[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Restoring an old as kukri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Picture 20.jpg (2MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 20.jpg
2MB, 5168x2907px
I bought this kukri at a big ass flea market. Pretty cheap considering the condition.
It's rusty and the leather on the sheath is stiff and dry as fuck.
I wanna deal with the rust, restore the leather and otherwise make it as shiny as possible.

What do I do?
What am I gonna need?

Will post more pics.
>>
File: Picture 17.jpg (2MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 17.jpg
2MB, 5168x2907px
>>
It's not that old
>>
this for the blade
>>
>>29517285
I hate how the kukri lacks the handguard because I rather keep my fingers and not end up cutting my own hands by accident if the grip gets wet from the rain and my grip slips onto the blade
>>
File: Picture 18.jpg (2MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 18.jpg
2MB, 5168x2907px
>>
>>29517644
This are there any kukri that actually has a handguard?

Also what exactly makes a kukri better than a regular machete?
>>
Start with some naval jelly and see how that works.

If there's still rust left on the blade, I would just sand it off.
>>
>>29517752

Meme magic
>>
>>29517285
Leave it out in the rain and leave it in the storm shelter for several weeks and let the rust build up all over it then once that happens make sure to start hard brush away the surface rust over it and once you got all the rust cleaned off you will now have a nice serial killer weapon for your rapist and murderous fantasy
>>
>>29517826
Antman please leave
>>
>>29517838
What rhe fuck does a stupid liberal movie have to do with this weapons board?

Take that shit to >>>/tv/
>>
Recondition leather with a good leather conditioner.

Use electrolysis to remove rust.
1. Dissolve 1 tablespoon baking soda per gallon of water in a bucket
2. Get a larger sacrificial piece of steel, put it in the bucket
3. Connect the positive lead of a battery charger to the sacrificial steel
4. Negative lead clips to your Kukri
5. Leave for a day, watch the bubbles
6. Wipe down Kukri with Scotchbrite pad after disconnecting power.
>>
>>29517752
Mostly having its weight balanced toward the blade. It wouldn't be great as an all-around bushcrafting blade, but they're great for clearing trails and chopping moderate sized branches in the way.

In contrast, most Latin style machetes just don't have great blade geometry or weight balance for chopping tree limbs and brush, but would likely be better for vines or other thinner vegetation where its better to have a longer blade with a fairly consistent angle to make larger cuts for you to walk through.
>>
>>29517857
You fucking retard
>>
>>29517711
most Kukris are like that due to them be forged from truck leaf springs by hand that said they are amazingly tough I have one that is a WW2 left over that I still use for yard word (was not used un WW2 but was made around that time)
>>
>>29517857

https://youtu.be/66GoZ2vKI9g

Watch this and pretend there are ants everywhere in the video
>>
>>29517752
The extra weight forward of the hand allows the operator to get more thrusts per squeeze
>>
>>29520381
What. The. Fuck.

Did I just watch?
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>29517285
Neat, mine's got the same design on the blade. You didn't happen to pick that up in East Africa, did you?
>>
>>29517644
>I hate how the kukri lacks the handguard because I rather keep my fingers and not end up cutting my own hands by accident if the grip gets wet from the rain and my grip slips onto the blade

That's what the ring in the middle of the handle is for senpai.
>>
>>29521094
>>29517285
Sorry to break it to both of you, but I too have a kukri that turns out was just from a 2nd hand shop someone tried to sell as a genuine one in the 70s. It was a fake ass tourist one so google the kukri with its handle specified or something thats what I did, chances are its a shitty tourist one
>>
>>29522025
>implying that tiny little notch is going to be effective in stopping my hand from slipping on the blade

NEXT
>>
>>29522925
If you hold it correctly, it should.
I have some Kukris and a few of them don't even have the little notch in the middle, and even then I never have a problem with my hand riding up just so long as I keep a tight grip.

>>29517752
It's shorter and does the same job.
I find Machetes just don't have a good geometry and that my Kukri tends to chop small trees down quicker than my Machete.
The weight at the front of a Kukri adds a significant amount of chopping power, and I've found that the inwards curve does large carving fine enough.
A Machete does finer work a little easier though at the cost of chopping power imo.
>>
>>29517285
Why's the blade design a Chinese Dragon.
Are you sure it isn't Chinkshit?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.