[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 38

File: 1480297662076.png (363KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
1480297662076.png
363KB, 605x558px
Military Enlistment General /meg/
Inevitable post about dying for Israel edition
Previous thread
>>32165389

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857
>>
File: 180px-ISA_badge.jpg (11KB, 180x197px) Image search: [Google]
180px-ISA_badge.jpg
11KB, 180x197px
>>32201702
Tell me about the ISA, what do they actually do?
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit
>>
>>32201702
Reposting from previous thread:

So I'm currently studying up to be a 153A (Army helicopter pilot, warrant officer) and I'm just wondering, how hard is piloting an aircraft if you've never done it before? According to what I'm studying I'm pretty decent at reading flight instruments and I generally understand the parts and controls of a helicopter.

Also considering enlisting. How good/bad is E-1 pay?

Also, anyone here enlisted at age 22/23? Did it suck? Was it better or worse than you expected?
>>
I'm currently in college but I'm stagnating and studying something I couldn't give less of a fuck about.

I've been thinking about just dropping out and enlisting. Should I?
I'm not even sure what I'd do in the military but hopefully the recruiter can help me figure that out. I just don't want to end up in a 9-5 office job.
>>
File: 1464309219996.jpg (117KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
1464309219996.jpg
117KB, 595x842px
We know to lie to MEPS but downplay for SF86, but what's worth downplaying and what's not worth even mentioning?
>>
>>32201745

The military regularly trains people with no prior experience to be pilots. If you meet the requirements to get into flight school, you can probably do it.

>Also considering enlisting. How good/bad is E-1 pay?

Depends on what you're comparing it to. In comparison to minimum wage, even E-1 compensation is much better. When you consider that you won't have to pay for food/healthcare/rent, it's a pretty decent little paycheck for a teenager. You also don't stay at E-1 for very long. In your first 2 years in the military you usually get 3-4 automatic raises/promotions.

If you're already an established adult living on your own, then E-1 will feel like a lot more of a pay cut.
>>
>>32201729
Glad we're getting this out of the way early in the thread

Before anyone asks, 19D's, airborne, SOF, or anyone attached to the above or infantry is "just as cool" as infantry
>>
>>32201762
Listen to me very carefully.
Yes, dropping out can be a great decision. You can always go back to school later.
But
What's extremely important is you make a good choice while enlisting. Aka what branch and what job.
Do not
Do not
Do not
Go to a recruiter until you know what job and branch you want. They will force you into something to fill a quota. >>32201807
You should lie about anything there isn't a hard record of. If it's on record aka criminal then you gotta fess up.
>>
>>32201830
Different anon.
How smart is it to go in with a degree in hopes to be a pilot?
>>
>>32201884
I don't even know what branch I'd like to join, because I don't know how I'm supposed to decide.
I don't know if I'm physically fit enough for combat arms, otherwise I'd probably do that, though SIGINT seems interesting too.
How should I go about making a decision?
>>
File: 1465720824968.jpg (111KB, 908x851px) Image search: [Google]
1465720824968.jpg
111KB, 908x851px
>>32201884
So,
Don't lie:
>criminal/police record
downplay:
>non-recorded pot use
lie:
>everything else

is it like that?
>>
>>32201923
Fitness standards can be googled.

You can do practice ASVABs online.

Just look through the list of jobs on the sites for each branch.
>>
File: msgt.gif (26KB, 251x340px) Image search: [Google]
msgt.gif
26KB, 251x340px
>>32201745
>How good/bad is E-1 pay?
E-5 and below is shit pay, to be honest.
>>
>>32201923
Decide on the job first. DESU most jobs or at least job fields are available in all branches. Do decide what you would like to do and that will point you in the right direction for branch. How out of shape are you?
>>32201924
If there is not criminal record of you with pot then lie. Why would you downplay it? Lie lie lie.
>>
>>32201924
I admitted to trying pot when I was 16, they asked me about it kind of formally, just straight up told em, I smoked once, but never have since nor do I want to do it again. Got tested some time later and I was clean. You could lie too.
>>
File: kill me - fat body.png (331KB, 442x532px) Image search: [Google]
kill me - fat body.png
331KB, 442x532px
I'm fat bitch
I consider myself an intellectual but majored in Sociology (or just flat out flunked out of the 3rd rate college I attended)
I have an unwarranted superiority complex
My voice makes me sound like a transexual or the female wrestler Chyna
I love not actually working while whining about how hard my life/job is

What branch is for me?
And should I go enlisted corps, warrant officer corps, or commissioned officer corps?
>>
>>32201935
I know about the fitness standards, the problem is I have pretty bad flat feet which might or might not cause problems.
>>32201953
>How out of shape are you
See above, I'm 5'10 142lbs but lately I've stopped exercising altogether because I got pretty bad tendinitis in the legs.
>Decide on the job
How do I know whether or not combat arms is for me?
>>
File: del.png (11KB, 731x510px) Image search: [Google]
del.png
11KB, 731x510px
>>32201953
so like pic related?
>>
>>32201948
A 26 year old O-3 vs a 40 something year old E-7

I believe the O-3 would still make more. And the enlisted retirement is lulzy, even more so when 90% of them retire as E-7s.
>>
>>32201995
You know it's for you if it's what you want to do. Go with you gut. If you only do 4 years it won't even matter. You'll get out and have the Gi Bill to fall back on. Or you stay in and change MOSs.
>>32201999
Yes man. Why are ou so afraid haven't you ever told a lie before?
>>
>>32202003
Air Force personnel often retire at E-6, unlike the other military branches. So they are even poorer.
>>
This is to the Naval Aviation guys I talked to a few threads ago: What GPAs did you guys have before going into the program?
>>
>>32201948

>MFW I was making 52k/yr~ equivalent as a 21 year old E-4.
>MFW that's more than the average household makes in the US.
>MFW I have no face.
>>
>>32202026
It's what I want to do ideally. I'm just afraid they'll tell me to fuck off because of my feet problems. That's probably something I can figure out with the recruiter, right?
>>
>>32202026
>Yes man. Why are ou so afraid haven't you ever told a lie before?
It's not that I'm afraid of lying, it's that I'm concerned my refs or the people they point to will out my shady shit.
>>
>>32201881
Correct.

If you aren't 11B, 0311 or any he mentioned then you're a worthless oxygen thief
>>
>>32202084

Tastes like bitter grunt tears.
>>
>>32202054
Why were you getting bah as an e4? Married?

>>32202067
Fuck no. Don't tell your recruiter shit. Fix your feet problems ahead of time. You want to make yourself
The perfect recruit and be hassle free. Work on stretching and running for a few months then go infantry in the army if that's what you want.

>>32202068
Define shady? Also how stupid are your references that they'd tell gov officials that you smoked weed?
>>
>>32202084
>If you aren't 11B, 0311 or any he mentioned then you're a worthless oxygen thief
Or maybe I just don't want to hang out with retards all day.
>>
>>32202121
nothing much. just 2 instances of smoking pot 6 years ago and the fact that I have ADHD but kept my mouth shut at MEPS.
>>
>>32202084
>Worthless oxygen thieves

Does that include tankers, artillery, and helo pilots? Because I'd think infantry would like those guys.
>>
>>32202137
Actually, looking at it again, it's really fucking nothing... I feel like a faggot for worrying now, which is good because I'm going for the Navy.
>>
>>32202121

>Why were you getting bah as an e4? Married?

