[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MEG/ Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 48

File: 68468541641658.jpg (180KB, 1020x599px) Image search: [Google]
68468541641658.jpg
180KB, 1020x599px
/MEG/ Military Enlistment General

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
What kind of shit can you get up to as an officer? Looking at the Navy, was gonna go speak to a recruiter tomorrow.
>>
File: goofed.jpg (21KB, 282x296px) Image search: [Google]
goofed.jpg
21KB, 282x296px
>>32459083

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well
>>
IF YOU AINT YOU AINT SHIT
>>
I got med dropped at MEPS 3 years ago, in a different state.

Will they find out when I go to attempt to enlist again?
>>
File: 1480735567550.jpg (522KB, 610x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480735567550.jpg
522KB, 610x900px
>>32459083
>>32457888
>mostly stick and poke stuff.
Interesting, what is stick stuff though?

>>32457920
>No one gives a shit what you think
You do
Again, its just my opinion man. Stop crying.

>>32459319
Depends what type of officer obviously. If youre a swo thats very different than a seal officer.
>>
File: medicgadsden.png (719KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
medicgadsden.png
719KB, 2000x1333px
About to go to FMTB as an FMF Corpsman, 2nd Marines.

I'm here to answer any questions and give the latest news to folks here curious about wanting to become a "Doc"
>>
How comfy is coast guard compared to Air Force? Is it similarly harder to get into compared to the other armed forces?

How often will you leave the USA/deploy elsewhere while in the Coast Guard?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>32459620
>stick and poke
Y'know, like prison tats, poke some holes in the shape you want and rub the ink in. Couple guys got EGAs, one guy got lost a bet and had to get a dick.
>>
Is rotc the only way to enlist and go into college?
>>
>>32460183
Online classes, satellite campuses on base, CLEP/DANTES, CCAF. If you have a super POG job you might be able to attend a local school, but you will not be there for the entire 4 year traditional degree plan.
>>
>>32459989
>Y'know, like prison tats
Dude i definitely dont know. Ill take your word for it.
>>
>>32460183
ROTC is a pathway to Officer, not enlisted.
>>
>only want to joint military
>JROTC all thru highschool
>try to enlist in army. Want to go airborne
>denied at MEPS cannot enlist in any branch

Should I go for the foreign legion?
>>
>>32460882
denied for what?
>>
Former muhreen grunt ask me anything.

Just fooling I'm getting ready to pass out, join the Army.

Or ask and I'll answer tomorrow after the bar slut leaves.
>>
>>32459602
Dropped for what?
>>
Anyone know where I can get info about being a nuke tech on a sub? I was originally trying to join the USAF but they sent me to the navy because I wanted to weld. Then the navy got my ASVAB and guilt-tripped me into going Nuke because their comission for it and I got greedy with all the bonus promises.

Only submariners I've talked to are old as balls dudes who (except for one) were on the diesel ones.
>>
File: 1477769830417.png (286KB, 949x2587px) Image search: [Google]
1477769830417.png
286KB, 949x2587px
>>32461129
Consider suicide. You fucked up.
Pic related
>>
>>32461215
Fuck me. If I already done MEPS and signed my contract and sworn in, is it too late? I really wanted to switch to gunner's mate after talking to folks but lacked the balls to ask them if I could. I ship to great lakes in a lil over a month if that makes my case any worse.
>>
Thad Feel when coming back to work after Christmas stand down.

Just fuck my shit up
>>
>>32461260
bumping because I don't want to have a prolapsed anus and be around fucking bronies.
>>
>>32461317
Just grow a sack and ask your recruiters. If they try to give you an ultimatum and say either you go nuke or you don't go, tell them sending one body is better than none, and if that doesn't work than they're just greedy fucks who don't care about your well being at all and you should go back to the USAF or try the Coast Guard if you're still up for welding. Hell, CG has Gunner's Mate as well.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161123-020624.jpg (69KB, 357x581px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161123-020624.jpg
69KB, 357x581px
>>32461317
No way out now hombre, you're now going to get an anal prolapse *because* of bronies.
>>
>>32461348
I'll ask, but probably end up going beta cuck mode and let them talk me back into it anyways.
>>32461422
I can always hang myself, so there's that way out still.
>>
i got some serious dental issues, two broken wisdom and a hole in a tooth. am i DQ'd ?
>>
>>32461445
Guy who posed pic here.
They are gonna give you a huge load of shit for backing out. Your time with the navy is over for sure. Youll have to go to another branch.
>>
>>32461485
Honestly I've got no idea, but, as far as I know, you getting DQ'd is more dependent on how busy your meps facility is.

Go in through a place like LA or Sandy Eggo CA like I did where a shitton of people pass through daily and they'll be weeding them out left and right. I think it was something like only 30% of the recruits got through on the first try.

Go to Fucksnowhereville, USA and their MEPS facility will pass you with the flattest motherfucking feet and high blood pressure.

t. a guy who had to attend meps on 4 seperate occasions before he could even get in DEP just because my blood pressure was "near the threshold for being high" according to San Diego. I was just nervous because I had to lie about "no sir i neva eva smoked a marihuana in my life"
>>
>>32461537
Fuck me in my not-yet-prolapsed ass. I guess I'll go to the coast guard.
>trusting a branch who uses .40 Meme & Wesson as the standard service pistol
>>
I don't know if I should go infantry (paratrooper then ask for SOF) or signals
I'm not in the US and I know I'll see deployment if I go into combat arms. However everyone is telling me not to ask for infantry because muh crayon eating, and I obviously have no guarantee that I'll be able to move to a SOF unit
Signals seems interesting too and probably more reasonable as a career, but I won't get to do cool shit.

Could I get some advice?
>>
>>32461590
The only alternative plan, but its risky, is to still go NUKE than just fail out. Thats easy enough but the gamble is whether or not they let you re-rate into something else or send you to the fleet undes. Its needs of the navy. If they need to fill some rates theyll let you choose but if they feel like fucking you over theyll send you undes.
>>
>>32459920
Coast Guard is the most difficult branch to get in, and you will be actually doing shit during peacetime unlike all the other branches
>>
>want to work on aircraft parts
>Air Force works with planes and has welding positions and I already know how to weld
>go into recruiter
>Air Force recruiter isn't there
>Marine recruiter is locking up her door and getting ready to leave
>"Need something?"
>I need to speak with this recruiter but he's not here right now
>"What do you want to do?"
>I was hoping to weld , specifically on air-
>"WHY DONT YOU JOIN THE NAVY THEN YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER LITTLE DIPSHIT WHP DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE SO I CAN LOCK UP"
Is this a Marine problem or a woman problem
>>
>>32462244

Recruiter problem. She lost all interest when the job you wanted ended up being one her branch doesn't really do.
>>
>>32462244
It's a dipshit problem. You're a dipshit that doesn't know that you should join the Navy if you want to work on an aircraft carrier.
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantrry, you aint shit
>>
>>32460300
So is it worth it to go officer? I want to get a degree so I can go through the army medical school, forgot what it was called.
>>
File: 1474099640759.jpg (2MB, 3015x2010px) Image search: [Google]
1474099640759.jpg
2MB, 3015x2010px
Reminder to never go security forces, master at arms or MP as they are terrible jobs and the UCMJ knowledge you have stuck in your head is a liability for civvie LEO.

