[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gg/ gunsmithing general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 39

previous thread >>34727395

everything from building firearms to small jobs

pastebin here. Anyone who wants to add anything let me know (I now have edit access to the pastebin, thanks anon): https://pastebin.com/xCTc1NwM

Lets see your projects!
>>
Gunsmithing threads are only fun when they're rare, attention whore
Go spend more of daddies money
>>
What's the easiest 80% AR receiver to cut out? All I have is a Dremel and a hand drill
>>
File: Picture_clipping_1024x1024.jpg (45KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_clipping_1024x1024.jpg
45KB, 1024x768px
>>3480883
Easy jig. Just buy a router and it'll cut perfect cuts in like 30 minutes
https://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig
>>
Meant to reply to >>34808836 with my post here >>34808933
>>
>checked a bag with 40 lb of gun parts
>disappears
>they eventually "find" it
>it was thoroughly rummaged through by mr tsa

everything's still in it so I guess it ended well
>>
>>34808962
Same kinda shit happened to me with a package. It was broken into, "lost" for a week, and then arrived re taped up.

It was bad, but everything was still in it.
>>34808933
They aren't as fast as they claim but they do make the best looking cuta out of the other 80 percent options out there that doesn't use a mill
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/11/foghorn/gear-review-80-arms-80-billet-lower-kit-easy-jig-and-easy-jig-tool-kit/
>>
>>34809204
The gen 2 jigs are apperently much faster
>>
>>34808836
Honestly the easiest with just a hand drill and Dremel are poly lowers.
>>
>>34808836
>>34808933
>>34809317
considering the poly receivers with disposable jigs are $80 wouldn't it just be more worth it to get a $50 shipped receiver and pay the damn $20 transfer?

http://www.polymer80.com/ar-15-lower
>>
>>34808746
Flandre is born and bred from immigrant blood. He's thirsty for success and knows no other way than honor and hard work.
>>
File: IMG1834335953.jpg (64KB, 600x693px) Image search: [Google]
IMG1834335953.jpg
64KB, 600x693px
>>34808746
(you)
>>
If you put bevels on the ejection port of a tokarev it allows the spent cases to fall out easier
>>
Any recce for calipers in the 30ish dollar range?
>>
>>34813344
go to harbor freight and buy some cheap digi ones for that price range.
>>
>>34811484
People sometimes like to do things the hard way for fun. Also spooky guns.
>>
>>34813370
What about used ones?
>>
>>34813621
google used micrometers and you'll see that most of the are banged to shit.

I was lucky as hell when I got a set of pristine mitutoyo micrometers off ebay for $150

for accurate and reliable tools you're going to have to pay $100 and up.

What do you intend to use this caliper for?
>>
File: IMG_3134.jpg (194KB, 1611x907px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3134.jpg
194KB, 1611x907px
>>34813665
Reloading and frame measurements for Clinton Westwood type builds in the future using old Locrin and Hi Point barrels.
>>
>>34813723
cry once buy once
https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-Advanced-Absolute-Digital-Caliper/dp/B00IG46NL2/ref=dp_ob_title_def

Oh, buy from amazon or a reputable seller and not some fucking no name retard that's probably peddling knock offs
>>
>>34813763
Fug, I thought getting into gunskithing would be cheaper than shooting...

So used calipers unless pristine are garbage? How do you know when to replace yours, like every three years or something?
>>
>>34813800
>So used calipers unless pristine are garbage? How do you know when to replace yours, like every three years or something?

pretty much

I have standards which I use every time I use them or my instruments for the day that tell me if they're reading exactly zero. If they aren't or I can't get them to work I throw them out. I still have the same set of calipers from when I started doing this about 8-10 years ago

"buy good tools and they'll last forever" is not wrong in metrology.
>>
File: 1502128930215m.jpg (80KB, 826x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502128930215m.jpg
80KB, 826x1024px
>>34813871
Thanks for the advice, so is there like a hierarchy of calipers compared to digital, dial and slide type? Seems to be a lot of decent condition slide type micrometers but they are probably being offloaded for a reason.

Not trying to second guess you, just really ignorant and poor...
>>
>>34813949
digi is higher recommended because it's just easier and the tech has gotten much better in recent years.

just buy a harbor freight one if you're so poor. more than likely if you need anything better than that you should have no qualms in spending the money on it and other, more accurate tools.
>>
>>34814038
I'd rather not spend multiple drives back and forth from harbor freight so Mitutoyo it is.

So should I buy a gauge block to make sure it's calibrated or just trust it?
>>
>>34814150
nah, should be good. just remember what I said. buy from reputable sources or else you might get a knock off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDype-j3hk
>>
>>34814038
>>34814150
>>34813949
Actual metrologist fag here.

The type of caliper doesn't really matter in terms of accuracy, it's much more quality than type (vernier scale, dial, digital).

