[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is wrong with cotton?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

So many people here hate cotton for SHTF situations. Why? It's comfortable, quiet, washable, and warm when dry. The only downside is that they're wet and cold when wet. What are some cotton alternatives that aren't shit?
>>
Heavy and cold when wet**** (OP here)
>>
>>31491821
This only downside can kill you
>>
Wool/synthetic wools are pretty good. Wool socks (at least high quality ones) are breathable, stay warm when wet, and will last for a long time.
>>
it's bad in wet environments because of the possibility of getting wet, and it's bad in hot environments because sweat

polymers/synthetic materials are usually considered the best, and there's not really any reason to use cotton unless it's all you have

i guess silk is okay too but it's not very durable
>>
Nothing is wrong with it if you understand it's limitations.

It's a fine material for warm areas of th world where it never dips below 50f

It's just tryhards will say you'll die if you take a dip in the pond on a summer day.
>>
>>>/out/
>>>/fa/
>>
>>31491821
The downside is that it gets heavy and cold when wet. If you're doing any sort of outdoorsy shit you need wool/synthetic clothes. I try for wool, for maximum coziness
>>
>>31491821
I hike weekly, sometimes 3-4 times a week in jeans and a tshirt, sweater if it's below 40/ raining and have been fine. People shit on it because they spend 100s of dollars on chink made "outdoor" apparel and want to feel like they're knowledgeable. Meanwhile cowboys drove cattle from Canada to Mexico wearing button up shirts and blankets as jackets. YMMV
>>
>>31492173
Thanks anon. My great grandfather was a badass motherfucker who worked as a cattle driver in the summer and a carpenter in winter. he owned long johns (cotton), button up shirts (cotton), and t-shirts (cotton). I think many of these anons don't understand the concept of layering with a weather-proof shell on the outside. Drying your clothes is also an option.
>>
shirou pls
>>
>>31492173
>>31492317
I were cotton when I go hiking, but you're talking about preparing for a SHTF scenario. If you want to be as prepared as possible and you're fine with spending money, then why would you use cotton? OP made a thread about how cotton isn't bad except for getting wet, but then you say that you should use cotton because why spend money for a better product. Drying your clothes isn't an option, because it dries slowly. That's the whole reason behind people disliking cotton.
>>
File: 0829161646.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
0829161646.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>31491821
What I am more curious about is why Multicam Cotton was a thing But secretly I am glad it exists.
I would want cotton for desert Climates personally OP if its about to rain just slap on a OPSEC multicam rain poncho and if it gets cold just use a level 2 under shirt and long johns to prevent sweating to death simple.
>>
>>31491875

Does this mean my cotton duck sherpa lined Carhartt jacket will kill me if it gets wet?
>>
>>31492941
Cotton duck, is kind of an oddball in my opinion. it's fairly water resistant, so does well as an outer layer, but if it gets enough exposure, like a fall into a creek for example, it's not going to help any. Personally I like to waterproof my cotton duck jackets, and I always wear wool or synthetic base layers if it's cold enough to be wearing a jacket that heavy.
>>
>>31492173
>Meanwhile cowboys drove cattle from Canada to Mexico wearing button up shirts and blankets as jackets. YMMV
Wool and linen. Cotton absorbs a shit ton of water, gets really heavy and clingy which draws off body heat, and takes forever to dry. They say "cotton kills" for good reason.
>>
>>31491821
COTTON IS THE DEVIL
ENJOY YOUR FUCKING FUNGUS AND BLISTERS
>>
File: 1449811226549.jpg (695KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1449811226549.jpg
695KB, 2048x1536px
>>31491821
Get soaked in cotton and see how you like it. Completely traps moisture and takes forever to dry.

There's a reason why the saying goes "cotton kills".
>>31492173
>Meanwhile cowboys drove cattle from Canada to Mexico wearing button up shirts and blankets as jackets. YMMV

Your point is? It's 2016. Things like arcteryx and dryfit exist. Get with the times, it's fine to say you don't need to spend money on outdoor clothing but shitting on someone for wanting something nicer and up to date is complete faggotry.

