[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MEG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 29

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Something to poke edition.

old thread: >>33376249
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
i suppose ill ask again, so i may get a few more responses.

would the army be willing to take me for a combat role if i looked like this?

Im pretty fucking fat usually hovering between 340-350lbs standing 5'8". I want to loose the weight and i want to join the military before i turn 25, im currently 20.
>>
File: 1400636213870.jpg (136KB, 642x528px) Image search: [Google]
1400636213870.jpg
136KB, 642x528px
>Thinking about rotc
>You don't get to pick your job
Is there a place where you can see the needs of each branch?
The total randomness of it is the only thing stopping me from signing up.
>>
>>33376911
bumpin, because that would be neat.
>>
How possible is it to get through basic training without getting smoked?
>>
>>33377091
About as possible getting attacked by dragons
>>
File: 1478698084445.png (623KB, 880x641px) Image search: [Google]
1478698084445.png
623KB, 880x641px
>>33377091
can't handle the smoke?
get out of the firing range.
>>
>>33377161
Just wanted to know.
>>
>>33376911

No, it varies too much for those kind of numbers to be easily available.
>>
>>33376847
I lost 160 lbs before I joined up. I don't look like anything that bad but I've clearly got some extra skin. The docs at MEPS said something and every time I get taped they mention it. Army don't give a Fuuuck.

Just don't have thin skin (ha) and be able to take a joke.
>>
>>33377091
I was the embodiment of the invisible man, not a sing DS or Cadre member knew my name, and I still got smoked.

No
>>
>>33377091
At least half the smoking is for no reason at all, really. Even if you show up and do everything personally, they're going to smoke you.
>>
If i cannon manage to get the contract that i want , should i wait on it? How long might i need to wait?
>>
>>33377816
Not no reason at all.

If you want to build a man up first you have to break him down. Cruelty is not (or, at least, should not be) for cruelty's sake.
>>
>>33376826
If I want back and knee problems before I hit 30, what branch and mos should I choose?
>>
>>33378623
Combat Engineer because you'll carry a ton of heavy shit so your knees will be toast.
>>
File: 1469070825861.jpg (91KB, 640x677px) Image search: [Google]
1469070825861.jpg
91KB, 640x677px
How do you other vets talk yourselves out of getting back in? I've been toying with the idea for a while now and at the moment I'm probably in better shape than I ever was when I was in. Just been having plenty of nostalgia as one of my coworkers is getting ready to ship out to basic on an 18x contract. I started really feeling it after I read this

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/01/e4-mafia-campaign/

And was reminded of the first time I was shanghaied into company command for a training exercise.
>Short notice so a good portion of the company skated to include the commander and 1SG
>Arrive to the exercise with my truncated company of mostly E-4s and a good mix of junior and senior NCOs
>Also two other officers at my same rank but I was put in charge for some reason
>Get to our billet
>We have tents, MREs, weapons, what we packed with us, and nothing else
>Was assured we would have gensets, comms, cots supplied to us
>E-4 Mafia decides this will not do
>Within a week we had everything we needed and more
>To include a lightset generator and cornhole boards
>Go into the officer/sNCO tent one day
>E-4 sitting on my cot shooting the shit with the NCOs
>They're eating an entire fucking cake
>Still have no idea where he got it
>>
Well I'm taking a huge leap of faith. Going blue to green AF>Army with hopes of being accepted to USMA. Worst case scenario I get a better job than I currently have in the Air Force (Ammo/ordnance)
>>
>>33378639
Don't you have to carry a shit ton of heavy shit in most MOS'?
>>
>>33378990
Of course. But combat engineers is worse. And what will really get to you is that since they work on construction and stuff they will jump down from scaffolds and heights with heavy equipment. It's like a guy i know who used to be a cav scout and carrying all that heavy equipment he never really used the ramp to disembark, he jumped down. Same as with plane mechanics, they will jump down from the wing instead of using a ladder. So they get fucked up as well.
>>
>>33377720
thanks man i appreciate it. That fella actually lost the same amount as you.

Im not thin skinned nance, ive grew up being treated pretty bad by friends and family.
>>
>>33376911
those needs vary year to year. when a officer reaches the end of their service commitment they could do the same as a Joe, extend of gtfo.
>>
>>33376911
Near the end of your time in ROTC you'll fill out a wish list of branches and get all of your academic performance, ROTC performance (PT and land nav mostly) and reviewer ratings (Battle drills, patrolling, FTX lanes) put into an OML. If you do well enough in everything you'll likely get something from your top 5.
>>
>22
>no college
>always loved planes/flight
>smarter than all my marine buddies
How's Chair Force? Reserves or enlist? Haven't looked that far into it yet.. I wear glasses. I want to be in/ around planes.
>>
>>33379274
If you want to fly then stay the fuck away from the AF.

If you wear glasses you're basically disqualified from any fixed wing aircraft. Look into the Army as a WO flying helicopters.
>>
>>33379287
Caveat: I reread your post and if you don't care about flying then you can go into the AF as flight crew.
>>
>>33376826
What's so special about the 10th Mountain? I hear about them almost as much as I hear about Rangers but they don't seem to be anything other than your typical light infantry division.
>>
>>33379307
I heard they will fix your eyes with lasik if it's within an acceptable range, I got them when I was 17 so it's fairly recent. Flying would be the shit, but eyes aside idk if I would be cut out for it, even if it were for cargo
>>
>>33379376
That's a question for a recruiter since there's probably a bit of finicky numbers involved in that. A decade ago when I went in, LASIK still disqualified you from most stuff that required you to have 20/20.

It's probably changed since.
>>
File: 1388866578901.jpg (226KB, 666x761px) Image search: [Google]
1388866578901.jpg
226KB, 666x761px
Realistically, how different are each branches from one another in terms of quality of life, food, etc?
>>
>>33379411
Easy

Air Force > Navy > Army > Marines
>>
>>33379411
What kind of job do you want?
>>
>>33379451
Broadcasting/Public affairs.

Flying would also be pretty neat.
>>
>>33379483
If you want a desk job then this guy got it right
>>33379411
>>
>>33379491
Oops. This guy

>>33379422
>>
>>33379368

Read the wiki. Theyre an elite light infantry unit specializing in mountain warfare. They're sorta like airborne (and they're part of the XVIII airborne corps) in that they are an elite infantry unit that sometimes pulls security for Rangers and other SOF, but they do not conduct airborne operations. You could potentially get sent to airborne school by your unit once you're in 10th mtn, but you'll never be an airborne paratrooper, you'll just have the qual.

If you want to be an elite soldier and climb mountains, go 10th mtn, if you want to jump out of planes, sign an airborne contract. You might not get 82nd though, so be prepared to get stationed with the 173rd Airborne BCT in Italy or the 2nd airborne BCT, 25th ID in Alaska if you get an airborne contract.
>>
>>33380613
Can officers attempt to commission specifically into an Airborne unit, Ranger unit, Special Forces unit?
>>
26 yr old /firefag/ reporting in, firehire just fucked my hiring up big time and now i dont have a job for the summer. And now im thinking why not just go into the real deal. I like wildland because of marching, camradery and sleeping outside and working in dangerous conditions.

