[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ Tactics and Procedures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: Linear-Ambush-Setup.png (153KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
Linear-Ambush-Setup.png
153KB, 960x600px
Previous Thread: >>32394879

Linear Ambush Edition

A place to discuss, break down, disseminate, and critique tactics and strategy. Infographics and diagrams welcome.
>>
File: concern~06.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
concern~06.gif
891KB, 325x252px
>he doesn't keep his Calvary on his flanks
>>
>>32425026
for the unitiated, can you make a key for the abreviations? NME is easy enough, but what is KGL? EWL?
>>
>>32425757
There's a pretty extensive glossary in the ranger handbook: https://www1.udel.edu/armyrotc/current_cadets/cadet_resources/manuals_regulations_files/SH%2021-76%20-%20Ranger%20Handbook.pdf
>>
>>32425026
Next general, please include resource links:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/tc3-22-9.pdf
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ranger.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/wSicV2M/rhodesia-regiment-tactical-aide-memoire.pdf.html
>>
File: LinearAmbush.jpg (168KB, 661x881px) Image search: [Google]
LinearAmbush.jpg
168KB, 661x881px
>>
File: LinearAmbush2.jpg (134KB, 661x881px) Image search: [Google]
LinearAmbush2.jpg
134KB, 661x881px
>>32426002
>>
>>32425994
The website kept telling me I had my IP blocked so when i did make the thread I was coming off a 24 hr shift
>>
File: Spiderhole OP.jpg (29KB, 432x242px) Image search: [Google]
Spiderhole OP.jpg
29KB, 432x242px
OBSERVATION POSTS

Alright, so eventually you need to gain some sort of intelligence from any area. The best way f doing this in a combat setting is through the use of reconnaissance and the use of Observation Posts, or OP.

The OP is a small location that overlooks a strategic area of land, be it an MSR or an enemy FOB.

The OP has to fit certain parameters, for all intents and purposes we will go through OCOKA (Not doctrinally applicable, but it covers points that aid in picking an OP location)

O- Observation/ Fields of Fire: You want to pick an area that has good sightlines (and by default, god firing lines in case shit goes south or the mission changes) and ideally make sector sketches, with key points of interests ranged and info written down about capabilities or people going in or out.

C- Cover and Concealment: You don't want to get discovered prematurely. Chances are you only have one, maybe two dudes at the OP. So picking a good spot that you can camouflage and doesn't stand out is solid. Unless you like having your face plastered on TV getting beheaded.

O- Obstacles: Can be manmade or natural. Things like cliffs, rivers, dams can all make it more difficult to get to your OP, which is good. Swamps and drastically changing elevation are good areas to consider.

K- Key Terrain: You want to have sightlines and control over key terrain. Areas that have high elevation, large flat areas where a convoy could stage or be used as an airborne LZ, and bridges crossing rivers are some examples.

A- Avenues of Approach: The harder to get to your OP, the harder it is for your enemy, and the more likely they are to gloss over the location you are bedded at. Keep roads, footpaths, natural lines of drifts in consideration when picking a point.
>>
>>32428945
GLOSSARY:
OP- Observation post
MSR- Main supply route
FOB- Forward operations base
LZ- Landing zone
>>
File: OP On Mil Crest.gif (11KB, 409x164px) Image search: [Google]
OP On Mil Crest.gif
11KB, 409x164px
>>
File: Peepinonheauxs.jpg (31KB, 438x184px) Image search: [Google]
Peepinonheauxs.jpg
31KB, 438x184px
>>
>>32427086
No worries, appreciate the effort. Just figure the more we can compile, the less we'll have to answer the same questions over and over.
>>
I think this will get more traffic after the holidays.
>>
>>32430362
Probably. Not a big deal, ill just take some time to post more snippets of info.
>>
>>32425026

small note for innawoods people.. when you enter the forest, look up at the trees

story:

>louisiana hyuck hyuck muh swampland training
>'ok guys lets do woodland foot patrol'
>snap crackle pop break twig snap snap snap snap
>lieutenant tells us to spread out and stick to bush
>orders halt to inspect decoy IED
>someone yells 'you're dead!!!' and we can't figure out where the fuck he is
>look up as nuts are thrown from trees above
>????
>sf guys in ghillie suits chilling 35 to 50 feet up with rifles pointed at us from treetop
>all squad safety killed
>>
>>32430574
>patrol
>Inspecting IED
>Not mark & bypassing

Well, you get what you get.
>>
>>32430594

Safety kill wasnt from the fake IED, it was the ghillies that got us safety killed. Typically you'd mark IEDs with obvious shit and call it in over comms but the fact two men got above us at less than a stone's throw away was unacceptable.

