[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1777

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 608
Thread images: 45

File: 1464242029412.jpg (185KB, 800x688px) Image search: [Google]
1464242029412.jpg
185KB, 800x688px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Previous thread: >>16369373

This thread is for the discussion and learning of Japanese with raw otaku media.
If you have no interest in otaku media or want to request a translation, this is not the thread for you.
Please use sage. This isn't /a/ or /int/, you don't have to keep bumping the thread all the time for no reason.

Let's have a nice thread by reporting and ignoring off-topic posts.
がんばってゆっくりしていってね!!!
>>
File: You... uh....gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
You... uh....gif
2MB, 350x197px
>ちりも積もれば山となる。
>A penny saved is a penny earned.
Core translations are pretty interesting.
>>
なせば大抵なんとかなる!
頑張ろうね
>>
>>16388851
That's nothing. Watch this.

>私なんて生きていてもしょうがない人間なんです >I'm the kind of person that just can't help it no matter how I live.
>>
File: J-CAT 全成績.png (348KB, 1000x893px) Image search: [Google]
J-CAT 全成績.png
348KB, 1000x893px
I did the J-CAT today.
I can't say I feel either happy or unhappy about my results. I suppose that means they fit my current level. I was aiming 250 but well, sometime soon hopefully.

During the listening part, I would say I understood pretty much everything that was said aside from a few words here and there, but despite that I still messed up with all the dates and hours that were asked, I've always been bad with those and stress added to self-doubt probably didn't help. For the rest, no excuses, aside from a Grammar question I knew I had right but waited too long to press continue so I got it skipped.
>>
i'm looking for easy books (elementary school type shit) to read. I checked CoR but of course it only has higher level stuff

like 1st/2nd grade level, in the arena of maybe 80-100 pages, a fair amount of pictures, relatively few vocab i don't know, easy reads.

some examples are ぼくは海になった or ともしび, doesn't have to be those titles in particular though. (i'd just buy them but they're all 20 bucks apiece so reading 30+ books at that price just isn't reasonable)

it's a long shot but anyone know resources / repository for this kind of literature?
>>
>>16388975
Doesn't kids manga like Yotsuba fulfil this requirement?
>>
>>16388975
Just read manga which motivate you, you aren't 7 years old anymore. Reading easy things like that because you are afraid to commit will not get you anywhere, trust me.
>>
>ホモと見るガチホモアニメ
What does this tag mean?
>>
>>16389023
This. Maybe reading a kid's book will entertain you for a little while but unless you can do that in English as well you're just going to get bored and quit.
>>
>>16389023
they don't have many words

>>16389023
>afraid to commit
fucking freud over here

>>16389046
maybe, that's what i'd like to see. it's not like you only get one chance to use one method to learn japanese in your entire life.
>>
>>16389099
>they don't have many words
then read more of them
>>
>>16389099
I'm pretty sure the CoR has graded readers. Did you look at that yet? They aren't as long as what you're looking for but it would be good practice.
>>
>>16389046
>>16389023
i like the compelling content idea and understand it. to me, in a general way, that's the best way to learn.
but is there a point at which content is too difficult to tackle for the time being? and if so, how do you know?
>>
>>16389236
I don't have a scientific way to measure it but maybe something like if you have to look up over 50% of the words on the page and you are not sure what is even going on then it might be too hard for you.
Or maybe if a page takes you over 30 minutes then it might be too hard for you.
When I got btfo by reading I went back and did anki and grammar until I could feel comfortable to try again.

Of course, even if something is way over your level you can still get through it if it's really important to you and you have patience. Part of learning is getting out of your comfort zone so that's something to consider as well.
>>
>>16389285
i see. i was reading a visual novel and basically using rikaisama on every other word, but i could usually basically understand what was being said. but it was slow as hell and at times it felt like i was relying too much on rikai, as if i was just reading the english definitions and sort of gleaning the meaning of the sentences from there...
so i suppose i should go simpler.
>>
A recommended video in the guide says to not memorize vocabulary, but the beginner core vocabulary deck is considered a big deal here.
>>
>>16389391
Steve's is one valid opinion among others. There are vocal people here who think you should eschew flashcards entirely but they're probably a minority.
>>
>>16389426
How would you learn the vast piles of vocab without flashcards? If I had to look up every fucking word to begin with I'd hang myself long before I could learn japanese.
>>
>>16389043
ニコニコのmemeだるぉ

おおんあくしろよ
>>
恐れ
怖れ
畏れ

日本語がおそろしい
>>
>>16389637
いちばんしたはつかったことないよ

がんばれおにいちゃん
>>
>>16389474
Flashcards would probably make things easier, but compelling material + looking up every fucking word was what I did for english vocabs back in the day and I think it still worked out fine
>>
>>16389637
どうしてつかわないかというと

・捕虜の虜の字と似てる
・書きにくい

なら捕虜の虜の字も簡単にしなよとツっこまれるけど

かんたんな漢字はないよ!
>>
Sorry if this gets asked a lot but it turns out you need windows 7 service pack 1 to install google japanese input…
Are there any other imes you guys recommend other than the windows one?
>>
>>16389712
>you need windows 7 service pack 1 to install google japanese input…
As opposed to?
>>
>>16389721
I'm currently using the default microsoft ime but I find it a bit buggy at times, and I can't install the google one
Are there any other good alternatives?
>>
>>16389712
you can't install sp1?
>>
>>16389735
buggy?
>>
>>16389049
>>>/int/69715405
>>
>>16389049
Have you tried Google Maps? It has more detail than you could possibly ever need, and you can set it to show place names in Japanese.
Knowing basic geography is just generally useful for VN reading because you're expected to know it as a native, it's a good idea.
>>
File: 2017-01-10_19-07-49.webm (634KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-10_19-07-49.webm
634KB, 1366x768px
>>16385860
I'm not overly impressed with ShareX's webm quality.
>>
>>16389739
I need a password to do it and my mom won't give it to me.

Anyone else remember the kid who couldn't install Anki?
>>
Would Lucky Star be a good babby's first listen?
>>
>>16389712
google has some ime which is probably fine
>>
>>16389712
You could try "mozc". It's what we use on Linux and it's basically the same thing as google's japanese input with some differences:
https://github.com/google/mozc/blob/master/docs/about_branding.md
>>
File: 1370707186470.jpg (91KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1370707186470.jpg
91KB, 299x299px
Just a friendly reminder to the latest /a/ colony.
>>
>>16390183
i would get out if i had a choice
>>
>>16390190
You do.
>>>/int/
>>
>>16390214
lol
>>
>>16390214
/int/ is bad though
>>
このろくでもない

うつくしいにほんと

あのんにかんぱい
>>
>>16389977
The "quality" has nothing to do with Sharex.
>>
>>16389236
five finger rule
>>
>>16390025
Windows 7 without updates is so full of security holes, I'm sure there's and exploit that would give you admin rights

Your mother won't be happy about that though
>>
>意図せざるうちに
Can someone explain the せ here? What is it?
>>
>>16390701
せざる→しない
Look up the ざる suffix.
>>
https://dojgdeck.neocities.org/
mega:///#fm/transfers

Do I put the content of media.7z into my collection.media folder? Or is it unneeded given I install the deck which already has (media)?
i.e. is the media.7z for people who wish to add media later on in case they had picked the (no media) deck? Or do I have to extract it anyway?
>>
>>16390716
>mega:///#fm/transfers
I'm dumb, meant :
mega:///#F!2g5gHISQ!RIYvs3pHnsX1ibK3yBRvxQ
>>
>>16390629
Feel free to explain what the problem is then.
>>
>>16390747
No.
>>
>>16390716
what u said fampai
>>
What exactly is this よろしかろう (宜しかろう) form? I tried reading the weblio page but it just throws buzzwords at me like 未然形 and 推量の助動詞
Or rather than what it is, what is its tone / what does it imply? Just volitional "let's have fun"?
>>
File: kc.png (3KB, 535x53px) Image search: [Google]
kc.png
3KB, 535x53px
>>16390792
>>
>>16390800
>うまかろう

はつかうきかいがあるかもしれないけど

>おいしかろう

はつかわないとおもうよ。ああしらこいしらこい
>>
>>16390800
I don't know what you're using but this doesn't pop up on my rikaisama
Also I've never seen 美味しいだろう... is it different from 美味しい、だろう? As like separate words?
>>
>>16390809
This is from the rikaicake dictionary. Download it and set its priority as first in the Firefox Rikai options.

