[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to innawoods without food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

I'm thinking about taking a long trip through the woods/mountains for about 150 miles, so I'm thinking about 3-4 weeks.

Is hunting my only option for food? I would need something like 100k calories worth of food total at 3k cals per day, so it seems it wouldn't be possible to carry that much.

What's the best way to hunt for food in a situation like that. Killing a deer/elk is a waste because I'd eat 1 lb of it and then continue my hike and waste the rest. Fishing seems good, but I don't think I can fish 3k cals a day.
>>
>>31537270
I hope you get lost and die.

Also, what is >>>/out/
>>
>>31537270
I'd learn trapping if I were you. Birds, small mammals, bugs and fish (look up primitive fish trap in particular)
>>
fishing takes a while, but I know salmon is good

rabbit and squirrels both are small and easy enough to catch, but I don't like the taste of squirrel and there aren't many rabbits where I live. birds are always a good option too.
>>
>>31537270
Rabbit starvation.

If all you eat is wild game you will get protein poisoning and die because wild game doesnt contain enough fats, carbs, or calories.
>>
I don't know where you live, but you aren't going to be able to make that.

I did a course with a 5 day survival phase and we just got hungry as fuck despite spending every reasonable moment trying to hunt and not have to walk anywhere like you have to. To be fair we only had one knife between seven of us, so if you bring a gun it will be a lot easier.

Prepping and cooking game takes a while too.

Also, this: >>31537386
You need carbohydrates.
>>
>>31537386
Basically only an issue if you don't Eat the bones and organs.
>>
>>31537455
Olympic peninsula, Washington state. I can bring a gun, but I think the park doesn't allow hunting and about half of the trip will be through the park (it does allow fishing).

>>31537356
Set a trap before sleeping, then have food when I wake up? Could work. Will need to see if trapping equipment is light enough to carry.

>>31537318
>>31537477
>>31537386
Good to know.
>>
>>31537318
mostly this because it's a bait thread.
minimal info as to when/where/time out (21-28 days) experience level both hunting/fishing and outdoor.
bait
has never heard of food caches
>>
>>31537584
>bait
also photo of sherpa schlepping supplies up world class mountain.
>>
Would I die if I just ate 50 lbs of clif bars and took a multivitamin every day for the trip?
>>
>>31537675
I think you would die if you ate 50lbs of any food during a 24 hour period. In all seriousness though, Clif bar and multivitamin combo is nutritionally deficient; Clif bars are mainly sugars and carbohydrates, and I'm suspicious of any claims made by multi-vitamins (as a multi-vitamin is a SUPPLEMENT). You'll probably be fine for maybe a week or two, but after that some nutritional deficiencies may start to show themselves.
>>
>>31537270
your gonna die. GL trying to catch that much food a day. Have shit mailed or set up to you like on the AT
>>
File: chamas.jpg (330KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
chamas.jpg
330KB, 2400x1800px
Have you done weekend trips, week long drips with extended durations without the travel aspect ?

What outdoor experience do you have?

Have you experience trapping, stalking, hunting and foraging?

What part of the world will you be operating in?

What is your body composition?

This is surely bait, you need a few thousand callories if you will be working in distressing conditions, more if you will be exerting yourself continuously, even more if you expect scarcity to be a problem.
>>
>>31537524
You are going to die.
>>
>>31538798
>pic
...why?
>>
>>31537270
>so it seems it wouldn't be possible to carry that much.
eat it ahead of time.
>>
>>31537270
Hunger won't kill you, literally just eat 30 burgers (read: patties) a week for a month and take a dozen emergency ration bars with you.
>>
>>31537386
>If all you eat is wild game you will get protein poisoning and die because wild game doesnt contain enough fats, carbs, or calories.
Gosh by golly, I sure do wish I had 0% body fat...
>>
File: Opisfaggot.jpg (337KB, 1312x954px) Image search: [Google]
Opisfaggot.jpg
337KB, 1312x954px
So much this. >>31537318

kys pls pls kys pls pls kys
>>
Consider packing MREs, dry food, canned food, whatever. You don't seem like you are ready.
>>
>>31537270
The amount of time you'd spend gathering and hunting for food would leave you with no time whatsoever to continue your hike.
Even more so since you seem to have no experience in doing so (or you wouldn't be asking).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.