[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you cope with going to the gun range alone? When I go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_4184.jpg (114KB, 527x487px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4184.jpg
114KB, 527x487px
How do you cope with going to the gun range alone? When I go I can tell that everybody there knows I'm pathetic loser without any friends. I've even seen a kid who was with his dad point and laugh at me.
>>
>>33668768
lmao. people go to the range all the time. it's no big deal. in fact 90% of the guys I see are solo. they're all lonely af and start random conversations too.
>>
>>33668768
i know these feels.sort of.
no i just try to tell myself i dont give a fuck
>>
>>33668768
I go once or twice a week, alone. I like to run 200 rounds and leave. Why would I make going to the range for practice a drawn out event?
>>
>>33668953

>I like to run 200 rounds and leave.
>run

Do us a favor and leave early.
>>
>>33668768
Alone at range is best range imo. Focus on whatever I went to accomplish with no distractions. Family trips to shoot are fun as well but can devolve into in a "herding cats" type event if I'm trying to monitor several people at once.
>>
File: 1476065178955.png (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476065178955.png
1MB, 960x720px
Stop going to ranges with a no singles policy unless you buy crab legs and falcon show for everyone there.
>>
>he goes to the range alone
HAHA FAGGOT
>>
>>33668768
YOUR GUN IS YOUR FRIEND
>>
>>33668853
>>33668953
I go maybe every two months. I have to psych myself up for weeks and I only stay at the range for 15-20 minutes. One time a guy tried making small talk and I just got up while he was talking and had a panic attack in my car.
>>
>>33668768
>Be not autistic
>Go to range alone
>Talk to people there
>Range officers know me by name
>Unusual guns start conversation
>Get along well with people when I want to talk
>Left alone to shoot when I want to just shoot
>Everything is fine

Feels good.
>>
File: kOtUm77.jpg (42KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
kOtUm77.jpg
42KB, 500x668px
Dude...Just go. The gun works the same either way.
>>
>>33669042

What kind of meds did your parents put you on when you were a kid?
>>
>>33669094
I honestly don't remember their names. In fact, I don't remember much of my adolescence.
>>
File: 1481224828342.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481224828342.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>33668768
Nigga what are you on about? Going to the range alone is great. No worrying about babysitting or keeping up with someone, just take your time and practice what you want to at your own pace, it's super relaxing.

If you're that self conscious about it, strike up some conversations with other range goers, most are pretty cool people.
>>
>>33669015
>complains about being alone at range
>don't go to ranges with a no singles policy

I'm sorry this is so difficult for you.

Being at the range alone is better, nobody cares about my shitty groups. Why you people want to leave the gun amusement park after 20 minutes is beyond me. Nobody is paying attention to you unless you're doing something retarded and you're just projecting all the other bullshit.
>>
>>33669319
I can hardly ever talk to people and when I do the other person immediately knows I'm an autist. I have never struck up a conversation with a stranger before in my life.
>>
>>33668853
former RSO here, can confirm most people that used our range were alone
>>
File: 1492249764584.jpg (58KB, 540x325px) Image search: [Google]
1492249764584.jpg
58KB, 540x325px
>>33669428
Dude just start by saying hello nice day, or something like that?
>>
Guns are my hobby and I like to shoot, so it doesn't matter if I'm with someone or not. I just to like to shoot.
>>
>not camping overnight solo on your favorite blm location and shooting solo at dawn

Its like you dont want to be happy in life.
>>
>>33669042
Are you even allowed to own a firearm ?
What is wrong with this country , giving weapons to people like you
>>
> Load up the car
> Drive to range
> See the gate is unlocked and open
> Someone is already here
> Drive past the entrance
> Turn around
> Go home
> Unpack

I guess I'm just antisocial.
>>
>>33668768
I don't go to the range to socialize, I go to practice. Besides, you can't have a conversation over all the gunfire anyway. Do you just get separation anxiety or some shit?
>>
>>33669428
Honestly, I hate small talk too. You don't have to talk if you don't like to. Other people being there shouldn't prevent you from doing things you enjoy. Have you tried an anxiety med?
>>
>>33669466
Then what? I don't know where to go from that.
>>33669501
I don't want to hurt other people.
>>33669592
I stopped taking medication 2 years ago when my mom stopped taking me to a psychiatrist. I was supposed to keep going on my own but I didn't want to anymore.
>>
>>33669684
I didn't find much use for a counselor, but I hear they work for others. Try something.
>>
>>33668768
When I go to the range, I'm there to improve my marksmanship, not to be worried about being judged by other people. Even If I get judging looks, I really couldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>33669015
Ranges with rental guns tend to be very cautious with people going alone
>>
Frogposting should be an automatic ban outside of >>>/r9k/
>>
File: 20160922_1777899.jpg (152KB, 1440x810px)
20160922_1777899.jpg
152KB, 1440x810px
>>33668768

I'm so sorry, Anon. I understand how you feel. This isn't rational, though.