So, what can a high IQ autismo who needs glasses, has been in the forestry field for years, is a whiz at languages (and would love to apply this skill) to do in the armed forces?
>>
>>33378154
>>Thinks that military training "breaks men down and builds them back up."
>>
Have any of you ever heard of anyone receiving a waiver for eczema?
>>
>>33380642
Sounds like Army Human Intelligence 35M is for you
>>
>>33380642
Think about what you want to do, no one gives a shit about your high IQ ego. If you want to be out in the field then you won't ever be considered a "smart guy", you'll be a grunt. If that's what you want then go for it. It's your personal choice. If you are so smart then you can read up about MOS and decide for yourself.
>>
>>33380633

You can try, but from what I understand, you need to basically be top 10% in your OCS class and have well above 300 PFT in order to land a spot commanding infantry/armor/arty. beyond going straight in, Im not really sure how going to selection works for officers. For enlisted personel wanting to enter selection, they can come from any part of the Army, as long as they have the ASVAB/PFT scores, are eligible for TS clearance, and have no medical disqualifiers.

For officers they might want you to already be a combat arms officer of some kind, though Im not really sure
>>
>>33380663
Thanks for the tip ill look into this.

>>33380691
I didnt bring it up to brag ya dingus. Most /k/ and /pol/ fags are well above average IQ and given that are gonna have some good insight on being a boot or being a desk jockey. Im used to being a walking tool and mule, but obviously there is a lot more shit in any one branch than im used to in my end of the fed. I also have a degree, not sure if that really matters.
>>
>>33380770
>Most /k/ and /pol/ fags are well above average IQ
wew lad, i hate to break it to you but you and nearly 99% of people on here are utterly average.
>>
>>33380770
It's just tiresome to hear people saying how smart they are and how they could probably do something cool in the armed forces but they don't ever apply.

And most people think they're super smart but they're mostly not. Even if you get good results on your test that means you can qualify for some jobs and nothing else.

I got a 95 on my asvab and I'm still doing infantry, because in the end you should do what you want to do, not what makes you look smart. So intelligence is irrelevant unless it's a requirement for the MOS you want.
>>
>>33380770
> Most /k/ and /pol/ fags are well above average IQ

Yeah, the board that blames da joos for everything certainly has above average IQ...
>>
>>33380613
Is there any real difference between the 82nd, 2nd, and 173rd?
>>
>>33380770
>Most /k/ and /pol/ fags are well above average IQ
QUE
>>
>>33380859

None at all in terms of qualification, standards, etc. But the 82nd and 173rd have long histories and cool traditions and shit.
The 4th** BCT, 25th ID is really new, so they dont have the same kind of cool history, but there's definitely something to be gained from being in the brand new unit with everything to prove. Plus Alaska could be a cool deployment if you like nature

**I made a mistake before, it's the 4th BCT not 2nd
>>
File: USMC.png (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
USMC.png
17KB, 225x225px
I'm 27 years old, former NCAA D.1 track athlete, with a background in biology. Lately I've been thinking about joining the marines (my entire family is marines, so my preferred service branch) and I want to be a corpsman/medic based on my skill set. My family has worked in all job lines though, currently have an uncle in intelligence and another uncle who is a colonel in spec ops. (can't say what they do though sorry).

Am I too old? Is this a midlife crisis pipe dream? I don't have a college degree, but hope to get into OCS and get an education so I can spend my life doing something meaningful. I have a background (somewhat) in military life from going to military schools in middle school and high school, and some college under my belt (roughly junior year completed for credits).
>>
>>33381313
You make your own thread for this and still don't learn anything from it.

>muhreen
>corpsman
>officer

Pick one.
>>
>>33381313

You need to finish your degree to go OCS. You're not too old, but make sure you really want it before you get into it. Becomg an officer is a pretty damn big commitment.

You could enlist and prob go in as E3 if you dont want to go back to college yet. Your path to doing coolguy shit is way easier if you enlist by the way. It's very very competitive to get an infantry/armor/arty officer commission unless you're in the top of your OCS class and have a 300 PFT
>>
>>33381396
please no bully :( someone told me corpsman is navy, but other people told me I could go marines and be a corpsman sorry
>>
>>33381437

Navy Corpsmen are navy enlisted medical professionals who can be attached to marine units as medics. You are not guaranteed this position. You could get stuck on a boat or a hospital.
They are not Marines.

If you want to be a Marine, and you want to do high speed stuff look at Force Recon. If you're in D1 running shape, you'd probably make it.
>>
>>33381489
thanks anon, will look into it, planning to meet with a recruiter in the next week or two anyway and want an idea where to steer myself! appreciate the help my dude
>>
>>33381512

Make sure you do research beforehand and go in with a lot of questions. Read the wikipedia page about the different MOSs you're interested in. If you intend on doing force recon make sure you know a lot about it going into your meeting or the recruiter isnt gonna take you seriously.

There's a link in the OP for a website with a lot of good info about recon
>>
>>33381313
The Marines are such a small branch that they rely on the Navy for support, like a symbiotic relationship. So, if you wanted to be a Corpsman, your absolute best bet would be joining the Navy and attempting to get assigned to a Marine unit (they're known affectionately as "Devil Docs.")
>>
File: it is a mystery.jpg (27KB, 505x271px) Image search: [Google]
it is a mystery.jpg
27KB, 505x271px
Marines are routinely shat on in these threads, and I'm just wondering: what does the Corps do that makes it more unappealing than other branches?

What warrants this hate?
>>
So I want to enroll in an online SAT prep course thing, which is about $500. Will TA pay for this? Air Force, not sure if that makes a difference
>>
>>33382244

They get shit on because of the type of people the corps attracts. Regular Marine 03xx series like to think they're more elite than their 11x Army counterparts (which they are not, they're the fucking same).

Marines arent bad at their jobs, they are just regarded as braggarts. The only real difference between marine and army infantry is the dress blues. Marines have really cool dress blues
>>
>>33382244
Former Army here who has worked with and trained (as bother a trainer of them, being trained by them, and alongside in joint exercises) with Marines:

The Marines who were combat experienced and had spent some appreciable time outside the wire were fine. They were roughly equivalent to their Army counterparts with some minor quicks and differences (slightly different equipment, slightly different formations and TTPs). I learned some stuff from Marines where they made more sense than Army SOPs and vice versa.

Now, the problem Marines were the POGs and the brand new guys right out of boot. The Corps has an extremely strong indoctrination culture and these guys haven't had a chance to shake it off. This makes them EXTREMELY obnoxious. When you've got a Marine Corps supply sergeant who has never been outside the wire trying to outdo a multi-deployed outside the wire everyday soldier, or a Marine boot saying that he is "basically like Army Special Forces" shit gets on peoples' nerves.

Also, the Marine Corps moto image attracts a lot of the more annoying JROTC types who parrot all the moto to the death. Again, annoying. A JROTC kid who is walking around repeating nuggets like "Marines take ground, Army just holds it" can ruffle people.