Bottom of the barrel avoid if at all possible-tier
>plastic
>no-name chinese import discounted

Cheap but mostly functional (usually)-tier
>cheap brand name calipers like from whatever hardware store, harbor freight often lands here or in previous category

Whatever, it works but don't expect miracles-tier
(these are the lowest tier that's accepted in the usual machine shop. They're fine for light use)
>asimeto
>Insize
>Igaging
>Accusize
>Fowler
>Shars

Professional-tier
>Starrett
>Mitutoyo
>Brown & Sharpe
>Etalon
>Tesa
>Interapid

Honestly for calipers, unless you use it a LOT every day, stick to the middle two categories (asimeto, fowler, etc). Try to get some deals on a better tool if you can, but having a cheap one to scribe with is not a bad thing. I would suggest a middle of the road vernier scale caliper, as it will work without batteries obviously and there's nothing to fuck up unlike a garbo digital or a cheap dial caliper. Downside is that they're "harder to read", but if you're poor, then you have more time to learn how to use it.

in b4 less accurate/more accurate

Not really. Even the highest quality digital calipers are basically as accurate as an average whatever. A digital might read to 0.0005", but if you trust a fucking caliper to anything past +/-0.002", you're going to get bitten hard sooner or later. They are NOT super high accuracy devices. Anything requiring more than that is micrometer job regardless of how hard you can pound your fists saying "but my X caliper is always right on". Trust me, a caliper of any kind and any brand is not to be trusted if +/-0.001" or better is critical.
>>
>>34814230
sup, what kind of dial indicator do you think I should pick up?

I was thinking about a starrett or a mitutoyo, but it would mostly be used for checking tool run out, and the work in a lathe.

I have a bestest test indicator w/ a noga base for the real precise stuff.

>>34814150
listen to this guy he knows what's up
>>
File: IMG_0248.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0248.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hey goys. I don't like to come here to have you hold my hand through how to do shit. I don't like being a tittybaby that has to ask people "omg what should I do?! I'm an incompetent retard that can't make any decisions by myself!" But I've reached my wits end.

I have this ak74 barrel, and attached to it is a rear sight block. The block is pressed on crooked and I need to remove it but I can't beat it off with a hammer, and I can't properly set it up on a press because I can't figure out a way to rig it so that the force is being distributed straight up and down instead of hinging on the block. I need to support both sides of it if I'm going to press it off, but I can't because one side is just the thin metal area that wraps around the barrel. How would you niggers get out of this calamity?
>>
>>34814309
Plunger type long-travel (0.001" scale dial, 1" of travel) is whatever. They're like the calipers of the indicator world. Caliper post above is basically relevant, so if you use it a shitton all day erry day it's worth splurging on a Starrett. I have a few cheap ones for any business where they might get dirty or banged up and a good one for general use. Anything from the big three really, but the average name brand will do just fine.

Test dial indicator is a bit more personal. These typically have sub0.001" resolution, and very little travel; generally under 0.050" of total travel. Bestest is good obviously, my personal go-to is the Mitutoyo 513-512, it's a 0.0005" pocket test dial indicator with a very long probe and a long, slim body. The scale lines for each 0.0005" increment are very far apart with a fine indicator needle, so the accuracy is excellent even if it isn't a millionth indicator and the design means this particular test dial indicator can indicate places where no other indicator could possibly reach. It's a clutch type so that might not be your particular bag of doritos but I like it that way, it's a bit less confusing when dialing a hole and flipping forward and backward with a mirror and shit.

For daily test dial use not requiring millionths, I honestly don't look any further.
>>
>>34814406
Clamp barrel in aluminum, brass, or lead vise jaws. With a big adjustable wrench, start twisting the block while pushing it off. As you rotate the block, your downward force will slowly move the block until it travels off the press fit area.

Do it slowly and squirt oil liberally on it, if you try to go too fast you can friction-weld it in place.
>>
File: 51tivJJXGoL._SX355_.jpg (12KB, 355x343px) Image search: [Google]
51tivJJXGoL._SX355_.jpg
12KB, 355x343px
>>34814406
...what?

If you want to pull it off to later reinstall a modified tie rod puller might be what you are looking for, just have a section of brass rod so you don't mess up your crown
>>
Bump b4 bed
>>
Anyone have the /k/ guide to home anodizing?
>>
>>34809317
I swear you did a video on EP armory poly lower, what was your impression of them?
>>
>>34818521
Polymer 80 is better tbqh. All polymer lowers are fucking garbage but polymer80 reinforces the area where the buffer tube screw in which is the weakest part of a polyshit lower. Just buy an Anderson though. Literally the only reason to buy an 80% is if you are a fucking retarded nigger that buys into much ghost gun hype.
>>
Bumpus
>>
File: IMG_0976.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0976.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Getting close, just a few questions

Firstly, the fuck do you do when collets get stick in a mill? One of my coworkers said to loosed the drawbar a bit and smack the top with a deadblow, which worked once but the next time it got stuck it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere
Second, for coming back through the corners I didn't have any carbide 1/8th mills to use, and 1/8th HSS seem to snap the exact moment they contact the steel of the trunnion/the brazing between the receiver remnants and trunnion. That being said, I do have a beefy Dremel 4000 something at home, think that and the stubby carbide bits I have for it will work decently for the last of this?
>>
>>34821201
1. Smack the fucking top of the drawbar harder.

2. WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY
>>
>>34821201
Use a lead, brass, or copper mallet. Not a deadblow/plastic hammer.

The sharp strike with a relatively hard substance will be much better at freeing a stuck taper fit. You can use a steel hammer, but it'll eventually peen over the drawbar.

