[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about Japanese food and groceries? Imo it is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: store.jpg (335KB, 1157x859px) Image search: [Google]
store.jpg
335KB, 1157x859px
How do you feel about Japanese food and groceries?
Imo it is the one thing Japan got wrong, no way raw fish can compete with tasty American burgers, or Italian pasta, just as examples. However I never tried Japanese groceries.
Please post your experiences with Japanese cuisine and groceries (soft drinks, candy, snacks etc) in this thread, and discuss.
>>
At least they didn't fuck up as bad as Sweden a.k.a. tubed food land
>>
File: IMG_0646.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0646.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Well for a start, there are food places all over the place due to how often japanese eat not at home. With kitchens being very small or there isn't enough time to go home, there are a lot of options to eat cheap and quickly. It's ideal as a tourist and I haven't had a single bad meal in japan, and I didn't eat sushi once during my two weeks. I always went to convenience stores so I don't know how the normal supermarkets are. The bread in japan is much lighter and softer, I really like that and with vending machines everywhere you feel the urge to try a lot of different things. I'd say green tea and barley tea takes a bit to get used to. Snacks and candy are a fun ride with all these things you have never eaten before.
Ramen, Soba, Udon, Curry Rice, Okonomiyaki and more. There is so much more than just fish.
>>
I always find looking in supermarkets in other countries that are not as western to be quite interesting. I have a video from when I was there in 2012 - 10 minutes of walking through a supermarket.
>>
>>17224927
Japanese food is some of the nicest i have eaten.

7-11 has some gorgeous ready meals. You can see the effort gone into constructing them, and no not raw fish. We are talking beef, chicken, peppered ham.

I love 7-11 eclairs, they have custard in them and they are beautiful.

Lawson does chicken skewers right at the checkout, i suggest you try them.

Japanese chocolate is nicer than the dogshit Americans have.

If you are going there brother, enjoy it. Make sure to have a Mos Burger.
>>
File: ItCan'tBeHelped.gif (164KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ItCan'tBeHelped.gif
164KB, 320x240px
>no way raw fish can compete with tasty American burgers, or Italian pasta
>However I never tried Japanese groceries.
>>
>>17225017
That looks like someone vomited on that hotplate and fried it.
>>
File: 1498236710112.jpg (141KB, 629x919px) Image search: [Google]
1498236710112.jpg
141KB, 629x919px
natto bread
>>
>>17225521
You look like your mother vomited you out of her pussy.
>>
Are you a food otaku?

>>>/int/
>>
>>17225017
That shit looks gross.
I love street food, fast food, junk food. Things like hot dogs, juicy burgers, frozen pizza. You know. 'Merica. That being said how does Japan compare? I read that they have lots of Michelin restaurants but that sounds like a faggot ass name for rich people restaurants who eat little, I eat like a behemoth. What should I expect?
>>
>>17224927
>never had it
>thinks it is all fish

https://youtu.be/Ohte57763KY
>>
>>17231422
Anon with healthy appetite here. Go to any ramen restaurant. You can't go wrong.
While I was there I practically only ate ramen or curry and I was never disappointed either by the quantity or by the quality. Don't be afraid of the place looks shabby, it's perfectly normal and sometimes those are really the best.
>>
File: what a way to exist.jpg (15KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
what a way to exist.jpg
15KB, 500x350px
>Japanese cuisine and groceries (soft drinks, candy, snacks etc)
"Groceries" is not a synonym for sugar products, my American friend.
As for ACTUAL Japanese groceries, they have ups and downs. Overall they subscribe to the general Japanese idea of "high quality, smaller portions", in that you might pay more for those grapes, but they will be damned good grapes. Same for the rest of the produce. Most vegetables I ate while living in Japan were as good as those I would get at markets in Europe. That is: much better flavor, and only slightly higher price, than the average American "supermarket" variety.

As for condiments and the like? Packaged, preserved goods tend to be similar in quality as anywhere else in the world, honestly. There are a few stand-out sweets when you compare the average grocery store or konbini to American supermarkets or corner stores, but nothing compared to the produce.
>>
File: reminder.png (5KB, 512x78px) Image search: [Google]
reminder.png
5KB, 512x78px
>>>/int/
>>>/trv/
>>>/ck/
>>
>>17224927
Japan as the nicest foods around. Hell, look at this video:
https://youtu.be/DvWhTh0m6KA
You can see this Japanese girl is using tons of things, not "Raw fish"
Also turn on subs.
>>
>>17224927
I'm actually currently watching Gaki's Kiki series and I'm constantly amazed at the variety they have of a single product. I mean, 15 different brands of tomato ketchup alone! Here in the UK your options are some store brand, Heinz and Daddies, which is also owned by Heinz. You might get some occasional new fancy product but they never last long. The only thing I can think of where we have as much variety as a Japanese product is beer.
>>
>>17243417
>spaghetti wiener miso soup
Hoooly shitto.
>>
>>17233866
Is it wrong that I just eat it out of the cup?
>>
File: 1494285276730.jpg (91KB, 377x449px) Image search: [Google]
1494285276730.jpg
91KB, 377x449px
>>17224927
>Imo it is the one thing Japan got wrong, no way raw fish can compete with tasty American burgers
Fuck off, /pol/.
>>
>>17243765
... Maybe? That is how I used to eat it.
>>
>>17224927
Every place I go to in Japan has pasta, and it's all fine. Limited pasta, but pasta.