Arguing against the Marine mototard stuff is also a kind of Kafkatrap.
>>
>>33382338
I can definitely see that. Marines do seem to have the largest espirit de corps.
>>
>>33382244

This guy has it right: >>33382360

Its the new guys and pogs that are really bad. Most marines ive met are pretty cool guys
>>
>>33376847
Get some fucking self discipline and lose the weight for yourself. Then if you want to join the Army go ahead. In the mean time hold yourself accountable for your decisions instead of hanging your fate on the fucking Army. Don't be a pussy, and get some couch to 5k or something going right now. "oh, but i need the right app, and to find a better running route, and to get a playlist." Shut the fuck up. Get off 4chan for 30 minutes and go for a walk. Then start looking for a program, and keep fucking doing that shit at least 2x a day until you find something.
>>
>>33382331
>SAT
MODS MODS MODS get rid of the 15 yr old faggot
>>
>>33382543

Learn how to read you illiterate fucking idiot
>>
>>33383245
why the fuck do you think you would be accepted much less put in a combat role? could you even make it through basic? fuck off you fucking fat ass larping neet.
>>
How much easier is Recruit Training if you're already squared away (mid-twenties, never smoked, strong willpower, physically capable).
>>
Hey so I'm basically really unfit and tiny
How can I get in shape so that I can enlist?
>>
Should I study biology/biochemistry as a reserve officer or should I enlist in the german air force as officer for 13 years and study engineering at a military university?
>>
>>33383557
Make sure you meet the weight requirements. Work out. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>33383513

Dude recruit training is already easy. It's meant to get guys who are not totally out of shape up to par with minimum standards. If you're in shape, have self discipline, self esteem, and a strong will to succeed, basic will be fucking easy.

It's the stuff that comes after that's hard. Like if you want to go to any kind of schools besides SOI and AIT.
>>
Just finished air force basic. Ill try to answer some questions about it if people have any
>>
>>33383327
the dude you responded to wasnt even >>33376847.
i am the one who posted >>33376847

Go back through the post, you obviously dont understand it.
>>
>>33384591
So you weren't the same fatanon responding to the post to defend your fat fucking self?

>>33376847
>>33382543
>>33383245
>>33383327 (you)
Sure seemed that way when you attacked realistic responses, that's why I replied to you saying "learn how to read you illiterate fucking idiot" when someone told you to get some self discipline you fat fucker.
>>
>>33380656
No will be auto dq.
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit.
>>
File: dudejustrereadpng.png (160KB, 1366x762px) Image search: [Google]
dudejustrereadpng.png
160KB, 1366x762px
>>33384610
some people dont like seeing other people act like assholes and sometimes they will defend people.
>>
>>33384616
what if you are never diagnosed? or just have dry skin?
>>
>>33384757

You just better hope you don't have a rash when you go to MEPS cause the doctor will figure it out if you do
>>
>>33384656
THIS

FUCK POGS
>>
>>33384717
I get that, but to me I was defending the other anon who told him to get in shape and not use the army as a crutch. That anon gave a valid response, and he got "learn to read you illiterate fucking idiot" as a counter, so I just interjected. The original fat anon shouldn't ask for advice if he can't swallow the answer. Sorry to but in I guess, just seemed stupid to me and assumed that was the original fat anon. Not looking for a flame war or anything, just saying.
>>
File: ncosword.png (761KB, 824x571px) Image search: [Google]
ncosword.png
761KB, 824x571px
what's the point of enlisting during peace time? Just go to community college or something.
>>
>>33384923

Most of us are in it for the pay/benefits, m8.
>>
>>33384923
Wont be peace for much longer

1000 infantry troops recently arrived in Syria then soon another 1000 after than 100,000
Its gonna be vietnam 2.0
>>
>>33384889
>the other anon who told him to get in shape and not use the army as a crutch
The thing is i never suggested that i was going to use the army as any sort of crunch. I said that i wanted to loose the weight and join the army before i turn 25. I also asked if the army would accept with loose skin like in the picture i had posted on >>33376847

if >>33382543 had actually read the post, he would have figured that shit out.
>>
What's the relationship like between LTs and their men? I would like to be a cool officer and have camaraderie with my platoon cru, but I wouldn't want to look like a jackass.
>>
>>33385006

If you try to come off as "the cool officer" and force a buddy-buddy relationship you're going to look like a bumblefuck. A new LT has literally the least relevant experience of anyone in their platoon, and is usually one of the youngest too.
>>
>>33384923

The majority of people who want to join the military are not going to just happen to turn 18 right when a big war starts. People age, you can't just wait around for world war three and then hit the reset button to be twenty again.
>>
File: 1486171886537.jpg (127KB, 674x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486171886537.jpg
127KB, 674x800px
Does anyone have experience with 1a9x1 special missions aviation?
I'm former security forces looking at going back in.
Do students have any influence on which airframe they get assigned to?
Home/deployment ratio?
Pic unrelated so you'll stop and read.
>>
File: gk13.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
gk13.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>33385006
you may want to check out generation kill.

it was an HBO special like, the pacific or band of brothers.

i hear its a pretty good representation.
>>
>>33380656
yes
havent seen the guy in awhile though so i dont know
>>
>>33385051
It's a great representation of both good and bad officers. The whole show is focused on day to day life and politics that even deployed infantry marines have to deal with.
>>
>>33385006

Listen to your NCOs. Be considerate of your men (don't be late to your own fucking meetings, etc)
Don't fucking call cadence during PT.
Don't try to be everyone's friend, but don't be a jackass either. Be a competent officer
>>
>>33385093
The real fucked up part is captain america was based on a real person.
>>
>>33385147
>>33385133
Why did the men look down on him looting shit? Seems pretty neat, I would want a souvenir too.
>>
>>33385147

>tfw almost done w/ uni and everyone who ive talked to who served, is serving, or is a recruiter has told me I'd be stupid to enlist over going officer
>yeah anon, you deal with so much less bullshit as an officer and you get paid more

All I can think of when I hear that shit is Captain America. I don't wanna play politics or push pencils, I just want to pull triggers and earn my promotions and respect based on merit, rather than based on who I know
>>
>>33385176
it wasnt that he was takeing shit with him as much as it was how he acted....and you have to be a real jackass to pick up an AK and start shooting parked civilian vehicles so you can "deny the enemy transportation". He was a huge fucking danger to everyone. He ran out and start picking up shit that could be rigged to blow and didnt tell anyone. Then he ran up on a few marines in a deserted enemy camp without identifying himself.

He was also a complete fucking spaz about it, you dont just run out onto a battlefield after a fight. Most men who want to bring shit back wait until shit has calmed down or they are about to go home.
>>
File: Petra_Amazing.jpg (158KB, 960x645px) Image search: [Google]
Petra_Amazing.jpg
158KB, 960x645px
>Made the cut for immersion to best country in the middle east that is and always was the glorious Hashemite Kingdom.
Gz pls.
>>
>>33385213

>I don't wanna play politics or push pencils, I just want to pull triggers and earn my promotions and respect based on merit, rather than based on who I know

If you think getting promoted as enlisted isn't about networking and dick-sucking, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
>>
>>33385176

Dude was firing enemy weapons, causing confusion among the unit about if they were being fired upon or not. Not to mention his focus was obviously not on the fucking war, but on collecting trinkets, which obviously sends up red flags to the guys looking to him for leadership. I mean he ran into an enemy encampment to grab a flag, not even thinking about how the marines searching the camp might think he was an enemy combatant or worrying about stepping on a boobytrap.

Guy was a fucking sperg.

There's nothing wrong with grabbing a souvenir, but the way Captain America was doing it was fucking retarded
>>
>>33385213
Literally me
>>
>>33384656
Noel?
>>
Is weight lifting for infantry preparation a waste of time? I do alot of bodyweight + cardio just wondering if i should cut the weights and replace it with more pushups
>>
File: 1329965508814.jpg (125KB, 322x400px) Image search: [Google]
1329965508814.jpg
125KB, 322x400px
How long can DIs smoke you for?

I heard there are strong regulations such as when in relation to chow, but how long is the maximum amount of time they can IT recruits?
>>
>>33385575

It's still exercise, it's still going to make you more fit.