Non-shit services/jobs give BAH at E-4. I was Army.
>>
>>32202121
>be hassle free
So I should get in shape first, then enlist?
Should I save time and go see an army physician at least, since I'm not sure whether or not my feet problems are disqualifying for service? It's not something I can fix with training, so it's possible that they'd just tell me I can't join.
>>
>>32202137
>>32202148
You're perfectly fine.

>>32202179
Wtf army gives bah at e4? Is that just case by case basis it's hard to imagine that's army wide.

>>32202186
How fucked are they? You just have flat feet or what else is wrong?
>>
>>32202186
Bruh, go out and run just one mile. If it takes longer than 9 minutes, you'll likely fail out. If it takes between 7 and 9, you'll struggle, but make it. If it takes less than 7, keep in shape, then go.

As for your feet, don't mention them unless they explicitly ask you if your feet are flat. Don't. The docs will look you over for any obvious signs that you shouldn't be there. If your feet are too flat, they'll DQ you.
>>
>>32202227
Just flat feet, but they change the way my knee deals with impact when I run, so now I have tendinitis and it hurts like a motherfucker. I'm really not sure if it's something I can just fix with exercise and stretching.
>>
>>32202227
I'm an e4 in the airforce and we get to move off base because of no room in the dorms.
>>
>>32202247
Well I'll do that once my tendons get back to normal because I fucked up and right now even walking fast is painful.
I'm not even that worried about my performance itself, it's just that if I get sharp pain in my legs every time I push myself hard, then the army is clearly out of the question.
>>
>>32202259
I imagine you've probably already tried running more on the balls of your feet as opposed to heel strikes? I think that that can be corrected via orthotics.
>>
>>32202278
Is not having to live near other militaryfags and their constant domestic abuse incidents considered that much of a feat?

Moving out is part of adulthood, brolio.
>>
>>32202292
Yeah, I have good form. I don't know, maybe I also overtrained, I really hope it's not a permanent problem.
I got prescribed kinesiotherapy but I don't know if it would help.
>>
>>32202343
just unfuck yourself before you visit a recruiter. Lying won't help when your weak fucking body tells the story. Good luck and see you in a few months.
>>
>>32202278
Must be nice. I was an e5 living in the barracks in the navy. But I made it in 3 years so I can't complain. We went on deployment my final year and now I'm out so it is what it is.
>>32202259
There are running shoes designed for people with flat feet. Look into getting some and correcting your form.
>>
>>32201762
Air Force or navy could be good options depending on whether or not you want to actually do shit (the navy) or sit at home in a chair all day. Not knocking the Air Force, the quality of life is great, but the Navy is much more of an adventure and at-sea life is an interesting way to live.
>>
>>32202382
forgot to mention that if you're smart to make sure you go into a smart people rate or MOS, because otherwise you will be surrounded by people you can't stand
>>
>>32202368
>>32202378
Yeah guess I'll do that and hope I'm not an actual cripple. Thanks anons.
>>
>>32202343
If you can correct it via therapy, just don't mention it to whatever physician they have asking you questions. If it isn't a hindrance to you going about your daily life or to your athleticism it shouldn't be a problem later on.
>>
File: Marines, Army, Navy.png (280KB, 456x304px) Image search: [Google]
Marines, Army, Navy.png
280KB, 456x304px
>>32202378
Its one of the perks. Every branch can make E-5 in about 3 years outside of the Air Force.

No reason to willingly make yourself poorer.
>>
>>32201745
Same boat. Wanting to put my packet in after a few years. But I have my private license and im already enlisted. Gotta get that pension and work at a small airport in bumfuck nowhere mt, id, wa, or ak.
>>
>>32202419
It was considering I wanted to be on a ship and travel. Plus if I had stayed in I would have started getting bah at year 3 and would have overtaken you in money earned easily. Bah in San Diego was huge plus my e5 pay and sea pay. I would have easily
Made more than you in the long run.
>>
File: Americanization.png (852KB, 800x573px) Image search: [Google]
Americanization.png
852KB, 800x573px
I've asked this before, but I'll ask again to be sure.

Is it a good idea to join the Air National Guard as a means to becoming a pilot either within the unit or as active duty piplelined through Virginia's ROTC simultaneous membership program? Which is the superior option? Would a maintenance or an intel MOS make a better pilot?
>>
>>32202797
Bro that's an extremely complicated and specific question. DESU I doubt you'll get an answer here about it.
>>
if someone volunteers to carry the SAW does it make them look like a cocky COD retard?
>>
>>32202797

Your guard MOS is pretty much irrelevant after you commission. Intel is cool for the clearance, but intel pipelines can take delay completion of college by years because of how long they are, and that does not help you become an officer.
>>
>>32202912

If you ask for it.

>Means you can't shoot.

If they assign it to you.

>Means you're fat.

Nobody thinks carrying the SAW is cool, especially in training.
>>
>>32202847
Ok, I'll try to break it down a bit?

Would it be ideal to attain some military experience while studying for a degree?

Is it better to be an active or guard pilot?

Would it be preferable for a pilot to have a better understanding of intel/analysis or how their plane is built and maintained?
>>32202917
But which of those skills makes a better pilot?
>intel pipelines delay completion of college by years
Really? Even for an enlisted guardsman?
>>
>>32202962

>But which of those skills makes a better pilot?

Neither. The better pilot will be the one that gets National Guard bullshit out of the way, commissions, and does well in flight school.

>Really? Even for an enlisted guardsman?

Guardsmen almost always go to the same schools as active duty. If your guard MOS is Chinese linguist, guess what? You're going to get activated for 2+ years straight so you can attend basic training, language training, and then job training. You won't be working on your ROTC degree during that time.
>>
>>32201702
Whats the age cap for joining?
>>
>>32202998
Go active with a and get a guard MOS with short schooling, got it

By the way, the intel MOS I was looking at was fusion analyst. Would anyone happen to have anything to say about that parcticular job?
>>
>>32203151
Google it you idiot
>>
>>32203151
>>
>>32201807
What do they look at for SF86? I'm in some far right groups on Facebook and friends with some of the admins. Should I delete that stuff?
>>
What do y'all think of becoming a navy corpsman?
>>
Which branch will be most accepting of me as a MtF who plans to enlist next summer

Or will they all equally despise me
>>
>>32203912
19 weeks of A school, and you'll be working with members of other branches.

If you're interested in medical, might be your thing.
>>
>>32204011
Remember to mark yourself down as "male" and don't talk about your identity disorder and you'll be fine.
>>
>>32204028

Naw, there's official guidance on how to handle trans folks in the military now. If anon is up-front about it they will help with transitioning and stuff, plus crush the balls (career) of anyone who dares mess with them.
>>
>>32204028
I'm already on hormones and have tits
>>
>>32203912
Good job
Make every effort you can if you don't plan on going fmf to be on a ship first not a hospital.
>>
>>32204061
Then join as a "female" and use your Y chromosomes to help you get past training. You'll be the most physically qualified "female" in the armed services. I'll root for you.
>>
>>32204118
How is it going to work though? I've talked to recruiter and he didn't know shit about the situation.

Because of hormones I have massively reduced muscle and bone density. I have less testosterone than males and females, because females have some while I have virtually none because of testosterone blockers.

Am I going to be in male boot camp, but have lowered physical requirements?