Also, reply to this post about SF86 questions and answers, there's a lot of confusion out there.
>>
>>32462635
There is nothing wrong with SecFo though
>>
>>32461563
Louisville KY MEPS here
My teeth are disgustingly bad. No issue
>>
>>32461637
Just go something like 25U with an option 40 and PT your ass off every day until like 18 months after basic and apply for 18X
>>
Daily reminder that
>no one here has ever been through the Nuke pipeline
>Nuke may, in fact, be your bag, baby
>>
>>32463042
As I said I'm not american but basically you're saying I should go into signals then ask to be transferred to a SOF unit once I'm physically ready?
>>
Is it true that enlisted personnel doesn't get to do any high speed spooky stuff and that all the interesting operations are actually carried out by officers and nco's?
>>
>>32459083
what's your take on stolen valor /meg/?
>>
>>32463069
This is the pragmatic answer but I will still always shit on nuke when talking to newbies because someone has to counterbalance how hard recruiters try to sell it.
>>
>>32463512

NCOs are enlisted, anon. The vast majority of real intel work is carried out by civilians and enlisted. That includes both the spoopy and nonspoopy sides.
>>
>>32463921
By spooky I didn't exclusively mean intel, I was talking about thingsp special forces did in general
>>
>>32463816

It's freedom of speech. If people wanna play dress-up, let 'em. Bothers me zero.
>>
What's the best CT_ job for getting a good government job after you get out
>>
>>32463935

SF isn't usually spoopy. SF (and lots of SOF) is almost 100% NCOs though.
>>
>>32464054
Don't you become an NCO just by going through SF?
>>
>>32464007

N, if you like that kind of work.
>>
>>32464007
CTI
Most money once your out and you get your choice of the local mission or the foreign mission.
>>
>>32464054
>SF (and lots of SOF) is almost 100% NCOs though.
How come?
>>
>>32464070

Which would be why SF is mostly NCOs, yes. There's a few warrants and junior officers smattered in, but the vast majority are NCOs.
>>
>>32464074
Ignore him CTN is cool but you spend a lot of time doing tech shit instead of being /operator/
>>
>>32464104

If you like that kind of work, it pays a lot better than CTI. For pure money potential, it's the best.

If you suck at computers you're not going to get the good jobs though.
>>
>>32461129
>he bought the Nike meme
M8...
Even if you kys the navy will reanimate your bitch ass.
>>
>>32464128
Are you CTN?
>>
>>32464128
>CTN pays more than CTI
Bud our worst option is to be a contract analyst for 60k a year. Our best is contract language work for 100-160k
>>
>>32464135

Not anymore. Now riding the contractor money train.
>>
>>32461081
>Dropped for what?
It doesn't matter and just detracts from my question.

Again,
>I attempted enlisting in another state, will they know if I attempt to enlist in a my current state, 1500 miles away?
>>
>>32464151
Good for you I'm not on my way out yet. We all work the same mission w/ different jobs so whatever you choose in intel just don't be an IS.
>>
>>32464156
What the fuck nigger our answer depends on what you got dropped for
>>
>>32464146

Yeah, that's less than CTNs do by far. The average industry wage is low six figures. The high end is well over 200k. Infosec/cyber is *the* industry to be in right now.
>>
>>32463859
You're just memeing some shit that you read on a Moroccan claymation mailing list.
>>
>>32464179
Fuck, well I was wrong. If you want money go get carpal tunnel w/ this mother fucker.
>>
>>32464156
It totally matter, asshat.
If it was medical, you're fucked.
If it was because you were a drug fiend, autist, or plain old retard, you can probably apply again.
>>
>>32464185

The problem is people see the money and think it's as easy as showing up. I got a great offer when I got out, but I'm no-life tryharded this computer shit for years. I got out with two degrees, a fuckload of certifications, and real world cyber experience under my belt. I didn't just put my job training on my resume and expect results.
>>
File: 1482529418254.png (438KB, 957x751px) Image search: [Google]
1482529418254.png
438KB, 957x751px
Does anyone have experience with the National Guard?

I'm thinking about going that route after I EAS.

I'm an active duty muhreen, and I have friends who are in the USMCR and say their drill periods are as annoying as when they were active duty, just in smaller doses.

So, how is the Guard in terms of:

>competence per average soldier
>training opportunities
>routine of drill periods
>anything else compared to active

I just want to keep serving, but my sanity and liver can't handle another four years of active duty Marine nonsense. Also, I just like the idea of train, get used for helping the community most likely, possibly overseas, then whatever time you don't have doing that is yours.

Any guard bros guidance is appreciated. Since I'm lurking, anyone who's got USMC questions can fire away.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>32464090
Hazard pay. Wouldn't make sense to have the people who put their asses on the line get the same pay as some dumbfuck enlisted POG or infantry
>>
>>32462690
Enjoy sliding ID cards, masturbating in guard shacks and staring at fences.
>>
Anyone here 2111 (Small Arms Repair/Technician) ?

I'm can't find a whole lot of info on it, but I've been told I'd be doing a lot less fixin' guns and a lot more logistics. Is this true?
>>
File: TAKE THE BLOODY SHOT.jpg (81KB, 885x516px) Image search: [Google]
TAKE THE BLOODY SHOT.jpg
81KB, 885x516px
>>32462244

Do what you want, and only what you want, when you want to do it. Don't take anything she, or any other recruiter says too seriously. At least without fact-checking it.
>>
>>32464444

Checked quads.

From my understanding, yes. One of my buddies is an Armorer. He does in fact deal with repairing weapons, but that's only a portion of what he does.

He also has to deal with getting updated counts of all of the unit's gear after field ops, transport, or just periodically when we were deployed. You'd typically have armory custodians (poor souls who aren't armorers but, for one reason or another, get voluntold to do the busy work of the armory).

On top of that, any new parts or equipment related to the armory will be done through GCSS (some sort of online system) by yourself and I believe supply or logistics clerks. I don't know much about this part.

You'll do PFIs (pre-firing inspections) of weapons before your unit does any live fire exercises.

Last, but not least, you'll be great at not giving Marines CLP to clean their rifles but expect them to be immaculate.
>>
>>32464528
What is the ratio of fixing guns to paperwork would you say? I have a week or so until I choose my (top 3) MOS's with my recruiter, so if fixing guns (and possibly doing that outside of the Corps.) isn't what this MOS is mainly about, then I might choose something else as my number one.
>>
File: AIR_C-5M_No5_Departure_LMCO_lg.jpg (86KB, 1024x571px) Image search: [Google]
AIR_C-5M_No5_Departure_LMCO_lg.jpg
86KB, 1024x571px
>>32462244
aircraft mechanic here, not much welding done on aircraft.

most back shop mechanic jobs are rebuilding components that are past their warranty.

sheet metal would be the closes job to what you are looking for, that or metals tech.

not sure what their AFSC is but google it and it should come up

>source
>c5m crewchief
>>
If I put Security Forces on the very bottom of my preferred job list, are they going to just stick me in anyways to fill SF up?
>>
>>32464182
True, it's not bad at all if your not stupid, if you are it's going to suck massive dick
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>32464300
It really depends on where/what kind of unit you get into. If it's SF/SOF support they generally weed out the shitbags. Air Guard has a few units that support AFSOC directly, and there's some LRS and SF support all over.

If you don't have any of that in your state take a look at aviation, they tend to hold onto their people a while and they get double the drill days. A flying crew chief position is golden. The aforementioned is really the only chances for you to get sent to additional schools. Avoid MP/infantry/supply/chemical like the fucking plague, it's full of the split option high school kids and you'll end up babysitting (pic related) or getting called out to riots/filling sandbags. If it's your only local choice get into the comm/intel/armorer shops.

What are you planning to do on the civilian side? The medical units are actually really good because it's full of people that do the job on both sides, and is great for networking. Plus there's always cops, fucking everywhere, especially in combat arms so it's easy to get an in if you want to be an LEO. Lastly, have you thought about Recon? If you're mind isn't made up yet, I have a buddy in 4th Force and they get school seats and have the money to send people everywhere. Most of the guys don't take advantage because they're busy, but he's in college and goes somewhere just about every other semester, and their drills are always great.
>>
Enlisted into the Marines a few weeks ago. Going Infantry. Rah'.
>>
>>32465527
My condolences
>>
>>32465527
F&L
>>
File: 1449368181084.jpg (40KB, 552x828px) Image search: [Google]
1449368181084.jpg
40KB, 552x828px
>>32465527
Yummy. Got us a fresh one boys.

In all seriousness you're fine. Good luck devil puppy.
>>
>>32462495

This. FUCK POGs.
>>
>>32465970
Shut up boot. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast.