Have you at least read all of Tae Kim?
>>
>>16390820
What TK lesson has that?
>>
>>16390792
Adding かろう to the stem of an い-adjective is a kind of casual, goofy way to say だろう.
>>
>>16390860
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/volitional2
ctrl+f かろう

Seems you haven't. It'd be a good thing to get into the habit of reading one or two TK lessons every day from now on, starting from the start until you finish, anon.
>>
リメンバー詐欺
>>
How do you get kanji to stick? I know a few basics but kanji for random words like 時々never stick for me, remembering a complex series of lines for specific words seems way too hard
>>
>>16391151
Read more.
>>
>>16391151
Sacrifice your soul to the anki gods.

I do wonder what the next best thing aside from flashcards are for a person learning kanji. I never used anything else as my primary form of learning vocab/kanji (looking up kanji on jisho and writing it down) so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>16391151
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824835921
>>
>>16391161
Thank you
>>
>>16391182
There's a sample on Heisig's site, try that first to see if you like the method.

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/en/files/2012/12/RK-1-6th-edition-sample.pdf

Also do not skip reading the introduction.
>>
>>16391185
Thanks, I found a PDF somewhere so I'll check it out
>>
>短い帯状の内出血の後。

What is a belt shaped inner bleeding?
>>
>>16391200
そのかたちだと

>跡・痕

をつかうのがふつうなんだよ

よくわからなくてごめんねおにいちゃん
>>
>>16391182
>>16391191
Be sure to get the 6th edition. I'm pretty sure the one I put in the CoR is still there.
>>
Looks like it's been re-uploaded, thanks to whoever did it, here it is : mega:///#F!O94lVTAC!UL3Vw9YBe2rFEUc-nQrPWg

The deck is good but don't be too diligent with it (it's fine to just press hard-good-easy), you're not meant to spend more than 3 months maximum on RTK. Use Koohii for more stories and look up reading and word compounds for each kanji you study on Jisho as you go on.
>>
>>16391200
Maybe it doesn't mean "internal bleeding" as in "bleeding around the organs", but a bruise - that's still technically internal bleeding, I guess. So a small, belt-shaped bruise. Just a guess, though.
>>
>>16391446
Not him but googling this seems to fit. Warning it's kinda gross.
>>
How japan difference hare and rabbit?
兎 - hare? 野兎 - rabbit?
>>
>>16391476
The opposite, it seems.
>>
>>16391476
卯は暦のうさぎ

兎はうさぎ

野兎は飼い主のいないうさぎ

さんこうになったらうれしいな
>>
>>16391487
Oh, exactly.
But japanese can call hare - 野兎?
>>
>>16391516
ありがとう
>>
What does it mean when っ is in the middle of a sentence? Is it just the same as the letter after it? It's been messing with me for a bit. Sorry for the basic question I just started out learning.
>>
>>16391549
これを機にAnkiしてくれたらうれしいな

>ねーうしとらうーたつみー・うまひつじさるとりいぬいー
>子丑寅卯辰巳・午未申酉戌亥

にほんの時間にかかわるすべてのことがらは

200年くらいまえまでは数字でなくって

ぜんぶこれで生活していたから

たとえば丑の刻参りという習慣は誰でも知っているじょうしきで

それは丑という時間が

たしかにつかわれていたなごりだよ
>>
>>16391572
The pleasure of being cummed inside.
>>
>>16391572
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana
Look at "Writing system" - specifically the paragraph that starts "A small tsu っ".
>>
>>16391572
It means read Tae Kim.
>>
>>16391572
think of っ as a small pause. English usually denotes that by duplicating letters, but you should stop thinking in romaji.

the scientific term for that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemination

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glottal_stop for when the っ is at the end of a word
>>
>>16391601
That's what I'm doing right now. I'm going through Tae Kim on memrise. I'm only a few hours in, but I'm taking it slow and repeating stuff to make sure it sticks.

>>16391600
Boy, that's a lot of text and requires a lot of brainpower. Thank you though.

>>16391606
That makes more sense, I'll try doing that and see if it clicks. Thank you for basically summing it up in a sentence.
>>
>>16391617
>I'm going through Tae Kim on memrise
Don't do that.
>>
>>16391619
I'll read through it on my Kindle later to make sure I didn't miss anything fundamental. I'm just starting out this way because it's easy and I don't have to think much while doing it. I can do 10min here and there. It's probably not the most efficient way though.

I just assume the best thing to do is move on to Aniki or w/e once I'm done with Tae Kim, but I'm only a few hours in so that will be a week or two I assume.
>>
File: [2016.12.29] 落書き [冷蝉].jpg (562KB, 666x1200px) Image search: [Google]
[2016.12.29] 落書き [冷蝉].jpg
562KB, 666x1200px
>>16391617
Drop memrise. Memrise is only good for this lesson here http://www.memrise.com/course/292900/japanese-counters/ and that's all. Trust me, I wouldn't take the time to type this otherwise.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
1 lesson a day minimum. Make yourself a schedule and check lessons you went through as you go to motivate yourself.
>>
>>16391644
>http://www.memrise.com/course/292900/japanese-counters/
Jesus Christ just fuck my shit up
>>
>>16391657
You can (and should) ignore lessons 1 to 18 from that link since they don't have kanji though. Never bother learning words if they don't have their kanji.
>>
Does anyone else here measure how many lines/kb they read per hour? I'd like to compare!
>>
>>16391672
The difficulty of reading text really depends on what you're reading.

This thread should have a reading club where we all read the same thing and discuss both the work and how hard it was for us to read it afterwards.
>>
>>16391644
Thanks, I'll try! It's just hard to stay motivated and learn when I have pages of pages of text to look at. I can read it, but it doesn't always stick. With memrise it beats it into my dumb head, I just planned on using that for the basics. It's the same source, so how different could it be.
>>
>>16391680
W-Why did you respond to me? I guess that means you don't.
>>
>>16391689
That's why I'm telling you to make yourself a schedule as to not get overwhelmed by the amount of information and contents you need to learn. Break it down in little parts and do little by little every day, it'll feel rewarding and more manageable that way.
Just remember that habits generally take 3 to 6 weeks to settle up properly, it's normal if it's hard, also you'll only notice progress after a while has passed.

If you wish to continue TK on memrise go ahead but be sure to double-check the source page sometime when you're done with it. Do not use memrise for vocab or anything else that is beyond things like learning Hiragana and Katakana. Lessons on memrise are made by people who themselves are beginners, they are RIDDLED with mistakes. Ask us what to do if you're lost, or check the guide.
>>
>>16391680
>This thread should have a reading club where we all read the same thing and discuss
That could be a fun idea but it'd have to be either a manga or a very easy LN/VN otherwise I doubt many people would follow through after the first day or two.
>>
>>16391680
That sounds dumb, especially because people here have bad taste (lol those charts) and complain that everything above Hanahira level is impossible.
>>
>>16391716
Thank you very much. I've got all the time in the world, I just lack motivation and direction, but I think I know what to do now. As long as I feel like I'm making progress it's fun to continue*, but I've gotta remember to take it at my own pace and not speed through it. I'm gonna force myself to spend at least an hour a day reading, more if I feel motivated.

I've tried several times throughout the years to learn Japanese, but I always feel overwhelmed and put it aside. Taking in this Tae Kim book at a slow pace just seems like the right thing though.

I can't help but feel "what if I had forced myself through this shit a decade ago.", but on the other hand I bet all these guides weren't available then. Oh well.

*After only doing it for a few days I'm already able to recognize hiragana and read it (at a slow pace) and that makes me wanna continue. I know this is practically nothing, but baby steps.. Sorry for rambling.
>>
>子供のウワサってほんと荒唐無稽よねぇ
>Children's rumours are absurd
>それにしちや生々しい情報だベな
Please, help with translation this sentence.
My version "But it all new information", i'm right?
>>
>>16391759
Don't translate if you don't know Japanese.
>>
>>16391697
I was saying that measuring kb or lines per minute doesn't actually mean much because there's no good standard for it, easy stuff reads at 10x the rate of hard stuff when you're a student.

>>16391749
It doesn't have to be anything as long as a LN/VN. It could be a short story of 20-50 pages and we could give people a week to do it so that even the worst among us could try and power through it with a dictionary in one hand and a grammar resource in the other.
>>
>>16391766
I'm learning and try to translate for myself.
Just "生々しい" confused me.
>>
>>16391779
>生々しい
https://www.google.co.jp/#q=%E7%94%9F%E3%80%85%E3%81%97%E3%81%84%E3%81%A8%E3%81%AF

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1470556904

I don't get the しちや though, context?
>>
>>16391766
If he's working on a translation project that's indeed bad, but if he's just interpreting for himself then it's useful to give us the context.