Hour-for-hour, it's not going to help you for military fitness tests as much as training for those tests. "Military fitness" is all running and bodyweight. If you get big before you ship, you'll probably lose muscle mass in training without reliable access to weights and loss of dietary control.
>>
>>33385575
>cut the weights and replace it with more pushups
you already answered your own question.

you want to look more like Connor mcgreggor and less like joe rogan.

another anon got upset about that analogy, so i will phrase another way.

you want to be able to do as many push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and run as far as you can in one go. Thats pretty much all you do for standard PT.
>>
>>33385606
for as long as you are training, but it lets up alot after 3 weeks and just becomes less and less as you progress.
>>
>>33385679
Allow me to rephrase. How long are they actually allowed to perform IT sessions on you for? 1 hour, 30 mins, etc?
>>
>>33385693

Why don't you quit being a pussy?
You gonna quit cause some retard with a bulging neck is screaming at you too long?
>>
>>33385740
What? No. I was just curious.
>>
>>33385662
>>33385644
thanks
>>
>>33385693
it just depends on the DI and how you act, i dont think their is any real standard. Its not like it will really matter in the first place.
>>
>>33377721
We had a guy never fuck up, he only got smoked when his platoon got smoked. One day he fucked up and his platoon Sargeant made the whole company give the guy a standing ovation because it took him up until the last 3 days to finally fuck up, he was incredibly squared away for a Puerto Rican who barely spoke English
>>
>>33385606
>le 30 minutes after chow regulation
This sort of thing means jack shit if you don't have a CO who knows about it or enforces it.
We got smoked for the dumbest shit for however long and in whatever manner the DSs felt like it, whenever they felt like it. And this was at pogue basic training.
>>
>>33384656
Unless you're actually special
Marsoc/raiders are the only relevant marines.
>>
6years usaf sowt guy here
Work daily with pj and cct ask away fuck bois
>>
File: fort-carson-srt.jpg (57KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
fort-carson-srt.jpg
57KB, 600x400px
Any info on Army SRT? Was thinking of doing 31B and was wondering what kinda coolguy shit the MPs can do.
>>
>>33386299
Anything military police I'd stay away from.
You probably have to be a regular cop before, and we'll fuck that.
>>
>>33386328
I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about: the post

You don't need prior LE to be an MP, it's a Fucking entry level mos you retard.

Army even has the advantage of having dog handler be a separate entry level mos (31k)
>>
I'm going to start practicing running before I join the Army. I have a treadmill I want to use for running but I've heard running on a treadmill is way different from running on the road? But the roads where I live are not flat but are full of hills and I'm not sure if I should run on the road.

Thoughts?
>>
>>33386902
Use both, if you're going to run on your treadmill then set it on a high incline. Treadmill is great for shitty weather, though you should also get used to the impacts of the road as well.
>>
>>33386902

Run on the road. There will be hills at bootcamp friendo. you should get use to running hills now. plus, if the terrain is flatter than you expect at bct, you'll be better off for having made your exercise harder from the get go
>>
>>33386925
>>33387281
Alright, thank you.
>>
File: 1425443095230.png (52KB, 826x862px) Image search: [Google]
1425443095230.png
52KB, 826x862px
>>33384923
>Do pointless civilian job
>Work hard, get fat and lazy
>live boring pointless life

>Do same job for US military during peace time
>Work hard, get fit and disciplined
>help keep the military ready to respond when war breaks out
>have higher rank and know your shit when war breaks out
>still helped do your part in a small way if war never breaks out

Not really a hard choice if you can handle the drawbacks.
>>
Would you enlist as an officer for 13 years and get an engineering while in?
>>
>>33387916
*engineering degree
>>
Navy wants me to be a nuke. I hear completely mixed feedback about this. What do?
I understand most are the equivalent of WoW playing basement dwellers who never leave the ship when at port. Im not like that at all, but id really like to learn how to operate and maintain a nuclear reactor.
>>
What are the chances I an get a PJ contract if I'm prior-navy?

Does it matter what job or rank I was? E-6/ET; got out 2014, have college degree if it matters.
>>
Doubt i'll get an answer, but do any anon's have experience serving in the military with an accent?
I'm a Scotfag that's lived in Aus most my life but i've still got my original accent, just wondering how much hassle i'd find if in the military, hopefully as an officer (navy)
>>
Honestly, I just want to go through marine boot and earn the title just to "say I did it." Would marine reserves be a bad idea?
>>
>>33388637
I dont think youd get much shit for it in the navy, especially as an officer. Youd probably be looked at as having aome degree of 'culture' alot of other sailors dont have. You'd be alright.
>>
any aussies here? im waiting on my enlistment date for full time rifleman, ADF recruiting said 6-12 month wait so is it worth going rifleman reserves or should I just work a shit grocery store job until they call me a year from now? I heard it can be a long process transferring over to fulltime
>>
>>33388832
>I dont think youd get much shit for it
I was meaning more that cunts wouldn't understand me, which is a fair common thing in my life despite having watered down my accent as much as i can without some kind of voice training
banter doesn't bother me in the slightest tho
>>
>>33388787
Stop. Getting through boot is not a fucking accomplishment. The only people who think "graduating" a school with a 90%+ pass rate is a big deal are civilians.

It's literally built for fat retards to get through as long as they don't just give up immediately.
>>
Is Air Defense Artillery Officer a good MOS?
>>
>>33389008

It's one of the least desirable officer branches.
>>
>>33389052
Why?
Boring as fuck?
>>
>>33388052
>mixed
Bullshit.
>>
>>33389070

ADA hasn't done anything in a long time, and generally has some of the least transferable experience.

It matters less as an officer than as enlisted though, since most of your time is still going to be spent doing officer duties that aren't specific to your branch.
>>
Going in and meeting with recruiters later today.

What should I wear in? Does it really matter?
>>
>>33389338
Swastika t-shirt.

No pants.
>>
>>33389338
At the recruitment office they don't give a fuck. If you go to MEPS you should wear business casual.
>>
>>33389351
Kek

>>33389377
Alright

>>33376826
If you guys had the chance, would you go a Marine combat MOS or an Army one if only going for 4 years?
>>
>>33389377
This. just went through MEPS yesterday. Dress like you give a fuck but don't be one of those kids who wears dress pants and a vest or something like that
>>
>>33389462
You'd go to the Marine mos, why the fuck not?
The army looks like shit, they have zero fucking discipline and their uniforms look like dog shit.

...But this is coming from a 1371... Combat Engineer.
>>
>>33388787
You're a fucking retard.
Because you're gonna hate your fucking life, and even if you go reserves you're probably gonna be the ones who go to one drill then say fuck it and stop showing back up.
>>
>>33389462
Definitely Army. More money, better schools, more duty stations, and more career mobility.

In 4 years you will probably wear your dress uniform about 15 times total. If that's what you make your decision on, you're retarded enough to go Memerine anyways.
>>
>>33389498
Yeah i went to meps for my physical on Monday. They recommended khaki pants, so I had that and a short sleeved button up. Dress nice but don't overdress.
>>
>>33389784
what MEPS did you go to?
>>
How does one become Navy RDC
>>
>>33389567

>In 4 years you will probably wear your dress uniform about 15 times total.

I wore my dress uniform 2 times in 5 years.

