[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prep Thread General /PrTG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 40

File: post-shtf-shopping-trip.jpg (119KB, 900x461px) Image search: [Google]
post-shtf-shopping-trip.jpg
119KB, 900x461px
Ask anything, share knowledge, get critiqued on gear etc.

>Bob's
>Bugging in/out
>Prepping for shtf
>>
File: IMG_0372.jpg (173KB, 1474x964px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0372.jpg
173KB, 1474x964px
/k/ bunker when?
>>
>>33174238
The idea of half of us all in a bunker is a somewhat terrifying prospect.
>>
>>33174314
Not as long as we have a room for the literal autists so when they ND they only kill eachother.
>>
>>33174429
I'm pretty sure that room is called "not in the bunker"
>>
File: teehee.jpg (77KB, 500x938px) Image search: [Google]
teehee.jpg
77KB, 500x938px
>>33174206
I'm in a college dorm room with a few dorito bags and lunchables, and no weapons whatsoever, little knowledge of how to fish or hunt, and I'm not particularly /fit/.

I can shoot okay, but not great. That's about it.

I'd basically be a leech on my family if the SHTF.
>>
>>33174505
How would you plan on getting to your family?
>>
File: sunset.jpg (702KB, 1228x760px) Image search: [Google]
sunset.jpg
702KB, 1228x760px
>>33174545
They're like 20 minutes away. My dad's a cop and my grandpa has a ton of experience in construction so that should be pretty useful.
>>
>>33174567
I mean if you are in the city it may be a challenge and that's reliant on the fact that they are not planning on going somewhere else.
>>
File: flame.jpg (366KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
flame.jpg
366KB, 1024x724px
>>33174599
Eh, it's not a big city. It's mostly just suburban everywhere.
>>
>>33174238
Are you thinking to save us from the apocalypse or save humanity from /k/?

Because a bunker with a lock on the outside, might be the the way to go!
>>
>>33174791
>Being stupid enough to go into bunker full of you lot.

Maybe that in itself is deserving enough to be locked in.
>>
File: loops.gif (2KB, 163x170px) Image search: [Google]
loops.gif
2KB, 163x170px
So what are some of you guys realistic prep plans. I know there are quite a few of us that aren't in a position at the moment to realistically survive but what are your plans to rectify that?

As soon as my wife finishes college we are planning on moving to a more rural area, build our own home possibly in VT. I'm going to set up my own farm and keep bees.

What would be some ideas to build into a house for example having shutters on the windows that when closed also have gun/bow loops on them allowing the ability to defend.
>>
>>33174653
where do you get your suzumi's ???
>>
>>33175286
Gonna bug-in. No way I could make a hasty retreat from the city with a wife and toddler in tow. So hunker down, recruit friends, family, and neighbors and turn our block into its own little well-defended community. Exodus en masse when possible.
>>
>>33175727
Out of curiosity do you have a destination for the "Exodus en masse"?
>>
>>33175751
Yup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvie_Island

Plenty of fertile land for crops, woods for hiding, close enough to major metropolitan areas for scavenging. Of course, this is all contingent on very specific SHTF scenarios. If we're nuked or decimated by a super-bug then it's a whole new ballgame.
>>
>>33175811
OK I'm going to be a cunt here and play devil's advocate by asking a few questions and raising some points.

>How far away is it?
>Have you done any dry runs getting there?
>Should you go there what are you going to use as shelter.
>How are you going to store food and water?
>Do you have a means of surviving there until farming is fully operational and harvestable?
>>
I live 40 miles outside of a major rust belt city. If it's nuclear war I'm proper fucked.

Anything else and I'll bug in. My neighborhood has a lot of LE and govt employees. We should be more than capable of defending our area.

We're also in a rather secluded area. So that wont hurt either. I've talked to several like minded folks and between us we have a good idea of what we'd need to do.
>>
>>33175937
Totally fair questions.

>How far away is it?
About a day's walk from my place in Portland. So factor in a small group and it's two days travel.

>Have you done any dry runs getting there?
Yup. Only by bike and car, but I know the area. Could also kayak if need be.

>Should you go there what are you going to use as shelter.
Abandoned farms. Tons of 'em out there. Also we're pretty experienced backpackers so I have tents and gear aplenty.

>How are you going to store food and water?
See above.

>Do you have a means of surviving there until farming is fully operational and harvestable?
This is the tricky part of any SHTF plan. I have a few weeks worth of supplies for about four people, but we're going to have to scavenge or trade to fill the interim until we're self-sufficient.

I'm not saying it'll be easy. I'm not even saying it'll work. But it's something.
>>
>>33176200
OK some sound logic there, now the follow up questions and pointers I can see.

>Only by car and by bike
If you can try and do some practice runs on foot and take into account older/younger/ less physically abled people that may be coming with you that may not be able to use bikes, cars or kiyaks.

>Do you have any plan on limiting your visibility?
Only asking because there may be some people out there with less than pure intentions. Being able to hide yourself may be a useful factor especially considering you aren't a massive distance from a dense populous.

>What are you going to do regarding tools and seeds to start the farm?
Again this one kinda cycles back to the idea if you can't get your car out.
>>
File: 5botequines.jpg (2MB, 1168x3437px) Image search: [Google]
5botequines.jpg
2MB, 1168x3437px
Any eurofags-preppers?

I have 150L of water, 100 cans, ramen, machete, hunting license (30.06 most popular in spain), pretty cool aid kit, books, papers and HDD with info. I have a little cabin in the Pyrenees next to a river.

Friends have been mocking for years. months ago they started asking where i plan to escape, if they can join if SHTF.

And to the question guy: yes, i have to drive 5 hours, 400Km, probably 12 days walking. With people, make it 20-25. It's not possible. So... I'm planning 1 or 2 refreshment points.

I march with my backpack (black multicam, megafaggot) twice a month.

Any advice? should i fall for the solar panels meme? I have a small raspberry pi with 3.5" screen for the hdd.

Also, opinions on "The Knowledge: How To Rebuild Our World After An Apocalypse" by Lewis Dartnell. I'm looking for interesting books.
>>
>>33177015
So wait 20-25 people could be walking with you?
>>
>>33175286
Build with insulated concrete forms, painted tin roof. Conventional 2x4 construction lacks ballistic or fire protection. Jeff Cooper wrote an article, notes on tactical architecture that should give you more ideas.
>>
>>33177250
Ah now here's the kicker, my wife adores Victorians and so that's what we will likely be building. I am hoping to put a wall around my property to add defence but working withing the confines of a Victorian home what can I feasibly do?
>>
>>33177215
No, 20-25 days marching with people, like old people, kids, etc. Maybe more than 30 days, logistics are impossible.
It's the car or nothing. Fuck EMP, gonna buy an old Lada Niva.
>>
>>33178388
Jesus Christ that is a long march
>>
>>33177015
What's so special about this place 400km away?
>>
>>33175811
It's a horrible place. I was fishing for sturgeon there once, a yellow jacket crawled into my beer unbeknownst to me. Little bastard got me six times on the tip of my tongue.

I'll never get over Sauvie Island.
>>
File: beer.jpg (322KB, 652x922px) Image search: [Google]
beer.jpg
322KB, 652x922px
>>33175463
Danbooru, Pixiv, Pinterest, and Instragram. And, unfortunately, if you want the full set you'll have to travel back and forth between the 4. Pixiv and Danbooru have the most though.
>>
>>33175811

Because the people who live on that island will let some random mongaloid and his prepper friends set up after shtf?

They'll be protecting their shit as much as possible and aiming to stop looters and randomers reaching their shit. Especially if there's metropolitan areas nearby since that tends to mean criminal minorities and useless people.
>>
>>33177381
Build victorian style but with concrete/steel reinforcements. Also steel shutters with the time proven murder holes are a wonderful idea.
>>
File: 3701538_orig.jpg (190KB, 952x485px) Image search: [Google]
3701538_orig.jpg
190KB, 952x485px
get your pilots license and island hop the Caribbean :)
>>
>>33181838

>island hop the areas that are entirely reliant on export and tourism

Fuck that. At least if you set up on a shitty island in the middle of a lake then you'd not have to deal with Haiti level bullshit. There's a reason the caribbean is a literal shithole outside of tourist areas/private islands.
>>
Tfw can drive 1 hour west from the city an be in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>33182152
Yeah but you'd still only be one hour west of a city
>>
>>33174206
>tfw you wish shtf would be like this

>reality is wont and youll prob die

sadsenpai.jpg
>>
>>33178899
400Km, 250 miles.

I can make 30Km-20 miles/day, alone. With people... You know, it's a mess. But it's my people.

>>33179702
Clean water, isolation, between massive natural reserves, a lot of animals. Far away from nuclear power plants, big or capital cities, close to +2000m mountains. Next to hidroelectric plants, good soil, border Spain-France. I own land. Euro /k/ and /pol/ are welcome.
>>
>>33183609
Do you have anything set up there? You said you own land so you could build shit if you wanted.
>>
>>33174206
Any opinions on what to do when you have small children? I have three, ages 6,5, and 6 months.
>>
>>33181780
Then you strike up a deal. A small, well armed group adds to their numbers. Makes them harder to fuck with. You're going to need a community of people to survive.
>>
>>33183660
Just be a good parent. Not much changes, besides the fact that youll basically be forced to either bug in or go to a FEMA shelter.

Do what is best for the kids, even if it isnt good for you.
>>
>>33182342
>>33182342
>you'd still only be one hour west of a city
what did he mean by this

>>33181921
exactly
Like, I played Dead Island, fuck that shit

>>33177015
let me commend you for being in probably the upper 90% of most europreppers, upper 80% in general. You could always have more guns/ammo or gear, but it sounds like you've definitely put some thought into your plan (dat infograph filled pi)

gonna come back to your post because it's chockfull of info, but right off the bat I'd say be mindful of how wasteful transporting cans is (maybe you eat them while bugged in, or distribute them across your group when migrating).

Don't let those 'friends' persuade you. If you can't find 2-4 in the group that you'd trust with your life, don't bother. Even if you find a couple, in a group of 10+ that's a lot of potential backstabbers (literally).
>>
>>33183690
What I meant by that is one hour west of a city is still fairly close. While yes it's better than being in the city, one hour is still within a few days walk and if a large populous is displaced from a city that distance could be covered fairly quickly.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYYU5u3W1o

Great video I found of former CIA director explaining trheats of EMPs and CMEs

Very informing, and helps you become aware. Which is why I bet all you faggots will talk shit about it.
>>
File: o20.jpg (158KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
o20.jpg
158KB, 1024x682px
>>33184158
>talk shit about it.
Hell no. Even the most normcore faggot has to accept there is NOTHING that can be done about CMEs and the ensuing chaos. Not that I bother with the uninitiated types much, but if I ever needed a virtually irrefutable justification to prep, it's for CMEs.
>>
>>33174206
>shtf
more like LARP
>>
>>33174238
Is that the underground complex made of schoolbuses by that suspicious old guy who only plans on letting children into it during the apocalypse?
>>
>>33184158
>Not prepping for an EMP
Bitch that's literally the main thing most people on here are worried about.
>>
File: GMbGX4D.jpg (23KB, 403x362px) Image search: [Google]
GMbGX4D.jpg
23KB, 403x362px
>>33184339
Thanks for your input there buddy.
>>
>>33184339
Why are you even in this thread? We don't go to /mlp/ and shit up your threads when you talk about your hobby, why do you feel compelled to do that to us?
>>
>>33184362
Really? I think natural disasters would be waaaaay more likely.
>>
My plan is to die immediately
Not long ago this autism was pushed off the board. What a decline.
>>
>>33185075
Well yes a natural disasters is way more likely, but as far as full scale SHTF goes they will be fixed withing a month or two maybe. Plus with natural disasters (outside of an asteroid impact) most government capabilities will still be running.

