[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marlin Quality 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_0537.jpg (365KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0537.jpg
365KB, 750x1334px
So I picked up my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun from the FFL today!

Initial impressions were very good.

The Wood looks great, blueing was even and deep, the checkering was okay, not has good as my Browing BPS or even Ruger 10-22.

The stock fitment was actually nicer than my Browning BPS, and it looks like Marlin is getting this right now.

The real issue began when I took the gun home...

After taking the gun home and running the action a bunch, I wiped down the exterior of the gun with some CLP, then wiped down the bolt and lever to remove the factory grease that was present.

After applying CLP to the bolt and parts of the action, I loaded the magazine tube with 4 Hornady Leverlution rounds.

Loading was quick and easy, and the loading gate was fine and properly screwed in(not loose).

I then tried to cycle the action to load a round into the chamber and, unfortunately, the gun locked up with the lever almost fully extended and a round just barely protruding from the magazine tube into the chamber.

After trying to force the round back into the tube unsuccessfully, as per the YouTube suggested fix. I attempted to field strip the gun.

I could not successfully unscrew the screw holding in the lever, due to tension being placed on the screw from the lever being open I presume.

I then attempted to unscrew the magazine cap, which requires 3 screws to come out...

Two came out fine, the third was far too tight and I didn't want to risk stripping it or marring the finish.

Cont....
>>
File: IMG_0529.jpg (277KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0529.jpg
277KB, 750x1334px
>>34334531
At this point, I was pretty upset and didn't really see a fix that I could do with my available tools.

I called Marlin costumer service, a woman answered the phone and to her part, was helpful in setting up a shipping label.

I made it clear that there were still 4 live rounds stuck in the magazine tube, and that it wouldn't be possible to ship the gun.

I then asked where the closest place to get my gun serviced under warranty would be. ( I live in central Michigan).

>Uhhhhhh Illinois
>Is that all?

Well, long story short, there's actually a Marlin/Remington warranty service gunsmith literally 25 mins from me, which I found out by a simple google search.

Not very helpful costumer service.

Upon taking the gun into them, they had to strip two screws that were either over torqued by the factory or were already stripped, but were able to free up the live rounds.

I now have to wait a week or more for the repair work to be finished, and all I really got out of them was that the timing was probably off.

So yeah, not a good first impression, it appears Marlin is shipping guns that cannot even cycle a single round without catastrophically jamming the gun.

>InB4 leverlution.

It's literally the most common factory 45-70 load now, fuck off.

At least they got the exterior right!
>>
File: IMG_0424.jpg (62KB, 579x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0424.jpg
62KB, 579x576px
>>34334531
TL;DR

Marlin is still shipping out shit guns, unless this one is a total lemon.
>>
>>34334531
Marlin is trash, I've already said it, you should have listened but hey it's your shitgun not mine
>>
Yeah....been thinking about getting one but don't want to deal with a headache. How was the quality of the wood? I hear they are using very soft wood...did it seem soft/light to you?
>>
File: IMG_8833.jpg (565KB, 2094x1352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8833.jpg
565KB, 2094x1352px
>>34334680
The Wood wasn't any softer than my Ruger 10/22 but honestly that's something I'd learn after using the gun in field conditions and watching for deformations.

I will say that the checkering was pretty bad and wasn't very sharp or grippy at all, the shape looks nice I guess though.
>>
>>34334667

While boning up on the Golden 39A, was surprised to find out that Remington pretty much just moved all the Marlin tooling from New Haven and set up a Marlin factory within the Remington factory in Ilion. Thats the good news.

The bad news is that the tooling was ancient and nobody really maintained proper specs for anything, just stuff handed down from employee to employee. Apparently not enough of them jumped ship to Remington so now they have to basically start over.
>>
>>34334762
That simple fact would make me steer far away, its going to take them a while to get back on their feet if thats the case.
>>
>>34334776
To be honest, all the recent reviews indicated that they had gotten their shit together.

