[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else hunt with compound bows as well? does this belong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: compound-bow-guide-1000x600.jpg (105KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
compound-bow-guide-1000x600.jpg
105KB, 1000x600px
Anyone else hunt with compound bows as well?

does this belong in weapons?

I hunt with both rifle and bow depending on tag prices/season
>>
Bows belong in >>>/toy/ or >>>/his/ along with melee weapons, manual action firearms, crossbows, less than lethal, black powder and anything else that isn't a modern semi auto firearm.

/k/ is for not the place for discussion of archaic, useless and obsolete things. If you buy any of these YOU WILL DIE in shtf after jamal kicks your door in and you couldn't stop him with your special snowflake less lethal katana bow.

Save the money towards a AR, starting price $1k as anything below that is unreliable, cheap trash that is hardly suited for a range toy. Let alone a fighting weapon.
>>
>>34042985
i have 4 ar's
>>
>>34042950

I have some questions:

How precise do your arrows fly compared to your rifle?
How often do you miss-shoot and leave the game wounded but running, bow vs rifle?
What's your effective distance, again comparing the two
Why did you choose to get into bow-hunting? I assume you started with the rifle.
>>
>>34042985

Autistic faggot
>>
>>34042985
>Hunting belongs in >>/out/
>/k/is for mallninjas and caliber wars only
>>
>>34042992

>How precise do your arrows fly compared to your rifle?

far less accurate, your kill range and kill zone is quite a bit smaller it's definitely a different skill.

>How often do you miss-shoot and leave the game wounded but running, bow vs rifle?

The bow takes more training for sure. I've lost only one deer to a mis-shot wound where we failed to locate the downed animal at sundown.
that was when i was new I now go with a group.

>What's your effective distance, again comparing the two

not even close, the rifle will out perform the bow every single time

>Why did you choose to get into bow-hunting? I assume you started with the rifle.

friend handed me a bow and we shot at a range inside a local gun store that had an archery pro-shop located inside of it.

Was a nice semi-related hobby

it's also dirt cheap.

I shoot a Martin that I bought for $499.99 and the arrows were something like $12 a piece the broadheads i use were like $20

target tips are like $3 for a pack of 12 or something stupid like that

the license is also quite a bit cheaper
>>
>>34042985
/k/, easiest board to bait
>>
File: 1493820234505.png (48KB, 924x560px) Image search: [Google]
1493820234505.png
48KB, 924x560px
>>34042985
Fuck off and die, normie autismo.
>>
I have a 40lb recurve that I never shoot because I'm 6'4 with long armspan, and I can't find arrows that are long enough to not fall off the riser on draw
>>
>>34043033
I don't shoot recurve, and i don't think recurve has the poundage to hunt unless you're dedicated as fuck to the sport

so i'm probably not any help, but you can get fitted for draw weight + draw length at a pro shop

they could probably help you set it up?
>>
>>34043045
I was reading all this shit about arrow spines and shit to maximize accuracy, how important is this for archery? As long as the arrow is strong enough to not shatter should be good to go, right?
>>
File: whisker biscuit.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
whisker biscuit.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>34043095
I don't know i'm not exactly an expert.

I shoot plastic vanes through a whisker biscuit

which is a "pleb" thing to do. but it's cheap and it works for me

arrows are like $12 whisker biscuit arrow rest was $40 at walmart

--------

people make a big deal about feather fletching that's twisted, carbon fiber arrow shafts and drop away arrow rests that are tied to the guide cables and drop away when the arrow is released.

I think all that shit is a little ridiculous

i think drop away rests start at $150ish

and carbon arrows go for about double to up to triple what i spend per arrow

i figured it's a stick with blades on it, does it really need to be the latest carbon nano tech bullshit?
>>
>>34043115

For some reason I always preferred shooting helical fletching on carbon arrows with a drop away rest on my old Hoyt

Never got why people get so ansy about other peoples gear, I personally cant stand whisker rests myself but who am I to bash someones gear if it works for them?

I found through trial and error that if you can't shoot with the basics then there's fuck all point in dropping hundreds if not thousands on a setup that can't hit a dinner plate at 40 yards.

Ignore the trolls and spergs, bowhunting most definitely belongs here since correct me if I'm wrong but a bow is a weapon?

>>34043095

It depends on a few factors, mostly the poundage of bow you happen to be shooting, the rest, the weight of the arrow + tip. An arrow that is too weak or overly strong in spine will have a tenancy to porpoise or fishtail in flight, if its too weak you risk dry firing the bow and fucking EVERYTHING potentially yourself too. Its not fun removing carbon splinters from your hand and dealing with your limbs/ riser on your bow cracking

>>34043033

shit nigga whats your goddamn draw length??????
>>
>>34043115
>I think all that shit is a little ridiculous
It is to a certain extent, but carbon arrows are worth the money. I get a better feel for the arrow shooting carbon than I do with aluminum and they are far lighter. What really gets me about the sport is the insane ammount of focus on mechanical broad heads. Rage are the only one's I've had work reliably, all the others seem somewhat gimicky.

I still shoot slick tricks, because it's simple and works.
>>
>>34042950
Bows are for faggots
>>
>>34042985
Hello delicious copy pasta!
>>
>>34043266
then you should love them
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.