Would they really put me in boot camp with females? I mean I still have a dick
>>
>>32204163
the military isnt for people like you
>>
>>32204187
It is now, legally speaking. You're part of the reason I want to join anon, I want to show the world that not all trannies are total pieces of shit, and some can be useful members of society.
>>
>>32204163
Bro, you'll just be a girl (male) with a penis (female). Stop taking the testosterone blockers for a few months before boot camp then get back on after. Problem solved.
>>
>>32204163

Training is co-ed at almost all locations and has been for decades now. If you're post-transition they will probably have you sleep in the female bay, but they may have you use a separate bathroom/shower facility.
>>
>>32204222
Hopefully a shower with Zyklon B
>>
>>32204222
For which branch? My girlfriend was in marines a few years ago and it was all females in boot camp. Unless it's co-ed for everyone else
>>
>>32204163
>>32204061
>>32204011
>stop taking hormones
>eat a fuckton so it looks like you're a fatass with gyno
>never tell anyone about the hormones
>enlist as male
>wait 6 months after basic
>go to a doctor and talk to him about your BRAND NEW feelings that you NEVER HAD BEFORE
>>
>>32204329
But what would the purpose of that be when I can just enlist as trans to begin with and not be a fatass
>>
>>32204329

This all seems pointlessly circuitous when anon could just enlist as trans. They might even get in the news and shit if they're in the first wave of trans folks to enlist since the new rules came out.
>>
>>32204355
You actually bring up a good point. How do I not end up in the news for being one of the first trans people to enlist? That would suck
>>
>>32204348
>>32204355
There's a difference between not being discharged and being able to enlist.

For instance, you can take ADHD medication while you're in the military, but you have to be off it for a year just to get a waiver to enlist.
>>
>>32204392
Being trans no longer disqualifies you from being able to enlist, they just haven't finished deciding how they're going to implement it
>>
>>32204392
I'd rather the military stop caring about adhd than stop caring about "trans" people. then again, I don't care about either of them.

Also,
>implying getting a waiver for adhd meds is even possible
>>
>>32204392

I'm well aware, but have you been living under a rock? The fact that SecDef mandated trans people be able to enlist has been all over the news for like three months now. It's happening, they've already released the handbook. It's not >We aren't going to kick them out anymore.

It's

>They can walk up to a recruiter, call themselves trans, and join the military.
>>
>>32204406
You can't be discharged for being trans. You can't enlist while being trans, still.

>>32204423
>implying getting a waiver for adhd meds is even possible

That's exactly the point. If you're in the military, you can take them. If you're trying to enlist and you're taking them, then there's no fucking way you're going to get in.

You can transition in the military, but you can't join while being trans
>>
>>32204208
joining for political reasons is dumb as fuck

i hope you get hazed to shit
>>
>>32204392
>you can take ADHD medication while you're in the military

How does one go about doing this? Do you need to visit a doctor while you're on leave to get a prescription and present it to your CoC, or be prescribed the medication by doctors?
>>
>>32204431
I'll need a source for
>They can walk up to a recruiter, call themselves trans, and join the military.

Because everything official I've seen in the last like 6 months has been very specifically worded for "no more discharging"
>>
>>32204512
I'm not joining for political reasons, I always wanted to enlist since I was a kid. As I got older and started dealing with being trans, I thought about enlisting right out of high school as a way to 'man up' and get over my feelings. But I ended up talking to a number of trans people who were ex military who told me that they tried the same thing and it didn't work and was a waste of time, so I put military dreams aside to focus on transition. Now that trans people will be allowed to enlist, I want to again because this time I don't have to hide anything.

>>32204531
The recruiter I talked to said that they don't have a policy yet for letting trans enlist, and told me to check back next year.
>>
>>32204527

Military doctors will diagnose ADHD and provide proper meds. You don't need to go on leave.
>>
>>32204479
yep, even if you're off for 4 years, they'll still deny the waiver, most likely. fact is, unless the military is hurting for personnel, you're not getting a waiver for trans.
>>
>>32204074
What's fmf?
>>
>>32204723
Embedded with a Marine unit because they don't have their own medic MOS
>>
How hard is it to come about getting a waiver for a single kidney stone.
I don't remember the size but I know it wasn't so large they had to operate.
I'm asking because I keep obsessing over missing my chance to enlist after HS.
If I found out I would have been DQ'd it would make me feel better about my decisions.
>>
>>32204231
Edgy.
>>
>>32205556
Waivers are instantly granted to anyone who doesn't fucking say they're disqualified
>>
>>32205711
Unfortunately it would be on med records since I passed it at the hospital.
Was on the right side of my body and I was a retarded 17yr old so I thought it was possibly appendicitis.
>>
>>32205758
They don't go through your medical records unless you give them a reason to.
>>
>>32202130
>>32202118

We get it, you're important, and live a life of relative luxury. You're just not very cool

>>32202140
To a degree. Those guys are a weird halfway between combat and support personnel. They're either flying, encased in a steel box, or miles away, but are still in positions to get kills(especially artillery)
>>
>>32203151
14 and a half
>>
File: enough.jpg (14KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
14KB, 316x202px
>inprocessing for ft campbell
>95% of everyone else inprocessing is 101st
>0530 formations, pt, treated like a fucking retard

i'm a pog please let me free
>>
>>32205871

>Implying that anything conventional grunts have done in the last 5~ years is "cool".

SOF can at least claim to go innadesert and make a real impact. Regular grunts? Unless you're E-6+ you probably haven't been in long enough to do anything "cool" with the recent optempo.
>>
>>32205871
>to a degree

Makes sense. I just would have thought grunts would like arty and helo pilots especially since those guys make their lives a hell of a lot easier.
>>
I'm 6'9'', ~210-15lbs (been a while since I weighed myself)

I have postural kyphosis but it doesn't really bother me.

Is being tall bad? Thinking of joining the Navy. Besides hitting my head everywhere on a ship and maybe getting shit for it (already used to it) are there any real downsides to being tall in the military? Will they even accept me?
>>
File: Screenshot_87.png (9KB, 592x608px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_87.png
9KB, 592x608px
>>32201702
Do they take X-Rays at MEPS? I have slight scoliosis but it in no way impairs my movement or range of motion and is only noticeable by running a finger down my spine while i'm touching my toes or through an X-Ray. Should I lie about it?
My spine looks like pic related and I know the military allows a certain degree of scoliosis but I have no way of finding out my degree. It isn't on paper and the doctor said I was fine.
>>
>>32207367
When I took my MEPS, no. However, the doctor giving me the examination ran her hands down my spine and made me the same things they do to check for scoliosis in middle school.

But as other anons say. Don't mention it. That's more than likely a DQ.
>>
>>32207422
Wouldn't it be a DQ if they found out by running their finger down my spine anyways?
Or are you saying they would DQ me before even going to MEPS?

thanks
>>
Should I go Air Force for a comfy, cushy job? What MOS?
>>
>>32203912
Meh. There are better jobs if you're actually interested in medicine.
>>32205556
Lie. They can't check your civilian med records

>>32205987
What MOS? Where are you headed?

>>32208356
>> what job should I pick for 4 years??

I don't know, anon. What are your interests? What do you qualify for? What are you looking to get out of enlisting?
>>
92Y who got forcefully reclassed out of 11b(they said airborne infanty was full) when he dropped his 18x due to injury

ASK ME ANYTHING, I'll be lurking off and on all day.
>>
>>32208408

And here's your daily reminder that failing an SOF pipeline doesn't guarantee that you'll be infantry, folks.
>>
>>32207450
I was told I have scoliosis at a doctor but when I was checked at MEPS they didn't say anything. If they check at MEPS and think you have it bad enough for a DQ then theyll do it and you'd have to waiver
>>
>have schizophrenia
>no military wants me
>>
>>32204163
>>32204208
>I want to show the world that not all trannies are total pieces of shit

Newsflash, you are a piece of shit.

You know you have communal showers during BCT? Do you want to show off your shriveled penis to the real girls every time you shower? You're mentally ill and shouldn't be allowed near a military base.