An EMP especially one from a solar even would cripple most of the planet in little to no time at all.
>>
>>33185096
Shit why not an hero now you oxygen thief.
>>
File: Yellowstone Eruption.png (322KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Yellowstone Eruption.png
322KB, 960x720px
>>33185075
How would you even prep for something like Yellowstone erupting?
>>
>>33185109
>Not live in the red parts

In all honestly if it erupts the inner red circles will see massive fatality rates. The rest of the country will be fine, they will just have to deal with the massive displacement of people from the affected areas.
>>
>>33174238
Nice future sinkhole!
>>
>>33174505
Since you are a slug, learn some techy skills that prepare you for real life with an SHTF bonus.

Auto mechanics is highly useful for both. In the worst real life SHTF the skills are very, very useful because they make you competent in far more than vehicle repair.
>>
>>33185123
>rest of the country will be fine

We'd lose at least a third of the crops in the country under a blanket of ash. We'd be devastated economically.
>>
>>33185205
True but once the ash settles then repopulation can begin but now with beautiful volcanic ash nourished ground.

Total shtf issue I'd say maybe 1-2 years until back to full capacity
>>
>>33175727
>No way I could make a hasty retreat from the city with a wife and toddler in tow.

You don't know that. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. Study your local terrain for say a 75 mile radius to begin with.

Guess what cities have that doesn't get clogged with refugees and connects to much better locations?

Railroads. Many vehicles can drive on roadbed or straddle rails, though you need to get off quickly if trains are still running.

Topo and current road maps are ways to avoid overwhelmed routes.

IRL disasters tend to have warnings precede them. Planning only for bolt from the blue disasters hampers planning for much more realistic disaster scenarios.
>>
>>33183660
They'll most likely be grown before anything happens unless you live in tornado alley, a bad flood zone, in the flood zone of a dam failure, in a storm surge zone (see a pattern here?) etc.

Logic suggests preparing for a month of no food or water. Food should be eaten only when hungry so longevity in storage trumps flavor. Sanitation supplies matter, including CLOTH diapers for backup (or to save shitload of money, my parents never used disposables and well well off. They were well off because they were efficient!)

You can stock the fuck out of the pantry you should already have to facilitate bulk food buys.
>>
>>33185109
>How would you even prep for something like Yellowstone erupting?

See the red zones? Live far away from them or have a BOL far away from them.

Odds are trivial though. Prep should begin with LIKELY events then extend to less likely events. Logic, use it.
>>
>>33185252
Out of curiosity where is a good place to get high quality topo maps in the USA?

When I lived in the UK we had ordinance survey maps which came in either 1:25000 or 1:50000. Since moving to the USA I can't seem to find any equivalent over here.
>>
Ever need something that lights up fast and easy?
Raid dryers and take the lint. I've started countless fires with nothing more than flint and lint.
>>
>>33187829
Or, ya know, just cotton wool.
>>
>>33185109
>Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama completely unaffected
Feels good.
>>
>>33187971
Woo southern states ftw.
>>
File: U_of_Leeds_-_Terraces.jpg (322KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
U_of_Leeds_-_Terraces.jpg
322KB, 1024x768px
>>33177381
After Googling Victorians, I'd say face the CIF with brick. Slate would be rife proof but not real ballistic resistant. But you could replace damaged slates or clay tiles by yourself after a fight. I see small out postings that would make good OPs and firing positions if you build a sandbag bunker and had good fields of fire/observation. You could do a wall, and have blackberrys or other thorny plants grow on it. But it cuts your observation fields.
>>
File: rakennettu alue tuliasema.png (209KB, 1149x721px) Image search: [Google]
rakennettu alue tuliasema.png
209KB, 1149x721px
>>33177015
>opinions on "The Knowledge: How To Rebuild Our World After An Apocalypse" by Lewis Dartnell. I'm looking for interesting books.

I liked it. It succeeds in being a simple rough sketch of how some major human scientific advancements were done. It's not an explicit how to book though. But the author himself realizes that'd be thousands of pages to do that,

One book I really recommend is Improvised Medicine Providing Care in Extreme Environments by Kenneth V Iserson. It's like a medical MacGyver manual. Lessons from disasters, POW/Refugee camps, battlefields, and the 3rd world and places far from civilization on how to give medical care when 'transport to a hospital' simply isn't an option.

The Ultimate Sniper An advanced training manual for military and police marksmen by John Plaster. You mention having a 30-06, this book will give you ideas on how to use that to hold your place or get out instead of being overrun.

H. John Poole's works. Aimed at military personal, he's got a lot of info on how America's foes of years past have managed to carry on a fight without heavy weapons, airpower, etc. Good ideas on fortifications, camouflage, deception, etc. Not exactly an explicit how-to book, but it's detailed and has a bibliography so you can go to the source materials for more info. One idea was how the VC held Hue during the Tet Offensive and how many buildings were held by a sniper like pic related, and how they'd fire from multiple locations and fall back when pressed. Now, if you had 10 or 20 friends with rifles who are decent shots, how badly could you bloody an attacker if the shooters reverse leap frogged under cover from other shooters?
>>
>>33188208
Ahhh see, as I am originally from the UK that's what I thought a Victorian home was. However over here in the USA it's an entirely different thing.

Pic related is an American Victorian home (I know I don't understand it)

I can see a benefit of having a lot of windows means potentially lots of vantage points.
>>
>>33185109

>Live in south florida

I dont
>>
>>33185109
The same way you would avoid most dangerous situations.
Do not be where bad things happen.
You wouldn't walk around the hood at 2am and expect not to be robbed, would you?
>>
This general's OP needs a set of links to prepping websites, with possibly a 4mb pic of prepping basics.

We need to have something that people can just download with a single click and get on with their basic prepping or else this is no general at all.

As i'm a noob to prepping, I request the veterans to please prepare the links and the pic, or 2.
thanks!

Let's Make Prepping Great Again!
>>
>>33183624
Yes, im selling the cabin (more like a big stone barn, people pays a lot of money for them and builds fancy houses). With the money i will build a house with "special features" in a more isolated property i have.

>>33183690
Thanks mate! i have an endless list and when i gather money and time, i try to cross a few ones. About the cans, are being replaced to ramen bc weight. About friends: 3, cherry picked but then...
>muh mom and dad, muh gf, muh brother, the kids...
Ok, but nobody else. Also it's a nice group: mechanic, paramedic, cops, a chemist...
That Pi it's my crown jewel, sleeps in a faraday cage.

>>33188433
Just what i was looking for! I'm into strategy, military, history, etc. Thanks, i really apreciate it. Any reliable torrent about the dokument?
>>
>>33189579
https://mega.nz/#F!rcVFlaIC!zhrCWGYn84ghOCNZyRkNcQ

Now Git
>>
File: tfw small plot of land.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tfw small plot of land.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>33174206
who here /gardner/ ?

I've just finished plowing out the plots and the potatoes im sprout are almost ready to go in the ground. whereas my other seeds are in starter cartons right now.

Currently planting:

Three Sisters
- Sweet yellow Corn
- Spaghetti squash
- butternut squash
- zucchini
- pinto beans
- black beans

Red, Russet, and Sweet Potatoes
Eggplant
Jalepeno and Serano peppers
Tomato
Cantaloupe for cultivating penicillin and refining into anti-biotics
My leafy greans are Kale, Swiss Chard, and Spinach
Marigolds to keep aphids away
white Onions and Garlic

Herbs
-Parsley
-oregano
-basil
-sweetmint
-thyme
-tarragon
-rosemary

I have a juvenile Meyer Lemon and and Avacado that both bear fruit

What else should i be planting? Post your prepper gardens
>>
Can Borscht be canned?

in glass mason jars?
>>
>>33189997
How did you get into gardening? Were you taught, did you read books? Any suggestions
>>
>>33189910
No info about the do/k/ument, but a few other books you might like include Fur Food and Survival by Emil R. Johnson. Lots of different animal traps and some big game ones that'll work just as well on humans, including a trap using a shotgun shell, a length of pipe and a mousetrap.

The Black Book of Boobytraps by Lyle Whitney. Covers traps to use against people.

Into the Primitive by Dale Martin. Also deals with animal traps, but has sections on improvising camp furniture, and some mantraps.

The Makeshift Workshop Skills series by James Ballou. How to fix stuff with other stuff that you might not have thought of before.

Ambush! A professionals guide to preparing and preventing ambushes by Potter/stubblefield/Monday. Examines various ambush scenarios and how to lay them or avoid getting caught in them, like post-SHTF traveling.

Tracking a blueprint for learning how by Kearny. How to track people. And if you can do that, you've developed your awareness skills to help detect ambushes.

Tactical tracking Operations the essential guide for military and police trackers by david Scott-Donelan. Ex-Rhodiesian soldier and mantracker. Covers the above topic from the idea that the people you're tracking aren't going to be pleasant when you catch them.

How to live off the land in the city and country by Ragnar Benson. Neat section on the medical and food supplies he's cached, along with a segment on gardening and bee keeping, among others.

I've got a pretty impressive library on /k/ topics.
>>
>>33190047

Well i live in the valley in california so gardening and Agriculture are a huge part of life here, most of my friends and relative's families have gardens or farms and i've learned alot from visiting and seeing what they do. My neighbor used to be a real good gardner that my family was friends with, see even brought our dead-for-five-years rose bush back to full bloom.

I've also supplemented my knowledge by watching videos online and reading about it, but IMO looking up videos and mimicking how they plant works best. It's sometimes hard work for one person though.

If you want to start, first you need to have enough land, decide whether you can plant alot or just the nessecities.

If your land is hard and full of clay, but a rotortiller and tear that shit up lots, this will also make it easier in SHTF to use tradition hoe to break the dirt when you don't have power for the rotortiler.

Decide what crops you want to plant, however, the 4 most essential crops you will want to always have are Corn, Beans, Squash, and potatoes. Combined they have enough protein, calories, and nutrients to sustain you. If you only have a little land, invest your dirt in them. If you have more land, try getting some leafy greens and herbs with bulb veggies like onions, these are more for comfort and tast. Also try to plant Nuts and berries or some trees. Nuts and avacado trees will provide you with fat, which you need to survive, look up "rabbit starvation". Berries are good and attract bees to help pollinate.

If you can and its legal in your area, build a chicken coop and fence in some chickens. They will provide you with eggs, which IMO is better than eating their meat. Or, you can create a pool to hold tilapia, which is a good protein and omega 3 source, but these fish do better in warmer climates, they'd die in colder areas
>>
>>33174206
What are some foods that will store for a long time or indefinitely other than rice and beans?
>>
File: IMG_5143.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5143.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>33189997
/k/: The Post
>>
>>33190693
rice and.......
rice.....

be.....

...no. IDK
>>
>>33189910
>About the cans, are being replaced to ramen bc weight

Keep the cans for now. Ramen has all of the nutritional qualities of cardboard. As resources allow, start building up a stock of freeze dried/dehydrated foods.

Here's some potential suppliers-

http://wessonresearch.org/?gclid=CM-zmvOdvNICFdRyfgod7b0POg
>>
>>33190693
Honey
>>
>>33190693
honey
>>
>>33190693
fish canned in brine, like anchovies
>>
>>33190693
>>33191447
practically any meat packaged/prepared in lots of salt, now that i think about it
>>
>>33191349
hardtack, as long as its kept very dry
>>
>>33191469
meant for this anon >>33190693
>>
>>33191479
u're a faigette
>>
File: goodbag.jpg (1MB, 3342x2072px) Image search: [Google]
goodbag.jpg
1MB, 3342x2072px
>>33190418
my condolences /k/omrade. Recently had surgery and won't be able to shoot for a couple more weeks at least. And hopefully backpack straps/chest rigs aren't too uncomfortable once I'm healed...