My point being most of the US military is not really in the mindset to deal with jungle warfare anymore.
>>
>>32430855
I understand the story and that you got safety killed from innatrees. Just sayin' mark & bypass rather than walk up to "inspect" an IED.

Fake IEDs as ambush bait is like day 1 stuff.
>>
>>32430875
Funny story, i was working with the Bulgarian MPs during a lane and notionally killed some with a coke can. I hung it off a 550 gut and dangled it right above a doorway leading to stairs. One of the taller MPs saw it, and decided it was a good idea to yank on it. The OC flipped a shit and yelled at all the Bulgarians. Many keks were had that day.
>>
>>32431227

OCs hated me i was a shitbag shammer and i didnt give a fuck

did an entire NTC rotation by falsely claiming i was the sergeant of the guard while standing up in a tower that wasn't in play during the whole 'force on force' deal

>do you even know what a sog is pvt
>nope lol
>gtfo my tower >:c

but hey i smoked an entire carton of cigarettes and took a nap up in the tower while listening to tupac

on a side note we found a fully functionally rusted m9 in the middle of death valley because some infant tree man dropped it off a truck on a convoy or something

also found some 7.62x54r simrounds in a belt, unexploded mortar shells and live .50 bmg rounds just chilling in the sand by some desert pumpkins

fort irwin personnel must be the definition of not giving a fuck
>>
>>32431385

oh lol and we had some pretty top 'kek' shit when some dude stole a BMW grille off a busted car in one of the roleplay villages and brought it home in his rucksack

like some straight hood shit right there
>>
>>32431385
I wasnt at Irwin for actual Opfor, I was the RTU there a few months ago.

I was pulling ammo guard and the WO in charge laid out all the miscellaneous ammo.

There were .22 magnum and 20 gauge shells among the rounds.
>>
Bump for freedom
>>
>>32425026

Checking in. I'm drunk, but anything you want me to go over, let me know, OP.
>>
>>32432235
Whatever you feel is necessary. Any battle drills or field tips and tricks for all the people who might not know them.
>>
>>32431416

i think those are for coyotes but that doesnt make sense in liberal california where all life is precious

god forbid those vultures eat greentip out of the corpses of hunted animals or some malarkey like that

fort irwin area is still a treasure trove. i still remember touching down at the abandoned airforce base there and finding a functioning bow and arrow and some dude shooting an arrow into the hangar ceiling 50 yards into the air

drill rifles, sega genisis, 1980s apple computers and shit like that. i took a wallet and a red baron biplane made in the 90s cause it was cool. they also had boxes of some desert storm and vietnam surplus shit like coconut canteens and ALICE gear that i should've grabbed. A trip I would definitely take again
>>
>>32432289
I guess im heading out there next time im down there, then.
>>
>>32432258

Cool.

Let's work withard boom-booms tonight.

Well, a little background on me before we start. I'm young, early 20's, I'm from the Appalachian foothills. I was raised deep innawoods and if it lives I can un-live it.

I can track, ambush, survive.

But I think the most valuable thing I brought to the military table was backwoods ingenuity.

I call these setups my "When You're Wounded and Left on Afghan Plains" setups because they're best utilized in a chips-down situation.

The first person to reply is the first person I'll address.

Choose five of these items:

>blackpowder substitute
>smokeless powder
>duct tape
>Styrofoam
>det cord
>lighter fluid
>coin rolls
>dip cans
>plastic bags
>twine

And I'll tell you how you're gonna blow some shit up with it and what to blow up.
>>
>>32432422
>Dip cans

We breach team now
>>
How many different breaking contact drills are?
>>
>>32434555

Only thing cooler than a dip can charge is a water charge.
>>
>>32434573
Officially and doctrinally only one.

Realistically, breaking contact can be as simple as going prone, launching smoke, and running away. it can be as complicated as things like the Australian peel.
>>
File: 0013766966.jpg (105KB, 1170x658px) Image search: [Google]
0013766966.jpg
105KB, 1170x658px
>>32434710
Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.