Trannies have a laughably high rate of suicide, so keeping you in a high stress place full of guns and people ready to mock your disgusting fetishism seems like a bad idea. Don't take advantage of Obama-era stupidity in the armed forces just to make a stupid point. You're fucked up in the brain and have no place in the military.
>>
>>32208505
They guys who failed rasp(option 40) were fine, they just went to an airborne unit.
Some of us came into the army 11x option 40, but picked up 18x contracts in the AIT portion of OSUT.
>>
I leave for MEPS and then boot camp today, /meg/.
Any last minute tips for a guy who probably fucked up?
>>
how do the age limits work in the military. let's take the marines as example. age limit 28.

what would happen if I would go to the recruiter as a 28 year old but my shipping date would be past my 29th birthday?
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 871x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 871x330px
How difficult is it to become a computer programmer in the chair force?
>>
>>32208710

No matter what happens, just think to yourself: What would Conan the Barbarian do?
>>
>>32208408

Sitting here in cavland with a lad who was a nonselect. I was a 240 PT failure and sat in airborne holdover for 3 months before they sent me to 19D.

Were you the dude who failed the Q course? Do you think you're done with SOF completely or do you think you'll give it another shot in a bit? Know a lad who failed out of the language school in airborne holdover and was just done with giving a fuck.
>>
>>32201830
Okay, that makes me feel more secure in the idea.

The biggest paycheck I've ever received was also like $500 so E-1 pay and above will probably be decent. >>32201948

>>32202442
At least you can fly the damn things. Is it really hard?
>>
File: image.png (66KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
66KB, 250x196px
Do 35Ps like their jobs?
>>
>>32209090
No 35 series likes their job
>>
You have to brainwashed to go killing people because someone told you so
>>
>>32208734
There are waivers available; which makes it a nonissue. The marines does have the lowest pre-waiver maximum though.

We had two 36 year-olds in my bootcamp division.
>>
>>32209285
Only if you're a pussy.
A real man would jump at the chance to kill people and get away with it.
>>
>>32209312
ok and at what point in time will it be determined / checked if you need a waiver or not ?

the day you start talking with a recruiter,meps or after receiving a shipping date to boot camp?
>>
>>32209595
>the day you start talking with a recruiter,

Pretty much.
>>
>>32201702
You boys know much about the Royal Navy?
>>
>>32209110

35Q. Love my job.
>>
Looking to enlist in the next few months as an 11x

I really want to get some combat deployments in though,cause fuck peacetime service, but it looks like shit is slowing down in the Middle East. Anyone more knowledgeable on the situation know if we'll be sending more boots over there in the next year now that Trump is prez?
>>
>>32208650
What's the deal with the army? It seems like it's so easy for people to pick up new contracts and switch them. Or is that just an 18x thing?

>>32208932
Language school? I thought 18x guys learned a language way after they get selected after sfas.
>>
>>32209806
What's the training like? What programming do you learn?
>>
If anyone has questions about basic training or AIT hmu
>>
>>32208403
68U, going to Blanchfield
>>
>>32201745
I just reported to Pensacola for flight school. I was a little worried since some of the people I checked in with have their private pilots license. Every pilot I've talked to said that if anything, prior flying experience is a disadvantage in most cases.

The Navy (or in your case the Army) is going to teach you how it wants you to fly.
>>
>>32210025

Basic script writing and analysis. It isn't a programming course, although there are opportunities to program in some cyber shops.
>>
>>32210258
How difficult is the course?
>>
>>32210212
What was your GPA going into OCS? I'm planning on going that route after I graduate and want to know where I stand.
>>
>>32210442

Academically, it's one of the hardest ones in the military. That isn't saying too much though, you basically take two years of college (lower level courses) in six months. Pass rate is 50-70%.
>>
>>32209871
Don't know what will happen with trump but if you go airborne there's a chance you could get deployed as infantry to support special forces. But no guarantees.
>>
Is it true that if you have to do any medical waivers you can't get opt. 4
>>
>>32201729

I was explosive detection k9 in the air force. Been attached to the army and have to say I liked my job and the respect it begot way more than the infantry units I went out with.

They treat their people like absolute sub human shit and I swear some of them have low forms of mental retardation. I'm not trying to be funny either. Some of the guys had some sort of learning disabilities and behavior problems.

This was in 2005 and on. They used to take anyone for infantry. I met guys that had gangland tattoos on their necks and fingers others with actual felony waivers.

Save yourself the trouble and go k9. Your job opportunities are massive when you get out and the bonus for reenlisting was 80k when I got out after ten years.
>>
>>32201745
I was 19 when I joined. Most guys are somewhere in their 20's and you have some people right out of high school. The oldest was a buddy of mine that joined at 30.

I was retired out early after ten years and e5. E5 pay isn't bad and e6 wasn't worth it for me. When I was in once you made e6 your ride in glorious k9 was over and you went back to regular pleb tier security forces which to many handlers is a punishment worse than death. So a lot of us throw the test a few years to stay within the k9 community.

I lived good on e5 pay. Had a wife kid, bought a nice house, two cars. After taxes I pulled in 50k a year. With secret service missions and per diem I made a lot more than that, especially during 2008 and 2012.

With all of your entitlements you make a lot more than what the base pay chart says. As k9 especially in the mid 2000's we deployed constantly and you get extra entitlements from that.

I recommend everyone to go k9. It's a great job and everyone from the grunt to the four star love us. It's relaxing now but you're guaranteed to see combat attached to army/marine infantry, you'll get attached to the secret service, and generally do and see a lot more than your peers.

I have two army commendations and air force achievements/commendations. It's pretty cool to think I received awards from entirely different services. I got hurt and was medically retired out. I'm rated 100% by the VA, get SSDI, and combat related special compensation(CRSC). with that I pull in over 5k tax free monthly. I get free car registration and don't have to pay property taxes.

Everyone always talks shit about being air force but people know what k9 does and like I said everyone loved us. In the end I'm proud of everything I did, have the paperwork to back it up, made lifelong friends, and retired at 28 years old.
>>
>>32201729

That's an odd way of spelling submarines.

If you don't have fish, you're sub-human.
>>
>>32210780
>I swear some of them have low forms of mental retardation

This is truth man. I dealt with some infantry guys where they just had the glassy eye and low hygiene vibe of an actual retarded person. I mean this in a non-sarcastic, non-joke way.

Plenty of awesome infantry guys around as well, but shit dude, if you have a brain enough for a better MOS, there are plenty out there that will put you in "the shit" without treating you like a subhuman or sticking your life in the hands of actual retards.

>>32210908
>With secret service missions and per diem I made a lot more than that, especially during 2008 and 2012.

VIP missions are best missions. Cool shit like this that infantry guys don't even know they are missing out on is another sweet deal.
>>
>>32210780
>>32210908
Damn you fags are living the dream. Pretty jealous.
>>
>>32201729
Enjoy it while it lasts. Infantry will be replaced by robots by the end of this century.
>>
>>32211109
Close friend of mine was an infantryman for 11 years. He became my roommate when we both got out. plenty of drunk/high chats telling stories and outright lies to each other. We talked about the show guys and he summed it up as, "all you need to do is walk that way, point your gun that way." Basically saying anyone could do it. It's an honorable job and they are what we are all supporting in war time but there's a lot of b's and straight propaganda when it comes to infantry.

As k9 at home station we just train with our partner. Explosive detection, bite work etc. We perform some police duties but at my base we focused on training more than anything else. My boy told me on home station they just get sent on base beatification missions policing cigarette butts or writing out training on a white board or other really mundane shit.

