[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 56

File: 07040610.jpg (236KB, 800x961px) Image search: [Google]
07040610.jpg
236KB, 800x961px
old:
>>32459083

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Leaving for France to try join the Foreign Legion a week from Sunday. Starting to get nervous even though I'm in the best shape of my life and I've been doing nothing but PT and teaching myself French for the past 6 months.
>>
>>32481116
Good luck and please check back in as often as youre able to let us know how it is.
>>
>>32481159

Thanks man. I'll actually be in Paris for 2 weeks before hitting the Legion gates at De Nogent around the 23rd or 24th. I rented a room(more like a closet, pic related) for a really cheap price off of airbnb as it is the offseason right now. I figured if I am about to sign away my life again I might as well enjoy my last couple weeks of freedom exploring the city and taking in the new culture. From my research it seems that you are pretty much cut off from contact with the outside world for the first 5-6 months after joining, so the earliest I'd be able to check in is late June/early July if everything goes according to plan.

I just hope I get accepted. It's a long way to go to get rejected. I've got half a mind to skip on over to Ukraine or Syria if the Legion doesn't take me.
>>
File: 1482936486226.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482936486226.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you ain't infantry, you ain't SHIT
>>
>>32481270
Godspeed /K/omie, If it doesn't work out Come to Texas and become a private Security contractor
>>
How can I join any branch? I live in Finland. So far no luck. None of the military branches can sponsor a green card either. They stopped doing that in 2004 or 2006 I can't remember when. I've tried USMC, US Army, US Navy and Air Force. They just can't sponsor the green card. I tried the Army first time in 2008 already.
>>
>>32481452

Except employed afterwards.
>>
I been worried my ASVB not going to be high enough for the job I want.

>When I was in highschool ai used to skip a lot because I wanted to be "special" or whatever I missed a lot of Important knowledge
>>
>>32481537

If you're that worried, grab a study guide and study.
>>
>>32481537
https://uniontestprep.com/asvab/practice-test

Study nigger
>>
File: awards.jpg (72KB, 812x404px) Image search: [Google]
awards.jpg
72KB, 812x404px
Post stacks
>>
File: 1481198189949.jpg (131KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1481198189949.jpg
131KB, 720x960px
>>32481531
Nah, they just become cops. Have to put those vet preference points to use my dude.
>>
>>32481116

Takes a special type of crazy to go out for that, especially for first-world anglophones. I understand it though. There's a certain uniqueness and mystique about the FFL that can't be matched by anything else in the world. The Legion also has the best marching chants. Many adopted from the Nazis. Their slower marching pace makes for an entrancing spectacle when they sing. I'm sure you've probably already seen this video but it's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnDyJZ2ygw

bonne chance camarade.
>>
File: ezrack.png (106KB, 367x158px) Image search: [Google]
ezrack.png
106KB, 367x158px
>>32481581
No cool shit.
>>
>>32481790

2 nat def medals is pretty cool IMO. Proves you're an old-timer.
>>
>>32481809
Was worth it, just have to wait to get that sweet pension check now.
>>
File: myarmyribbons.jpg (55KB, 374x736px) Image search: [Google]
myarmyribbons.jpg
55KB, 374x736px
>>32481581
>>
File: 1471200719780.png (1MB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471200719780.png
1MB, 720x960px
Is it feasible to run twice a day? Or is it generally better to stick to run once a day for recovery time?
>>
>>32481839

How long have you been in? Must be what, 24 years at least?
>>
File: 1482449792989.png (207KB, 500x646px) Image search: [Google]
1482449792989.png
207KB, 500x646px
Can someone please explain how air force job selection works? I can't find any good information on it. All i know is that you can't pick a specific job before shipping out, like the army and navy.
>>
>>32481595

Hell, I's a POG and did that.

It's funny, I was/am a POG and still fucked up my head/joints/perspective/faith in humanity.
>>
Have you guys ever thought of reenlisting after your first [spoiler]and probably final[/spoiler] 4 year contract? This has been bothering me since Senior year of HS, sticking in the military for a while seems like a better idea than immediately using the GI Bill to go college/university.
>>
>>32481116
What made you choose to join the Legion?
>>
>>32481516
Interested in this too, though I doubt the US armed forces would allow you to enlist if you're not a permanent resident
>>
>>32482246

Eh, on the one hand you could retire at 39 (for me) and be well-funded to start the rest of your life (college, small business, etc)

On the other hand, you just spent 20 years being half-assed paid for whole-ass work and your peers were having kids, scoring six figures or high fives in a family-conducive environment while spending summers in Destin and driving a new Rubicon on 37's without losing their joints, sanity and virulity.
>>
Any 68W's here? My enlistment window is closing in February, and medic is probably the best reclass that's being offered to me right now. I'm an E4 11B, and I'm kind of burnt out with it. The reenlistment options for lower enlisted 11B are shit right now, too, so I think it might be time for a change.

I might just get out and go join the French Foreign Legion, instead.
>>
>>32482314
You don't wanna' try out for operator tier shit?
>>
>>32482402
I'm too shitty at rucking to pass selection, and Ranger bat doesn't really interest me. Besides, I could still try out for selection or civil affairs if I was a 68w. Also, the Legion would be cool in it's own right.
>>
>tfw can't make a choice between going for a comfy MOS with actual civilian equivalents or going full retard and asking for paratrooper/SF
>>
>>32482733
do the cool one
>>
>>32483016
why?
>>
>>32483018
Because what else are you going to do with your miserable life?
>>
>>32483070
Nothing, I guess
Everyone's telling me to go for some cybersec technical mos but you're probably right, I'll regret it anyway if I don't go for it now
>>
File: rack.jpg (40KB, 271x191px) Image search: [Google]
rack.jpg
40KB, 271x191px
>>32481581
>>
>>32482284
>peers were having kids, scoring six figures or high fives in a family-conducive environment while spending summers in Destin and driving a new Rubicon on 37's
You got some good peers
>>
>>32482284

Most of my peers from High School make less than I do as an NCO. They definitely get more family time, but military pay ain't bad.
>>
>>32481790
Two AF Recognition ribbons? How'd you get those?
>>
I scored 90 on my ASVAB (125gt score) and chose a 3 year infantry contract with an $8000 bonus.

Am I retarded?

I wanted to get option 40 in my contract but I have a medical waiver for a shoulder surgery so that wasn't possible.

My goal is to go to RASP. If I don't get a chance to volunteer for RASP in basic, is it possible to request RASP when I am in a regular infantry unit?
>>
>>32483662

Every week there's some infantry dude with a 90+ ASVAB trying to get everyone to suck their dick for being some sort of philosopher warrior.

Tons of dudes with decent scores enlist infantry, you aren't special. Despite what your recruiter probably told you, 90 AFQTs are fairly common.

Yes, you're retarded. Yes, you can try to get RASP at BCT or afterwards. No, there's no secret password that is going to guarantee you get a shot. The majority of your peers will probably have the same plan ("muh rangur") and most of them will likely not get the opportunity to go.

The best thing you can do right now if that is your goal is show up to BCT able to max the APFT.
>>
What is married life like in the Army? My gf is getting ideas and I don't know where to directly ask military wives how badly it hurt their relationship. On a scale from Naive to Down's Syndrome how fucktarded would I be to still try to join up after this? I'm sorry if this is kind of confused because I just woke up and she told me all this.
>>
>>32483775

Military marriages have incredibly high rates of divorce and infidelity. It's stressful being away from family for long periods of time, and regular moves ensure that your spouse can't have a consistent group of friends or a job. This is why NCOs always tell their new guys not to fucking get married.

Privates still get married at an incredible rate though because:

1. It basically fucking doubles your paycheck and gets you out of a huge amount of the bullshit the military piles on.

2. They all believe that their love is special and different, and that their High School sweetheart totally won't gain 150 pounds, spend all their money, and then cheat on them.

For every one that "makes it work", there's a fuckton of divorces. It isn't uncommon to see someone coming up to retirement with 2-3 divorces under their belt.
>>
>>32483827
>1. It basically fucking doubles your paycheck and gets you out of a huge amount of the bullshit the military piles on.
Why would the military incentivize this?
>>
>>32483859

Because the military has a relatively unbroken line of "tradition" in its pay system going back to the early 1900s. Back then, the man got a job and supported his family off of it. That means wages were higher for family men.

Every other industry has been able to slowly move away from this. You have a wife? Make her work and get dual income so you can have a "decent" quality of life.

Making sweeping cuts to married military pay is a *really* hard sell though. The military has never been able to get rid of it.

At later ranks it doesn't make as much of a difference, but it's huge for junior enlisted. Like I said, in some places it'll easily double your take home pay, plus you get to live in your own house/apartment, buy/cook your own food, and generally get treated like an adult. Meanwhile your unmarried buddies are sharing a shitty barracks room, getting paid less, and can basically be called upon at any time of day to do random bullshit.

It's not hard to see why people get married. It's just a shame that a significant portion of them will be divorced 2-5 years later. A lot of guys end up offing themselves over it too. A divorce is not easy to handle when you just pile it on top of regular military stress.
>>
>>32483750
Were you infantry?
>>
>>32483935

This. The quality of life increase as an E-2 getting married is like three/four promotions all at once. I definitely lived better as a married E-2 than my unmarried E-5 NCOs.
>>
Which specialties in the army tend to have the least amount of dumb fucks?
Which tend to have the most?
>>
Serving Canadian Armed Forces member. Any questions, concerns, comments, quarrels, quandaries?
>>
>>32483662
How the fuck did you swing an $8,000 bonus? 11b lower enlisted is over staffed right now.

If you're a stud in basic, you might get a slot in rasp. They let anyone with a 270 on the apft go for it in my company. Also, like >>32483750 said, a 90 asvab in the infantry isn't all thst uncommon. I have a 95, I knew a dude who had a 98 with a 137 GT, and most of the dudes in my squad have great line scores. Also, your GT score is what you should care about for schools and stuff. Your actual asvab score doesn't really mean dick after you enlist. To be honest, pogs are the only ones who measure their dicks with asvab scores. Anyone who does this is a tool, anyways.