>small endmill snapping in corners
Try plunge milling with a small radial step-over. I've successfully gotten corners in parts with a 3/32" diameter carbide that was 12D, and a 1/8th that was 16D. If you're wondering what that means, it's a simple way of showing how long the endmill is relative to its diameter, so 10D would be ten times as long as it is wide. Basically, you "drill" slowly with your endmill, but you only cut a little bit at a time, like taking slivers of hard butter with a knife instead of trying to stab the middle of the butter or trying to cut the butter in half all at once.
>>
>>34821693
>>34822375
Thanks, metal hammer and harder hits were the ticket

On the Dremel question, I will clarify that it was less of a "Will it work?" and more "Is this a good idea?"
Regardless, will have to wait until tomorrow
>>
>>34822479
Normally, hitting "harder" isn't really the ticket. Hitting faster/sharper often ends up being the way to get a taper unstuck.

I have a long handled brass mallet in my toolbox for that sort of thing, you give it a good sharp snap and it unsticks 99.99% of everything. Sometimes there's shmoo or the taper is just really stuck (for example, if there was for some reason a large temperature difference between the male taper and female taper) and it requires a bigger hammer and more force at that point, but usually that's fairly rare (I would hope).
>>
I've lost interest in shooting now that I've started building. Is this normal?
>>
File: IMG_0245.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0245.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
Where to buy overlapping reciever parts for re welding ?
>>
>>34825107
what kind?
>>
>>34825814
The venerable Yugoslavian m72, milled reciever edition.
>>
>>34825107
You don't, you weld fat and thick enough to have meat to mill out later.
>>
i own a nickel plated cimarron 1911, its got powder burns toward the front of the slide that wont come off for shit, what do?
>>
>>34827404
pls
>>
>>34827982
If it corroded the nickel you are shit out of luck, try using very fine silver polishing compound on a rag to get it off
>>
>>34828031
not really corroded, just a black mark, it happens everytime i shoot the damn thing, and it also got on the leather of my holster n wknt come out of that either, so like do i do the whole gun in the polish? i got some but it says nothting about nickel and i dont wanna fuck it uo
>>
>>34828618
First, sober up before working in your guns and second use some CLP on a rag to rub at it and clean it after you shoot it

Pics of the mark? Does it feel rough?

Don't over polish it as it works by removing a fine layer if metal.
>>
>>34826246
Gunbroker my dude
>>
File: IMG_0256.png (182KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0256.png
182KB, 400x289px
>>34827394
You who have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, leave before sucy sodomizes and facefucks you for your stupidity
>>
>>34830129
SUCY! GIVE ME THE SUCY! ME WANT SUCY SUCY!
>>
>>34830129
Plz
>>
is it possible to find/build a retro ar for under 1,200? retro as in the sp1
>>
>>34831943
>nodak upper and lower
>cheap 20" pencil barrel
>try to find sp1 parts?
good luck, I built my m16a1 clone from a royal tiger parts kit when they sold them for $550 with the entire upper receiver assembly. the entire clone cost me $700
>>
File: 20170811_161339.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_161339.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Got myself a problem here. Bought myself a IMA Martini-Henry MkIV about a month ago. The rifle under all that grime is beautiful besides for one problem. The cleaning rod was so pitted and rusted that it snapped in half. After 3 weeks of soaking it will not moving still. Any tips? Also will that crack make it unsafe to fire? It only goes about 4 inches up.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170811-170450.jpg (117KB, 1034x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170811-170450.jpg
117KB, 1034x1136px
>>34832382
Try wrapping strong fishing line around it, tying it to a dowel and pulling.
>>
>>34832382
that crack isn't on metal is it? if it is then yes it would make it unsafe. if no then you're good with the only worry that the crack might expand.
>>
>>34832748
>>34832853
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the fishing line idea.
>>
>>34830146
>Worst girl
>>
>>34811972
>tfw parents are dirt poor
>>34814406
buy one of the press tools from Robert Forbus. makes it really easy.
>>34818521
back when I made that video, they were super easy to do, and were the easiest 80% receivers to complete because the middle pocket just had to be weakened and then pulled out. You could do the whole thing with only a dremel.

Then they got ATF raided n sheit, and they no longer make receivers like that anymore

I'd go for the re-enforced ones now over the EP ones
>>
>>34834867
I know. Anon wants to try and tell himself the only way someone could be more successful than himself is that they've been handed wealth. What he doesn't know is our forefathers are hard as steel and only knew to carve out a life by sweating and toiling.
>>
I really want to learn to tig weld,. where do i start?
>>
>>34836097
Honestly I would take classes or get an experienced person to show you. mig you can learn on your own but stick and tig have a steep learning curve at first and it helps infinitely to have a knowledgeable person to walk you through the process and help you develope proper habits in your technique. You can buy a rig to practice with and try to learn yourself but you'll probably develope bad habits and be a shitty welder. The best way would be to go to trade school
>>
So I have successfully mounted a picatinny rail to an Italian Carcano rear sight. With only minimum cutting and grinding. Proud of myself.