If people knew what the infantry actually was no one would willing do it. I think they have to specially glorify it to get people there. How many career infantryman do you know? One maybe two, everyone else gets out after their first enlistment and have no relatable job skills. Most never use TA while in and don't have any schooling to show for. A few of my buddies that are former infantry have matured say they wished they would have picked a job that set them up for civilian life.

I'm not trying to rag on it, It's honorable and respectable it's just not as romantic as the autists here make it out to be.
>>
>>32211193
same guy just posted twice. There aren't really many k9 people, it's a tiny career field.
>>
Is CTR a good rate
>>
>>32211448
Still sounds like he made out like a bandit.

>>32211460
Yes. Great job in navy terms.
>>
>>32209285
>killing muslims

>brainwashed
>>
File: 1439069744674.png (35KB, 808x690px) Image search: [Google]
1439069744674.png
35KB, 808x690px
>>32201702
Sorry in advance if I'm going off topic. I'm a hospital side corpsman here and I'm going up for my next orders soon.
Can I request orders to a specific unit? I would love to go to a LAR battalion but I'm not entirely sure how that works. I'd ask my coc but most of them are Army and don't really know.
>>
>>32211518
Yeah dude I'm really thankful how everything turned out. When my med board went through no one expected anything from me and it was just a waiting game to get out.

I divorced my cheating dependsaurus hooked up with 18-22 year olds for a while then met a church going good girl. My life has really turned out well. I'm not physically disfigured or anything just have lung problems they can't figure out so I'm in this long term study.

Tbh I'm bored most the time and never spent so much time on the internet in my life. I miss it a lot but I'm 30 and making e6 would not have been a choice anymore I would have had to do it around now. Then it would be back to a regular sfs squadron of fat females and paper pushing faggots making everyone's life miserable.

My younger brother just went the k9 route but in the army. The recruiters will act like you can't go k9 straight away but they're either lying or don't know that you can. They only open 12 slots a year but it's worth waiting. I had to write a letter of recommendation to the recruiters commander and my dad is a Ranger from the Vietnam era and he had to go talk to the commander. Him being a Ranger was the real catalyst when they found that out they started to be helpful. Some other poor bastard was removed from his slot so my brother could take it.

My dad was a civilian handler that got quite famous with fear factor and a few movies. K9 runs in the family. Took my first bite at 10 years old from a black Malinois and decided that's what I wanted to do.

I'm just rambling, I fucking miss that shit tough.
>>
>>32209285
Then I won't kill people. Just muslims, communists, and liberals.
>>
File: 1459333213094.png (324KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1459333213094.png
324KB, 800x800px
>>32201729
Do National Guard Grunts count?
>>
>>32211673
So you're getting full disability cause of some random lung problem they can't even figure out?
>>
File: 1430589237863.jpg (29KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1430589237863.jpg
29KB, 1280x720px
>>32211258
>Infantry will be replaced by robots he says

There will always been a need for grunts
>>
>its an "Air Force linguist stands up in front of the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force so he can talk about how AIDS-infected persons should get to deploy. Followed by the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force saying this is already allowed" episode
>>its an "Air Force linguist stands up in front of the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force so he can cry about homosexuals being oppressed but he is unable to come up with specific examples. And then immediately cries about gay marriage. Even though this is no longer an issue" episode

The average Airfuck, everybody
>>
File: h6MmyUT.jpg (288KB, 1200x915px) Image search: [Google]
h6MmyUT.jpg
288KB, 1200x915px
>>32208515
Ok, thank you very much. Here, have this cool picture as a show of thanks!
>>
>>32211798
What pronouns do Airmen prefer to be called?
>>
If i wanted to be a tank crewman in the US army, do i need any college for it? How would i go about getting into that position?
>>
>>32212091
No
Walk into the Army office, look the recruiter straight in the eye, shake his hand and ask for 19K
>>
>>32212123
I appreciate it. Are there different roles that you can apply for, like the loader, the gunner, driver, etc? Or is that just a video game trope?
>>
>>32211757

No I only got 30% for that. I had a lot more wrong with my back, knees, and shoulders to where I couldn't ruck anymore. My combined rating totals 200 something percent. The rating isn't like 50 plus 50 equals 100%, It is hard as fuck to get rated 100%, most people. The lung study was offered after they acknowledged burn pits were fucking us up. I was meb'd for the lung issues. I couldn't fucking breathe doing regular shit. I'm on a few steroid inhalers, check it twice a month, sometimes they do biopsies. They've found some kind of heavy metal in the biopsies and said it's from Iraqi sand mixed with metal or some shit. Figured it's happening anyway may as well help if it'll benefit another dude down the road .
>>
Not looking to ask anything, but I just wanted to tell you guys your OP pics are always pretty hilarious.
>>
>>32212141
You get what you get.
>>
Is infantry even worth it . I just want to learn new survivor skills and things in that nature like learning to shoot and protect myself but I keep being told not to go that route . So do any anons have have any stories,advice, knowledge, about going 11x or any other mos that you would suggest
>>
>>32212396
You can become a USAF SERE instructor and be do proficient with survival you will teach you all of that. It's always a critically named career field so you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot. It's a tough school though so get ready physically and mentally.
>>
>>32212526
Named=manned*
>>
How badly do 11bs treat new guys at their first duty stations?
>>
>>32212620
your gonna get hazed and branded.
>>
>>32212631
I was hoping only marines were psychos
>>
>>32212526
I'll research on that but I'm more interested in the army
>>
>>32201702
I've surgery on my wrist to remove a cyst a few months ago, would this effect me in wanting to enlist?

Also the cyst has come back, it's not bad but its painful
>>
If I wanted to study medicine AND see combat, how good of a choice is Navy Corpsman?
>>
>>32212826
Good if you go sarc. Better idea would be going 18x and hoping you get 18D.
>>
Which branch is best suited for biotech or biochem? I've been leaning towards the Air Force but I'm still an amateur with the military.
>>
>>32212850
I'm sorry i understood exactly none of your post.
>>
>>32211673
Do you miss your doggos?
>>
>>32213074

Lab tech jobs are probably closest on the enlisted side. Medical officer might be closest on the officer side. Research roles are generally only held by civilians.
>>
>>32213076
Google those terms. Itll explain it better than i can and in more detail.
>Sarc
>18D
>>
>>32213139
Any by SARC he doesn't mean USAF SARC because those are just people who talk about "safe spaces" and other SJW terms.
>>
>>32213134
Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>32212850
I uh, I don't wanna do spec ops though ._. or is it not as different from corpsman as I think?
>>
I heard Army OCS was closed to civilians back in 2013. Have they reopened slots for civilians yet? My intention was to apply right after graduating from school next year.

If I can get in, my goal would be to get an mos in healthcare like 70B--health services administrator. From what I understand it's basically the level between a 68W (enlisted combat medic) and a 65D (PA which can be direct commissioned). Now I know you're never guaranteed shit in the military and the jobs you're offered are your only choices, but if I mention that I have my Advanced EMT certification will it make me more likely to be offered a job in health services?
>>
>>32213227
Not him but in the Navy you'll likely be stuck on a ship or on shore handing out pills.