>>16391759
You should recognize (at some point when you get better at the langauge, maybe) that だべ doesn't end sentences in standard Japanese. It appears to be Hokkaido-ben for でしょう.

Are you sure that しちや isn't actually しちゃ? Just checking.
>>
>>16391766
>I don't get the しちや though, context?
I think this それしては.
>>
>>16391798
This dialect, i know.
>>
>>16391769
Well the standard is time. Am I much faster/slower than people who studied the same amount as me? etc. It's a decent estimate and I've noticed over several works that my line/hour is always around the same. Assuming the opposing side is consuming "normal" content and not literally reading Hanahira/Muramasa it makes for a good comparison I'd say.
Maybe even a fun questionnaire like this for extra accuracy;

Learning Japanese since:
Reading right now:
Reading speed per hour (pages/lines/KB):
>>
>>16391791
I know what 生々しい mean 'green, lively, fresh', already saw all these link.
This sentence is last in the dialogue.
In previous saying about information "Children's rumours".
I have 2 versions:
"But this all new information"
"But, this impressive %%Information%%"
>>
>>16391893
They're saying it also feels fresh and refreshing, nothing more.

Picture yourself being 40-50 looking at kids talking about stuff that go over your head like gen #15 pokémons and smirking as you smoke a cig.
>>
>>16391897
You have no idea how grateful I am to you.
In this cause 2 Detectives are investigating.
Children tell them horror stories.
And detectives discussing.
>>
File: tsukinami.png (152KB, 661x355px) Image search: [Google]
tsukinami.png
152KB, 661x355px
>>16388851
I like when word density differs blatantly.
>>
>>16391897
Do you have a resource on what the しちや meant? I would have expected something like それにしても
>>
>>16388888
Congrats on improving either way (and nice quints)
>>
>>16392135
This それしては.
>>
>>16389391
Double edged sword. Near as I can tell there are 4 aspects to this whole endeavor:

Vocabulary
Grammar
Listening and Speaking
Reading and Writing

Studying vocabulary doesn't do you much good if you can't form a coherent sentence, and studying Grammar doesn't mean much if you can't recognize the words being used. Studying writing is helped along if you already know words, but picking up words can be difficult from just listening/conversation when you're not sure how to write them down.

To top all that off, you have to learn about learning because everyone wants to teach differently and they tend to omit important things, like radicals. Radicals are so flipping important to understanding Kanji (in my mind) it would make more sense to say there are 3 alphabets, 2 phonetic and the 1 used to make Kanji words. Or the fact that verbs have a bunch of different conjugations based on whether it is or is not happening, present/past tense, and how polite you are being. And definitely fuck that last one. I'm watching tv or listening to something, it would really be helpful to know that だ is an informal です, or じゃない is "is not".

Feels like there is so much emphasis on learning the various aspects that no one wrote down a good primer, and because so many systems involve their own reward mechanism, you don't realize how poorly/slowly you're going until you try to apply what you've learned.
>>
>>16391151
Learn radicals. It's a lot easier to pick stuff up when you can concieve how to write it and what its components are.
>>
>>16392135
As anon said, it's しては in casual form/slang, don't overthink it. Also, this is not しちや but しちゃ.

ち や =! ちゃ
>>
>>16392135
>>16392250
https://www.google.co.jp/#q=%E2%80%9D%E3%81%9D%E3%82%8C%E3%81%AB%E3%81%97%E3%81%A1%E3%82%83%E2%80%9D
Example sentences.
>>
>>16392250
I specifically asked if it was supposed to be しちゃearlier but didn't get an answer.

I should have just assumed he or I were retarded rather than that I had encountered some mysterious new form.
>>
Is there a better alternative to WaniKani? Last I tried a year ago, I got to around level 14~16 and learned a ton, but it's #1 major flaw is that if you miss a day or two, you have to do hundreds of reviews just to catch up.

Besides that, it doesn't even cover words that don't use Kanji, so I had to suppliment with Anki Core 2k/6k.

What other methods are there or do I just start from 1 again with Anki?
>>
File: 835b511b86db9678a69eb3d73d7.jpg (185KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
835b511b86db9678a69eb3d73d7.jpg
185KB, 1080x1440px
>>16392189
Thanks. I'll take this as a positive sign.
>>
Is there a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between EN/JP keyboard settings? It's a bit annoying having to manually click it with my mouse.
>>
>>16392281
Yes, in every major operating system.

You should really ask Google this question.
>>
>>16392267

If you're someone who misses days, then Anki isn't going to help you either.
>>
>>16392267
Yes, the free flashcard program Anki.
>>
>>16392261
Looks like you quoted someone else instead of me though, couldn't know it was you. >>16391803

You should move on now, getting stuck on a sentence like that for so long becomes kind of counterproductive in my opinion.

>>16392267
Hundreds of reviews is nothing. To answer your two questions, reading and mining what you read.

>>16392281
Are we talking Microsoft IME? You can set up keybinds.
>>
>>16392281
left alt + left shift
>>
What Jcat score equals what JLPT level, approximately?
>>
>>16392297
It's written here >>16388888.
Bottom right.
>>
>>16392292
I feel I should at least get through core 2k before trying to read (stopping every two words to look up is frustrating)? Thoughts?
>>
>>16392297
Are you blind? JCAT directly lists the comparisons when it shows your score
>>
>>16392295
Bless you. I was pressing shit + ctrl and wondering why it wasn't working.
>>
>>16392300
Why is there nothing in 151-200, is that just N3 as well?
And about how long does the test take?
>>
>>16392319
Those are the old JLPT score tiers. Level 4 is approximately N5, etc.
>>
>>16392302
You're right and wrong at the same time. I totally understand the feeling of frustration and slowness because myself I waited a while before reading, but I ended up regretting it... the reason is no matter how many words you mine reading will be frustrating, even if you do core10k. To learn how to read you need to read. Also premade decks like those suck dick and don't exactly teach you all the nuances and definitions for words, because for that you need to read. It's also slower for the brain to learn words that are just on a black background and thrown into boring robotic sentences than learning words naturally through context or compelling content.

Pick up something that motivates you and that's also relatively easy to read. I recommend http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/watch/mg46919?track=ct_first if you're a lolicon. Vol. 1 is up on nyaa with first 6.5 chapters in better quality than the web version.
>>
>>16392327
Thanks for the advice, and I'll check it out. Thanks!
>>
>>16392319
>>16392322
I assume you can put :
Basic = N5*
Pre-Intermediate = N4*
Intermediate = N3*
Intermediate-High = N2
Pre-Advanced = N1

*moved
based on what anon said.
>>
>Until 2009, the test had four levels, with the old Level 3 and Level 4 corresponding to the current Level N4 and Level N5 respectively. In the change to the new level system, a new Level N3 was inserted between the old Levels 2 and 3. The examination for Level N1 was expanded to cover higher-level content, but the passing standard for Level N1 remained approximately the same as the old Level 1. JLPT certificates do not expire or become invalid over time.
So I assume this >>16392349 is correct.

http://kissako.it/content/jlpt-japanese-language-proficiency-test-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E8%83%BD%E5%8A%9B%E8%A9%A6%E9%A8%93-nihongo-n%C5%8Dryoku-shiken-overview
>>
>>16392344
And remember to set up the rikaisama mining thing and to mine as you read. Make a separate deck, don't mine into core.
>>
>>16392292
>>16392261 - It's not me.
>>16391803 - This me
>You should move on now, getting stuck on a sentence like that for so long becomes kind of counterproductive in my opinion.
This not counterproductive, because you concentrating, finally, this helps to better remember.
And after that you intuitively understand language.
>>
>>16392362
>JLPT certificates do not expire or become invalid over time.
Seems bad from both a certification and a business perspective.
>>
>>16392582
Natural languages are entirely different from technical disciplines. A natural language certification never becomes irrelevant as long as the skill stays in use, technical discipline certifications can.
>>
>>16392582
I heard 会社 in Japan ask you about the score you got on your N2 or N1 when asking for it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would also ask or notice when you took it.