>yes, rifle was fucked before I got ahold of it, posted some pictures a few /gg/'s ago

I took one of those shitty AIM Mosin mounts that fit into the rear sight, cut down the Carcano sight flush, grinded on the AIM mount for a good fit, and mounted it using the provided screw and nut just like it was going into a mosin. Near perfect fit. This is a cheap scout rifle type project so nothing of real value lost. Got an old red dot that's getting mounted to it, or maybe an EOTech Clone I have laying around. Now just have to get some parts for the bolt and the gun will be done.
>>
I just don't have the time or money to have someone teach me honestly
>>
>>34836333
Money is only a problem when you haven't got the time.
My friend, what do you need taught?
>>
>>34836357
well, money isn't really the issue it's mostly time.
I've only done mig welding but want to learn tig. friend is wiling to dump a linlcon tig on me, but I have no idea how to do it. I work a regular 8-5 job, so time is kinda lost on me.
>>
>>34836405
If you have time to practice you should have time to practice properly, I.e. Your tig welding friend showing you the ropes. If you have never tig'd before it really isn't something you can just pick up and start learning yourself. You'll waste your time if you jut watch some YouTube videos and try to learn with no help.
>>
>>34836097
start with stick welding.
>>
>>34836564
Don't say things if you have no idea what the fuck your talking about t b h
>>
>>34836405
>8-5
>I just don't have any time
The absolute state of millennial time management.
>>
>>34836584
no u
>>
File: 1268601696041.jpg (45KB, 569x412px) Image search: [Google]
1268601696041.jpg
45KB, 569x412px
>>34836564
>stick
is this some kineah field welding bullshit no well then why bother
>>
>>34836525
Or he could watch videos and learn hands on. It's hard but not magic, especially given he won't be working in field conditions
>>
>>34838825
video sources?
>>
>>34838825
You right but it's the difference of spending many hours and a lot of money on materials to get the idea vs someone walking you through the motions and only taking a hour or so to get it. Once you have the general idea it takes A while of consistent practice to refine your technique
>>
File: CUd2HGp.jpg (77KB, 650x432px) Image search: [Google]
CUd2HGp.jpg
77KB, 650x432px
>>34825107
https://www.apexgunparts.com/parts-kits.html
>>
>>34836564
Welder here.
Normally I'd agree with you but for most gunsmithing as far as I know stick is pretty much the worst possible process.
>>
>>34841358
true, but the best way to get gud at TIG, and to understand why things work the way they do, you start with stick.

I started with MIG and had to unlearn so many bad habits.
>>
>>34841590
As long as you don't work on those poor guns with stick familam
>>
>>34841678
whats the difference between stick and tig?
>>
>>34842334
They're basically opposites, man
>>
>>34813370

>HF

/diy/ memes, in my /k/?
It's more likely than you think!
>>
>>34842334
Why shit up the thread with a question you could so easily google? Don't ask us this isn't a welding thread, use google you stupid fuckin nigger
>>
>>34807774

I don't know anything about putting together/building anything but ARs and Glocks but Apex makes we want to buy random parts kit
>>
>>34844479
do it, it's way funner
>>
>>34845829

I can't wait to have random boxes in my attic that my son finds after I die and he builds a rifle from my parts in 60 years when AKs are only relics of the old world
>>
>>34845884
hopefully by then we'll have many other kinds of parts kits to build
>>
>>34814230
What's your opinion on MahrCal? Seem to be about the same price point as Mitutoyo but it sounds vaugley Germanic so I'm not sure if that's the reason.
>>
>>34813230
got pics or instructions? which side do i bevel?
>>
>>34808836
80% arms easyjig. That said, you're doing this because you want an 80%. Fit and finish will not be as nice, some dimensions won't be in spec, and it will generally be a fucking pain compared to paying 60 bucks at the local big box guns store to buy an anderson lower.
>>
>>34847091
Pro-tier in reputation, they have certainly made quality tools when considering their millionths dial comparators, but I have no experience with them personally.
>>
>>34846783

hopefully but that won't take the hope from me that my child builds something nice
>>
>>34849324
Just build it with your kid, man
>>
>>34854134
^this
I can't wait till my kid is old enough and can build kits with her
>>
>>34854695
Probably won't be many kits left aside from the ones you already have
>>
File: 1501698392074m.jpg (49KB, 736x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501698392074m.jpg
49KB, 736x1024px
>>34854777
Knowing him he has enough kits to arm a large partisan group and even if not he could always help her make baby's first direct blowback pistol/tubegun
>>
>>34854695
I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than having a daughter. Honestly, think about it rationally. You are feeding, clothing, raising and rearing a girl for at least 18 years solely so she can go and get ravaged by another man. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little girl - reading her stories at bedtime, making her go to sports practice, making sure she had a healthy diet, educating her, playing with her. All of it has one simple result: her body is more enjoyable for the men that will eventually fuck her in every hole.

Raised the perfect girl? Great. Who benefits? If you're lucky, a random man who had nothing to do with the way she grew up, who marries her. He gets to fuck her tight pussy every night. He gets the benefits of her kind and sweet personality that came from the way you raised her.

As a man who has a daughter, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least 20 years of your life simply to raise a girl for another man to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it logically
>>
>>34813665
ebay or pawn shops. Dont buy cheap measurement tools because they will fuck you in the ass when they measure a dimension incorrrectly and you end up ruining a workpiece.
Mitotoyo or starret tools. Dont buy anything else because they are inaccurate shit
>>
>>34814406
support the edges of the RSB with a box end wrench you monogloid. What the fuck is wrong with you clamping a ground surface in the jaws of a vice?
>>
>>34855111
to add to that, buy a gauge tube and other reference blocks. Every so often I check my mitotoyo against my 1/4" cylinder. Probably overkill but it puts me at ease
>>
>>34822479
If you aren't aware you should never insert a dirty collect into the spindle. Clean the taper hole and then use some light oil on it.

