[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are air rifles allowed on /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: prod_123_full.jpg (33KB, 708x347px) Image search: [Google]
prod_123_full.jpg
33KB, 708x347px
Are air rifles allowed on /k/?
>>
>>33382142
I guess it's technically a weapon so ya
>>
>>33382142

Out of pity, yes
>>
sure are, the main thing /k/ bitches about is airsoft and .45's/9mm's
>>
Air Rifles and NERF are accepted.

Airsoft is not.
>>
>>33382142
Yes.

Thay are weapons, pretty damn good for pest control and small game.

There's also this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
>>
>>33382142
yeah. we had a rabbit thread and I was wondering why more people dont use sling shots and crossmans or daisy pellet guns for rabbit removal.
>>
File: P1070309.jpg (2MB, 1920x2452px) Image search: [Google]
P1070309.jpg
2MB, 1920x2452px
>>33382142
Yup. They're awesome for borderline free plastic on rimfire spinners like pic related.
Also, the hunting pellets are nasty. I love the loud THWAP noise I hear using them, usually knocks birds dead on the spot.
When I was using my 177 rifle and a scope, I shit you not, I saw daylight through a blackbird as it stood there like nothing happened for a couple seconds while a few drops of blood quickly dripped out of the hole.
>>
File: 177 vs 22cal Polymag.jpg (681KB, 2052x1160px) Image search: [Google]
177 vs 22cal Polymag.jpg
681KB, 2052x1160px
>>33382903
>borderline free plastic
practice
wtf, auto-correct isn't even to blame for that
>>
>>33382627
Because slingshots take a fuckload of practice and require actual ammunition and not just "a rock or something" if you want it to be accurate and lethal enough to hunt with past grabbing distance. Marbles work but are kinda expensive, steel balls (either commercial slingshot ammo or ball bearings) don't retain lethal energy past about 25 feet, and the GOOD ammo--muzzleloader balls--are really fucking expensive and fly nothing at all like literally anything else you can shoot from one so you HAVE to practice with them and not cheaper ammo.

Because a good springer costs as much as a mediocre .22lr semi (~$150, Savage 64F or Mossberg 702) and the cheapest HPA or PCP guns cost more than a 10/22TD, actually-good pellets are 4-5 cents per and garbage pellets are still 2 cents per. Not to mention most .177 air rifles are as loud as a subsonic .22lr because they're supersonic at all but extreme altitudes (~8000ft) even with the factory "suppressors" that only knock off a couple dB from the shot and to get an effective range of over 50 yards with any type of air rifle you have to step up over .22cal into the .25's, .32's, and .38's.

Actual BB guns or multi-ammo air rifles (Red Ryder, Powerline 880, 760 Pumpmaster) are even worse than actual pellet rifles when using steel BB's. Significantly less accurate with half the muzzle energy and carry about 1/4th the energy at 10 yards due to the shit-tier aerodynamics of a sphere and the garbage density of steel. When you can headshot a starling at 20 feet and it doesn't even draw blood with your 800fps BB gun you know it's not enough to hunt with.
>>
File: P1030335.jpg (604KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
P1030335.jpg
604KB, 2048x1536px
>>33382627
>>33382991
I'd much sooner trust my small game hunting to a blowgun than a slingshot. At least it's pretty easy to be accurate with those.
>>
>>33382203
NERF or nuthin
>>
>>33383026
With the right darts you're probably correct.

I'm not saying that slingshots or pellet rifles are outright not viable, just generally not economic or provide any real benefit over an actual firearm unless you live somewhere you can't use a real firearm.

When I lived in Arizona I carried a wrist rocket and .44cal lead balls (for my 1858 repro) when I jump-shot ducks on all the little water impoundments. I'd use it to sploosh the water on the far side of the ones that were out of range and they'd flush in my direction, and I'd usually get a shot.