Oh well, better tell these fags in pic that soldiers during WW1 wore steel pot helmets, unbreathable heavy cotton uniforms and leather boots. What a bunch of pussies and their crye.
>>
I wear cotton when working outside because having a coldass wet sponge clinging to your body is a lifesaver when you're prone to heat exhaustion.
>>
>>31491821
i have gone completely away from cotton for both hot and cold environments. I do poly blends for just about all casual wear and merino wool for socks, baselayers, and underwear. Completely changed my life
>>
>>31491821
Go to the gym wearing cotton clothes snd work out for three hours and then continue to wear that clothes for day...pleasant...yes?
>>
File: 1456372523040.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1456372523040.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>Ah yes, I would like the cheapest material possible for my shtf situation. What's that? If I fall in any body of water or sweat too hard it'll get heavy and freeze to my body? It's also flammable as shit? It's not very durable and mostly used for casual clothing? Nonesense.

Cotton is rotten.
>>
I'd like to add that cotton is one of the most polluting crops in the world and that, even if it weren't crap for all the reasons already mentioned, you probably shouldn't support that industry if you can help it.
>>
>>31496215

Dude, get yourself some woolen mittens that still have the lanolin. Thank me later.
>>
>>31491821
Despite all of our high tech mighty shit we have today, products made from animals are still the best for heat retention, water repelling/proofing andresistantto fire like wool and treated leather.
>>
>>31496270
Leather's the best windbreaking material, too.
>>
>>31496270
Thanks for the information. So that's why all our astronauts, firefighters, divers, etc. use simple natural leather jackets.
>>
>>31496353
Don't forget football players
>>
>>31496237
Synthetics smell way worse after just lying around the house all day.
>>
>>31496237
>>31496243
>Waking up in a giant, cold pool of sweat
Fucking cotton sheets, never again. Hasn't happened once since I switched to Modal.
>>
>>31496415
Learn how to wash your clothes you pig.
>>
>>31496243
>flammable as shit?

but thats wrong
>>
>>31491926
>it's bad in hot environments because sweat
No, it's GOOD in hot environments because sweat. Cotton helps keep you cool. That's why it's bad in cold environments. Most people hunt in the winter, hence the folk wisdom "cotton kills."
>>
You can turn a cotton tshirt into char cloth.

multipurpose clothing right there
>>
>>31497084
No, it's not. To stay cool, you want evaporative cooling to occur. Staying wet would not only be uncomfortable, it would be the equivalent of sweat not working. Also, chaffing.
>>
File: 1475117255872.png (67KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1475117255872.png
67KB, 230x230px
>>31496518

>not using black latex sheets at all times
>>
>>31497084
Cotton keeps you cool through a combination evaporation and conduction. Water readily evaporates from wet cotton, drawing heat from your body because wet cotton and your body are both much better thermal conductors than air. Staying wet in cotton is very comfortable. If I'm near a water supply, I constantly re-wet my clothing.

I should add that I'm talking hot desert environments. YMMV in a swamp.
>>
>>31497084
>hence the folk wisdom "cotton kills."
>folk wisdom
http://gizmodo.com/why-cotton-kills-a-technical-explanation-1688286083
>>
>>31497556
>I should add that I'm talking hot desert environments.
Literally anywhere else cotton is an uncomfortable, chafing mess, and you'd be far better off with a moisture wicking material than wet cotton.
>>
>>31492173
>there are actually better product and development in outdoor clothing and materials, but I will say no to all of that because someone in the past had to make due with what they had or thought they had. This proves my worth!

I am more than sure if you went back in time and spread the knowledge and product, people outside of those who stubbornly stick with tradition, will trip over themselves to get what is better.
>>
>>31491821
Cotton kills.
>>
>>31491926
>polymers/synthetic
Have fun pealing the multen plastic out of your flesh if so much as an ember touches that shit.

Cotton all day every day. Rather be wet than wear cloths that promotes staying on fire, and readily melts.
>>
Do you americans not know what merinowool is?
>>
>>31498832
Yes but expense + limited use in workplace/town activities limit it to outdoor use. Campers, hunters, military and related folk tend to use it more
>>
Cotton is still much better than the garbage that is called polyester
>>
yes, you will die of hypo and hyperthermia at the same time if you wear cis scum cotton, even if it's °76 out

likewise, if it starts to mist outside you're fucked kid, your shirt will swell to the size of an average american houswife and your legs will snap from the strain of that nasty ol cotton.