You also need to spin the HSS slower than the carbide. Its a different animal. try 500rpm or so. You will also need center cutting endmills to effectively plunge cut. Plunge cut SLOWLY or you will constantly break tools
>>
>>34855111
Getting cheap digital calipers is fine because you should never be using calipers for anything other than getting a rough idea anyway. My instructor calls them "guessing sticks". If it's imperative that you get an accurate measurement, then you should be using a micrometer anyways.
>>
>>34847149
upper part and bottom part of port. Just look at it
>>
File: 20160906_163347_Burst01.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_163347_Burst01.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>34855196
>muh instructor
You buy nice calipers because they have repeatable accuracy. Chinkshit does not offer repeatable accuracy
Yes, if you want an accurate dimension use a drop gauge, Micrometer set or other precision gauging tools
>>
>>34855065
this is such an old and stale pasta that you should feel bad even posting it
>>
>>34854777
>>34854815
Oh I'll have to keep a couple dozen kits just to build over the years with her, so she can enjoy it in case imports and/or kits become a thing of the past.
>>
>>34855312
Do you guys have an electronic mic?

https://youtu.be/XMFoLcVZsYY?t=982
>>
File: IMG_0981.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0981.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hell fucking yes
On to the next side
>>
>>34836564
>start with stick welding.
MIG is ten times easier and more versatile. TIG is good, but the prep is time consuming.

I have an old, copper winding tombstone lincoln 40 amp welder. I use 1/8 rods and it makes no hum at all. No hassle to start the rod, I just lower it and it starts burning. You cannot hear it run.
The current ones have alum windings and are a bear to get the rod to start.
>>
>>34858700
What is this?
>>
>>34855065
^ Folks, observe the porno hound, perma virgin. In real life. He has no idea of what a loser he is. Textbook autism.
>>
>>34813621
Click here: Digital Microneters from Mitutoyo and Fowler - electronic and manual models.
>>
>>34813621
google victor machine in brooklyn, ny
>>
>>34858700
I have the exact same c clamp. same finish too.
>>
>>34858700
how much did the kit cost you and where did you find the receiver blank?
>>
>>34858768
Stgw 57

>>34858940
$700 from APEX for the kit, $800 for the receiver blank and barrel from a guy named artty62
>>
>>34859008
>artty62
fuck, seems like he is impossible to get in touch with.
>>
>>34859552
You're not wrong
Just keep calling until he awakens from hibernation or whatever he does
>>
>>34860777
ah, well. I really need to get my galil built more than I need to start a new build.

but I really want a sig 510, so maybe when I leave college...
>>
>>34807774
Would cheating a glock be a bad idea? Like would it significantly weaken the frame? Stipping is pig dusgusting
>>
>>34858735
It is more versatile, except for the part where this is a gunsmithing thread, where tig is the ONLY acceptable answer, and mig builds bad habits when you start tig.

I know because I've lived it. I started production style mig, and now when I use tig (the only welding we consistantly use at my current employer,) I am behind the 8 ball because of learning the easy mode welding first.
>>
File: 20170801_143606.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170801_143606.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>34841678
just so you know,
>>34842334
isn't me.
>>34836564
>>34841590
>>34863175
^^^those are me.
>>34855111
>ebay or pawn shops
don't forget auctions. old fuckers often have very nice tools, and their widow sells them for what he told her he paid for it. I have bought 2 Starrett mics and a Mauser vernier caliper at auctions, and never paid more than ten bucks.

I use one of the starrets and the Mauser calipers at work when the feeling strikes to use tools older than I am. I checked both against gauge blocks after a thorough post purchase cleaning/lubrication, and both were within half a thou.

TL;DR go to auctions on Saturdays, hang out with old fuckers, buy pro tier tools cheap.

pic is gauge plates, one before and two after grinding to +_0.0008 inch parallism on the major faces.
>>
>>34863175
I honestly find TIG to be easier than MIG. I'm no expert welder of anything but MIG just seems really sloppy to me. I feel like the spool feeds too fast and there's just spatter everywhere and everything looks like dogshit. TIG seems more delicate and you can sort of take your time with it. Stick is fucking impossible, I don't know how the fuck people do that shit.
>>
>>34863471
I hear ya. be thankful you can into TIG so easily. we have MIG at my shop, and use it from time to time, but in a mold shop TIG is really the most useful type of welding. my boss can lay down layer after layer of weld and when we go to machine it, there are literally no voids. I wish I was that good. my TIG welds look worse than my MIG welds.
>>
>Go to gun smith to get a .41 AE barrel fitted for my Jericho
>Guy keeps telling me how it's a stupid idea and that he doesn't even want to do it
>Says he'll charge me a couple hundred just to shave the chamber of the barrel down
>Walk out
For all the gun stores here in Phoenix, there sure does seem to be a lack of gun smiths
>>
>>34863175
what about all the people on weapons guild and the other forums that MIG??