So many people, maybe even most people, go to the range alone. No one questions it and those that do are being odd cunts. It's just better for relaxation and concentration, and sometimes you've just gotten out of work and you just need some goddamn alone time at the range.

That's why I'm inclined to believe the kid wasn't laughing at you or at least wasn't laughing at you being at the range alone (what kid notices that shit or even cares lmao)

>>33669042

It sounds like you need therapy desu. That won't fully solve things (unless you actually apply what you learn irl) but you definitely have some painfully disordered thinking that a counselor could really help alleviate. Use https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms and filter for a therapist who specializes in helping autistic clients. You think and perceive things differently, if they specialize in working on your wavelength, it will be a lot more applicable to you and therefore a lot more likely to work.

>>33669466

Probably not a good idea. A non-autist might be able to swing this but someone like OP might have no idea what to say next, how to keep shit going, or how to be casual about it in the first place.

Anyway, my advice for coping (I used to have very bad social anxiety and depression) is to listen to podcasts while shooting. I actually started listening to podcasts before I owned a gun because when things were quiet and the only voice in my head was mine, it was a fucking nightmare of negativity spiraling. Listen to podcasts that feature a group of people that you like. That shit honestly improved my ability to handle banter and I learned how to keep up the flow of a conversation better and bring shit back from a period of silence. I also just became more comfortable with other people, especially in groups. It's like a lesson in how to interact with others naturally.

Hopefully any of this helps at all.
>>
>>33668768
>See the big man cry, moma, see the big man cry
>>
>>33670110
thank you
>>
>>33668768
>How do you cope with going to the gun range alone?
bring someone
>>
>>33669684
>I stopped taking medication 2 years ago when my mom stopped taking me to a psychiatrist.

How the hell are you legally buying guns?
>>
>>33671035
I ordered a shitty AR online and I picked it up from a gun store.
>>
I prefer going alone honestly.

Usually I go to the range with a purpose, be it sighting in a rifle or running a drill for DOTM, or just practicing shooting. Helps me keep focus on what I'm doing and get a sense of fulfilment.
>>
OP, i have a range 20 minutes from me but I've never gained the courage to go
I drive an extra 20 minutes to BLM land, and even then I'm apprehensive when other people are out.
>>
>>33669042
That's some high grade autism
>>
>>33668768
Interacting with people stresses me out. I go to the range to relax.

I shoot alone. I drink alone. I beat off alone. Having other people around ruins everything.
>>
>>33672202

My nigga.
>>
where else can you be alone with your hobbies and considered a loser?
>>33669015
putting range?
falcon range?
arcade?
batting cages?
tennis cages?
>>
>>33668768
I usually go with a buddy but I find it FAR more enjoyable if I'm alone and no one else is at the range. No waiting out cold ranges, check and changing targets whenever I damn well please, not having to deal with brass Gremlins or babysit my friends.
>>
>have friends kinda into guns, own their own
>ask to go to range with me, learn to shoot better
>"Sure, I usually go (day) at (time), that work?"
>"How about (other day) at (time)? Bring that (gun), I wanna try it!"
>"Sounds good to me!"
>Rescheduled range day happens. Pack extra ammo. Bring gun for friend to try, etc.
>Get text one hour before range time
>"Hey man I can't make it."

Repeat this process between multiple friends over the course of years. I don't invite people to the range anymore. If they ask to go I tell them when I'm gonna be there, show up if they want.

I get far better practice in when it's just me. I'm at the range often enough the staff knows me. They give me a lane far away from anyone else, and will come in and BS with me on their breaks. They let me shoot new stuff they get in to the rental section for free including a few full autos.

Basically OP, stop being reliant on other people to have a good time. Go to the range and enjoy yourself, quit acting like a sperg, and be friendly to the range staff.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.