Fun fact, infantry -allegedly- have the highest average asvab scores. I don't know how true this is, but I could see it. I don't know if it's the fact that smart dudes don't want boring jobs or what, but I've met the smartest people in my whole life in regular old infantry line companies. Tons of borderline retards too, but still plenty of smart dudes.
>>
>>32483827
Thanks for telling me all this, if it comes down to her or a career I haven't even started yet I'm going to choose her. Got a lot of thinking to do now.
>>
>>32481452

This. Fuck POGs
>>
>>32484139
I didn't do anything special for the $8000 bonus it was part of the contract that came up in my list of jobs. Really glad I got it because I wasn't expecting any bonus.

I know the infantry comes with a lot of bullshit and hard work, but I want a challenge and I miss the camaraderie I had with my teammates on my high school and college wrestling teams. Infantry seems like a good place to find that.
>>
>>32484139

>Fun fact, infantry -allegedly- have the highest average asvab scores.

That'd be one of the smaller communities that have really high ASVAB requirements and academic training pipeline. Infantry is the second largest basic branch, so the ASVAB scores are going to hover around average no matter what you do.
>>
>>32484288
>one of the smaller communities that have really high ASVAB requirements and academic training pipeline
Such as? Not counting sf
>>
>fell for the trap meme
>have slender body and b-cup now
>can never remove kebab
>can never spend three years climbing mountains and getting screwed up knees with bros
>only chili mac ever tasted came from a can in a supermarket
Did I miss out /meg/
>>
>>32484337
Its not too late if you have skills that can be put to use.
>>
>>32484337
>spend three years climbing mountains and getting screwed up knees with bros
Sounds like my dream job, what's that MOS?
>>
>>32484384
911, Afghani Hilltop Administrator/Dungeon Master
>>
>>32484334

Cyber, probably. You need a very high score just to go to the school, and most people fail it.

MI is probably pretty high as far as ASVAB too. Even the "easiest" MI MOS requires a good score and 5~ months of school.

There are a lot of smart infantrymen, but there are a fuckton of retarded ones too.
>>
>>32484379
Ohh, it is too late dude. Social engineering be damned, Obama didn't make the military THAT liberal. What tore it was doing the Marine pull-up bar at an event in my city. They all seemed so happy that I managed to get 10. And then I wondered what it was like to be that in-love with your job, and wondered what the fuck I was doing with my life

Aside from fencing skills, I've got nothin
>>
>>32484403
Cyber and intel are very close, why are they considered separate?
>>
>>32484433

>Ohh, it is too late dude. Social engineering be damned, Obama didn't make the military THAT liberal

What are you talking about? Transgender individuals will be allowed to join the military starting in 2017. It's definitely happening.

>What tore it was doing the Marine pull-up bar at an event in my city. They all seemed so happy that I managed to get 10.

This is a recruiting meme. It isn't that they're in love with their jobs, that's just part of this particular recruiting tactic.

>Wow anon, you did SO MANY pull-ups, we sure could use a big strong Marine like you. Why, I bet we could even get you in with some extra rank.

"Pull-up competitions" are the oldest High School recruiting tactic in the book.
>>
>>32484433
Well you can always find that somewhere else. Hope something gives.
>>
>>32484492

Cyber recently split off from Signals/MI in the Army. Cyber is more focused on how cyber warfare can have effects on the battlefield, whereas MI was always more concerned with the intelligence value of digital information.
>>
>>32483327
>>32483411

I make more than most of my high-school buddies as well, but only because I'm in the military and they're broke college kids. But most of them are from a really nice area with well-connected parents and will make six figures relatively quickly like their parents and their grandparents (not my family lol, we're poor) and I'll have to work quick to catch up after one term.

But if I stayed in 20... huge gap.
>>
>>32484509

>most of them are from a really nice area with well-connected parents and will make six figures relatively quickly like their parents and their grandparents

Median personal income for 25+ year old is like $50k/yr. More like $70k if they have a degree. The military handily beats the median, even with a degree.

Your area is outside of the norm, anon. Most people in the US won't ever get paid as well as the military does.

That's just talking about enlisted too. Typically people from your neck of the woods would be commissioning. If they commission, they'll make as much or more than their peers, and retire earlier. So the military is still a great route for them.
>>
>>32484492

We're not that close.

Don't ever pool us autismos (MI) with those fucking wall-huggers in cyber.
>>
>>32484572
>MI
>autismo
What
You're talking about sigint exclusively right? Even then I find that hard to believe, the only autists in the military I've met were navy subs
>>
How competitive is it to get into USUHS? I'm thinking about becoming a doctor in the military, ill be paying for my first four years of college. Unless I do ROTC but then that' d be 16 years in the military.
>>
>>32484572
So, what does MI usually do all day? Both in garrison and while deployed, if you would be so kind.
>>32484590
>Navy subs
I don't know anyone in the navy, but if I had to guess, nuke officers would be highest on the spectrum. I read that they hang out in their little bunkers for days on end with nothing to do but talk to each other and beat their dicks.
>>
File: mol.jpg (36KB, 1187x169px) Image search: [Google]
mol.jpg
36KB, 1187x169px
>>32484139

>Fun fact, infantry -allegedly- have the highest average asvab scores. I don't know how true this is, but I could see it.

Its probably BS that they have the highest average but I definitely agree with you that infantryman have much higher scores than most give them credit for. I had a 98 and I know quite a few people in my platoon that were 90+. The myth that the grunts are full of cannon fodder that were too dumb to be used elsewhere is just that: a myth. It's a natural instinct in man to want to go to battle and to prove to himself that he has the skill to be a conqueror and to kill his enemies. This instinct is felt by intelligent and unintelligent alike. Today's recruiting practices are more about identifying people with such a drive and putting them in the right place with the right training rather than the old pre-vietnam approach of just throwing as many relatively untrained bodies at the problem as possible.

That's not to say that there aren't idiots in the grunts, because there definitely are, but there's plenty of intelligent people to balance them out.
>>
>>32482266

I'm 26. I'm growing apart from everything I used to value in here in the states. All of my old friends are getting married/having kids or advancing through their careers. I'm working shitty nightshifts and part time jobs. Having spent 2 tours/16 months as a grunt in Helmand province, I know I am capable of much more than sorting packages in a warehouse. I don't want to waste what I have left of my peak physical years doing nothing. I want to grab life by the balls and make it my bitch again.
>>
>>32484766
Doesn't it bother you that you'll be cut away from everything for six months?
I mean, it sounds trivial but having no access to the internet, to a cellphone, even being unable to talk to your acquaintances sounds pretty harsh, doesn't it? I had thought about joining the legion at some point (I'm a frenchfag) but I found that aspect to be somewhat difficult to deal with.
Although if you have no close family I guess it makes things easier.

Do you know what regiment you'd like to be a part of, or is it the légionnaire life in general that you feel pulled to?
>>
>>32481572
>studying for an ASVAB
Isn't that kinda like cheating? I mean, that's like studying for an IQ test, or the SAT. IMO the whole point is ruined if you don't walk in cold.
>>
>>32484554

It is outside the norm, most will break 70K before 30 without too much trouble. Silicon Valley of the South. Like I said, low sixes or high fives.

I've been in for two years and like I said, better money today, but not in twenty years. The top pay level for a CSM isn't that damn high.
>>
What do you do when you skate duty?

Like I understand what skating is and various ways to accomplish it, but what happens after they stop looking for you? Just go back to doing nothing?
>>
>>32481993
>Is it feasible to run twice a day? Or is it generally better to stick to run once a day for recovery time?
Every other day. Make a weekly sched that goes like this:
>run
>upper body
>run
>lower body & core
and so on. You can add some jogs to your non-run days, especially as a cool-down exercise.

On every single one of those days, make sure to begin with some warm-ups and finish with stretches.
>>
>>32484590

No, those Golfs are fucking weird.

>>32484625

>what do you do in garrison?

Not shit. Clearances and staff duty and details.

>deployed

Some shit. CIUB, CLIC work, attached to some HUMINTers maybe, tower guard, convoy security, might get to fly a Raven B or go up in a Constant Hawk.
>>
First time posting, do any engineers, especially EODs post on these threads regularly?

I joined the Bundeswehr almost a year ago and am on my way to become an EOD Sergeant. I still have a solid 3 years of courses and trainings ahead of me to call myself that though.
>>
File: DSCF0430_1.jpg (592KB, 1408x1056px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0430_1.jpg
592KB, 1408x1056px
>>32484826

>Doesn't it bother you that you'll be cut away from everything for six months?

No, in fact I relish such conditions. On my first deployment I lived in pic related for 6 months. 8 people packed into a small mud room with no electricity, toilets, showers, running water, the only food was MREs and the only contact with the outside world was by mail. nearly every day one of our patrols would be ambushed or our Outpost itself would be attacked. It was the best experience I've ever had in my life. There's a certain simplicity in it that is impossible to find in civilian life. The closer you live to death, the more alive you feel. Although I will admit that the first shower I had after that 6 months was legendary. One of the most comfortable feelings I've ever felt. Like what I imagine being in the womb feels like.

>Do you know what regiment you'd like to be a part of, or is it the légionnaire life in general that you feel pulled to?

I'll go wherever the Legion sends me, but(assuming I am selected of course) I will be trying for the 2 REP or the 3 REI. I've heard that the REP likes prior service anglophones so hopefully I have that going for me. Regardless I'm going to try to finish as high as possible in my basic training group to hopefully ensure I get my choice and go to the REP.
>>
>>32484880
Hide out in your room and keep your phone on loud,
>>
>>32484924
So basically go back to doing nothing.