Yes, I meant to say that.
>>
What do I need to do to get the best chance of getting stationed in Japan
>>
>>32466117

USMC air wing.
>>
>>32464179
I really want to go CTN but wouldn't be able to get a TS clearance (couple misdemeanors in my degenerate pasr)

Do Navy IT guys have opportunities for cybersecurity work?
>>
How do I get a pilot slot in ROTC?
>>
>Spent my 20's writing and adventuring on my own
>Just now finishing college that I've calmed down
>Thinking about the service

Would SOF grant an age waiver to a 30 year old man?
>>
>>32466150

Most ITs still need a TS to get decent billets. Your misdemeanors probably won't disqualify you from a TS if the military is fine with them.
>>
>>32464156
No wonder you got dropped because obviously you're retarded. Why you got dropped is extremely relevant. Idiot.
>>
File: 5thgrp.jpg (76KB, 546x672px) Image search: [Google]
5thgrp.jpg
76KB, 546x672px
>>32466524
Depends on the branch/career field. Seals would waiver you up to 30, 33 for officers, MARSOC is capped at 32, AF used to take anyone up to 39, but they changed they're regular enlistment stuff so that's iffy. Army SF is capped at 30 so you're good there if you go right now, rangers take up to 34. As long as you're a stud and have no injuries most recruiting commands would grant it. Ways around this would be to enlist in something different and reclass, be advised that some courses have age maximums, like basic airborne course at 36.
>>
>>32466117
Commit crimes.
>>
>>32459083
I want to join the navy. I'm 18. I don't know what I want, just to be in the navy and figure it out.

>what should I expect from the navy?
>>
>>32466673

I'm eyeballing AFSOC at the moment, Air Force wants you to be 27 but offers waivers, I don't know to what age though.
>>
File: skibbidybeepbopidoo.jpg (95KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
skibbidybeepbopidoo.jpg
95KB, 1023x682px
a while back there was an anon talking about different ways to get into the 75th. I wouldnt so much say easier, just different. Made it sound less risky than going 11b with op40 and possibly ending up 11c. I think he mentioned 35 series and then reclassing to infantry.

can anybody shed more light on that?
>>
>>32466688
>what should I expect from the navy?
Completely depends on what rate you pick and where you are stationed. What rates are you thinking about?

>>32464224
This is awesome. Glad to hear CTN isnt a meme like everything else is.
>>
>>32466736
They should let you do a PAST and if you blow that out of the water, decent ASVAB, and have no other issues you should get a waiver just fine, PJ/CCT is always undermanned.
>>
>>32466869

You can apply to join the Regiment as any MOS they need and attend RASP. It's never a guarantee they'll take you or you'll have you current chain of commands' support to leave.

Reclass from Intel to infantry is going to be hard since they're shrinking infantry and growing intelligence.
>>
>>32464088
>>32464074
What about CTR? I'm just wondering if I should switch over to CTN
>>
>>32467073

I did the practice ASVAB in like 10 minutes and got a 95. The PAST I'm going to take about six months to train for.
>>
>>32466869
You can get to the regiment with just about any MOS you'd find in a normal line unit, and opt. 40s exist for most of them. Honestly, not getting at least airborne in your contract is risky if this is your goal. Only exception is 68W because you can drop a packet in AIT.

http://www.benning.army.mil/Tenant/75thRanger/Specialties.html
>>
>>32467140
>>32467094
yeah i saw the list of MOSs they have with available op40. Ive just heard some lame stuff about being stuck with 11c for some people.

also, i was under the impression that op40 has you go to airborne as well.
>>
>>32462244
Fuck the other services recruiters and do join the Air Force for best working environment and career. USAF recruiters literally hand off their too-low ASVAB scorers to other branches.

Welding is fun but avoid Transportation. There is no separate "welding" AFSC and when it supports aircraft ops it's combined with machinist (which is good). Fabrication Flight is usually filled by people like you with some prior experience.

Wings good, wheels bad. Air Force good. Other services are forced to hire many shitbags to fill manning slots and then structure around that waterfall of retards with whom the sharp troops are trapped.

Navy has best welding schools, but it's the Navy. Always think "CAREER" even if you planned on only one enlistment. Get in before the window to get the old retirement plan goes away, and do at least 20. Do it right and you won't have to work afterwards unless you want to.

Since ya like metal, consider aircraft maintenance.You won't be welding on aircraft but there are many fun jobs if you are a gearhead. If not a gearhead avoid aircraft maintenance because enthusiasts make the best mechanics and technicians. I've trained many. You managed welding so you intuitively "get" metal. That counts for more than one might think. I could take a civilian mechanic, farm boy, or tradesman and make them a jet mech or avionics tech (I was both over the years) easily. Airlifters recommended for extremely long system life which offers second careers after retirement. UAS second, manned fighters third for career but it's all good.

Go nowhere near security forces or Admin.
>>
>>32467255
Prior Service USAFR, Comms here
I'm almost finished transferring to active duty (after 2 years) because I hate being a part-timer.

I'll be picking a new AFSC soon.

I'm settled on either A10 Avionics or F16 Crew Chief. What would you recommend? I've heard nothing but good for the A-10 and it's pilots. But I've heard F-16s are flown by assholes, however I think crew chief sounds better and I want to be able to be stationed at/deployed to more bases.

Also
>I have to go back to MEPS even though I just passed my PT test and annual physical.
>>
>>32467245
Yeah, option 4 is airborne only, 40 is airborne then RASP. What I was getting at is you can volunteer for RASP at airborne if you can't get a 40 and they need your MOS at that point in time.
>>
Hope this is the right place.

Thought about joining the ANG or AF reserve. Federal employee with good job, looking to do something interesting/different.

How tough is the ANG/reserve to get into these days? No degree, so will be enlisting.
>>
File: confused5.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
confused5.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
>>32466304
Please
>>
>>32467414
Not hard at all, but less choices in career field.
>>
>>32464624
>>32467255
Many thanks anons
>>
>>32467255
>Get in before the window to get the old retirement plan goes away, and do at least 20
What is changing, and when is it changing?
>>
File: 1436336965194.jpg (74KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1436336965194.jpg
74KB, 900x600px
>>32467410
probably difficult to answer, but how likely is it to make it into RASP with op4 and an MOS like 13f or 11b?
>>
File: images_049.jpg (10KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images_049.jpg
10KB, 228x221px
Can someone tell me about being an officer? What is it like? What do you do? I've heard enlisted say they're just babysitters/middle management but that seems overly simplistic and maybe a case of sour grapes
>>
>>32467626

Most junior enlisted have a very bad case of sour grapes that typically relates to behavior that demonstrates why they aren't cut out for command.

>tell me about being an officer

Your colonel is going to haze you.
>>
Should you lie in a secret clearance about drug use (halucigenics, weed)?
>>
>>32467640
Go on...
>>
File: 1473293010527.gif (980KB, 221x196px) Image search: [Google]
1473293010527.gif
980KB, 221x196px
>>32467576
That's largely on you. You can improve your chances at getting into anything fun/interesting/special if you've got your shit together and you're rockin those PT scores.

If you're a smart, high-speed and a PT stud, the opportunities will find you. That old army saying of "Be all you can be" is corny as fuck, but it actually fits. If you're dedicated and willing to do more, the army can usually find a way to let you do that.
>>
>>32467576
You have a much better shot than if you didn't get airborne. When I went through the ranger liason would come in, do a quick brief and take volunteers to go get screened. I guess they would then go put a packet in or take a pt test or something. Those two jobs are super common in a line unit anyway so I'd say your chances are decent.
>>
>>32467094
Can confirm, MI would be a very good MOS to choose right now.
>>
>>32467640
Wrong
>>32467626
>>32467692
You are everything you already said. A baby sitter. You make too much money to do an easy as job with little to no actual work. With that being said its a sweet deal obviously and youd be a fool to not do it.

>>32467688
Yes you idiot
>>
>>32467761
Fug, what if top secret ever shows up though?
>>
>>32467769
don't ever fuck up and none of your lies at MEPS/ Boot/etc will ever come back in your face
>>
>>32467769
Use your brain please. I hate having to explain this shit to you damn kids every thread. How exactly would they ever find out? Plus you are worried about something that may or may not ever even matter. You will be fine, stop being a pussy and lie like a damn adult.
>>32467797
This, also once you stick to it. Dont ever waffle. There was some idiot in these threads a while ago who lied and got his ts but then later admitted he lied and got kicked out and blamed us for it like a complete dumbass.
>>
>>32467769
>>32467828
From MEPS and on, they are going to try and get you to admit that you lied, and have you blame it on a recruiter or something. No one will ever have to pay for it but you.