That's also why there are people who like to re-take the N1 so they can score better and make a better impression during job interviews.
>>
File: 1459293090690.png (137KB, 724x623px) Image search: [Google]
1459293090690.png
137KB, 724x623px
How bad is this? I started learning Japanese 9 months ago.
I also got really tired towards the last 20 minutes and didn't even try to read those wall of texts in the Reading section, probably should have done it in non-zombie mode.
>>
>>16392599
People forget languages over time. A certificate earned 10 years ago would still be valid, but the person could have forgotten most of the language due to lack of use.
>>
>>16392617
I'd say it's around 195/400
>>
>>16392623
anon, you might be literally retarded
>>
>>16392623
>A natural language certification never becomes irrelevant as long as the skill stays in use
>as long as the skill stays in use

>technical discipline certifications can
>technical discipline certifications can [even if the skill stays in use]
>>
>>16392623
I agree than you can forget due to disuse to extent, but the language still remains in your brain, like a type of muscle memory

If you reapply yourself to learning you'd get it back much much more easily than if learning the first time
>>
>>16392627
>>16392637
>>
>>16392617
The goal is to evaluate yourself, if you did the J-CAT in an half-assed way, not trying your best, not reading and answering randomly I don't see how the final score could be taken seriously.

But anyway, if you do deserve the 195 for 9 months of study then I'd say that's rather good, keep it up.
>>
>>16392644
Yes. That is a defense of that. The default case is for the certification to continue to reflect your skill level. Because natural language as JLPT certifies is not the same as technical disciplines which transient certifications certify.
>>
>>16388812
Best op

I just got the Yume Nikki LN the other day, it's pretty good so far, great descriptions of the world
>>
Are Technical Translations typically proofread? I know that in my job pushing paper data will typically sit for years before someone checks it. Would a shitty translator get by because no one is checking his shit, or would it get caught pretty fast?
>>
I fucking hate 自分

How about you fucking japs use some words that you can just look at and know the meaning of instead of it being a damn puzzle
>>
>>16392647
I didn't want to make it sound like an excuse, even if I tried hard the score would have probably changed only by 10 or so. It was more like "well I'm probably not gonna get this anyway, just skim the text and preserve brain energy for the next question".

I haven't been in a school setting for 3 years so having to sit down for an hour for a test doing nothing else was weird to say the least. At least I know what to expect for the next time.
>>
File: Amazing.gif (1MB, 358x202px) Image search: [Google]
Amazing.gif
1MB, 358x202px
>>16392688
Oneself + part = myself.
>>
I've been cleaning my Japanese bookmarks and found this and since I'm about to delete them I thought I'd share before it in case beginners are interested :

Yotsubato vol. 2 & 3 vocabulary lists (vol. 1 has a reading pack for your information) :
http://pastebin.com/Rqvee7KT
http://pastebin.com/0Uh32qeT

Non Non Byori vol. 1 to 3 vocabulary list :
http://pastebin.com/q2ya8VUs
>>
>>16392688
bait post
>>
>>16392696
>myself

Except for when it means theirself, yourself, herself, himself, etc
>>
>>16392704
They're all in the same family of meaning. Context just changes what word is used.
>>
File: 0sq9l82.jpg (62KB, 297x442px) Image search: [Google]
0sq9l82.jpg
62KB, 297x442px
>>16392704
Context
>>
>>16392709
Yeah and in complex sentences it's a huge pain in the ass seeing which 自分 applies to which person and in relation to what other people
>>
>>16392715
So the complaint is that you can't read, rather than the word itself.

Give it time.
>>
>>16392723
Nope japs just need better words
>>
>>16392688
The example sentences here are not natural and are only meant to show how 自分 works.

自分は戦います
I myself will fight.

私は自分の猫を食うか
Would I eat my own cat?

彼は自分を殺す
He killed himself.

自分 is the "reflexive" pronoun. It refers to another pronoun to indicate that something is being done in the context of one's self. You can translate it into english as myself, my own, me myself, etc, with any "person", such as he, she, they, who, etc.
>>
>>16392737
Yeah it's simple enough in those basic sentences, but when you get a sentence which has like 10 sub clauses in with 6 different topics and 6 different characters it gets more annoying
>>
>>16392747
Not really. I think anon was right, the real problem is you can't really read yet. Just keep reading.

Don't think. Feel.
>>
>>16390183
But isn't want to learn Japanese the most jp thing you can do?
>>
>>16392811
That's like saying puberty is the most grown-up thing you can do.
>>
>>16392828
Pretty sure most people on /jp/ don't know japanese to a meaningful extent.
>>
Got 50 dollars I legally need to waste, any learning material for me to get and rip?
>>
>>16391151
>a complex series of lines for specific words
What are radicals
Are you one of those fags who also brags about how he can write 20-stroke Kanji?
>>
>状況
>事態
>様子
>調子

Why do nips have so many words to describe a condition or state?
>>
>>16393133
and english doesn't?
>>
>>16393133
They're all different though. Especially the last two.
>>
Am I kidding myself by actively avoiding grammar study? I'm just using anki and chatting to qt.3.14 Japanese grills as my only forms of study. anyone have any thoughts on grammar?
>>
>>16393194
Considering TK only takes two to four weeks at most, yeah you're doing bad. And you're also fucking up by not reading actual content every single day.
Basically you don't want to actually learn Japanese, you just want the feeling of thinking you are learning it.
>>
>>16393257
projection
>>
侃侃諤諤

Mmmm rare kanjis もぐもぐ
>>
>>16393194
It just means you're going to have good conversation skills but not be able to read anything more complex than basic slice of life manga
>>
i wish they'd use kanji whenever there's one available
>>
>>16393345
わたしもそうおもいます
>>
>>16393345
尊那事波名井乃出夜露死苦
>>
>ヴ
who is responsible for this and are there any other obscure characters I've failed to learn about
>>
>>16393364
>>
>>16393364
It's not obscure and you probably failed to learn it because the material you studied was trash.
>>
>>16393364
ロ゚ニ゚ト゚チ゚リ゚ヌ゚ル゚ヲ゚ワ゚カ゚ヨ゚タ゚レ゚ソ゚ツ゚ネ゚子゚ナ゚ラ゚ム゚ウ゚井゚ノ゚オ゚ク゚ヤ゚マ゚ケ゚コ゚エ゚テ゚ア゚サ゚キ゚ユ゚メ゚ミ゚シ゚ヱ゚モ゚セ゚ス゚ン゚
>>
File: IMG_0288.png (209KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0288.png
209KB, 640x960px
>>16393378
>>
>>16393369
I used namasensei realkana and an anki deck I googled to test run anki as pre-kanji prep to learn the syllabary so you're probably not wrong
>>
File: 91L3rUBEBqL.jpg (553KB, 1637x2305px) Image search: [Google]
91L3rUBEBqL.jpg
553KB, 1637x2305px
What do you think about pic related?

I want to use a book that has exercises to practice forming my own sentences and shit.
I think about either getting this one or printing out the Genki workbook.
>>
>>16393424
Use anything but genki
>>
>>16393429
I just want the exercises.
>>
>>16393306
いただきま~す
>>
>>16393429
What's wrong with genki?
>>
おはようおにいちゃん

ルーピーがトヨタを叩いてるんだけど

ルーピーってほんとルーピー
>>
File: 1449087357194.jpg (32KB, 640x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449087357194.jpg
32KB, 640x600px
i've been doing this for a while now and still can't tell when it should be あく or ひらく
not knowing the difference hasn't caused any trouble so far, i believe
>>
>>16393564
おいあくしろよ
>>
What's ガイジ supposed to mean?
Pretty sure it's an insult, but I don't quite get how.
>>
>>16393599
You forgot the ん
>>
>>16393599
It means foreign pig-dog go back to USA and eat your haanbaagaa
>>
>>16393621
>>16393622
I'm pretty sure I didn't forget the n. Or they just leave it out and write it in katakana; I don't know the first thing about Japanese internet slang.
>>
>>16393653
Where did you even get that word from?
>>
>>16389391
Learning anything is different for everybody. This is partly why learning a language is so hard, especially with this one: there's multiple aspects to learn and each are crucial.
Some people do good learning vocab from cards, other from listening or writing, and some just from seeing things in context and absorbing them.
You should try each angle from learning, and see which one you enjoy or soak in the best. Once you find that, focus on the portion at hand, and move onto the other before diving into the big things. Then when you can at least understand things a bit, attempt reading and see how you do.
Don't force yourself too much, don't give up, and keep studying as much as you can. Even if your process is slow, you'll still learn it.
>>
>>16393669
Japanese twitter buddy. Seems to be Niconico slang, but fuck me; I can't read all of that shit.
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B8
>>
>>16393718
Foreigner vs Foreignah
ガイジン vs ガイジ<phonemically nasal ending vowel>
>>
>>16393718
>障害児
It's an abbreviation, then.
>>
>>16393718
>Japanese twitter
What are you doing on that cancer?
>>
Fuck ツ and シ, and all the fonts that make that shit hard to read.
>>
>>16393777
I used to be sympathetic for this, but it's not hard as long as you can remember which one is more horizontal than diagonal and which one is more vertical than diagonal.
>>
>>16393777
>and all the fonts that make that shit hard to read.
None of them?
>>
>>16393733
Thanks. Rikaisama translated 障害児 as "handicapped child", so I was pretty confused.
>>16393756
Just some guys I play games with. They don't have any other foreigner followers, so they only posts in moonrunes, which I don't know much about.
>>
>>16393412
>realkana
It's on realkana. There is a second page full of those types.
>>
File: ビンビンだぜ.png (165KB, 1019x635px) Image search: [Google]
ビンビンだぜ.png
165KB, 1019x635px
う、うん、そうか
>>
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n6iss6ZjSbGgoqe6h92w9yvLrvon1PPe93wuCzrWCGI/edit?usp=sharing
Collab project maybe?
>>
>>16393789
I'll get it with practice, it's just studying カタカナ is hard enough without a vocabulary list on hand, and words get really weird until you realize you have to watch for the angle.