Until Gunny needs another work party and then you try to skate again. So that's really it, you just avoid getting seen by someone looking for you and then go back to your room?
>>
>>32484939
Pretty much
>>
>>32484959
Huh, that actually sounds just as bad as the work party. I'd rather do something than just sit around
>>
>>32485038

Or you could play XBox.
>>
>>32485038
Doing something sounds nice until you find out that something is a layout or cleaning a motor pool.
>>
>>32485038

I'm assuming you're gonna be a grunt. When you are in garrison, other than like an hour of PT in the mornings, most time spent during the work day as a non-nco grunt is going to be in your room unless you are on a working party or at dental or getting vaccines or something. like >>32485099 said get a game system. Pick up whichever console is more popular amongst your peers, FIFA, Rocket League and a few other competitive games. Your barracks is going to be like a big console LAN party during the workdays, occasionally interrupted by annoying bullshit.
>>
>USAF website has an ad specifically for Security Forces
Are they really that desperate
>>
>>32485099
>>32485157
Very insightful, I did not know any of this.

Do any guys play PC stuff or is it mostly console gaming?
>>
File: bricks.jpg (130KB, 1594x953px) Image search: [Google]
bricks.jpg
130KB, 1594x953px
>>32485183

a few guys had PCs but they are a minority. The logistics of living in the barracks make consoles the better option. There's really not a lot of room to put a full size gaming rig. Also most of your peers are going to be from the dudebro CoD strata of gamers and are gonna naturally prefer consoles anyway.

pic related is us getting down on a 1v1 Mario Kart 64 tourney.
>>
>>32481581
>>
>>32484922
You were in infantry? When were you deployed?
The way you talk about that experience does make it sound pretty unique.
What's it like to actually risk your life on the field, though? Sorry if that's a stupid question

>2 REP
Yeah, it's still considered to be the most prestigious in the legion iirc, so I'm assuming it's quite hard to be selected for it?

By the way, are légionnaires allowed to own phones, cars, computers and all that once they're done with training? Or do they have to devote themselves to the legion entirely?
>>
>>32485298
>Also most of your peers are going to be from the dudebro CoD strata of gamers
That's kind of what I figured. I'm in college right now and I'll be graduating next December but I don't think I have the capacity to get an appointment to OCS so I'm considering enlisting for infantry. Just kind of wondering what the day to day is like.

I have a nice laptop that I play games on so I don't need a ton of space if I did play

I do have a SNES and a ton of games for it.
>>
What does one do in intelligence
>>
>>32485312
>By the way, are légionnaires allowed to own phones, cars, computers and all that once they're done with training?
Based on some quick googling all of those things are privileges that must be earned with rank.

And it sounds like cellphones must be prepaid and cannot have a camera
>>
>>32485300
>dat bronze star without v device
>one campaign medal

Deployed once as an lt, then never went back?
>>
>>32481065
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdysW4Pw_SE
>>
>>32485312

>You were in infantry? When were you deployed?

Yeah I was a grunt. The deployment I'm describing in that post was in 2010 to Helmand Province(the most deadly province and most deadly year of the war).

>Yeah, it's still considered to be the most prestigious in the legion iirc, so I'm assuming it's quite hard to be selected for it?

Actually not as hard as you might think. It's true that it's the most prestigious regiment, but it's also the biggest. From what I've researched it seems that there are 10-12 spots for the REP from each training cycle(for a group of ~50 guys). Also, many people who join the Legion, especially the 3rd-worlders, are doing it for the money, food, and passport, and would rather not go to the more hardcore/disciplined units if given the choice. I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances of getting assigned there. If not, there's always the jungles of French Guiana and the 3 REI.
>>
>>32485348

Contemplate suicide.
>>
>>32485312

>By the way, are légionnaires allowed to own phones, cars, computers and all that once they're done with training? Or do they have to devote themselves to the legion entirely?

Cars are disallowed for legionnaires still serving on their first contract(5 years), as is being/getting married and living off-base(something the U.S. military could learn from IMO, at least the infantry). Computers and phones used to be banned to guys on their first enlistment as well but recently the rules have been loosened and you are allowed to get them if you request permission from your CO.
>>
>>32485338

Plenty of space for a laptop, but if you try to fit a full gaming rig into your wall locker its going to take up pretty much all of your personal storage space. A lot of guys loaded up their laptop with emulators/ROMs for deployments.
>>
Are Aircrew positions difficult to get into? Any 1A position
>>
>>32485348
Create powerpoint slides, map overlays on acetate, and sigact reports.

That and pulling TOC radio guard.
>>
>>32484858

Are you retarded? Everyone who gives a shit about their SAT studies for it. Some people even take prep courses because they give a shit about their future and want to go to one of the best schools.

Studying for the ASVAB if you're weak on it is just like doing PT if you run slow. Common sense.
>>
>>32485348

Depends where you're at. If you're doing strat work then you're probably working ten hour shifts in a high-tech operations center. That means running mission, as well as collecting, analyzing, and reporting on intel.

If you're in a tactical unit, it's much more low-key. Mostly browsing the web and shitposting.
>>
Any 68p here? What can I expect when I reach AIT in fort Sam. And whats unit life like?
>>
>>32482219
Interested in this as well.
I was unaware the Air Force did not let you choose your classification/job.
>>
>>32485882

You provide a list of preferences. They say "Take this one from your list or don't join".
>>
>>32485917
Interesting. Thank you.
>>
>>32485917
Are you required to put down Open General/Mechanical/etc. as one of your options or was this bullshit
>>
>>32482219
>Can someone please explain how air force job selection works?
If you're a desirable candidate, you can get a specific job. But a lot of people end up open general/mechanical/whatever.
>>
>>32485964

I'm not Air Force but it smells like pure bullshit to me.
>>
>>32485969

meant for >>32485951
>>
>>32485951

That's true. You don't have to ship if they tell you that you're going open though.
>>
>>32485748
>Everyone who gives a shit about their SAT studies for it.
im-fucking-plying

I gave a shit. That's why I walked in as-is, and looked down on people that studied for it as some kind of cheater or dishonest person. And then outdid those people.
>>
>>32486078

Congratulations. My class had a 95% attrition rate. Everyone who couldn't learn how to study failed out. 2cool4school smartguy talent only gets you far enough to realize you've become retarded compared to your peers that actually learned good habits.

Don't worry, though, you can pay your bills with pure smugness after you drop out of an academically rigorous program and take up Philosophy.
>>
>>32486113
>you've become retarded compared to your peers that actually learned good habits

can attest, rocked all the tests, failed out of college, enlisted.
>>
i..im infantry
>>
File: uyAs1L2.jpg (54KB, 697x533px) Image search: [Google]
uyAs1L2.jpg
54KB, 697x533px
Are the Marines all that shitty?

Wanna join because "muh hard corps" and the sense of accomplishment that comes from it .I have always had kinda shitty self-confidence, and have never been really athletic or cool or any of that shit. if I trained up for a whole year after I graduate HS do you think I would get in and be able to kick ass, take names and make something of myself.
>>
File: atd.gif (2MB, 400x215px) Image search: [Google]
atd.gif
2MB, 400x215px
Got offered 15W/E drone op or repairer in the Guard. Any info on it? Says they're undermanned, best chance at a deployment?

Was holding out for medical but they're way over strength, the recruiter was a medic and they moved him over. Other option is intel, but I have to interview with the Chief for that, and he's iffy about a bonus, and I'm iffy about the DLAB.

Long term goal is SF selection.
>>
>>32486224

I was the same. I got a 32 ACT and 1390 SAT but only graduated HS with a 2.7 GPA. Usually got 90+ on all the classwork/tests but never did any homework or projects.

I never tried or intended to go to college though. I knew that shit wasn't for someone like me. I wanted to kill muslims and figured that the best way to achieve it was an infantry contract in the Marines. I enlisted straight out of HS. Went to Boot camp 9 days after graduation. I took the ASVAB on 4 hours of sleep while still half drunk and got a 98 ( >>32484626 )
>>
>>32486251

>the sense of accomplishment that comes from it

I always ask poolees what they mean by this.

>y-you know...passing boot camp. that is really hard, right?

No, anon, 90 % of people pass bootcamp, and that 10 % is mostly people who get injured or straight up quit because they never wanted to be there. It's an on-rails training camp intended to take fat retarded civilians and reliably pump out only slightly less fat retarded boots. It's literally harder to pass High School than boot camp, and you don't see anyone calling that a real accomplishment.

If you want to graduate, you'll pretty much graduate.

Passing a training pipeline you have to try hard to fail is not an accomplishment. You're being meme'd.
>>
>>32486251

>Are the Marines all that shitty?

yes, but that's part of the reason to join. You need to be a bit of masochist to excel in the Marines. They take a pride in accomplishing things with less funding, shittier gear, and being treated like shit, and wouldn't have it any other way.

> if I trained up for a whole year after I graduate HS do you think I would get in and be able to kick ass, take names and make something of myself.

You don't need to train for a year. The requirements for passing the IST are laughably easy. i think it's like 3 pullups, 35 situps in 2 minutes, and a 13:30 1.5 mile run. Boot Camp is really not that hard physically. it's mostly a mental challenge.
>>
Put in a packet for CID now or wait a year and put in for Counter-intel? Any opinions between the two worlds?
>>
>>32486462
Both
>>
File: 1481703807803.png (375KB, 1000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1481703807803.png
375KB, 1000x2400px
>>32481065
I wanted to go 2A6X6 in the air force, but i read that maintainers are treated like shit and often work 12 hour shifts or longer. Does anyone here have experience in the air force that can confirm this?
>>
File: NORDIC STRONG.jpg (259KB, 1000x1487px) Image search: [Google]
NORDIC STRONG.jpg
259KB, 1000x1487px
>>32486554
>>
File: 1478749832689.jpg (81KB, 680x457px) Image search: [Google]
1478749832689.jpg
81KB, 680x457px
>>32486558
>>
>>32482246
Air Force retiree here. If you stay, think career and make all your choices after thinking through their likely processes and outcomes. Retiree life is fucking magnificent, and unlike many of my high school peers I never felt a Recession. Recessions are normal, they WILL continue to happen, and nothing can stop them so whatever you do plan for the long term.