I'm looking at SHTF from these perspectives:
>Supplies (Rations, Resources, ammo in and of itself)
>Capabilities (weapons/tactics, vehicles/transportation, personal skills/attributes)
>Community (location, population, and tribe - those you actually trust if SHTF)

My supplies are probably 3/5. Quite a bit of food and some water, plus long lasting rations and filtration methods. Solid medical, though light on prescription drugs. Almost 1k rounds of 5.56 and 500+ of 9x19, amongst others, plus reloading supplies.

Arsenal is enough for me plus 2 others at least. No telling how much I'll be able to transport, but I do have a reliable 4x4 pickup. Experienced backpacker and pretty skilled marksman, but recent surgery is holding me back physically. 2/5 now, probably 4/5 once I'm more healed.

Location is shit - urban with dense minority populations within a few miles. Local PD may or may not be of help (not counting on it). Tribe is small this point; currently live with a battlebro who's well armed and trained himself. But it's just us two, maybe a worthy local. Without some warning we'd be unable to rendezvous with our medical contact or mechanic, though they exist. optimistic 3/5 imo

pic is a very outdated BOB packlist from when I attended college in NYC (not currently thank fuck). Much has been added, and some items swapped, but the pack and 80% of its contents remain unchanged. Just one slice of my survivalist pie...
>>
>>33192770
Want feedback on this post, but from the LARPing for the SHTF scenario
>>
>>33191865
I love those winding things for paracord. Much better than winding into a bunch or some stupid knot.
>>
>>33184341
School buses have become a cheap way of making bunkers. Built heavy, easy to find, easy to connect.
>>
>>33191865
Are you the guy that broke your collar bone on the snow board?
>>
>>33177015
>400km
>12 days walking. With people, make it 20-25. It's not possible. So... I'm planning 1 or 2 refreshment points.

>refreshment points

el negro you're going to need more than some gatorade and cookies
>>
>>33175811
>>33175727
So you're an idiot?

Q: How far away is it?
>About a day's walk from my place in Portland. So factor in a small group and it's two days travel.

If it's a days walk from you in suburbia, its a days walk from everybody in suburbia, and even more useless hippies from Portland, which is exactly what will happen

Q: Have you done any dry runs getting there?
>yup. Only by bike and car, but I know the area. Could also kayak if need be.

So you havent actually walked there and you're spitballing a timeframe. Ok. As far as biking there, do you have a carrier for your baby? Do you have panniers to carry supplies on bikes? Have you ridden a loaded down bike? You gonna take your wife and newborn on a kayak in SHTF? Other than providing no cover on the water, what happens in winter? Have you and your wife had any experience with gear laden kayaks? how about gear laden kayaks on rough water?

Q: Should you go there what are you going to use as shelter.
>Abandoned farms. Tons of 'em out there. Also we're pretty experienced backpackers so I have tents and gear a plenty.

So basically you have plenty of gear that you have no idea how you're going to get to your as yet to be determined destination?

Q: How are you going to store food and water?
>See above.

you didnt answer anything above.

Q: Do you have a means of surviving there until farming is fully operational and harvestable?
>This is the tricky part of any SHTF plan. I have a few weeks worth of supplies for about four people, but we're going to have to scavenge or trade to fill the interim until we're self-sufficient.

Jesus H Christ. So you plan on leaving your own place, to go a few dozen miles away, to someone elses place (that may or may not exist), without adequet supplies, or a way to get them there, and with an infant and wife and strangers?

>I'm not saying it'll be easy. I'm not even saying it'll work. But it's something.

No. It's not something, it's nothing. You have no plan.
>>
>>33191356
>>33191373
Doesn't it have to be packaged in glass?
>>33191447
>>33191456
Won't pretty much all canned meats last about 3 years, because of the metal tins they're stored in?
>>33191469
Can I just buy properly packaged hardtack?
>>33191794
What makes him more of a faggot than any of us?
>>
>>33192873
unfortunately yes. first bone I've ever broken

>>33192833
definitely handy, but I only have one. More than enough paracord to go round though. Been meaning to grab a roll of bankline, but if I searched my house long enough I'm sure I could find some
>>
>cntrl + F
>fitness : nothing
>ruck : nothing
>training : 1 result

How can this be a prep thread when no one is talking about preparing their own body? How many people here can actually ruck 12+ miles with their gear at a decent pace?
>>
>>33193284
I keep two winder things with 15m/50ft in my pack. One is high vis orange, and one is tan.
You can probably get them on ebay for like $1

>>33193316
I find if you're halfway fit, rucking isn't a skill you necessarily need to practice. If you do basic strength training and cardio, the carry-over from each will give you decent rucking skills, without the ball-busting, joint destroying effort of rucking.
>inb4 the mental development of rucking IS training
If my life depends on it in SHTF, that is not an issue
>>
>>33193343
Confirmed for never having rucked or done ANYTHING in the field. The first thing you'll find when doing any serious movement in the field is that if you don't have experience your feet WILL fail you. It has nothing to do with cardio or upper body strength, your FEET will be destroyed, and you will lay down and die before you continue. It's something you can see if you do any combat arms training. It's why we do it in training, to see who will be capable of making shit happen down range.
>>
>>33193284
How did the surgery go? You get a bunch of screws?
This is constructionbro who was talking with ya last time about when I broke mine.
>>
>>33193358
>Confirmed for never having rucked or done ANYTHING in the field.
Wrong and beside the point.
Also as a civilian you're not going to be doing the same shit military would (i.e. 100km in 5 days with 40kg gear).
Also GLHF even the most experienced soldiers de-glove their feet in bad conditions. You can't train that.
>>
>>33177015
>ramen

Get something more sustaining than that shit. It has its uses, but you can vacuum pack other foods in bulk. Ramen packs are mostly air. The food need not be tasty because that encourages eating out of boredom and IRL SHTF like war, is mostly boredom.

Bicycles are great for carrying loads and you can ride almost anywhere you can walk. The gooks brought thousands of tons of military supplies down the Ho Chi Minh trail on bikes, which they loaded then pushed.
>>
>>33193406
Before I went to selection I would walk a half mile every day around the block barefoot with a 60lb ruck. Did this for about 6 months in addition my regular unit PT, never once had a blister even on the 36 mile ruck.
>>
>>33193424
That's actually good info.
Do you mean the skin on your feet or the muscle, or both?
>>
>>33187124
https://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/
>>
>>33193428
Both, but mostly the skin. I got calluses like crazy but its better to get them on your own time than when you can't afford it. start with a reasonable weight ~45, work your way up if you haven't rucked before. And start just walking around your cul-de-sac a few times. Then walk to the end of the block and back, then around the street. Never exceed .5 miles, and don't do it on hot pavement in the summer. The goal isn't to ruin your feet, but train them smart over time so they're ready when the time comes that you depend on them to keep going.
>>
>>33189910
You can add steel plate liners at strategic points of your structural walls. They aren't light but the common way to handle plate is to weld handles and lifting dogs to it to make it easier to move, then snip those off after installation. They can of course be integrated with reinforcement before pouring an ICF or standard poured concrete structure.

Ducking below a window does little good if rifle fire can penetrate your wall. You can order plates pre-cut or do it onsite with a cutting torch easily enough. I suggest having a large oxy-acetylene outfit as part of serious prepping. They are wonderfully versatile and eventually acetylene production would resume (it's simple) because that's an efficient way to cut, form and weld metal without site power. The pre-electric world used acetylene lighting for good reason though I don't recommend that.

Large oxygen and acetylene cylinders last a long time, and welding oxygen is a fine replacement for medical oxygen as they are produced by the same process.

You can run oxygen concentrators off a small generator sufficient to run small torches, and oxy-propane works well for brazing.

Too many preppers concentrate on the fun stuff like war but forget logistics, repair and sustainment.
>>
>>33190268
Backyard chicken owner of many years. My 12 birds include some too old to lay, but they eat bugs and are semi-free range so I don't mind. In SHTF they'd be culled and eaten.

12 birds produce from three to six eggs/day in my case and some get laid in bushes etc because I only coop my birds at night. In SHTF they'd be cooped more often. I could survive on that output easily.

Chickens are highly efficent recyclers. In SHTF I wouldn't hesitate to hack bits off enemy dead to feed them.
>>
>>33191373
Honey can also be used to prevent wound infection. Good stuff.

Peanut butter keeps well too.
>>
>>33192854
School buses are shit and won't last long in any but dry climates. The morbid fascination with bunkering is a waste of effort. If you are near a nuke target, fucking move out of blast range and build a fallout shelter because close to blast means high rad doses.

If you just like bunkers fucking copy MILITARY designs. There's no reason not to and plenty of information on blast-tested designs for fallout shelters and bunkers. Remember atmospheric testing? That was not a joke.

The hobbyfag resentment of military bunkers as if they didn't exist is foolish. Copy aircraft HAS, use a tank car hull or metal culvert for a spall liner, and have at it.
>>
>>33193316
I can ruck that far but that would be silly since my motorcycles will run just fine even after EMP or solar flare. Why? They are older Harleys which run reliably with points ignitions. If I need to bug out I'll ride railroad beds instead of highways and take my time. My older Ford and Chevy trucks have simple electronic ignitions unlikely to get EMPed and I have points distributors along with spare alternators etc. I didn't do that for prepping, but because it's efficient to keep spares.

Adventureriderfags have ideal bikes for SHTF. Riding across country in the 1930s was done with much more primitive rigs. Even a cruiser would work since they can carry two people plus gear without the bloat of a touring rig.

You can carry much more gear on two wheels or three. Over on /o/ there's a Uralposter who enjoys his sidehack in the dead of winter. Urals are famously effective off-road as are older BMW airheads.

Having vehicles and a fuel stash (rotate your stock to keep it fresh) is basic prepping. There's no excuse for helplessness. Learn to work on vehicles. Learn /diy/.

If your hobbies don't make you a more capable person, drop them for those which do then enjoy the money you save over a lifetime.
>>
>>33193406
>Also as a civilian you're not going to be doing the same shit military would (i.e. 100km in 5 days with 40kg gear).

Depends on what happens afterwards. See real world SHTF like Syraqistan.
>>
>>33193424
That's genius! Repost that in enlistment general threads.
>>
>>33193620
>peanut butter keeps well.

NATURAL peanut butter keeps ok so long as you keep it mixed. anything with oil is probe to rancidity though.

shit like jif goes bad in a year or 2

>>33190693
anything pickeled or prepped specifically for long term storage. Dont just store preserved foods though, store the means of preserving food as well.

