[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Build your own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 1484626858365.jpg (159KB, 918x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1484626858365.jpg
159KB, 918x1090px
I am looking to build my first gun. I think it would be a good way to learn and possibly save some money. I am thinking of some kind of AR variant. Any advice or suggestions?
>>
File: PSA I made this.png (157KB, 436x1380px) Image search: [Google]
PSA I made this.png
157KB, 436x1380px
>>33003558
>>
Yeah, build an AR.
>>
File: 1479477826352.jpg (150KB, 694x461px) Image search: [Google]
1479477826352.jpg
150KB, 694x461px
>>33003558
>>>/diy/
>>
T U B E GUN
U
B
E

G
U
N
>>
>build my first gun
unlike building PCs I don't think you'll save comparably much.
It will certainly have to be an AR, otherwise what on earth would you be building?
>>
>>33003818
He could build an AK or FAL but neither of those are as easy to build as an AR
>>
>>33004004
I don't get the joke to be honest.
by building you mean assembling like >>33003573 that anon posted?

Or are we talking about drilling, filing, milling, all done by some goof in papa's garage?
>>
Get the right tools. You'll need to own them anyway to be able to work on your own gun. You will also be building more.

Also, don't be a fag and spend $100 on some memetastic flash supressor/brake. Get an A2 and save your money.
>>
>>33004033
AK's are by far more difficult to build. There is a fair amount of measuring, sanding, fittings and pressing. Some things like the receiver can be bought finished or if you want the challenge or fear the gubbamint you can buy a flat
>>
>>33003609
/k/ - Weapons
>>
>>33003558
>building my first gun
>AR variant
Okay, sounds good anon. Now this is very important: What state are you in? You have to be 21 to buy any firearm other than a complete rifle or a complete shotgun from an FFL. If you are under 21 you'll have to buy the lower privately or build from an 80%.
>>
>>33006647
>>33004033
>>33003558
In the grand scheme of things an AK isn't particularly challenging to build, but it is probably beyond your current skillset. You'll have to buy a prebent, cut holes, spot weld the rails, rivet/weld the trunnion, press in the populated barrel, and rivet/weld the rear trunnion.
An AR by comparison is pretty much legos. You don't even need any tools to get a perfectly functional lower.
>>
>>33004083

Strike Industries J-Comp is pretty fucking awesome at ~$27
>>
>>33006923

Sure, but I bought an A2 for $7.00 and spent the other $20 at Taco Bell on the way home from work.

Told the son to take out the garbage and walk the dog before he gets to eat. Garbage and dogs, done.

The daughter climbed into her booster seat and said "meat, meat, yum, yum, meat, meat" and gave me the kind of smile that only a daughter can give.

The wife didn't have to cook or do dishes so she brought me a glass of champagne, rubbed my feet and gave me a burrito flavored blowjob.

Can your J-comp do all of that? Because I could make an argument that my A2 did.
>>
File: xdd11002.jpg (50KB, 480x312px) Image search: [Google]
xdd11002.jpg
50KB, 480x312px
Consider using a standard fixed front sight base. They are the strongest and are pinned to the barrel. It limits your handguard choice somewhat, but lets you keep things simple and robust.

Consider a DD A1.5 rear sight. There really isn't a better fixed rear sight. Pic related.

The only reason to run flip sights front or rear is with magnified optics. If you want to spend the serious coin for good optics in the future, changing the sights is a minor issue.
>>
File: 0273.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
0273.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>33006685
Building from a flat is easy peasy, spot welding is a cinch and locating the rails is easily done with a drill bit and C-clamp. But none of that is nearly as simple as just bending the thing with a good jig.
>>
>>33006647
In some states it's illegal to mill 80 percent lowers unless you have a manufacturers licence
>>
>>33007639

why do you have a press in your living room
>>
>>33007678
This is if you're milling them with intent to sell.

If you mill it yourself with your "own" equipment I believe it's legal in all states
>>
File: plum74.jpg (110KB, 636x738px) Image search: [Google]
plum74.jpg
110KB, 636x738px
>>33008718
Because I was renting a one bedroom apartment when I was doing all my AK building.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.