[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I Have a Chance at Joinning?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: USMC.png (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
USMC.png
17KB, 225x225px
Sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong board, in a thread on a different board after a few posts several service anons suggested I come to /k/, never posted here before.

I'm 27 years old, former NCAA D.1 track athlete, with a background in biology. Lately I've been thinking about joining the marines (my entire family is marines, so my preferred service branch) and I want to be a corpsman/medic based on my skill set. My family has worked in all job lines though, currently have an uncle in intelligence and another uncle who is a colonel in spec ops. (can't say what they do though sorry).

Am I too old? Is this a midlife crisis pipe dream? I don't have a college degree, but hope to get into OCS and get an education so I can spend my life doing something meaningful. I have a background (somewhat) in military life from going to military schools in middle school and high school, and some college under my belt (roughly junior year completed for credits).

Sorry again if this is the wrong board, please no bully please no ban.
>>
>>33380870
Corpsman is a navy MOS. If you want to do that you have to join the navy.
>>
>>33380870
There is a general dedicated to military enlistment, they should be able to give you a decent answer

>>33376826
>>
>>33380979
thanks anon!
>>
While you may be able to enlist, you'll hate being bullied by 21 year olds and managed by 24 year olds. You'll get paid sit and be treated like a child. Not worth it. At this age go PJ or CCT, otherwise don't bother.
>>
>>33380870
>my entire family is marines

>Dosen't know that corpsmen and all medical personnel are Navy

Yeah, right, buddy. You might even be too stupid to be a jarhead.
>>
>>33380870
>former D1 Track Athlete
Nigger they'd take you in ten seconds
>>
>>33380870
>Joinning
yes you do
>>
>>33380870
corpsman is NOT a marine corps mos
currently 18 and joining in the summer here
>>
>>33380870
A corpsman is a sailor as a matter of definition.
>>
>>33384728
sorry i'm a civi :( i feel dumb now after people corrected me. thinking about force recon now but gunna try to talk to my uncle before i go first to get his help, he's just hard to get on the phone because he's a col. in intelligence and i never really no where he is.

plznobully
>>
>>33385021
>thinking about force recon

Kek, either than or try out for astronaut. You just sign up for it, right?

Fucking imbecile.
>>
>>33385021
>a col. in intelligence

He sits in an office all day long. Period. If you can't call him, it's because he's not taking your calls.
>>
>>33385021
lol, last I checked there were only like 400 guys in force recon and a lot left as soon as they could join a socom unit. It's not Vietnam anymore, recon isn't a dead profession but it's not souly ran by people, spy planes and the occasional satellite images. Also they're going to be selective as all hell, it'll take you years to get to a point when they'll accept you and you'll always be competing with someone your own age who has multiple combat deployments while you probably won't get any because all the legit enemies left have nukes.
>>
>>33380870
>I'm 27 years old,
>Lately I've been thinking about joining the marines
>Am I too old? Is this a midlife crisis pipe dream?

I joined at 28, the hardest part was dealing with whining entitled brats.

>I want to be a corpsman/medic

That's the Navy numb nuts. The Marine Corps has no medical fields

> I don't have a college degree, but hope to get into OCS

You are literally to old for OCS. If you enlisted and went to Bootcamp tomorrow you will age out of eligibility before you could even get an OCS package put together.
>>
"Spend my life doing something meaningful"

STOP

STOP RIGHT THERE

DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY

You will spend 5 years baby sitting people your own age or older, being told what to eat, what to wear, when to be places, where to go, for a mission you likely don't understand with equipment not suited for the job. You will be over worked, under paid and likely develop a drinking problem.

You already have some college, go to school, get a degree and get it in something you enjoy and can get a job in. That's how you will do something meaningful. Not spend a minimum of 4 years stagnant doing things that likely won't equate to the civilian world.

If you go the civilian route you will make twice the money and actually have a say in what you do in life. I just finished 5 years, and unless you were in IT, nothing you do will land you a reasonable paying job for a college educated man in his 30's. There is a reason why the military throws money at officers every couple years to keep them in specialized jobs. Because it fucking sucks and they throw thousands of dollars at you to keep you in, and you take it because you've got three kids, a sports car, 15K in debt and a house payment. Trapped.
>>
>>33388116

You also don't want to be a Corpsman. That's what my rate was. It's skate city on shore commands, blue side on ships is boring, with marines isn't bad if you like that shit.

But you get out with nothing. 80% of the jobs don't give you the certs required in the civilian field. So you will get out with the qualifications to be a Medical assistant making 50K a year MAX.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.