These are staples that every long term pantry should start with:
dried meats
canned (jarred) vegetables
hardtack
honey
dried beans
rice
flour
sugar
salt
molasses
powdered milk
coffee
>>
>>33177015
Get a couple Sawyer mini filters for your water. Having water on hand is good, but the filters make it possible to have access to much more potable water. Keep one in your kit, and put one out in your re-supply cache.
Get some freeze-dried "backpacker's" meals (like Mountain House or Emergency Essentials). Again, some in your kit, and some in your cache. I'd also hide some at your cabin, along with some rice, beans, and vegetable oil.
I'd also recommend having a knife, hatchet, tarp, emergency bivvy, a 1st aid kit, a lighter, a flint & steel, and a bottle of oil soaked cotton balls in your cache. You don't know what your condition (or the condition of your friends) will be when you get there. People who expect to sponge off their "prepper" friends can't be expected to show up with anything useful.
>>
File: 20150222_120832-1.jpg (2MB, 1919x2007px) Image search: [Google]
20150222_120832-1.jpg
2MB, 1919x2007px
>>33184307
>>33184362
EMPs and CMEs scare the crap out of me. I live in a part of the U.S. that can expect a 80-90% die off in the 18 months after.
Faraday cages are easy to build and ground, but they serve a good secondary purpose. They keep all your emergency electronics in one spot. They won't migrate to other places from everyday living. Your solar- powered radio won't get forgotten at the beach by your wife. Your 2 way radios won't disappear because your kids took them hiking.
Just remember the "popcorn effect". Don't open that container for 2 weeks after the event.
>>
>>33194058
both that report and the book are great works of fiction.

also

>80-90% die off

wew lad. You took the worst case scenario, which isnt even supported in the report, the purpose of which was meant to scare congree into SPENDING MONEY on infrastructure, and you're reposting it like its gospel.

stop being a pawn in someone elses game and learn some critical thinking, then go back and reassess the book and report.

then maybe plan for things that are likely to happen, like a tornado or hurricaine, or communist revolt.
>>
>>33193370
Constructionbro! I did! Titanium plate they said, happened a couple weeks ago. I'm outta the sling and started PT last week. How are you? Any recent sailboarding?
>>
>>33194151
NASA predicts that within the next 10 years we will be hit by a massive solar event. We saw what happened with the Carrington event and that was a SMALL flare.

Only a couple of years ago we had a near miss (avoiding a flare by mere weeks)

Underestimating a solar event or EMP is a bad idea. Because we will have little to no warning of it until it hits.

80-90% lethality is well within the realms of possibility when you look at how dependant most of the population is on technology or shipments.
>>
>>33194334
>NASA predicts that within the next 10 years we will be hit by a massive solar event.
>NASA

yeah, NASA predicts that there will be a flare up in sunspots in the next 10 years.

Because you know, the sun is on an 11 year cycle.

That literally everybody knows about.

Which also isnt a gaurantee that earth will be hit by it. Just that there will be one.

The sun is REALLY REALLY big and a flare or CME can happen anywhere on its surface, most of which isnt directed towards earth.

Stop allowing yoursef to be suckered into hand wringing stomach churning fear by survivalblog or Alex Jones and educate yourself.
>>
>>33194412
I have educated myself, the fact is that the sun (due to the gravitational pull of that planets around it) generally ejects it's flares around its equator in line with planets. While yes some larger one blast out higher up and they tend to be large due to the higher power needed to push out near the solar poles.

The fact that the sun can and in the past has crippled the earth. There have been 16 solar flares In the past three days aimed at Earth.

You seem to be under the impression that solar flares are a rare event they are not they are incredibly common. The reason NASA thinks in the next ten years is simply probability.

Large fares happen all the time it's only a matter of time until the earth lines up with one.
>>
>>33194334
>Underestimating a solar event or EMP is a bad idea. Because we will have little to no warning of it until it hits.

We have 2 satellites exclusively watching the sun, not to mention monitoring services by those corporations with a vested interest in protecting their infrastructure. Oh, and the casual observatories periodically monitoring.
We will have some warning.

>80-90% lethality is well within the realms of possibility when you look at how dependant most of the population is on technology or shipments.

No.

Assuming 80 to 90 percent of the population are mouthbreathing retards, incapable of adaptation, who will starve to death when Krogers runs out of Hot Pockets and Capri Suns is the stupidist meme Ive ever seen on this board. The one thing that humans happen to be really really good at is adapting to new environments.
>>
>>33194495
>We will have some warning
6-8 minutes. That's it, I'm not sure if you are aware of what a solar event is but it ejects particles at the SPEED OF LIGHT. Yippee for you we have satellites unless they can warn the planet in that time frame then I stand by what I said we have almost no warning.

Yes half the planet are mouth breathing retards.
>>
>>33194457
>The fact that the sun can and in the past has crippled the earth.

Not really. Im mean, Its caused some major power outages, and we've had to move satellites a few times. That hardly qualifies as "crippled"

>There have been 16 solar flares In the past three days aimed at Earth.

That have done jack and squat. Which is what mostly happens. Yet you're still here fear mongering.

>You seem to be under the impression that solar flares are a rare event they are not they are incredibly common.

No, Im well aware of how common they are, which is why they don't scare me, and why Im not running around like chicken little.

>The reason NASA thinks in the next ten years is simply probability.

No, there is a cycle and we're getting better at predicting it. Also, NASA says a lot of really stupid shit, and it benefits them when scared congressman throw money at them.

Tell me what AT&T thinks of the problem.

>Large flares happen all the time it's only a matter of time until the earth lines up with one.

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. Yellowstone Caldera could blow up, an asteriod could hit, aliens could land, pandemic, cats and dogs living together!

Its ok to prepare, but stop acting like the end of times is right around the corner
>>
>>33194518
>6-8 minutes. That's it, I'm not sure if you are aware of what a solar event is but it ejects particles at the SPEED OF LIGHT.

there are different types of mass ejection events, and they eject different amounts of different things at different speeds, not all of which will have an effect, if it has any effect.

So to recap, the sun is very large, the earth moves around it, sometimes the sun spits out things that can potentially harm manmade unprotected electronic infrastructure. But to do that, the CME has to be pointed in exactly the right direction at the right time with the earth in exactly the right position, and the CME event has to eject exactly the right combination of plasma, particles, and radiation, and we have to have no warning that its going to happen for us to maybe, in the worst case scenario lose some electricity and cellphones. Much of which is already protected, most of which has a good chance of not being affected (according to the report) and all of which we've dealt with before, and humans have to not be able to adapt to the adversity of not having facebook.

Im literally shaking with fear.
>>
>>33193245
>Doesn't it have to be packaged in glass?
has more to do with the seal than the container..
even if honey crystallizes, you can reconstitute it by adding small amounts of water & mixing

>Won't pretty much all canned meats last about 3 years, because of the metal tins they're stored in?
a can of sardines can last for at least a decade if its in a cool, dry place..dried & salted pork which is air-sealed can also last for more than three years

>Can I just buy properly packaged hardtack?
dont know
>>
A brief post about Solar Storms.
The last real massive magnetic storm was decades ago and our networks arn't any where near s strong as they were in the analog age. The sheer amount of technology and our complete dependence on same is not understood by the average person ITT. If the same magnetic storm that fried large amounts of the grid in north America happened right now it would be catastrophic, not even trolling. Every cellular handset in the field of that storm would take a permanent shit. As would laptops and almost all desktops. Say good bye to you hard drives full of goodies and every single thing "smart".
As our tech developed is just didn't get stronger or safer it has in fact become much weaker.
>>
I'm a life long prepper and work in research with one of the largest research and design contractors in the USA, which is no where near as interesting or spoopy as it might sound.

Ask me anything I will be in and out of this tread all afternoon.
>>
>>33194842
This is what people don't seem to realise, the sheer dependence our society has on tech
>>
>>33195061
Almost no one understands how weak our power grid is but every time this power goes out for a couple days somewhere they get a taste of how fast it turns into the dark ages. Imagine that involving half the planet.. Our Mostly Socialist Media absolutely refuses to cover it.
The worst thing is the people responsible for hardening our power grid and vital networks don't even understand things. Look at how old and feeble minded the most powerful elected officials in DC are.
The stupid fucks have been saying our 50 year old closed systems that make up our ICBM network are too old. The fucking systems have worked perfectly and will work perfectly for ever with maintenance. Can you imagine if they were allowed to "update" everything. God help us all.
>>
>>33195167
Fucking hell thank you at least one person here gets it.
>>
>>33194842
>Every cellular handset in the field of that storm would take a permanent shit.

No.

>As would laptops and almost all desktops.

No.

>Say good bye to you hard drives full of goodies and every single thing "smart".

No.

There is absolutely no evidence to support anything you just claimed. In fact, as an electrical engineer and an amateur radio operator I can tell you that everything you just said was pulled directly from your own ass.

You need many miles of wire to act as an antenna to collect the energy from a CME, and there are a whole bunch of other mitigating factors that would prevent personal electronics from being destroyed. It is NOT a black and white issue.

>As our tech developed is just didn't get stronger or safer it has in fact become much weaker

I hate it when casuals think they know shit then try to pass it off as fact.
>>
>>33195199
>gets it

I get that you're chicken little claiming that the sky is falling. I also get laid, and don't live in my grandmothers basement, unlike you.
>>
>>33195322
>You would need many miles of wire to act as an antenna.
Huh well it's a good thing the united States doesn't have miles and miles of overground wires. It's even more of a relief knowing that these are not connected to homes and businesses.
Thank goodness there is nothing like that in the USA and if we did have it, it would be heavily defended against such threats

Thanks for making me feel so much better anon by telling me no.
>>
>>33195354
There are these things called circuit breakers and fuses. All sorts of fancy equipment to prevent damage.
Downtime is lost money the power and communictions guys have spent billions to limit damage and downtime from, these events.
>>
>>33195322
>There is absolutely no evidence to support anything you just claimed.
I have written papers that were later classified concerning this subject. I know what I speak of and you do not. You know what you are allowed to know because you are the casual friendo.
I will say it again , you only know what you are allowed to know. This story is fact. It happened and we weren't told about it for years. You shouldn't be such a smug fuck, maybe take a second and educate yourself.

>A recent revelation by NASA explains how on July 23, 2012, Earth had a near miss with a solar flare, or coronal mass ejection (CME), from the most powerful storm on the sun in over 150 years, but nobody decided to mention it.
>https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186805-the-solar-storm-of-2012-that-almost-sent-us-back-to-a-post-apocalyptic-stone-age

Here is another
>http://freebeacon.com/national-security/dhs-100-million-americans-could-lose-power-in-major-sun-storm/

This thread is about /k/ prepping so I won;t post on this specific subject other than CME and EMP proofing things so please don't drop stupid bait.
>>
>>33195461
With the level of charge an EMP would produce it would fry fuses and circuit breakers.

But I'll humor you, let's say circuit breakers work, it'll still fry every are meaning that every single cable would have to be replaced in mainland USA, yes there will be one or two generators here and there protecting the heavier protected wires but the grid as we know it will collapse.

Shit this happened in Canada only a few years ago a smaller flare hit and fried their networks do you really think the infrastructure in the USA is much better.
>>
>>33195354
yeah, my point was that your Samsung Note with your precious collection of loli porn and fleshlight instructables is pretty much safe as well as you home PC and your toaster, even if they're plugged in and especially if they're grounded.
CMEs and EMPs arent necessarily the same thing, or even similar
>>
>>33195525
Well of course they will be fine but there will be no way to charge them or use them once the grid drops so you are then in the same place.
>>
>>33195502
Quebec happened over 30 years ago and even then it only trippped the breakers and shut down sections of the grid for less than a day. SInce then there have been a lot of improvements made.
One of the subs I work at took a direct lightning hit to a circuit breaker. Power out for 3 hours while they repaired the grounding grid. Even municipal gear will withstand big hits. Had a drunk knock a 60kv line onto 720 feeder line beside my driveway. Fuse popped on my transformer and no damage done to any of the electronics in the house.
The infrastructure is designed to take big hits and stay intact. Downtime is lost profit.
>>
>>33195461
>There are these things called circuit breakers and fuses. All sorts of fancy equipment to prevent damage.
I think the point we are trying to make that you keep missing is that 25 years ago it really was as easy as swapping out a burnt fuse or maybe repairing the fused hardware but now it has become all to complicated. We used to be able to manufacture the old school fuses and hardware relatively quickly but now it takes components from all over the world and it a drawn out process. Shit has changed is what we are saying and the damaged caused by the last major event would take 5 or even 10 times as long to repair. Do you fucking even remember how bad that power outage was anon?
NOW.. how all this relates to prepping.
What happens when refrigeration stops for three months. What happens when our cities go hungry for a week. That is what we should be talking about.
Don;t let this troll derail the thread with EMP denial, that is a different topic.
>>
>>33195502
>With the level of charge an EMP would produce it would fry fuses and circuit breakers.

again, as I just mentioned here >>33195525 there are different effects of CMEs depending upon the type and level of CME and material ejected, and a man made EMP from a nuke. If you knew anything you'd already know this.