You will notice most one hitch troops chose more based on "gee, that looks COOL!" and less based on career planning. Totally fine, it takes all kinds to make war!

There are many, many retirees who use the G.I.Bill and other student aid to attend school at a modest profit while having fun. They know how to learn since many were trainers. I've taught and been a student and enjoyed it all.

You won't find many retirees crying themselves to sleep for staying the course, but you'll find a shitload in tasty civilian/DoD/Federal/corporate gigs.
>>
>have had 90% of OTS packet done since October
>just need officer interview and MEPS physical
>recruiter gets me a Meps slot for January after bugging him for weeks

I swear to christ, are they actually trying to not fill their quotas? I better not miss the fucking deadline. and no I got 96 percentile or better on every AF test so it's not just me.
>>
>>32483935
Young bois are naive and childlike creatures unchanged by a uniform so when they emotionally invest in Mary Jane Rottencrotch they take it too hard when she sexually exhausts everyone including house pets in a ten click radius.

Those who are emotionally fragile, horny and desperate should stay civilians because they won't be smart enough to avoid marrying some sloot from a Third World country like Georgia.
>>
>>32484605
>Unless I do ROTC but then that' d be 16 years in the military.

As a doctor, that's mostly doctoring and very, very little "military". Medicalfags tend to have it good. Nature of the business.
>>
>>32485172
>Are they really that desperate

Yes. SF eject constantly to become civilian cops. Their Air Force lives suck since the nature of their job is guarding shitholes, they are undermanned, and that has been reality since the 1990s.
>>
>>32484337
The army is accepting trans people know my drill sergeants are almost constantly talking about how it's gonna work at BCT so just train like a mother fucker and you should be fine just make sure you can max the male pt test standard
>>
>>32486825

>know my drill sergeants are almost constantly talking about how it's gonna work at BCT

They give you fucks internet access at boot camp now?
>>
>>32485497
Is it true that the legion still allows corporal punishment?
What's it like?
>>
>>32486554
Maintainer retiree here can confirm there's work involved but the Air Force version of "treated like shit" is different than any other version because the Air Force is rather pussified.

My worst experience was the air conditioner on my tent breaking during Desert Storm. Took CE the better part of a day to replace it. The horror...

I'd do it again in a heartbeat but I'm a gearhead so the work (which is not physically demanding because AF too smart for that shit) stayed interesting.

E&E is a comfy job. Go for it. You can often crosstrain after first enlistment if want. I crosstrained for variety and was Comm/Nav (Bronco, Phantom) engines and later (due to flightline job merger) a crew chief on F-16s.

Keep an eye on the rare but very nice opportunities to work Gold Flag later in your career. A mix of flightline and backshop will make you most versatile.
>>
>>32486661
So close... I'm 13 months out. Can't wait.

I love my unit... great people. But I still can't wait to ditch all the bullshit and bureaucracy.
>>
>>32486690

>Implying Air Force has any trouble filling officer quotas.
>>
>>32486847

They don't "allow" it officially anymore, but it definitely happens, especially early in training when people are still learning the language. When you have 50 different guys who speak 15 different languages in a group, sometimes a crisp smack to the back of the head is quickest way for the instructors to get a message across.
>>
>>32486955
Sure but to what degree are corporal punishments delivered?
Are there still actual beatings?
>>
>>32486661
i was a TA at a school that had a lot of veterans because it was a commuter school. they were good at managing their time, doing neat work and submitting things when they are due, but overall they were about average students in terms of performance.
>>
Anybody USAF Metals tech?
>>
>>32486891
Late career bullshit is punishment for enjoying the glorious times in your earlier career when you didn't have to perform adult day care.

A magical halo appears at twenty since you are free to stay or go as suits you plans.

BTW if you work in education after retirement, you may never make jokes about "military intelligence". Most civilians really are clueless helpless creature even compared to the Chair Force.

Learn to speak VA and to translate between milspeak, VAspeak, and civilian medicalspeak because they are not the same.

Get HARD COPIES of your medical records. Do it ASAP. Shit vanishes.... If you can retain a military PCM after you ETC I recommend it as military PAs are younger than the civilian average and still open minded rather than fossilized.

Any disability and burn pit exposure (ESPECIALLY burn pit exposure) must be documented. If you have buddies with same, exchange info and even do buddy letters BEFORE your peer dissipate into the rest of their lives!

Even a zero disability rating is documentation. Later when your liver flies out your asshole or your dick drops off that may help you.

DAV national doesn't do shit. Support your local chapter.

hadit.com forums and other veterans resources composed of other vets are useful. Learn about them.

STUDY for your C&P physical because you MUST know how to express your conditions PER CHECKLIST ITEMS. Tell the truth but don't get macho and hide shit. See above regarding liver and dick for why.

Repeat, STUDY for your medical exam like is was a promotion you cared about. If you are tempted to think "But I shouldn't have to do that for them to help me!" immediately call a friend or pay a hobo to kick you in the taint until that incredibly stupid desire fades.

Pass on what you learn to younger troops. They don't know this stuff because they won't encounter it until retirement. Information is our legacy.
>>
>>32486661
What did you do for your 20 years?
>>
>>32487062
Not me but I worked with them often. I tried to get into it when I enlisted but it stayed full of people with prior experience.

Fab Flight is a good place to work, and take all the training you can. You will be MUCH more employable than someone who is an aircraft mechanic but most people don't know this until retirement. Fun things to keep an eye out for are battle damage repair courses if they come open. I got to knock holes in old birds at Davis-Monthan (it was open to engine troops and crew chiefs so I didn't need to be "sheet metal" to go) then fix them by expedient methods.

I'd do Metals Tech. Schedules are fairly steady so go the fuck to school on Uncle Sugar's dime. Supporting the flightline can be boring (get good at drilling out and extracting screws) but it's not difficult.

Tip they may or may not use where you go but will make life easier if you do it yourself: Remember the term "center drill" and that you can chuck those bits into any pneumatic hand drill. They are very rigid and ideal for starting holes where you don't want a bit to wander.
>>
>>32487088
>Late career bullshit is punishment for enjoying the glorious times in your earlier career when you didn't have to perform adult day care.
I didn't really enjoy my first two enlistments. I worked hard, but didn't really get along with most of my coworkers, so nobody gave a shit about how hard I worked. I moved into IT and never looked back.

>BTW if you work in education after retirement
I don't plan on working, but education is one of the few fields that interests me. Maybe later...

>Get HARD COPIES of your medical records.
I went to med group about a month ago for this, but they said I had to wait until I was 6 months out. While I was there, I looked through my records for a surgery I had. Nada, like it never happened. It turns out that they don't follow up on referrals and have jackshit in there that matters. I called the place that did my surgery and associated procedures and had it entered into my military records.

>burn pit exposure (ESPECIALLY burn pit exposure) must be documented.
They didn't start asking about that shit until after I left active duty (guard now). But I'll keep that in mind and bring it up with my PCM. I keep in touch with a couple guys from my maintenance days.

>DAV national doesn't do shit. Support your local chapter.
A couple folks have already pointed me in that direction, but thanks.

>STUDY for your C&P physical because you MUST know how to express your conditions PER CHECKLIST ITEMS. Tell the truth but don't get macho and hide shit
I'm pretty broken, so I'll look into it. Thanks.

>Pass on what you learn to younger troops. They don't know this stuff because they won't encounter it until retirement. Information is our legacy.
My current unit has a ton of ex-Chiefs in contractor positions. That's why I already asked for my records and know about DAV.
>>
>>32487112
26, I didn't care about making the supergrades and staying thirty since I got what I wanted and more.

I was comm/nav on OV-10 Broncos (Sembach AB, Germany) and F-4 Phantoms (Moody AFB, GA). Solid state modern radios were just coming in during the early 1980s so even backshop (I worked back shop and flightline) was fun.

I crossed to engines to escape Moody AFB (back then Valdosta county was only known for the highest VD rate in Georgia, which was briefed to new arrivals!). Naturally I got sent to Shaw in SC instead of the PI where I wanted to go and fuck bar girls... Liked Shaw because I'm a biker so I hung out. Did F-16s at Pope until the Green Ramp crash ended the stupid Merril McPeak experiment of CONUS composite wings, then did Shaw/Kunsan AB ROK/Shaw with many deployments. Desert Shield/Storm at Al Dhafra in luxury and KKMC which was interesting. http://www.2951clss-gulfwar.com/ is the best site covering Air Force at KKMC. I worked near those folks but wasn't an A-10 troop. Worked on the first USAF F-16 to kill a MiG during Southern Watch.

Many things in the military stay the same over time. My much older retired bros who began their careers in the Korean War and early Nam era have remarkably similar experiences. I met one retired Navy P-3 engine mech whose combined military and civilian career spanned fifty-plus years on the same engine family (C-130 powerplants and Orion engines are close relatives.)
>>
>>32487088
Are these the checklists used in the exam? http://benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp
>>
>>32487230
>I'm pretty broken, so I'll look into it. Thanks.

Wise move, and you can read and download the current VA C&P checklists off their website.

http://community.hadit.com/#gsc.tab=0 is solidly useful.

The VA updated their site so find current "C&P Examination Work Sheets" etc.

I've a couple bros who got into IT after they retired for tasty double-dipping goodness. If you can pull that off it's worth a look. Also check into .edu and .gov jobs. One of my crew chief bros took basic community college IT course and now make good bank working for them. Imaging PCs and basic stuff, but money is money and he has a State retirement account.

You can appeal your own disability ratings easily without personal assistance. Only appeal ONE disability at a time so the appeal only sees ONE office. Send hard copies (no originals!) by registered mail when dealing with VA. Keep a copy of what you sent, note when you send it, and save your receipt.

You may as well stock up on T.O. binders now . Don't forget the correct hole punch. :)
>>
>>32487235
>Did F-16s at Pope until the Green Ramp crash ended the stupid Merril McPeak experiment of CONUS composite wings, then did Shaw/Kunsan AB ROK/Shaw with many deployments.
I was TDY there from McChord in the mid-90s. They still had the 141 wreckage there (which we checked out since we worked 141s).
>>
>>32487088
>burn pit exposure
wtf is this?
>>
>>32487270
Yes. I was typing my previous response when you posted.