>>16393789
I've been playing Final Fantasy to practice because it's loaded with カタカナ, but the font really is terrible for some letters, like the top and right end of ナ are one pixel, so it looks like フ, and the corner marks in シ and ツ are two pixels each.
>>
>>16393756
Over half of anyone who creates anything in Japan has a Twitter these days.
>>
>>16391893
I would have taken it to mean "raunchy" since I've heard it used that way the most.
>>
>>16393599
It's 害子, suposed to be like "retard" or sth.
>>
>>16393978
>子
>>
>>16393978
Whoops, meant 害児, not 子. It's a pretty childish insult, by the way. Most often used by gradeschool students.
>>
File: 1468753895035.jpg (20KB, 201x216px) Image search: [Google]
1468753895035.jpg
20KB, 201x216px
>>16393424
No one?
>>
How to skyrocket your listening level:

Step 1: Find some repetitive task that requires no mental effort like grinding vanilla wow or runescape
Step 2: Listen to audio / watch stuff on your second monitor

The simple repetitive task allows you to go on listening for hours and hours, where you might get bored after only a short period of time if you were doing nothing else.

I've leveled three characters up to 60 in vanilla wow while listening to Japaneses audio the entire time and my listening level has shot up bit a lot.
>>
>>16394048
Sounds like a placebo to me
>>
>>16394048
Or you can watch something compelling and focus all your attention on it.
>>
>>16394064
What part?
>>
>>16394070
This is what normies who spend an hour or two a day think.
>>
>>16394048
Or you could just watch anime instead of playing the shitshow known as vanilla wow
>>
>>16394071
The part that sounds like a placebo
>>
>>16394009
I've heard it being recommended strongly in some places, so if you want a workbook I guess it's a decent choice. Though in my personal opinion books are meh if you're self-studying.
>>
>>16393496
It's not designed for self study
>>
>>16394090
And yet it works flawlessly for self study. Weird, huh!
>>
>>16394109
>flawlessly
Yes, "you implicitly have to skip a bunch of exercises because they involve multiple people" is "flawless".
>>
>>16394109
There are much better alternatives that are actually designed for the kind of people you get in this general
>>
>>16394110
There's only a few group excercises that you can't do on your own because they're literally just "talk amongst yourselves" exercises. I was able to do most of the group exercises by myself.
>>
>>16394130
You mean you don't have a tulpa?
>>
>>16394130
It's not just the exercises tho, the structures all fucked up too because they made it with the intention of teachers using it to teach Japanese classes n shit
>>
>>16392042
This terrifies me because I already find japanese difficult enough without the translations being bullshit half the time.
>>
>>16394145
What do you even mean the structures are fucked up? The chapters start with new vocabulary, continue by introducing new grammar with detailed explainations, then end with a bunch of exercises that go through what you've learned. How on earth is this a "fucked up" structure?
>>
>>16394188
It's not the type of book you're supposed to just read from start to finish, it doesn't progress in a logical way like something like Japanese The Manga Way does, it's just a random list of beginner grammar topics that teachers can pick to talk about
>>
>>16394223
>It's not the type of book you're supposed to just read from start to finish
Yes, it is. It absolutely is. You're supposed to go through every chapter, properly, in order, and it introduces more and more advanced grammar and you progress.
>>
>>16393424
Why are you so desperate to form sentences right away? Are you going to Japan imminently and need some survival phrases, or are you trying to impress a friend? If not, then forming your own sentences so prematurely won't help you in any way.
>>
File: mpc-hc64_2017-01-10_21-49-32.png (2MB, 1281x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpc-hc64_2017-01-10_21-49-32.png
2MB, 1281x720px
Go to kitsunenekko to find some Japanese subs for Drifters, find one for the first episode... and it's subs in Russian. In the Japanese subtitles section.

Surely Jap subtitles for anime can't be this scarce. Am I looking in the wrong place or is it just uncommon to make subs for content in your own language?
>>
>>16394223
I felt the exact opposite, that Genki and Nakama had a proper structure (although fuck Genki's romaji and fuck Nakama's late kanji integration), yet Japanese the Manga Way was totally random and starts with stupid shit like arbitration end-sentence particles which should be last on the list when learning grammar.
>>
>>16394381
I believe romaji goes away after a couple lessons in Genki.
>>
>>16394375
>Am I looking in the wrong place
Yes. Look for good anime.
>>
>>16394388
It isn't there at all in Nakama and it causes zero problems, so I concluded that it was entirely pointless and could only be a hindrance in Genki.
>>
孑孑
>>
Will I become a Kanji master if I do this deck?
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/798002504

>This deck contains ALL information you may need for a kanji.
>It includes ALL 2136 Jouyou Kanji + JLPT N5 to N1's Kanji + 861 Jinmeiyou Kanji + 2500 Most Frequent Kanji + 3007 Kanji from Heisig's book + even more.
>(3787 notes)

I was thinking of doing 150 cards a day from this so I could finish in one month.
>>
>>16394412
そうか
>>
>>16394304
Neither, don't need survival phrases nor want to impress anyone, I just want to be able to express some things I learned in Japanese for the sake of it.

To be completely awful in one area is a no go for me.
>>
>>16394431
いいえ
>>
>>16394446
だったらどういうことですか
>>
>>16394429
Get some experience with Anki before you decide to do such a ridiculous number of cards. The hard part is keeping up with reviews, not the new cards. I guarantee you won't be able to keep up 150 for that long unless you're some autistic supermutant.
>>
>>16394393
No offense, but anime that's good for you is the one you're interested in watching. I could look for more mainstream stuff but it would be a slog to try and start watching those if I have no interest in them.
>>
>>16394487
Why would you reply to this.

As for JP subs yes they're that uncommon, a shame but it's like that.
>>
>>16394510
I see. I thought I was in the wrong section or something seeing as how they're in Russian, but I guess it's just an uncommon thing.

Thank you.
>>
>>16394487
Just watch with English subs if your hearing is that shit
>>
>>16394525
That's not Russian and it's not even particularly close to Russian. Not that it matters, just letting you know.
>>
>>16394525
Only other thing I know is this https://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&cats=0_0&filter=0&term=Kamigami but most of their stuff aren't seeded so it's probably hell trying to DL anything.

Also there's that website which has anime subbed with some sort of rikai integrated and you can mouseover words and such as you watch but I forgot the name and I don't have it bookmarked it seems.
>>
File: 1483653546778.jpg (258KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483653546778.jpg
258KB, 768x1024px
What is a good site for J-J dictionary entries or Japanese example sentences which include the word you are looking for?

I had some saved as bookmark but I must've deleted them by accident.
>>
>>16394572
I personally just use google.jp when I'm in trouble and then click on whatever seems to help.

Usually I'm redirected to http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/ and http://www.weblio.jp/ which I also have both bookmarked just in case. I feel like I'm missing one that's also good but I can't think of it right now.
>>
寝たくない
働きたくない
死にたい
>>
>>16394595
おもしろい
>>
>>16394487
>No offense, but anime that's good for you is the one you're interested in watching.
Not if you're assburgers like me. I can't stand watching something I have a real interest in if I can't understand 100% of what's being said.

So I watch shitty shows that won't make me feel bad for not understanding a line or fifty.
>>
>>16394618
Not him but I feel the same way as you and that's why I just got the subs of Guilty Crown off kitsuneko since apparently it's the kind of anime you can watch with your brain turned off.