>But I'll humor you, let's say circuit breakers work, it'll still fry everything meaning that every single cable would have to be replaced in mainland USA, yes there will be one or two generators here and there protecting the heavier protected wires but the grid as we know it will collapse.

>generators
>protecting wires
>here and there
>heavier protected wires

dude just stop, seriously you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. You obviously don't have the faintest fucking clue about the physics of electricity or how the power grid works, so please, just stop your bullshit and realize that survivalblog and other sites are there to sell you an idea that things are weak and everything is broken and we're constantly on the verge of collapse and panic and doom.
>>
>>33195553
>Quebec happened over 30 years ago and even then it only trippped the breakers and shut down sections of the grid for less than a day. SInce then there have been a lot of improvements made.
>One of the subs I work at took a direct lightning hit to a circuit breaker. Power out for 3 hours while they repaired the grounding grid. Even municipal gear will withstand big hits. Had a drunk knock a 60kv line onto 720 feeder line beside my driveway. Fuse popped on my transformer and no damage done to any of the electronics in the house.
>The infrastructure is designed to take big hits and stay intact. Downtime is lost profit.

Its almost like you cant sell water filters to people unless you have them worried sick to the point of panic.

Its almost like people dont understand that in normal countries they take the lessons learned from past mistakes and weaknesses and apply them to solutions in the future

Its almost like someone ITT doesnt know shit but thinks they do and is defending their ignorance to the point of being cringeworthy while everyone else looks on and shakes their fucking heads
>>
File: IMG_20161013_194626.jpg (393KB, 1324x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161013_194626.jpg
393KB, 1324x918px
>>33189997
My last name is Gardner
>>
File: acid_picdump_68.jpg (50KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
acid_picdump_68.jpg
50KB, 700x525px
>>33195578
>>33195650
>>33195611
You three seem to know things. How about talking about ways for poorfags to get off grid and still be able to watch as much hentai as we need on the daily.
Seriously how do I run a couple energy saver deep freezes and maybe play a little vidya off grid.
>>
File: 12]3-94o.jpg (227KB, 1400x1046px) Image search: [Google]
12]3-94o.jpg
227KB, 1400x1046px
>>33195754
>>
>>33195485
>have written papers that were later classified concerning this subject. I know what I speak of and you do not. You know what you are allowed to know because you are the casual friendo.
>I will say it again , you only know what you are allowed to know. This story is fact. It happened and we weren't told about it for years. You shouldn't be such a smug fuck, maybe take a second and educate yourself

lol, fuck off troll.

>>33195578
>I think the point we are trying to make that you keep missing is that 25 years ago it really was as easy as swapping out a burnt fuse or maybe repairing the fused hardware but now it has become all to complicated.

Yeah, sure is more complicated flipping a breaker back on than finding a brand new fuse to replace the old one

>We used to be able to manufacture the old school fuses and hardware relatively quickly but now it takes components from all over the world and it a drawn out process.

I bet you think we should be using knob and tube wiring in our houses, insulated with asbestos, to power our AM radios to listen to Amos and Andy on the WNBC comedy hour presented by Chesterfield Cigarettes

>Shit has changed is what we are saying and the damaged caused by the last major event would take 5 or even 10 times as long to repair.

no it wouldnt, thats why you're an idiot.

>Do you fucking even remember how bad that power outage was anon?
>NOW.. how all this relates to prepping.
>What happens when refrigeration stops for three months. What happens when our cities go hungry for a week. That is what we should be talking about.
>Don;t let this troll derail the thread with EMP denial, that is a different topic.

Im not trolling, Im just not going to let you push bullshit lies so you can wallow in you infantile fantasy
>>
File: 1451424936710.jpg (199KB, 2024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1451424936710.jpg
199KB, 2024x1024px
>>33195845
I would die for some apple pie alright. Or maybe some crayons.
>>
>>33195824
have a lot of solar panels, your own hydro plant, and some wind turbines.

If you're off grid then producing you own power is costly and time consuming and you'll have to give up some luxury to achieve it. Until we get solar thats WAAAAAAYYYY more efficient and batteries capable of amazing storage then you're stuck...

Sorry anon, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.
>>
>>33195884
blablabla rancid spoiled bait blablabla
Some of us on thos board do important things in real life, before cunts like you started your infantile bullshit we used to have a dozen real life operators poosting here. a hundred active durty warriors and now we have cunts like you.
I work in the defense research world. I spent 6 months building robots that ended up as Boston Dynamics BigDog, what the fuck have you ever done cunt.
Go ahead and post you bait cause that is all you will ever do loser. I will continue on being awesome cause awesome is better. Pic related
>>33195890
Why not both brother
>>33195940
I think anon is thinking about a serious lack of sunlight for weeks at a time like if the super caldera goes boom or something.
>>
File: 20170304_143943.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_143943.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>33196033
Stupendous idea!
>>
File: 1311467490327.jpg (417KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1311467490327.jpg
417KB, 1024x768px
>>33195940
>If you're off grid then producing you own power is costly and time consuming
Look, I'm a truck driver who barely graduated HS so I don;t know much.
Can you think of ways to build a fire powered steam or pressure driven system that can produce and store electricity?
Using good deep freezers you can keep food at near sub zero temps running them a few hours a day in the middle of the desert if they are under cover. Running a small flat screen and dvd player isn't super power consuming.
I am asking you honestly is it even possible to achieve this before I attempt.
I saw a youtube years back where some hippy in the desert used like 4 solar panels and a bunch of batteries to keep food frozen and run a tiny air conditioner to keep a small space cool for a good nights sleep so I know it can be done. I just want to produce the electricity with some kind of generator and not panels.
>>
>>33196162
Why is that elmers glue there. This triggers my autism severely. REEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33196181
Icing
>>
>>33194291
Ahh so youre onto the painfully repetitive part of recovery then. It really is a very important part of the process that I dont suggest skipping like I had ha

Nah no sailboarding now as the water is still wayy to cold for that.
>>
>>33196186
So do the right thing and use paste not Elmers glue you evil bastard. Paste tastes so much better. Elmers glue tastes like pennies and salty milk.
>>
>>33196299
But I like pennies and salty milk. Paste taste too much like unscented deodorant.
>>
>>33188433
John Plaster's book

MienNigger.jpeg
>>
>>33196232
Dude I have made myself paranoid about skipping the exercises, kinda helps ha! But I also have a benchmarking fetish, seeing how much better my range of motion is the next day, etc. I think about taking the time off to go on a road trip with my brother here soon, gotta be able to carry shit first. Thanks for checking on me bro - hope you get some warm weather soon!
>>
>>33193081
16" pvc pipes buried, filled with cans ;)

>>33190224
Thanks!

>>33193412
>>33191349

I have a mountain bike and ride every weekend, mb a bike-trailer.

I found a route, mostly by forest trails, for my 400Km journey (i hope if SHTF i can drive). I did like 150km of it in the past hiking (several hikes). It's actually a great idea, bike-trailer, it's possible.

>>33193835

I had those shitty UJI filters with the bottle, but bought chlorine pills and Micropur Forte from Katadyn silver+chlorine (they have filters too). I heard about some UV tech from SteriPen (50$ amazon after 40% off), but shitty reviews. Im gonna check sawyer ones.

Until now
Guns: 30.06 (1st caliber in Spain), 9mm, .32acp (not common here), ammo, BB guns (CO2 it's a problem), machete, hatchet, knifes. Plus sharpening stones. Now i'm looking for a .300 (common here) and a shotgun.

Meds: Funny story, walking home drunk, some junkies raided an ambulance for drugs, the door was open, nobody there, 2 big bags, and i'm a bad hombre... I took them and ran. I improved my molle aid kit for my backbag, did one for the car and the rest it's in the cabin. Also, a paramedic gives me things. Variety of drugs, epinephrine, iodine, etc. This sucks bc expiration dates.

Fire kits, flints, torches, ponchos, boots, ice boots, snow rackets, snow camouflage ponchos and backpack covers, matches, lighters (i buy 100u box of small things like this), tent, foam mat and sleepingbag (im a camper), MREs, tools, rope, axes, shovels, picks, hoes, pipes, nails, screws, etc...
A lot alredy in the cabin.

I need:
radio, generator, forge, more books, more food, seeds, live stock in the future if i move there.
The cabin it's a mess, the new house i'll design it to be functional, big basement (75% of it hide behind a comfy wood wall with a small entry behind a panel).

>>33193580
Brilliant ideas, i worked with oxy and you are right. About plates, gonna ask to the architech, we talked about the basement and foundations.
>>
>>33196738
Sounds like you have the right mindset for a quick recovery.
Road trips are always a good idea, once you have your range of motion and most of the strenght back would be a good time to go.
No problem, I'll always look out for a fellow /k/ommando.
>>
>>33196170
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Solar physics, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret satellites by NASA, and I have over 300 confirmed CME sightings.

I am trained in space warfare and I’m the top space shuttle door gunner in the entire US space forces. You are nothing to me but just another tiny target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of astrophysicists across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the solar storm, maggot. The solar storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call electricity. You’re cellphones fucking dead, kid. It can be anywhere, anytime, and it can kill your ipad in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with plasma discharges.

Not only am I extensively trained in repairing the Hubble, but I have access to the entire scope of SETI and I will use it to its full extent to prevent your power grid on your continent from failing, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “knob and tube” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have placed your radios in a faraday cage.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit ions all over you and you will drown in them.