I'm just posting this so /k/ knows that one of their recent guns, a 2017 Manufacture, was completely fucked up from the factory.
>>
>>34334798
I would be extremely weary of ANY review, your best bet is to try to handle these things in person and see for yourself. Obviously some things you can't really judge reliability without shooting. Its a shame that this is happening to American companies and it's going to require a lot of negative feedback from their customers to push a change. Hopefully they return you a working gun.
>>
>>34334707
>I will say that the checkering was pretty bad and wasn't very sharp or grippy at all, the shape looks nice I guess though.
That's because it's not checkering. It's just stamped into the wood; not cut.
>>
Speaking of lever guns, whats the verdict on rossi-puma lever guns?
>>
>>34334874
Yeah I'd believe it.

Wood kinda looks pulverized where the "checkering" is.

It's too bad I didn't take a close up, was too busy swearing at my cat trying to unfuck the gun.
>>
File: IMG_2688.jpg (978KB, 2816x1673px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2688.jpg
978KB, 2816x1673px
Also, just to put Icing on the cake.

This was the first gun I personally saved for and bought/transferred to my name.

Very bumming, welp, time to get belligerently drunk.
>>
>>34334908
>Rossi

Supposedly they're actually good buys. Word on the street is that the finishing is kind of rough, but they clean up nicely.
>>
>>34334997
Probably just a lemon of you haven't heard of other issues with it.
>>
Such as this rossi puma?
>>
>>34334762
>so now they have to basically start over.
Which they did in 2014 with new tooling
>>
>>34334798
An overtighten screw and an unknown hangup are completely fucked? It's shitty, but there have been waaaay worse fucks under freedom group. But I guess that's relative
>>
>>34335089
Well is a gun that won't even cycle not fucked up to you?

My 1943 Garbage rod Mosin can cycle.
>>
>>34334914
Real checkering costs a lot. It's just for looks now.
>>34335103
>muh garbage rod
The most retarded of memes created by the most retarded of gun Youtubers.
>>
>>34335206
tis been a long time seen i've seen alex Cuck here
>>
>>34335206
Alex needs to be shot with a Mosin and a Carcano at the same time. A fitting punishment for furthering the memes about them
>>
>>34335206
The Mosin is a piece of shit tho
>>
>>34335030

>Word on the street is

Legit thanks for taking me back to my childhood for a moment
>>
>>34335261
No more so than most other milsurp. Most of the Mosin's problems come from them being refurb in the 1970s when they didn't care about them as long as if they worked.

I laughed so hard when Alex had an original all matching G98 up against some typical refurb M91/30. It wasn't even a fair match.

Let's also not ignore the fact that no one called the Mosin a "garbage rod" until they weren't $100 anymore.
>>
>>34335327
Holy shit is this actually the /k/ Mosin defense force?

The Mosin is absolutely inferior to the Mauser
>>
File: henry_deck_upright_sRGB_test.jpg (2MB, 3264x4912px) Image search: [Google]
henry_deck_upright_sRGB_test.jpg
2MB, 3264x4912px
>>34334601
Sorry to hear about that OP.

Hopefully we'll get a company that can actually add a loading gate to a working rifle eventually.
>>
>>34335343
where did he claim it wasnt?
>>
>>34335449
Rossi makes a great one if you can deal with the stigma of the BR.
>>
>>34335449
That's a really nice stock cover, where'd you get it?

As well as the sling
>>
File: henry_deck_foot.jpg (950KB, 2456x1632px) Image search: [Google]
henry_deck_foot.jpg
950KB, 2456x1632px
Thanks anon. Here are the links.

http://gunstockcover.com/product.sc;jsessionid=64D49BD6887A2CC12A0A69BBE1B575A4.p3plqscsfapp002?productId=8&categoryId=1

https://brassstacker.com/Rifle-Sling-and-Cartridge-Bandolier-1.html
>>
>>34334531
its not the machine
its the operator
>>
>>34335591
Care to explain how?
>>
>>34334531
That's unfortunate, I was wondering if they were beginning to straighten out QC
>>
>>34334628

I know quite a few people running Marlin 45-70's as backup rifles. Not a single problem. Great bear gun, and a great backup guide gun (as per the name).

That said, I picked up a 336SS a few years ago, and it did have a bit of casting flash just inside the ejector port. It was enough to slice you pretty good. The dealer gave me 50 bucks off the price and it took me all of 30 seconds with a file to clean it up. But just the same, it never should have made it past quality control.