I just hope they work fine.
>>
>>16394606
お前の顔がおもしろいFAG
>>
>>16394525
>>16394557
I found it anon, it's http://animelon.com/
>>
>>16394647
失礼なこと言わないで、この使えないやろう
>>
>本店
>think its bookstore
fucking fuck
>>
>>16394690
But that's 本屋
Remember that 本 doesn't have just one meaning
>>
>>16394690
Do you also think 日本 is sun book?
>>
File: 1468763730809.jpg (46KB, 600x591px) Image search: [Google]
1468763730809.jpg
46KB, 600x591px
>>16394707
>tfw mistaking 本日 for 日本 literally every time
>>
http://ttbj.jp/

Looks similar to J-CAT. Anyone brave enough to try it? I'm too tired right now.
>>
>>16394721
I will try it now. I'm nervous.
>>
>need to read something
>everyone talks shit about hanahira

i dont think id be interested in little girls doing little girl things

whats an easy as hell vn about literally anything else
>>
>>16394733
axanael
>>
>>16394733
ものべの
>>
>>16394748
I thought that was supposed to be hard?
>>
>>16394755
Nah it's your dick that's hard while you're playing it
>>
>>16394748
That has a lot of cute little girls doing little girl things.
>>
File: 1410293095224.jpg (165KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1410293095224.jpg
165KB, 850x850px
I think it's impossible for me to watch Japanese TV, streaming sites I used in the past are down and there is no way for me to get it even if I pay.

So what else should I watch for listening practice?

Thought about watching dramas http://www.gooddrama.to/watch-drama-shows#japanese-drama

or maybe some recorded shows on youtube, can you recommend me some?
>>
>>16394721
Shite man, you only have 4 seconds to answer. So far the questions aren't hard but the timer is too fast.
>>
>>16394773
You can't exactly get away from 可愛いことしている可愛い女子s in jap shit
>>
JNovel Formatter isn't working for me. The preview looks fine but the html files it outputs are complete gibberish full of strange symbols and Chinese characters. Any idea why this might be? I got the .txt file by converting an .azw3 file in calibre if that matters.
>>
File: 59718100_p0.jpg (258KB, 700x988px) Image search: [Google]
59718100_p0.jpg
258KB, 700x988px
I'm done cleaning my bookmarks, here are all the Japanese tests I found :

http://www.j-cat.org/en/
http://ttbj.jp/
http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/lirg/resources/goitokusei/goi-test.html
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/yomi/yomi.html
http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Level_Check_Kanji.html
http://gamewrap.weclo.net/kanji/kanji.html
https://www.arealme.com/japanese-vocabulary-size-test/ja/

Aside from the obvious J-CAT they can all be done without need to register and are supposedly short so go ahead people, have fun and try away.
>>
>>16394790
game center cx if you are /vr/
>>
>>16394796
i dont know what you said but its making me think i should just deal with hanahira
>>
>>16394833
If you can't understand that then you probably won't be able to understand Hanahira. How far are you in vocab and grammar?
>>
>>16394790
You can watch abema tv which has several sub channels, but it's official and only available in Japan so you need a VPN (it's easy to find a free one). There's also http://mov3.co/ for a variety of other channels.
>>
>>16394796
Well the way he phrased it made me think he has some weird fetish for old hags, so I was surprised you recommended him another lolige.
>>
>>16394796
可愛いことしているの可愛い女子
>>
>>16394941
no
>>
>>16394945
可愛いことしている可愛い女子
cute girls that are doing cute things
可愛いことしているの可愛い女子
cute girls doing cute things
>>
>>16394954
There is no point in putting の there and neither does it make a difference.
>>
>>16394958
there is and it does
>>
>>16394821
I've never used it, but maybe try editing the HTML to put <meta charset="UTF-8"> under the <head> tag.
>>
>>16394960
>no u
Stupendous argument from Mr. Mount Stupid
>>
>>16394962
i dunno man i'm certainly not the one here posing more understanding of japanese than he actually has
>>
>>16394958
It does make a difference though. 可愛いことしている可愛い女子 = cute girls doing cute things. 可愛いことしているの可愛い女子 = the cute girls who are doing cute things, with the implication that there might be some other cute girls not doing cute things to which one could refer.
>>
File: 1451180816921.jpg (96KB, 615x593px) Image search: [Google]
1451180816921.jpg
96KB, 615x593px
>>16393873
>>
>>16394966
oh yeah i wrote the comparison backwards earlier my bad
>>
File: Score_report_2017-01-10_204541.jpg (128KB, 729x415px) Image search: [Google]
Score_report_2017-01-10_204541.jpg
128KB, 729x415px
>>16394721
Well I got owned completely. Made me realize I do not work well under pressure. Reading VNs and such made me slow since you can repeat voiced lines and have all the time in the world to read at your own pace.
I guess I'll try to watch more Japanese shows, since it tends to be more fast-paced and have a lot of words on screen.
>>
>>16394656
Oh, thanks. I always had an interest in Ansatsu Kyoushitsu so I'll probably watch that.
>>
にかいおなじことばはつけないほうがいいので

>かわいいことするめんこいこ
>>
>>16394966
I don't know how you got that conclusion but eventually you'll understand that that's not how の works.
>>
>>16394981
Another anon posted about this test a while ago.
http://desuarchive.org/a/thread/147743980/#147756525
>>
>>16394990
How much have you read? Be honest.
>>
>>16394828
Got me interested in watching some Game Center CX, but it looks like there's no torrents of episodes 1-100 in Nyaa and the ones that are there are mostly not seeded.
>>
>>16394988
でもわざとやってるよ、可愛さを強調するために
>>
>>16395002
More than (You).
>>
>>16395007
>very little

That's why you shouldn't post about things you don't understand.
>>
>>16394992
Thanks, wonder how long he studied.
>>
>>16394990
Humor me. Do you really think の does nothing at all there?
>>
What does it mean when the い in adjectives is changed to げ?
Example: 寂しい ~> 寂しげ
What's the difference?
>>
>>16394852
ive read JTMW but since i havent been reading i feel like im forgetting some grammar

ive seen 愛 i think but i think it was with aisuru
no idea what 可 is though. kinda looks like 3/4 of nani
>>
>>16395017
Hover over げ, first rikai result.
>>
>>16395017
げはちゅういだよ

>可愛げ+がない

これは可愛らしい外見で可愛くないことをすることだよ

とくしゅなつかいかただけど、つかうとおもうよ
>>
>>16394790
>So what else should I watch for listening practice?
Anime
>>
File: original.gif (551KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
551KB, 480x270px
たとえば

めぐみんは

かわいげがない
>>
>>16395285
は?
>>
>>16395285
>かわいげがない
>ない
死ね
>>
>>16395336
She's good for one or two episodes, but pretty dull outside of that.
Aqua is the real goddess of the show.
>>
>>>/a/152077040
Can DJT learn Japanese in less than 10 years?
>>
>>16395355
Ive been at it for a year. I can probably see a decent level of competency in another 4.

Still won't know は or が though.
>>
>>16395351
アクアがかわいいはせいぎ
>>
>>16392697
have vol.1 deck or list ?
>>
File: 2.jpg (61KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
61KB, 650x366px
我が名はめぐみん!

黒より黒く、闇より暗き漆黒に
我が深紅の混淆を望みたもう
覚醒の時来たれり
無謬の境界に落ちし理
無業の歪みとなりて現出せよ!

踊れ、踊れ、踊れ
我が力の奔流に望むは崩壊なり
並ぶ者なき崩壊なり
万象等しく灰燼に帰し
深淵より来たれ!

これが人類最大の威力の攻撃手段
これこそが究極の攻撃魔法

エクスプロージョン!!!
>>
>>16394961
Thanks for your reply. Doing this made it mostly work, but it still wasn't handling furigana properly (just inserting them into the text instead of over the kanji).

I actually ended up getting it work by going abandoning JNovel Formatter altogether and just using calibre to convert the azw3 to htmlz. Not really sure why I was so convinced I should use JNovel in the first place.
>>
I heard on the grape vine that Yotsuba is a good start for reading raw. Is there any good torrents knocking around? None on nyaa seem to have enough seeders.
>>
>>16395464
read the OP
>>
>>16395465
Oh fuck, skimmed over the OP but didn't see a guide link.

Grazie bene.
>>
>>16395464
>I heard on the grape vine that Yotsuba is a good start for reading raw

It's actually not, it's full of colloquial speech which hardly even resembles what you learned in Tae Kim.
>>
>>16395470
What would be better? Or is that in the guide?
>>
>>16395471
>What would be better?

