[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 33

File: 1469404681624.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469404681624.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
/meg/ Military Enlistment Containment General
put up the op text edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Active duty 18D, hit me with questions if you have em.
Protip: if you want to kill people, at this point in time, go option40. Ranger batt is getting the highest amount of strike ops right now.
>>
>leaving for basic next week
>client systems for the airforce
hopefully this is a good choice
>>
File: 1484271918460.png (46KB, 572x685px) Image search: [Google]
1484271918460.png
46KB, 572x685px
>>32636675
>Active duty 18D
No offense but you gotta realize we're gonna want some proof mate.
Assuming youre real
You going career?
Is SF in general all its cracked up to be?
You glad you got Delta?
Hows the money?
General info and feelings about sf?
>>
>>32636720
Any type of real proof could lead back to me, which is obviously not ideal, so you can take what I say or not.

SF can be fucking awesome, or not that great. Depends on what is going on in the world, and what floats your boat. If you want to fuck around in SE Asia and travel, 1st group would be tits. If you want to kill people and live like a viking, 1st group would suck balls.

I'm def career, hit 11 years soon and current contract will run me into my 16 yr mark.

I chose delta, I'm glad I got it. It's a good skill to have. Makes you marketable. Everybody on every mission can always use a good medic.

Money is better than basically anywhere else(enlisted), minus assaulters in CAG, their pro pay is 3 times what ours is.

SF is what you make it. Like I said, experiences vary VASTLY. I know guys who have no combat deployments, and I also know guys who have over 4 years of time spent in Afghanistan on a ODA.

In the end, it does beat just about any other job. And if 3rd group is doing much fighting, I can tell you, not very many other people are doing much fighting.
>>
>>32636782
*if 3rd group is NOT doing much fighting...
>>
File: 1484233113724.jpg (105KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484233113724.jpg
105KB, 640x640px
>>32636782
>Any type of real proof could lead back to me
So? This already makes me think you arent SF. Youre allowed to tell people youre SF for fucks sake people have facebooks and instagrams that say theyre SF it doesnt matter.

Either way,
What made you stay SF instead of going CiF or CAG or any blackside spoopy groups?

Also

Most people say on here if you go SF your body will be completely fucked. Is that the case?
>>
>>32636821
And the guys who post that shit on facebook are
A) Violating USASOC's PA and opsec guidelines and
B) Are enormous faggots.

CIF is in SF. It is just another company. I went to CAG selection, it didn't work out. Got dropped after finishing it at the board. Sucked balls.

As far as your body being fucked, that's a yes and a no. If you spend 12 years doing SF shit, yeah, you're probably gonna be at least a little broke when you get out(sore ankles/knees/bad back/etc). If you come in as a 18X and get out without reenlisting, you can be completely fine. Some guys get fucked up in basic training, and other guys are SGM's in CAG that are still assaulters and crushing it. Body dependent.
>>
>>32636915
Hmmm ok this is interesting.
My situation is im prior service navy and thinking of trying to come in as an 18x.

Anyway,
No bullshit how much free time do you have?
Whats a normal work week like?
What do you actually due during a week?
Just workout and shoot?
>Got dropped after finishing it at the board
Can you say why? Or at least why didnt you go back?
Also I know about CiF, wondering why you didnt go for that?
>>
>>32636982
I've been in a CIF. Lifestyle is different there. Primarily more ammo for training, so while a regular ODA only gets to the range maybe several times a month or less, a CIF team get's range time tues-thurs typically.

Free time is dependent on the ops cycle. Typically everybody stays pretty busy, whether it's TDY training trips, personal schools, or team/company level training events. Its difficult to tell you an "average" day because honestly, there aren't a lot of them if you have a good team sergeant. You should be out doing some sort of training, maintenance, or tasking. That's not to say we don't bullshit around in the team room a good amount either.

It's not like the regular military where you come in just to come in. If there is legit nothing going on or to take care of, hopefully the team sgt lets everybody go and you're home by 10:30.

But like I said, there is always stuff that can be done. Crosstraining between MOS's is a big one for when there isn't anything "planned".
>>
>>32636982
And as far as selection, they don't tell you why you didn't get invited to training. They just tell you that they aren't inviting you to training. I haven't gone back because I have no idea why I didn't get picked up, if it was psych profile, personality, my face, etc....if it's something like that, going again wouldn't change a thing.
>>
>>32637095
>>32637132
Man this is all neat.
Ok lets change it up,
Tell me some negatives. What do you hate or want to change about SF?
>>
>>32637187
If we were doing 6-9 month long COMBAT trips where we were operating unilaterally or running a commando type host nation force with loose ROE's and aggressive GCC's, the job would be perfect...PERFECT. Give us a war and we will all collectively piss ourselves in excitement.
>>
>>32637213
Youre telling me the fact there isnt a war right now, thats the only drawback?
>>
>>32637272
Basically yeah. And that's the case for basically all the SOF combat guys...we miss the "good ole days". Since 2015 really it's been going downhill due to the lack of real conflict. I mean, teams here and there are getting their gun on, but it's not like it used to be.

Well and being away from your family, that can suck too, especially if you have kids. If you're single, shit, this job is awesome.
>>
what would be the better option as far as benefits, and sucking less, the national guard, air force reserve, or navy reserve?
Id like to become a LEO, would it best that I choose a relevant job, or would military experience be sufficient?
>>
File: SDC10938.jpg (4MB, 3648x2052px) Image search: [Google]
SDC10938.jpg
4MB, 3648x2052px
63B with 10 years in and 3 years between both shit holes.
>>
>>32637347
Why don't you just apply for the police academy?
>>
>>32637379
I have social anxiety, i'd like to wait a few years and get rid of it.
>>
>>32637313
OK well if you could choose any letter besides D what would it be and why?
Also if you could choose base to be stationed at which of the SF ones available is best?
Why?
>>
>>32637412
I'd also like to have experience and an education, to move up or get into federal law enforcement.
>>
>>32637313
What are your experiences/ opinion about Guard SF (if you have any, that is)?
>>
>>32636675

I got a question, what kind of MOSes you see coming into SOF? Is it mostly just infantry dudes?
>>
>>32637412
Reserve isn't gonna do jack shit for that. If anything, enlist for 4 years in the air force doing whatever the fuck. If anything, you'll be forced to be around people, you'll save some money(maybe), and hopefully get some skills under your belt. But for law enforcement, I'm assuming they would prefer a job that could transfer some sort of skill(MP, intel, infantry, medic)
>>32637423
Probably echo. Commo sucks and it's gay job, but it's marketable and a good skill to have. Charlies have to deal with property and inventories, fuck that. And bravos...not that special of a job. AKA I can pimp myself out to other teams if I want for missions if I am a medic or they need a commo guy. Also, as far as stations, Carson(10th) is probably the best location geographically, but as far as groups, it's hard to beat the battle tested and combat focused mindset of 3rd(Bragg)
>>32637452
Meh. Super meh.
>>32637455
It's a mix of people. 18x's, infantry, and then a variety(intel, truck driver, tanker)
>>
>>32637520
>Commo sucks and it's gay job
What makes you say that?
Cause if i get any type of dream sheet i was thinking of putting this.
Also about bragg,
If you actually got accepted into CAG woudl you have to transfer to bragg?
>>
>>32637555
Because commo is a thankless job until it fucks up, which it invariably does, then everybody is yelling at you to fix their radios. As a medic, I can stitch somebody up and know it's good to go. With commo, it just...fucks up. It's finnicky. But some people love electronics and commo shit. To each their own.

And yes, if you got accepted to CAG, of course you would have to move to Bragg.
>>
>>32637605
What's your language? How do you guys view SOT-As?
>>
>>32637605
>And yes, if you got accepted to CAG, of course you would have to move to Bragg.
Figured i just feel like living in NC would suck balls. Shitty state imo.
>>
>>32637520

Have you ever known someone who had to go through SFAS more than once?