I killed a fair number of rabbits and jackrabbits with it, but I wounded a shitload too. I shot a particularly dumb javelina in the head with one at about 6 feet and while it broke skin it didn't seem to cause any serious injury.
>>
>>33382142
air rifles, air powered weapons, are welcome
airsoft, toys, are >>>/toy/ or >>>/asp/
>>
Hammerli 850 .22 and unmarex USP .177 masterrace reporting in
>>
>>33382991
>buying Muzzleloading balls
Literally 30 bucks of buckshot mould and lead that is maybe 20 cents a pound if you can't be arsed to source a free spot.
>inb4 no one gives it out for free near me
Give me a town and I'll call places my fucking self and find lead for that price you autistic faggot.
>>
>>33383075
Also, fun story.
>sitting on patio
>patio is surrounded by oak trees
>patio is covered with a carpet of acorns almost an inch deep 24 hours after sweeping it for 3 months every fall
>squirrels are being annoying
>go grab wrist rocket and sit real still on the patio
>shoot acorns at squirrels with surprising accuracy, hit 8/10 shots
>they think it's a game and now I have more squirrels than I did when I started because "hey he delivers!"
>>
>>33383120
Commercial buckshot works fairly well too, 00buck is .32cal and ~64gr. Generally cheaper than muzzleloader balls, although it'll be harder (higher antimony) so you're not gonna get any expansion from a slingshot (not like you get anything more than token expansion with pure lead though).

Yes, DIY casting is cheaper. Not everybody has the time or space to do it though, even if the supplies are free.
>>
>>33382903
How's the Socom? I've been avoiding Gamo due to that ugly shiny black piece of plastic they have at the back of every model's receiver
>>
>>33383120
Well, as long as you're offering,
>Arnold MO
Best I can do is ~75c a pound around here and they'll be extra-grody wheel weights with a shitload of zinc and steel weights mixed in.

If you're gonna be an autistic ass, be a useful one and find me cheap lead.
>>
File: IMAG0345.jpg (3MB, 4224x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0345.jpg
3MB, 4224x2368px
>>33383119
Fuck, forgot pic
>>
Can someone redpill me on scopes mounted to break-barrel springers?
>>
>>33383150
I live in an apartment and just do it on my balcony, time I can understand but unless you dorm or live in the middle of a large city there's no real reason not to. Even then you can just drive out to a picnic area when it's forcasted to rain

>>33383173
>Montana
Most beautiful place I've ever visited, if the thread dies I'll make a reloading thread with your town in the title either calling you a retard or admitting defeat.
>>
>>33383243
>Montana
I'm retarded and almost called up a bunch of random dentists and boatyards there
>>
File: 900fps 22pellet.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
900fps 22pellet.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>33383152
Socom?
I love my gamos, but the 22 is my favorite. It's pretty obvious that it has more power when you clank the spinners.
The 1300fps gun launches a 10.5gr pellet at ~900-ish, the 22 launches a 14.3gr pellet at about that speed.
>>
>>33383124
finally anon delivers
>>
>>33383205
No cause they are shit. Look into that at all and you see that break barrels are shit with scopes cause the barrel dropes differently each time.
>>
>>33383124
>>33383309

Fucking kek
>>
>>33382142
no, kill yourself
>>
Would a pcp be good for shooting practice in my backyard?
>>
>>33382188
>not mentioning the superior 10mm...
>>
>>33382991
PCPs are $200 now. And pellets are only supersonic if you sperg out and buy gimmicky lightweight ones that promise high FPS. People who know what they're doing use heavy hunting pellets that stay subsonic.
>>
>>33382142
You have to go back.
>>
>>33383205
Scopes are another reason that high power springers are a marketing gimmick. They will shift the scope in its rings, damage it internally, or both.
>>
>>33386439
it's designed to kill, it's a weapon

maybe he's a suburbanite tired of having his garden ripped up by faggot rabbits
>>
File: benjamin 347 (2).jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
benjamin 347 (2).jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
Post your vintage airguns
>>
>>33385285
Potentially, if you have the capability to refill the tanks yourself without a gorillion pumps with a hand pump.