You're a no nothing bitch if you think you can survive without this deluth 95 cotton wool blend onesie that's only $199.99.
>>
>>31499060
>People still this stupid even though it's well-known that cotton causes hypothermia deaths

https://www.usamilitarymedals.com/products/coyote-brown-t-shirts-soffee-brand-3-pack
>>
>>31496130
>leather boots
I wear these too btw. Also no one gives a shit about the guys in your pic or what they do has nothing to do with what's being discussed.

>>31497724
What is it with you guys and going back in time? I do that shit right now and guess what EVERYONE wears? The only snowflake trash I've seen is whatever Resistol applies to their felt hats.

Haven't died from cotton yet nor have my associates. It's almost have if people who work outside know what they're talking about not numales in the cubicle.
>>
>>31499182
>people are still this stupid when it's well known that improper layering causes hypothermia deaths

Not even shotgun mouthwash can cure ya, bud.
>>
>>31499182

all these up north faggots. synthetics in florida are uncomfortable as fuck its like wearing a garbage bag. cotton and wool, ftw.
>>
>>31499226
>Hey, it's a really nice day, just a t-shirt will be fine
>Rains unexpectedly
>fall in creek
>Soaked cotton shirt causes you to start losing heat faster than your body can compensate
>Clings tightly, ensuring good skin-water-air transfer

>>31499292
>Florida
The Wang state is the exception, not the rule. Up here in Minnesota where we actually have weather you can die from fucking up your clothing. In all seasons.

>Cowboys wore X!
They mostly wore non-cotton fabrics unless they had to because they were broke.
>>
>>31499433
>Hey, it's a really nice day, just a t-shirt will be fine
>Rains unexpectedly
>it's still fucking hot out.
>somehow falls into a creek, it's fucking dumb but we gotta cater to a naritive somehow. ISIS shows up too.
>it's ok though, just ring out the fucking shirt like an intelligent human being
>takes a bit of time, but body heat dries it out
>if you die, you can take comfort in the fact that you were dead anyway because you were a dipshit that would have died anyway if you brought a wool T shirt, because real life isn't an RPG.
>carry on with life
>>
>>31496130
Dont you dare disrespect leather boots nigger. Every issue with a soldier's knee back and foot are caused by the dog shit boots now drafted to the armed forces
>>
>>31491821
Cotton is rotten, wool is cool
>>
>>31499433
>They mostly wore non-cotton fabrics unless they had to because they were broke.
So basically every single one? They all wore cotton and still do. Nothing you say will change this fact.
>>
>WAH WAH COTTON CAN GET WET

Why not wear a coat?
>>
So what happens when you mix synthetic and cotton? Put sweat-absorbing stuff on first, then cotton on top of it?
>>
>>31499499
Except historically they wore linsey-wooley, linen/flannel, wool, or some combination.
>>
>>31496934
http://www.wood.army.mil/engrmag/PDFs%20for%20Oct-Dec%2003/safety.pdf
>>
>>31499887
Incorrect.
>>
>>31499593
Leviticus says you go to hell
>>
File: 1369100521991.png (261KB, 428x705px) Image search: [Google]
1369100521991.png
261KB, 428x705px
>>31500336
Organized religion is so fucking retarded.
>>
>>31500275
>durr yurr wrung butt I cent beck it ep
>>
>>31497084
>work all day inna 120~ degree refinery
>wearing cotton long sleeve because it's just like Muh cowboy cartoons
>sweat never evaporates
>cone home with a full body diaper rash
>>
>>31500437
>work all day inna 120~ degree refinery
>wearing cotton longsleve
>sweat evaporates but since it's 120 fucking degrees more just keeps coming
>come home better than if i were wearing wool
>>
>>31499516
Have you been in the rain for more than 15 minutes? Or hiked or done other physical activity when it's raining? Even with a good hard shell, sweat combined with humidity and wicking will eventually get your base/mid layers damp regardless.
>>
>>31500453
No I'm telling this from experience, it doesn't keep you any cooler, you just get a fucking rash. Cotton works alright if you can't afford anything but you have to bring about 3 changes of underwear and shirts a day if you want to wear that
>>
>>31499433
GA here and can confirm Floridabro's statements concerning cotton and wool.