For best response, ask vets on the hadit forums. A very helpful guy in my case was Jim Strickland who is retired AF and famous in the veteran community.

https://www.vawatchdog.org/

Go there and spend a few hours reading.
>>
>>32481065
Why should I enlist in the military if my college is being paid for? Experience in a field I want?

Let's say that I'm going into the Air Force and got the slot that I wanted.

I'm probably not going to join if I go to college.
>>
>>32487344
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/health-care/2015/07/22/new-burn-pit-report-lung-disease-high-blood-pressure-common-exposed-vets/30517071/

One thing about military safety culture is many people are too trusting and don't look beyond what they are told to do by people who don't know any better or give a shit.

That's just like the civilian world! I suggest learning more than required about health and safety.
>>
>>32487322
I was on leave for two days so I missed the crash. When I came back crews were cleaning the ramp to remove blood and burn marks.
>>
>>32487346
>https://www.vawatchdog.org/
>Go there and spend a few hours reading.
Will do.

>>32487388
Interesting to read the Wikipedia article. I had always thought maybe troops were on that 141 since it was ADP configured.
>>
>>32487009

Not sure. The worst I experienced in the US military was doing push-ups while getting kicked in the ribs and having my fingers stomped on by my seniors(i deserved it tho). Although I've heard that if you try to desert and get caught then you are most likely in for a pretty good beating.
>>
>>32486844
Home on Christmas leave although other companies do get their phones on sundays
>>
File: 1480835789904.jpg (174KB, 759x759px) Image search: [Google]
1480835789904.jpg
174KB, 759x759px
>>32486283
bumpy for visibility
>>
>>32487542

They give you fucks Christmas leave during boot camp?
>>
>>32487572
Yeah I wasn't gonna take it but my wife was pregnant or so I thought they didn't tell me until I got home which was smart because learning you've lost a child kills motivation for damn sure
>>
>>32487571

The guard is not going to get you any where near special forces.
>>
>>32487376
Interesting and makes sense but again wtf is a burn pit? Is it literally just a giant hole you throw stuff and shit in a burn in?
>>
File: 20th_.jpg (356KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20th_.jpg
356KB, 1920x1280px
>>32487593
>t. I have no Idea what I'm talking about

Going into 20th group support there friend.
>>
File: DSCF0574_1.jpg (334KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0574_1.jpg
334KB, 900x1200px
>>32487600

>Is it literally just a giant hole you throw stuff and shit in a burn in?

Exactly. There is no garbage colection infrastructure in 3rd world countries like Afghanistan. You have to burn all of your waste, including your literal shit.
>>
>>32486747
Would I get a salary like that? I looked up Hpsp and it's like 400$ a month it's kinda not good at all for sacrificing another 8 years of your life. Maybe I'm just misinformed.
>>
>>32487825
HPSP is a scholarship and you're technically on the inactive reserve, so you get about what a reserve officer would get. You also have 50~ day ADTs in the summers, where you'll get full pay.

ROTC you only get a stipend if you're under contract, and get some pay during ADT.

USUHS is very competitive academically, then throw in the ROTC/Academy grads you'll be going against and it gets a little hairy. IMO it's worth it. Military medicine has less bullshit to compensate for the less pay, but you get taken care of.
>>
>>32487139
Thanks anon. Have any idea if it is something that is commonly sought after? If I put it at the top of my preference list, will chances be good or should I not count on it?
>>
>>32487901
Guess I'll have to get good and do exceptional my four years off college so I can get into USUHS if I can't surely there's another route no?
>>
>>32488211
Only other route is all civilian schooling then direct commish
>>
>>32487941
You can ask beforehand. It's not a commonly asked for specialty because the title doesn't sound interesting to most prospective recruits.

Chances are probably good, but I'd be open minded about other maintenance specialties too.
>>
When is the retirement plan changing, and how much is changing?
>>
>>32488626

New retirement plan is mandatory as of 2018. If you joined recently (or until the end of 2017) you can choose between the new and the old.

Old system: You earn 2.5 % of your base pay per year as a pension if you retire at 20+ years. Less than 20 years you get nothing for retirement except what you set aside for yourself.

New system: You get 2 % of your base pay pear year as a pension if you do 20+ years. The military gives you a 401k contribution equal to 1 % of your base pay, and matches up to 4 % more.

Basically the new plan is better if you do 1-19 years, worse if you do 20+ years.
>>
File: GOOGLE IT MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (286KB, 823x981px) Image search: [Google]
GOOGLE IT MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
286KB, 823x981px
>>32488626
Then come back when you have additional questions.
>>
Anyone know about 35P? Is it basically a translator that goes to the SIGINT course? What kind of work do they get up to?
>>
>>32488710
>>32488712
Question, im prior service. Wondering if i went back in, would i be grandfathered into the old plan which is what i want or if i re-join in 2018 will i have no choice but to take the new one?
>>
>>32488897
That's a tricky one. If you joined before 2006 or have more than 12 years of service you're automatically on the old plan. If you are in the IRR and go back you may have the chance to pick the old plan up again, since no break in service. Sadly, I'm thinking you'll be stuck with the new one if either are not the case.

I would advise to get the process started now, or take a short reserve contract first so you can beat the deadline.
>>
File: 1481565995255.jpg (273KB, 1136x676px) Image search: [Google]
1481565995255.jpg
273KB, 1136x676px
Which branch has the best low-ASVAB MOSs?
>>
>>32487372
I joined the Air Force for better education than what my uni was giving me. I'm a linguist and got my degree in a year and a half and I'm actually fluent, compared to the year of patty-cake and not learning I was doing in college.
>>
>>32485354
Other way around. Korea first for 2yrs. After that my Iraq deployment got canceled when the Iraqis said they didn't want us there in 2012. We got to re-train and re-validate for Afghanistan. Had to re do all our exercises. So I was a CPT by the time I deployed.
>>
>>32487372
>Enlisting
It's a secure job, you have very little chance of being laid off. You do 20 years and get a decent pension check for the rest of your life, too.
Looks really good on a resume too, and sets you up for some pretty decent money if you do 20 and then keep progressing the in civ world while collecting your retirement check.

Most people don't make it to 20 though, because while military BS isn't too bad as a young single man, it's a real bitch to raise a family and basically neuters your SO's career.

If you have (or will have) your degree, I'd take a serious look at commissioning. You'll make a lot more money while you're in, sets you up for some killer jobs on the outside, and if you make it to 20, huge retirement check.
>>
Not enlistment but I'll ask here anyways.

I have my pilots license with instrument rating, and will be graduating from college next year. I want to follow in my old mans footsteps and be a military pilot.

I'm torn between AF active duty or reserve/national guard. Which would you guys pick out of these? I want to do full-time military flying, but I won't be guaranteed the plane I want if I go active.
>>
>>32486723
>Third World country like Georgia
K E K

I was stationed in Mississippi for training, and it was a shithole ridden with all sorts of nig trash and obese females looking to dependa up.
>>
>>32487542
>Home on Christmas leave
>phones on sundays

I'm saving this for the next time anyone makes fun of AF boot camp.
>>
>>32489193

IIRC Mississippi is both the fattest and blackest state in the country.
>>
bamp
>>
>>32488288
Ah I understand Thank you.
>>
Is there a limit to how many times you can Retrain
>>
>>32490050

The fact that you're asking this question leads me to believe you have some retarded convoluted career path where you want to do like six different jobs.

Most people never get the opportunity to retrain as a different job, even once. If you do get the chance, it is usually tied to another 3-5 year obligation. Don't plan on it.
>>
File: 1482647779495.jpg (72KB, 451x400px) Image search: [Google]
1482647779495.jpg
72KB, 451x400px
>>32489217
Christmas leave has been a thing forever. In 2008 infantry our DS pretty much said "Go home, or we're going to make your life a living hell. We don't care if you even go home, just don't stay here." The only way the DS got Christmas off was if nobody stayed back.

Pretty sure some guys got a motel and fucked filthy base town hookers for a week. Nobody gives a shit what you do, so long as you're back on time and don't piss hot like four fucking idiots in my platoon. One guy managed to piss hot for literally every category on the test.

Phones for an hour on Sundays was a thing as well, but only after like the 6th week and that was because there were only like two functioning payphones in the entire fuckin company starship and dudes were getting in fights over the fuckin phones.
>>
>>32490184

At USMC boot camp in 2008-09 we stayed through Christmas and got one phone call the entire cycle about 2/3rds through.
>>
>>32490050
>Is there a limit to how many times you can Retrain
Not really. In the guard, you can retrain with fair ease. I've got 5 AFSCs:
2A573A (Comm/Nav)
3C051 (Comm Ops)
2E271 (Infrastructure)
3D133 (RF Trans)
3D073 (Cyber Surety)
>>
>>32486283

i've been to a SF nasty girl base up in new hampshire, there's not a whole hell of alot of them and that's probably because they have limited slots.. but this was early 2012 so i dont know.

im not entirely sure what nasty girl SF even does. i met a sniper attached to them there, E5, never deployed. Might have not seen action but definitely more relaxed and reasonable looking back on all of the individuals I have encountered over the years at Fort Hood.