Also know what is and isn't worth lying about. Its not worth lying about breaking a bone years ago that wouldn't require a waiver. Because if you break it again (or hurt it, etc) they will x-ray that shit and see that it has been previously broken. I assume the same lying tactic would apply for security clearance.
>>
>>32467110

Are you a huge fucking computer nerd?

If yes, go N.

If no, do not go N.
>>
>>32467761
>You are everything you already said. A baby sitter. You make too much money to do an easy as job with little to no actual work. With that being said its a sweet deal obviously and youd be a fool to not do it.
Is there a specific branch you would recommend or are they all pretty much the same when it comes to being an officer?
>>
>>32467899
People say infantry types are different but idk man. I was navy and the officers i interacted with were all standard SWOs. IF you were a sealO that would prob be different. Look man either way the bottom line is the enlsited are the ones who get there hands dirty. So if you actually want to work in a specific field cause you enjoy it than go enlisted than go officer later if you feel like it.
>>
>>32467410
It's not guaranteed that you can get RASP at airborne. GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT
>>
>>32467899
Well it depends on your field, making across the board statements like hurr all junior enlisted are irresponsible ASVAB waivered assholes is just as asinine. Obviously if you go into aviation, anything highly technical, or professional like law/medical you won't run into too many situations like babysitting an infantry platoon of rejects or dealing with welfare queens in a admin section. As an officer you really won't get respect off the bat, have to do some shit work, and take crap from all your seniors. However, when you pick up O-3 it gets loads better and you start to have a buffer between field stuff and begin focusing on high level strategy and command/shop sections or if you're in a professional field you start getting access to more education and training.
>>
Can you get away with low key polyamory in the military? Asking for a friend...
>>
>>32468058

You can fuck as many people as you want, as long as none of them are married.

UCMJ is pretty clear about being married and fucking other people, it's a punishable infraction. Do people break the rules? Yeah. Do people get hemmed up for it? Yeah.
>>
>>32467884
The only sketchy thing i have is drug use(not on record), guess im taking that shit to the grave lmao
>>
>>32468058
>>32468079
Also no fraternization between the ranks.
>>
>>32468082
Thats a good idea.
As long as you used wholesome (not yer drug fiend friends you were filling your rose with cheap ice with), references then you're all good.
>>
>>32467769
Top Secret Clearance can check your post history here, I got burned that way so watch it
>>
>>32468143
True, but chances are that shouldn't happen unless you give them a reason to check.

Lying is how shitty people can turn their life around in the Military and become good, wholesome, law-abiding people. I'm not saying I was one of those shitty people, but the Military can remove the bad from a person, or amplify it if they aren't very strong.
>>
>>32468143
>>32468184
Time to flush my sim card
>>
>>32468143

Not him, but I assumed that they'd check the history of every IP address that I had ever been associated with.

I don't do illegal shit, but I unabashedly have a lot of kinks.
>>
>>32468199
They can still get records, but not every job requires a clearance.
>>32468237
I have no idea if they care about that, would surprise me if they did tho
>>
>>32466304
>>32467433
P-p-p-p-p-please
>>
>>32468021
>>32467921
Well I was considering applying to medical school and being a military Doctor but I want to get my hands a little dirtier than that. Can you really get stuck doing HR or some shit? I would assume that only happens to people who are fatbodies in OCS
>>
>>32466869
I'm not sure if it what you want, but 25c has a pretty easy time getting op40 in a contract. Even if you cant get it in contract it's insanely easy to request in AIT.
>source am 25c
>>
>>32468143
>Top Secret Clearance can check your post history here
r u fuckin memin me m8?
>>
>>32468315

Kek. AG is a pretty small and coveted field for officers. If you want HR then you're probably fucked. That's a quick ticket to some very cushy and lucrative jobs.
>>
>>32468325

Not him, but my dad was in the Air Force his whole life. His advice to me when the internet came out was

>Assume that someone is watching everything you do on there one way or another.

The military was around the birth of computers, the internet, and TOR. Why would you think that they wouldn't have or get that info?
>>
>>32468409
Sorry, I don't know those acronyms, is there a list? I mean HR as in Human Resources. That sounds fuckin awful.
>>
Has anyone had luck with mountain tactical's website and their workouts?
>>
>>32467828
What the hell did he lie about?
>>
>>32468428

AG - Adjutant General is the Army branch that HR officers fall into. HR still means Human Resources in the Army. It's a pretty small branch with a lot of power and high level billets.

They're not going to put you in it if you don't want it, especially since someone would murder you for that slot.

HR actually does very important work. The branches nobody wants are the ones who don't do shit, like Chemical and Air Defense.
>>
>>32468621
Why do all the cool sounding jobs end up being the worst?
>>
>>32468755

How else would they get people to sign up for them?
>>
>>32468762
I thought with OCS you didn't really get much of a choice? Needs of the branch and all that
>>
>>32468755

Chem and ADA are basically branches we keep around for WW3. Vital for an actual parity war... but we've been basically bombing mud guys in one form or another for 60 years. That means they have no real value.
>>
New here

What should I expect out of the USAF?

Is Biomedical equip a good job in the USAF?

I was told to stay away from admin jobs
>>
>>32460300
You don't need ROTC, anyone with a bachelors degree can become an officer.
>>
Will I get made fun of for watching anime in the navy
>>
File: .jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
Is a 14:00 2 mile, 60 PU and 75 SU to low to go get an op 40 contract?
>>
>>32468621
Wouldn't the jobs where you don't do shit idealistically be the best jobs?

Correct me if i'm wrong.
>>
>>32468832
For the air force, just don't pick supply, admin, or security forces. Literally pick anything other than those and you'll be good
>>
>>32468856
>having an attitude like that
Why?
>>
>>32468889
Not in that way.

From what i've gathered a nuke in the navy does a lot but i'm told that's a shit job.
>>
>>32461445

Just FYI a nuke drop in sub school told us how a guy in his barracks started losing control of his bowel movements, went to see the doctor, and they told him to stop having anal sex. He said wtf I don't get fucked in the ass, told them to fuck off, and tried a million different ways to fix his problem. Problem persisted. Went to docs again, they said stop doing anal you dumb faggot. The conversation eventually led to a blood test and that's when they found traces of chloroform in his blood.

His roommate was putting chloroform on his pillow and then fucking his ass every. single. night. for 8 months or so.

Before his roommate was arrested, he tried throwing the dude over the balcony (nuke barracks are like a motel) in rage and got arrested too. So he got dat UCMJ for assault and his ass fucked on the reg for 8 months.

Enjoy nuke school.
>>
>>32468883
is it difficult to enlist in the airforce?
>>
>>32464182

Submariner here. Work with nukes every day. It isn't memes.
>>
Why are nukes this way?
I do not understand.
>>
>>32468985
Because autism
>>
>>32468985

Because people who are actually smart either do something better than the military or are lazy and the promise of hard fucking work for no reward (nuke) isn't appealing, they want something that's a decent balance between easy and fun so they can reap the benefits of the military for dat EZPZ life.

Nukes are almost exclusively the kids in HS with slightly above average intelligence but are autismo as fuck NEETs who do nothing with their lives. The Navy waives tons of money and buzz words like much nuclear much fission and muh engineering and the retarded autists soak it the fuck up.

They Navy begged and begged me to go nuke but I saw through their lies from the get-go because I don't have a social disorder.
>>
>>32468941
>His roommate was putting chloroform on his pillow and then fucking his ass every. single. night. for 8 months or so.
holy fuckin shit
>>
>>32469039
how is airforce or coastguard life for an above avg NEET?
>>
>>32468852
You're fine, going off of that if you're in your 20s you would have an APFT score of 265. Minimum is 240 with an 80% in each event to get into regiment. Be advised that testing prior to shipping you only need 60% in each event. By the time you get to RASP you'll want to be maxing out at 300.
>>
>>32468941
I call shenanigans. Where was this dude getting chloroform?
>>
>>32469135

Fuck if I know. It was a 100 forreal story though, almost every nuke who went through the pipeline around then knows of it. Most mail on military bases is still handled by civilians, so you can still buy illegal shit and whatnot online and get away with it as long as it's domestic.
>>
>>32468856

You misunderstand. Chem and ADA officers (and enlisted) don't play golf all day just because their branch is currently useless. They are "gainfully employed" doing branch immaterial bitchwork that people with real responsibilities don't have time for.