Once during Turning Blue, and once during a uniform inspection while I was on Active
>>
>>33389906

I was under the generous impression that you'd wear it 3-4 at major training graduation ceremonies, and attend the ball every year.

I averaged about two days in dress uniform per year during my six years active duty, but a lot of that was frontloaded into the first couple years.
>>
>>33389537
>stop showing back up
Isn't that AWOL? Even if it is just drill?
>>
>>33388998
Id only be doing it to prove it to myself that I can do it. I want to challenge myself.
>>
Can a FMF Corpsman that scores highly on rifle qualifications also be a marksman. Not straight up sniper but maybe a higher caliber rifle with a medium scope, a DMR if you will.
>>
>>33390036

So do something challenging?

Passing a year of community college with good grades is literally harder than graduating boot.
>>
>>33390145
>>33390036
This no shit, trying to keep my grades up to pass and get my associates degree and go Navy. Is difficult desu.
>>
>>33390113
No. Same reason why Medics aren't machine gunners and you don't task automatic riflemen to drag/treat casualties if a rifleman is near by and they're both CLS qualified.
>>
>>33390161
So if they can provide exceptionally accurate fire they're rewarded with nothing more than a pin(?)
>>
>>33390168
Yes that's right.

If you want to be a medic/corpsman you need to worry more on TCCC and skills than having a DMR.
>>
>>33390182
Thats kind of shitty. Almost makes me want to forgo Corpsman all together.
>>
>>33390168

Being a designated marksman isn't a reward, it's a responsibility. Doc already has other more important shit to do.
>>
>>33390243
I understand. I just pride myself on my shooting ability and would hate for it to be unrecognized or utilized
>>
>>33381404
This isn't true. You go between your junior and senior year for 10 weeks or twice during college, 6 weeks each. You commission when you graduate. This is actually the easiest way to get selected for OCS.
>>
>>33376847
I knew a guy in basic whose body looked like naked zoidberg. We made fun of him but he made it through 11B training like everyone else.
>>
>>33376847
I know the feel. 6'2 and 360. Hopefully going FMF Corpsman after I get small degree. and lose the weight
>>
What's it like being undes in the navy? I'm afraid I'll fail my TS clearance
>>
I saw a chart online that says your ASVAB score can kind of point to where you might score on the SAT. Anyone with a 95+ on the ASVAB that also has a 1450+ on the SAT here?
>>
>>33390265
Then be a sniper instead of a corpsman...
>>
File: 1488104699479.jpg (136KB, 659x630px) Image search: [Google]
1488104699479.jpg
136KB, 659x630px
>>33390596
I got a 96 on the ASVAB and got 1,360 combined math and reading on the SAT.

Overall SAT was 2030 including writing.
>>
>>33390596
99 Practice ASVAB, 1960 SAT when I was in high school 2 years ago, currently Army ROTC, ask me stuff I guess
>>
>>33389859
Houston for my physical. A lot smoother than I thought.
>>
>>33391022
Military college or podunk state program?
>>
This might be an odd question, but will the recruiter ask me "Why do you want to join?" And what's a good response? Will it matter what I say?
>>
>>33391096
"I want to stack brown people bodies, take out payday loans for a mustang, and marry a stripper from the Killeen/Fort Hood area."
>>
>>33391096

Of course they'll ask you. It's the easiest question to filter out shitbags and people who arent going to be committed.

I don't know if it actually matters in the long run, but it will change how they treat you in the DEP.
>>
>>33391096
I told my recruiter that I wanted job training and work experience to go with it. Depends on what job you want in the military. A lot of people say free college and stuff like that
>>
>>33391096
to break necks and cash checks
>>
THIS PAGE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
>>
>>33391024
I went to Baltimore. And yeah it went really smooth for me too. Showed up at like 6, got done at about 11:30. Staff weren't even that rude either, I even joked around with some of them
>>
File: 1487545088241.jpg (40KB, 749x537px) Image search: [Google]
1487545088241.jpg
40KB, 749x537px
>>33376826
>be me
>join MC
>score high enough on ASVAB to get any job I want
>choose Infantry (UH contract) (also put down 0861 Forward Observer and Aircrew in case I dont get it)
>get infantry contract
>supposed to ship April 3rd
>trying to make weight for pre ship so I starve/dehydrate (for water weight) myself
>have to run the IST before weigh in
>cant do 6 pullups because im fucking weak from being starved and shit
>contract gets pulled and ship date pushed back to May
>Recruiter sticks me in fucking POG ass aircrew
Is it possible to get my contract back or even to get the 0861 contract or have I just been bent over and fucked by the green weenie already?
>>
>>33381313
>>33382127
Friendly reminder that going green side corpsman can be pretty hard as a lot of people that go corpsman try to get it. So you could get fucked and sent to some hospital instead

best bet would be to just join the Marines and avoid trying to become a doc to minimize the damage of your anal cavity
>>
File: 1488680411833.png (58KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1488680411833.png
58KB, 500x492px
>>33385147
>tfw Captain America was my favorite character
the guy who played him made me fucking die laughing every time
>>
>>33391470
>bent over and fucked by the green weenie
>not your fault that you couldn't make weight/do pullups
>>
>>33391568
well I can do the pullups but Im ~7lbs over, I'd easily make the weight by the time I go to boot if I tried. I'd rather go to fucking PCP and get fucked with by DI's all day than lose my infantry contract and be a gay ass POG
>>
>>33391659
>be a gay ass pog

you're not even a fucking boot yet shut the fuck up
>>
>>33391838
thats the problem bud
>>
>>33391181
>>33391109
These seem like the best responses lol. If you actually said something like this would they laugh or tell you to gtfo?
>>
>>33391838
im not saying pogs are gay im saying the job would be gay
>>
>>33390023
It's called going "UA"
They basically give you a other than honorable discharge which you can appeal to the court and get it changed to a honorable.
>>
>>33390113
No, a FMF corpsman cannot be a marksman, the ONLY thing a corpsman can do that is close to high speed low drag level is going to SARC.
Special recon corpsman, that's pretty much where you get to do the cool shit other than tell Marines to change their socks.
>>
File: IMG_5095.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5095.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I'm kind of really biased, I've been in the Marine Corps for going on 4 and a half years. I'm a reservist, yeah yeah, it's whatever.
The military was a good experience, I met a lot of friends along the way. And don't get me wrong, I am absolutely proud to wear this MARPAT uniform with pride. But re-enlistment, even to active duty doesn't appeal to me anymore.
I make much more money out in the civilian world, and that whole "oh, well someones gotta do it" shit doesn't work on me anymore.

You want to do something better and make a difference? BY all means go to the military, have a fun time, or a shitty time, it's different for everyone.

You'll never know if you never go I guess.

I'm open to questions too.
>>
Are those guys in the helicopters from Apocalypse Now scouts or infantry, and how do I get into a unit like that?
>>
>>33392099
Go cav scout and hope you get assigned to air assault instead of being in a Bradley
>>
>>33392140
Can't I just get air assault in my contract or is that not how it works?
>>
my arms pop when i do pull ups, but they dont hurt or anything and i can do 12 perfectly fine. is that enough to drop me at boot?
>>
>>33392571
nobody said anything to me about my arms popping/cracking at MEPS if that's along the lines of what you're wondering
>>
>>33384975
I wish but naw
>>
anybody not doing meps?
>>
>>33391045
Podunk state program my friend but supposedly we're the top school in the brigade so we have that going for us
>>
>>33392444
You generally only get your MOS or MOS field in your contract. Where you get stationed and what you'll be doing is just whatever is needed at the time you finish training.
>>
>>33393234
but i thought cav school only taught ground units, wouldnt you have to do some extra shit for air support?
>>
>>33393331
>ground units
i meant ground vehicles.
>>
>>33380647
>militaries don't mould their recruits to think/speak/behave a particular way
>part of that isn't ironing out civvy mentality

Back to the basement you go, LARPer.
>>
>>33393331

Everyone goes to basic/boot and then their job school before anything else. After that once you're actually in you can suck some dick to get a spot in an advanced school such as Air Assault, Ranger, Sniper, Airborne etc.