The one objectively shit thing about Japanese grocery places I can think of is that they sell fucking weak ass flour and very strange baking powder.
>>
Also, they have meat, but most meat is pork. Beef costs so much more. There's also chicken, but no turkey.
>>
>>17244241
Turkey is only common in America.
>>
I go to a Family Mart everyday close to my station and get some of their shitty food, honestly the salmon they have is the only thing I like and more often then not they don't have it.

There are a lot of cool restaurants but for someone who can't cook for shit and doesn't want to spend a lot of money I don't like my options. It's half my fault too for being picky though.
>>
It sucks mainly because they don't have good cheese.
>>
>>17244275
We have it in Europe too.
>>
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Begin Japanology doc, but I suppose everyone has seen it already. I was surprised when they briefly mentioned there was hardly any sales, I suppose that why you always see the poor character in anime always excited whenever there is a sale on.
>>
File: salmon.jpg (36KB, 331x214px) Image search: [Google]
salmon.jpg
36KB, 331x214px
>>17224927
>Raw fish can't compete with burgers

TAKE THAT BACK
>>
Artificially expensive rice that needs government endorsed propaganda to justify it's price.
A shit load of soy bean sprouts that go bad in one day.
Tasty fish cuts that are nonetheless to small to fill an actual human sized person.
A lot of fatty pork and again, artificially expensive beef that needs muh wagyu propaganda to convince the japanese consumer that he isn't getting ripped off.
White bread by the dozens, the japanese like to say that it's for the foreigners but no way in hell there's enough foreign people here to justify the sheer amount of white / sweet bread produced.
>>
I won't be able to eat anything when I go because everything contains gluten and I have Coeliac disease.

Kill me.
>>
>>17248662
I didn't know they had to justify white bread like that. I always thought the native palate was why it was sweet in the first place. Are they ashamed to admit it? I know I can't stand the stuff. It's not even bread, it's a damn angel cake.
>>
>>17248909

I have a coworker that has that disease and she is surviving. It sucked but she learned the ropes of living here.
>>
>>17244325
No one eats it though

I've never seen turkey being sold at a sandwich deli or anywhere
>>
>>17224927
Japanese food has some good hits (ramen, for example) but mostly, no thanks.

>>17225017
My friend loves barley tea but to me it has a really "earthy" taste, like I'm literally drinking dirt tea if that were possible. Green tea is the shit, though.
>>
>>17225017
>>17225140
Kind of glad to hear, as I just cannot stand the taste of the dried seaweed they use, just touching it with my tongue triggers my gag reflex.
I grew up in the middle of a very dry place with no fish cuisine, so I'm not used to fish either. I just can't even swallow it without gagging. So I was worried that if I go there, I'd have trouble eating anything.
When I go I suppose I can just explain my picky eating away with "allergies", and always choose the land animal meat options.
>>
>>17249099
I personally hate mushrooms and I wonder how feasible it would be to avoid anything fungus related in my food.
>>
>>17224927
Japanese food is too expensive especially those in the cities. STay in the rural areas
>>
>>17249057
It's probably not as popular here as in America, but I think it's quite common. at least it is in the UK. I don't know about sandwich delis, but I always see slices next to ham in shops, frozen whole turkeys year-round, turkey as an option at restaurant carverys, and everyone I know eats it at Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, it still fascinates me that KFC dominates Christmas so much over there. How can a bucket of fried chicken have anything to do with Christmas? I can understand if they sell whole roast chickens, as a whole turkey might be too big for the average family there, but KFC don't sell whole chicken, do they? Why not just go to practically any convenience store and just buy a chicken and seasoning?
>>
Didn't read the rest of the thread, but I fucking love universe.
>>
>>17249116
Mushrooms are usually flavourless you don't notice them.

>>17249217
Christmas is ham (Eve) and lamb (Day) here, but fair dues.
I think the KFC thing is just a corporate thing that became part of culture.
They probably advertised it early on in the Showas or whenever, and because of the cheap price of chicken it probably caught on and became tradition. I do think KFC sell special whole chicken in Japan during Christmas time, pre-made with all the seasoning and everything, and you need to reserve them because they're in demand usually. Of course just a bucket of chicken also goes, I guess.
As for why people don't just cook their own chicken... laziness, I guess.
Christmas or the Winter Solstice as Europeans celebrate it never existed there, but now because of globalism it does in some form. While in the West it is a family thing, and if you're still into that kind of stuff a religious thing, but in Japan it's just Valentine's day on steroids with chicken and shortcake.
>>
File: RIP_5169.jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
RIP_5169.jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
>>17225521
No, that would be monja.
>>
I'm moving to Japan soon for lol English teaching. I have limited cooking skills; do you guys have any simple, cheap recipes that you might recommend? Or do you have any preferred ready-made meals that you can buy, like the equivalent of microwavable meals here in the West? I'm worried I'm gonna be living on onigiri and boxed conbini meals everyday.
>>
>>17251451
Get rice cooker > have rice
Get hot water pot > have miso soup
And then just add in conbini food or canned/pickled food or whatever
>>
>>17225733
Fuck you and fuck natto, holy shit most disgusting food I've ever eaten
>>
I hate chink food!!!
>>
File: 1424465976019.png (209KB, 419x551px) Image search: [Google]
1424465976019.png
209KB, 419x551px
>>17233866
I mean, it's pudding.
>>
>>17238437

That guy died.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.