[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Multi-directional fragmenting bullets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: frag bullet.png (213KB, 1094x615px) Image search: [Google]
frag bullet.png
213KB, 1094x615px
So i got bored and was wondering if any one could point out any obvious flaws with my design besides cost of production? Would the idea work in theory or am I completely retarded?

It was a quick idea sketch so i'm sure i missed something... But would a secondary primed ignition when the bullet arrived at destination work as a grenade?

I came up with this idea after seeing the thread about a grenade launched via bow/arrow... >_> sorry I killed a thread for this and in return I would be willing to visualize via graphic any one else's ideas for new methods of cartridge delivery etc... ?
>>
The bursting charge is going to push most of the fragments out of or away from the target. It should be located in the base of the bullet surrounded by a non-fragmenting base so that it directs more of the blast forward into the target.
>>
>>33549889
I feel as though the bullet would fragment during the external ballistic phase quite easily. Perhaps if the projectile was simply scored instead of made of pre fragmented pieces you'd have a better effect. But in all honesty at any small projectile size you'd be losing density to the very meager explosive payload. On a larger bullet, the bullet is very easily going to kill the target without needing to explode. That being said, possible in the upper 45 to 50 caliber pistol cartridge you may get a little extra bang with a tiny explosive payload, it's just working the detonator in that'd be the huge pain. Not sure if we'll ever see 50 SAPHE rounds.
>>
File: 650px-Raufoss_NM140_MP_(en).svg.png (41KB, 650x330px) Image search: [Google]
650px-Raufoss_NM140_MP_(en).svg.png
41KB, 650x330px
>>33549889
Largely because the main doctrine behind standard issue rifle is that the bullet hits it's intended target and penetrates/fragments fairly well. An explosive bullet of similar size might not accomplish that. Raufoss Mk 211 (.50 BMG APHE) is the size at the point where your round has some oomf to for explosive purposes. The US is currently developing a 20mm air burst grenade that does what you desire.

Basically, go big or go home.

Anyhow, thanks for the frag bullet image. Also, there's Frag-12 if that's of any interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQYp9fOJ9VI
>>
>>33550007
>>33550017

there would be a lighter metal alloy bandaround and cut into the lead fragments? its in the picture the gold band on the left. It wouldn't rupture and cease to be there until the secondary explosion occurred.
>>
>>33550086
I guess R.I.P. rounds do what i am trying to achieve desu >_> le~meme round... I feel defeated now haha
>>
>>33550086

I think you missed the point. Those fragments at the back of the bullet would be blown AWAY from the target after the secondary.
>>
>>33550056
25mm, friend.
>>
File: bullet diagram.png (210KB, 831x510px) Image search: [Google]
bullet diagram.png
210KB, 831x510px
>>33549889

OKAY I REDID IT from scratch with a little more thought, STILL STUPIDLY complex for what it is... But I'm still just that bored...

Comments? Concerns? I think my goal here is to create a concept that could theoretically actually work IRL... regardless of complexity/price per round.
>>
>>33549889
>>33548626
GODDAMNIT, READ THE CATALOG YOU STUPID SHITS

There's already a thread for your stupid ideas: >>33527479
>>
The german built something like that in the 40's and it would tend to blow after exiting the meat, you need a crazy fast way to make it detonate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXaaybiRiYY
>>
>>33550056
I wonder how much a single Mk 211 costs to produce, that looks fairly complicated for a bullet
>>
>>33550442
Can you imagine this as a self defense round in a pistol conversion JESUS...
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.