34834341
>5 foot 9
>manlet
Stop falling for /fit/ memes
>>
>>34834422
Its boring and theres nothing to do. Youll get hazed, go on stupid moto runs, do stupid moto shit, go out in the field, get deployed to japan to do jack shit.
>>34834374
even worse cuz enlisted hate officers
>>
>>34834341
Also, there is LITERALLY nothing cozy about being inside of a sweatbox for hours and hours upon end with no ventilation
>>
Thinking of joining the Army, and then pursuing a degree in business/finance/economics afterwards. If I just go with 11B, that shouldn't be a problem right? Or is there something I should be aware of?

>>34834447
Ah okay, thought you were suggesting that the benefits would be downplayed or something. I remember someone once told me that when you join the Army, no one tells you how painfully boring it can be.
>>
File: muhreen corp.png (179KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
muhreen corp.png
179KB, 500x515px
>>34834422
>esblain
Seriously? What good is training for war and to kill people during peacetime? Your days will consist of pt, pt, vacuuming the parking lot, and some pt. You learn NO transferable job skills.

The military is a lot of fun, but you MUST learn a job/skill that translates to the civilian world.
>>
>>34834499
>you MUST learn a job/skill that translated to the civilian world

no
>>
>>34834499
>The military is a lot of fun, but you MUST learn a job/skill that translates to the civilian world.
Its called the Gi Bill nigger
>>
>>34834476

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just a waste of time/energy compared to a job that might actually get you some transferable skills.

The best thing you could do in the military for a future business/finance career would be to commission and build a professional network. If you must enlist, something on the technical/analytical side could at least give you a leg up later on and give you the chance to get some college done on active duty.

An enlistment as an 11B is likely to be fairly boring in the current era, and put you behind your peers.
>>
>>34834521

Currently using my GI Bill for grad school because I got my undergrad while serving. I definitely couldn't have pulled that off without picking the right job.
>>
>>34832981
SARC is just a less high-speed SEAL medic. Green Berets ARE Army SOCOM.
>>
>>34834560
no I know but SOC-M can or will be with Rangers only while 18D is Green berets. Is there any inherent benefit from going with one over the other?
>>
how 2 polish my boots shiny
>>
>>34834515
making lots of boyfriends at military school?
>>34834521
Yep using mine right now, you jrotc scum.

You guys are just the next wave of dipshits who are gonna be macho tough guys by joining the infantry. You'll get thrown into the real world at 22, start looking for a job, and your resume will say hurr durr I can breakdown an M4 in 12 seconds.
>>
>>34834600
Don't worry about it, you are not destined for Special Operations.

No one itt will be operators, ever. Hard reality but the truth.
>>
>>34834770
>making lots of boyfriends at military school?

Whatdidhemeanbythis

No really, what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>34834770
>You'll get thrown into the real world at 22, start looking for a job

or they can just start college and look for a career once they graduate. There's no need to rush things Anon.
>>
>>34834447
Who gives a fuck what they think.

Why would I give a shit about civ skills when I'm going to be in the military till I'm 40 then retire with a fat stack.
>>
Realistically, how difficult are hospital folds?
>>
Any 15Ts on here? Looks like a cool jarb
>>
>>34834861

DESU if you don't want to rush stuff you can just hang out at home playing videogames and being a NEET until like 28, then enlist and get going on adult life. Getting out of the military at 22 without at least half a college degree means you're behind your peers who made good life choices.

>>34834918

Realistically, you will probably have to be shown how to do it twice, then it will take half a dozen or so attempts on your own until you're doing it passably. So...like a 15 minute investment of your time in total.
>>
What is life as a 68W like? Will I get made fun of me being a dirty POG?
>>
>>34834808
Idk, if anything the internet says, its that Marines easily pass Ranger school. 8 years active oughta help.

>>34834878
They hate you because you don't go through the same shit as them. They get hazed, you dont. They have the sweep sand and pickup trahs, you dont. Etc etc. That one retarded LT in Generation kill is a prime example of what comes out of OCS. Many Marines want a mustang for an officer instead of a fresh harvard graduate.
>>
Planning on joining the army after i finish my associates degree. I got an 85 on the asvab and 121+ on my lines scores. I was looking at the 14 series but am not sure i want the chance to shoot/blow shit up but i dont want to do infinatry or cav for obvious reasons. Any thought or recommendations?
>>
>>34835367

>Many Marines want a mustang for an officer instead of a fresh harvard graduate.

This is a fantasy. Most of the Mustangs I had as officers were too stuck in the NCO mindset to be effective. They were awesome at the buddy-buddy shit because they "got" enlisted life, but the unit usually suffered compared to when we had someone who was actually invested in being an O-type.

Go look at the statistics for how few mustangs actually lead successful officer careers. Most of them burn out hard after O-3 (the last time they get to bro out with enlisted), and retire as O-3s/O-4s without ever holding significant officer rank.
>>
>>34834808
...why? Lack of contracts?

Its a tough thing to shoot for; i dont wanna cardio for 8 years and get discharged for being too old, and then work at mcdonalds.

I guess ill try for force recon and then just hop mos if socom prospects look grim.
>>
>>34835367
Lt. Fick was a non-prior who went to OCS and came out of Dartmouth.
>>
Are all forms of Depression considered same thing by enlistment and general military standards?
Like can someone from, or stationed in dark place who gets Seasonal Affect Disorder be considered the same as someone who has Major Depression and get chaptered out or denied enlistment?
I seriously don't understand military medical well other than it seems fucked up.
>>
>>34834422
u gon be a janitor
>>
>>34834554
>I definitely couldn't have pulled that off without picking the right job
>>34834554
Agree but thats nothing to do with
>but you MUST learn a job/skill that translates to the civilian world
>>34834770
>Yep using mine right now, you jrotc scum
???
Im a vet using mine you moron which is why
>You'll get thrown into the real world at 22, start looking for a job, and your resume will say hurr durr I can breakdown an M4 in 12 seconds
means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>34835753
I never said he was a mustang.
I said hes an example of what enlisted think of officers. Half the time they are right.
>>
>>34832950
I can swim but I'm not like Michael Phelps in the pool, how do I train to pass CCT pool certs??
>>
>>34834560
>>34834600
SOC-M is Rangers, CA, Psyops, or 160th
>>
>>34836112
take lessons. seriously.

what do you see as your deficit in the water?
>>
>>34834600
All US Army SOF medics attend and have to pass SOCM. A 68W in the 75th goes RASP>SOCM>batt. In SOAR, greenplt>SOCM=flight medic course. 18D is SOCM>rest of 18 pipeline.

By and far 18D are the most qualified medics due to their scope of practice.

