[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the better way to aerial refuel? Basket or whatever the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Whats the better way to aerial refuel? Basket or whatever the pump thing is?
I feel like the basket is a nightmare to dock to with wind.
>>
>>33208030
I'm an electrician working on that plane, ask me anything
>>
>>33208030
>>>/n/
>>
>>33208070
Correct that on KC-46 still though my offer stands
>>
You just don't do it at all, build planes with bigger fuel tanks & better fuel efficiency.
>>
>>33208081
What went wrong?
>>
>>33208077
idiot.
>>
>>33208030
The USN probably *would* have gone to the (largely superior) boom system, but you can't operate large tankers from a carrier; naval tankers, whether dedicated variants of light bombers/recon planes or fighters carrying "buddy stores", have never had room for a boom system and the tail-gunner operator. So, they're stuck with the drogue-and-probe.

Now, they've been testing an autopilot the last few years that is capable of hitting the drogue by itself in some of the worst weather conditions imaginable; so, things should be getting better on that front at some point. I don't know whether/when that software will be integrated into the F-35, though.
>>
>>33208030

Boom can supply more fuel faster, but it is too big to fit on carrier based aircraft. Basket systems are also cheaper to refit on anything from buddy refueling fighter to wide-body airliner.

>I feel like the basket is a nightmare to dock to with wind.

Same applies to boom. Boom just shares the nightmare of docking between pilot of refueled aircraft and boom operator.

>>33208140
>What went wrong?

Everything. KC-X is easily the most fucked up US military procurement program of all time. Corruption, politics, more corruption, more politics and even more corruption.
>>
>>33208361
Will it work once Boeing unfucks itself?
>>
>>33208140
50k a year engineers
Walmart 1980s style board of directors
>>
>>33208030
>>I feel like the basket is a nightmare to dock to with wind.
>>Refueling at 200 MPH

How could it ever be not windy when they are moving at that speed??
>>
>>33208212
>whether dedicated variants of light bombers/recon planes or fighters carrying "buddy stores", have never had room for a boom system and the tail-gunner operator.
Well not with THAT attitude...
>>
>>33209267
>Will it work once Boeing unfucks itself?

KC-46 is exactly about Boeing unfucking itself, at cost of tax payers. They managed to get inferior plane selected over clearly superior plane in competition.

It is a lot about providing jobs in democrat controlled states and providing well paid consulting jobs for staff officers and civilian DoD administrators involved in procurement program.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.