Do you think an 18x is more or less valuable to the force than a dude coming over from big Army who passed selection?
>>
>>32637662
Where you live is irrelevant in that line of work. Your job is your life. You are married to it. Your family is your mistress.
>>32637654
Russian. SOT-A's are super good to have around as long as they aren't fuck ups or try-hards.
>>
>>32633126
Which languages would you say are the most difficult in general?
>>
>>32637717
>that line of work
Dont you mean this?
>Your job is your life. You are married to it. Your family is your mistress.
This is corny man.

Im really starting to doubt you.
>>
File: fdfd.jpg (280KB, 1060x810px) Image search: [Google]
fdfd.jpg
280KB, 1060x810px
If you ain't infantry, you ain't SHIT
>>
>>32637900
I'm not speaking in hyperbole when I say that if you're a team guy across the fence, your job is your life. Being a team guy on a ODA takes a heavy toll on family life. It doesn't even compare to being in CAG. When you reach that level you don't really give a fuck where you live, as long as you get to do the job.

And I give two fucks if you doubt me or not.
>>
File: 1483882397050.jpg (91KB, 640x801px) Image search: [Google]
1483882397050.jpg
91KB, 640x801px
just joined the army as a 35F. how fucked am I? any tips on getting through AIT?
>>
>>32638027
>It doesn't even compare to being in CAG
If you reach that level and its so taxing are you compensated for it somehow? Additional pays? If so how much?
>>
>>32638046
Reclass? Go HUMINT. And use the time stuck in Huachuca to slay that skanky intel poon. I'm pretty sure they issue female 35F's fake tits when they make E5.
>>32638071
1k/month SDAP, but nobody does it for the money.
>>
Hey /meg/ I have a question, what MOS in the Marine Corps is related to things like networking and setting up networks and things like that, I at least have a certification in networking. Willing to learn more.
>>
Ok, I did it
I started the process

I'm pretty drunk now
So tell me what I got into with trying to go officer route with my degree
>>
I have a friend who is nigh suicidal because he failed a pt test (new to unit) and is certain that he's not "in good standing," so there's no MGIB for his upcoming classes.

Both in same guard unit, haven't really talked to a readiness NCO and I'm sure he hasn't either. What can I tell him besides DON'T FAIL?
>>
>>32638126
And don't forget all the air matresses at Desperate Love Institute if you go for language training.
>>
If I go AF Reserve in an intel/logistics/support role, what are my chances of seeing a cool deployment during a single 6 year contract?
>>
>>32639199
Depends on the unit. Down here in Florida we have a rescue unit and special operations wing, so they do some neat things. But if you end up in a mobility wing or something, it'll be pretty bland.
>>
So when I enlisted in the Army, I brought my college transcripts along so I could get E-4 (yes, I graduated with a bachelors), but I haven't had my degree put on my ERB yet.
Would it be fairly safe for me to refrain from putting it on my ERB and instead try to get TA and more undergrad courses in a different field? I can't imagine that anyone's still tracking that I have a degree regardless of my rank.
>>
>>32639978
*do more undergrad courses
>>
>>32639978
>instead try to get TA
Are you implying you cant use TA if you already have a degree?
>>
>>32640008
You can't use it for a "lateral degree".
So, if you already have a BA in Basket Weaving, even if you paid for it yourself, you can't use TA to get a BS in Chemistry.
You can only go "up", e.g. an MA in Basket Weaving.
>>
>>32639978
You can try, but if they find out like your new school getting your transcripts and reporting that to the feds after you get awarded, then you'll have to pay back what you used.

>>32640047
Your grad program doesn't have to be in the field of your undergrad. If you do have to take more undergrad prerequisites then you'll have to cover that some other way. IMO just go to a cheap state school, they generally have a ton of ways to get the military in and out cheap.
>>
>>32638046
>how fucked am I?

Why would you be fucked?

>any tips on getting through AIT?

Pay attention in the class room, but realize that like every other MOS in every branch your training will really start when you get out of TRADOC.

There's a pretty good sushi place in Sierra Vista ran by an old Japanese guy who likes to run it at really weird hours, so check that out. There's also Pyramid Comics ran by an old SF guy in town that is pretty cool.

Oh yeah, general tip to save you from embarrassment because everyone new to the military does it: if you find yourself starting a sentence like "I'm basically infantry" or "My MOS is like infantry with..." stop.
>>
http://www.af.mil/Portals/1/documents/Policy%20Memo.pdf?ver=2017-01-10-100008-623
Does this mean I can get a wavier for asthma now?
>>
>>32640834
Can you not read? If you pass the test they give you you're fine.
>>
>>32640834
cant wait for someone to ruin tattoos
>>
>>32636675
How come you guys have the tougher selection and are considered the more elite group but then the Rangers get to do the fun stuff?
>>
>>32637347
Most common MOS in my police academy class was infantry.
>>
>>32641919
Different missions sets, different organization, it's like asking why PJs aren't doing the fun stuff, it's not their primary mission. Also for direct action stuff it's probably way easier to get a company of rangers on the way than a company of SF.
>>
>>32636627
pre-emptive pls respond.

I have a genital piercing(prince albert). Is this or is this not allowed? People say "if it's not visible, it's fine" but I have no idea how that holds up for things like nipple+misc and I'm not about to ask other people that I may see again.

I mean in regards to meps and basic. After basic, I know no one will really be seeing.
>>
>>32636714
>next week
I'll see you at meps, bruh
>>
>>32642019
No piercings on males at all.

Take it out for the physical and basic if you really must.
>>
Asked in the other thread but received no answer

My recruiter is pushing me towards electronic warfare but I'm not sure if it's worth it. What's 29 series like?
>>
>>32642038
>none at all
That's fine, I guess. I was going to do it anyway just in case. Hope it doesn't close up though. Was a 130 dollar piercing and an awkward conversation I'd rather not have again.
>>
File: emblem.jpg (60KB, 200x278px) Image search: [Google]
emblem.jpg
60KB, 200x278px
I'm at my freshman year in college right now and I'm doing Army ROTC. If I decide to follow through with it, I'm probably going to go Active. How is it being an officer? Does it depend on the MOS? Also, what's the likelihood of me getting deployed to a Middle-Eastern desert shithole for 2 years?
>>
>>32636714
>client systems
Enjoy working the help desk.

Always make sure that the computer is plugged in and the monitor is turned on when someone calls you to figure out why their shit don't work.
>>
>>32642067
>How is it being an officer?
Hope you like doing administrative bullshit.

>Does it depend on the MOS?
Nope. Always with the admin shit.

>what's the likelihood of me getting deployed to a Middle-Eastern desert shithole for 2 years?
Depends on if you want to. If you're a high-speed motherfucker and really want to go, you probably can. Otherwise chances are pretty low.

Just don't be a ROTC Nazi and think you're better than everyone. You're a fuckin butterbar. Nobody respects you until you prove you're not a worthless shitbag like every other ROTC graduate who thinks he's hot shit because he was in ROTC.
>>
File: 1437669583250.jpg (40KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
1437669583250.jpg
40KB, 550x366px
>>32642132
I try to be humble about it. I'm probably at the bottom of the ladder, at least of the males. I was never really athletic so I don't see myself being a high-speed kinda guy. A 3 mile ruck march killed me for a whole day. Hope to improve tho.

So if I don't get sent to a combat zone in the Middle East, I'm either gonna be at some base in the US doing admin work or at some base in another country doing the same shit?
>>
>>32642176

Dude the wars are over. We have like 5% of the amount of troops in the middle-east compared to 5-10 years ago. Your chances of getting stuck over there are very slim unless you volunteer for it.
>>
Why is the military full of far-left faggots these days?
>>
>>32641987
How often do SF get to do DA?
>>
>>32637605
>Because commo is a thankless job until it fucks up, which it invariably does, then everybody is yelling at you to fix their radios. With commo, it just...fucks up.
This is true in pretty much any electronics based job.