>>34834808
You'd be surprised, there's weirdos in every field. Albeit rare as fuck.
>>
>>34836145
not that anon but i cant really swim freestyle, i can only do doggy paddle, but im real good at it.
>>
>>34834965
Not a 15T but yes it is a fantastic job. Go to SOAR selection and live the cush life.
>>
>>34836112
>how do I train to pass CCT pool certs??
just practice, I once saw a vid of PJs practicing for dive school and they would throw weights in the pool and do underwater lifts. Also you may want to learn about ATC
>>
>>34836170
>i can only do doggy paddle, but im real good at it
>but im real good at it
No you arent.
>>34836184
>I once saw a vid of PJs practicing for dive school and they would throw weights in the pool and do underwater lifts
>do underwater lifts
Thats either a lie or a joke. You get better at swimming by swimming there is no magic trick.
>>
>>34836145
I can swim decently but my technique is ass and I don't feel 100% comfortable in the water. I can swim fine and keep my head above water but I don't know how I'll fare during survival swimming or group breathing like I've seen in most videos
>>
>>34836261
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiejN0A6KM&t=254s
>>
>>34836261
yes i am bitch. im a god at doggy paddle.
>>
>>34836299
cancer music but good vid.
>>
>>34836299
Oh fuck I seriously thought you meant they were down there doing curls. ya theyre just grabbing rubber bricks lots of pools have those.
>>34836311
Well like thta other dude said go take lessons. YMCA with the kids nig
>>
>>34836156
Mark my words; I will be the first hentai artist in marsoc.
>>
>>34836337
That moment when you get put on detail to help out secret squirrels on their compound as opfor and the office of the person in charge has an Astora flag on his wall.
>>
>>34836337

Way too l8 m8. I know some weeb-as-fuck operators.
>>
>>34836179
Not him but i would like to eventually be a SOAR pilot would it be a bad idea to pick to fly an apache helicopter since Is not an airframe use in SOAR?
>>
>>34834808
realest shit that is ever posted in /meg/ right here
>>
Is there anyone who knows about the Canadian Armed Forces? Preferably about joining the RMC as an officer cadet.
>>
>>34836379
Well, your first goal is to be a rotary pilot so focus on that.

Second, every SOAR pilot attends the selection process after being headhunted basically. And during selection they only fly little birds. If you pass they assign you an aircraft regardless of your previous one.

Go in and do your best. Apaches are usually given to prior/crosstrain. While the best are given Chinook over Blackhawks. This is outside of SOAR, inside I have no idea. I'm not in that field of work but what I mentioned above I know to be true.
>>
>>34836103
Fick was the competent PL is what the other anon was saying. Captain America and Encino Man were the other junior officers superior to Fick and they sucked, not the other way around.
>>
File: 1397604780626.png (46KB, 304x311px) Image search: [Google]
1397604780626.png
46KB, 304x311px
At what point are you locked into a specific branch?

I can basically back out at any time before signing the final contract if my recruiter happens to promise me something and not go through with it, yeah?
>>
>>34836612
Yes, you can be in line at MEPS to sign the contract, say "yeah no I want to go for TACP instead" and show yourself out.

Your recruiter is going to be pissed as shit when he takes you back to the station, but you'll never see him again so whatever.
>>
>>34836706
Do you get a draft of it before even going to MEPs to review, so that you can say "No, X isn't correct" before wasting the drive out there?
>>
File: IMGA0223.jpg (118KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMGA0223.jpg
118KB, 640x480px
>>34834422

Former 03(Marine infantry) who deployed twice to Afghanistan here. I like to explain it like this:

Imagine you are a heavyweight boxer and you train for a fight for months or even years, or perhaps the lead role in a broadway play that you spend months/year preparing for. All that time spent meticulously honing your craft. The long, frustrating, taxing days and nights spent preparing just waiting for the day that your training is put to the test. When the time comes to perform, you are going to be eager to go out and prove yourself. It's no different in the infantry. You spend so much time being miserable, uncomfortable, and just plain pissed. The infantry sucks 99% of the time, the 1%(combat) is what makes it worth it. Without that 1%, the infantry is an unfulfilling experience, and you will always regret never being given the chance to test what you are made of.

But, if you win the lottery and a war actually does break out somewhere, you get to be on the frontlines of an invasion, the wet dream of any proper infantryman. I will always be envious of those who served in 2001-03 because of this and was fortunate enough to have several of them as my superiors and mentors.
>>
>>34836899
Unrelated, but what was living in Afghanistan like? Did you have access to amenities like water and electricity?
>>
>>34836899
Do you recommend becoming a Marine infantry officer? I understand we are at peacetime, but I would like at least a chance to lead people in battle.
>>
>>34836966
You can't lead anyone in battle if there's no battle
>>
>>34836727
Nope. That's the old game they play, they drag you out of bed with promises of the exact contract and additional schools you asked for, then you get to the desk and its 25M instead of 25E or whatever.

Keep cool and wait the extra month until you actually get what you want. Or take one for the team and pack parachutes for four years, its up to you.
>>
>>34836899
This guy tells the truth.

Airborne infantry snipper dipper being all cool shooting some bball outside the school if anyone has questions.
>>
>>34837016
Wow, that is extremely shitty of them.

>This isn't what I wanted
>So?
>So I'm not signing something I didn't want.
>WOW WTF THAT'S RIDICULOUS WAY TO WASTE MY TIME!

I'm hoping to fuck that this doesn't prohibit you from going to another recruiter, does it?
>>
>>34837037
Your sergeant won't get pissed if you decline a different contract than what you agreed on, but he would get pissed if you decided you'd rather join the Navy at the very last minute. They put work into their applicants and they don't exactly get praised when someone drops out at the last second.

The recruiting process is fucking brutal, though, and you're not in it to make friends. Do what's right by you and a good recruiter will understand.
>>
>>34837092
Alright cool. I figured it would be pretty shitty of them to sign you up in a completely different job field than what you had agreed upon and then made you look like the bad guy.
>>
>>34836469
Thx for the btw I'm also interested in piloting fixed wing. If I mainly wanted to do CAS missions would it be better to go go for fixed wing or stick to rotary wing?
>>
File: DSCF0430_1.jpg (592KB, 1408x1056px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0430_1.jpg
592KB, 1408x1056px
>>34836940

My first deployment in 2010 my platoon was inserted by ospreys about 3 km behind taliban lines and took over a group of conjoined compounds. We turned it into a patrol base and operated out of it for the remainder of our deployment. This place was straight out of the stone age. The compound walls were made of thick mud. We lived in rooms like these cramped 8 or 9 people into a room the size of an average living room. We had no running water and went almost 5 months without bathing. Our hair became so matted with sweat and dirt that the command stopped enforcing haircut regulations. We all had flees and it mae falling asleep a chore. We shit into plastic bags and burned them along with all of our other trash in a giant burn pit. We saw heavy action, nearly every patrol that went out more than 200 meters from our PB would take fire. We had a gasoline generator that was mostly used to power our equipment, but the command spared us a single, 6 outlet power strip for us to charge our ipods and other small electronic devices on. Our PB had about 80 people living on it so getting a spot on the outlet could sometimes take several days. The only contact we had with the outside world was through mail. Vehicles could not traverse the terrain of our AO. We were foot mobile the entire deployment, and we often took contact from within 50 meters, especially when the poppy plants grew tall.

My second deployment in 2012 was a fucking joke. We were in an area that had been pacified for two years. We lived on a big secure base with tents and air conditioning, showers, electricity, internet shacks. We only got shot at twice in the 7 months and both times it was just some chucklefuck spraying a magazine from his ak at us from like 700 meters away, and I was in the back of an MRAP so i didnt even get to do anything. Such a frustrating waste of time. At least I had plenty of time to catch up on my anime backlog.
>>
File: 1493647555256.png (931KB, 636x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493647555256.png
931KB, 636x960px
>>34837162
How does Afghanistan smell?
>>
>>34836966

How old are you? If you are still a kid like 18-20 years old I would recommend doing a 4 year enlistment as a grunt first. You may find out its not for you, or you may be even more inspired to become an officer. If you do still want to become one, the GI bill will pay for you to get a degree. and then apply to go to OCS.