You’re powers off forever, kiddo.
>>
>>33196738
>I had those shitty UJI filters with the bottle, but bought chlorine pills and Micropur Forte from Katadyn silver+chlorine (they have filters too). I heard about some UV tech from SteriPen (50$ amazon after 40% off), but shitty reviews. Im gonna check sawyer ones.
Learn how to use regular household bleach to purify water. There are hundreds of you tube videos showing multiple stage filtering systems for getting organics solids out of the water. Regular unscented bleach is the sex.
Now if you will take some time to learn about using Chlorine Crystals you will buy a 20 ounce canister of concentrated chloringt bleach that will treat over 5,000 gallons of water. The most important thing is a fresh water source, if you have that you can treat a hundred gallons a day easily for as long as you need.
Water is pretty important shit though.
>>
>>33197057
Not to bad, 7/10 if OC.
If copypasta you suck dog dick.
>>
>>33193245
>Can I just buy properly packaged hardtack?
If scurvy sound like fun. Buy MREs or Euro equivalents. They work and last many years. If you are serious, don't fuck around.
>>
>>33197169
It's a variant of the navy seal pasta. I've got at least a half dozen versions tucked away in my autism folder
>>
>>33174238
Where does the poop go?
>>
>>33197287
Learn how to dehydrate and make your own long shelf life foods for 15 cents on the dollar after the cost of commercial dehydrating equipment.
I have 12 months of food on shelves I pressure canned myself. It's as simple as making a delicious stew and pressure canning it, lasts for up to 18 months. You buy a bunch of stuff on clearance and cook it up then can it. The cost savings is fucking insane once you figure it out and MRE's suck for many reasons. They really are not good for you and the foods you can prepare yourself are healthy as fuck.
This weekend we are making sausages and then pressure canning them. Because of the high fat content they expire at around 9 moths but after two days of fucking around with family we will spend a fraction of the cost per unit and end up with a much healthier product. Winner winner cake for dinner.
Now take into consideration we have a garden that is almost 2.5 acres and some high production per square foot more than 3/4's of the food we can is home grown and costs labor only. Suddenly you find your take home pay has almost doubled. Smart prepping is a no lose deal.
>>
>>33197336
If it isn't your OC you suck dog dick. If only everyone would delete everything they didn't create we could make the boards great again.
>>
>>33197404
I didn't talk about dehydrated foods. My store of dehydrated foods will be tasty for close to two decades. I have been doing it a while and started vacume sealing under a nitrofen blanket a couple years agfo. Basically the same process that mountain house and wise foods uses. Our recipes are delicious and nutritious. We eat them regularly.
They don't have a high animal fat content which is a real concern long term but none the less I have a few years of food stored up and it takes up such a small amount of space. Just add water and boil for a bit. Add squirrel, rabbit, possum, rat or what ever animal protein is available and you are good to go.
Don't laugh about eating rat. If shit ever really hits the fan you will do all types of disgusting things to survive. Preppers will do far less disgusting t5hings and the very well prepped will do almost none of that.
>>
>>33197287
this isnt 1798, you just take vitamin c supplements
>>
>>33197413
i started with the navy seal copypasta and changed some words and phrases to make it fit

u mad?
>>
>>33193654
Hey man, I have no plans on making bunkers out of schoolbuses. But Ive watched a lot of videos about preppers using old schoolbuses as bunkers. Then again those are the same people making plate armor out of old computer parts and look like 400lbs blobs.
>>
>>33185233
>
this is why preppers are considered to be stupid. If yellowstone erupts it wont be a temporary apocalypse, it will not only disrupt the power between nations but also cause worldwide famine as the entire system of goods-transports crash and burn. America will not be fine, you will be fucked
>>
What gear would I need to buy to protect myself from people at these riots? They dont use guns, mostly pepper spray and blunt objects.

Can I get some recommendations on gear (basically everything)? I feel like im gonna need it soon.
>>
>>33197784
Buy a gun

>Outnumbered
>Fear for my personal safety/life

shit that reason enough for me to draw
>>
>>33197617
No.
You made it your own. I've done that a coupe dozen time from the original pasta. If you go to https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Gorilla_warfare/Copypasta_Archive 15 of these are mine and I have posted another dozen here that were never added.

I am all about the OC bitch. Create OC or suck dog dick. So...do you suck a lot of dog dick or not?
>>
>>33197734
That worked out so well for the branch davidians didn't it. You fucking tool.
>>
>>33197747
I live in eastern KY. That caldera could go full retard and my family will be fine. We have food and water for a year and after that we already are farmers. No problem growing three times the food we need so we have that much to trade or pay in tribute to the local warlord. Fuck you, you go and starve to death I will be fine..
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-03-20-27-19.png (322KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-03-20-27-19.png
322KB, 720x1280px
>>33198137
I dabble, in-between feminine penises
>>
>>33198150
What did I do wrong? ;_;
>>
File: IMG_1590.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1590.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What ratio do you guys keep concerning silver to gold? I just got 2 ounces yesterday, this is all I got for now
>>
What portable water filter do you guys recommend? I have 2 lifestraws, but I remember people recommending a better one. It was black, but I forgot it's name.
>>
>>33197413
I'm not the anon who posted it. I'm the other anon.

I'm guessing you're fairly new. That pasta has been floating around for 4 years that I know of.
>>
>>33198944
The whole debate about whether or not to collect metal is contentious and stirs up a shitstorm whenever it comes up.

That being said, don't do any gold until you have at least 100 ounces of silver on hand. Get about 20 ounces in 1 and half ounce rounds and bars. Then shift to 5 ounce bars for the rest of it.

Then get 1 ounce of gold. That's roughly a comparable value to your 100 ounces of silver. And that gives you your ratio, right there. Comparable values of each metal.
>>
>>33174453
i kek'ed pretty fuckin hard.
>>
>>33174505
This makes me feel much better kek, /fit/, own many guns, small town, know how to fish and hunt, have a cabin on 40 acres 2 hours away in the middle of no where.

Only shitty thing is I'm in the desert but there is more than enough antelope deer and elk around here
>>
>>33196170
>Can you think of ways to build a fire powered steam or pressure driven system that can produce and store electricity?

Batteries for storage, inverter, some other trinkets. Talk to an electrician who specializes in off-grid installations.

Steam power can be tricky. Old-style tech is fairly simple, but it's inefficient and maintenance intensive. Turbine tech requires precision machining. If you really had to, you could probably MacGyver an old style steam engine if you have access to a junkyard.

Consider gasification to make fuel for an internal combustion engine. Here's a starting point-

http://www.build-a-gasifier.com/fema-gasifier-plans/
>>
>>33188512
that particular house would be pretty defensible
>>
>>33198944
honestly you would be better off with other things that can be bartered that arint as much hassle..coffee,sugar,salt,cigs,medical supplies, toiletries, things like that.
>>
>>33185252
>Topo and current road maps are ways to avoid overwhelmed routes.

Have a BOL picked out. Print out topo and Google maps of your routes to your BOL. Also print out Google Earth overhead pics of your routes. Match the overheads to the maps. Renew all of these annually. The maps tell you how to get to where you're going. The pics help you avoid the bad parts.
>>
>>33199155
Sawyer mini filter. Good for about 100,000 gallons, and costs 20 bucks.
>>
>>33198944
Start going to the pawn shops,and buy the pre-1964 culls. Every $1.80 in coin face value is about an ounce. If you can find one shop to do business with, you'll end up paying close to spot.
You can make smaller purchases with them without taking a hit on a full ounce.
>>
File: 1486901335854.jpg (140KB, 1024x916px) Image search: [Google]
1486901335854.jpg
140KB, 1024x916px
>>33193607
Between gardening and keeping animals you can make having a gun turn into a purely defensive decision. Really hardly any need for hunting unless it's supplemental. This lowers the risk of having to deal with other hunters.
>>
>>33181921

I imagine you only believe that because shitholes typically surround tourist areas (where the workers/beggars live). The farther you get from tourist areas, the closer you get to undeveloped jungle, self-sufficient farms, or middle//upper class neighborhoods. These areas (except the jungle) are typically swarming with police or vigilantes, both of whom will kill and bury anyone who steps out of line.
>>
>>33201666

>These areas (except the jungle) are typically swarming with police or vigilantes, both of whom will kill and bury anyone who steps out of line.

So I can see that as a plus and a minus, especially if you don't know anyone there.
>>
>tfw living in a location so safe it makes prepping almost pointless
I only have three scenarios to worry about:
>"Russian Hackers" shutting down power
Enough supplies for two weeks, that should be sufficient
>nukes
Far enough out to not get directly hit, the build-up gives enough time to get out of the suburbs
>house fire
Extinguishers all over the place, planning on installing an emergency rope ladder in case the stairwell becomes impassable
>>
File: saltscenario.jpg (208KB, 1149x721px) Image search: [Google]
saltscenario.jpg
208KB, 1149x721px
>>33188433
>>
File: CHUMMBA WUMMBA.jpg (23KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
CHUMMBA WUMMBA.jpg
23KB, 475x475px
>>33199253
>I'm guessing you're fairly new.
I have been here since last summer
That copypasta is less than 1 year old idiot.
>>
>>33202066
I saved this version in 2012

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>33202267
Got this version in 2014, iirc

Quid FUTUO fecit vos iustus stupri dicitis, vos parvi ferreo canis exprimamus? Ego ibo vos scire, vitae sodales vertice meo generi in classe Sigilla, et Ive 'been involved in numerosis occultis populationes Al-Quaeda, et non habeo super CCC confirmata Necat. Sum, exercitati in gorilla militiam et Im summitate pellentesque in tota US armati exercitus. Nihil aliud dicis nisi mihi signum. Pedicabo ego vos et delebo de elegantia, quae numquam visa sunt super terram illam beatam, verbis meis attende in stupri. Cum primum licebit tuenda putas locum in Penitus? Cogita iterum, fucker. Sicut dicimus sum contingentes occultis meis network of exploratores trans USA et vestra IP est res protaxit vox iam sic te melius praeparant ad tempestas, vermiculus. Tempestate iactatis extergit sicco misellus parvum aliquid vocas vita tua. Vos es stupri mortuis, et hædum. Usquam possum, aliquando et vos non occidat super septingenti viis meis et manibus nudis ultricies. Non solum sum extensive, exercitati in inermes certaminis, sed ego accessum habent ad totius praebiti Civitatum Foederatarum Marine Corps et ego utor is ad eius plenam quatenus ad abstergendas tuam miseram asinus facie continenti vos parvi cacas. Si vos modo potuit sciatur quid profanum retributionem vester parvulus, "ingeniosus" comment erat circa humiliare super vos, maybe tu forsitan tuum tenebant stupri a digitorum typing. Attamen neque, non iam pecuniam solvere es tu goddamn ineptus. Ego volo cacas furore totus super vos et mergunt in ea. Vos es stupri mortuis, kiddo.
>>
What the are the best tissue damaging rounds in

7.62x39

5.56x45

and 7.62x51

thank you.
>>
>>33202286
This version came over from /b/ sometime before 2014, which is when I saved it.

What the fuck did you just post on my /b/, you little bitch? I'll have you know I just became a mod, on this shithole board. I've been involved in numerous secret raids on roll threads, and I have over 300 permabans. I've been trained in butthurt warfare, and I'm the most frequent mod on the entire website of 4chan. You are nothing to me, but just another IP. I will get you the fuck out with IP bans, the likes of which your proxies won't get around on this board, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with posting that shit on /b/ while I am active? Think again fucker. As we speak, I'm contacting my secret network of mods across all the boards and your IP is being banned right now. So you better prepare for the ban, faggot. The ban that wipes you off the face of 4chan. You're fucking banned kid. I can be on any board any time and ban you in over 700 ways, and that's just under 5 days. Not only am I extensively trained in banning people, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the image board moderators, and I will use it to it's full extent to wipe your miserable ass of the internet. You little shitposter. If you could only have known what butthurt retribution your little cancerous comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would've read my fucking post. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're getting a ban. You goddamn cancer, I will shit bans all over you, and you will drown in them. You're fucking banned kiddo
>>
>>33202066
That copypasta is so old it's fallen out of style, idiot. It's from 2012.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/navy-seal-copypasta
>>
File: image.png (186KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
186KB, 750x1334px
>>33202312
buy a gun chambered in 5.45x39 and pretend it's one of those you listed

:>)
>>
>>33198944

>shit goes HORRIBLY south on a global scale
>should the need arise, you will have to eventually leave your home at some point (unless you are already rural)
>have to lug around pounds upon pounds upon pounds of dead weight in gold & silver

I'd buy precious metals but I wouldn't keep any of it in my BoB.
>>
>>33202312

5.56x45 is most efficient, but with the 7.62's you'll have better barrier penetration and the x51 has greater range capabilities

tissue damaging? all of those'll fuck shit up
>>
>>33202267
>>33202389
replying to "been here since summer".
douchebags
>>
>>33202646
Fuck. I got memed, didn't I?
>>
>>33202480
Having a stock of metal isn't a bad idea. It's just another resource, like having respiratory protection. You might not need to use that particular resource in whatever shtf situation may arise, but it's available. Resources open up options.