You're still doing shit, it's just mostly timewasting that has nothing to do with the stuff you were trained to do. Then when it's time to compete for promotions or find a civilian job, you basically have to make shit up since you spent your entire career doing nothing.
>>
>>32469164
>almost every nuke who went through the pipeline around then knows of it.

Like every other urban legend.
>>
>>32469069

I dunno faggot I'm a navy sonar tech.
>>
>>32469180

Okay dude clearly you know better than me. It isn't a "I heard it happened," type thing. It was a nuke drop being like, "This dude I knew," and another nuke drop who wasn't even friends with the first one joined in like, "haha fuck I remember that shit was wild."
>>
>>32469164
Can confirm. Was at El cid when this happened. Some kids in nuke school weren't all that autistic.
>>
>>32469229

Yeah there's a few who aren't spergs, but most of them end up dropping and going MMA on subs.
>>
honest q, no memes... is sexual assault really as high in military as the news portrays it to be?
>>
Is there anyway I can raise my chances of being a pilot in the USAF besides studying something with a strong math/physics base and getting a PPL?
>>
>>32469255
i don't know but i'm really fucking tired of quarterly fucking sharp training when i'm a fucking shutin faggot
>>
>>32468847
Is that true? I don't need to sign away 8 years? I mean I would if it's for what I need but you know.
>>
>>32468847
Read the post dummy, I said ROTC is a pathway to officer. Implying there's more than one path.
>>
Is Navy more relaxed on tattoos due to the dress uniform having gloves?
>>
>>32466949
No Idea. What is a rate?
>>
>>32469851

Wat. We don't normally wear gloves.

Regardless, tattoo regs somewhat recently (past 6 months or so) became more relaxed. Hand and even small neck tattoos are allowed now for special duties like recruiter and RDC. Still restrictions on content, nothing gang or drug related.
>>
>>32464090
Because an ODA is 12 men, that need 1 leader (O-3) and a split lead (wo) the rest, experienced enlisted who have been in the Army/Training for years, i.e. NCOs.
Can't afford some dumbfuck fucking up a mission.
>>
File: 1479781056333.jpg (148KB, 722x756px) Image search: [Google]
1479781056333.jpg
148KB, 722x756px
>>32468481
Drug use if i remember. If he had stayed quit they would have never known. He gave them the rope to hang him with when he opened his mouth.

>>32468941
I remember this.

>>32469255
Real assualt no. Women regretting having sex yes. Shit loads of fraternization occurs at all levels. When the chick gets in trouble she says she was assaulted to shift blame. Typical women. Dont shit where you eat.

>>32469851
>dress uniform having gloves?
They dont normally. Only at super specific ceremonies where medals would be worn instead of ribbons.

>>32470056
>rate
Navy word for job basically. Its job plus pay grade. Either way What jobs are you thinking about taking?
>>
File: 1459477951740.jpg (95KB, 650x501px) Image search: [Google]
1459477951740.jpg
95KB, 650x501px
>>32464172
>>32464212
>>32466570
In my original post, I said I got med temporarily med dropped >>32461081
I simply needed to get a medical waiver to enlist, and I never got it done after my recruiter got shady when I didn't get into his quota.

Now as for my fucking question
>I've attempted enlisting in one state
>Will it be known that I have done this, in a completely new state?
>>
>>32470459

So it's pretty clear on drugs you just keep your mouth shut, but in the opinion of the /meg/ is it worth it to do it for counseling stuff? Rule of thumb being stick to whatever you said at MEPs?
>>
>>32470747
Depends on the kind of counseling. Had a buddy get fucked because he went to family therapy when his parents divorced and didn't mention it, when they interviewed said parents it was brought up and he got shafted. Otherwise he would have been fine because it isn't mental health or anger management type stuff really so he should have put it down.
>>
>>32470842
The hell, SF86 tells you to put "no" if it's family or sexual assualt related.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (25KB, 412x83px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
25KB, 412x83px
>>32470940
He didn't put it down at MEPS, and they require all the documents on the medical side.
>>
>>32470991
So much for the "OPM don't talk to your CoC" meme
>>
>>32471019
>>32470940
>>32470747
It kills me i have to say this but get your family and friends on your side. Tell your stupid parents to keep their mouths shut and they wont know. It blows my mind how many peoples parents are fucking them over.
>>
Members of the reserve component of a branch can put in a request if they want to be deployed, right?

So say I plan to shoot for the 20 year mark and try to retire. If I put in a request for a deployment or special orders, and they decide to send me somewhere for X months, will those X months count towards my 'retirement points'?
>>
File: 1436344266122.jpg (41KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1436344266122.jpg
41KB, 690x460px
>>32467718
>>32467739
good to know thanks for typing that out, guys.
>>
File: socash.png (547KB, 559x559px) Image search: [Google]
socash.png
547KB, 559x559px
>>32471166
Buckle up for this one.

Yes you can deploy individually, serve on active orders locally, or get into a unit for their deployment. If you serve more than 179 consecutive days for anything other than training you get veteran status as well, automatically.

You need 50 points for a year to qualify, 1 point for each drill (typically 4 in a weekend), 1 point for active service per calendar day (this means 15 for your annual training), 1 point for funeral service, and 15 points per year for just being in. There are other options depending on branch to earn more, like upgrade training and correspondence courses. You need a bare minimum of 1,000 points to retire (20 years, minimum 50 a year). A basic year would be 78 points or so: 48 points for 12 monthly drills, 15 for membership, 15 for AT.

When it's all said and done you must have had 20 calendar years with the 50 points, they'll take the average pay of your last 36 months serving, then add up your points. Let's say you had 19 plain jane years and no extra credit (1,482) and one full deployment (365) you would retire at 1,847. They then divide by 360 and get your equivalent years of service (5). Now take your highest 36 months of basic pay (including active service) and this is the rate you'll work with. Then we take your equivalent years (5) and multiply by 2.5% (because active duty retirements get 2.5% per year served) to get 12.5% of your highest average base pay. Active duty retirement at 20 years starts at 50% of base pay for reference, they can draw this immediately. Reservists must wait until 60, only exception being IRR members called to active service get 3 months earlier per 90 days served (almost never happens).

Just had to go through this with my Dad. 5 years active, plus 2 full years of deployments, plus 16 good reserve years and some extra points, just over 3,600. He'll draw 25% of average base pay for his final years, (O-5 with over 22 years is roughly 9k) so about 2,250 is his pension.
>>
TS seems so daunting, do they really use lie detectors? They really go through every single address you've lived at? I've lived in a lot of places depending on how you look at it the past 7 years, how much will they ask old neighbors and landlords? ive moved around a lot since going to college. at some places i dont even know any landlords or neighbors any longer but have roommates that can vouch, but theyre mostly degenerates who could fuck things up for me. what if i just had two or three good friends attest where ive lived?

I feel like I'm thinking too much but I have so many questions, all the jobs i want require it but I'm scared i could be denied while in basic. Just read a horror story on leddit. They also made it seem like you needed to disclose any facebook friends that weren't American, that seems a bit heavy. But speaking of fb is it a smart idea to just delete all social media, I know it is anyway but for this.

I thought if you passed a drug test, were financially clean, lived in the US your entire life and weren't an open communist you were fine. Who knew if you didn't go in at 18 you needed to stay at one location and be a boring cunt to get clearance.
>>
I need some advice, /k/. My situation is a bit messy, so bare with me.

Out of high school in 2012, I tried to enlist in the Marines. All was going well, I had a solid ASVAB score and passed my MEPS physicals with no problem. But here's the problem. Ya see, no one told me to keep my mouth shut about the ADHD medicine I took when I was younger, which I hadn't taken in years. I got scared when they gave me the final papers at MEPS that basically asked shit like "is there anything you didn't tell us, if you don't we will find out and you will be in trouble" and ended up writing in about my ADHD. (No one told me to shut up about it, I was legit scared.). All of a sudden, I was sent back to the doc and DQ'd immediately. A few months of sitting on my ass, the recruiter tells me I can't get a waiver and it's not happening. I then try with a Navy recruiter, go to MEPS again, the whole nine yards. Hear nothing back from them, recruiter disappeared and never heard anything from that office for months. Got discouraged, quit trying for over a year.