your chance for nasty girl sf is slim though, drone operator definitely sounds cooler than any other shit i got offered. fuck, i didnt even get a bonus.
>>
>>32490184

when I went through 11b OSUT this last summer we never got our phones but three times in the whole 16 weeks

we got HBL tho, if only cos the Drill Sergeants wanna fuck off
>>
>>32490584
Don't think the SF is in NH anymore. There is a 1/20 company in Mass and a 2/19 company in RI though. 6 ODA's and a ODB is 83 people fully manned, with the only two non-tabbed being a supply and chem NCO, so it's tough to get into. Down here though we have group HQ, a battalion HHD, and group support. Drone does sound neat, but that language pay...
>>
>>32491047
Language pay is chump change and more of a pain in the ass than other entitlements such as special duty. Hell, demo pay covers what you'd make with a 1/1 in your language and you don't even need to do anything. But not only that, you need to stay proficient in your language and if you don't keep at least a 1/1 basic score you won't get paid.
>>
>>32491149
I'd get special duty pay too. Drones would get double the drill days though.
>>
What is the ideal BMI for a Ranger? People always say to be really good at running and that mass doesn't matter but so many of those guys look fuckin shredded
>>
>>32491196
I've heard that it's like 12% body fat. Enough to give you reserves, but not enough to make you fat and slow you down. Lean muscle like a motherfucker.
>>
>>32491196

mass sort of matters, ultimately boils down to cardio though

most of these dudes that are shredded in mass but not athletically fit in joints they don't use get winded and injured easier in my experience

nigerian buddy of mine, 6'0, 191 lbs, went to do air assault and ran a fuckin' 12 minute 2 mile

went to climb a rope and shit the bed, legs gave out even though he climbed the rope with just his hands and legs dangling which is alpha as fuck but also makes him a liability so they disqualified him

running and leg day = very important
>>
>>32491290
>>32491390
Ok that makes sense. So you nigerian freind should have been, optimally, what maybe 6'0 and 160 lbs? To me they all look like they're 6'0 225 lol
>>
File: niggerwhat.png (184KB, 455x303px) Image search: [Google]
niggerwhat.png
184KB, 455x303px
I'm thinking of joining the airforce, it's just that i have no idea what the fuck is going on with my life and i thought that serving my country would set me in the right path or some shit like that, i'm graduating from college next year and i have no idea what to do next.
what's your opinion, should i join?, any tips?
>>
>>32491740
>inb4 ChairForce
>>
Also looking to join, i am 19 and i enjoy a challenge but also want time to work on education/training. What branch has best tech jobs but is also challenging. Also what do i need to do to qualify? I made a thread on /g/ but it has not been so successful
>>
>>32489048
How did you do that?

>>32489095
Actually, I've been wondering about retirement. What's this about this new retirement program?
>>
>>32491802
I walked in and said I wanted to be a linguist. getting your recruiter to line you up to take the DLAB might be a hassle but it was as simple as asking about the job for me. its a neat job. 2 years of school for any of the useful languages though.
>>
File: revolutionfashion.jpg (191KB, 1279x800px) Image search: [Google]
revolutionfashion.jpg
191KB, 1279x800px
>>32491705
I'm 5'11 and I think my ideal combat weight was something like 180. Never really went full nutrion and bodybuildin like some dudes, though. Didn't really do a lot of /fit/ stuff other than just PT because PT.

I know I bottomed out at like 150, but that was the stage where you're burning muscle mass for energy. The rule of thumb was that when you saw a dude who was swole as fuck, they were usually pog as fuck because they're the only ones with the time to do proper lifting and grunts generally just wanna be lazy shits after patrols. Unless you're that one huge fuckin guy who's a damn pack mule.

Though, the SF types did have the saying "Ranger Strong" as their way of saying "Retard Strength". This was before the Army motto became "Army Strong", so when that happened the SF guys fucking loved it, but it goes to show that raw strength isn't highly valued.

Can't really say what peacetime is like, though.
>>
whats it like joining the air force with a BSc in CS?

do you start as an officer? i was going to join at 18, but i got a good job as a programmer, and backed out because i was stupid enough to be tricked into signing up for combat weather (wtf was i thinking?).

now i wanna go back, but the recruiter was so pissed he said he would blackball me. i don't think he can really do that though.
>>
>>32491944
that boxhat is legit
>>
>>32491776
if you go army, a 79 on your asvab will get you any job you want essentially.
>>
>>32491802
>>32488710
>>
What are the mos with the highest concentrations of autism? I'm going for army or chair force
>>
>>32492034
You need to apply for commission if you want to be an officer, it's different than enlisting
>>
>>32491740
>i have no idea what the fuck is going on with my life
Funny you should say that. We don't know much about you either and can't really tell from your post what you should do.
>>
>>32493055
Intelligence
>>
>>32493055
>I'm going for army or chair force
>chair force
I recommend that you join the Army.
>>
>>32492034
>>stupid enough to be tricked into signing up for combat weather
>Any SOF
>stupid
>>
>>32489142
Navy.
>>
>>32481595
>they just become cops
sike, they don't give a shit if your infantry or not, if anything they don't want dumbass white niggers like you.
>>
>>32493398
Are you seriously that new?
>>
Im just wondering why the fuck everyone doesn't choose the navy
>Best culture
>Best job rating system
>You can choose your job
>Best uniforms
>You get to travel the most
Seriously, it's not even fair
>>
>>32494267

Have you ever fucking lived on a ship? I had to do 4 months on the USS Kearsarge in 2010 and it was by far the worse part of my enlistment. I would rather live in mudhuts in afghanistan getting shot at all day than live on a fucking ship again.
>>
File: CGC-FORWARD-Crew-Pic-3Aug20101.jpg (182KB, 1072x712px) Image search: [Google]
CGC-FORWARD-Crew-Pic-3Aug20101.jpg
182KB, 1072x712px
>>32494267
HAHAHAHAHA

You dumb fucking DEPr, just wait til you get to your ship. You're so fucked.
>>
File: 1483205917935.jpg (51KB, 743x960px) Image search: [Google]
1483205917935.jpg
51KB, 743x960px
>>32494267
Navy vet
What rate you considering?

>>32494291
What rate were you? Only 4 months? You got off easy.
>>32494329
>makes fun of Navy
>post pic of Coast Guard like a retard
>>
File: b4s_allen0130b_105359a_8col.jpg (94KB, 746x498px) Image search: [Google]
b4s_allen0130b_105359a_8col.jpg
94KB, 746x498px
>>32494355
Then tell me how the Coasties aren't better in every single topic the first poster said.

>fite me
>>
>>32490475
>2E2 to 3D0X3
Do you enjoy paperwork?

Also please stop taking 3 weeks to get my guys logins.
>>
>>32494267

Well, not everyone likes it in the ass.
>>
>>32491776
>best tech jobs
If you can deal with the army, being a WO is pretty tits from what I hear.

As far as being enlisted goes, the AF can set you up for a career in IT/Networking. I get plenty of time to work on my certs and get $4500 a year for college (not GI Bill).

>>32492034
If you want to join up as an officer, you'll be commissioning through OCS. Having a technical degree gets you a better chance at getting in, and you'll go through a few months of OCS, which is a weird fusion of boot camp and college.

>>32493055
Most 1N and 3D AFSCs will have quite a few meme-loving fucks. In my shop we bullshit around about PC Gaming and nerd shit all day.

>>32493412
If he left for a programming job + BS in comp sci, there's a 98% chance he would have not have had the crazy dedication it takes to make it through,. He'd be turning wrenches under a jet or scanning ID's at the gate like almost every other washout.
>>
I'm 24 and I'm gonna join the Navy. I did MEPS and the ASVAB when I was 19 but didn't join. what should I know about boot camp or like. other stuff
>>
File: IMAG0081_1.jpg (819KB, 1632x976px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0081_1.jpg
819KB, 1632x976px
>>32494355

>What rate were you? Only 4 months? You got off easy.

I was a grunt in the Muhreens.
>>
File: 1482608521702.jpg (226KB, 1036x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1482608521702.jpg
226KB, 1036x1200px
>>32494391
>Best Culture
This isnt even a contest. The navy actualy has a Culture and the coast coard is just a cheap imitation of the navys.
>best Job Rating System
The navy has way more and way better jobs than the coast guard does.
>Choose Job
Self Explanatory
>best Uniforms
Again, this isnt even a contest. Navy easily has the most iconic uniforms of all the branches.
>travel
Again, not even fair. You actually deploy around the world in the Navy.

>Fite me
If the Navy and Coast faught it would be a complete slaughter. One Aircraft carrier could probably destroy every single ship the coast guard has.
>>
File: 7_years_active.jpg (46KB, 409x636px) Image search: [Google]
7_years_active.jpg
46KB, 409x636px
>>32481581
Pic related. I'm honestly disgusted.

>>32481946
At least you deployed, anon.
>>
File: IMG_2538.jpg (86KB, 553x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2538.jpg
86KB, 553x369px
>>32494650
>culture
CG has had the highest retention rate of the past decade. Same pay, sometimes less bennies, they must be doing something right.

>RATING SYSTEM
You nitwit, they work exactly the same. Obviously there are more jobs because the CG is an 1/8th of the size and doesn't have fighter, carriers, subs, special warfare, etc.

>choose job
Every other branch lets you do this too, but with restrictions; job overmanned? You're fucked for getting it contracted. In the CG everyone has to get qual'd as a non-rate before they can pick what school they want to go to, no restrictions, maybe just a long wait.

>uniforms
Most iconic goes to the Marines numbnuts. Also enjoy your drowning camo, you wish you had ODUs.

>travel
Pic related, also a ton of tropical tours, Arctic missions, and cutters are easier to deploy on short notice.
>>
File: 2011_Skip_Barber_logo.png (29KB, 905x518px) Image search: [Google]
2011_Skip_Barber_logo.png
29KB, 905x518px
>>32494814
>>32494650

Army guy jumping into this slapfight. I worked my entire stint alongside Navy personnel, with some Air Force and Marines. Went to school at at a Navy base, in fact, right after basic training.

Navy is full of pussies and furfags. If you don't mind rubbing elbows with social rejects and psychos, having them as your peers and superiors (or god help you subordinates), knock yourself out. USCG is a smaller community with higher expectations of the individual, and the need for cat herding is diminished. It's a grown-up's service. They are law enforcement, not military, btw.
>>
>>32484204
Fuck yeah
>>
File: 1475219739838.jpg (37KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
1475219739838.jpg
37KB, 706x706px
>>32494814
>CG has had the highest retention rate of the past decade
Having it easy and culture arent the same thing at all.