Keep in mind, even if you do get to go to Air Assault school and end up in the 101st you arent going to be only doing shit in helicoptors. Majority of the time you'll be patrolling on the ground and doing the same shit as all the other infantry. You just also have the capability to do air assault missioins if they come up.
>>
>>33393413
He's right though. Basic+AIT wasn't really anything special. It was physically easier than my high school wrestling practices.
>>
>>33381512
Also 27 planning to join Marines.
I posted once or twice about it in /meg/.
Let me know what you find out.
Always afraid I'ma gonna need medical/age waivers and shit.
>>
ALRIGHT FAGGOTS I HAVE A REAL FUCKING QUESTION THAT MEANS LIFE OR DEATH.....

I may or may not have eczema and i have never been diagnosed. The only person in my family who has it is my aunt.

The military wont let you in if you have eczema because if they give you the small pox vaccine you can eithe die or come out looking like deadpool on a bad day.

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE VACCINE?
>>
>>33393833
Lol. Better luck in your next life
>>
bumping.
>>
>>33393833
>I may or may not have eczema
choose one
>>
>>33395024
well i dont have that tell tale round dry skin rash bullshit. in fact i almost never get rashes(i live in the south so i did get them from bug bites) but it could very well be Keratosis Pilaris. I have dry skin and ive never bothered to moisturize, at one point a friend gave me a some lotion and i used it every couple of months. Lately my elbows have been pretty dry so i just rub shaving cream on them and it does a really good job.

Although i am getting itchy just think about this shit.
>>
What Army MOS's have the least chance of "going outside the wire"? Looking for POG jobs.
>>
>>33395235
>http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs.html

dont ask /k/ for stuff like that, just go to the website next time.
>>
>>33395235

35 series, 17 series, certain 68 series (ones that work in hospitals).

There's quite a few assingments that are not allowed to deploy for these MOSs.
>>
>>33380613
>so be prepared to get stationed with the 173rd Airborne BCT in Italy
Oh No! Not Vicenza!! Lord have mercy!
>>
>>33390202
Your job is to treat casualties, and maybe return fire when you aren't. The two are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>33390202
Be a SARC and use a SCAR in .308
>>
>>33393833

The smallpox vaccine can fuck you up. It is not worth it. Get a waiver.
I am speaking from experience.
>>
>>33395820
I hear asking for a waiver is pointless and they never get issued for eczema.

what kind of experience did you have?
>>
>>33396028
AF started issuing them.
>>
>>33386566
Listen up fuck boi
I was talking about some dude going srt, and in order to do that you have to do mp (cop) first then get srt as a special duty
Fuck being an mp standing at a gate for 14 hours
>>
File: 1386967711165.gif (389KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1386967711165.gif
389KB, 500x375px
How does the difficult of Marine OCS compare to Marine Recruit Training?
>>
>>33388427
Pretty good they always need more people
Just don't be a faggot and quit or fail
>>
>>33388998
Preach
Whenever I hear people(muhreens) bragging I laugh and say every other fat retard chick made it too
Literally bragging about the lowest form of military training
>>
>>33395363

Im not saying I would be happy in Italy or Alaska, im just saying most guys assume airborne is only 82nd and count on getting sent to that unit. Plus a lot of guys going airborne want to be Rangers, and it's more complicated to go to selection on leave if you have to fly back to Georgia first.
>>
What's a good way to unfuck my internal clock. I work late, so I've been sleeping from two or three a.m. to eleven a.m., and that shit won't fly if I pursue a career in the army or whatever the fuck.
>>
>>33396614
reception/basic will fix it
>>
>>33396614
It literally takes 24 hours to fix that. Sleep at night one time and it'll just work itself out from thereon. You'll be tired for one day at most and after that your body gets back in the groove really easily. I adjust my sleeping schedule all the time, it's really not hard.
>>
>>33396811
Yeah, that's good and all, but I don't want to go out of my way to be at a disadvantage when I go through basic.

At the time of writing this, I'm already a fat motherfucker. I'm doing the C25K thing recommended in the FAQ, and I should be in shape before that, but I don't want to fucking hobble myself any more than I already have.
>>
>>33396614
>go to sleep at 2-3am
>set alarm for 6am
>wake up at 6am
>wow you're tired by 10pm

phew, good thing we figured that out before basic.
>>
>>33396911
You will be awake for two straight days when you first get to reception. Don't worry about it
>>
>>33397520
That actually makes me worry more.
>>
>>33397533
Christ, have you never pulled an all-nighter in high school or something? Sure sleep deprivation is hell when it actually goes on for a while, but two days is nothing. Everyone else can do it so you can do it too.
>>
>>33397533
Reception blows for everyone. You don't do anything physically taxing and weaker men than you made it through fine
>>
Just got to a-school for the navy, do things ever get better
>>
>>33391470
You can do more than the minimum requirement for pullups. What am I missing here?
>>
Any tips for Marine OCS?
>>
I'm going in as a 1A331 Airborne Mission Systems Operator, does anyone know what day to day life is like for being air crew in the Air Force?
>>
>AFI 35-107
Which one of you wrote the new subsection?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170323-105402.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170323-105402.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
In IDF, starting basic tomorrow. Tips?
>>
What are the odds of getting a medical waiver in peace time Air Force for a non-progressive, non-life threatening condition?
>>
I'm at MEPS what should I do?
>>
File: 1.png (141KB, 378x390px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
141KB, 378x390px
>>33399533
if you kill some Palestinian civilians, don't steal their shekels
>>
>>33399533
Get gassed jew
>>
>>33399533
blouse those boots properly you faggot kike
>>
>>33399582
Find a female sergeant and ask her out.
>>
>>33399661
The fuck did you blouse boots for?
These things are supposed to be practical not aesthetic.
>>
>>33399809
The fuck do you blouse boots properly* for
>>
>>33398108
Yeah, after your EAOS.
>>
>>33389891
E-5 and above, and not a nuke. Then talk to a detailer after your first or second sea-duty.
>>
>>33388637
You'll just wind up with a cool nickname, like "Scotty" or something.
>>
Is there a height limit for nuke or would even someone who is 200cm tall get stuck with it if they tried to go Navy?
>>
Can anyone give me advice on combining weight lifting with military-style workouts? For example after weight lifting my arms are too tired to do long sets of push ups and vice versa.
>>
>>33400233
>>33400233
endurance/bodyweights > mass and lifts

Lift all you want and get big, but in BCT cardio and calisthenics are king. It won't matter who can bench and squat, it matters who can run and do pushups.

>Army/Marines
On top of cardio and calisthenics, do lots of extra squats and leg days because you're going to ruck. Max your endurance.

>Navy
Swim and run. Lanklets have a slight advantage here.

>Air Force
Just be ready.
>>
/meg/ should I just enlist after college?
>>
>>33393586
That you had engaged in sport previously probably mitigated the shock. Remember how sheltered and sedentary the average person truly is.