Seems everyone does it

Even SOTs who build for customers. Check this guys work, he's a SOT who welds up SMGs for customers. (Hillsboro Armory and Mfg.) fagbook /Hillsboro-Armory-and-Mfg-625903934177498

MIG seems to work just fine
>>
>>34864038
jesus that looks like shit
>>
>>34863690
Wasn't there a problem with Jerico frames cracking?
>>
>>34864099
Grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't
>>
>>34864239
if you grind more than you weld you're a grinder not a welder
>>
>>34864211
Not that I know of
>>
>>34864038
That is terrible.
>>
>>34864038
everyone does it =/= right
>>34864250
joke
your head.
>>
>>34864634
>everyone does it with low failure rate
>your theoretically more durable and technically more sound method also works with probably less failure rate but also much higher cost/skill
Life has many doors, Ed boy
>>
>>34864736
what is Ed boy?
>>
>>34865480
>Ed boy

oh shit waddup?!
>>
File: IMG_0982.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0982.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Bump-date
Got most of the other side done without issue, was a lot easier to vice and work with. The corners are giving me hell but I'll see what I can do, lost a carbide to one earlier and that was pretty scary
>>
>>34869469
wait, what are you doing to that trunnion?

I thought you just needed to strip the old receiver from the parts you needed?
>>
>>34869485
The original receiver was saw cut when demilled
There are still remnants of the receiver in both trunnions, so I've got to remove what's left before putting it on my new receiver blank
Oh yeah, and it's brazed
>>
>>34869527
can you use a dremel to grind or use a cut off wheel to get it off.
>>
>>34869537
Will probably be doing just that to finish this out, tightness of the corners make it difficult but I'm gonna grab a mallet and see if those little pieces are at least weakened enough to break out
>>
>>34869469
What kinda gun is that for again?
>>
File: IMG_0983.jpg (874KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0983.jpg
874KB, 3264x2448px
>>34869623
Stgw 57
And to answer my own question yes, just with a few mallet taps and pliers I was able to start 'peeling' off most of the corners, since the braze is only copper
>>
>>34869660
Oh shit that's actually pretty bad ass. I've never even seen one IRL
>>
Bumpington
>>
File: 20161109_094552.jpg (2MB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_094552.jpg
2MB, 1494x2656px
anyone ever had this problem
>have chinese sks (pic related)
>previous owner stripped the fuck out of the scope mount screws
>should be a 7/64 allens wrench to get off
>the holes are too small to use the 1/8 wrench I have but too big for 7/64 that I have
How do I get this scope mount off without replacing the whole dust cover?
>>
>>34871976
Easy outs
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34871976
BUBBA'D
U
B
B
A
D

>ayo white rifle, I bet u like u dis long banana clip up in u

you've got bigger problems than saving those screw holes. I'd start with ditching the entire dust cover mount, then the stock, then the shitty plastic magazine and possible shit tier muzzle break. Honestly I'd just throw that whole rifle in the trash. Probably costs more to unbubba than it's worth.

Also any of you AK goys know what size drill bits I should use to make the holes for the pins for all the various barrel components? Polish kit b t double u
>>
>>34872147
it doesnt have a plastic mag, just the stock
>>
>>34864736
^this

It's not like if it does crack after thousands of rounds you can't just re-weld
>>
File: 2017-08-15-17-22-45--160784346.jpg (6KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-15-17-22-45--160784346.jpg
6KB, 228x221px
>>34871976
>>
>>34871976
Cut flat head slots with a dremel
>>
>>34871976
metrique?
>>
>>34866019
¿?¿?
>>
>>34872271
what if it explodes?
>>
>>34871976
M E T R I C
E
T
R
I
C
>>
>>34873590
good thing almost all re-welds don't have to re-weld cuts that will cause crucial head-space issues.
>>
>>34875084
Mig will work for most builds but with tig you could in fact reweld those areas that would cause headspace issues.
>>
File: image.png (59KB, 265x209px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
59KB, 265x209px
>>34834125
>sucy
>worst
>>
File: IBpdhYB.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
IBpdhYB.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>34876266
He is right, best girl is the one with an MP5 and severe autism
>>
>>34863690
Small update, tried a different gun smith and they said they'd do it no problem. They're also going to install a new magazine catch so it can convert from .40 to 9mm as well (I have a 9mm barrel that fits already, but the 9mm mags were falling out sometimes when cycling rounds), and all for a fraction of the cost of what the other guy wanted just to work on the barrel.
Guess it's all about finding the right person.
>>
File: 004.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
My SVT-40's trigger spring broke last time I took it shooting, so I made myself a new one.
>>
>>34876839
That's neat. Does nobody make replacements?
>>
>>34876855
No, not that I can find.
plus this was free and works just as good.
>>
File: IMG_0986.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0986.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Bump
I do not like how this fit is looking, but I'll be damned if I'll let it stop me
>>
File: 1502331579752.jpg (2MB, 2306x2857px) Image search: [Google]
1502331579752.jpg
2MB, 2306x2857px
>>34814406
This is how I would do it. Alternatively, you can make a custom cut-out in a block of steel to match the barrel/sight base profile to use it as a base and press against it. Unless it's stuck on there real good, you'll have no problem with an adjustable wrench in my opinion, just lubricate and go slow.
>>
>>34878878
It's stuck really extra good. I've tried pic related and even tried putting the block inna vice and twisting the barrel with a pipe wrench. I'm just gonna get a tool where I can put it in a press and push it out.
>>
>>34878945
>>34878878
What I meant is using the adjustable wrench as in a press, to press the barrel out. You won't be able to rotate it, it needs to be pressed out
>>
>>34872317
KOSOVO JE SRBIJA