I'm an AT-O in Naval Aviation and always told the mech's I envied their jobs as how much easier they were troubleshooting wise. I got cross qualled as air framer and such and as I told the guys, if some structural breaks, a linkage breaks, a turbine cracks, etc. you know what you have to do to fix it. You have steps, procedures, know what peices you have to replace, and the like and you know it is going to fix the problem.

Electronics/Avionics.... you can do everything right and still be praying the P.O.S. turns on and does what it's supposed to.
>>
>>32642067
>If I decide to follow through with it, I'm probably going to go Active.

That's not your choice. You have to compete for active duty slots. These days, less than half of ROTC grads will get active duty.
>>
>>32638046
Yo I'm looking for that same job bud, did you qualify for any bonuses? ???
>>
>>32642067
You should do more research on how ROTC works and the conflicts around the world.
>>
>>32641944

That's because infantry is the largest individual MOS, second largest branch in the Army, and has few job prospects that actually align with their service.
>>
>>32642041
>My recruiter is pushing me towards electronic warfare but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What branch and what specifically is the MOS?

If it's Army and Electronic Warfare Repair tech or whatever, have fun at Ft. Huachuca washing out of the school and walking down the street to delta company as a 35F.
>>
>>32643777

E-War is not an initial accession MOS in the Army, and is not taught at Huachua. You're thinking of intelligence systems maintainers.
>>
>>32643777
Army 29E probably. I'm asking about EW in general, is it worth going into or is it bullshit with an attractive name like nuke?
>>
>>32643851

It's one of those capabilities that we very rarely use unless we're up against a sophisticated adversary. That means you're not going to have much going on, just like CBRN/ADA, unless we get into a conflict where we actually have to defend against electronic warfare.

They're also considering rolling 29E into cyber branch.
>>
>>32643879
What does EW do, really? There isn't much info about the actual stuff they do
>>
>>32643921

A lot of stuff goes into it, but it's basically manipulation of the electronic spectrum to cause an effect, and defending your own tech to prevent others from doing it.

The most simple example would be something like radio jamming. That's an application of electronic warfare.

A lot of people get confused because there are a lot of Army jobs that work with tech in different capacities. A 25-series is maintains communication signals, a 35-series can use them to collect intelligence, and a 17-series can use them for cyber warfare. A 29-series is concerned with the use of the spectrum.
>>
File: 207.jpg (281KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
207.jpg
281KB, 1600x1064px
Is it retarded that I want to sign up for the military just for the hell of it?
I obviously like the benefits, career opportunities, doors it can open for education and so on, but really I just want to say I was in the military. I want the camaraderie and the stories and all the experiences of it
>>
>>32644010
Are you a fatass and do you have a branch/job in mind?

If you don't answer "No" to the first question and "Yes" to the second, your desire may be retarded.
>>
>>32644026
no, im in good shape. I go to the gym 4 times a week. Im thinking Army primarily, then maybe navy/airfoce are at a tie for second option. I need to finish school first, but in another year and a half ill be done and want to sign up
>>
>>32644010
in my experience, there are 5 types of people who join the military
>psychopaths and future serial killers
>those with no education/future and are looking for a way out
>those looking continue their education or use the benefits to help push their careers in something else
>die hard patriots who love god and country and want to be soldiers for the sake of being a soldier
>those with family that have served for generations and want to keep the tradition going (or have to against their will)
>>
File: 1462938492001.jpg (50KB, 600x427px) Image search: [Google]
1462938492001.jpg
50KB, 600x427px
Redpill me on 1A8X2
>>
>>32644037
It doesn't seem like a terrible idea then.

Start looking into jobs in the military that line up well with your background.
>>
File: IMG_4769.png (117KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4769.png
117KB, 600x360px
What are the worst jobs in the military?
>>
>>32644177
IT DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON THE INDIVIDUAL
>>
Does anyone in the army care if I memorize these stupid creeds?
>>
>>32644239

It will make your life easier in training environments if you memorize them. After you get out of training, the next time you will run into them is probably for promotion boards. Depending on how strict the promotion board is, not knowing your creeds could prevent you from getting recommended to E-5 and E-6.
>>
>>32644108
thats thing, I really just want to be a solider. 82nd Airborne, 10th mountain, rangers, cavalry, ect.
Im already learning what I want for a career in school, I want to be an army man
>>
>>32644460

>I really just want to be a solider.

You have no idea what that entails. 80 % of soldiers don't actually do what you think of when you think "soldier". The average soldier works in an office and barely touches a rifle.

Of the guys you're thinking of (infantry, mainly), the majority of them are sitting around waiting for the next war to start.

Unless you go SOF (successfully), you're probably not going to get the experience you're thinking of.
>>
>>32644486
>The average soldier works in an office and barely touches a rifle.
That is to be expected since running a military of our size requires a lot of people in administration roles.
>>
>>32636627
So /k/. I'm an european. In fact, I'm living in one of the many shitholes of europe. I got bored of it, and since I was 15-16, I wanted to serve as a soldier. Not because "it would be cool" or I can't get a job, but because I wanted to do something. Something that can save lifes, that cat me some respect, that could help me to grow upn ge. My dream was to become the part of a Special Force. That was the time I knew, that I have to apply to another country's millitary (I'm hungarian btw). My plan is to get a green card, and serve In the US Armed Forces until I get my US citizenship, then I could work my way up to get elected into a Special Force. And this is where I need your help /k/. Can I get choosen to become a Ranger/Seal etc. if I didn't born in the US, but I'm a legal US citizen? If yes, what disatvantages would I have against someone, who born in the US, for example, they prefer native US citizens? Would I be treated equally to these people? Can I get higher, like joining the Delta Force for example, as an ex-foreigner? Anyone here who knows a not US born special force operator? Please /k/, I need your h.elp
>>
>>32644924https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_Törni

You'll enjoy reading about this man. Finn who served in the SS and after the war came to the us and served in the us army special forces.
>>
>>32644924

You can do 99% of jobs in the US military once you have citizenship. Getting citizenship is pretty easy if you can enlist.

Enlisting is the tricky part, you do need that green card and that can take years and years unless you're marrying in.
>>
>>32644983
I know, the green card part "scares" me the most, but I'll do anything to achive my plans. Also, thanks for the information.

>>32644966
That was a good read, and also really informative. Thanks
>>
>>32644051

I am a mix of 1, 4, and 5
>>
>>32644051
What if I just want to do something fun?
>>
>>32645212

Work a white collar job, then pay to go shooting or skydiving like everyone else.
>>
How to pass a military PT test, the day of the test if you are borderline pass/fail from someone who learned the hard way. Get at least 5 hours of sleep. You can get by with 4 but 5 is good for a short energy burst. Drink water but take sips every once in while. You don't want to run with a camel pack worth of water in your stomach. Taking a pre work out of some type is must because PT tests are first thing in the morning and you have to jump start your heart rate. Taking the test while your body is waking up kills your endurance. Don't panic on the run. Keep a calm pace in the middle of the pack. If you worry about your speed too much you will gas out but that said if you are still on a passing time the first mile it pushes you through. Nothing is worse than a bad mile time, you already failed.
>>
>>32645408
>Get at least 5 hours of sleep.

So, uh, not sleeping 4 hours a night is pretty much a good idea regardless of what you're doing the next day, but especially if any part of what you're doing the next day involves the word "test".
>>
>>32645408
Do not take pre workout
>>
>>32636675
How was SOCM?

How do I need to prepare/(68w Opt 40)
>>
18x who got hurt and reclassed to 92y, currently doing supply for a line company at a Special Forces unit.

AMA
>>
>>32645636
Breh he's not lurking anymore. Are you waiting to go to basic still? How far along are you?
>>
>>32645664
Yeah, I don't even have a contract yet, I'm waiting to finish up my degree.