Here in the U.K., the feeling recruits first get when joining the Royal Marines is known as the 'shock of capture'.
>>
>>33400601
Do you want to?

If so, then yes.

If not, no.
>>
What happens if you fail a TS clearance for the Navy Intel rate? Can you get kicked out for that?
>>
>>33401659
yes, and you are removed quite quickly from the berthing the next day. Saw that at boot, separated IS2 here. I gotta know, is anyone else just not functioning well with being out of the service? I started college 6 months ago and I hate it here. Liberal sensitivity everywhere, foreigners everywhere, everyone else in my grade is 6 years younger than me, all the girls are afraid of the bearded/tattooed vet in the corner, teachers look to you for a gateway between themselves and the students due to your age. I just want to be alone everywhere I go.
>>
>>33401659
You could either get kicked out or reclassed. I know a guy who was in Navy EOD training and one guy in his class got busted with only 2 weeks left of training, he was reclassed to a maintenance job in the navy. If you're applying to a Top Secret job don't lie. You can maybe lie if you do a regular SECRET clearance or no clearance but with TS it's better to be honest.

What are you lying about or thinking about lying about?
>>
>>33399569
whats the condition, back in january they upated their shit and said they would waiver mild or non active eczema. its goes on a case by case basis. you would have to give us the name.
>>
>>33376826
Can you join the us military if you live in Ireland?
>>
>>33402031
You need to be a permanent resident.
>>
Well, going blue to green is going to be a much bigger pain in the ass than I expected.
>>
So if I get an 18x contract, make it through AIT and Airborne, but fail out of SFAS, then I'll be reclassed to 11b?
>>
>>33402366
You can be reclassed into anything. No guarantee you'll still be combat arms. You might end up driving the honey wagon.
>>
>>33402429
I'll be the coolest honey wagon driver with my Airborne tab though
>>
>>33384757
if youre still around my friend has eczema and he didnt have a rash when he went to meps. Then once he got to ait it flared up and he went to sick call and is getting treatment for it
>>
File: 1395735660526.gif (683KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
1395735660526.gif
683KB, 400x224px
>>33392046
What made you choose the Marines?

I'm setting my sights on that branch in particular.
>>
>>33402258
Where do you go from there?
>>
>>33402366
Why don't you get 11x op4 and drop a packet later?
>>
>>33402625
thanks for the info
>>
>>33402631
Once you get an I-551 you can enlist in the armed forces. That's what I'm doing, got my permanent resident card and I am enlisting. Once i enlist i can apply to be a citizen. So currently i arrived to the US last June, got my I-551 late november, and now I'm enlisting in april.

You can't join on a work visa, student visa or anything like that though.

The hard part is becoming a permanent resident.
>>
>>33402738
Because I'm transferring blue to green, and option 4 isn't available to prior service.
>>
>>33377091
Getting smoked is never personal.

It's physical training to ingrain a quality or piece of knowledge your instructors want you to retain. It's all very pavlovian.
Very likely, you'll get smoked for something once or twice as a group, like D&C fuckups. After that, individuals are targeted as the focus of group smoke sessions, rather than impersonal corrections.

long story short, you're gonna do some burpees, but as long as you aren't the reason for said burpees, you'll learn to enjoy them.
>>
>>33391024
>>33389784
what exactly do they do for the physical?
>>
>>33403289
It's pretty chill. I went in, had my blood pressure checked, had my hearing checked, had a lecture where i filled in a fuckton of medical documents, urin and blood test, vision test, orthopedic test where you do some mobility excercises, check weight and height, then go to the doctor where they make sure you filled out your forms correctly and check your ears, eyes, mouth, heart, lungs, dick, ass, organs.

That's it.
>>
I shoot left handed, how will that affect me in BCT/Infantry AIT?
>>
>>33402902
What's a l 551?
Where does one get one?
>>
>>33403121
So just get 11x.
That way if you SFAS at least you get infantry.
>>
>>33403414
Permanent resident card. You need to marry an american or work there for a few years.
>>
So lads, I come to a crossroads. Im already in DEP, but I see no point in doing active duty over reserves in the Corps. I am really looking at reserves at this moment for these reasons:
>a really good, intelligent friend of mine said he hates the Corps
>really want to go to school and not dedicate most of my time to fucking around in a base
>no active wars or chance of getting deployed
>for sure know I will blow my money on stupid shit and waste my time partying

I dont care much about my friend's opinions since they will try and convince me to do active. Anyone have personal experience with the reserves? I really want to go to school and serve the country as well.
>>
>>33401825
My recruiter told me not to put down that I took anxiety meds when I was younger. I don't have any mental health problems now, and I haven't for 6 years
>>
>>33380656
I didn't get a waiver but if I was still presenting symptoms on ship date I would have been sent back home
>>
If I get sued does that mean I can't join the military?
>>
>>33404954
what? no, they will let you join although They probably wont let you join til its settled and your out of court.
>>
>never had to study my entire life
>just show up to class and either sleep through it if the class is easy, or listen to the teacher and not take notes

Well, now I just started API and I'm pretty sure I cant just coast by. Plus, I don't want to. Since this is my career, I want to know all the material 100%.

The problem is, I can't focus in class. I'll try listening, and then next thing I know, I've been daydreaming and its 30 minutes later.

The only way I can 100% focus is w/ vyvanse or adderall, but since I don't have adhd, and we get drug tested randomly in Pcola, thats completely out of the question.

Any advice on how to keep focus?
>>
>>33404412
>>a really good, intelligent friend of mine said he hates the Corps

You should take this with a grain of salt. Your experience could be drastically different. You could also be going in with a different set of expectations about your time in that will color how you feel about your experience.

If you go in with an unrealistic idea of how your time in is going to go and then get stuck in a shitty unit or a shitty situation it's going to amplify your bad experience.

There are also almost always ways to improve a shitty situation by volunteering for needed skills training (I was intel, but had the opportunity to go to a few weeks class to learn how to set up and maintain satellite systems for our TOC and SCIF that I should have gone to but I was an idiot kid) or MOS related schools and classes. Or you can try to PCS, volunteer for TDY or deployments etc.

>Anyone have personal experience with the reserves? I really want to go to school and serve the country as well.

You're better off going into active duty first UNLESS you currently have a civilian career that makes good money, has benefits, and upward mobility.

If you don't have that or aren't in an amazing college program that all but guarantees a good job upon graduation, go active duty first.

Also state education benefits for guard and reserve aren't present in all states so if you want an actual meaningful education benefit (Chapter 33/Post 9/11 GI Bill) you need to go active. You can get the Chapter 33 on a sliding scale (10-100%) as NG or Reserve but it requires you to deploy (11-12 months gets you just above 50%).
>>
>>33405313
get a pin and pad and write everything down.

im not shitting you, i got ADHD and its one of the few ways i can pay attention.

I can absorb shit by just listening too it, just like you. But i drift off.

Get a pen and pad and write down every little thing. Its also the only way i can study, i cant keep my self focused just by reading a book. i have to write the shit down.

at first it will be ok but after a while you will start to hate it, and the only answer is to bare down and just keep writing.

It also helps
>ask as many question as possible
>participate in class as much as possible

The only time this becomes a problem is with teachers who have to much fluff in their lesson and you really only need every third line to get the idea.