You can actually die here from heat exhaustion. Cotton is a life saver in the summer. Synthetics (apart from the thinnest athletic wear) are just not breathable enough. If you venture innawoods, briars will fuck that shit (and you) up in an instant. Cotton has it's place. It's summer in the south. You faggots will never understand. Obviously you don't wear cotton up north (or out west) in the winter though. What kind of retard does that?
>>
>>31500552
East Texas here, also confirm. 110 and 100% Humidity is fucking deadly.
>>
>>31500390
>Arguing with an actual cowboy on what we wear.
KEK!
>>
>>31500336
I thought that's just what the Jew rabbi priests had to do... Oh whatever...context shmontext.
>>
>>31498787
Which occurs more often, getting soaked in water or getting engulfed in flames?
>>
>>31496130
WWI soldiers wore wool (low quality wool with viscose blended at times). Leather boots are still a good option in temperate climate, arguably better (longer-living) than goretex. I agree with the rest, just pointing that out.

>>31492317
Your great grandpa wore cotton in the summer and could go inside after he was done in winter. Your point?
>>31494019
>>31499433
>>31492173
>>31499499
>>31499887
>>31500275
>>31500390
>>31500624
Sources or GTFO.

Either way, cowboys had
-wool blankets
-wool winter coats when needed
-fire at night
-horses to keep warm in a pinch
-companions to take care/light fire/etc. when one guy started going into hypothermia
-knowledge and experience what kind of weather to expect
>>
>>31501141
>Sources or GTFO.
Want me to take a picture of my shirt? Better yet, read the label on your jeans.

>-horses to keep warm in a pinch
Zero horse experience detected.
>-knowledge and experience what kind of weather to expect
No prairie experience detected.
>>
>>31500616
Eastex bro here aswell.

Everytime I've put myself in the ground from heat exhaustion has been while I was wearing some synthetic shit, With a cotton shirt I might go home with an uncomfortable as fuck rash but at least I'm working cool.
>>
>>31501289
>He doesn't cuddle with his horse
>>
>>31497682
>arguing with me by citing an article that says exactly what I just said
>>
>>31501289
http://wildwesthistory.blogspot.de/2011/08/properly-dressed-cowboy.html
>In the mid to late 1800s, cowboy attire was a mix of the second-hand wool pants and military uniforms from the American Civil War. [...]They wore heavy, gray Confederate army coats, which served them well in winter blizzards.

http://gunsoftheoldwest.com/2014/11/frontier-trousers/
>Actually, at this time wool was considered the best for the rigors of cowboying and hard saddle wear, and wool trousers could be had in a vast assortment of colors and patterns, with brown and black being the most sought after.
>>
>>31501438
It literally tells you in that article that they transitioned to blue jeans. Did you even read it?

Feel free to arbitrarily restrict the discussion to periods before jeans even existed though.
>>
>>31501481
You mean, they transitioned to cotton when free ranging herds declined and cowboys could sleep in their own warm homes? I wonder why that was.
>>
>>31501481
>Cowboys wearing blue jeans
What is this, a Western sponsored by Levi? Get out of here.
>>
>>31501141
>Leather boots are still a good option in temperate climate, arguably better (longer-living) than goretex.

GoreTex is used as a liner inside leather boots, not as the structure of the boots.