Just curious about what preparations I should go through because SOCM is the most worrying for me.
>>
>>32645212
option 4 fits that. Maybe 1, depending on what you consider fun
>>
>>32645680
What degree are you getting?
The best answer for 95% of Special ops stuff is this

Be in very good shape
Don't be an asshole
Be decently smart
Don't quit

That's really all you need anon
>source
One of my closest friends is 11B ranger
Tons of my friends are 11B airborne
I'm a 92y at an SF unit and am surrounded by team dudes constantly.
>>
File: 1482899077996.jpg (2MB, 2048x1371px) Image search: [Google]
1482899077996.jpg
2MB, 2048x1371px
Hey /k/, question for you.. My understanding is that U.S. Marine Corps cutoff age is 29. Does that mean if you're past your 29th birthday you cannot enlist? Or after your 30th?
>>
>>32643477
I meant go for it, yeah. My GPA is fair, my physical ability is lacking tho. Trying to get better.
>>
>>32645796
Human Biology, it's usually a Pre-Med degree, and I plan on climbing the medicinal ladder after the service so.

Team guys cross train a lot right? That is so interesting to me, because learning about as much stuff as possible while I'm in is definitely one of the biggest motivators for me.

Will I have some good opportunities to learn other MOS's/etc while I'm in? I realize this is a hard question for you to answer because this is largely dependent on Batt life, and how your leadership is.

But if you could shed any light, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>32645650
Were you born gay? Or did your stepfathering raping you turn you gay?
>>
File: 1483008793311.jpg (261KB, 1517x891px) Image search: [Google]
1483008793311.jpg
261KB, 1517x891px
>>32645889
anyone plox
>>
>>32644051

W-what about if I'm a beta and I joined the military in the hopes it would make me more alpha and less socially shit?
>>
>>32645913
Bro. Please do not sell yourself short with 68w. If you DONT end up in a SOF unit, or at an airborne unit that is ACTUALLY deploying, you're not going to have a real job. I've got 2 friends who are 68w, on got stuck helping in the supply room because her unit doesn't do anything(1st infantry division), the other just goes to the field and is super bored.

If you're looking to do ACTUAL medical stuff, look at the medical jobs with the wayyy longer AIT, that or go officer.

Team guys cross train a little? But they're expected to be subject matter experts on their jobs first and foremost.

You've got the possibility to get stuck with other MOS's jobs at times, but you literally have no incentive to do it 90% of the time. You're not getting a certificate in it... you're not getting extra pay... you MIGHT remember a little of how to "do it"

68w also doesnt set you up to do much of ANYTHING within the medical field.
>>
>>32646017

My bro got sent to Maryland to help with research there. So he could wind up in one of those R A R E postings.

Other than that, couldnt he also wind up in a hospital unit?
>>
>>32645937
Here is your reply
>>32646000
This just isn't me, but okay
>>32646035
So are you pretending to be me(92y guy)? Orrrr
What's his MOS? 68w?

Those guys can end up pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>32646017
Yeah you're absolutely right. I considered IPAP, which is the Army PA program. It looks great but I am unsure of the ability to get into Regiment while being a PA.

That is my dilemma, I want to be high speed, but also have some serious education and experience in medicine. Which is why I seriously considered 68w Opt 40 so that I could attend SOCM.

http://havokjournal.org/national-security/inside-the-special-operations-combat-medic-course/

A writeup of it, if people are unfamiliar.
>>
>>32646060

I was the dude who wound up as 19D, didnt know you were still lurking so ill remove the name
>>
File: 1484411520134s.jpg (2KB, 125x116px) Image search: [Google]
1484411520134s.jpg
2KB, 125x116px
>>32643508
$10,000 sign on bonus.
>>
>>32646072
Ahhh I see your hesitancy. I don't usually recommend 18x, since there are so many variables and 11b is kinda a shit job for when you get out of the army. But 18D is SUCH a great job and the training you get/schools is "high speed"

Dude the PA program is very legit from what I've heard. That would be my recommendation. They've totally got those guys at battalion, but I would think it would be kinda hard to get there as one.

What are you like PT wise?
>>32646089
Oh shit! What's going on man?? You missing SFC Guiseman?

When did you get reclassed?
>>
>>32644051
You forgot:

>those that are actually interested in the career field they select and want firsthand experience

Most people I meet like this are in the medical corps, especially emergency physicians and trauma surgeons that come from a complete civilian education.
>>
>>32646123
>SFC Guiseman

Got reclassed after OSUT bud, I was a pt failure, I think you got a little farther than me

Theres a SPC. Baker here with us who was a 21 day nonselect tho, if you know him.
>>
Hey /k/, what kind of degrees i need to get selected to the US SOF? Also, can I get these degrees while in the army, or do I have t get them before?
>>
I want to join the military, and I want to kill shit. I don't want to sit around for 4 years washing rocks or sitting on my ass in Kuwait or some gay shit, where do I go?
>>
>>32646179
that falls in line with the third option
>>
>>32646246
>what kind of degrees i need
None, Ahmed. Just be good at endurance exercises.
>>
File: 1484197509152.jpg (16KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484197509152.jpg
16KB, 480x480px
>>32645889
does anyone know the answer to this
>>
18D anon from last night here
Lemme clear some stuff up

>>32646072
Dude, do what you are passionate about. If you want to be highspeed and shoot people in the face, just go opt 40 11B. If you want to do something medical AND highspeed, go opt 40 68W or 18X. If you really just want to do medical only, go PA. What kind of lifestyle/job do you want?

>>32646123
11B is a awesome job if you want to fight.
TO ANYBODY CONSIDERING 18X
>if you do not want to be an 11B, or are scared of being a 11B, DO NOT GO 18X. There are two MOS's in the army that can earn a CIB...11 series, and 18 series. In the end, they both ideally are out getting into TICs and shooting people.

>>32645680
SOCM is a lot of studying, and a lot of hands-on. You'll be busy, but as long as you study and put in the hours after class to pass all the exams, you should be good to go. Just dedicate yourself to it and you'll be fine. If you fuck off and don't put any real effort into it, then you will fail.

>>32645796
>That's really all you need anon
Yeah anon, just be smart, physically fit, don't get hurt, and don't quit. Simple.
>>
>>32646249
Like I said earlier in the thread.
Come in opt40 as 11B and don't fail. I promise you that in ranger batt you will be given more opportunities to kill somebody in 4 years than anywhere else in the military.
>>
>>32638126
will I be seen as weird if I get my degree before going 11x op 40?
Will it just be a waste of 4 years and lots of money?
>>
>>32646192
You make it to airborne?
>>32646286
When I went through in the summer they weren't sending anyone to selection, just keeping us in Student Company, if you quit, got hurt, or didn't get selected, as a 18x you got Reclassed OUT of 11b. Guys were BEGGING branch to keep them infantry. No luck. I saw firsthand 300-500 guys get reclassed. Every job you can think of.

What group are you in? 10th here.
>>
>>32646249
Go army and go 88m or petroleum specialists high speed
>>
Graduated from Parris Island yesterday, ask me anything
>>
35M at AIT. Will I end up being able to reclass a year after I get stationed after DLI? Or will they tell me to fuck off because of all the training put into me?

I don't know if 35M is overstrength but they're basically maxed out in terms of people they can train at one time, so a year from now I hope they will be.
>>
>>32646404

Nah. I got discouraged by how unprepared I was when I got to 11b OSUT and my platoon just ragged on me for not being squared away or physically fit to the level an 18x ought. Got depressed and just started making excuses not to PT in the off time and eventually just wanted out of the program entirely.

They sent me to Airborne Hold for about 3 months and forgot about us (the other dudes who couldnt make 240) before we got reclassed to 19D. Got to see my company and a whole bunch of other dudes go onto SOPC and Airborne though. Really depressing time but also got to meet alot of high speed and highly motivated dudes.