At the end of last year, I decided to try again, after going to community college for the past two years. I try with the Army. Recruiter says it shouldn't be an issue to get my waiver, we go through the process again. Last I heard from him my waiver was apparently approved, but then I got the cold shoulder again and never heard from the recruiter, even after a few phone calls and emails. Feel like the military is dragging me around on my ass again and wasting my time, and I get discouraged again and quit (not to mention a few external factors going on with my family at the time).

I really want to be in the military. I am physically and mentally fit for service. But I feel like the system doesn't want me. Why did they keep dropping contact with me? Am I just not worth the effort for them? I don't understand how I had the waiver and then he just stopped communicating with me. What can I do?
>>
>>32468294
Be the best cadet. Slots are competitive in general for AF ROTC not to mention they have few slots for "camps" that are required to progress on the track.

On the bright side, if you get dropped or don't make the slots you can always transfer to other ROTC branches.
>>
>>32471503
bump for this.
>>
>>32471644
Forgot to mention they AF ROTC gives priority for STEM degrees. Do NOT expect to get anywhere outside of that.
>>
>>32471504
there's always the french foreign legion but you'd be surrounded by niggers and sand niggers.
>>
>>32471678
I've actually considered the FFL before but don't know if I'd ever want to go that far.
>>
>>32471644
Doe that entail anything other than do what is asked of you better than everyone else? Does the scholarship raise he odds?
>>
>>32471503
There is no such thing as a "lie detector". It's a polygraph and it's a pseudoscience. Of course the government knows this, but since movies and tv have ingrained the infallibility of the test into the general populace, they run with it and use it as a scare tactic to get people to admit to things that would DQ them.

On the sf86, you need to put down the adress of every place you've had permanent residence over the last 10 years. You don't need the names of your landlords or neighbors. You DO however need to give some friends and family as character witnesses. (This next bit doesn't apply to secret or classified clearence) They will then go to find the friends and family of the people you gave them. There is also a chance they will look for some old neighbors and ask them about you. However, the farther away the people they talk to get from you(relationship wise) then the more salt they take with them, unless it corroborates what the other interviewees told them.

Don't delete your social media unless they ask you. You can travel as much as you want, as long as it's not North Korea, China, or Russia you're good. You can also move where you live as much as you want as long as you can say where and how long on the sf86
>>
Is it stupid to take six months to one year off in order to train for SF selection?
>>
>>32472857
Take time off from what?
>>
>>32472868
Instead of directly enrolling I mean.
>>
When does the retirement plan change?
>>
>>32472857
Definitely not. It's a hard course, and if you train hard for the entire time you give yourself, 2 things should happen.

1- obviously you'll be more fit. Focus on running long distance, heavy rucking(never run with your ruck. Over the entire enlistment process, you'll only do it once or twice during SFAS as a proof of concept. It doesn't build muscle, endurance or anything worth it, as it just blows out your knees and puts you at risk for injury) maxing PT, and in general being a stud. Don't lift alot, and keep it practical. It may look intimidating to be 6' 250 lbs but it just makes running harder, and running is 90% of what you'll be doing.

2-it's an investment. Putting six months of hard training on the line is great motivation. If, during SFAS you feel like quitting just know that all the work you put in will be going down the drain.

I'd recommend doing 6 months over a year, because it will be easier to stay motivated but is still plenty of time to get in insane shape

Good luck
>>
i got out of marine crops last year and i dont like my job or what life is like outside of military
>anyone prior service recruiter or know a airforce recruiter
>wanting to do active duty combat controller, anyone have experience with em?
>>
>>32473060
Are there any good workout plans you would recommend for someone who is already scoring 250+ on the APFT
>>
File: 1stMRBCampPendleton.jpg (3MB, 5760x3240px) Image search: [Google]
1stMRBCampPendleton.jpg
3MB, 5760x3240px
Is it true that a lot of 03s end up EASing as Terminals? Or is that some by gone urban legend? I'm thinking of enlisting as an 0311 or an 0351, then going MARSOC if I decide to stay and wow the recruiters, and not get NJPed, get married, or fuck up.
>>
How much $ can I expect to leave with after 4 years of Airforce service considering that I am frugile with my money & don't drink?
>>
File: Nickygile.png (739KB, 595x597px) Image search: [Google]
Nickygile.png
739KB, 595x597px
Hey gang, I'm in the process of joining the MA Army National Guard as an 11b.

My recruiter said the two units are the 181 and the 182. The 181 has a deployment coming up soon and there is no way I'd get onboard with them. He said the 182 has a deployment "next year if they get slated to go. It would be spring to summer time. But thats just an estimate"

What exactly does that mean? Also he said there is no way of knowing where they'll be deployed, they originally were going to go to SE Asia or something but that got cancelled.
>>
File: TerminalLance.png (300KB, 896x612px) Image search: [Google]
TerminalLance.png
300KB, 896x612px
>>32473218
>I'm thinking of enlisting as an 0311 or an 0351, then going MARSOC

You and literally every other COD kiddie.

And yes they all EAS as Terminals. There is literally an iconic Maine Corps comic called 'Terminal Lance" about exactly that.
>>
>>32473392
Hard to tell but you could take a pay table and do some math. Everyone is different. The autistic dedicated answer is "everything you don't spend on functional necessities" if you live in the barracks and later move off base with room mates to split rent and utilities. Every young Airman has plenty of disposable income unless they are drunks (not your problem) or stupid or married LaQueefa and spewing out crotchfruit at burst setting.
>>
>>32473490
I'd like to know more before speaking with a recruiter...

So I am limited to my stay on base & would then be forced to move off & rent? I'm fine with either scenario.

Also being in the military, do I have easy access depositing the paychecks I receive to my bank account?
>>
>>32473525

You don't get paychecks in the military. It's direct deposit, no exceptions. People without bank accounts have to open one in boot camp.
>>
>>32473218
Honestly if you're trying for MARSOC you should be going 0321.
>>
>>32473525

Also, living on base is almost never REQUIRED but you don't get BAH (military pays your living costs) unless you're a certain rank (typically E5 or E4 over 4 years in) or married. There's guys who rent despite not getting BAH, but it's tough financially.

BAH is almost always more than what it actually costs to live somewhere (avg apartment or house rent here is around 900-1000 with BAH around 1400) so you can pocket that money if you're smart. Have to make rank or get hitched though, otherwise you'll be a barracks rat.
>>
>>32473630
If I were to enlist I would remain in barracks for 4 years, eat free food, not go out, & possibly purchase a car for around $2000. I would try to save as much money as possible.

I'm very interested in the military but have not entirely made my mind up yet.
>>
>>32473649

You would kill yourself in boredom.

Trust me dude, a lot of people think they're gonna save up like mad, but most don't. Regardless, the trick isn't to just stay in the barracks, that's dumb as fuck. The trick is to be hot shit, make rank to get BAH, and find the cheapest place to live so you can pocket the leftover BAH. Food is always free whether you're in the barracks or not, your command either supplies it at a galley or whatever or you get BAS which is damn near 400 bucks a month for food.

You can save money without being a total faggot, you know. Regardless, you ain't gonna save very much in 4 years. There's no real money to be saved in the military until you make sufficient rank, which is typically 3 years or so, closer to 2 if you're hot shit. I'll be up for E5 this next cycle which is my 2 year mark.
>>
Officer vs Enlisted

and why?
>>
>>32473738
thanks for the advice.

I'll try not to be a huge faggot.
Do you have to a big buff extrovert to fit in the military?