>>33386419
>pellets are only supersonic if you sperg out and buy gimmicky lightweight ones
""no""
Industry standard for a break-barrel springer is 1200fps with PBA (your lightweight) pellets. They will achieve around 1100-1120fps with standard 7.5-8gr pellets (Crosman Destroyer, Crosman Premier, Gamo Red Fire, RWS Diabolo, Beeman Wadcutter, etc). Unless you're living at extremely high altitude they will be supersonic.

Furthermore, springers have gotten as high as 1500fps with many widely-retailed models in the 1400fps range with PBA pellets. Even your ultra-heavy 16gr pellets are gonna be supersonic through one of them (even if accuracy will be shit since springers are designed around <10gr pellets and the heavy ones are for PCP guns).

I don't give a fuck if PCP's are $200, single-shot .22lr rifles are $110 and semi's are $140.
>>
>>33386470
Sure, cheap chink ones but you're fucking retarded if you think a spring will fuck shit up on an entry level scope.
>>
I've got a crossman legacy, and I had two Avanti/Daisy 570s or something like that I got from the CMP. Too bad one would squib every tenth round or so, and the other had a canted barrel. Tore one apart to put it's pump on the other, and now neither really work, so I'm out ~$200 that I could have just bought a new Benjamin pump air rifle with.

Was just using the crossman tonight though since the range I go to is closed and I wanted to do some plinking. Shooting at spent .223 cases from 10 yards inside my apartment is fun, but the sights are kinda shit on it. Is there a cheap pump air rifle with target sights that also actually works?
>>
>>33386655
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Match_Grade_Avanti_753S/144
>>
File: 1480887055253.jpg (187KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1480887055253.jpg
187KB, 750x1334px
>>33386507
Say that to my face baldnigger. Fucking immigrant ape fucks shit up every country they move to and make it impossible for honest hard working rabbits to have a decent life where we don't have to deal with submammals ruining everything for the rest of us.
Go back to africa, Chimp. Day of the snare when?
>>
>>33386728
That's essentially what I got from the CMP, except with a pistol grip. It probably works better since it's new, but probably not worth $400.
>>
>>33386792
Certainly isn't in my opinion. But then again I can't see spending more on a meh-tier air rifle than I would for a meh-tier .22lr.

What I found hilarious, watching the various videos on Pyramyd Air, is even the fully-integrally-suppressed PCP guns running in the 550-600fps range with .177's were in the 95-100dBA range 2' in front and 2' to the right of the muzzle. A Savage Mk2 using CCI Quiet and a quality thread-on can is running right around 60-62dBA with the same instrument location, and something with a ridiculously long barrel like a CZ455 Luxe with the same ammo is right at 58dBA. So they're significantly louder for approximately 1/6th the muzzle energy (8FPE vs. 45FPE, 40gr@710fps vs. 8gr@600fps). Hell even without a suppressor CCI comes in at ~75dbA at the muzzle.
>>
>>33386931
I've got a CZ 452 ultra lux. It's got a 28" barrel or something like that and it is quiet as fuck but I also can't shoot it in my apartment.
>>
>>33386989
So an airgun would be a good fit for you.

For me, part of the joy of shooting is being outside. I have no need or want to shoot indoors, ever (barring a home invasion, then both, but only as a last resort).

Also, I have a basement, I could easily shoot indoors (safely) if I wanted to provided I kept the sound down.
>>
>>33386989
Oh, also.

I really want an ultra lux, I do a lot of rimfire silhouette shooting and would dearly love both the extra sight radius and the ability to stabilize Aguila's 60gr SSS load for the extra KE at 150+ yards (we shoot to 250). My current silhouette gun has a 16.1" barrel and it keyholes, the manufacturer recommends at least a 20" barrel for full stabilization and a 24" barrel for good accuracy.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.