I had a math class were a teacher would go on and on for the first hour of class about retarded shit. so i would just sleeep for an hour and wake up the last 30 minutes when she did a few problems on the board.
>>
>>33405313
>Any advice on how to keep focus?

Being in a similar situation to you (could coast through school easily) you just have to actively pay attention. You have to realize that what you're doing is both important in general and important to you (and important enough to you that you have to be good at it).

I'm out and in college now and I actively pay attention and am engaged in class which is almost a complete 180 from my experience in public school.
>>
>>33384923
you get to travel to nice places for months on end doing "training" boondoggles, and chasing the local vagina.

you get to put your hands on tech that usually only guys with PhD's and masters degree's get to see.

GI bill is worth ~200k$ if you max it out correctly

its literally one of the last good ol' boys clubs out there. you make connections that will serve you the rest of your life.

peace time POG'n is the fucking best m8.
>>
I bet you guys get this question every other day, but fuck it I'll ask anyway.

What branch has the best chance of traveling a lot? If there's a good chance I'll get to see more of the world at least a little bit, I might strongly consider enlisting. Obviously I'm not dense enough to think there'll be a route where this is 100% gonna happen, but if there's a strong chance of it happening then I might go for it.

I'm 19 and a second year Community College student, if that matters.
>>
>>33390596
2070 sat, 98 asvab. It's pretty easy honest, if you know how to take tests you'll be fine
>>
>>33406151
Navy. I traveled extensively in the Seabees. it was cool too because we would spend 6 months in a location instead of just the regular boat dweller 2 day shore liberty.

my deployments were as follows

>Guam
>Sasebo Japan
>Andros Island Bahamas
>Guam again, this time featuring a one month stint in Australia and another 2 month stint in Thailand
>Czech Republic

was homeported in a sleepy little surfer town in southern California. i fuckin' did it up man, no regrets.
>>
>>33406151
Navy
>>
>>33406209
Did you just enlist as active duty? Any way to maximize my chances of getting deployments like that?
>>
>>33406354
>Did you just enlist as active duty?
yep

>Any way to maximize my chances of getting deployments like that?

research the fuck out of your rate/mos/job classification before you pick one. some have better travel opportunities than others.

aside from that, be AMAZING at your job. Navy POG jobs are very different from the rank and file grunts. its a meritocracy for the most part, whats on your collar doesn't matter as much. if you make a name for yourself in your unit, you will find it much easier to convince a chief/JO to put you on that sweet detachment or "training" exercise.
>>
Is Rosacea disqualifying for the Army? I haven't ever been diagnosed with it, but for the past year my cheeks have been pretty red (think like a sunburn) and I'm pretty sure it's Rosacea. Will they say something about this at MEPS? What do I say?
>>
>>33403387
No big deal.
>>
Is the USAF handling eczema waivers yet?
>>
>>33407693
No you freak nobody wants you.
>>
File: CG uniform.jpg (460KB, 2784x1848px) Image search: [Google]
CG uniform.jpg
460KB, 2784x1848px
>>33376826
What is life like in the Coast Guard as an Officer? How does it compare with other branches, say, as an Army Officer for example?

Gonna drop an OCS packet for one of the branches and so far Coast Guard and Army interest me most
>>
>>33376826
Was thinking about enlisting in the army as a 35F or a 12y, nice bouns for both MOS'. what is the likely hood of me staying in the southwest of the united states. I dont have an objection of going to war but I would like to stay in the pacific northwest or four corners region
>>
>>33392046
Do intel guys generally have a non-shitty time
>>
>>33390596
82 on the ASVAB, 1600 on SAT
>>
Alright so I'm gonna start my degree soon.

I want to get to Ranger Batt, is it better to do 2 years, then my contract, then finish my degree, or do the whole degree, then enlist?

I'm 21, I'll be 25-26 by the time I enlist. I know that Rangering is a young man's game, am I being stupid by being worried about this
>>
>>33408946
Just fucking enlist dude, get your college done while in the service, you dont need a degree to be a ranger
>>
>>33408963
I just wanted to get it, because I want to go to med school after, which I need the GI Bill to pay for. It won't cover both my degree and med school, right?
>>
>>33376826
>tell parents I don't feel university is for me (only 3 weeks in btw, so pulling out now would incur no cost)
>dad starts yelling at me
>mum starts crying
>both were incredibly supportive when I applied for an officer role last year but are now angry that I want to go general entry

hahahaha fuck
[spoiler]doing it anyway but i dont want them to trash my stuff[/spoiler]
>>
>>33409775
...go for officer now that you're fresh in college. I did college and enlisted but didn't have a competitive packet because I only decided I wanted military after. You have plenty of time to build yours up and become a PT stud if you aren't already athletic
>>
>>33410065
only problem is ive started an engineering degree. its not hard and the assessment weve got so far I got full marks on, but I hate engineering with a passion. so my options are:
1) continue degree i hate, graduate with job i hate in environment i hate
2) continue degree i hate, graduate with job i hate in environment i like
3) no degree, get job i want
4) get different degree that i dont really care about and officer job i want, never get to have full proper hands on experience and waste a year doing nothing

desu option 4 is looking neato, but theyd grill me over dropping out of engineering and not really doing anything for the year since im not in reserves or anything
and then if i fail again im pretty fucked

plus rifleman looks fucking neato
>>
>>33400143
No height limit. Also you don't get "stuck" with it, you have to volunteer, but they try to talk you into volunteering for it.
>>
>>33406354
Don't be a nuke. Don't be attached to a nuclear-powered ship. Smallboats have more potential ports they can pull into. Not every country is a fan of having our nuclear ships tied to their piers. Not every pier has the facilities required to support a moored nuclear ship.
>>
>>33406811
I've had that on my back. It was never a big deal. I can't remember if it started while I was in or before. Whatever, it's just fungus.
>>
>>33410084
I dropped out of electrical engineering and am currently enlisting as 19D. My only regret is not dropping out sooner. But I don't want to be an officer, just do my contract and get out.
>>
>>33410588
What do you do once you get out though? Ausfag here, and my main worry is no qualifications after coming out or getting injured

update: parents flat out told me "no" to joining as general, but they forget that I'm old enough to do it all myself. The shitty bit though is parents not supporting me could fuck me on the psych if I have to do it again, and also all my stuff is here so if I get kicked out I'm fucked.
>>
>>33410651
Also, both parents told me they were disappointed in me for the first time, and mum said I'm going to be a lazy, uneducated loser for the rest of my life. Honestly wish I didn't do so well in school, high expectations suck man.
>>
>>33410651
Personally i want to go into law enforcement. So i figured that going into the armed forces is a good qualification, also gives you a veterans preference to get hired here in the US.
>>
>>33410651
ausfag here as well, in pretty much the same predicament as you. do you reckon transferring to ADFA might be worth a go, i've been considering it as a third option but apparently you get shit for it
>>
File: image_5.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image_5.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
I have some questions about life on base in the Air Force. I was on track to join as an officer, already lost 100lbs to meet the weight requirement, when I met my now fiance. I thought I'd find a federal job instead so I could stay with her while she finishes school. I got a job with the Bureau of Prisons and I hate it. It's an absolute cluster fuck. I talked to her about joining again and she's fine with it as long as I figure out a few things.

Are there civilian jobs on base for someone with a master's? If so, how easy is it for them to transfer? I'd hate for her degree to go to waste living on base with me.

And how are gay married couples treated? I read that she would be able to live with me on base but I'm wondering if people would give a shit.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.