[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a new knife for working on the water. Completely serrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: spyderco.jpg (71KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
spyderco.jpg
71KB, 1000x1000px
I need a new knife for working on the water. Completely serrated and not pointed.

Everyone I've worked with has pointed me into the direction of these spyderco knvives, running $80-$100+.online or in shops.
That ain't cheap for something that could slip out of my hands and be gone forever.
>So what would would be a good retractable cord or harness I could attach from the knife to my PFD?
>>
>>32241190
Tie a paracord slip knot that will noose it to your wrist or belt from the handle. Problem solved.
>>
>>32241190
whatcha do for work anon?
>>
>>32241207
Takes too long or would get in my way.

I can't have a knife danging on my wrist, or have time to adjust cord slack from my life jacket so it doesn't get in my way.
>>
File: cornelia-marie-new-2015.jpg (91KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
cornelia-marie-new-2015.jpg
91KB, 720x720px
>>32241210
Deckhand work for a diving company.

I gotta lean over skiffs and boats often to cut line on tethers and booms often.

Sometimes the waves get gnarly, and I often need to push the boat off piles or grab shit with both hands. Already ketches me out about cutting myself or losing my knife, it ain't even worth 30 bucks!
>>
File: tether.jpg (116KB, 1500x772px) Image search: [Google]
tether.jpg
116KB, 1500x772px
I figure I'll pair this with a spyderco.
>>
File: Cheaper.jpg (24KB, 679x700px) Image search: [Google]
Cheaper.jpg
24KB, 679x700px
>>32241190

Byrd Rescue (Cara Cara); made by Spyderco, just in China instead of Japan.

Make sure to wash it with normal water, dry it, then lightly oil it, after you come in from the salt
>>
>>32241251
Where did you go to diving school if you don't mind me asking, seeing as I'm applying at DIT
>>
>>32241303

O, and they run around 20-30 dollars.

A lot cheaper.

Byrd make good knives.
>>
>>32241303
thats why he wants the salt, so it doesnt start to rust over the work-day
one might say, oh but 8 hours isnt very long

but then he would say, what the fuck is this rust
>>
>>32241303
>>32241314
I have one and it's a good knife, but I think the hassle-free maintenance might be more appealing to OP.

Maybe you'll have luck with those lanyards advertised as weapon retention devices?
>>
>>32241319

It won't rust over a day if it's not soaked the entire time.

Just do the task, wipe the blade down on a rag, then you put it back in your pocket.
>>
>>32241190
http://www.optactical.com/getarela.html

>In addition to sidearms, the Tactical Retention Lanyard is useful for prevention of loss of other small, valuable accessories including two-way radios, diving knives, cameras, and power tools. It is fully compatible with the marine environment and had been used extensively to prevent loss of diving accessories, including diving knives.
>>
>>32241303
>>32241319
Thanks. I'll look into that and ask around.

>>32241309
Hell yeah man.
I moved to Seattle in August for DIT. However, I can't enroll until I save up $10k to pay out of pocket, or let a year roll around for residency to qualify for more loans.

Don't waste $100 for the application, just talk to them first.
The total tuition is $30k, and it's a very small niche with an flooded workforce.
>>
>>32241361
What the fuck it costs 30k to become a boat bitch?!
>>
>>32241380

Not him, but yeah, it's expensive if it's not deckhand swabby/fish basher.
>>
>>32241331
Eh, too much slack
>>32241338
This looks pretty good actually. Thanks man. Bookmarked.

>>32241380
Ain't nothing worth getting comes easy.
You gotta start somewhere. You don't just graduate dive school, and get on saturation dives.

I work with a couple fellow environmental technicians who graduated DIT this past summer, doing the same shit as greenhorn 'ol me from the South is doing.
A few divers I done talked to, put in a few years doing "boat bitch" work, before getting on the dive side.
>>
>>32241435
>too much slack
I was the one that recommended the Gemtech but you know that top part is stretchy bungee right?
>>
Not being a dick, but this is /weapons/. I know about stuff for killing people. You are asking about tools. This might be better posted on >>>/out/ or >>>/diy/.
>>
>>32241450
Weapons are tools.
>>
>>32241391
Hell, it ain't that bad at all. I got quite a good gig. Good pay, flexible hours.
I'll be able to get time off to beat the docks and try to get on a fishing rig after the new year.