If you are older than 21 though you should probably just go through the typical college->OCS route. dont bother with any academies or ROTC, just focus on your degree then apply to OCS
>>
>>34837162
Holy fucking shit, son. Was it just you grunts, or did you have people from other MOSes there as well?
>>
>>34836337
Was with more weebs joining the military recently?
>>
>>34837162
Shit, sorry for your service man.
This is why I tell everyone I'd only join during war time.
Sure what you just said sounds like ass and it definitely was ass. But why serve if youre just gonna be "at home".

..So basically what you said.
>>
>>34837229
I am 20 years old and debating between med school, Marine OCS and Navy OCS. Kind of wish i did an enlistment as an HM out of high school but im halfway through my college degree now.
>>
>>34837230

About 50 of us were grunts, the rest were guys like EOD, combat engineers, JTAC, interpreters, a few radio guys, etc. And 1 guy who we only knew as "Mr. Newhouse" who I am 99% sure was CIA
>>
>>34837269
>And 1 guy who we only knew as "Mr. Newhouse" who I am 99% sure was CIA
????????????
>>
>>34837162
Did you ever lose anyone during your first deployment?
>>
>>34837034
Plan on enlisting soon. How does one go Airborne? I heard that if you don't have airborne signed in your contract or are placed in a striker unit, you're chances are almost zero.
>>
>>34837297

yes, and many double amputees.
>>
>>34837544
my condolences
>>
>>34836899
>>34837162
What did you do after you left the Marines Anon?
>>
>>34836899
Why not become a foreign fighter then? Guaranteed to see action in that case.
>>
>>34837596
>>34837592

I've been to active combat zones in Africa and Europe since I got out. I volunteered with anti-poaching rangers in Tanzania, and I tried to join the french foreign legion without success unfortunately. Other than that I've worked odd seasonal labor jobs back here in the states.
>>
>>34837596
Poor training, poor equipment, poor nutrition, greater chance of death. Being an infantryman is one thing, being part of a shitshow of a fighting force is another.

But if it's for a cause you believe in, more power to you.
>>
>>34832950
what will happen if they find out that you can type 90wpm?
>>
>>34837777

>I've been to active combat zones in Africa and Europe since I got out. I volunteered with anti-poaching rangers in Tanzania, and I tried to join the french foreign legion

What the fuck are you an 80s action hero? nice quads btw.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiEbl4kgaU4

>the age of conventional war is basically over
>you will NEVER raid fallujah with the boys
>>
I had a year long stint with anti-depressants as a teenager. How fucked am I? I know the policy is be off em for a year but I'm told it fucks you out of alot of MOS options.
>>
>>34838449
How about not telling them about it?
>>
>>34838493
It's probably in records somewhere, what if they find it and I get some kind of criminal charge? Am I better off trying to get it waived?
>>
File: 1494338473953.jpg (93KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
1494338473953.jpg
93KB, 500x436px
>USAR
>Drill in like 2 hours
>It's a range day
>>
>>34837907
They always say that war is over, but war like love and life finds a way friend.
>>
>>34838541
Get a goal, perform well, and the running won't be painful anymore.

You should always be more terrified of a shit career than of immediate suffering, even if that may entail death.
>>
>>34838765

>You should always be more terrified of a shit career than of immediate suffering, even if that may entail death.

This is s universal truth in all walks of life, if I fail at all my major avenues going forward I'm eating one of my funs.
>>
Are you ever allowed to use your own weapon or attachments to use on service weapon?
>>
>Do week 3 day 1 of c25k
>Next day legs sore as shit
>Essentially sit at home all day
>Heart rate is increased now
Did I just lose all my progress because I did nothing for 1 day?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-f0YI3affg

I wanna look like the dude on the right
>>
>>34837249
It's not a recent phenomenon. If weebs had been around in previous eras then they'd have been in the military then too
>>
>>34837823

Nothing, there's very little demand for typists in the modern military.

If they find out you can write code they're probably going to lock you in the cyber mines though.
>>
>>34838821

No. That's not how the military works. Even in SOF it's not "just bring whatever you want from home".
>>
>>34838821
You can use your own optic as long as its been qualified at the range for Marines. That was awhile ago tho.
>>
File: female dietitian.jpg (79KB, 534x448px) Image search: [Google]
female dietitian.jpg
79KB, 534x448px
Is it true that military females are on a first name basis with their superiors?
>>
>>34838449
lie
>>
>>34838521
>what if they find it
they won't
>I get some kind of criminal charge
you won't, that's only for ppl who lie about criminal shit
>>
>>34838822
>Did I just lose all my progress because I did nothing for 1 day?
of course not just recycle the week
>>
>>34839224
Start over at day 1? Hokey.

[nospoiler] rip lungs [onk/spoiler]
>>
>>34837162
Fuck, I'm going into marines and chose infantry. Reading posts like yours and reading books about what life is like on a combat deployment should scare me but it doesn't. I think that fact alone scares me more than anything.

I guess I'll never truly understand it unless I'm fighting.
>>
>>34839269
just that week so yes week 3 day 1.
Btw buddy fi youre struggling already you must be insanely out of shape.
>>
>>34834613
>>34834613
>>34834613
>>34834613
>>
>>34839285
that dude is literally advocating not joining infantry right now though, since there aren't any active combat theatres
>>
>>34839301
oh no trust me I did a fuck ton of ammo can squats, ketttle lunges, goblet squats, etc afterwards. Hence the soreness. I was just worried that sitting for one day reset my progress. And my lung only burns towards the end but sometimes I get cramps.
>>
>>34837254
Go med school and get HPSP, so you can actually get paid in the military,and graduate Med school with no debt.
>>
>>34839463
>ust worried that sitting for one day reset my progress
Nigger cmon. thats like saying fi you forget to read for one day youll forget forever. Just recycle the week and stop stressing voer literally nothing.
>>
>>34839398
I'm young and dumb. Why would I listen to reason?
>>
>>34839553
Joining before the next expansion is a good way to make rank when it happens, but most /k/tards can't be arsed to think "career".

Most of any career is spent at peace. Plan thoughtfully.
>>
>>34839553
Like the other guy said, it seems like infantry is only worth it if you are SOF or if there is a war going on. By all means, do what you want, just go in knowing that you might spend 4 years doing basically nothing.
>>
>>34837792
Foriegn Fighter are also almost useless. They taje up needed resources, get little done and really just get in the way because they just don't know what they're doing. I watched a video about three brits who went over to Afghanistan to fight. They would sit on their asses, finally decide to do something, meet up like their going to a concert, attempt the objective, fail and then call in proper support like an armoured vehicle or air strike. Then at the end of the day theyd have a party and go home.
>>
Anons, I'm thinking of joining the British army after I finish my University course in three years. I feel like it would help me develop into a better person, hammer some discipline me to then take on adult hood. I've always viewed soldiers as being on a higher level then average people, I see their uniforms and how people respect them and wish I could be treated like they are. The more I think about it the more it intimidates me, and the more I feel I should do it too prove im not a coward.
>>
>>34839794
Buddy if you want to do it then do it. Does britian offer any kind of schooling discount? Cause if they did id say join now and go to school after.
>>
>>34839794
Have you considered becoming an officer? Do universities there have an ROTC equivalent? If so, do that.
>>
I got a 98 on my asvab, and have a ride to University of Alabama for aerospace engineering. I'm a ULD runner and am on the varsity swim team. I've always been afraid of spending my whole life behind a desk, but have only only recently considered military, though not sure what I want to do.