Either graded readers or whatever interests you.
>>
可愛い少女のしている可愛いこと
>>
Non Non Biyori? I assume that's pretty easier and an earlier anon >>16392697 posted the vocabulary list to get started.
>>
>>16395488
there's also SZS, which has a transcription of about half the first volume
>>
>>16395355
I’ve only been studying for two years and I already know Japanese.
>>
>>16395488
Yeah, NNB is the same level as Yotsubato. Really, though, that's as easy as it gets.
>>
>>16395512
What makes you think DJT cares about microphones?
>>
>>16395502
見せてやれ
>>
>>16395672
i just started on 苺ましまろ and i should have done nnb i think
kansaiben a shit, thank god for whoever linked me
http://sorayuko.s251.xrea.com/kansei.html
>>
>>16395440
>ネタ魔法
>>
気が狂った彼をあの小屋にかわりにいれとこう

How would you translate this? I don't understand いれとこう, but I'm fairly certain it's supposed to sound a bit hick-ish.
>>
>>16395798
いれておこう
>>
File: 1467636550128.jpg (28KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
1467636550128.jpg
28KB, 250x349px
>Feel like I'm doing absolutely terribly in anki
>40 cards forgotten

>Feel like I'm absolutely killing it in anki
>60 cards forgotten
>>
I'm beginning to buckle down and really learn Japanese and I have a question about something.

Does Kanji ever get intuitive? I see it mixed into kana and it seems jarring to me that I would have to memorize the meanings of all of these elaborate shapes that are far far more complicated than hiragana and katakana are.

So like, say I saw the words "red barn" in English, but between the words red and barn there was a kanji that was unknown to me. Are there any ways to decipher what it means in this context without having to look it up? I could assume that they're further describing what type of barn this is.
>>
>>16396015
Tell me about ORTHOGRAPHY and STATIONERY used for SCRIBing please
Did that make sense other than the random caps? Kanji play that kind of role.
>>
このすば

11話がいちばんよかった

1話から10話はじかんのむだ
>>
>>16396022
ii jikan yo
>>
>>16396015
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13943-post-240908.html#pid240908
>When you use your understanding of the language in general to predict the meaning of a word based on its kanji in japanese, you don't do so on account of knowing proper meanings. Meanings are a small component of it. The key elements in predicting the meaning of a word are 1) words with shared characters that are used in similar situations*; 2) association between the kanji in the unknown word and the other words in which that kanji appears**; 3) general reading comprehension.
>>
>>16396024
おにいちゃんこのすば二期みる?

あたしはみないかな
>>
>>16396022
edgyな感想だな
>>
>>16396286
だだだだだだれがエッチだ

しつれいな
>>
File: 1441661329634.jpg (202KB, 843x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1441661329634.jpg
202KB, 843x1200px
I've been reading some Japanese sayings and they were really interesting, made me wonder what Japanese folktales are like.

Does anyone know where to find Japanese folktales online or is there a book or something I can import?
>>
>>16394970
Are you mocking the filter I'm using or am I thinking too much into this? That's the pretty much the only filter worth something, the others or not using one looks like shit.

>>16394981
>>16394992
How are we supposed to interpret those scores though? Seems like there's 230 points total and you scored 174, you then got 75 average... / ?
I'll try the test later today I think.

>>16395419
For Yotsubato? I'm pretty sure it's in the OP/CoR >>16388812 somewhere. Look for something called "Yotsubato reading pack" or something.
>>
>>16396467
Have you tried Googling "Japanese folktales"?
>>
File: 1483526091582.png (391KB, 1082x2157px) Image search: [Google]
1483526091582.png
391KB, 1082x2157px
>>16396467
Monobeno is folktale based.
>>
>>16396467
>>16396549
日ペ昔話
>>
When should I stop learning kanji and start learning actual words.
>>
>>16396604
After you learned kana.
>>
>>16396608
Is learning words more important than kanji?
>>
>>16396618
Yeah.
>>
>>16396618
いっちゃんたいせつなのは

音じゃないかなあとおもうよ
>>
>>16396618
If you learn vocabulary you can't help but also learn kanji along the way.
>>
>>16391897
>They're saying it also feels fresh and refreshing, nothing more.
Can you explain why "feels fresh"?
>>
>>16397061
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=523 i find.
>>
>>16397061
生々しい is just 生々しい stop trying to think in English or trying to translate it.
生 = raw, fresh, natural
生々 = lively
生々+しい = "which is..."
I can't believe I still have to explain that sentence a day after.

騒ぐ
騒がしい
>>
File: dzdad.png (98KB, 399x215px) Image search: [Google]
dzdad.png
98KB, 399x215px
Need help with this SFX please. I can't find it http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/ here let alone decipher it.
>>
>>16397243
What is the title?
>>
>>16397240
Okay, just forming i-adjective from 生々.
But where "feeling" in this sentence?
>>
>>16397302
What part of "stop trying to think in English or trying to translate it" don't you get? You're seriously annoying. Watch a bunch of anime a day, read TaeKim, mine words from what you read, and soon enough you'll understand Japanese.

Your questions are fucking useless. It's like reading a character saying "寒いね" and saying "IF IT MEANS "WEW IT'S COLD" THEN WHERE IS THE "WEW" AND "IT'S" HERE?!". Plain dumb. Get more exposure.
>>
>>16397243
ベンリ
>>
>>16397271
魔法使いの嫁

>>16397326
Makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>16397243
It looks like パンリ
>>
>>16397339
Among other things it could yes, but what would パンリ even mean?

I'm in the process of 筆写ing the manga so worse case scenario putting 便利 would fit the way the cat has been talking and behaving so far, i.e. "oh, your laps are useful, thanks".
>>
>>16397322
>What part of "stop trying to think in English or trying to translate it" don't you get?
All.
Why you just not say 生々しい also used as "producing an impression"?
>>
>>16397349
How about you learn English.

Or how about you give us the exact context of the sentences when you asked for help? If you had done it from the start instead of sperging with your slav-tier English the case would be over already. Fuck off.
>>
ビジネスメール等では、尊敬すべき相手に対してどちらのほうが丁寧ですか。

>○○様が仰ることは…
>○○様の仰ることは…
>>
>>16397456
どっち使ってもいいよ
どちらかがより丁寧って事はない
>>
>>16397547
分った
ありがと
>>
>>16392042
>>16394152
This happens a lot, though. An idea concisely expressed in Japanese may not be so concise in English. There's nothing weird or scary about it. The scary stuff is when the meaning is conveyed very poorly ( >>16388864
)or outright wrong (I do remember one core sentence being objectively wrong in meaning but I forget which).
>>
>>16395003
I have all of them so you probably aren't looking in the right place.
>>
>>16394790
Why not idol shows? (early) AKBingo, Nogi Doko, etc.

Get torrents from aidoru-online
>>
>>16397986
>The scary stuff is when the meaning is conveyed very poorly
That's an example of a sentence that has to be localized differently in media but has to be translated badly to retain the presence of the words in it.
>>
I'm having real trouble with だろうが

What exactly does it translate to? Specially in this sentence:
愛情だろうが壊してしまえ
>>
Two questions.

>嚥下に動く喉が白い。
What meaning does 白い have here? Or what does the sentence mean I guess.

Is
>ねばなるまい
and
>なければならない
The exact same meaning or is there a difference?
>>
>buy random Japanese book to read
>ends up being one of the hardest things I've ever read
Been studying for three years and still getting fucked up at times. It really does take a lifetime to master a language...
>>
>>16398522
1. White, probably with semen
2. Same
>>
>>16398547
Maybe you're just not trying hard enough
Maybe you just won't make it
>>
>>16398522
1. The throat in the act of swallowing is fair.
Fair as in the skin color is very light.