Couldnt imagine what it would be like to go through SFAS and then Q course and get fucked though. You think you'll retry?
>>
What can everyone tell me about MCT? Do I need to bring EVERYTHING I brought back from boot camp? I have two c bags full of shit. Also what if I suck at land nav, do they give us a quick review? Me and my buddy literally just wandered the BWT area and found our boxes
>>
>>32645733
Which one is the most dangerous? That would be the funniest option.
>>
>>32646580
Have the deaths of the recent marines changed anything? What MOS? What was your favorite part? Worst part?
>>
>>32646586
Yeah I think as long as your insistent on wanting to reclassed, you'd be able to.

>>32646600
Damn, sounds like a rough time.

Probably won't retry. I love my battalion and company. I wear civilian clothes every day to work and only wear a uniform when I need to go to S4/PBO. So realistically I only wear a uniform for 1-10 hours a week. I would tell you more about my company, but OPSEC...

I'm going to pick up SGT in a year and a half, and my ETS is may 2020, so I'm just gonna chill and get out.
The thought to go back to selection is definitely there though
>>
>>32646698
People would Crack jokes about the kid who jumped off third deck, a kid had a seizure and died during my cycle (different platoon) so there were investigations and stuff and we would get interviewed by the series commander throughout training yo make sure we're not being mistreated. You still get IT'd, screamed at, and DIs would find ways to circumvent the new rules and stuff. Like during the night movement courses during BWT and the crucible we would be told by the field training instructors and even the company commander that it's too cold and don't crawl through the water. So I walked through the water before going into a low crawl and I just hear a DI say "tryna be slick and skip the water, huh? Yeah right, go back." And I dove into the water.
I can't remember a favorite or worst part, it all sucked equally. Favorite part was getting back from the crucible and getting my EGA. I cried a lot in the beginning and stopped at around week 3 or 4, after that letters from family never made me cry, but the ceremony just broke me.
I hated drill, too. MCMAP was dumb as well.
They don't rush you and fuck with you in the chow hall anymore. DIs will tell you to hurry and be quick, but everyone eats. I definitely had it easier than the marines before me. My crucible was cold and we hiked back in cold weather and rain hitting us in the face.
>>
>>32646675
You sound like such a tryhard faggot
>>
>>32646771
so what's your job?
>>
>>32646814
2800 electronics maintenance
>>
>>32646586

If 35M isn't overstrength, you can still reclass via a packet MOS.

That said, everyone thinks they wanna reclass in AIT, most people change their minds.
>>
>>32646771
>Crying
Not even once.
>>
>>32646854
Hey to each his own. I was wasting my life before I went to boot camp, I never had a job before and I had it real easy. The point of boot camp is to break you down and build you back up, and it did just that. I was a pussy, PI made me a man.
>>
>>32646749
>The thought to go back to selection is definitely there though

Yeah. Its difficult to personally respond to it.
>>
>>32646849
I like the training environment in the army so far, but I picked 35M for DLI, a TS, and to ship to basic in a reasonable time frame. I wasn't interested in the job at all, although the skill set I'm picking up is nice to have.

Realistically I wanted 35Q, it just wasn't an option at the time.
>>
File: 1446900190021.png (27KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
1446900190021.png
27KB, 211x246px
Got conscripted 2 weeks ago. When I was there I wanted to go home so bad. I got my first weekend off and it felt like leaving prison, but now it's been a day and I already want to go back.

Feels fucking weird man.
>>
>>32646586
Which branch is the whiniest at DLI?
>>
>>32646948
I'll let you know when I get there in a couple months.
>>
>>32643752
Yeah I think any military background will get you into an academy if you're not a shit bag. However if you're infantry you'll get more brownie points with the SWAT and tactical training guys.
>>
What do people do with their free time in the Navy?
>>
>>32647092
Jack off
>>
>>32646948
Army most likely.
None of us are allowed to drink at all, and some of the companies you can be assigned to are overly restrictive and like to waste your time, and of course people whine about that.
I imagine that our course failure rates are somewhat higher than average as well because we don't give anyone a say in what language they have to learn. A lot of guys are unmotivated when it comes to their studies. You hear a lot of that kind of whining as well, especially from the 35Ms.
>>
File: plasticines_interview_c.jpg (20KB, 320x322px) Image search: [Google]
plasticines_interview_c.jpg
20KB, 320x322px
>>32646924

Finlan?
>>
What enlistment options are available for a 20 y.o. with very good standardized test scores (haven't taken the ASVAB, considering it)?
Am willing to get moderately /fit/

Is Chair Force still a goldmine for nerds?
>>
>>32646580
I go to MCRD San Diego in two months.

Any boot camp tips that aren't so common?
Also what can I expect that wouldn't differ very much between SD and PI?
>>
>>32647121
>none of us are allowed to drink at all
Kill me now.

That's one thing I'm not liking about the Army. As long as I show up sober and my studies don't suffer, I don't see where they get off determining that I can't drink.
>>
>>32647163
Boot is about wasting your time and forcing you to suffer working alongside undisciplined and unintelligent comrades.

Just focus on passing the time, and don't let the rest of your platoon get on your nerves too much.
>>
>>32646353
nobody will give a fuck if you have a degree or not. Do it if you want. Won't really matter. It won't help you though.
>>32646404
That sucks about reclass. Hopefully that changes soon. 3rd.
>>32646600
You def did not belong there, not trying to be a dick, just don't think that you got fucked unfairly.

Food for thought:
Yes, you learn a lot in training and you learn a lot about yourself. In the end though, the process is there to take the men who belong, and weed out those that do not. If you think you might be too young, guess what...you probably are.

>>32646771
>cried
fag
>>
>>32647216
You'd be surprised how many people got absolutely hammered before bedcheck formation in my AIT. NCO's really do not care much as long as you aren't essentially dying or unconscious.
>Noticing and reporting= more paperwork and reprimanding by superiors. Liberally apply this attitude to all aspects of the Army
>>
>>32647242
Hmm, don't like the sound of that, but I know I'll make it.

How much running is there cause I fucking hate running
>>
>>32647144
Army's Military Intelligence branch is pretty solid
>>
>>32647287
Can I get a little more detail than that? I don't trust a recruiter to give it to me straight
>>
>>32647216
TRADOC actually gives the BC/commandant here authority to sign an annual expemtion to policy for alcohol use.
They just haven't done so in a while in a because they're cunts.
>>
>>32647246

I didnt belong in the SF pipeline or 11b? Because I graduated 11b and finished all of that.

As far as the SF pipeline, sure. But I dont think that waiting a bit to mature out a little and trying for it when I have more experience is too out of the question.
>>
>>32647450
I mean you weren't physically fit or squared away after basic training and OSUT(which I fail to understand how that is even possible) and instead of getting fit and squaring yourself away you got depressed and quit working out. Does that sound like a SF "quiet professional"?
>>
>>32647551

Not at all. But do you think that that kind of mindset could be unlearned?

>I fail to understand how that is even possible

Are you a civillian or currently serving?
>>
File: air force.png (352KB, 372x484px) Image search: [Google]
air force.png
352KB, 372x484px
>>32647144
Air Force is a goldmine for overweight sassy black women. If you want to be surrounded by that, go ahead.
>>
>>32647598
Yeah mindsets can be changed no doubt. I am active duty.
>>
>>32647287
Read up on all the 35 series mos's and see what calls you
>>
>>32647309
>>32647785
meant to reply
>>
>>32647277
The military in general (correctly) views running as the most important physical ability
>>
>>32647309
Look into 35F, 35Q, and to a lesser degree 35N if you just want to be a nerd.
>>
Does anyone know about transferring DLI to college credits? I've heard it can go pretty far toward a bachelor's in your language.
>>
>>32648052
What about 35M?
>>
>>32642019
>got a piercing on your dick
for what purpose dude? why even
>>
>>32648143
I'm in 35M. It's a pretty social MOS, not very nerdy and not at all cool guy.

Any specific questions though?
>>
>>32648234
What do you do basically?
>>
>>32648234
Is it possible to do something that's both cool yet nerdy though? Seems to me that nerd MOS are cushy white collar stuff
Not the guy you responded to by the way
>>
>>32637374
>63B
How is vehicle maintenance and readiness tracked at unit level?