I'm not big, but I'm very fit, can take orders, & get my work done. While I don't socialize much, i have no problem being part of a team.
>>
File: rather be operating.jpg (119KB, 380x730px) Image search: [Google]
rather be operating.jpg
119KB, 380x730px
>>32473888
>>
Post 9/11 bill or montgomery?
>>
>>32473827
The one that has the job that you want to do.
>>
>>32474133
Post-9/11 is better for expensive schools. Montgomery is better for trade schools and the like.
>>
>>32474178
There's a difference between the job you want to do and the job you are best suited for.
>>
Is it true that you will get your first pay check after finishing bootcamp? What if a recruit has a wife and kids? I have a hard time believing that your average american family has the resources/savings to deal with 3 months of no income.
>>
>>32474196
Joining to do a job that you're 'best suited for" but hate is not a good idea.
>>
>>32474205
You get paid during boot camp.
>>
Is CTR a good job? I picked it at meps because I'm colorblind and couldn't get nuke. It was either MM or CTR/CTN.
>>
>>32474212
>Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country.
do you hate America bro?
>>
>>32474285
>Then there's one thing you men will be able to say when this war is over and you get back home. Thirty years from now when you're sitting by your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks, 'What did you do in the great World War Two?' You won't have to cough and say, 'Well, your granddaddy shoveled shit in Louisiana.' No sir, you can look him straight in the eye and say 'Son, your granddaddy rode with the great Third Army and a son-of-a-goddamned-bitch named George Patton!'

Do you hate yourself bro?
>>
>>32474294
Well. Fair enough.
>>
File: 1481263653710.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481263653710.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
hey /meg/

so long story short, i have alot of federal student loans that im going to need to pay off and still want to be able to finish my degree. i was looking into the army reserves, because that would fit into my schedule, but i was wondering what all of you would say advice wise?

any input would be valued
>>
As a single soldier living in the barracks in the US army, how important is it to have a car?

I have an old beater car (2000 honda accord) and a shitty motorcycle (1980 honda cm400t) and I am trying to figure out what to do with them before leaving for basic next month.

Should I sell them and just get a cheap reliable used car at my first duty station? Will I even really need a car or can I rely on uber and lyft?
>>
File: 1479335914578.jpg (875KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479335914578.jpg
875KB, 1920x1080px
>>32473392
>>32473525
I did 4 years in the navy and left with 35,000. I made E-5 but never collected BAH so if i had it would have been even higher.
What >>32473630
is saying is true but AF seems to give BAH early frequently.
>>32474133
>>32474186
Post is better in literally every way possible no exceptions. Thing is not every place takes it, thats where the shittier montgomery kicks in, which is for trade schools.

>>32474246
Yes very, but CTN is better.

>>32475281
All depends on the base. I was stationed at 32nd street San Diego and didnt have a car all 4 years. The train to downtown was 1 minute outside base and all my friends had cars. Glad i didnt get one cuase i was able to save all the money i would have spent plus the trolley system is so good you didnt really need one. Plus you could get stationed overseas and really not need one. Case by case basis senpai.
>>
File: 049.jpg (81KB, 660x548px) Image search: [Google]
049.jpg
81KB, 660x548px
>>32475281
Just sell them especially if they're just beaters. You could end up somewhere great near a metro area with public transport and whatever, or you could end up in a shithole where you won't really want to leave post anyway, or OCONUS.

Anytime there was something going on it was easy to find a ride anyway.
>>
>>32475395
>>32475409

Thanks for advice. What about owning a motorcycle in the military? Is it as easy as completing the required safety courses and wearing the right gear all the time or do some units not allow motorcycles?
>>
>>32475928
>What about owning a motorcycle in the military?
Best decision you can make senpai. This is from a navy pov at least.
>Super cheap on gas and maintenance
>Can whiteline usually to cut through insane base traffic in the morning
>Motorcycle parking literally right up against the gate to the pier
If you are going to get a vehicle and are in a place where it isnt going to rain/snow frequently id advise going with a motorcycle over a car hands down. And that base safety course is easy as shit and gets you out of work to boot.
Although, get your mind right. Arent you going to boot soon? You are worried about shit that doesn't matter ata all right now. Focus on boot senpai. One step at a time.
>>
>>32473888

Kinda depends on your job. Few jock types in the submarine force. Aviation Ordnance guys are mouthbreathing I can't resist sticking my penis in everything cavemen. But either way, there's guys of all types in the military and we all share a common bond. The dudes who are treated like losers pretty much gotta fucking try to be losers. There's a guy on our boat everyone hates, not because he loves Pokemon and is autistic, but because he'll snitch on a shipmate at first opportunity just because.
>>
>>32476280
Not the same guy but I'm a huge weeb (although I can conceal my powerlevel and never sperg out) and not very extroverted.
Am I going to hate it if I go infantry?
>>
File: marine-corps-silkies-mortars.jpg (57KB, 720x472px) Image search: [Google]
marine-corps-silkies-mortars.jpg
57KB, 720x472px
>>32476343
If you're strong ask for mortars. They're always a little wacko.
>>
>>32476382
I was thinking about asking to be a marksman.
>>
>>32476382
war heads on forheads
>>
File: MSOT-8222.jpg (125KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
MSOT-8222.jpg
125KB, 800x600px
>>32476408
They too have something a little off about them, but you won't be able to go straight to it until you've been on the line for a little bit.
>>
>>32462495
>>32465970

>Read in David Attenborough's voice
"And here we see the infantrymen, common ly referred to as 'grunts', artificially inflating themselves. Whether currently serving or retired, they go out of their way to verbally assault any personnel outside of their own tribe, an act that arises out of a knowledge that they volunteered for the worst job in the military. In denial of their wasted years shoveling shit and cutting the grass in times of peace, and calling for support the moment shots were fired on their rare hot moments abroad, they feed into their own hive mind, constantly assuring both themselves and each other that they are, in fact, the alpha dogs. The only people exempt from this mentally blind assault are those within the special operations, who the infantry constantly claim they could of joined if they so choose."
>>
>>32466304
>>32467433
>>32468294

Can't speak for AF of N ROTC, but for Army aviation, the slots are extremely competitive, with infantry, military intelligence, and aviation constantly being the most sought after branches.

Get the highest GPA you can. Do well on the SIFT(?) test. Max your PT tests. Do well at camp.

t. AROTC guy who wants to go armor but has friends who have either gotten aviation or are in pursuit of it
>>
>>32476450
How long does it usually take?
I take it you have to be good at topography and obviously have to shoot well
>>
>>32476525
Be advised, you only get 2 chances at the SIFT. The other alternative is resigning you commission/dropping ROTC and going warrant, which would be quite easy with a degree.
>>
Is it difficult to join active duty and go to OCS with a bachelors degree but no real military experience or contacts?

Also out of curiosity do people who did ROTC and graduated go to OCS?
>>
>>32472655
>Russia
I went here for a few days a few years ago, is that a DQ or would it make it really hard? It was on a cruiseship.
>>
What kind of cool guy shit can you get up to in the Navy?
>>
>>32476944
>What kind of cool guy shit can you get up to in the Navy?

See

>>32468941
>>
>>32476834
yes
>>
>>32477003
What was that a yes to?

If the first question how difficult?
>>
>>32468941
bullshit
>>
>>32477024

Nigga there's like 3-4 people who confirmed it already.
>>
>>32476944
Depends on job.
CS/cook-not much
SEAL-a lot

>>32477024
While i was there i shit you not 3 people killed themselves in the first month.
>>
>>32459083
Currently at fort Sam Houston for 68w AIT

If you have any questions for this mos ask away :)
>>
>>32477165
You gonna drop a packet to head to RASP?
>>
Is this thread only for yanks? Not a /k/ regular but I'm starting to seriously consider enlisting.
>>
Is the AF more willing to give waivers if the recruit wants to go PJ and they believe he can make it?
>>
>>32476525
>t. AROTC guy who wants to go armor

Why armor when high speed specialties are better for career? For the next twenty years the Army will be looking to shrink armor, not expand it. Wheeled vehicles and ATGM have made MBTs obsolete besides which they don't require despised non-infantry humans to drive them.

Armor is a good way not to make General.
>>
>>32477174
No, I'm not very high speed
>>
>>32477378
Yeah, depending on severity, those contracts are an easy sell.
>>
>>32474285
If you hate your job you're not going to be effective and you're going to get out. That's less 'for your country' than choosing a job that you'll like and may stay in for.
>>
>>32476834
>Is it difficult to join active duty and go to OCS with a bachelors degree but no real military experience or contacts?