Leather + GoreTex >>> Leather

There is no reason nowadays to NOT have leather boots with a GoreTex liner.
>>
>>31501899
Pure Leather boots are plenty waterproof on their own - if the leather is good quality, thick, well treated and not made up of a fucking patchwork of stitches. Lining bad leather with goretex works for a while, but goretex breaks down pretty fast. And so does the leather that you can't treat with fat because that clogs the membrane. I'm not even talking about breathability; goretex under porous leather is breathable strictly speaking, but not very much after those two barriers. The goretex also hinders the one kind of "breathing" that leather boots do well, that is the absorption and puffering of moisture in the leather (until dried at a later point).
Pure leather is alright. Leather with non-goretex synthetic lining is godlike. Leather with goretex is a ploy to make shoes out of cheap leather and still be "waterproof".
>>
>>31496317
Plywood breaks mad wind too but I'm not cobbling up a 40lb jacket because it'll break the wind. It's only a good windbreaker because it's so thick. Regular swishy style windbreaker are fine thank you
>>
>>31501700
Yet your article states they didn't wear it as it was associated with urbanites who adopted the trend more rapidly and they eventually capitulated and went to the more practical and cheaper denim. I wonder why that was?

>>31501817
>COWBOYS NEVER WORE JEANS!! REEEEE

You're still wrong.
>>
>>31491821
COTTON IS ROTTEN
>>
>>31501817
Levi and Strauss have been making jeans since 1873.
>>
>>31503246
And cotton is still a shit fabric
>>
>>31503262
and you're a keyboard outdoorsman.
>>
>>31503186
The fact that urbanites adopted cotton before cowboys actually just underlines my point.
>>
>>31503319
What about the fact that Levi's were designed for miners panning for gold in the Sierras? It's hard to keep up on why you think it's shit beyond being incorrect about cowboys wearing it.
>>
>>31503410
Goodness. The point of this thread was about how cotton sucks for extended outdoor activities because it gets cold when wet. You keep bringing up people using cotton and I keep pointing out how these usually also use wool and generally use cotton the more they can get warm through other means (houses, stationary camps etc.) and the less they need to spend long times outdoors. Cowboys were one example were some guy said, I quote
>cowboys drove cattle from Canada to Mexico wearing button up shirts and blankets as jackets
and I pointed out how those that actually did these things wore wool on top or sometimes instead of their cotton.
>>
>>31501289
This. Anywhere on the plains or in the mountains has the most unpredictable weather. One minute it's sunny and 80, next it's raining and 40. No fucking way to know.
>>
>>31491821
cotton kills
>>
>>31491821
It is a material and it will work fine, but other fabric will give more warmth, dry faster and not absorb so much water. Just make smart choices for your gear when you go out. If you expect rain bring rain gear, if it's gonna be cold layer. Nobody bitches about the guy who gave you his extra blanket, but the guy who didn't bring a blanket will always bitch.
>>
>>31491837
>cold when wet
this can be a plus in summer though.

now, having said that i still would choose wool/synthetics for almost any situation over cotton.
>>
File: ALTAMA-GTX-C3-BROWN-01.jpg (97KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
ALTAMA-GTX-C3-BROWN-01.jpg
97KB, 1200x795px
>>31502665
> Pure Leather boots are plenty waterproof on their own

Leather is not waterPROOF, it is only water RESISTANT and will eventually get soaked no matter how well you rubbed those boots with mink oil or whatnot and once that happens, you’ve got wet feet.

GoreTex on the the other hand, is waterproof and no matter how wet the leather boots get, your feet will stay dry.

> if the leather is good quality, thick, well treated and not made up of a fucking patchwork of stitches.

Unless we’re talking about extruded rubber boots, ALL boots are made from several pieces of material stitched together.

> Lining bad leather with goretex works for a while, but goretex breaks down pretty fast.

Nonsense, I’ve got a Cabela’s GoreText shell parka and pants that are pushing 20 years and I’ve also got a pair of Sportsman’s Guide leather and GoreTex boots that are almost as old and both still keep me 100% dry to this day.

> The goretex also hinders the one kind of "breathing" that leather boots do well, that is the absorption and puffering of moisture in the leather (until dried at a later point).

No it doesn’t, the entire point of GoreTex is that it’s breathable (from the inside out).

> Leather with goretex is a ploy to make shoes out of cheap leather and still be "waterproof".

How are those buggy whip investments doing for you?…

There is no reason to not own GoreTex or similar waterproof-breathable boots and other gear, (they even make fashionable shoes/boots with GoreTex; pic related) especially when we’re talking about SHTF survival boots.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.