[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: deer_moose.jpg (33KB, 600x307px) Image search: [Google]
deer_moose.jpg
33KB, 600x307px
Hello internet wizards.

I am new to the rifle game and I want to know what the best round///rifle to purchase for practicing and ulitimately hunting deer and moose. Is there one rifle to handle both? Obviously one that isn't going to have me hunting a bleeding elk, and one that isn't going to leave me with meat paste from a deer.

Thanks!
>>
Savage Axis in 3006
>>
What range? Manual or automatic action? Budget?
>>
>>31818640

>>31817916
>>
File: 1427855690839.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427855690839.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>31818640
I don't actually think you tried at all
>>
>>31818640
Honestly, consider buying two rifles. I love my 300 blackout bolt gun for deer. It doesn't destroy much meat and gets the job done. For elk and moose, eh, gotta step it up. I'm probably going to get my self a 6.5x55 soon.

Just look at a reloading book op. It will give you an idea how powerful things can get. Most people are happy with 308, 30-06, the various common magnums, but maybe you will pick something neat because you read about it in a reloading book. :)
>>
>>31818640
I would not go smaller than .270 for Moose. Going up a step into a .30-06 or .308 is obviously a better choice, especially since some really hot, borderline magnum loads exist for the .30-06. Also getting a 7mm-08, 7mm Magnum, or .300 Win Mag are all going to hit a moose really fucking hard but not destroy a deer.

Hell, slippery slope says get a .375 H&H, whitetail will be fine.
>>
>>31818640

30-06 or .308 Win sound like your go-to for bolt guns or semi.

.35 Rem or 45-70 Gov for lever.
>>
>>31818640
Want a cheap deer killer? Mosin-Nagant.

Want an expensive deer killer? Idk... this is a highly subjective question with a few different calibers ranging from 30-30 to .308. I personally use a 70s model Weatherby Mark V 30-06 my grandfather gave me to get deer. 30-06 might be small for moose though but I've never seen one in person so I can't say at all if it'd be effective. I've taken elk with my Weatherby though if that helps.

Shot placement is always critical. you can take a grizzly bear with a well placed .223 if you're not too far out and put the bullet in a vital artery.
>>
>>31818753
>but I've never seen one in person
They are fucking huge and will absolutely wreck your shit

I always carry a gun on me when I'm in Vermont, and that shit isn't for bears.
>>
get yourself a real rifle anon
>>
>>31818782
I can imagine a moose would be quite dangerous, but I live in south texas...
>>
>>31818753

What's the max range that you would shoot a deer from with a mosin?
>>
>>
>>31818640

Tikka t3 in 30.06
>>
>>31818820
Those tikkas feel amazing and they're light as fuck
>>
The mosin is shit. Don't get it.
Excellent bolt action hunting rifles cheapest to expensive
>savage axis
>ruger american
>savage 11
>tikka t3

Do not get a remington 700.
Do buy a scope worth about 1/3 of your rifle. Nikon scopes are good if you are on a budget. Don't forget to buy the rails, rings, and blue thread locker.
>>
OP here, thank you for your suggestions, I will tell you a little more about me. Sorry for being uninformed...

I live in British Columbia, Canada. I've heard good things about Savage Arms.

I like the idea of a bolt action rifle, and I've seen that Steven Rinella uses .270 and 7mm rounds. That seems to be the type of hunting I would like to do, spot and stalk. I don't know much about brands or what to look out for when it comes to gimmicks or sizes of rifle. I am not interested in shot guns, I just want something in the middle ground that would help me grab a deer or moose and fuck up a bear if one decides to make chew toy of me.
>>
>>31818796
Assuming you're using good ammo (not Soviet surplus), I'd say that if you have the skill and have a sniper variant, 5 yards would be the max distance you could take a deer reliably at due to the variances of the rifles. It really, really, really, depends on the year, factory, country of origin, etc.

>>31818852
>the mosin is shit
you are bourgeoisie shit
>>
>>31818912
*500 yards
>>
>>31818923
No, the first post was correct, you just forget to mention you need to fix the bayonet first.
>>
it's probably not a popular opinion, but the size difference between a deer and moose is drastic, and a caliber that will reliably drop both without being inhumane/wasteful is a tall order
i'd personally suggest getting two separate rifles. one in something like .243 or .30-30, and one in 30-06 or .308. the brand/model is mostly irrelevant, provided you do a proper break-in on your barrel and are habitual with your cleaning/maintenance
>>
>>31818937
I'm pretty sure there are some chinese mosins that can't do more than 5 yards without the bayonet
>>
File: 1393727766127.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
1393727766127.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>31818954
>the brand/model is mostly irrelevant, provided you do a proper break-in on your barrel and are habitual with your cleaning/maintenance

Fucking fudds get off my board
>>
Lee Enfield in .303

Will kill anything on this continent
>>
>>31818954

but .270 down the middle wouldn't do both?
>>
>>31818907

Where in bc?
>>
>>31818983
it's pretty light for moose, OP said he didn't want to hunt a bleeding moose. it'd work fine for deer though
>>
>>
7 mm or 30-06
>>
>>31818954

Where do you intend to hunt moose in bc?
>>
>>31818975
what a brilliant addition to this conversation. your parents must be proud
>>
>>31819050
i don't intend on ever going to bc m8...
>>
File: 24.jpg (20KB, 451x343px) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
20KB, 451x343px
>>31818954
>the brand/model is mostly irrelevant, provided you do a proper break-in on your barrel and are habitual with your cleaning/maintenance
>>
>>31818640
.300 Weatherby never did me wrong. .243 ain't bad either.