Any jobs that are a challenge and travel a lot? Are my opportunities for a combat MOS diminished because they want me in a braniac program?
>>
File: US Navy Lieutenant Jonny Kim.jpg (2MB, 1344x1914px) Image search: [Google]
US Navy Lieutenant Jonny Kim.jpg
2MB, 1344x1914px
>>34840760
>Any jobs that are a challenge and travel a lot?
Sounds like every SOF job (Navy SEALs or SF)

Pic related, a SEAL officer
>>
>>34840760
Talk to the ROTC programs there and ask about special operations officer positions
>>
>>34840790
>>34840824
Am I shit out of luck to get an ROTC seal officer slot if all UoA has is army ROTC? I hear they're very competitive too, if I don't get it, should I just enlist straight to SEALs or go through Navy OCS and serve however long it takes for a slot to open up?
>>
>>34840824
>>34840916

If you want to do SOF you should probably enlist. It's hard enough to get into without dealing with officer politics. I don't know about SEALS but for SF you have to make captain first and be a flawless individual. There are fewer than 500 ODAs and each one only has one officer compared to 11 enlisted. I don't know how things work for the SEALS but SF is generally considered the "smartest" SOF.
>>
What branch do Chads go to?
>>
>>34841040
MARSOC marines
>>
>>34841040
Navy
>>
>>34840760
Have you tried looking into being a pilot?
>>
>>34841163
No, but it's on the table I guess. SOAR would be cool, but it's not the same kind of "challenge" I'm looking for if you know what I mean. It's certainly challenging, but a different kind of challenging.
>>
>>34840760
>>34841403
18x end of story
>>
Legitimate questions:
Marines were seen as extremely respectable during World War I and WW2, so when did they begin to be seen as crayon eaters and ASVAB waivers?

Was it the marketing?
>>
>>34842264
>Was it the marketing?
Yes, the were a victim of their own success. Cause any high speed guys with a even half a brain goes SOF so only jocks with rocks for brains go marines.
>>
>>34842287
Is that to say there isn't anything to offer aside from infantry? Surely all of their jobs can't be bad.
>>
>>34842303
Look up USMC 0370

Also they are the only ones getting the VTOL F-35. Are you interested in ROTC?
>>
>>34842303
Any job they have another branch has a better version of that also advances faster and gets treated better. There is no reason whatsoever to join the marines ever.
>>
File: 1407990452656.png (361KB, 471x389px) Image search: [Google]
1407990452656.png
361KB, 471x389px
>>34842337
I'm currently in a predicament because, despite having a pretty respectable ASVAB score, the only jobs that really appeal to me are ones where I can write and produce content, journalistic things. The Navy has a similar rate but it's extremely hard to come by.

Should I just completely nix the Marines if they're able to get me that job when noone else can?
>>
>>34842371
Are you that idiot who keeps posting about wanting to be a mass com guy in the Navy? Dude we all keep telling you that shit is gay pick something different.
>>
>>34842383
No, this is actually my first time posting in one of these threads.
>>
Need info on 91j Army Quatermaster and Chemical Equipment repair. Army video on Youtube doesn't really provide in-depth information
>>
>>34842388
Well theres some other guy who keeps saying the same thing. Look join either the army or navy and choose a good job youll enjoy and has good advancement.
>>
>>34842409
Will do. I'll table the Marines for now and check those out. Thank you!
>>
>>34842421
Well what are you interested aside from journalism or what would you like to do? Im a navy vet so i can point you in the right direction.
>>
File: you're lying Morgan.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
you're lying Morgan.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
Anyone know the weight limit for someone who is 66"? Going to reception next week and need to know my limit, somewhat having a panic attack. Army Website says up to 170lbs but that seems vague
>>
>>34842452
>Army Website says up to 170lbs but that seems vague
???????????
>>
>>34842433
Public Affairs stuff, as mentioned. I've also heard great things about the Intelligence field. Photography would be very interesting as well.
>>
>>34842466
What I mean by this is that at weigh in before I get shipped to reception is if I weigh like 168-169 will they tape me or will they sign off on me and send me through to reception, I'm nervous m8 even though I shouldn't be
>>
>>34842477
If you get taped so what. No big deal dude. If you have any muscle chances are youll be over and need to get taped. No big deal.
>>34842469
Go intelligence cause that other stuff is gay and a dead end. No one taking photos is ranking up fast.
>>
Is having flat feet a disqualification in leaf forces?

>still hesitating about enlisting
>26 yo in 4 months
>>
File: This displeases god.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
This displeases god.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>34842519
I'm not muscular, I'm just a normal body type, but I feel like my gut sticks out. I don't know what my waist limit is and that's what has me nervous. I just don't wanna get sent home for any reason, I've mentally invested too much into this to have a doctor say "You didn't pass tape, come back in 3 months" or some shit like that, it'll kill my already low self-esteem
>>
>>34842548
Nigger chill. Just fast for 2 days prior if youre worries.
>>
>>34842557
kek that's what I started today, and I ran on/off about 10 miles today. I am stupid and stress the small insignificant details.

>But if I fail tape, can I "ask" to be put in fat camp instead of being sent home?
I'd rather suffer that then the shame of going home
>>
>>34842576
>kek that's what I started today
well make sure youre doing it right
>>
Any navy reserves here? Im trying to find specifics on reserves benefits vs active, but all im finding is the usual "see the world! Great benefits!" shit that doesnt go into details. Ive got some medical stuff i want to get checked out before i go active, just to make sure it wont get worse while im serving. Id ask a recruiter, but the closest one barely knew anything about the job i wanted, so i dont trust them much.
>>
>>34842601
Technically I cheated so i'm doing it wrong, I had a protein shake after my run
>>
>>34842519
>taking photos
Aren't Public Affairs the same retards who were killing each other?

https://www.stripes.com/news/europe/oliver-found-guilty-in-afn-murder-1.326230
>>
>>34837322
You attend the school and your unit has to be airborne. If you get it in your contract you're almost guaranteed to be in an airborne unit.
>>
>>34842615
I suppose. Whats your point?
>>34842608
Dont do that. Going from reseves to active is difficult. Youre better off waiting.
>>34842613
Well thats not the end of the world but if youre serious zero calories is the way to go.
>>
File: winning.jpg (140KB, 906x993px) Image search: [Google]
winning.jpg
140KB, 906x993px
>>34842640
No calories coming up, I plan on running tomorrow and the morning before I get put in my hotel, then the night before they send me to weigh in
>>
>>34842640
>reserves to active is dificult
Ive been told that before, but was also told if they can put something in my contract saying i have a set amount of time to decide if i want to go active and that would make it a lot easier when i do go active. Not sure if you asvab matters for this, but if i studied i could easily get a high 80 or more, my last practice one was 78 or so.
>better off waiting
I was hoping to use my military healthcare to get it looked at. Its a pretty serious disorder (ehlerls danlos) that can cause tons of stuff, organ rupture, spine curvature that can crush your lungs, and tons of other fun things. For obvious reasons id like these issues to be discovered after im in, i dont want to risk a perma DQ because i got it checked out before and now its on my record
>>
Is it worth going to the Academy to fly airplane
>>
>>34842532
Well United Statesian here but I seriously doubt it. I've made it through MEPS three times total with completely flat feet. Fallen arches are very common and were morso a lame excuse to dodge the draft back in the day. I didn't even need a waiver.
>>
>>34833030

This is what my experience was like hitting the fleet in 2008:

>Fly from CA to NC in our uncomfortable as fuck service alphas
>Get picked up by our company gunny and a salty pissed off corporal driving a bluebird bus.
>Arrive at the COC and report in
>Apparently the entire unit had just left on a 12 day field op the day before.
>We get assigned to our companies and for the next 11 days do absolutely nothing but chill with the RBE element, 2 formations a day at 9 AM and 3 PM and we took care of admin stuff like CIF issue in between.
>Start thinking to myself that the fleet isn't so bad
>The day finally came that the unit got back from the field.
>They get in at like 2230, Myself and my roomates just hid in our room praying that we weren't fucked with
>Around midnight hear loud continuous crashes on our door saying "OPEN UP FUCKERS ITS THE DUTY"
>knew our time was up
>Open the door to 5 of our shirtless drunk seniors, no duty in sight
>They knew we had been chilling in the rear for 11 days while they had been getting rained on in the field and were ready to get some revenge for it.
>Throw each of us a fourloko(the old ones that still had ridiculous amounts of caffiene and more alcohol) and tell us all to chug it.
>I was 18 and had barely even drank alcohol before my life.
>I finish last in the chug contest
>This means that I have to box my senior while wearing our gas masks.
>This all happened out in the quad in front of the barracks where everyone from the surrounding 3 barracks buildings could watch from their catwalks.
>He caught me with a mean 1-2 and knocked me flat.
>Can hardly balance myself, not sure if due to the punch or the fourloko, probably both
>They run me into the shower and make me do jumping jacks with my gas mask on with a bunch of steam everywhere
>I puke my brains out into my gasmask
>seemingly over me, they move on to fucking my buddies who arrived with me
>black the fuck out in my bed
>>
How does being married work in the Navy. does she live in a house on the barracks or does it depend what base. looking to join as a HM if that matters at all. I don't really know anyting about it so thanks in advance
>>
>>34842901
>How does being married work in the Navy.
Simple: be into wife swapping.
>>
>>34842901
It works like this
You deploy and your wife becomes a base whore and fucks all the locals and while youre deployed you fuck a bunch of asian and russian prostitutes.
>>
>>34842915
>Russian prostitutes
Anon you're making me want to join the Navy
>>
How are the British paratroopers? Boring because nothing's going on at the moment?

Should I join the Paratroopers?
>>
>>34843002
if ur an 18 year old in bongistan then try to get a finance/actuary science degree
>>
>>34843008
I'm retarded and an under achiever
>>
File: Fort-de-Nogent.jpg (607KB, 800x972px) Image search: [Google]
Fort-de-Nogent.jpg
607KB, 800x972px
>>34843002

If you wanna be a paratrooper go join the French Foreign Legion and try for the 2eme REP. They actually get deployed to Africa to take down 90 lb africans with shitty AKs all the time. They also still disallow faggots and women.
>>
>>34843028
Well that'd be an option to join U.S. forces for the GI bill, money and scholarships, but i'm not sure what you get in bongistan.

Depending on your ambition, trade school could be a good bet.
>>
>>34842915
Which branch is best for fugging foreign prostitutes?
>>
>>34842976
Theyre the most expensive and are all over asia.
>>34843102
Obviously Navy
>>
>>34843102
Navy travels the most so probably them.
>>
>>34842452
Just read Article 600-9 about body weight composition, if I end up exceeding my weight I have 180 to get my shit together basically.

Can anyone confirm this actually happening or will I just flat out get sent home
>>
File: 1492291658116.jpg (241KB, 650x975px) Image search: [Google]
1492291658116.jpg
241KB, 650x975px
>>34843102
Air force will accuse you of everything in the book if they hear about it and they genuinely believe "rape culture" is a thing. So just never mention it.

Every other branch is a pretty good sport. Also Navy and USMC travel the most. Army has the most bases in Euro land.
>>
>>34843107
As a child I learned, if it's expensive its good.
>I need to reenlist in the navy when I finish my Army contract
>>
>>34842843
That sounds awesone
>>
File: rachel cook.jpg (154KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
rachel cook.jpg
154KB, 1080x1350px
>>34843122
>f it's expensive its good.
Especially when women are involved. Know why enlistedfags have fat wives. Because fat broads are cheaper. Way cheaper than this.

Women are a commodity and like a house, they can put you financially under water at the drop of a hat (ask any homeowner who bought a house in the 1980s in a wealthy manufacturing city).
>>
>>34843122
You could if you wanted i suppose
>>34843160
>Know why enlistedfags have fat wives. Because fat broads are cheaper. Way cheaper than this.
Thats actually not why. Its cause theyre young stupid and usually ugly so thats the only wives they can get.
>>
File: young women for older men.png (830KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
young women for older men.png
830KB, 597x597px
>>34843185
>ugly
Means nothing. Women are a commodity and commodities don't care about whether or not a buyer is attractive.
>>
>>34843185
What are the pre-reqs for reenlisting into another branch?

I'v been watching a whole bunch of JTSuits on Youtube and Aviation Warfare is by far the coolest job ever. I'm joining the Army as a 91J Quartermaster and Chemical Equipment repairer and feel dumb for not looking into that before joining
>>
>>34843262
Is this a joke?
>>
>>34843341
>What are the pre-reqs for reenlisting into another branch?
Varies branch by branch I believe.
>I'v been watching a whole bunch of JTSuits on Youtube and Aviation Warfare is by far the coolest job ever
?????
>>
>>34843262
They just care about how much money youre making so they know how much they can spend while youre deployed
>>
>>34843344
Take a look at the ugliest commander on any given base. His social standing is his buying power. This is why the female junior officers and enlisted hunger for him.
>>
>>34843355
>I'v been watching a whole bunch of JTSuits on Youtube and Aviation Warfare is by far the coolest job ever

He has a few clips and footage friends gave him about Aviation Warfare in the Navy, I'll try to find it and link it here
>>
>>34843366
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMsbBLfI1yM
>>
File: sizzledick.png (1MB, 979x703px) Image search: [Google]
sizzledick.png
1MB, 979x703px
>That moment when your Drill Instructor annihilates that one fuck up and all that's left of him are his boots.
>>
I have a question, who is Jody and why is he fucking my non-existent girlfriend?
>>
>>34835285
Cash or meddac you will want to kill yourself. Line units like their medics, but be prepared to look at a lot of dicks. Bsb life will be pretty chill, you won't get the same stupid injuries as line units, but you'll be with a lot of people who think a four day field problem in a tent is hard. Aviation is chill depending on where you go, flight quad will keep you busy, hhc in a van unit people never see
>>
>>34843439
I plan to tell my drill instructor that I saw marines training at some summer camp when I was at an intensity wrestling camp and that they looked like pussies.
>>
>>34835398
You do more education you'll start higher rank. Ada is far back, but given what's going on expect to end up in the pacific.
>>
>>34837322
Airborne will go from training to benning (providing they weren't 11) for jump. 11/10 will end up at Bragg/Italy/Alaska after passi jump. Few others will end up in ordinary units, and not get any extra money since that only applies to those on jump status.
>>
>>34843360
That isnt what were talking about. We were talking about junior enlisted.
>>34843366
>>34843378
Ya thats aircrew. Its a good job.
>>
Can anyone tell em about Air Assult in the Army? Can anyone ask to take the course or is for Infantry only?
>>
>>34839153
The ones I had were def not. I also didn't let there never be a witness with me. Fuck that my career was more important than a false rape charge. My subordinates were allowed to use my rank as my first name.
>>
>>34839603
Ya because being in a job that has fast promotion potential because everyone gets broken or jaded and gets out opening a higher call for numbers at ranks above yours is stupid. Fucking cutting scores for active 11s on the army side is low as shit, compared to a near maxed mechanic score that has a shit ton of e4s learning a trade after their 8 years are done because they were rcp 'd with a slow promotion rate
>>
If you have a condition that was written off as misdiagnosed, and MEPS is supplied with documentation that it was a misdiagnosis, how is it generally treated?
>>
>>34842406
Prepare to get cross trained as a generator mechanic. And then do absolutely nothing you trained for
>>
Anybody here a linguist? I was thinking going Chair Force linguist so I can go DLI and do interpretation.
>>
>>34843113
In tradoc you'll just do remedial pt. Might have a structured diet. Expect to do a lot of pt at times for no reason other than being "a disgusting fat body". Outside tradoc, you fail weight, they tape your neck and stomach. Throw your numbers on a form, calculate (falsely) out your bf percentage, and if you're under a certain amount, nothi happens. If over, you end up on more remedial, and get taped every month. Focus on doing shrugs and neck building exercises. I'm always "overweight" to the army, but have a 17inch neck and 36inch waist, so their test always says I'm at like 18% bf. you have nothing to worry about. 550cord.com has a quick calc thing to show you where you sit
>>
>>34843461
Because Jody is a jigalo and your non existent girlfriend is a whore
>>
File: Angry clucking.png (348KB, 632x349px) Image search: [Google]
Angry clucking.png
348KB, 632x349px
Where did the meme of Sailors being gay come from?