I've put 100's of rounds of 30-30 through it without a hiccup.
>>
>>34335742
I know. I have friends with Guide guns as well and I was very exited to finally grab one.

I'm not really sure how this gun made it past QC at all, like they absolutely would have caught the problem had they loaded and fired a round thru it.

It should be noted that Marlin does not ship guns with fired cases from testing.
>>
>>34335519
>PLEASE ALLOW 65 calendar days for your custom made leather item to reach you
>>
>>34335884
That's not actually that bad with costum leather
>>
>>34335884
this >>34335899

It wasnt really a problem waiting anyway. You just kinda forget and when it shows up its really exciting.

Then again, I've been buying shit from china even before >>>/g/csg became a thing so I'm used to a wait.
>>
I'm going to do a follow up thread once I get my gun back, which will probably be about a week or so.

If it's still fucked up, I'd be incredibly angery.
>>
>>34335327
>No more so than most other milsurp. Most of the Mosin's problems come from them being refurb in the 1970s when they didn't care about them as long as if they worked.

This is a total false equivalency. The Mosin wasn't a good bolt action even by the standards of its own day (does it have a single feature that puts it ahead of contemporary competing designs?), and the only merit it had up until recently was that it was inexpensive. Now even that isn't the case.
>>
File: 1316393616374.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1316393616374.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>34336373
>The Mosin wasn't a good bolt action even by the standards of its own day
It's a fucking bolt action rifle. Even if it's not "the best," which is entirely subjective, or even if it was the worst (which it wasn't) it wouldn't put you at any disadvantage compared to the guy in the opposite trench with the best bolt action.
>(does it have a single feature that puts it ahead of contemporary competing designs?)
Plenty.

>and the only merit it had up until recently was that it was inexpensive. Now even that isn't the case.
The bubble popped. They aren't extremely undervalued anymore. Get over it. At least now I don't have to see as many of these monstrosities floating around at the range every time I go.
>>
>>34335103
Nope, not unless it's something substantial causing the hangup. To me fucked means something is legit broken, unfinished, out of spec etc. Not something that could be as simple as a bur. I'm not saying that your gun isn't missing teeth or doesn't have an ounce of weed in it, but I'm also not basing anything over a small sample size or what could be a small issue when thousands of 1895s roll out of the door because shit happens.

Everybody fucks up sooner or later. My 70s model 39A and 1894 were fantastic, my late 90s 336 wasnt
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
That sucks, mine was awesome. Only complaint was the loading and ejection port slightly burred but it cleaned up super easy. 2016 production, fuddy fibe sebenty
>>
>>34335031
FFL employee here.

A lot of new production Marlins that come through our store (and not even just the leverguns, even their boltguns like the XT22) are coming in with issues, and occasionally one is totally fucked.

In the last year I've seen 1894's with flaking bluing, 1 1895 that came in with a completely broken (as in, in pieces) lever out of a pristine box, several that had bores visibly off-center, an XT22 that had a visibly bent action, and several 336's that looked like they were rifled by a drunken slav driving a piece of rebar through the bore with a sledgehammer.
>>
>>34337734
>(does it have a single feature that puts it ahead of contemporary competing designs?)
>Plenty.
I like the nugget as much as the next /k/ommando, but there's really not a single thing about its design that's unique or exceptional.

Mauser actions are stronger and smoother - and pioneered the idea of using the whole bolt handle as an extra sort of fail-safe locking lug
Lee (Enfield and Metford) actions are faster - and cocked on close.
Carcano rifles had progressive rifling to better stabilize a wider array of bullets
Schmidt–Rubins and Mannlicher 1895s were, of course, straight pull
Lebels pioneered the use of nitrocellulose and the requirements unique to it (as the Brits would discover when they shot out the bores in their Lee-Metfords in a few hundred rounds of smokeless .303)

The most unique and exceptional thing about the Mosin-Nagant is how utterly un-exceptional it is. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as clearly it flourished and became the most widely produced rifle of history - but innovation was not one of its merits.
>>
I just got a guide gun myself, not going to shill for Marlin or anything but mine ran perfect.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.