>CG is an 1/8th of the size and doesn't have fighter, carriers, subs, special warfare, etc.
Right they have nothing

>You nitwit, they work exactly the same
They literally dont at all. You even said
>In the CG everyone has to get qual'd as a non-rate before they can pick what school they want to go to, no restrictions, maybe just a long wait.
Thats not the same at all. With the navy you will just be in DEP for a while if you take a hard or overmanned job.

>Most iconic goes to the Marines numbnuts
No it doesnt at all. Dress whites and blues where around before the marines uniforms.
>Also enjoy your drowning camo
Theyre doing away with it, and btw those all blue uniforms the CG wears are even worse.

>travel
You are mentally retarded if you think the CG travels more than the Navy. I did 2 deployments and id bet my life ive been to more countries then you can even name.
>>
File: crashed F-105.jpg (215KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
crashed F-105.jpg
215KB, 500x274px
What can I do to raise my chances of being selected to be a pilot besides getting a STEM degree and a civilian pilot's licence?
>>
>>32494943
STAY OUT OF TROUBLE.

And PT. Don't forget to cultivate a cool, interesting, personable self so you fit in.
>>
>>32494892
What was your job in the army?
What Navy rates did you work with?
Ill be the first to admit some rates in the Navy have tons of weirdos but thats cause the Navy is so large so youre bound to get some weirdos in there.
>>
File: 1482385668760.jpg (87KB, 882x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482385668760.jpg
87KB, 882x640px
>>32495010
I was in the Army's Intelligence Corps sometime in the past 10 years. I worked with shore-locked CTI/CTR/CTT mostly, YNs, and some submariners. Fatsos to SEAL wannabes. I've worked directly alongside everyone from people who didn't strike until years into their career, PO3s to Chiefs, pussy-ass LTs and a braindead LCDR. It's a shitty corporate culture ashore and a shitty party culture in the "Real Navy."

They worked fewer hours, fewer days, and less strenuously than I did for more pay. You bet I'm still salty.
>>
>>32495185
Well im not suprised its like that on shore. Shore is viewed as a break from tough sea duty so im sure people fucked around constantly.
>Shitty party culture
Why is that bad? Getting drunk overseas is loads of fun.
>>
former fat fuck (400 lbs) now 160 lbs with zero muscle

i don't want to humiliate myself and waste a recruiters time, what are my chances of even being able to join army?

i was obese for over 15 years and have tons of loose skin.
>>
>>32495213
>400 to 160
good lord. well done man
>>
>>32495213
DO IT ANON.

You have no idea what an impressive success you are already.

If you're over 18 and not in education, the recruiter will likely give you a half-size PT test. If you pass, you'll be physically examined at MEPS. You can do it.

If you really want to help yourself, get down on the ground and hold what you've got in the front leaning rest position for as long as you can. Rest a few minutes, then do it again. Keep going until you are sore. Repeat the next day ad infinitum.

I believe in you.
>>
File: 1422652554700.jpg (70KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1422652554700.jpg
70KB, 876x493px
>>32495185
Yep, and the army doesn't have anyone like that in it, kek. Army is a day-school for adults and overweight niggers
>>
>>32495213
You did something MUCH more difficult than most military training. Now it's time to get /fit/.
>>
>>32494355
CTN, I'm in dep
>>
>>32495266
>>32495223
>>32495312

thanks a lot. i'm 23 now and i'm considered a sophomore in college for accounting. i just feel completely out of place.

i want to keep white collar roots, but see myself within the FBI or some other agency. i can't imagine myself in a private office building for the rest of my life
>>
>>32495479
What strikes me about this is wanting to keep your "white collar roots."

Some veterans/recruiters make a big deal of tearing themselves down psychologically and being rebuilt as supersoldiers. Whatever. You will only change as a person in ways that you allow.

Enlisting was a great option for me. I was 26 when I joined. Lived in paradise, then the shitty mid-Atlantic. I've been out over a year, turn 35yo in a few days, and my body is a wreck. But I've got family around the world and a wealth of experience.

I wouldn't recommend the Army to anyone. Do it if you really want to, but it's pretty much an emotionally abusive system that you can't escape. Same for Marines, but at least they have a sense of humor and authenticity.

FBI would be rad. I've heard they lowered their standards recently, however. Military service is a bonus in many careers, especially government ones. If you enlist, do three years and out. That will max out your GI Bill. You are young: don't sign up for time you aren't certain you'll enjoy.
>>
Who Ft Sill next month here
>>
>>32495479
>i want to keep white collar roots

Go Air Force.

The emotional abuse in the US military is unrelated to combat efficiency and very related to narcissist culture. No military is perfect and the goal of a military is to win wars. Everyone is expendable no matter who you are, but I preferred working for pilots who were grateful for our quality support then joining the Army where if you aren't infantry you are garbage and if you are infantry you get treated as garbage but are permitted esprit de corps.

People haul ass out of the Army after one enlistment for good reasons based on their experience. You have to HYT them out of the Air Force because life is good.
>>
>>32495213
I was in OCS with a guy who'd lost nearly that much weight. Tons of loose skin. He did fine.
>>
>>32495376
Nice choice. Thats a great rate. I heard the school pipeline is very difficult though so you better not fail out.

>>32495479
>i want to keep white collar roots
wtf does this mean
>>
File: 1480832289119.gif (1MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480832289119.gif
1MB, 540x540px
>>32495691
>wtf does this mean
Trust fund or upper middle class kid.
>>
>>32495685
Can you describe the process of OCS for me? In my senior year of college, and just decided to join last semester. Not joining ROTC bc my ex is in charge of it. Anything I should train for specifically or read up on?
>>
>>32495739
I know what white collar means im just confused as to how you would "lose" it?
>>
File: 1481228563717.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1481228563717.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>32495826
Are you retarded? If he just up and enlists he's putting himself into a blue collar wage bracket and is afraid of staying in said bracket.
>>
What kind of resume/PT score/GPA do you need to become a pilot via OCS
>>
>>32494943
For USAF, STEM degree does nothing for you, focus on just getting a good GPA. Pilots license helps. Touring all the reserve and guard units and gifting a nice bottle of scotch helps as well. Don't settle for some gay KC-135 unit, get to an F-16 unit. Vermont ANG is switching from 16s to F-35s pretty soon
>>
>>32495848
Ride his dick some more. That doesnt make any sense. You get the gi bill and can easily escape it if you choose to.
>>
>>32495935
The kid is afraid to be poor once he gets out and all.

> give me military life but I want cushy family money once I'm out.
>>
File: 99005.gif (3MB, 340x227px) Image search: [Google]
99005.gif
3MB, 340x227px
>>32495935
Confirmed retarded. The guy is studying to be an accountant for crying out loud. Not to mention his prior weight issues, you think he really looks forward to actually working? That's why he's afraid dipshit.
>>
>>32496003
You keep calling me dipshit as if you are saying hes right to be afraid. Im saying tis stupid and he shouldnt be afraid and youre still sucking him off.

>>32495973
Ok so he shouldnt fucking join.

When did this place turn into red dit 2.0
>>
>>32493206
basically after i graduate I'll be homeless for a long time untill i get a job that isn't flipping burgers at Mcdonalds
>>
File: pathetic.png (173KB, 497x307px) Image search: [Google]
pathetic.png
173KB, 497x307px
>>32496119
I'm calling you a dipshit retard because you couldn't figure out what he was trying to convey after attempting to lead you to the point on your own. Also, not once did I advocate for him to join or not you ninnyhammer.
>>
>>32495901
Just how desperate for pilots is the Guard?
>>
>>32496245
I still dont get it. Also id bet my life im smarter than you are.
>>
>>32496277
Not really, they have a lot better quality of life than active duty so they retain pilots well. Some units will generally only hire from within too, as in guys in maintenance for the unit getting pilot slots. I'd just look around though, there are a ton of units all around the country.
>>
>>32496333
>Some units will generally only hire from within
I happen to live a few miles from an F-22 unit that needs fusion analysts. Is there any chance they might hire someone like me?
>>
>>32496407
Doesn't hurt to give it a shot
>>
>>32495864
Bump.
>>
>>32495811
>Can you describe the process of OCS for me?

Get hazed for 12 weeks, learn absolutely nothing except how to stay awake through the complete military history of the United States given in three 8 hour long classes. Commission into a branch you don't want.
>>
Is it retarded to enlist for a two-year contract in something related to cyber/signals/intel in order to have a cushy civilian job available once I get out?
I think I might be too much of a pussy for the army, though
>>
>>32497125
They're doing 2 year contracts again?
>>
>>32497125
Do 3 years at least so you get full gi bill benefits
>>
>>32497144
>>32497165
Regardless of the time, since I'll probably ask for five years anyway if I go through with it, will I be able to easily get a civilian job with experience in intel and/or cyber shit? I got told that military skillsets are hardly applicable to the civilian job market
>>
File: ocs12.png (123KB, 1213x909px) Image search: [Google]
ocs12.png
123KB, 1213x909px
>>32497082
It's relaxed version of boot. You get a car and phone later and what not, more focus on academics and leadership, field stuff is commanding missions.