>>34879030
Aaahhh it all makes sense now. Good idea anon
>>
Boomp
>>
>>34872080
HA
>>
File: Design.png (2MB, 1238x922px) Image search: [Google]
Design.png
2MB, 1238x922px
>>34807774
Designed my first gun today, a single shot 12 gauge pistol and this is it. Do I have potential? Looking to become a gunsmith so advice is appreciated. I know this isn't Paul Mauser or JMB tier yet but I will get there with practice and time hopefully!
>>
>>34882829
What locks the bolt in place? Just the charging handle?
>>
>>34882829
Is the recoil spring one with a guide rod so it doesn't get hooked on the trigger? How do you get the firing pin in place? Where is the barrel trunnion? Does this design really even need a spring for the bolt because it is single shot? This design really doesn't have potential for anything. Maybe you should draft up a pistol caliber carbine because it doesn't require a lot of pressure checks.
>>
>>34882829
If you want to design guns, become a mechanical engineer. Gunsmithing really has very little to do with what you're doing.
>>
>>34882829
How does the main spring clear the dogleg in the firing pin?

>>34884206
A lot of my projects start out like that, but then I call them "concepts" as opposed to "designs" at that stage.
>>
>>34882829
community college and a degree in machining will get you places in the gunsmiting world
>>
>>34885339
if by "places" you mean "mill jockey", then yes
>>
a bump in the night
>>
>>34884030
>>34884158
>>34884206
>>34884708
>>34885339
For reference I have never held or fired a gun before and am only using forgotten weapons as a source for how guns work.
>>
File: uhhhhhhh.png (467KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
uhhhhhhh.png
467KB, 720x715px
>>34887627
Sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure if your sole source is youtube
>>
>>34887627
perhaperhaps you should find a hasguns friend and have him disassemble a gun or two with you.
>>
>>34887627
>on /k/
>never held or fired a gun before

It checks out.
>>
>>34841064
My dude you're just plonking down material it isn't that hard.
>>
File: 1475270485092.png (333KB, 512x812px) Image search: [Google]
1475270485092.png
333KB, 512x812px
>Antifunz family members coming over in a few hours
>Can't find my 10/22 receiver
What's a plausible non-/k/ related use for it if anybody finds it and asks?
>>
>>34889448
>inb4 sex toy/buttplug
>>
>>34889448
Mounting bracket for something electrical.
>>
>>34889052
>somebody who has never welded.

There's a little more to it than that nigger
>>
>>34891982
With tig? Not really. Heat it up, drip it in, be consistent, don't get your fucking voltage wrong.
>>
File: IMG_0293.jpg (23KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0293.jpg
23KB, 225x225px
>>34892005
Fuck, I wish I was half as good as you are. It took me a while to get the hang of the weaving motions at first and a few months of daily practice before I was able to lay down welds like this. I wish I could have just walked up to a project with no experience and just heat it up, drop it in, and be consistent. Anyway this is not a welding thread so I'm done discussing it but stop being a stupid fucking nigger and talking about shit you have no idea about.
>>
>>34892126
Not my fault you're retarded and took months to learn what should take a week at most.
>>
I rust blued for the first time today. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. My piece came out pretty damn nice. I don't like the way the finish looks compared to salt bluing but it's still pretty nice.
>>
>>34808962
next time stick that stuff in a container with an actual firearm, TSA man can't legally go into that once it's sealed up
>>
>>34892504
TSA can actually, they just ask you first
>>
>>34892483
Pics
>>
>>34892878
It's sitting in RIG right now. I'll post some asap.
>>
Booop
>>
>>34863368
>he thinks 8 tenth's impressive
>>
I miss the days of flandre building and trapping on here. Now he has devoted his time to being a family man, and with each passing year becomes more and more disconnected from us ;_;
>>
>>34893931
8/10 is good enough for most millwork, anyone who says it isn't eother foesnt work in a shop or is a retarded engineer who can't into allowed tolerances.
>>
>>34895145
Kits dried out, nothing left to do except home building.
>>
>>34895283
Well kits are less common, but I mainly meant that he used to be a lot more active on here but not so much nowadays.
>>
File: IMG_2926.jpg (967KB, 3232x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2926.jpg
967KB, 3232x1600px
Inherited a mangled Kar98 sporter. Want to right what was done wrong to her. She has a useless what seems to be scope mount on the side. Can't get it off. Stripped or ground screws I guess. Any guess what brand it is? Can't find any markings
>>
>>34895645
only oldfags will remember
>>
>>34897136
I remember when he posted one of his first build vids like I remember when meplat left /k/, or when HM did his dinner nook on glocks.
>>
>>34893931
>0.0008 parallelism max over 20.000 inches isn't impressive.
fuck off.
>>
>>34892968
>still no pics
>>
>>34897615
It's the internet, if you can't user a file or a chinese drill press converted into a """milling machine""" to get parts within half a millionth (that you're measuring with a harbor freight caliper) you're shit xDDDD

People like that have never actually made parts and have no concept of what real metrology is like when it has to adhere to international standards.
>>
>>34896138
Do the screws turn at all? They might just be loctited in place. Fudds tend to do that. Let some Kroil soak in and blast them with heat before trying again. You can fill in the holes with TIG or solder.