Of course, the key thing is knowing when and how to use your available resources. That applies to metal, ammo, medical supplies, construction equipment, and everything else you have.

Metal is pretty worthless when your roof is on fire, or when the mob is coming over the barricades. It might be a lifesaver in the weeks leading up to those events, though.
>>
>>33201917
Bump the supplies up to 4 weeks. Study the prevailing weather in your area, see if you're in a likely fallout plume. If you are, find out the most likely timeframe for fallout to start hitting your area after the blast. That timeframe determines whether you bug out or button up.

Buttoning up against fallout only requires a few rolls of visqueen, duct tape, and a couple of cases of HEPA furnace filters. It also doesn't hurt to have a tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, rubber boots, and a respirator with P-100 cartridges.

If you're bugging out, having a pre selected destination is critical. You also want to make sure that your egress routes don't cross fallout plumes.
>>
>>33196893
btw I'll probably post x-ray pics somewhere once I get some. if you notice, say hi constructionbro!
>>
>>33198172
hahaha, the entire north american continent will be plunged into darkness as an ashcloud blocks out the sun for months or years. Crops will inevitably fail, and people will migrate around looking for food, killing each other constantly. You wont be able to grow anything, you will be forced into cannibalism when all animals are eaten
>>
File: IMG_20170228_115715.jpg (3MB, 2187x1345px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170228_115715.jpg
3MB, 2187x1345px
Bugout vehicle bread died
so, post bugout vehicles?

Bought this qt for $300. Needed a little work, and the A/C is still out, but stupid reliable and impossible to get stuck. Sound system ain't half bad either. The bed is long enough to sleep in with the tailgate down, and the tonneau cover even has hydraulics so it'll stay up like a little tent (got some tarps for complete coverage)
>>
>>33204562
I think I posted this in another thread, but how difficult would it be to build a weapon mount onto the back of a truck?
>>
>>33204631
2 ways

The easy/universal way:
Bolt down a swiveling Y-post (potentially with a locking clamp on top) that can accept a wide array of long guns. I highly recommend some form of handstop on the rail that will help secure and keep the gun from sliding out/around too much (especially if clamped in)

The official way is to find an MG and a compatible mount. But, considering the likelihood you'll be forced the ditch the vehicle, I'd be very hesitant to a) sink that kind of money into a mounted weapon and b) risk being unable to detach/transport it with ease
>>
>>33204728
Well I was thinking of mounting a square hole, similar to those on the back of trucks to mount trailers, then having a removable pole with swivel mount on top which I can take off when not being used.

I was also thinking of attaching some harness mounts so I could strap in which would provide more safety if using it while on the move
>>
>>33204737
We're on the same page, and support straps are definitely a good idea. I'm most curious about how into an efficient, universal mount that can take AR's (so ubiquitous), AKs (7.62 can effectively target other vehicles), and hopefully much more.
>>
>>33204562
$300? No way, that is a crazy deal.
Remove the stock rigid mud flaps, get a lift, throw on some bigger tires and call it good.

I need to get some water and gasoline containers for my vehicle. Needs a lift, plus some recovery gear. Also I need to buy some more cases of MREs.
>>
>>33204788
I mean you could possibly get one of the grips that can open and close, similar to the mobile phone mounts you have in cars, if you could stretch it open put the weapon in it should have a fairly tight grip and you could put a small strap over the top for added security.
>>
>lives in mountain west state

2 hr walk and im in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>33204800
it's true. Had to replace brakes, suspension, and spark plugs. Oh and definitely gonna need new tires!

>>33203613
t. cormac mccarthy
>>
>>33205476
>cormac mccarthy
not reading GOAT William R. Forstchen
>>
>>33193245
>Doesn't it have to be packaged in glass?

No. Plastic an metal work just fine. It's most commonly sold in the US in plastic containers.

Keep it sealed to keep pests out, and to avoid airborne contaminants. If you get the wrong kind of yeast in it, it turns into mead.

Don't worry if it crystallizes. That has no effect on longevity or nutritional value. You can use it in crystallized form if necessary. To re-liquify, put the container into hot (not boiling) water and let stand until everything has cooled back down to room temperature. For best results, use at least an amount of water equal to 3X the volume of the honey container. That gives you enough heat transfer into the honey to liquify it. You can use a larger quantity of water if you like, but be mindful of fuel constraints. You'll also want to have another use for the water, so as to maximize your efficiency.

Do not add water to honey to reconstitute from crystalline form. Adding water to honey will almost always result in the honey converting into mead. That's not necessarily a bad thing, until your honey container explodes from the pressure build up. I've accidentally made mead a few times, it's a monumental pain in the ass. I've done it intentionally a few times, caught some really good hangovers.

Mead is the simplest way to make alcohol.
>>
>>33193316
>How many people here can actually ruck 12+ miles with their gear at a decent pace?

48 out of 73. So, the majority.
>>
>>33193580
>You can run oxygen concentrators off a small generator sufficient to run small torches, and oxy-propane works well for brazing.

You can also electrolyze water into hydrogen and oxygen. Iirc, hydrogen is a very energetic fuel gas. Handle it with the same caution you would use around black powder.

As far as the electrolysis, solar panels will work for providing the necessary electricity. You could even use those little ones that come on garden lights. Connect a few of them in series for increased output. Once you get the basic rig set up, it's going to be producing gas whenever the sun is shining.

If you don't have solar panels, and can't get any, you can use a similar setup to collect methane from organic decomposition. The fuel gas you get will have some other waste gases in it, so it's going to burn dirtier. You'll also need to pay more attention to venting, because you're also going to be generating H2S. That stuff will kill you in 5 minutes at 800 ppm, so you really want to watch your supply line routing. This is not recommended for use in enclosed spaces.
>>
>>33199448
That much silver weighs a ton.
I'd buy ten troy ounces of silver and 1 troy ounce of gold. For easy transport.
>>
>>33193607
>I could survive on that output easily.

But you'd really be Jonesing for a salad. Any idea how long hard-boiled eggs last without refrigeration? You probably have a pretty decent trade item.
>>
>>33193835
>People who expect to sponge off their "prepper" friends can't be expected to show up with anything useful.

A pair of hands and a pair of eyes is all I ask. In return for 14 hours of work per day, I'll provide basic shelter, basic nutrition, and basic security. Once we get past surviving whatever the immediate shtf event is, then we can have a discussion about bullshit like "fairness" and "equality". They might not like my answers, though.
>>
>>33206787
>Any idea how long hard-boiled eggs last without refrigeration?
we keep unboiled eggs in the pantry, uncooled, for weeks. it's a very robust food item. Hen Egg White Lysozyme is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>33206867
Letting other humans close enough to kill you in your sleep...ayyyylmao
I know it's a stupid tv show but unless you go full negan you will end up dead or losing all your supplies.
>>
>>33206895
if very hard boiled they can last for weeks and they are easy to pickle and are good for years , just takes a while to get used to
unwashed fresh eggs will last almost a couple months, look up youtube vids about checking eggs for freshness.
>>
>>33189938
Much thanks and praise for whoever took the time to create this.

With love, anon
>>
>>33206931
nah, I talking fresh eggs in the pantry. they keep at least for 3-4 weeks although I've never really cared to find out how long they'll keep specifically. Then, by boiling, you can extend their shelf life for another 3-4 weeks. My mother's parents were post ww2 south european paupers who basically were raised, and raised their own kids, on chickens and rabbits.
>>
>>33194151
>then go back and reassess the book and report.

Don't waste time on the book. It's fiction, and badly written. I made it about 20 pages in before having to put it down. It's not quite as bad as that tripe by Lind, but it's a contender.

I agree that a big EMP/CME isn't an instant return to the Stone Age. I'm not a physicist so I may have missed a lot, but from what I can tell the biggest problem we'd have from one of these events is that power lines would fry. They're one of the few things that have the size to match wavelengths, thus receiving significant damage. It would be pretty significant if 80% of all of the above ground powerlines in the middle third of the country suddenly heated up cherry red. All that insulation would drip off. There'd probably be more than a few lines down from hot shortness failures. And fires everywhere.

That would be the problem. It would take at least a few years to restring all those wires, on top of dealing with whoever caused it in the first place in the case of an EMP.
>>
>>33206997
I don't see how steel cables as thick as my arm could be "fried" without other effects killing us soft squishy animals much sooner. consumer electronics will get shrecked but big structures will not and power lines aren't insulated anyway.
>>
>>33194518
>it ejects particles at the SPEED OF LIGHT

Since particles have mass, I find that hard to believe, in spite of the fact that you used caps lock.
>>
>>33194868
Which is better, Dawn or Dr. Bronner's Castile Mint? Why?
>>
>>33207178
I wonder how fast the matter ejected in a CME moves.
>>
>>33194518
>>33207178
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

>The flare was associated with a major coronal mass ejection (CME) that travelled directly toward Earth, taking 17.6 hours to make the 150 million kilometre (93 million mile) journey.
>>
>>33207202
>Dawn or Dr. Bronner's Castile Mint
Both. Dawn is super concentrated but variety keeps yup sane.
For sheer bang for your buck and storage space I go with chlorine pool crystals. Bleach is about the most versatile but you can't bathe with it nor do you want to bathe with dish soaps regularly. Many have decreasing agents that with cause all kind of dermatitis.
>>
>>33195354
Jesus, how dense are you? The wires themselves would take damage, yes. Some unfortunate items plugged into the grid MIGHT be damaged, if a whole raft of physical factors come into play.

Your most likely probability is, a lot of circuit breakers and load centers are going to get lightly crispy. Your car is not, unless your Prius is plugged in, and that's only possibly. You deserve it anyhow for driving a Prius.

Your cell phone in your pocket is not going to get bricked.

Quit reading the fear mongers, try learning a little of the science involved.
>>
>>33195485
>I have written papers that were later classified concerning this subject.

>so please don't drop stupid bait.

Precisely.
>>
>>33195502
>it would fry fuses and circuit breakers.

Which is what's supposed to happen, numbnuts. That's what they're there for. Those are considered consumable items for a reason.
>>
>>33195552
>there will be no way to charge them or use them

I charge mine just fine both from solar and in my vehicle. The cell network has a series of battery back up, solar, and generator power sources.
>>
>>33206762
That much silver weighs 8 pounds and change. You're not putting it in your BOB, it's for getting you through times when currency is unstable. It's an investment, just like stocks and bonds. You cash it in when appropriate.

Metal is worthless in a barter economy, spend it before things get to that point.
>>
>>33207702
>>33206762
>>33199448
>>33198944

jesus fucking christ, how can anyone believe stupid inert metal will be of any value as people are jimping over each other to survive? ammo, medicines, chemicals, food - that's the stuff you stock up on. it has inate value, gold does not. and in the case of ammo, it's a sound finanacial investment as ammo prices ony ever go up. imagine you had bought 100 spam cans of 76239 or 54539 and were to sell it now....
>>
>>33207760
Please can we not do this again we had a whole thread about this the other day about the retarded argument between supplies and precious materials.

In the end we concluded that yes precious metals will have a use a long way down the line in a shtf as they have been used in all civilizations as a means of trading.

Short term yes supplies food, water and services are the main currency.

Finally we concluded that trading bullets an ammo is generally retarded and you'll likely see them again at very high velocity but hey, you do you.

Happy days I'm glad we cleared that up.
>>
>>33206912
>Letting other humans close enough to kill you in your sleep

Strangers? No. People I know? On a conditional basis. They're going to have to get past the armed watchstander, first.