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/content/pdf/3-11%20IN%20Fatheads.pdf
>>
>>32481452

>ankles, knees, hips, back fucked up
>age in literal dog years
>unemployable in the civilian world (aka 99% of the real world)

How is this desirable? POG life is best life.
>>
File: 160412-A-HE359-055B.jpg (659KB, 2534x1690px) Image search: [Google]
160412-A-HE359-055B.jpg
659KB, 2534x1690px
>>32497551
Uh, for the reason you just stated, best shot at that sweet medical retirement. Just land awkward one time, leg goes ker-plow and you're set for life.
>>
>>32497576
If you hurt yourself in Jump School, can you still retire from that point?
>>
>>32497082
Pretty much spot on. Physically, I thought it was relatively easy, but it was demanding as fuck, exhausting, and it's extremely easy to get lost in the game of it. No matter what you do, choose, say, whatever, you're going to be wrong; you always loose.
>>
>>32497672
You can if you're rated more than 30%, but you'll only get so much because it's factored off your base pay.
>>
you can have a watch in basic training right?

army btw
>>
>>32484039
Do you guys have syrup in your MREs? Is there a poutine MRE?
>>
File: 1457406556626.gif (694KB, 500x408px) Image search: [Google]
1457406556626.gif
694KB, 500x408px
>>32498025
>poutine MRE
>>
>>32498024
Yes. It was almost a requirement when I went.
>>
>>32498024
It depends on how bad the DS wants to fuck with you. We had one guy allowed to have one and he was responsible for all our time checks, while I've heard everyone was, or no one was, or it was an earn-able privilege. Pack it just in case.
>>
>>32498053
ok thz
>>
File: 5497630005_a750c03b19.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
5497630005_a750c03b19.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>other coastie wannabe in the thread
>they get in an autistic slapfight

Stop making us look even more retarded senpai
>>
>>32497576
This happened to one of my friends. Deployed to Iraq/Somalia/some other places I forget, got his foot stuck in a hole while on a practice drop, end of career. He's doing well now but that might be because he dabbled with a now very famous company that was dumb enough to give him stocks back in the 90s.
>>
>>32484915
Formerly US EOD for 8 years. Different than Germanofag, but I suppose you can ask.

For us Engineers and EOD are very, veeeeeeeery different things.
>>
>>32497672
Yes, the military fucked you up so they pay for it.
>>
>>32497176

How marketable you are all depends on what kind of experience you get. Intelligence and cyber specialties are very marketable.
>>
>>32494193
>Are you seriously that new?
No. It's not that I've never heard the term (if that's what you're implying). It's that we don't need more lazy shitheads in the AF.

>>32494446
>Do you enjoy paperwork?
Not really.

>Also please stop taking 3 weeks to get my guys logins.
As a superintendent, it doesn't matter what my AFSC is, so I don't deal with account paperwork. (And it's not my section, either)
>>
>>32498024
>>32498066
Make sure it glows in the dark and isn't too expensive-looking.
>>
File: rack.png (99KB, 357x586px) Image search: [Google]
rack.png
99KB, 357x586px
>Five years in a strategic intel position, 40,000$ bonus, never had to deploy
>>
>>32499088
>40,000
Ok you gotta gimme the details on this. Ive never heard of a bonus being that high. Unless it wasnt sign on.
>>
>>32499088

So you're some faggot 35N out at Meade.
>>
>>32499113
When I came in in 07' Navy EOD sign-on was 40k. Then when I got dropped and changed to AV it was 4K.... now a days... the hells a bonus?
>>
>>32499113
It was 2008 and I was a linguist
>>
>>32499130
>now a days... the hells a bonus?
Try saying that again

>>32499133
Oh wow thats incredible, i had a buddy who went nuke in 2010 and he only got 25k.
>>
>>32499130
>Navy EOD
EOD is pretty hard yeah? Isn't it considered SOF?
>>
>>32499116

>Implying half the Army wouldn't give their left nut for a heavy strat billet.
>>
File: 71SyuFri-xL._UY445_.jpg (26KB, 334x445px) Image search: [Google]
71SyuFri-xL._UY445_.jpg
26KB, 334x445px
>>32498963
hows this
>>
>>32499532
fuckin nerd i bet you don't even browse /r/mfa
>>
>>32499568
>/r/mfa
Wtf is that
>>32499532
Perfect once you remove your unnecessary tripcode
>>
>>32499579
sorry im from /arg/ i usually dont post with it on out side of those threads but im to lazy right now to do it
>>
>>32499591
>/arg/
I guess thats fine since i dont even know what that is either
>>
File: 1417795733788.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1417795733788.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
Do I finish my degree I haven't started yet, or do I just enlist?

If I finish my degree first
>Go in as E-4
>Get some good knowledge for my MOS
>Have a little fun in my early 20s
>Can use my GI Bill to pay for Med School instead of my Bachelors

Cons:
>Be 25-26 by the time I enlist
>Anything could potentially happen barring me from enlisting
>Might miss Trump's reign and perhaps some cool shit like getting deployed to Europe or something

How is the Army's Tuition Assistance program? How exactly does it work? Because if I finish this B.S. degree, I'll be about $150k in the hole.
>>
>>32484433
He sure did.

Are you mentally ill? Absolutely more prone to something like PTSD? Does your body dysmorphia involve you looking into the mirror and seeing a different gender than the one you are (and not the type of body dysmorphia that causes anorexia or furries---because fuck furries)? Then the military may be right for you.

Just wait until military docs are forced to do GRS.
>>
I miss Iraq. I miss killing daesh every day.
>>
>>32499723
Listen to me and only me,
Enlist now and do school later.
Mans reasons for this, first off the younger you are when you do it the better. You arent going to want to have someone younger than you are ordering you around.
You also will be much better off finishing school off in one go instead of 2.
You can start classes while youre in as well using TA. Then get out and get your bachelors and still use the Gi Bill to pay for med school.
>>
>>32499723
150k for undergrad? wtf bro.
>>
>>32499769
Hmm, sound advice senpai. I really want to weigh all the pros and cons here, just because I'm talking about the next 4-12 years of my life. Thanks.

>>32499783
It's a private school, 36k a year, so 144k, but I averaged whatever else I had to spend too.

Now this isn't counting scholarships so it could possibly be 120k or even 100-80k.
>>
>>32485969
I enlisted Air Force in darker times. I scored high enough on the ASVAB to qualify for every job that didn't require additional testing. I went open general, and got a job as a computer operator, but I went in as open general. They also reduced the retirement to 2% per year.
>>
>>32499816
Im tellin you man enlist as some type of medical MOS/rate so you can get your feet wet before medical school. You can also take classes while in. Then get out and finish your bachelors then do medical school.
>>
>>32494391
>taking the Barret
>in an escalation of force, must fire three rounds over the bough
>three rounds 9mm pistol, they don't hear
>Barret
>>
>>32499816
Yeah dude, fucking enlist. After I got all my credits for training and CLEP, I only had to drop 5k out of pocket for one more year then went to grad school. State covered about a year, and GI will cover all the way through PhD.
>>
>>32494943
Being just average in height with an outgoing personality helps.
>>
>>32500012
Fuck that sounds good.

>>32499846
Makes sense. My plan is 68w with an Option 40 tagged on. I want to get some good exp in trauma before I go to PA school(Which, for all intents and purposes, is Med school).
>>
File: CombatHospital1.jpg (172KB, 575x320px) Image search: [Google]
CombatHospital1.jpg
172KB, 575x320px
>>32500263
Well shit bro you should have mentioned PA. The military runs a fucking awesome program, just short of a year and a half academic track and and internship then bam, you're a military PA. It's intense but fucking worth it, especially if you come from regiment, SOCOM has quite a few PA slots.

My brother in law did this. Was a 68W with the guard and a few deployments, had an okay GPA and he got in easily, said San Antonio was awesome, interned at Benning and got to interact with the 75th a little and free airborne just because he was around.
>>
>>32499378
Navy it is special warefare, and yes it is tuff as hell but I got dropped due to getting sick as fuck in boot and not being able to make the PT sessions. Had pneumonia, massive upper respiratory infection and inflamed ribs. Got 3 peanut butter shots during boot, vomiting after every single meal and went from 136lbs to 110lbs in 2 months. They gave me the option of sticking around Chicago for an additional couple months or dropping and changing my rate. I took the rate change.

I lucked out and Got AV, then AT-O and then EP-3's outa Whidbey. My EOD contract had me with a TS/SCI coming out of boot and things just kinda lucked out and lined up for me. I've had a blast for 9 years now and am sad to see P-3's go away. Currently on special shore duty so i'll get back for transition to P-8's and see what I want to do from there.
>>
>>32500540
FUCK that sounds good. If I could lateral from being a line medic in Batt to being a Battalion PA or something, that would be a dream come true.

Who should I contact for more info on this? Perhaps the Regiment recruiters? Every regular recruiter I talk to has little knowledge on the inner workings of all this.
>>
>>32497196
>It's relaxed version of boot.

Mine was less relaxed.
>>
>>32500584
Forgot the links, you'll need 60 credit hours under your belt first, no test outs though. I doubt your recruiter would no shit about it because you need to be already in the service to get into the program. I would avoid bothering the regiment about it. If you do make it through RASP you'll be training under the PA's first and get sent to SOCM as well, so I'd wait til then so you can get it right from the horse's mouth.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/

http://www.usarec.army.mil/armypa/ipap_requirements_app_info.shtml
>>
>>32499591
Ugh gross
>>
File: 1473221215569.jpg (80KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
1473221215569.jpg
80KB, 680x497px
>>32500675
Thanks man, I really appreciate this.

Happy New Years anon
>>
File: dude.gif (49KB, 302x200px) Image search: [Google]
dude.gif
49KB, 302x200px
>>32500834

also new thread someone? too drunk.
>>
>>32500848
I got u fampai

NEW THREAD

NEW THREAD

>>32500858

>>32500858

>>32500858
>>
File: 1476327634849.gif (499KB, 483x325px) Image search: [Google]
1476327634849.gif
499KB, 483x325px
Marine Poolee here.

My crunches are literal ass. My best set was 15. I started doing crunches with my legs up almost daily, whenever I'm relaxing or I'm out working and I have free time. I started this December doing this, and I realize my shipdate is right around the corner. My runtime is fine, and apparently they will be shipping me out on pushups since they changed PT standards recently, and I'm better at pushups than pull-ups.

Point is, how long will it take to see noticeable gains in the core area? My time is ticking, and I'm worried my crunches won't be ready. I ship soon, and it's my fault, and I'm sweating it.
>>
>>32501509
15 crunches? Wtf? That's the easiest part of the PRT.
>>
Anyone have the need to knows on becoming a flight warrant officer? I'm not dead set I'm just spitballing ideas here but I feel like being a chopper pilot would be a pretty neat career.
>>
>>32501810
Warrants are prior enlisted, you'd have to enlist, reach E-6 or higher then put in a package.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.