If you want to be a combat medic you can go 68w in the army and try to get assigned to an infantry unit instead of stuck at a hospital.
>>
File: 1479911756427.jpg (61KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479911756427.jpg
61KB, 480x480px
>>32213227
>AND see combat
Well when you said
>AND see combat
I figured you wanted to go all the way. Instead you could try going FMF as a corpsman and youll get attached to a marine unit. But again, the only guys really seeing combat atm are spec ops guys thats why i said sarc or 18D.
>>
>>32213287
I'm ok with the ship part tho, it'd be interesting to me to be stationed on a ship
>>
>>32213336
oh, well how much would spec ops for medics be different from just a normal corpsman?
>>
When I was in primary school I was voluntarily in a mental ward for dumb shit

I'm just going to lie to meps, its on my records, how fucked am I?
>>
>>32213115
Everyday. I have a little memorial in my living room for the k9 I lost. There's a couple articles on us but I'm not really cool with weaponized autism knowing my real name.
>>
>>32213402
A bit more info.

I was a highschool athlete, but I am no scholar. I wanted to try and become a navy corpsman attached to a marine unit.

When I was in primary school I tried to kill myself by choking myself because I was upset, and it was retarded baby shit but I got put into a hospital with parental consent. Bullshit like that desu. I'm just going to lie to meps, is it possible I can get caught? Was on meds for like a year, and was diagnosed with bpd. But literally no symptoms because I never really talked to any doctors, they just observed me as I did shit in the hospital lol.
>>
>>32213402
Don't lie about anything they can figure out. If you have any metal or surgeries or they find out about the mental health shit during your security clearance check you are 110% fucked.

Finances are a huge deal too if your job requires a security clearance. I went through k9 school with a navy ma and the week we were supposed to graduate they kicked him out because of a bankruptcy that was recent and he couldn't get a clearance. They didn't reclass him or anything, just kicked him the fuck out.

If they catch you lying about shit you'll more than likely see jail time depending on your commander or investigators recommendation.
>>
>>32213489
What security clearance shit? I hear stories all the time about people lying and doing their 4 years and getting out clean, what are the realistic odds if I just want to be a corpsman for 4 years with marines.
>>
>>32213402
Felony charges.

Probably not jail time, but probation.
>>
>>32213527
I dont think they would give you a clearance for that or infantry. Actual jobs that mean something will require it.

Lying about how many times you smoked weed is a lot different than having hard records saying you're a bpd psycho that shows tendencies since childhood.
>>
>>32213558
I'm fine, I was just a bratty spoiled 9 year old.
>>
File: exde2.jpg (40KB, 456x570px) Image search: [Google]
exde2.jpg
40KB, 456x570px
>>32213558
So to recap it, as long as I'm not trying to do stupid shit and my story is good, and I give them 0 reasons to check, I'll be A-okay?
>>
>>32213402
What are you trying to sign up for? If you're doing something that doesn't require a security clearance they won't check what you say so you can lie away and probably get away with it.
>>
>>32213595
Navy corpsman, hopefully with a marine detachment.
>>
File: 1480738751401.jpg (167KB, 1024x1207px) Image search: [Google]
1480738751401.jpg
167KB, 1024x1207px
>>32213392
Turd, I told you to use google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_reconnaissance_corpsman

>>32213606
Keep your mouth shut. If you tell the truth youre fucked. They wont find out but if they did you say you didnt lie just that you "forgot". But again, they wont find out. Ignore all the idiots telling you theyre gonna charge you with a felony or whatever. Shit never happens.
>>
>>32213644
What job did you do?

A guy in my squadron was going OSI, decided to tell the truth which wasn't the same as his original statements and they charged/booted his ass. 12 years down the drain and a dishonorable. Do you realize how fucking hard it is to get a dishonorable? I've seen drug addicts get OTH. but lying on your contract will fuck you up.

Especially if he has a paper trail. Everyone lies about some of the shit but it's stuff that can't be proven.
Guy who asked the question do not listen to this man.
>>
>>32213779
Hey you daft cunt
I'm not going for 12 years
I'm doing 4 years
As basically infantry.
>>
>>32213808
You will be alright then.

Just be able to breathe unassisted and pass pic related.
>>
So guys, I have a master's degree in being a barista and nothing going for me in life. How's the airforce?
>>
File: 1475719512030.jpg (51KB, 413x428px) Image search: [Google]
1475719512030.jpg
51KB, 413x428px
>>32213779
>decided to tell the truth which wasn't the same as his original statements
THATS HIS FAULT YOU DUMB FAGGOT. He admitted to it. Why didnt he just keep lying??? They wouldve never found out. You people fucking kill me. You just admitted that he fucked himself over. Its his fault.
>but lying on your contract will fuck you up.
It wont as long as you arent a moronic pussy and you stick to it.
>>32213808
You have a brain cause you get it. Lie and youll be fucking fine. And again, stick to that lie.
>>
>>32213899
If you're a barista, you're used to dealing with faggots all day long. The Air Force will feel like home to you.
>>
How hard would it be to become a Firefighter for the military (12M)?
>>
>>32214347

The MOS is super tiny, you probably won't be able to lock it down unless you're very lucky or very patient. It's likely that if you walk into the recruiter's office and say "I want firefighter and won't sign for anything else", they'll just write you off as someone who is never joining.
>>
>>32214379
When I got out most of it was transitioning to civilians and guys were being forced retrain.
>>
>>32211734
>do weekend warriors count
Only on the weekends
t. Weekend warrior
>>
File: 1480383466237.jpg (99KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480383466237.jpg
99KB, 960x960px
How to pronounce devgru?
>>
>>32214379
Alright thank you. I was looking at other options like some kind of Technician or Engineer before just diving into infantry, but Firefighting has always appealed to me.
>>
>>32213779
>>32213905
I get the impression that for small stuff like "he did pot ONCE" or "he took adhd meds 3 years ago!" they won't give a shit as long as you keep your mouth shut. Thing is, if you fuck up and admit you lied, then they're obligated to do something about it.

Therefore, you shouldn't give them a reason to do anything about it. This is accomplished by keeping your mouth shut.
>>
>>32214672
Basically whatever you tell them initially is what you stick with your entire time in.
>>
File: 9YekYrX.png (55KB, 850x1905px) Image search: [Google]
9YekYrX.png
55KB, 850x1905px
Kind of an odd scenario, but what if someone with a phd in life sciences applied for the air force? No legal issues, fairly fit, etc.

>pic mostly unrelated
>>
>>32214854
Yep. I could qualify for the ADHD waiver and the pot waiver, but it's such a fucking pain in the ass to track down the retired doc (who only used paper records in his private practice), and there's no record of me trying pot, so I decided lol fuck it. The entire time I'm in, I'll just say "nah, I never had it/did that. Ref #2 said I did? He's just confusing me with Eric. Who's Eric? My friend, but I don't know where he went and he never believed in last names or phones. Too bad."
>>
>>32214887
You could try to go officer. Phd is impressive I would talk to someone about going that route. I've know people with masters etc that just went regular enlisted.

If I were you though I'd use that phd to get an officer spot.
>>
>>32214887
How old are you?
>>
>>32215003
Allow me to follow this up with:
As long as I keep my mouth shut, they probably won't ask me or dig into it. Even if I go for a TS clearance. Those guys look for financial trouble, foreign connections, actual mental issues, and criminal history.
>>
>>32215004
Ideally I want to fly. I know that only officers get to fly, so I figured I'd position the phd I'm working on to try to get that quickly.
>>32215016
24, 25 soon.

I remember taking the ASVAB in highschool for "fun" aka to get out of class and got 99's on everything except mechanics. I need to retake it right?
>>
>>32215050
My understanding was fighter slots are reserved for academy grads. I don't know how true that is but in the ten years I was in that's what i was told. Regular transport and helo's are open to everyone else though, well other officers. I was just a k9 handler if you really want to do it call up a recruiter or ask around.

My buddy was an enlisted electrician in the air force then went blue to green after getting some aeronautics degree and now flys apaches for the army.