What do you mostly work on and which vehicles suck least and most?
>>
>>32648361

Am a nerd in a cushy white collar job and I think my job is cool as fuck. I'd rather do this than sleep out in a desert shithole with a rifle any day. YMMV.
>>
>>32647656
>Air Force is a goldmine for overweight sassy black women. If you want to be surrounded by that, go ahead.

Not in aircraft maintenance or anything seriously technical. Sheboons are rare and usually stored where they won't bother anybody, like tech order monitor or other details.

The whole Chair Force isn't full of Welfare Queens by a long shot. They localize in Supply and Admin jobs which no sane enlistee would want to do anyway.
>>
>>32648388
>tfw I'm a pasty weeb fuck yet sleeping out in a desert shithole with a rifle sounds like my dream job
Too bad I'm introverted, I'd probably get hazed/have a hard time fitting in since combat arms seems full of a-type personalities
>>
>>32647216
The old time booze culture in the military was a fucking disaster and made many an alcoholic. G.I.s aren't good at managing booze and get exceptionally stupid in groups. Sucks for the responsible ones but if booze is genuinely important to you, you have a problem.
>>
File: Athfepthemarines.png (390KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Athfepthemarines.png
390KB, 853x480px
>>32636627
>not posting the one where they actually join the marines
>>
>>32647144
AF retired here. There's plenty to do without working next to LaQueefa. If nerdy, try an avionics or other aviation electronics field. The more techy it is, the whiter and nerdier it is. The more valuable the equipment you work on, the better your life is in general. Would gleefully do again. Retired in 2007.

Not that war isn't brutal for maintainers. The air conditioner on my tent broke during Desert Storm and was down for most of a day until CE replaced it. The horror...
>>
>>32644010
>Is it retarded that I want to sign up for the military just for the hell of it?

Not if you are willing to put in the work. Why not be curious? Do it after researching jobs based on your interests and natural aptitudes. There's something for everybody.
>>
>>32643851
If you want to work on EW/ECM and related equipment as your primary job, join the Air Force, not the Army. AFSCs change periodically so visit forums like f16.net and ask around. Pod shop is interesting and working in secured areas means even less than the minimal bullshit during exercises.
>>
>>32642387
>Electronics/Avionics.... you can do everything right and still be praying the P.O.S. turns on and does what it's supposed to.

That's what I enjoyed about avionics but everyone's different.
>>
Enlisted in the Air National Guard last month, 3d0x2 (cyber systems operations) -> 1b4x1 (cyber warfare operations). They are trying to send us directly from BMT to tech school so it'll take a few months at least to sort out the dates and get an interim clearance, which is good because I am in the middle of school right now and also I'm an out of shape dough boy who is can't run 2 miles in under 20 minutes. Gotta hit the gym!
>>
>>32637953
>i was an e4 infuntry soldier who now sits at home shitposting on a taiwanese turtle growing forum and using muh gi bill to go to community college
>>
Can I still start with E-4 rank in the US Army, if i got my academic degree in Hungary, as a hungarian citizen, and only then become a legal US citizen?
>>
>>32648866
>I'm an out of shape dough boy who is can't run 2 miles in under 20 minutes
Good blog post fat boy
>>
>>32649862
Why not shoot for a commission?
>>
I'm interested in joining the military (United States)

I'm looking at starting in the reserves, either Army or Navy, and I have a few questions.

At what point is it too late to go back? Obviously; the idea is to see it through, but if I turn out to be a soft little bitchboy, at what point is it too late to give up? Can you drop out of basic training, or is it too late? specifically when is it too late.

Also, can a reserve choose to go active duty? I figure I'll either be a little bitch and thank god its only 2 weeks, a year +Weekends, or think it's fucking awesome and want to commit full time? Is it possible to enlist in reserves, then decide to active?
>>
>>32650225
You gotta be a real bitch to quit out during basic, but you can do it. I saw one girl quit out during reception, and we had a few other females quit during basic. If you make it through basic, and still want out, you can still get out during AIT.

You can go active as reserves, but it's a lot harder to nowadays. It's quite a process from what I hear. Better to just commit to AD
>>
>>32646102
I'm looking to sign the dotted line next Tuesday, maybe we'll see each other in Arizona!
>>
>>32643850
>You're thinking of intelligence systems maintainers.

When I was at Huachuca in 2007 they called it EW Systems Repair. I saw the orders of one of the kids I was in basic with who had to walk down to Delta and join our class.
>>
File: postpic2.jpg (112KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
postpic2.jpg
112KB, 720x540px
>>32645994
>>32646279

You can enlist at 29. I served with a guy who did so (pic related, left). Just be aware that you are going to be around a lot of stupid 19-22 year olds. The USMC is by far the youngest branch. Now stop worrying and get to a recruiter
>>
>>32650225
>I'm looking at starting in the reserves
Don't.

>Is it possible to enlist in reserves, then decide to active?

Possible: Yes.

Probable: Very heavy no.
>>
>>32650479

33W is what you're thinking of, but it was deprecated in favor of 35T.
>>
>>32638190
>>
>>32646580
Any recommendations on what to do/bring/preparations?
I wanna grunt it up but I wanna be close to the water
>>
>>32652236
i was 0311 in the usmc. you wont bring shit but your license and your recruiters card. also you will end up on a ship at some time , so there's that
>>
>>32648052
What about 35G?
>>
>>32652476
>also you will end up on a ship at some time
How was that?
How was being 0311 in general?
>>
>>32653192

Not him but I was on a MEU in 2010 and ship life fucking sucked, especially as a grunt boot. I was on a MEU in 2010. There was a 3 month period in which we did nothing but float off the horn of Africa in river city 1 (absolutely no communication allowed, no phones or internet) with no port calls. We had a bunch of delta, seals, and air force PJs onboard our ship running missions into Somalia and elsewhere day and night. Some real spook shit. We werent even allowed up on the flight deck. We started to go really stir crazy cooped up on that ship with nothing to do. Luckily they kicked us off the ship after a while and sent us to D'jibouti to crosstrain with the French Foreign Legion and then to Jordan to train the jordanian Army, and then we went to Afghanistan for 5 months. It ended up being a 10 month deployment.

I would rather live in a mud hut in Afghanistan than live on a navy ship anyday.
>>
>staying awake during BCT

How did you guys do it? I'm not trying to be a bf for nodding off uninentionally
>>
>>32653733
i kept MRE gum to keep myself awake when i was in boot camp
>>
File: EYES.jpg (10KB, 236x245px) Image search: [Google]
EYES.jpg
10KB, 236x245px
>>32653733
ranger drops
>>
can i get in trouble for taking cold medication right before i leave for basic?
>>
>>32653824
prob not, but getting your entire class sick is prob a good way to get your ass kicked
>>
>>32653850
yeah this was the worst time for me to get sick, im pissed
>>
>>32653861
Everybody gets sick at boot camp anyway dont worry about it.
>>
>>32653880
This
Youre pretty much guaranteed to get pink eye and some type of common cold/flu at least once.
>>
>>32653880
>>32653904
so im definitely not going to get in trouble if i start taking something now?
>>
File: holy.png (263KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
holy.png
263KB, 661x716px
Is that E3 pay worth the extra 2 years
>>
>>32653990
???
What kind of funky contract do you have?
Most offer a 1 year extra and you get E4. Never heard of 2 more for E3. That sounds like an awful fucking deal.
>>
>>32653990
>>32654031

Are other branches so shitty that they actually offer you rank in exchange for extra contract years as an enlistment incentive?
>>
File: 1430995266617.png (37KB, 807x662px) Image search: [Google]
1430995266617.png
37KB, 807x662px
>>32654031
>>32654072
The man said if I took 2 extra years I would start as an E3
>>
>>32654072
>Are other branches
What branch are you in moron? We dont know what you mean by other. Also thats called an incentive, how is it a sign of shittyness?
>>
>>32654085
>The man
What branch and what contract you moron, give us some info for fucks sake.
>>
File: 1469583485856.jpg (200KB, 640x869px) Image search: [Google]
1469583485856.jpg
200KB, 640x869px
>>32654098
Chairforce
I haven't signed anything though
>>
Looking to join Aus Army as a GSO in either Infantry or Armoured corps. Any anons here spent time as an officer in either of them? If so what was it like, how was the training and got any general advice to not be a shit Lt?
>>
>>32654125
Thats a stupid picture.
Youre also stupid for not telling my the job you want even though i asked.
Still it makes sense. The chair force has the slowest advancement by far cuase its so easy that no one gets out. I recommend growing up and choosing another branch.
>>
someone redpill me on 0311?
>>
>>32654090

I was a muhreen and they definitely didnt offer rank as an incentive higher than e2 (which still had to be earned by something like college credits or recruiting referrals, not just given in exchange for an extra year time), especially not e4. e-4 typically takes 3-4 years to make and has a lot of responsiblity, ive even see e-3s serve as squad leaders. The idea that other branches give out e-3 and e-4 as recruiting incentives is ludicrous to me.