I said I would put them to work and provide for their basic needs. I didn't say I was going to hand over the keys to the place and let them into the gun room.

Once they've been around a while, and invested enough sweat, we can talk about things like trust.

Get some clarity on what motivates people to do the things that they do. Once you do that, you'll realize how much arrant bullshit is scripted into TV, movies, and videogames.
>>
>>33189997
use organic seeds that can reproduce. high mowing is one company you could use.
>>
>>33199498
>2 hours away
>middle of nowhere
>>
>>33207887
True but if he is already in a small town he could already be in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>33207809
Ignore precious metals trolls.
If you can't drink it, fuck it, use it to stay warm and dry or defend your life with it it has no value . The concept of SHTF itself makes all things of great value before the defication hitting the oscillation worthless for all intents and purposes.
>>
>>33207921
i could see having a few hundred bucks in silver but not much beyond that really
>>
>>33207062
Those cables are long enough to act as an antenna, collecting and amplifying the energy. Enough energy build up, they heat up to the point of failure. Consumer electronics don't have the sheer size to be affected by an EMP. Same with organisms. We're too small to collect dangerous amounts of energy. Blue whales might possibly be large enough to be at risk, but I suspect they're shielded by the ocean. Redwood and sequoia trees might also be large enough to be at risk, although I suspect their vertical orientation gives them some protection.

If power lines aren't insulated, what's the purpose of the black rubbery/plastic stuff on them?
>>
>>33207208
Not at the speed of light. NASA might have that information.
>>
>>33207227
So, considerably less than lightspeed
>>
>>33183602
this.

"preppers" without atleast 100,000 rounds of ammunition, a private lake, tunnel/cave complex, 100+ acres, and wife dying to have your many white babies

are a joke and are probably fugged
>>
>>33207809
gold and silver ain't going to spoil, if ever it was to become a meaningful ressource, it will be exactly where we left it, in the ruins of banks, unless it has been used for shot in rifles. carrying an ounce of gold instead of two rounds of 556 in your bob is asinine.
>>
>>33207760

Now go back to my post and re-read the part where I said

>Metal is worthless in a barter economy, spend it before things get to that point.

Which is pretty much what you're trying to say, only you're sperging about it.
>>
File: IMG_0849.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0849.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Investing in first aid is a must!
>>
>>33207987
Oh I completely agree if you are going to buy it instead of meaningful supplies (what what reason I don't know) leave that at home, under a floor board hidden somewhere you don't need it in your BOB.

People should be bugging in anyway, if you are bugging out to a designated BoL then keep your pretty rocks there
>>
File: 69113996.jpg (60KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
69113996.jpg
60KB, 1024x680px
>>33207943
>If power lines aren't insulated, what's the purpose of the black rubbery/plastic stuff on them?

No idea what you are talking about...
>>
>>33193835
sawyer minis are total shit m8 buddy broke two of them within 200 miles one time

Katadyn, and many replacement filters for them; also ceramic ones you can clean but are much heavier
>>
>>33208056
I think he means the cable protectors, they are there to insulate the wire not protect it from EM radiation. It helps stop energy being transferred from electric to thermal and there by wasting it. While yes it does protect against the elements a bit and animals that's pretty much it.
>>
>>33200936
kys and stop recommending shit you've used for 5 minutes and liked
>>
File: whatifak.jpg (669KB, 1224x1124px) Image search: [Google]
whatifak.jpg
669KB, 1224x1124px
>>33208007
tq on outside
>>
>>33208114
I only placed it there for the pic
>>
>>33208131
i was pointing out my tq is on outside*
>>
File: IMG_20170305_171701_346.jpg (46KB, 674x289px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170305_171701_346.jpg
46KB, 674x289px
>>33208007
How does this look for an IFAK loadout
>>
>>33208478
add
>chelox gauze
>4 israeli bandages of different sizes
>2 triangle bandages pre folded into cravates
>aluminium burn gauze and burn gel
>>
>>33208528
The celox page is celox gauze 4x4, I already have two "Israeli" bandages they are the oleas. I'm curious what would the triangle bandages be for. Could the burn gear not go in my first aid kit?
>>
>>33208574
>I'm curious what would the triangle bandages be for.
traditionally they are used as tourniquets. yes, the burn stuff you can keep in your first aid kit. It's important though that you do not forget about burns. they are a major every day accident. an oil or hot water burn, or god forbind plastic, will result in major shock.
>>
>>33208619
That's what I thought I mean I'm planning on having a minimum of 2 TQs on my kit. So I may skip the triangle bandages.

I may stick my burn stuff in my first aid kit rather than my IFAK then. It may already have stuff in there
>>
>>33208096
>they are there to insulate the wire

Which is why I called it insulation, at which point the other anon stated that power lines aren't insulated.
>>
>>33209237
My bad anon
>>
>>33208265
Oh, I was always told to have it on the outside for easier access
>>
>>33208478
As long as you know how to use an NPA it looks good for a basic kit.
>>
>>33209746
68W ftw, I'm considering trying to transfer to the air Force and go pararescue
>>
>>33197083
Roger. You answered wrong post, but i read every post.

>>33206731
>>33193580

Spanishfag again. With solar panels we have a problem in my country. You can have them, but if you wanna sell your surplus production, you have to pay to sell it (not my broken english, actually you pay to sell the energy you produce to the energy company) It's insane, politicians join the executive board of energy companies when they leave politics. Africa begins at the Pyrenees.
You have to be 100% off-grid if you don't want to pay that tax.

It's a huge investment with 0 return, "only" the money you save from electric bill, let's see what does Tesla with powerwall here.

Thanks for the tips guys, i will study electrolysis and oxy-fuel.

If you can answer this: How long does gasoline last in a sealed container? google give me several answers.
>>
>33209991

I rotate mine about once a year - no problems.
>>
>>33174206
From a technical standpoint, being indoors in a basement with a mostly-concrete room save you during the initial nuclear blast?
Could you survive that, or will the heat incinerate your house and your basement?

My basement is at a depth of around 7 feet at when it's ceiling begins.
>>
>>33210190
depends on the distance from the blast obviously. Better than nothing, anyway.
>>
>>33210190
Theoretically yes, you should be relatively safe.

Of course there are multiple factors you have to weigh in, location of the blast in relation to you, wind direction etc.

One thing you may have to worry about is radiation seeping though.

However in all honesty it's a pretty shitty situation with nukes because an irradiated surface is not going to be able to sustain life or crops. Best thing to do is avoid living near any major targets.
>>
>>33209790
consider doing SOCM before you transfer
>>
>>33210245
Interesting, I may do that but honestly I'm looking at fitness mostly, I've been taught medical shit with the army already and the PJs will teach me what I need to know with them but it's an interesting idea.

Thanks anon
>>
>>33210238
>>33210211
I live in rural Northern-Central Canada.

So the odds of a nuclear blast hitting within 10 miles of me are very, very low.
>>
>>33210288
Shit you could probably dance outside in your underwear and be fine.

Looking at it though Canada's wind comes from the north so unless someone drops nukes north of you (maybe if they hate snow or some shit) then yeah you'll have fallout blowing your way but judging by where you are you should be fine.
>>
I've pre-poured 6 inches of concrete in my brace-position room, it has seeds, soil, gas masks, and even a lead apron, canned foods for about 7 months while the initial fallout settles.

I've got weightlifting equipment to stay in shape, and off the grid computers with games for entertainment.
Hooked up to diesel generator, and solar panels stowed away, which I'll deploy after the initial strike.

All of this costed only 3 thousand.
>>
File: 1411417843408.png (2MB, 1456x904px) Image search: [Google]
1411417843408.png
2MB, 1456x904px
>>33210288
>>
>>33210350
Scrap the computer, get books, survival books, gardening books, mechanical books, wasting power on a computer is a dumb idea, sorry to burst your bubble but you'll need that fuel for when shit gets rough.
>>
>>33210536
Sorry this is what? I'm guessing potential targets as well as wind patterns, though I thought most of those northern strikes would blow down with winds from Canada
>>
>>33210536
>Still targeting Wright-Patterson Airforce Base in Dayton

Nice 1970's Soviet sources dood
>>
Someone with a good end of the world image please start a thread.
>>33208619
>>33208677
Fuck burns, fuck them completely.
>>
>>33210744
I'm sorry what?
>>
>>33210764
What? I'm sorry.
>>
>>33211038
I don't understand what you were asking for or what your point was about burns.
>>
can you drink water from a running stream?
>>
>>33211087
If you purify it yes.
>>
>>33209237
They aren't.
Transmission and distribution lines are aluminium with high tensile steel core. They do not have insulation on them.
>>
>>33211075
I was perfectly clear. Fuck burns.
>>33211075
How many dead things are up stream from where you pulled that water? Always filter and boil / purify water.
>>
>>33211087
The biggest threat you face is from shit floating downstream, you dont know if there's a dead animal, a dead person, bubba taking a shit, a chemical spill.

Unless your drinking directly from the source you need to filter and boil it and even then I'd still filter and boil it.
>>
Underqualified medical fag here
>>33210744 I doth fucking agree. Just remember don't pop the blister.
MRSA and bacterial skin infections are contagious and are easily transmitted. Here's some shit to consider buying medical wise.
Hibiclense:4%Chlorhexadine. Kills staph, MRSA, used it as decolonizing skin wash on my family from a case of communicable MRSA. If not available in your area, try the local pet store, and look for the 2% mouth wash or the 4% shampoo. Either of those are viable. If you can't get Chlorhexadine in 2% or higher, go for Triclosan. Triclosan at 2% has better killing powers than 4% Chlorhexadine. Benzalconium chloride is now taking over from Triclosan since its not hard on your thyroid. I haven't read too many tests, reports, or field trials of BZK but it sounds alright. The only thing is you can get it in the tiny hand wipes and that's it.
PIRD drawing salve. It can pull whatever sub-cu infections and intra-tissue shit out like nothing. It's useful for every day shit as well like small infection on the fingers and the like.
Spray saline. My Walmart has some spray in irrigation saline. It's useful for a flush in the eyes or in random shit.
When considering superglue, have quick setting superglue, like the 10 second stuff or faster. Then also have the 1 minute super glue. 1 minute is good for final seals and shit on larger wounds and keeping stitched wounds sealed. 10 second is great for closing small cuts and the small blood vessels if requiring simple surgery. Cyano-acrylate loves water. Like, it solidifies on contact with blood and water. Use it smart-ly.

Most injuries are going to be minor shit that you don't want to see get bad. Very few times will you need a full blow out kit. But many times, if left untreated, the simple shit nobody complains about like blisters and cuts on the hands and feet can get bad fast. Duct tape, skin care shit like zinc oxide, sunscreen, etc, will be life savers.
>>
New thread
New thread

>>33211189
>>33211189
>>
requestan a good book on natural hunting and processing of hides for leather, if anyone is into that here.
>>
>>33174206
I don't have a plan. I don't want to be fighting off cannibals and looters so if the world is coming to an end I'm just going to set fire to my house and off myself
>>
>>33211229
No shit? I'd always figured they were copper, insulated, with maybe a steel tensioning cable.
>>
>>33209991
>If you can answer this: How long does gasoline last in a sealed container? google give me several answers.

My experience has been, between 6 months and a year. Sealed containers, fuel stabilizer added. I had an electric fuel pump and filter combo that I used to decant fuel into my vehicle.

Even so, I wound up having to replace the fuel pump on my vehicle because bad gas killed it.

Factors which may have had an effect;
-fuel containers were sealed, but stored outside.
-age of fuel and prior storage conditions were unknown.
-California fuel, so there was some percentage of ethanol involved
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.