[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1470352719149.jpg (96KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
1470352719149.jpg
96KB, 880x660px
Any tips on getting better at hiking /K/ ? I tried asking /out/ but It was filled with autists
>Herr derr if you don't pack at least 200lbs and hike 50 miles you're a fag
>>
>>30981905
use trekking poles
Take camp shoes/sandals
Stretch and stay limber
Don't ignore pain
Keep pack weight as light as possible
Stay hydrated
Good boots
With ankle support if carrying heavy pack
>>
>>30981905
/k/ " the original /out/"
>>
>>30981905
>>>/out/
>>
Not OP, (to keep the thread /k/ related) what do you guys carry for hiking or backpacking?
>>
Wear GOOD boots, bring a lot of water and electrolytes, wear a hat, bring bug repellant, and carry a 10mm or .357 minimum

Just some very basic, but essential tips
>>
>>30982007

Mmm, sometimes you gotta ignore the pain
>>
>>30982040
Glock 20 and an extra mag, both loaded with lehigh defense extreme penetrators
>>
Bring three pairs of good, thick socks bare minimum.
Wear a hat to keep the sun off your head and out of your eyes.
Jeans are awful for hiking. Cheap surplus BDU pants are vastly superior, as are purpose made innawoods clothes.
If you carry a gun, make it .357 Magnum, 10mm, or better. 9mm is in no way powerful enough for mountain lions unless you have a full auto SMG.
Reverse osmosis filter bags are a cheap, light way to get really clean water in the woods, but avoid scummy water anyways. GI infections will ruin your whole week.
BREAK YOUR FUCKING BOOTS IN BEFORE HIKING.
>>
File: Vice_talks_guns.png (3MB, 1893x767px)
Vice_talks_guns.png
3MB, 1893x767px
>Pack light. Ounces add up quickly when hiking.
>Wear the best boots you can afford. Keep care of your feet, and you'll have a better time.
>stay hydrated. Remember to bring a way to purify water. Drink from cold, fast moving sources. Map out where you are going, and GPS water sources. Which leads to...
>Bring a GPS and map. Know your terrain. Know where the nearest roads, fire stations, and ranger stations are. Mark them on your maps.
>Dress appropriately. If it gets cold at night, put a light weight jacket in your pack just in case you get lost. Those poofy down thermal jackets are the tits. Wear thick mountaineering socks.
>respect wildlife. Understand that you are not on the top of the food chain while in the wild. I carry bear spray for four legged critters, and a G19 for two legged critters. Never put yourself in a situation that may endanger yourself. This may sound obvious, but I've heard too many stories of retards trying to get selfies with bears and moose. Don't be the next faggot to appear on the local news because you didn't use your enlarged lopsided head.
>keep the sun off you you. Wear/have bug repellent.

That's off the top of my head. Earlier replies, like >>30982097, >>30982007 and >>30982054 have good advice too.
>>
Is the molle II pack a good system?

Are there any better large packs that come in woodland? I have an existing frame but I'd like to lash a better pack on it.
>>
File: dealwithit.gif (2MB, 320x454px)
dealwithit.gif
2MB, 320x454px
>>30981905
Download "Selected" e-book and follow the rucking plan.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 682x382px)
image.jpg
31KB, 682x382px
>>30982040
I carry my sheild 9 tho I realize it wouldn't be optimal for black bear or mountain lion.

I've always wanted a S&W R8 specifically for camping backpacking.
>>
File: derpling.jpg (7KB, 229x220px)
derpling.jpg
7KB, 229x220px
>>30981905
uh.....
go hiking more
>>
Avoid the poles
>>
>>30982720
Everyone I've introduced trekking poles to refuse to hike without them anymore, sure they look stupid, but who cares
>>
>>30981905
>better at hiking

I suggest you do more hiking.
>>
>>30982056
and then injure yourself and have to call S&R
great plan!
>>
>>30981905
I use a USGI H-harness and alice belt. I get the weirdest looks, but I'm using it all for what it was meant for.

get a decent set of hikinh shoes/boots. The better the sole, the better.

Remember to carry water. See H-harness above.

ALWAYS have a hat (boonies are nice), and remember DEET and sunscreen.

Avoid heavy packs if you can afford it.
>>
>>30981905

Take a hike, faggot.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.