I don't think anyone could guess what it is based on that pic alone.
>>
>>34896138
Get a proper set of screw driver bits that properly.
>>
File: image.jpg (436KB, 1000x1704px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
436KB, 1000x1704px
How bad is PLA shrinkage for 3D printing?
I'm building a 10/22 but don't want to pay the extra shekels for a full rifle or aftermarket reciever, but I don't know if the plastic shrinkage would throw the tolerances off to the point of unusability.
>>
>>34900808
If you're using the fosscad one you're going to have to put a lot of work into it anyway. Having already gone down this road and after making one from ABS I'd just get a receiver if I were you.
>>
Can I put a Gp100 or SP101 barrel on a security six? I can't find any replacement barrels for the security six.
>>
>>34901589
Even if it fit you would need to do more than just thread another one on
>>
File: m53_parts_kit-nobipod[1].jpg (52KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
m53_parts_kit-nobipod[1].jpg
52KB, 800x800px
Prob gonna do an MG43 build after the SG-43
>>34876395
^this is fact
sucy is a close second though
>>34895145
>>34897186
>>34897136
yeah just no time to trap it up anymore, gonna try and still release some vids tho. Have a few in the works, just been slow to complete them.
>>
>>34902791
Are you still planning on working in the firearms industry down the road?
>>
>>34904171
>Are you still planning on working in the firearms industry down the road?
he's close to DD and HK, so he might be able to snag a jerb over there
>>
>>34904171
that is the hope, things have really slowed down in the industry at the moment though
>>
>>34904531
I think the Obama years stimulated the gun market a lot for the last 8 years with all the constant panic buying. Unfortunately the only guns that are now cheap and readily available under the god emporer are generic trash like ar's and commercial garbage bolt actions and plastic pistols. The import sanctions have only gotten more strict under him ;_; I think the days of surplus firearms are waning unfortunately.
>>
>>34904676
Well the import restrictions were left over from Obama's time. Sanctions put in place by Obama that were put in effect due to Molot's being sold to Kalashnikov Concern.

I think that panic really helped drive the market right around and after panic, it was pretty good even before but things were so much cheaper. I miss running tables at gunshows and buying $50 mosins off sellers before they opened up the gates to the general public.
>>
>>34904822
>50$ nuggs

Damn don't remind me of what we lost :(
My first raifu was an sks that my brother bought me when I was 12. Only paid 150$ :((((((((((((

Well I don't see those sanctions getting lifted anytime soon. Y-your our only hope flandre. You have to build us reproduction slavshit! Save us from the endless abyss of plastic and aluminum!
>>
File: 1502978477991.jpg (18KB, 480x418px) Image search: [Google]
1502978477991.jpg
18KB, 480x418px
>>34905783
Never gonna happen, breeki bro with a 350 dollar sten clone is the closest you are going to get.

Maybe PSA might get its shit together with thier AKs. Doubtful though.
>>
>>34905783
hopefully one day lel.
It really sucks though
MG kits and SMG kits aren't too bad right now, buying what I can before they sell out too.
>>
>>34906631
all it takes is an executive order removing sanctions
>>
>>34907461
I love Donny, but I don't think he is removing those sanctions. He would have done so by now. It would have been easy and he could have said "see I'm following through on muh campaign promise" but he hasn't.
>>
>>34907475
the left would murder him if he did.
it would be absolute proof that he's conspiring with them
>>
>>34889999
>>
>>34890000
>>
>>34907486
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that's why he hasn't done it yet.

>>34907494
>>34907505
Consecutive quads? Those posts seem irrelevant to this thread

>>34906906
Yeah it's really fucking gay. ive had an autistic fixation with firearms since I was a young child but have only been old enough to buy guns for a couple years. It was so frustrating as a kid, browsing the gun websites and seeing the price of kits and surplus guns get progressively more expensive and think wow, I still have x more years until I can really start buying some of these kits, nuggets, cheap crates of ammo etc. and now that I finally have a decent paying job and can buy guns, all the cool ones are mostly dried up. T b h one of my fondest memories was being 16 and ordering a polish akm kit that I kept hidden from my parents. It was this forbidden fruit of a rifle that I secretly built while they were out of town. I actually used your videos to build it, good times indeed.
>>
>>34907461
executive orders can be shot down just like any other political decree, just because the prez says it is so doesn't make it so. i believe that obama tried to push an executive order to de-criminalize illegal immigrants and it got shot down. the way the american government is organized is supposed to be based on checks and balances, the prez doesn't have any real power unless he has congress or senate support
>>
>>34907943
and everyone knows all three are controlled by lobbyists and special interest groups only interested supporting the shit that will line their pockets,
>>
>>34906906
>born too late for sweet surps
>born too early for 3D sintered AK clones
>>
>>34909477
why live
>>
>>34807774
Anyone use these http://www.rustblue.com/shop/bluing/rust-blue-swiss/ salts? Saw the Anvil vid on rust bluing but dont know what the diffrence is between them or if its worth the little extra
>>
>>34913797
Looks gimmicky and I've never heard of anyone using it. Stick with the well known stuff. Pilkington's, Laurel Mtn, Brownells, etc. I've had good results with Mark Lee.
>>
>>34913797
too much money for rust blue my dude
>>
File: 1430435035421.jpg (77KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1430435035421.jpg
77KB, 800x533px
>>34807774

has anyone attempted to build something like this? is it even possible? if so how would you go about it?
Thread posts: 242
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.