Another friend of mine went security forces joined the army after, went infantry, then got his commission and flys blackhawks.

It's totally possible man. Wish I had more info to give you.
>>
>>32210998
Stfu Steven
>>
>>32215314
No worries, I appreciate the advice you have. Again, it's an odd scenario. I've looked a bit more into it, and it seems like even if I don't fly the benefits for industry would be great - security clearance, recognition of military service, etc etc

Worst case scenario I can always get a private or sporting pilots license.
>>
>>32214672
>>32215003
>>32215034
Correct. The number 1 thing people don't realize about this shit is that the recruiters want you to get in. You're fulfilling their quota. So the less hassle you are for them the better. When you start admitting to shit that's just more work for them and they're gonna tell you to fuck off cause you aren't worth it. Keep your kith shut and thy won't know any different.
>>
>>32201702
WHat kind of stuff does an Army Transportation Officer do? What sort of stuff do they do when deployed? When Home?
>>
>>32215876
They manage transportation, plan and conduct convoys, etc.

When home, they babysit mentally retarded truck drivers and give them UCMJ when they beat their wives.
>>
>>32201729
This.

If you aren't going 11B or 0311 fucking kill yourself right now.

Have some self respect
>>
>>32215861
Not just the recruiter. The OPM investigators as well. They don't give a shit about your thumb fracture or your add or those 3 times you did pot in junior year. They want to know you aren't a chinese spy.
>>
>>32215314
Lots of pilots never went to the academies. In fact, I know one who was commissioned through OTS with a history degree and had LASIK
>>
>>32215934

Logistics are far more important than infantry. An army marches on it's stomach. Without all the supporting elements, infantry would be not only meat shields, but starving meatshields without any ammunition or batteries.
>>
Should I wait to enlist after my lower back bulged disc heals
>>
3D1X3
I can sign tomorrow. Should I?
>>
torn meniscus, had surgery last summer, going in for surgery again, this time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autologous_chondrocyte_implantation.

can i still join after i get fully through this with a medical waiver or am i basically barred from service.
>>
>>32209912
Navy will fuck you if you don't make it as a seal. I'm sure all branches fuck you if you don't make it through your initial job and need to get reclassed.
>>32212850
18x is a meme. Don't do it.
>>32208932
No I'm the guy who got there in the summer and got hurt in student company.
>>
>>32209912

>Language school? I thought 18x guys learned a language way after they get selected after sfas.

Theres about 2 years of training after selection depending on your MOS. If you fail any part of that you're liable to get dropped and turned into something else. This is why Green Berets have such a high turnover.
>>
I'm thinking about becoming an engineer with the army or marines.
I'm an electrical engineering student right now, and I have experience with robotics and programming.
No history with the military.
Any advice?
>>
>>32203616

sooner the better
>>
File: 1480349053104m.jpg (99KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1480349053104m.jpg
99KB, 1024x683px
>>32201702
Poolie here. I was hyped to be able to do MSG duty somewhere down the line and find a nice Svetlana there, but I just learned you can't qualify for MSG duty if your spouse is not a US citizen. Does this apply to getting married to a foreign national while on MSG duty? Would the Corps disallow you from marrying that person until you're off MSG duty?
>>
>>32219444
Surely there is someone closer to you than someone on Vietnamese basket weaving forum that can answer that question
>>
>>32219471
Recruiter said he'd "look into it," so in the mean time, I thought I'd ask the Laotion tapestry forum
>>
>>32214563
Dev-gru

Just make the sounds the letters make.
>>
If I go 74D option 40, will I be a door kicker in a MOP suit?
>>
Would SERE or TACP be a funner job?
>>
Boys im seriously considering joining the army as an officer.

Everyone around me tells me that I will come back with PTSD, how much of this is true?

> going in as engineering officer or comms officer
>>
File: LA noire.jpg (41KB, 654x720px) Image search: [Google]
LA noire.jpg
41KB, 654x720px
>>32220502
Then everyone around you is as retarded as they seem
>>
>>32220549
enlighten me please
>>
>>32216383
I meant fighter pilots.
>>
>>32220568
You'll be fine. Most people don't get ptsd and a lot of the cases are liars anyway.
>>
>>32220568
Only about 10% of servicemen actually see any form of combat, as an officer, especially the ones you seem to desire, that chance is probably even lower.
>>
>>32220596
>>32220604

Okay maybe not PTSD but nightmares.
This infantry officer I talked with said that he has seen things he wants to forget but cant.
That doesnt sound fun.

Engineer Corps goes into combat with the infantry right?
>>
>>32220626
>Infantry Officer
There ya go, infantry, on the off chance you do get attached to an infantry unit as an engineer, you'll probably just be building a FOB while they set security, you'll most likely be fine.
>>
>>32220663
As an officer the army will give me a university bachelor and a training for officer in 4 years at the military university in my country. After that I have to serve 7 years or pay all the training and education back.

Would you recommend this as a comms or engineer officer?

And which of these 2 jobs would be better?
>>
>>32220820
Is this the RMC?
>>
>>32204011
Coast guard. You'll live state side, you'll save lives that matter, all jobs are open to both men and women. Seems perfect.
>>
>>32220898
>RMC
No the KMA in the netherlands
>>
>>32221088
Well you'll just be building refugee camps then, no risk of PTSD, I'd say comms officer but it's really up to you desu
>>
>>32218211
>>32218533
Neither of you guys answered my question at all. I already know everything you said.
>>
>>32221133
And would you even recommend the army at all?
As I said everyone around me says to not do it. even ex-officers. But its the only job I cannot get out of my head, everyday I think about how much I want to go there. Could I be romantisizing the army?
>>
>>32221294
Certain ones yes, but the Dutch military hasn't really done anything outside of Afghanistan and there's literally no chance of going there unless you guys step up your NATO commitment and NATO does something there again, so I suppose you are romanticizing the army as a guaranteed deployment and combat, which it's not, even for the US.
>>
>>32221351
Yea I dont care about deployment, just dont want to be a broken human when coming back from deployment. Any tips & tricks for going in as officer?
>>
>>32216438
This.

Hell, I'm an 11b, and i fucking love almost all support nerds.

The only time long-term IN guys will hate on pogs is when they go full pog: refusing to push a logpack because its "too dangerous" (motherfuckers, we live here. Just bring me some fucking mres, fuel, and ammo) or when cooks demand we furnish a cooking detail that they'll "supervise" from behind the mkt while smoking.

A lot of the vitriol borne of combat arms vs. Cs/css comes from the fact that the cs/css guys puss out / sham out when they're truly needed.
>>
>>32221269
Ask the question again
>>
>>32221649
Shut up you fuckin leg
>>
>>32221557
Nothing that you haven't already heard from your officer friends, that being said, most likely the higher your grades, the better your duty selection, but that's the US so idk
>>
>>32220009
No.
You also will rarely do your job. You'll get tasked out to random admin shit/armorer/random jobs.

That is, until you get your Lima 3, and have a bunch of other certifications to do your job well.

>>32220147
Depends what you're into. TACP is no joke. SERE seems cool as hell. >>32218561
Finish college.
>>
>>32221670
This anon said >>32208932
>Know a lad who failed out of the language school in airborne holdover and was just done with giving a fuck.
Thats why i asked what he meant, cause from what i know about 18x you take your language course after SFAS and youve alread been selected.
>>
If someone were to have prior surgeries from years ago, all of which were voluntary and sports-related, would it be wise to keep my mouth shut? Haven't spoken to a recruiter yet, but none of these surgeries and their related non-issues affect my athletic performance in anyway.