Very different weapons but I've done deer with both.
>>
>>31819070

You fucking said you were from bc

Stop being such a fucking retard
>>
>All this misinformation
>All these stupid fucking special snowflake calibers

It takes a supremely stupid man to make hunting complicated. People have been killing deer, elk, moose, whatever for fucking centuries. Get a fucking gun, shoot the fucking thing.

.308 will drop a moose no problem as long as you can aim, and good news, it doesn't cost 3 dollars a round so you can actually practice with it.
>>
>>31819020
Meant for>>31818907

Ignore>>31819107
>>
The bigger the wound, the better the fuck hole.
>>
>>31818954
>and a caliber that will reliably drop both without being inhumane/wasteful is a tall order

This is wrong.

You avoid waste through shot placement. It has almost nothing to do with caliber (within reason). The size of the animal does not influence the size of the waste if a bad shot is taken.
>>
>>31818907

Hey anon, I live in Prince George. Also a relatively new hunter but have been shooting for awhile. Also a fan of Rinella.

Savage is a good brand, but I'd avoid the really cheap budget guns. I'd look at the 111 & 116 series rifles instead. Buy once, cry once, you want something you'll still be happy with 5 years from now. Other brands to consider - Tikka, Weatherby/Howa, Winchester 70, Ruger (77 series).

When I was picking out a rifle, I was torn between the .270 & the .30-06. In my opinion the .270 has a lot of advantages; it's flatter shooting, making it better for longer shots on mule deer and sheep. It will have no problems with black bear, moose, or elk either. Good shots = dead animals with either caliber. However, in the end I went with a Winchester 70 in .30-06, because it meets the minimum energy requirements to hunt bison legally in BC, and because it would be appropriate to hunt grizzly with in the future.

I'd avoid getting a magnum as a first hunting rifle because of the cost of ammo. Getting in enough practice with non-military centerfire calibers is already expensive.
>>
>>31818912
>500 yards
>shooting at animals
>with a mosin

It's so easy to spot the non-hunters on this board when they're giving advice.
>>
>>31819033

.270 is not light for moose at all. .270 is absolutely prime for anything on this continent with hooves.
>>
I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of AR shills in this thread
>>
>>31819437

Can't hunt with an AR in Canada
>>
>OP is considering long range shots in his hunt
BC is a temperate rainforest that frequently features thick old growth forests in the bush. Nice flat open land is usually either private land or BC hydro power lines going through crown land. Often times it is questionable to hunt next to BC hydro lines as the area has a lot of traffic with the occasional hydro workers doing their thing. Even with the BC synopsis and a backroads map, you can never be truly sure if you are on private land or public land. Worst comes to worst, the land owner and/or workers will call the cops on you for tresspassing and hunting on private land without permission. You will get in a lot of shit with the cops if this happens.

Areas in BC that seem to be crown land may just be a part of an Indian Reserve. In this case again you need their permission or else you may get into some problems. Crown land is almost always just long stretches of badly managed unpaved roads that connect into a provincial park, national park, alpine access, etc. You will never ever see animals walk these roads unless you drive around at night. The only practical thing to do is to park in crown land and hike into a high elevation mountain using a road meant for quads. If you have a 4x4 truck and a quad you will find easy success but not everyone is rich enough to have these tools at hand.

When you get up there and walk into the forest (no roads) you'll hardly find 50 meters of line of sight to shoot. If you find a good vantage point, you'll likely find up to 200 meters of clear shooting max. Most animals beyond 200 meters will be in a location almost impossible to traverse, therefore impossible to harvest. Most of your shots will be up close so your rifle should be zeroed to 100 meters or less.

>tl:dr
Don't expect long range shooting.
>>
>>31818640

consider a .45-70 lever action rifle, have to get within 150 meters or so, the round drops like a rock but hits like a truck.
>>
>>31818794

They are. I slapped one on the ass one time, it kicked backward instinctively, but didn't stop munching on the bush it had its attention on. It's hoof missed my face by about an inch.
>>
>>31819501
>BC is a temperate rainforest

Your whole post is wrong.

Do you know how big BC is and how many different biogeoclimatic zones there are?

>massive amounts of alpine
>literally more alpine than you'll get anywhere else
>so much land above treeline, you'll never experience 1/100th of it in your lifetime
>so much sheep and goat hunting
>that dry southern interior
>central grasslands
>huge rolling cutblocks all through that coastal rainforest
>>
Anything chamberd in 10mm will do
>>
>>31819501
Have you even been in BC?
>>
OP here, thanks again for all of your insights and suggestion. First of all...

>>31819501
You must be mildly retarded. I dont know much about hunting but i know bc. As someone who backcountry snowboards, hikes remotely, be it glacier or through mountain range, or flies planes... you are wrong. There is a desert section of BC too...

>>31819362

This is awesome. Just what i was looking for. I have always thought 30-06 was a shotgun? Do you find that it would be too hefty for deer? Also i agree with buy once cry once. I dont care that much about price. I live in the lower mainland where buying anything is a punch to the dick
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.