[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1A/M14 Mags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1582.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1582.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Recently picked up pic related for about $750. Anyone here have experience as to what mags work well? National magazine has some options for inexpensive, but I've heard mixed things about those.

I bought two of the Taiwanese T57 mags off of Keep Shooting. Anyone know which mags are good value for the money? Trying to stay away from Springfield's $60 a mag.
>>
>>31563036
Surplus store in Collierville TN has 20 rounders for $40.
>>
>>31563036
>$750
how the fuck? aren't they twice that new?
>>
>>31564191
I'm curiousabout that too, tell us your secret OP!!
>>
>>31564191
>>31564205

Sorry about this late reply. It was actually a trade. Some guy really wanted this Lone Wolf custom Glock I had, bought it for about $700, $750ish after tax. He evidently had six M1A's and was willing to part with one.

Leopold rifleman scope, scope mount, and cheek riser came with it. About a $1900 trade value. I was lucky, today.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1475621248438.jpg (572KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1475621248438.jpg
572KB, 1536x2048px
>>31564998
To reiterate, I spent $750 on the Glock that he traded for, about six months ago. Another pic, too.
>>
>>31564998
>>31565004

You're so fucking lucky, my dude.

It looks like a Scout without the scout rail. What gives?
>>
Not really a regular here but this thread looks like it could answer.
In the states, how much are ex-service surplus rifles e.g. M1 Garand, M14, M16, et al.?

Is anyone's M14 ITT ex-service?
Ty in advance
>>
>>31565258
Yeah I kept thinking "man this is too good to be true" all the way up until the actual trade happened.

Some people have more money than time I guess, and the man wanted a gun. I lucked out.
>>
>>31565258
It must be the older "bush/scout" model before they started putting the barrel clamp rail on the rifles. This is a great thing to look for since the changes of the M1A being built with M14 parts is much higher with the older pre 2005 models.

>>31563036
CheckMate Industries held the military contract to make M14 mags for the length of the entire EBR program. They are the best mags for the M14/M1A and are around 15-30 dollars depending on where you find them and they range in capacity from 5rds to 25rds.
>>
>>31563742
>/k/ is this fucking stupid

Hey, dickcheese, how about the other 320 something million other americans that don't live in your buttfuck town that don't have access to your surplus store you don't even know the name of
>>
>>31568261
Thanks for the info on the mags. The rifle seems much newer. In the 350,000 serial number range.
>>
>>31568513
lol
>>
>>31566742
Check the barrel, op rod, trigger assembly and bolt for markings. If it has USGI parts you made off like a bandit.

Shit, you made off like a bandit in any case. Good deal.

Also Checkmate mags as mentioned above, I overpaid for mine because CA and getting pinned 10/20s is a pain but I still love em
Surplus USGI mags are available.
Korean mags actually work fine, I was expecting worse and they are a bit tight but they feed ok. I got 6 shorty 10 rounders for $12 each online. PROTIP: buy one or two for prone shooting, but no more. They are a pain in the dick to rock in because you can't get much grip.
>>
>>31565287
> Garand
$600 for a beater that barely works and has worn rifling. 800-1k for a shooter that has little collectors interest but shoots and functions well. 1200-1500 for a really nice one. Some all matching early models go for 2000-3000+, but people routinely try to sell the shitty $600 guns for that at gun shows, even the 50s post-war ones (good shooters but not as collectible).

Most got their parts mixed together after the war, so finding an all original one is rare. But to answer your question generally people pay around 800-1k. Usually it'll be a mismatch WW2 or a 50s production gun, but if it pings and hits shit nobody cares.
>>
>>31565287
> M14
Yes and no. A true surplus M14 costs about $30,000 because it's full auto. The machine gun registry was closed in 1986 making all civilian transferable FAs cost 10x+ their actual value.
That and almost no M14s were surplussed out. By 86 most were given away as war aid or to police departments. Some police guns ended up on the civilian market. Some foreign aid guns were re-imported.

Vast majority were destroyed.

Now that said, the receiver would be cut but the parts were often sold. Springfield and some other manufacturers rebuild rifles with USGI parts on new civilian market receivers. Iown one of those built off an old Harrington and Richardson kit.
>>
>>31568621
My bolt is marked with 7790186-SA with a F00292 below it. Briefly poking around online, can't tell if this is USGI or not. Will check operating rod in a bit.
>>
>>31568815
Oh and an M1a or some other M14gery with USGI parts runs 1-3k depending on who put it together. M14 receivers are complicated and expensive to make, quality ones are forged, cheap ones are cast. There's an enormous price difference between a gun built on a forged LRB receiver vs. a sketchy Federal Ordnance model. I have an FO that hasn't blown up (yet), but I was pretty happy to pay 1k for it.