Only concern is two scars, but I plan on telling them about the time I jumped a chain-link fence and fell.

No drug records, no criminal records, nothing. Just concerned if they would make a big deal out of the scars. There is no hardware either, so an x-ray wouldn't pick anything up.
>>
>>32221718
thank you for all the info
>>
>>32222021
Same poster as above^ here.

Also, I've looked at the Top Secret clearance forms online. Nothing asked about medical history aside from mental health.

Would investigators look at pharmaceutical records? I would imagine if a doctor prescribed something for pain, that could jeopardize someone who claims to not have any history of surgeries.
>>
>>32221685
>ah bloo bloo bloo
>my expectations don't match reality

Stay in your lane. Let the adults talk to the nice parachute packers for you.
>>
So, if I was getting recurring (non-debilitating, very mild) headaches for a few weeks, doctor prescribes a short run of amyltriptaline, no refills, headaches go away, never a problem again, is that something that is instant DQ or just a waiver?
>>
>>32222145
I'm only asking because I'm afraid if I don't disclose it, the stress and sleep deprivation on Black Friday will make me shit my pants and spill my guts during the "moment of truth" and I'll get sent home.
>>
File: Human Limits.jpg (275KB, 800x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Human Limits.jpg
275KB, 800x1103px
Currently im an EMT in a large metropolitan area, we respond to average of 7 calls a day and i have a year of experience, i also have an associates in general sciences. I applied to paramedic school and didn't make it in, my GPA of 3.1 was too low.

So im looking for another way to get my Paramedic certification and to also get out of my civilian life, i have treated GSWs and critical trauma and im physically fit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know of 68W and Navy Corpsman but looking into it either they don't offer a paramedic equivalent certificate or there isn't much information about it how transferable it is to civilian Medicine.

Thank you, i'll continue looking on my own as well.
>>
Do they look at your medical history for a TS clearance
>>
you all are some fucking poor excuse pieces of shit.

get your shit together and stop trying to fucking lie for sf 86s and go fucking workout and stop asking how to get better at running and push ups.
>>
>>32222502
Thank you for your valuable contribution.
>>
File: followme-coat-of-arms_975.jpg (45KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
followme-coat-of-arms_975.jpg
45KB, 660x660px
Turning Blue on this Thursday, just got our phones. AMA.
Infantry OSUT is boring as fuck.
>>
>>32201884
>Do not
Go to a recruiter until you know what job and branch you want

This is the most important info you will ever receive. Recruiters don't give a shit about what you want, they care about making mission and plugging you in to whatever job their branch says they need bodies in. Do your homework, talk to vets (preferably ones that aren't oxygen thieves) and base your decision that way. Also remember, the initial signature doesn't mean shit, it only matters on the contract you sign on your ship date. If you don't get the job you want, don't bother signing any contract. If you walk out of MEPS because they didn't give you the job you want (as long as you actually qualify of course, you aren't going to get SIGINT if you get line scores under 90 and an overall ASVAB score of 40) they will get you in to the job you want because they need that stat. Life is extremely hard for recruiters right now because of all of the stringent requirements to enlist now. It's not like when we had two full blown wars going on and they could waiver everything. Get what you want.
>>
>>32204423
don't get me started on how I was cock blocked from joining because of ADHD meds and anti depressants despite the fact that I worked 2 years at a tree farm doing back breaking labor and worked at a shipping company loading and driving trucks and had an associates.

Yet they let these tranies join who are taking anti testosterone drugs that impair their function to do physical labor..
Gets me mad bro..
I have nothing against tranies but the fact that they bitch about standards fucking pisses me off.
>>
>>32221685
When you get mad at one of the few people that appreciate you
>>
>>32202227
>Wtf army gives bah at e4? Is that just case by >case basis it's hard to imagine that's army wide.

it's not that uncommon to be allowed to move off post as an E4 at smaller (aka non divisional) posts. If there is no room in the barracks, they give you BAH and you move off post.
>>
>>32202545
>MFW that skyscraper Navy barracks in San Diego is the most baller G housing ever
>>
>>32204423
there is no waiver, you just have to be off of them for 1 year.

t. someone who did exactly this and is at 13+ years of service
>>
>>32222626

Feel free to go to a recruiter, just have the balls to say "no" if they aren't willing to work with you. It is that simple.
>>
>>32222685
Ya I've heard of that I just can't imagine being so lucky.
>>32222701
You talking about the beacon? I wasn't lucky enough to be in there. I was slummin in ghetto ass palmer hall.
I know thy built brand new barracks like 2 years ago right as I was getting out. Supposedly they're nice as fuck.
>>
>>32220571
go for naval aviator then. They don't give academy grads first pick, unlike air force
>>
>>32222742
>13+ years
>joined 2 years after 9/11
Yeah, no shit they let you in.
>>
Should I join military with bulging disk or should I let it heal first
>>
>>32223661
Definitely let it heal first.
Going in broken is a terrible move.
>>
>>32222742
>you just have to be off of them for 1 year.
do you need to submit medical records for this or do you just say "i've been off for a few years"
>>
which branch would be the most promising in getting a k9 mos without having to wait forever or having to serve in a different mos first?
>>
>>32223635
It was good times, man. Not the guy you replied to but someone else who enlisted literally a month after 9/11. I went in with ADD, Tourette's syndrome, and vision so bad that the Navy was literally the only branch that would even take me, and I STILL had recruiters fighting over me. I told the recruiter that I had ADD and Tourette's and gave him the absurd list of medications I'd been on for both of them since childhood, he just said "Er, lemme just check this out real quick," made one very quick phone call, and was like "Yep, you're good!" Absolutely no fucks given. I'm pretty sure I could have wheeled my dead grandmother in there, Weekend At Benie's style, and got a waiver for her in 2001.
>>
>>32223661
Would definitely advise against going in with an existing condition, even if they'll issue you a waiver for it. It'll come back to haunt you when you get out, your back is fucked, and they attribute 100% of it to your preexisting condition so the VA doesn't have to provide you with anything. It's hard enough getting them to establish service-connected injury documentation, don't give them an easy way out after they fuck up your body.
>>
>>32222606
1 to 10 how easy was red phase and what's reception like ?
>>
File: 1477355748610.jpg (55KB, 723x722px) Image search: [Google]
1477355748610.jpg
55KB, 723x722px
Army or marines, lads?
>>
>>32224470
Reception is absolute hell

If you're in decent shape, red phase is honestly easy as fuck. You just deal with the fuck fuck games. I'm in 2/54 so we ran to 'the tree' a lot at Treadwell Barracks. Constant tree runs were genuinely the worst thing, and it's only like 350 meters up and down a tiny hill
>>
>>32224609
marins
>>
anyone with a ts here lie about drug use on the sf86?
>>
>>32210467
Whats better, CTN or 35Q?
>>
>>32224609
0311 or nothing faggot
>>
What does "Competitive" mean in your aptitude test rating mean?
>>
>>32221781
Yeah this guy sounds ill informed. Language school is one of the LAST things you do in the Q course.
>>
>>32224470
Reception is so fucking whack. Red phase is just annoying. OSUT isn't HARD, it's just really annoying.
>>
>>32228193
>Reception is so fucking whack.
Sorry to hear that Anon. We had pretty good reception at Lackland
>>
>>32228179
Right that's what I figured.
>>
>>32228872
>>32228872
>>32228872
>>
File: 1472355426335.jpg (55KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
1472355426335.jpg
55KB, 329x475px
>>32216561
Client systems? Yea shits great, if you go USAF and can't be a pilot then comms is the way to go.

-3D0X3
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.