[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would an antimatter weapon work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: planet.jpg (76KB, 335x525px) Image search: [Google]
planet.jpg
76KB, 335x525px
How would an antimatter weapon work?
>>
>how would something that doesn't exist work, /k/?
>>
File: 1474177737246.jpg (17KB, 238x217px) Image search: [Google]
1474177737246.jpg
17KB, 238x217px
>>31539537

>doesn't exist

>we're already producing it
>>
>>31539327

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, my dude.

Hypothetically speaking you could have some sort of giant railgun that fires a projectile with such obscene amounts of energy such that anything it impacts would be practically vaporized but that still doesn't make that matter go away.
>>
>>31539591

>Matter cannot be destroyed

No but it can be transformed into energy

Man why are /k/tards so fucking scientifically inept?
>>
>>31539552
didn't you hear gook moot, 4chan is fucking broke, we're about to go tits up. If he doesn't get $50,000,000 by the end of October he's pulling the plug.
>>
>>31539607
>/k/tard

Back to >>>/b/ for remedial training.
>>
>>31539647

Nah, /b/ is getting a tad old for me.
>>
>>31539663
Did you turn 16?
>>
>>31539700

Yes i did 6 years ago.
>>
File: 1475467767355.jpg (30KB, 610x339px) Image search: [Google]
1475467767355.jpg
30KB, 610x339px
>>31539327

OP, anti-matter can't exist here on eart under almost any circumstances. Its like our matter, but inverse.

it has a negative and neutral sub-atomic particles in the nucleus, and positive ones in the electron cloud.

If matter and anti-matter were to ever meet, it would result in nuclear explosions. So you would have to have a way to contain matter away from the anti-matter in order to have it be any sort of weapon of use to you.
>>
>>31540427

>Antimatter can't exist on earth outside labs

Well of FUCKING COURSE I KNEW THAT, dipshit!

What do you take me for, an idiot?!

I'll contain matter and antimatter with electromagnets like the labs do. All i'd have to do when i wanted a detonation would slam it into the wall of the holding chamber and BOOM!
>>
all antimatter we have is stored via magnetic levitation in a vacuum, so it doesn't annihilate itself
if you wanted to incorporate it into a projectile, said projectile would have to have an extremely miniaturized version of that containment setup
>>
>>31539327
A vacuum tube holding the antimatter in place with magnetic force shot out of a barrel with some sort of gas pressure to propel it towards a target for explosions? Fuck if I know nigger I'm not a fucking scientist.
>>
>>31540573

>gas pressure

>not using railguns

Fucking pleb
>>
>>31539327
It makes people think matter doesn't matter anymore. For example, a group called Black Lives (Matter) would be Black Lives Anti-matter or simply Black Lives Don't Matter. Unfortunately, a weapon such as this is only science fiction, and doesn't exist.
>>
You would have to tailor it to your target, use magnets to propel and isolate it. Antihydrogen would probably be the best choice, but it would probably be too risky to use
>>
>>31540588
>using magnetic energy to propel a projectile containing a payload that's held in place with magnetic energy that will detonate if it touches anything solid
>wanting the antimatter to explode inside your gun the instant the rails kick on because the rails magnets throw the containers magnets out of wack

GG nigger
>>
>>31540573
>gas pressure
>gas
>made of matter particles
>that then impact the anti-matter

This is going to cause an explosion all right, but no at the target.

You'd have to suspend it in a vacuum tube and launch a projectile/bomb at them with the tube inside of it, which is then broken so the anti-matter touches matter.
>>
>>31540641

If you tune the railgun you can probably have the magnetic fields not intersect
>>
File: ryanbundy.jpg (49KB, 444x424px) Image search: [Google]
ryanbundy.jpg
49KB, 444x424px
>>31540654
If ya fun goofed ya dun goofed
>>
File: 1474832475902.jpg (193KB, 600x739px) Image search: [Google]
1474832475902.jpg
193KB, 600x739px
>>31539327
A piece of antimatter would be held stable in a vacuum chamber by a very strong magnetic field. When you want it to go boom you collapse the magnetic field and stand well back.
>>
>>31540427
The good and bad thing about this is that this annihilation only occurs when individual particles collide with each other, something which is very unlikely to happen with neutrally charged particles, or at least it would happen slowly, creating more of a molten ball of slag rather than one big explosions.

I would imagine that a hypothetical antimatter weapon would have to be some sort of set up that charged an matter and its anti equivalent at the same time so they could collide with eachother. Assuming you could do this will keeping the setup safe and stable, how could you prevent the reaction from destroying the triggering mechanism or scattering the rest of the payload before a reaction takes place? This is the sort of problem I have been thinking about for worldbuilding and it seems apparent that antimatter tech makes for better engines than it does warheads.
>>
This is totally unrelated but does anyone have a pic of spongebob in a 10gallon hat saying something like
>i only want to fuck guns and anime girls and if you have a problem you can hit me with that unfriend button
>>
>>31540654
They would interact no matter what, but a number of magnetic fields could be easily arranged to act as a buffer for the fields actually holding the antimatter in place
>>
>>31539327

Bryan Young covers it pretty well here

http://www.scifights.net/antimatter.mp4
>>
File: 146837862244.jpg (185KB, 1440x1420px) Image search: [Google]
146837862244.jpg
185KB, 1440x1420px
>>31541992
go away you useless piece of shit
>>
>>31539724
you need to be 25 to post here kid :^)
>>
>>31539327

Well, it wouldn't matter, obviously.
>>
>>31544384
kek
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.