> M16
All of the nope. Again, a few genuine transferable FAs, very expensive. Some got parted out but again most got sent as war aid. We recently got a fuckheap of A1 parts kits from some SE Asian country. People commonly rebuild "retro" AR15s with such parts. There are also reproduction vintage AR parts made by various manufacturers, so it's totally possible to make a semi auto only functional replica of an M16A1 or an XM177 with no surplus parts at all. Retro builds can be fuckspensive though. It's a niche market.
>>
>>31568547
Oh. I guess he either took the rail off or bought an SKU without one.

My low 100K M1A-A1 Bush is packed with TRW contract M14 parts. I got really lucky and bought it from someone who didn't know the true value of older partskit M1A's.
>>
>>31568945
F00292 means you have a Forged Commercial Springfield Armory Incorporated Bolt
>>
>>31569655
Not that I've heard it matters a TON, but I'm glad it's forged and not cast, at least.

Also evidently you're not supposed to take your M1A completely apart that often, or as little as possible? Anyone fully know why that is?
>>
>>31568963
Do you have a lead on those SE Asian A1 kits? I missed the last one due to Arfcom fudds buying them up withing minutes.

Also Remember Fulton Armory "M14" receivers are cast too. They insist that their receiver is fine and to adheres perfectly to TDP spec with strict QC and advanced casting techniques.

Springfield Armory uses the same casting process but increased the outside dimensions on their receivers, strengthening it in key stress bearing areas to compensate for the perceived inferior casting process.
>>
>>31569747
This is mostly blown out of proportion second and thirdhand rehashed knowledge parroted over the internet from people hearing about match modifications of Garands and M14's.

If you have a GI spec stock with a metal reinforcement liner in the trigger area that means that the rifle wasn't home "accurized" by molding the receiver into bedding compound.

When you bed the receiver to any stock, be it a bolt action rifle or M14, it is not a very good idea to take the stock off because it would disrupt the bedding to the receiver after the compound dries.
>>
>>31569847
help
>>
>>31569797
Do typical M1A owners not clean the gas system and inner workings of their guns? I could imagine just cleaning out the action/chamber/bore would work, I suppose. What you can reach of them, anyway.
>>
>>31570043
Not really. Watch or read any old Military film about M14 maintenance and it goes over what you are expected to do, they include separating the stock from the receiver.

You can actually access the short stroke piston/gas chamber from the outside if you really don't want to take the receiver off the stock, then you can boresnake the barrel from the chamber to the muzzle and lube the receiver from the outside easily. It can be done.
>>
>>31568261
>It must be the older "bush/scout" model

Apparently, you can also just slap the normal dust cover on, too.
>>
>>31570146
Yeah, after unscrewing the 1/2 lb scout rail. Glad I got rid of that dead weight.
>>
>>31570123

The inside of the gun that was given to me is absolutely slathered in a thick petroleum jelly like substance. I'm going to have to pull it apart soon to clean all that shit out.

Anyone know the rough price on getting a rifle re-bedded?
>>
>>31570285
Oh god you took off a bedded stock from the receiver?
You can probably very carefully put it back in the stock and not fuck anything up if you didn't disrupt the compound fit too much.
Be careful.

That was probably grease inside the receiver, perfectly fine and actually recommended for the M14, specifically when they stay inside a stock like that for a long term people prefer to slather the internals with grease.

You have a custom match modified bedded M14, better learn the intricacies quick because you went in balls deep with that purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDC83t3Co48
>>
>>31570383
Unfortunately so. Most of my experience is with AR's and slavshit guns, none of which were bedded. I suppose I can get it redone worst case scenario, but I literally just popped it off and put it back on during disassembly.

Not so much bought as traded a Glock for, but I get what you mean. Out of my 10 or so guns, this is the only one I've picked up that could be readily considered a "precision rifle".
>>
>>31570447
If it popped back in easily and looks/feels tight you probably got away with it.

Watch some videos on tonyben's youtube channel I posted earlier, this guy is pretty much an M14 armorer and expert.

From now on you should clean the barrel with a boresnake upside down to keep solvent/oil out of the gas system and clean the piston/gas system from the outside.

Everything else maintenance wise is external anyway.
>>
>>31570499
I just checked, receiver doesn't wiggle an inch. Hopefully I got away with it, if not, it was my own dumbass mistake.

Thanks for the help. Never realized how unique these rifles were until I lucked out and happened across one.
>>
>>31570585
Out of all the battle rifles I own, my favorite battle rifle is my Scout length M1A. This comes from someone who owns both a Imbel FAL and HK91.
>>
>>31565004
sexy rifle anon.
>>
The M1A has the weirdest mag rock in I've ever seen. It goes in at like a 70 degree angle lol
>>
>>31573196
You can actually shove it in but then you need to fight the operating spring rod.
>>
>>31572472
Thanks, anon. Fell in love at first sight.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.