Is it because the men used to spend a lot of time at sea together?
>>
>>34843703
It's not a meme, it's truth
>>
>>34843715
Every Sailor I've ever known has been a happily married heterosexual.
>>
>>34843548
Just ask for fort Campbell. They'll send you repeatedly till you get quald.

Other than that:
Must meet 600-9
Must have 1 year remaining on contract after course completion
Must complete 12 mile ruck within 90 days of start date, and o course within 60

That's it
>>
>>34843721
They hide it well
>>
>>34843461
Because Jody's 6'4'
And Jody's been whooped before

And while you're gonna hump a back,
Jody's got your Cadillac.
>>
Wtf is an upper body pullup and why do I need to do 7
>>
>>34843771
Its a pull up

So you can pull yourself up.
>>
>>34843771
A pull-up using only your lats and delts (no kicking/kipping)
>>
>>34843762
Lol

>>34843771
Can assume your referencing airborne related stuff, and it's so you have the strength required to control your chute and the descent.
>>
>>34843609
kek so what will I actually do once I get to my Duty Station?
>>
What is the ideal branch for someone who is both smart and physically fit?
>>
>>34843468
Ok, so I'm an absolute moron and only knew about line units, aid stations, and hospital assignments. What are the other ones you are talking about?
>>
>>34843868
Coast Guard, Navy, Air force
>>
>>34843747
So can I ask for it like a week after I get my first Duty station? My first contract is only 3 1/2 years
>>
>>34843863
Act as a generator mechanic. Be assigned to a maint platoon or company. If you've got relatively good line scores and common sense, they might scoop you up to be orderly room. Don't expect to do to much Qmaster/chemical repair. Your unit will forget you aren't a gen mechanic 9/10 times
>>
>>34843927
So should I just go watch a bunch of generator mechanic videos?

Also how do I get stationed overseas? I don't want to be based in America as weird as that sounds, I wanna see other places before my contract is up
>>
>>34843883
Army system called ask: assignment satisfaction key. Put it as first choice. It's in your ako. If you're still in training you mig still be able to get it. If already on orders, hope you get a good macom with a school house here (benning, Campbell, Hawaii, drum). If no luck on either, prove yourself to your unit and as your tl to talk to your sl about getting a seat. Mig take some time. Do well on pt and don't fuck up in general and you'll rise up in your unit. Most will steer you away from it, but volunteer for boards. You do good at those your unit will throw school seats at you
>>
>>34843041
>Fort De Nugent

I SAY WANGO! I SAY TANGO!!
>>
>>34843938
They'll teach you at the unit. They'll put you into that section so all you have to do is listen watch and learn. Also, for assignments, see
>>34843946

Source: was assigned to a gen squad without being one, and overseas many years
>>
>>34843964
>>34843946
So I go to reception next week, should I ask for Air Assault is that what you're telling me? I don't have an ako account yet so I guess I'll get one in reception? Sorry my ignorance must outstand you both but Air Assault looks fucking awesome and I feel bad that I'm a POG, I just wanna earn my seat at the table if ya feel me
>>
>>34843875
Bsb is a giant support unit. One hhc with staff, one trans company, one maint company, and a med company. Also, about 4-5 smaller versions in their own companies assigned to other units. All 68s would go to the Charlie comp, where you'll be medics, X-ray guys, some pharmacy occasionally etc. aviation units have a flight medic company for medevac and a small section in the hhc to take care of the rest of the battalion (2maint companies, hhc, couple flight companies)
>>
>>34843762
I don't have a cadillac either
>>
>>34843985
Don't apologize, that's the point of these threads, knowledge and shit. You can try to get them to put Campbell into your contract but that'll make your recruiter do more work than they want to do. Depending on what you're enlisting as, you may or may not have a lot of time at your follow on training after basic to try and get things worked out. Shorter training cycle usually means you'll already know where you're going within the first couple weeks. Longer training (medic or electronics) gives you more time to try and work it out
>>
>>34844031
My AIT is 12 weeks, but I'll float the question to my recruiter when I see him monday

I'm>>34842406
>>
>>34843439
>>34843473
PROTIP FOR THE REST OF YOU'RE CAREER'S

no one gives a shit about your stories from basic. the only people who think recruit stories are fun or interesting are other recruits*

*barring stories where recruit-ness and recruit things are not the focus, like that finnish dude who burnt his tent down while high on kerosene fumes
>>
>>34844055
b..but sarge...
>>
>>34844044
If you ship in a week might be to much. Check to see if he's done any work to get your ako active before you go. You prob won't be able to do shit till you get your cac, and will prob have to wait till you get to ait. Once at ait, log into your ako and find the ASK section. Ask one of your sgts to help you out. Request Campbell for aaslt. Generally you'll get it, because outside of that, not many people want those stations, because they're usually lifecycle. One of my wife's friends went 3 times before she was a success so they will send you till you make it
>>
How gay is the Navy? Seriously, after listening to that disco song, I'm reassessing if I should enlist or not.
>>
File: 1486505230076.jpg (77KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
1486505230076.jpg
77KB, 500x305px
>>34844055
This. Consider boot camp to be a completely different, parallel dimension and never bring it up again.
>>
>>34844086
Alright, so once I get Air Assault, what happens? Will they move my Duty Station or will I get moved to a different unit?
>>
>>34844098
>Basing your decision on an 80's meme song.
>>
>>34844113
>Basing your decision on 00's and 10's meme video games
Literally half the Marines at least
>>
File: Goddamn_computer_virus.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Goddamn_computer_virus.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
If you are currently prescribed any medication will MEPS be able to find out?
>>
>>34844108
If you're at Campbell, you've shown enough to be like everyone else. At Bragg, you're doodoo. Airborne guys will still think less of you. Non 2b people will either be a)trying to follow your steps, or b)also not care. Not many units do repel operations in general so really the only thing it helps for is path finder, but not really since you actually don't need it for pathfinder. And moving duty stations for a 3.5 year contract won't happen. You'll stay at that one place for the entirety of your contract until you reenlist. Chances are you'll be in the same company the whole time too
>>
>>34844149
If you tell them. As long as you aren't walking around with them in your pockets while there, they won't really be able to tell without you telling them
>>
>>34844149

Unless it shows up on a drug screen, probably not.
>>
>>34844154
So essentially nothing will change in my career kek

With how short my contract is will I be deployed to a conflict zone? I don't care either way if I get deployed or not, just curious?
>>
>>34844098
>basing your decision on popular culture

To be fair, I joined the Marines partially due to how much the public sucks their dicks, and people in these threads grossly exaggerate how bad it is, but you should really need making decisions based upon what's best for you. There's always going to be shit talking regardless of what branch you're in.