>>32241438
Yes, but it doesn't look at compressed and compact as the Gemtech, judging from the picture.
>>
>>32241477
No, they're not. Nice antigun argument there shithat
>>
File: 1440073203359.jpg (21KB, 363x364px) Image search: [Google]
1440073203359.jpg
21KB, 363x364px
>>32241450
>>
>>32241450
>>32241526
you're an idiot
>>
>>32241487

Where I am, commercial fishing jobs don't require much.

Diving, whale watching crews, charter fishing, and similar, all require expensive course.
>>
>>32241662
>Where I am, commercial fishing jobs don't require much.
Hence while I'll get on one within the season or two. Good way to make good money quickly.
>>
Why a folder, if I may ask?

I'm volunteering with the Coast Guard as a sea snitch, and they give us pic related. Attaches to the PFD, and I think it only costs about $10. If you want to waste your money, Spyderco and Benchmade also make fixed blade dive knifes.
>>
>>32241333
well, if its soaked, then put in a wet pocket, it'll rust.
>>
>>32241333
>checked
and forgot to say, pretttttttty sure he doesnt have time to just wipe it off.
waves dont wait for humans, good sir.
>>
>>32241190
>running $80-$100+.
What are you 12? Go ask you mom for the money you little fag. You need her to buy it for you anyways.

You will not get a quality blade for less. Spiderco is good entry level cutlery. Cold Steel is another.
>>
>>32241251
Deck hand on MSC ship here, don't fall for the serrations. Serrations are only good for cutting a line that's under tension, a plain blade will cut whether under tension or not if your cutting it properly.

Make a loop in the line where you want to cut it. Hold this loop in one hand while your other hand pushes hard against the inside of the loop with the knife. While pushing, draw your knife sideways along the line. This should only take one or two passes to cut clean through and will keep your blade sharp longer. Sawing with the blade everytime you want to cut a line will dull the shit out of your knife.
>>
>>32241333
Salty air can fuck steel up pretty bad, even if you don't get it wet. There's a guy on another board I frequent who's a dockworker, and he's posted pics of knives and multitools rusted to hell just from being in his vest pocket or on his belt for a few months.
>>
>>32241190
I use a Blackhawk lanyard for using my Spyderco H1 steel knife in or on the water.
>>
>>32241338
tactical rj9 cable
>>
>>32241230
Just make a loop of cord and put your hand through it when you're using your knife. It doesn't need to be tight, it just gives you a chance of snagging the knife before it's gone.

Source: grew up in Alaska working summers on my dad's fishing boat
>>
>>32241265
these kinds of lanyards are usually pretty flimsy, is that fine for your work?
>>
>>32241753
>I'm volunteering with the Coast Guard as a sea snitch, and they give us pic related. Attaches to the PFD, and I think it only costs about $10. If you want to waste your money, Spyderco and Benchmade also make fixed blade dive knifes.

You didn't do very well on your SATs, did you?
>>
>>32241190
just buy a fixed blade. zero reason to carry a folding blade in a work situation.
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (500KB, 1008x672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1109.jpg
500KB, 1008x672px
>>32241800
all true. This anon knows about which he speaks. Also a loop cut will result in an uneven end that will have to be trimmed if you're gonna place a whipping on the end of the line. Not crucial on rough boats, but on sail boats it's better (if you have time) to lay the line out on something wooden and chop/slice down through it, like you're chopping carrots. This gives you a nice clean cut that you can finish with tape or a traditional whipping. Then your line will run free thru blocks, hawses, sheaves, winches, etc.

Best boat knife: myerchin

They also make folding nosun knives, etc.
>>
>>32242278
folding bosuns knife with marlin spike, etc.
>>
>>32241251
sounds like you need a knife-ified version this. I've never seen a full size knife with a grip safety though.
>>
>>32242368
WTF? He's on a boat, not hanging drywall.
>>
>>32242378
>knife-ified version
>>
>>32242414
>grip safety
>>
>>32242433
uh yeah that's the point, he said he's worried about cutting himself when he eats shit on the boat
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.