[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the American equivalent of the SKS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: angled_photo_yugo_sks_cc_v2.png (144KB, 800x346px) Image search: [Google]
angled_photo_yugo_sks_cc_v2.png
144KB, 800x346px
What's the American equivalent of the SKS?
>>
>>32526188
M1?
>>
m14
>>
>>32526196
winrar
>>
>>32526188
m1 carbine i guess
>designed about the same time
>cheaper alternative to main battle rifle
>smaller intermediate cartridge
>>
What would be the semi auto of the einfield?
>>
>>32526188
The hi point carbeen. It is the best and inovative gun of the modern age I have many they make good for hunting and 3 gun and clay shoot
>>
>>32526213
No.

The answer is there is none. The US never thought about adopting intermediate cartridge self-loading rifle, ever since WW2 ended they looked for replacement for both M1 Garand and BAR, M14 was the result of this development.
>>
>>32526230
that doesnt make sense
>>
>>32526188
M1 garand.

>>32526213
>m1 carbine
lol wut?
>>
>>32526240
wut?
sks was designed in 1944 and the m1 carbine in 43 and they fill similar roles.
>>
mini 30 minus the good price
>>
>>32526253
m1 garand would be the US equivalent of the SVT
>>
>>32526255
You couldn't be more wrong.

M1 was developed for non-combat troops as a something better than 1911 but not as bulky as Garand or Springfield or something.

SKS was developed because experienced gathered from field usage of SVT-40 have proven that you don't need full-sized rifle cartridge for your grunts, plus it fixed several problems SVT had(it changed locking system from tilting bolt to rotary bolt and made gas piston manageable when disassembled). It was however a gun meant for the grunts in the infantry that weren't going to storm trenches, buildings and shit with it(these were supposed to get back-then-milled AK's), not for artillerymen or truck drivers.
>>
>>32526242
semi auto version of lee-enfield?
>>
File: IMG_48_zpswvt4ha81.jpg (163KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_48_zpswvt4ha81.jpg
163KB, 1024x819px
>>32526309
>You couldn't be more wrong.
this is literally a shitposting thread
>full size battle rifle is the equivalent of a intermediate cartridge rifle

the sks was almost immediately retired anyways and given away to comblock countries

>not for artillerymen or truck drivers.
there was plenty of frontline use of the m1 in ww2 and korea
>>
>>32526230

The Enfield was British, but there never really was a semi auto version (apart from odd prototypes). The No4 that was used during WW2 was kept well into the 50s until it was replaced by the L1A1.
>>
Mini-14 I guess
>semi-auto
>intermediate cartridge

I don't think the US military ever adopted a semi-auto rifle that shoots intermediate bullets.
>>
>>32526415
Correction: Semi-auto only.
>>
>>32526365
>the sks was almost immediately retired anyways and given away to comblock countries
Because Soviets figured out how to make stamped AK receivers that worked and figured out that - huh, we don't need SKS anymore.

It was a fallback scenario rifle at the point when AK started showing promises. Had the AK been too expensive to make and they would be the PPSH of their small arms, while more traditional SKS would be the main rifle, had it been not that much more expensive from SKS and they would take over in full. The 2nd option happened.

M1 Carbine has indeed seen frontline combat but was ill fit to do so and grunts disliked it because it couldn't kill shit(.357 fired from roughly as long barrel has similar energy) and the gun, while fun for plinking isn't the most reliable thing ever made. Non-combat troops loved it because hey - it's light, it doesn't get in the way.

Plus .30 carbine is the approach to intermediate cartridges from the other side than every single other intermediate round developed in the period. 8mm Kurz was shortened rifle cartridge and so was 7.62x39, meanwhile .30 carbine thinner and longer pistol cartridge.
>>
>>32526309
>(it changed locking system from tilting bolt to rotary bolt
No.

>>>/b/
>>
File: 1474792622068.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1474792622068.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>not realizing that the SKS is the american equivalent of the SKS
>>
>>32526415
I figure this.
>>
>>32526188
Like docturnally? Nothing really, the US were like the Germans in waiting as long as possible to adopt something new and then making a mad rush for it while the Russians were fine with arming some troops with mosins, most with SKSen and then some troops with SKSen and then most with AKMs.

If you're talking civilian sales for a cheap gun that is quality and reliable for the price in an intermediate cartridge I would assume the ar15 now, the M1 maybe 40 years ago and in between that the SKS, then the AK
>>
im going to say johnson rifle. and interesting rifle in its own right, largely overshadowed by its competitor.
>>
The M16. Russian technology is 20 years future.
>>
>>32526188
Is $325 a good price for a C&R SKS packed in cosmoline? Norinco SKS that's been used previously, looks beat up but functions.
>>
>>32529276

Not bad. They usually run higher so go for it.
>>
>>32526365

Is that guy in the bottom right still trying to smoke a cigarette while clearing a building in CQC?
>>
>>32529809
No, he's smoking a cigarette while posing for a photo pretending to clear a building in CQC. It was a pretty common thing to recreate scenes post-fact for photographers back then, and half the time the photographers were just soldiers pursuing a hobby, same with painting, sketching, etc. so journalistic integrity took a back stage to "SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE"
>>
>>32530108
His war face gave me Cansur.
>>
>>32526630

Johnson Automatic gets me rock solid, but unfortunately fow whatever reason (probably some shit "history" show) the prices spiked before I could pick one up.
>>
>>32529276
methinks no
>>
>>32526188
SKS

All guns are American.
>>
>>32526415
This is a winner
>>
File: 1475221880619.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1475221880619.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
The M1A1 Abrams!
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.