>>34844149
Only if you tell them (don't) or if you pop on your UA.
>>
>>34844072
seriously no one gives a goddamn shit. even your instructors will probably be sick of LARPing with you by the end of it.

>>34844098
idk about the US but here in Canada the navy is actually the least gay branch at just about as gay as the Canadian population is, followed by the Army which is slightly higher than national average, followed by the Air Force which is like 20+% gays

theres tons of chicks in the navies of the world, and a good range of butchy angery lesbians who are good at their jobs right down to total utter thots

also foreign ports and fancy uniforms mean it's easy to pick up skanks throughout the west and friendly middle east (I hear Dubai is basically the best port you can hit)

see also >>34844113
>Basing your decision on an 80's meme song.
>>
>>34844174
Depends on if there's an active zone, and where what unit you end up in is on their arforgen cycle. If they just got back, not likely at all. Ramping up to go somewhere? More than likely. Chances are low right now if you get some out of the way unit
>>
>>34844179
Don't lie. You joined based solely off the commercials with the dude with the sword and dragons and shit
>>
>>34844226
Okay, it's funny how supportive my family is about me joining but the mention of being deployed to a conflict zone makes them hate me and think of how stupid I am for even considering this line of work

>I love my parents but I've called them on their bullshit support when that comes up
>>
>>34844230
I joined for a couple of reasons. Ironically, the commercials didn't win me over so much as the dress blues. Our Alphas are fucking panty droppers.
>>
>>34844240
My parents tried that sob shit when I joined 10 years ago. Fuck them. If you're an adult it doesn't matter. And deployed to a combat zone and in combat and occasionally mortared are all completely different things. I was deployed in a combat zone to a remote air base that got seized without a shot fired. Saw nothing for an entire year. Still got paid like I did
>>
>>34844250
Beats the pickle suit I got when I first joined or the bus driver uniform we have now
>>
>>34844272
While I do want their support because I love them and they motivate me, in the end if I decide to make this a career I feel like I will literally have to say "Fuck you" to my mom because she gets so fucking anal about me even mention going off to fucking basic, she is 10000% against reenlistment, she wants me to do my term then just go to school, but if I like where I am at in 3 years I'm staying in regardless of anyone in my families feelings
>>
>>34844174
If it interests you, go for it. It's worth promotion points. As a 91 you'll need a lot. An extra 20 points helps a lot
>>
>>34844240

If you know what you want, the military is a great stepping stone. Now more than ever since the GI Bill is getting upgraded. Deployments suck, you should be prepared for them, because odds are you're going to get at least one. Especially if you're in the Army or the Marines. But your odds of being sent out to bumfuck nowhere like the 03 who posted earlier in this thread are extremely rare.

My father was a Navy vet and a piece of shit who skated by his entire service, was out in 3 years, and never said a damned word about his service until I decided to enlist. "You're making a huge mistake, you're going to hate your life" and all that kind of shit. Go figure that he was the proudest son of a bitch at graduation.
>>
>>34844322
As a 91 what tabs are available to me? Also what else can I do to get points or even just letting people know I am here to work and earn my keep without looking like a kissass
>>
>>34844320
After 1 year you're eligible for tuition assistance. Gives you 4500 a year or 16 credits. All you gotta do is have your commander sign it. Most posts have colleges that offer good work around for schedules or you can do online courses. Don't think you can't do them both at the same time. Most colleges will give you credit for mil training as well (basic, ait, airborne or air assault, etc). This also gets you promo points
>>
>>34844333
Currently I'll be a pog for my first enlistment but if I decide that the military is for me how can I transfer to a more "grunt" role? I really like the idea of what infantry has to offer, but know just about dick
>>
>>34844350
I was thinking of taking a personal finance class once I am able, I just cant decide what I want to use for my GI Bill once I have it
>>
>>34844342
Only tabs are those available to everyone: sf, ranger, sapper, presidents hundred. All will be extremely difficult to earn as a 91. You gotta be shit hot at everything. Ranger you might be able to get out of ait, as their recruiters go to aits and try to recruit directly to ranger units. You'll get the scroll (unit patch) until the unit thinks you're good enough to go to the school (the tab). Snapper won't happen outside of engineer units and they are stingy as fuck if you aren't a 12
>>
>>34844250
No real human being that isn't either a thot or in it for the GI benefits thinks marines look good

literally the only people who like the marines are other marines or their dependapottami
>>
>>34844352
You'll have to re-up for another 4 actives. Just make sure that you get your rank retention in writing.

>>34844378
I can only tell you from my anecdotal experience, but I've got close friends in every branch sans Coast Guard. They ALL agree that Marines do one thing better than anyone else, and it is their image. The Corps' uniforms are second to none.
>>
>>34844352
That's what I did. Had to fight like a mofo to get it. Got all the scores but it didn't happen till I went to the guard. You'll have to spend usually about 18 months as your mos, by that time it'll probably be around time to reenlist. Use the reenlist Kent as a way to change your job. Don't accept it when they say you can't if you meet all requirements. With the new opat, you might have to retest to ensure eligibility
>>
>>34843721
On land, at least.
>>
>>34844367
No need to rush. Montgomery gi bill you have ten years to use your amount stated in your contract. Post 9/11 you get 36 months of college, split between your semesters. Not sure about the new one they're crafting
>>
>>34844392
So essentially if I cant get it off the get-go I'd have to go back to MEPS to re-qualify for an infantry based role?

>>34844385
Do people lose rank for reupping? that's really a thing?
>>
>>34844385
Not necessary 4. You have to fill the 8 year term. If you signed for 6 originally it'd only be a two year contract
>>
>>34844419
Meps no. Your unit will have a retention guy to do contracting. Then they'll send you either to the primary school house or a transition course.

Rank loss can happen, but not always. Most times, if you qualify you can might lose a promotable status (easy to get back). It's extremely rare to lose rank, unless you're reclassify as a nco
>>
>>34844437
How does Infantry treat those who go from pog to grunt? Do they treat them like shit for not having the balls to do it in the first place?
>>
>>34844455
Depends. I happened to be more competent than some of my fellow team leaders so they saw it as a blessing. If you suck at the job you'll probably get a spec or pfc in charge of you. If you do change, start reading now. Fm 3-21.10 is your bible to study, along with stp 7-11b1-sm-tg. Know how to reference those, know basics out of those, and know how to teach them. Not only will that help you moving over, it'll help before when you have people who don't know what they're doing trying to lead training
>>
>>34844455
anyone who unironically uses the term "pog" is a faggot, including you

so youll probably continue being an insecure and ungrateful faggot and get bullied just for your personality type and not specifically due to your previous job (though that info may be used in the course of your being bullied)
>>
>>34844504
I embrasced it. My unit knew I came from a non inf job. You embrace the jokes and the life they stop fucking with you
>>
File: Now this is shitposting.jpg (32KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
Now this is shitposting.jpg
32KB, 600x395px
>>34844504
I'll be sure to kill myself then
>>
>>34844504
Pog detected, rofl.
>>
>>34844513
oh great. you can't spell either. there's probably a reason you got kicked out of the office into infantry. enjoy your crayons, idiot
>>
Will I be able to gain any sort of clearances holding a russian citizenship (as well as an american one)? If I join the US military, what are my options?
>>
>>34844539
Ya you caught me. The kick probably had more to do with my criminal charge that resulted in my clearance suspension. And the crayons are great when using the mre heater. Try it out
>>
>>34844564
I'm fairly certain you need to renounce the Russian one. And disclose what your family members do for the motherland
>>
I'm an apache pilot, Dont enlist.
>>
>>34844583
Fuck youuu I dont even have a choice.
>>
>>34844581
no family members any more ;_;
Probably even more suspicious
>>
>>34844564
i thought the us didnt even allow dual citizenship
>>
>>34844614
Just a bit. Prepare for a lot of questions
>>
>>34844620
They don't. He'll need to renounce one
>>
>scoliosis
i know the cutoff is like 30 degrees but idk what mine is. im very active and it doesnt affect me physically at all. no pain ever and you really cant tell unless i tell you. on the off chance it is over 30 is there any argument to wave it if it doesnt affect me? or am i done the second it gets past 30
>>
Question about shaving in boot camp:

I'm very pale and have very sensitive skin. To compound this, I've also got very dark facial hair, which makes it stand out even more. What razor is going to give me a great shave without cutting or irritating my skin?

Also, how much time do DIs give you to shave?
>>
>>34844649
Might be waiverable but don't work at meps so I couldn't tell you

>>34844663
You'll get about 20 seconds. Hope to go to medical and get a no shave profile. Rare for white people but it does exist
>>
>>34844685
appreciate a response either way, thank you
>>
>>34844663
>What razor is going to give me a great shave without cutting or irritating my skin?
the trick to good shaving is to use hot water and lots of soap/foam/whatever other face lubricant. most disposable razors are basically the same and their quality lies in how long they stay sharp and not how sharp they are right out of the box

make sure your face is nice and wet before applying foam/gel/soap as well

also some people say that shaving with conditioner is the way to go because it makes the hair soft as it grows back. i havent noticed a difference but I find it does make the razor glide more easily and is generally a better lubricant than foam or gel

>Also, how much time do DIs give you to shave?
enough. just wake up earlier ffs
>>
>>34844685
Shit. Do you get to pick a razor ahead of time or do you get one when you go to the PX?

I get a really close shave with a single bladed safety razor, but I also spend about 20 minutes shaving so there's no way in hell that will fly.
>>
>>34844649
Don't tell em, if it's bad enough and they ask you, tell them it doesn't bother you, if they somehow get into your records say again that it doesn't bother you and you forgot to mention it. If you only answer that you forgot to mention because it doesn't bother you, they can't do anything to you other than boot ya.

I don't know why I care enough to write this as I don't support anyone joining the military after what I went through.
>>
>>34844724
>enough. just wake up earlier ffs
I won't get roasted if I go to the head and shave before the wake up call?
>>
>>34844741
Depends. Marines? Possible. Army? Depends on your training base
>>
>>34844768
All I know is that DIs, especially during first phase, are 100% adamant about you doing what they say and only when they say it. I figure it wouldn't go over too well if a recruit snuck off to the head at 0330 to shave, but if that saves me from having to dry shave on the line then I have no problem with it.
>>
Could someone give me advice on the Army OCS essay?

Is the review board just looking for a bunch of jingoistic schlock in the essay (i.e. muh civic duty and muh freedoms) or am I better off being more honest about my reasons for wanting to be an officer?
>>
>>34844583
Should I go warrant officer for helicopter pilot?
>>
>>34844813
Not a warrant but yes. More pay and less work than the enlisted side. Get to fly around while at work. No one expects warrants to do much. Enough rank to be considered as knowledgeable, won't end up as a platoon leader to wrangle all the other warrants that won't show up for work
>>
should i join the air force and go security force?
how about guarding nuclear missile sites? seems nice and boring, just how i like it
>>
Who's ready for the BRS?
>>
>>34844725
>Shit. Do you get to pick a razor ahead of time or do you get one when you go to the PX?
you pack your own you fucking weirdo

>>34844741
you're not on a boat. it's not the heads
and while it is possible you get roasted, which roasting is better to get: the roasting for taking the initiative to get up early to have a proper shave, or the roasting for not shaving because you couldnt get it in in the morning bathroom rush?

>>34844788
what you could do is shave at night. if you dont grow facial hair super fast, you can probably get away with doing it during your bedtime routine

same for showering, if you arent a sweaty sleeper, you can occasionally avoid the morning rush by showering in the evening.

>>34844810
look at it more like a cover letter for a job or college course. show off your skills and the skills you want to make money off of in life. not in those terms, but they probably want to hear more about what you can offer them as a new officer, e.g. if you're signing up as a chaplain, they care more about your social work and pastorial experience. if youre joining as some kind of engineer, they want to know how much you love designing airstrips and how strong your opinions are on drainage solutions.

>>34844842
>>34844813
wtf isnt warrant officer a rank, not a job/station
>>
>>34844842
Is there any negatives to joining right now I know is not recommend to join infantry in peacetime does any of that apply to aviation? Would you recommend against picking apache if joining SOAR is a future goal?
>>
>>34844898
Yes and no about the warrant. It is a rank (warrant officer/chief warrant officer), split between walking warrants (chiefs) and pilots (mr). They bridge the gap between enlisted and commissioned and replaced the spec rank system. if you're ground, you'll usually only have one or two per bn. If your aviation, you'll be overflowing with them when they actually show up, cuz chief took a 5 day vacation in the middle of the week and no one cares
>>
>>34844931
Aviation is always needing people. Budgeting is the issue. You may not get many flight hours due to how much fuel the unit has or flight hours before the birds get phased. If your goal is to once again start over at the bottom for a commercial flight company go for it. If you think you can be someone's private pilot def go for it
>>
>>34844898
>look at it more like a cover letter
Thanks man, this makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>34844736
will they test to get the specific degree at MEPS or can i just be like "yeah i hardly know i have it"
>>
>>34844955
I'll be happy to fly anything but I'm honestly more interested on attack roles I know SOAR has the ah6 and the ah60 but I'm sure there's less openings for those airframes compared to transport.
>>
>>34844844
Bump for this
>>
Anyone know GarandThumb's AFSC/MOS?
>>
>>34842831
why MEPS 3 times anon? storytime?

>>34844736
>I don't support anyone joining the military after what I went through.
???

My question to /meg/ if I can get my debt in good standing (cc debt paid off and student loans being paid) but there is still history of it being in 90day+ bad standing am i fucked for TS?
>>
File: IMG-20130115-00628.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20130115-00628.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
Any ANG avionic guys here, what's it like doing your job in the US vs overseas

Pic unrelated a cool patch I can't find for sale
>>
>>34843868
USMC
>>
>>34832950
NEW
>>34845984
>>34845984
>>34845984
>>
>>34845950

Not him, but I've come to this conclusion.
>>
>>34843721
it's not gay if it's underway
>>
File: IMG_0613.jpg (41KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0613.jpg
41KB, 400x400px
I'm confused, are we gonna be fighting Norkies, Nazis, or Commies?
>>
>>34846384
America is on the verge of a civil war. An actual war with the Norks, and already essentially in a trade war with China and Russia.
>>
>>34844736
Different anon but on topic of scoliosis, mine causes a bit of numb/tingle sensation below my right scapula, mostly when sitting for long periods of time. Any chance that could develop into something worse in military contexts? Like am I gonna suddenly be paralyzed on a hump? Srs, I haven't asked medical professionals because I didn't want a negative symptom documented anywhere.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.