And to that guy who was asking, definitely dont do two extra years for e-3. Its not worth it at all.
>>
>>32654154
You do know that the Corps youre allocated to at the end of training is based on merit, right? So if you're a shit cunt you can end up RAOC.
>>
>>32654555
Yeah, any suggestions on how not to be a shit cunt inadvertently?
>>
>>32654381
if you have to be convinced, it's not for you
>>
>>32654381
infantry in peace time is the stupidest thing you can possibly do

go airforce and reap the bene's
>>
>>32654564
>if you have to be convinced, it's not for you
its not about convincing. i just wanna know from the horses mouth and not the stuff a recruiter is gunna try to feed me.
>>
>>32653688
It sounds like it was shit at the moment but a good story in retrospect
>>
Can someone tell me what MCT is like? Is the PT any harder than boot camp? Are there obstacle courses? What all do I need to bring?
>>
Can Navy inyelligence(CTR) deploy with seals? What do you have to do in order to do stuff with them?
>>
>>32637662
>Figured i just feel like living in NC would suck balls. Shitty state imo.

Don't live in a shit zone right near the base and NC is no problem. I did Pope for three years until the F-16s left and lived in Gray's Creek. Still have my ten acres, will likely sell it next year since I live in SC. I would have retired in NC but after many years near Shaw AFB I'm better positioned here.
>>
>>32638798
>What can I tell him besides DON'T FAIL?

Talk to the readiness NCO and stop being a fucking uncommunicative moron!

The way to get the best out of a military career is to motherfucking engage all your resources and build a network of people you know so you'll have assistance. Just like the civilian world!
>>
What's the new opat thing? Private news network tells me it's just for new recruits, that true? We keep the apft if we're already in right?
>>
>>32656672

Yes, but that kind of stuff only usually opens up after you've proven yourself in your first contract.
>>
>>32656772

OPAT = The Army's way to do the "universal genderless standard" that everyone wants so we can have female infantry.

Right now it's only planned to be used to screen people before they join. There are no plans to have people already in the military do the OPAT, but that could change one day.
>>
>>32654072
>Are other branches so shitty that they actually offer you rank in exchange for extra contract years as an enlistment incentive?

That's not shittiness, that's resource management since a six-year enlistee is more likely to go career.
>>
>>32654125
Chair Force retired here. Great for career, keeping in mind that most careers are spend at peace, not war.

You are being a dumbass for not posting the fucking jobs you are considering. Do not go into any service on a general enlistment.

Also post your interests. It's really hard to help people who refuse to communicate. You'd best unlearn that habit before enlisting anywhere!
>>
>>32656792
If it's genderless but there's a standard, I don't think women can meet it, at a glance it said you have to standing leap 5 feet and dead lift 165 lbs, most women probably can't do that.
>>
>>32656857

Yes, this is the entire point of the OPAT. It's meant to be a filter on purpose.

The APFT is gender-segregated, it isn't a good way to determine if someone is fit enough to join, for instance, the infantry. The OPAT is a universal standard for everyone, so if a female can meet that standard then she's welcome in the infantry.
>>
>>32651350
Thanks man for pointing me where to go.
>>
>>32656792

11b here, we did OPAT in our OSUT last summer as a tedt I believe.

Can confirm if you cant diddylift the pitiful weight they have you lift you are p much cardio T R A S H
>>
Can one have dual citizenship and obtain a Secret Clearance even though they lived state side for the majority of their life?
>>
File: 2017-01-15 12.54.17.jpg (315KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-15 12.54.17.jpg
315KB, 1280x960px
Chair force here
6+ years, 1w0x2
Ask away about af spec ops pj, cct, sowt, and teir 1 tacp
>>
So this is for NZ.

I am keen to go either Army Officer or Navy Officer of some sort, but I am not sure which one would suit my background more.

CS + Math Double Major, about to graduate in about 6 months. Not entirely sure whether to go one way or another. I am kind of keen on some of those cyber units, I did some cybersecurity stuff in encryption/decryption as an intern.

Does anyone know if there are any specialized cyber units in existence at the moment and if so, how hard are they to get into?
>>
>>32654423
>I was a muhreen
Problem found

>>32656683
Interesting, how bad was the drive in in the morning?
>>
>>32648427
For alot of them, it's learned. Being surrounded by young people like yourself all day in shit situations is bound to get you socially comfortable with them. Once you get comfortable with that gang of misfits, you'll be comfortable with anybody. That's where the type A personality stereotype comes from
>>
Ive been thinking about getting into the airborne.
How do i accomplish this?
>>
>>32657661
>Go to google
>Type in Airborne
>Then realize youll fail cause youre to stupid to figure this out on your own
>>
File: 1424318312120.jpg (150KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1424318312120.jpg
150KB, 1024x682px
>>32646286
High speed and something medical, definitely. I was even looking into SOAR's flight medic program.

SOCM is the only thing that worries me. I read Leo Jenkin's book about being a Ranger Medic and his description of SOCM made me pretty nervous. But your assurance makes it easier, I mean other people have done it, why can't I?
>>
>>32656839
1A8x2
>>
What kind of storage options exist for your car when you go on deployment?

In a few months I'll be going underway in a sub. I'd rather have someone drive my car once a week or so, instead of just leaving it in a garage to collect dust and dry out.
>>
File: prius.gif (1MB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
prius.gif
1MB, 320x238px
>>32658188
Bring it to a trusted family member or friend then, otherwise just get a storage unit or sell it.

If it's less than a year just put it up on jacks with a full tank of gas, get an oil change and top off all the other fluids, disconnect the battery, give it a decent cleaning, if it's a nice car get a wax, then toss some baking soda or a passive dehumidifier in there and cover it. When you get back bring a battery charger, maybe have to recondition it depending on length and climate it was exposed to, Then just go for a nice long drive and redline it a few times, then do the oil if you hadn't.
>>
>>32653733
Willpower is a hell of a thing. That and drink cold water if you nod off.
>Playing the eternal game of drinking water to stay alive but not too much to have to piss between breaks,
>>
>>32649862
Can I still start with E-4 rank in the US Army, if i got my academic degree in Hungary, as a hungarian citizen, and only then become a legal US citizen?
>>
File: pepe-the-frog.png (1MB, 1532x1404px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog.png
1MB, 1532x1404px
>tfw medread gets kicked back a 2nd time

MEPS asked for the same exact page of a doctor's notes that I gave them last time, and they want me to 'disclose' use of an albuterol prescription from 5 years ago; I gave them signed pharmacist records showing I never filled the prescription, and a written explanation attesting that I only ever used the sample given to me by my doctor.

What's their problem?
>>
>>32658888
Looking for an excuse to disqualify you.
>>
>>32659339

I get that that's their purpose, but I'm genuinely unsure what they want from me in the case of the albuterol inhaler. If they want to have me take a methacholine test I'm fine with that, but I can't 'disclose' anything beyond how I have already.