About half of the people who attend OCS are brand new to the military. It's fine.

>Also out of curiosity do people who did ROTC and graduated go to OCS?

No.
>>
>>32477378
Yes because they need more people to be in security forces.
>>
>>32477165
Why did your command make you fly in uniform for christmas exodus? That shit is retarded.
>>
>>32477429
>Yeah, depending on severity, those contracts are an easy sell.
Can you expand a little bit? They are an easy sell?
>>32477470
Harsh, but probably true.
>>
>>32477310
Not sure what you mean but anyone can enlist you dont have to be a gun nut beforehand.
>>
>>32477516
People that want AFSOC are moto and usually in shape, easy quota. Also for the people that have no clue what they want to do, it's easy to talk up and tailor to their interests.
>>
>>32477550
>moto
I don't know this term
>usually in shape
I would have assumed anyone even asking about a PJ contract would be maxing out the PT tests
>>
>>32477481
Idk.

Only dudes who flew back to Puerto Rico got to wear their civilian shit back
>>
File: PAST.png (49KB, 662x573px) Image search: [Google]
PAST.png
49KB, 662x573px
>>32477568
Moto=motivated/motivation. You need to complete the PAST to get the contract. Most high school athletes can do it just fine and the recruiter will pump their ego up if they pass it.
>>
>>32477135

I think it's funny how civilians are like, "nah there's no way that happened," but anyone who either went nuke or works with nukes regularly understands how plausible that story and the other stories regarding nukes are.

That, or its just prospective nukes who drank the kool-aid and refuse to accept they were duped by their recruiters.
>>
>>32477670
Well that's not bad at all, I can definitely pass that as is. So you do think they are willing to give waivers if they are eligible for the contract? Its not medical, just tattoos out of regs.
>>
>>32473218
>>32473218

I was an 0351. I EASd as a Corporal, but only barely. I picked up on May 1st and went on terminal leave on May 13th. Still enough time for me to be a dick watcher for a piss test and to get fucked with barracks duty 4 times in 13 days though.

Not sure if things have changed but while I was in (2009-13) 0351 was consistently the highest cutting score in the infantry, and one of the highest in the entire USMC. There were many 3-4 months periods where the score was locked out.
>>
File: DSCF0049_1.jpg (701KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0049_1.jpg
701KB, 1600x1200px
>>32478119

Should have mentioned: It's fun as fuck blowing shit up all the time, breaching doors, walls, etc. and unlike 0352s you actually get to use your training and shoot rockets a fair bit. I probably shot around around 60 inert trainers and 30 live rockets(11 in combat) during my 4 years. If you are looking for a job in the grunts that supplies the maximum amount of boners and don't care too much about the promotion track, 0351 is the way to go.
>>
File: 54pJnpNMicg.jpg (155KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
54pJnpNMicg.jpg
155KB, 1200x800px
What is a good combat arms MOS that will allow me to sham out a lot of the BS?
>>
File: 49bbaa2369fc99d52.jpg (81KB, 610x401px) Image search: [Google]
49bbaa2369fc99d52.jpg
81KB, 610x401px
>>32478358
R E C O N

or anything comms/forward observation/medical on the line
>>
>>32471504

Bro, the same shit happened with me and a waiver situation. It sucks. You gotta remember 'everyone lies at MEPS.'

Fucking EVERYONE. No matter what internet retards say.

Anyway, you should have gone to the Army and not mentioned a thing. They don't cross-examine this shit.

Your best bet honestly would be to go to either another Army recruiter, maybe a National Guard recruiter would help you, or, truly, I would join the FFL if I could do it all again.

Source - guy who tried to play the game 'the right way' and has been attempting to enlist since he was 20, and has watched guys with legit major drug, behavioral and criminal histories get in and out before him.

Telling the truth is for suckers.
>>
Does the Army still have anything like the long range reconnaissance patrols?
>>
>>32477533
I think he wants advice for joining the British Armed Forces.
>>
what kind of checks do they do for TSC for MI
>>
>>32478536
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Surveillance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance,_surveillance,_and_target_acquisition_(United_States)
That's what the Ranger Regiment is technically supposed to specialize in, but like most SOCOM units they've focused on raids more in recent years.
>>
>>32478119
>1618 cutting score just to reach NCO for an 0351
>1687 for an 0311
>1641 for an 0331
horeee shiet, this discourages me from going infantry, and all those horror stories of getting shit on by others in the Sandbox by not blowing shit up and getting relegated to lugging M2s really motivates me to risk it and go Ricky Recon.
>>
>>32478613
It doesn't matter, because they already know the answer to every question they ask you.

They're far more interested in what you withhold, or what can be used as leverage against you.
>>
File: fckkwLPPhjA.jpg (88KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
fckkwLPPhjA.jpg
88KB, 604x453px
What are some good non ranger and airborne schools to go to?
>>
>>32478617

>1618 cutting score just to reach NCO for an 0351

Holy shit, is that for real? That's actually really low. It was never below 1700 while I was in. I think I picked up with a 1709 in my last month before EAS.
>>
I'm in AIT so I don't want to use sand to weight my ruck which I normally did at home. What the best idea for using weight plats in a ruck? Or what else would you guys recommend for weighting it?
>>
>>32478700

advanced urban breacher's course
>>
File: 2879.jpg (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
2879.jpg
50KB, 250x250px
>>32478536
Not for long, all the active LRS companies are going to be folded because muh drones. From my understanding, it will be warped into a special troops platoon tasked to HHC for the new battlefield surveillance brigades (BfSB). Even half of the LRS companies in the Guard have been folded. Down here in the Alabama Guard they warped the one into a infantry detachment tasked to SF support, and was previously cav troop for some reason.

https://www.stripes.com/army-looks-to-deactivate-long-range-surveillance-companies-1.419337

>>32478615
You clearly do not know what you're talking about. The 75th has always been traditional infantry line unit structure focused on raids, across the whole regiment there is only 1 recon company.
>>
>>32478766
I just assumed that since all Army LRRP units were folded into the 75th when it was first founded, they would've kept at least some LRRP capability.
>>
File: kiddo.jpg (18KB, 326x264px) Image search: [Google]
kiddo.jpg
18KB, 326x264px
>>32478805
Yeah, but when the stood up the bats after Vietnam they drew lineage all the way from Darby and became regular infantry on steroids again.

All SOF overlap in capability, but most have distinct mission sets.
>>
>>32474611

Check the Guard. They usually have way bette benefits for State Schools and/or federal loans.
>>
What kind of specialized schools are available to the Air Force?
>>
>>32479543
*anything besides pilot and specialized officer training for enlisted members, preferably in system operations and intelligence fields
>>
>>32470493
If you're gonna be a prissy little cunt don't expect anyone to help you in life. If this is how you handle criticism you don't belong in the military.
>>
File: 1483039112563.jpg (121KB, 450x340px) Image search: [Google]
1483039112563.jpg
121KB, 450x340px
can I convince the US Army to enlist me at the rank of E-4 if I only have 53 college credits, including WEMT Certification and French fluency/travel?
>>
>>32479836
No
<30 E1
30-59 E2
60-89 E3
90+ E4
>>
>>32470493

Kill yourself and answer what you were dropped for faggot. No one is gonna help you be a little bitch.
>>
>>32479836
>>32479869

This. Unless you qualify for ACASP.
>>
>>32479836
I got E-4 under ACASP with just an NREMT-B, ymmv though as some guys didn't get it unless they had their intermediate/paramedic. You won't get shit for 'travel' but you might get a bonus if you can pass the DLPT.
>>
>>32478700
UPL
MRT
ATFP
>>
new bread?
>>
>>32481016
got chu bruh

>>32481065
>>
>>32476884
It's not a DQ from anything that doesn't require clearence. It will however make getting a clearence very hard, but I doubt impossible. Considering it was a stop on a cruise and the US's improving relationship with the ruskies, it should be possible
>>
>>32477310
No, we frequently get Brits like yourself and Aussie posters as well as the occasional continental European poster. I think I even saw an Egyptian a few threads ago
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.