Guess I'll just have to wait for my recruiter to come back to work.
>>
I have an odd question
Which specialties aren't infantry but still get to work primarily with firearms?
>>
>>32659508
Small arms repair/armorer, cav scouts, SF weapons sgt. You could make a case for a lot of other things like the other SF specialties, engineers, line medics, fire support, MPs, but they have other priority duties.
>>
>>32653794
I know this actually happened but where did i hear this from originally???
>>
File: 1468173855063.png (269KB, 398x384px) Image search: [Google]
1468173855063.png
269KB, 398x384px
>>32653904
Man... imagine having a fever right before an official PT test as an 18X recruit. RIP next 5 years (or however long the contract is) as you will probably end up getting reclassed for needs of Army.
>>
>>32657180
Whats up man?

Why are people's biggest hangups when it comes to the CCT pipeline?

>1w0x2
Have you ever been deployed? what do you do on deployment? Don't really understand your job...
>>
File: mini-tabasco-sauce.jpg (174KB, 567x378px) Image search: [Google]
mini-tabasco-sauce.jpg
174KB, 567x378px
>>32660314
It happens all the time at ranger school.
>>
Should someone with poor intrapersonal skills become a commissioned officer in the army?
I'm sure I'd interact well with subordinates and manage my units pretty well in command assignments, but I'm not sure I'd be able to "network" well with my peers and leave good impressions on superior officers, and supposedly that's important for getting promoted.
Should I perhaps focus my efforts on becoming a technical warrant instead?
>>
>>32658787
Yes.
>>
>>32649913
>shoot for a commission.
Because he can't unless he's already a citizen.
>>
>>32660791
interpersonal*
>>
>>32660791
Even if you wanted to go warrant, anything other than aviation you'll have to be an NCO for some time and use those same skills anyway. Do you just naturally leave bad impressions? Because that's just a big warning flag that being an officer might not be the best for you if you can't assert yourself. You could always go for something highly technical and lower retention like ADA and try to market yourself on superior knowledge vs command ability as your career moves along.
>>
>>32657661
Get a job that goes to airborne
Protip it's not as cool as it seems
You get treated like a child while running everywhere and doing the same thing over 9000 times.
Jumping itself is cool, minus the shitty harness and canopy
>>
File: FB_IMG_1483670353208.jpg (23KB, 603x340px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1483670353208.jpg
23KB, 603x340px
>>32660407
It's the same as any other pipeline, just fucking do it don't quit.
Water con and dive get the most people. Be in the absolute best shape you can be, don't get hurt don't fucking quit. It'll suck you'll be tired and hungry but at the end it's worth it.
Two deployments, attached to oda teams as another guy, do weather bullshit know what gear to pack and how effective helo's can be.
Nobody does, it's failing we've got useful skills just nobody knows about them or how to use "us"
>>
>>32660559
I hear muhreens say they need it to for boot
Lol
>>
File: Navy Petty Officer Aimee Mejia.jpg (106KB, 634x634px) Image search: [Google]
Navy Petty Officer Aimee Mejia.jpg
106KB, 634x634px
Does any rank have more power than a junior enlisted female?
>>
>>32660849
I guess it's more like I have social anxiety that is compounded in situations where I so much as perceive myself to have a lower status than others.
I wouldn't say I naturally leave bad impressions, but there are certain types of mouthbreathers who begin to dislike me when I don't have a lot to say to them.
On the otherhand many people do like me, but I sometimes suspect that it has more to do with them pitying me than myself leaving a good impression.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, idk.
>>
I'm looking to join the Navy Reserve (US)

Do you get paid during basic training? (or whatever its called in the navy, im talking about the initial training weeks prior to graduation)

Can you choose to 'work' more than the annual two week training/ monthly weekend? I mean can I choose to more than the basic required time, without being active duty?
>>
>>32661627
1) Yes.

2) It depends. You could volunteer for extra training or deployments but you wouldn't be guaranteed anything.
>>
>>32661011

Lance Corporal underground
>>
>>32661658
Thank you
>>
>>32656672
>Can Navy inyelligence(CTR) deploy with seals?

I (Army) did a Counter Intel analytics class a few years ago with some Navy intel guys. They worked for NSW and went to some cool guy classes to deploy with SEALs.
>>
>>32657109

>Dual citizenship and clearance?

That depends on who is giving you the clearance.
>>
>>32661011
Probably the NCOs and Os they are fraternizing with.
>>
>>32661806
No, you are just butt monkeys for any bored E-5 with a shit home life
>>
>>32657109
They made me give up mine to get the clearance
>>
Anyone been to MCT recently? I'm leaving to go on tuesday and just wondering what the day to day is like.
>>
>>32646771
What platoon were you? i just had two of my friends graduate on Friday too.
>>
>>32662356

yee

We also control the spice since we're kinda needed to accomplish tasks though.
>>
>>32647163
I graduated from there in December. Honestly the hardest part was the first couple week because you are just trying to get used to it all you know? Of course all of it sucked but those first couple is where they try to weed out all the weak ones.
>>
>yfw your leadership knows more about fundraisers and holiday parties than they do their actual job and mission set, and they will likely get people killed if they haven't already
>yfw you and three other people in your org actually know how to do the mission and are doing the work of 20 other people

Is it healthy to think about fratricide daily?
>>
>>32662179
>>32662479
Well I can easily give up mine when it comes to it, thanks anons.
>>
What is combat like?
>>
Question about language aptitude - I took 5 years of French throughout junior high and highschool and did very well (within the top 20 tested in my state more than once). Would this particular language be of any value, or would it be more likely that I'd be sent off to learn Dindu if I took a MOS that involves linguistics?
I don't pass as fluent, if that matters
>>
If I get a seal challenge contract and drop out of bud/s, can I go do spoopy shit, or is it needs of the navy? And I checked, but couldn't find any good info, does navy have HUMINT? I got a 99 on the afqt fwiw
>>
I've decided I want to try out for ranger battalion. I have already been training physically for months but I've been wondering of ways to prepare myself mentally. Anybody have any tips?
>>
>>32662736
>fundraisers and holiday parties

You're in the AF aren't you.
Welcome to my life.
>>
I'm surprised the NUPOC program has been nearly successful as it has been

You'd think it would attract a ton of just really nerdy dudes who couldn't make it through OCS
>>
>>32660010
>cav scout
What about LRS?
>>
This is probably a far fetched question... but anyone know what it's like to enlist active duty 4 years, then use the gi bill to get a degree, then go into reserves as an officer?
>>
>>32665219
don't quit
>>
>>32665538
LRS is infantry, and big army is shutting them down.
>>
>>32665590
For what purpose
>>
>>32665634
drones are more useful than them right now.
>>
>>32665634
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Surveillance

I guess to utilize more vehicles
>>
>tfw scared of Navy OCS
>>
>>32665808

Are you not prior enlisted? I'm glad I got picked up for STA-21 and got NSI tho
>>
>>32664376

French is becoming more and more valuable. Africa is currently undergoing a ridiculous population boom and half the continent speaks it.
>>
>>32665853
Not the same guy. Does that mean prior service in the french army (not the FFL) is valuable to african PMCs?
>>
>>32665554

What do you think being a reservist officer is going to get you that you didn't already glean from your enlisted time? Or are you planning on trying to stick it out another 16 years in the reserves for a pension?
>>
>>32666784
Well I've already done my 4 years and I'm in school now, but I'd like to still be part of the Navy. I just don't want to waste the potential income that comes with a mechanical engineering degree by going full time Navy. In my head I've already committed to doing this, more or less. I was really just wondering if anyone else has done it, or if know of any reasons why I shouldn't because I have no idea how to reserve or officer.
I really did enjoy the Navy though. The tiny bit of extra money is hardly what's motivating me to want to do it.
>>
>>32664637
Needs of the navy
>>
>>32665808
when do you ship?
>>
>>32666879
>>32666879
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.