2. Not sure, as I haven't seen ねばなるまい while reading, but to me it sounds less forceful than なけばならない
>>
>>16398547
Watching manga for 3 years isn't studying. If you can't read Mareni or even Romeo at that stage you're simply a failure and lack discipline.
>>16398572
>as I haven't seen ねばなるまい
The average manga watcher, everyone.
>>
>>16398563
I actually went to bookmeter to check reviews and there were some reviewers (Japanese of course) saying the SF vocab was so heavy they frequently didn't understand what was being written so I don't feel so bad now.
>>16398576
I've read Kagerou, Dies irae, C+C, etc.
>>
File: 1483976289916.png (251KB, 555x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483976289916.png
251KB, 555x720px
>>16398576
That's "play" manga to you
>>
File: Qualia_128.png (63KB, 810x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Qualia_128.png
63KB, 810x1200px
Nanami sure is smart for a little girl who just started middle school. I guess it shows how superior Japanese education is.
>>
>>16398580
What book?
>>
Has anyone tried opening a japanese sub file for an anime episode with firefox, going through and importing every word you don't know to anki, and then later going back and watching it after all the cards have been introduced? I think that could be quite fun
>>
>>16398714
>I think that could be quite fun
Anon I think you might have autism.
>>
>>16398714
I'll try that later, actually
>>
Does anyone know a good book for learning kanji?
I know there are online resources but I'm looking for a book in hand for convenience.
>>
>>16398996
You don't really learn kanji, you just memorize them. No book necessary. Just flash cards - be sure to learn radicals first, though.
If you insist on a book, then Remembering the Kanji is the only really worthwhile one. I'll tell you now though, it's not really worthwhile despite being the only worthwhile one. The volumes are just pages upon pages of information that won't actually help you too much. Flashcards do the job just as well.
>>
>>16399003
>be sure to learn radicals first, though.
I disagree personally. I would recommend learning kanji, and when you've seen a radical a few times you can look up the meaning and learn it if the meaning matches the kanji that it appears in.

I think Kodansha Kanji Learner’s Course might be better than Remembering the Kanji.
>>
>>16399054
Main reasons I disagree:
1) There are FAR less radicals than kanji: 3,000-some kanji you need to learn, 200-some radicals (not to mention a good chunk of those radicals are kanji themselves).
2) Radicals will *always* be simpler than the kanji they appear in*, so by default they're easier to learn than kanji. For example, rather than digging 心 out of 感 and then looking it up, it's easier to just learn 心 in the first place.
3) The majority of the time, radicals will have no apparent connection whether it be phonetic or meaning to the kanji they appear in, so aside from a small number of cases, the only thing that matters about them is their shape, which you can learn independently from kanji no problem.
4) You say "when you see a radical a few times", but when you have busy kanji like 感 it can be hard (or even impossible for a beginner) to tell distinguish the various radicals if you haven't specifically studied them.
*unless the kanji is a radical itself that is
>>
>>16399003
That's the one with Heisig is it? I looked through the pdf of that one. That book is terrible. Dosen't even list the pronunciation of the kanji. That one just has kanji=english and a description that seems really pointless.

I'm looking to find a book that has the om and kun yomi's, definition, stroke order, a couple of sentences and phrases. Sort of like a dictionary except it would list it from the order of increasing difficulty of JPLT kanji.

The one that has this is 'power of kanji' that covers jplt4 and 5 with only a measly 464 kanji. jplt5 is only needed for beginners so I'm looking for one with way more kanji.

>>16399054
I can't find a pdf of it to have a good look at this one. Though it looks decent from the few pages I can see on Amazon. I'll probably try that one.
>>
>>16399095
>I can't find a pdf of it to have a good look at this one. Though it looks decent from the few pages I can see on Amazon. I'll probably try that one.
It's in the guide resource list.
>>
>>16399095
Oh man! I'm sorry to say but you were/are very close to fucking yourself over. Studying the readings of kanji outside of words is a HUGE waste of time. Absolutely huge. It's not worth your time in the slightest. Why is it a waste of time? Because most kanji have 2 readings, and many have more, and even if you study them, it's close to impossible to tell how a kanji is read in a particular word unless you already know the word. It's better to just learn the readings as you learn words, so you can actually read the words instead of having to re-learn readings every time you see a word. That's not even mentioning that some kanji can have 10+ unique readings - memorizing all of them out of context is extremely difficult and as mentioned gives you no value. This isn't even mentioning that kunyomi are pointless without the okurigana, and at that point you're no longer studying kanji, you're studying words.

Basically, studying readings is pointless and will fuck you over. When one studies kanji, it's not readings that's the focus, it's the meaning of the kanji itself - which, actually, is more of a keyword than an actual meaning, because the meaning of kanji are mostly derived from the words they're used in, and thus many kanji have no solid definition (one Japanese individual described 気 as being "misty", not as having any particular meaning, but rather being misty because it appears in so many words like "atmosphere", "air", etc). Anyway, point being, studying Kanji is the act of studying the shape from radicals with an English keyword as a "rock" upon which to base your memorization. If you don't like this, and try to study kanji readings, you WILL fail to learn Japanese, I assure you.
>>
After 3 years, I'm sick of having a really wide vocab, being able to read a fuck ton of kanji, but sucking too much at grammar and speaking. Please help me anon. How can I fix this?
>>
望む望まざるにかかわらず

What does this mean? "In spite of one's desires", something like that? I don't understand the 望まざる part.
>>
>>16399188
Before I say anything, be sure to recognize that speaking fluently without trouble/errors is something fairly difficult and is basically the "end game" of language learning in a sense, it's something that requires a fuckload more time than just three years even for natives, obviously.

With that said, do you listen a lot? And I don't mean to VN voiced lines, I mean to just raw anime, youtube shows, podcasts, etc. Listening is really the key to speaking that's easy to overlook. If you all you do is read it's easy to develop a crutch for kanji that makes it so where the reading of words kind of slips by you and you can only recall the word through the kanji. Listening forces you to remember (at high speeds) the full reading of words. Not only that, but I feel there's some deep connection between hearing language and then speaking it, such that more listening == easier speaking, but I couldn't explain it to you.
>>
>>16399217
Thanks. It's really freaking hard, but I'm willing to put whatever time is necessary to reach this fluency.

Lately I haven't been listening a lot. I used to play a lot of VNs and anime, but lately not much. I think I'll start following some Japanese youtube channels and watching doramas.
>>
>tfw watched first episode of Witch Academia after 2 weeks of studying and managed to actually understand some sentences without subtitles

Feels pretty good.

But are you supposed to do the Anki right away or at a certain point?

I've been using genki and that grammar trough manga books and Anki became a huge pain to manage the moment cards went past numbers and dates because it has nothing to do with the stuff I study in said books.

Them out of context kanjis just refuse to stick, feels like I'm beating my head over the wall whenever it throws red cards at me.
>>
>>16399288
Right after finishing radicals and hiragana/katakana.
>because it has nothing to do with the stuff I study in said books.
Sorry my friend but that's your life now. Language books largely cover a narrow selection of beginner material, if you want to actually learn Japanese you've got to branch out from them. Sticking to just books isn't going to get you anywhere. "Out of context kanji" are a pain but (that's life but also) can be mitigated by reading practice which you should begin immediately after finishing some basic beginner books like Genki 1 + 2.
>>
What's the difference between 郵便 and 投函?
>>
>>16399419
Put 投函 in Google Images or look in a Japanese dictionary.
>>
>>16399445
Ah I see. So it literally refers to the postbox?
>>
What's a good book for grammar?
>>
>>16399830
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_night.html
>>
>>16399832
I mean a good book onto hold in hand, not an online resource.
>>
>>16399847
In that case, instead of using the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar reference page, you can buy the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar books.
>>
>ふっふっふ。オレはもっといいルートを知ってるぞ安全確実一陽来福一富士ニ鷹三ナスビだ

What's the 安全確実一陽来福一富士ニ鷹三ナスビだ about?

A certainly safe/secure...
>>
>>16398576
fuck off autist
>>
>>16399983
>一陽来福
Looks like a typo for 一陽来復, but I'm not sure.

>一富士ニ鷹三ナスビ
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%88%9D%E5%A4%A2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatsuyume
富士山

茄子
>>
>>16399193
(It doesn't matter) whether you want to or not. -ざるis essentially the same as -ない.
>>
When do I use じ and when do I use ぢ?
>>
>>16400107
You don't.
>>
>>16400112
Why? Because contracted sounds exist?
>>
>>16400118
There is no choice to make whether to use じ or ぢ in a given instance.
>>
What does it mean when someone uses the te-form of an i-adjective and leaves it at that? Like, after eating a meal, 美味しくて instead of 美味しい. Trailing off?
>>
>>16400132
私はわからなくて
>>
>>16400128
So you're saying it doesn't matter or I'll never use it?
>>
>>16400139
When do I use a mousepad and when do I go buy something to eat for dinner?
>>
File: kazuma.jpg (23KB, 737x104px) Image search: [Google]
kazuma.jpg
23KB, 737x104px
can someone explain this sentence to me
most specifically, i don't understand the ゆ and む's
i was thinking they could be filler characters, but かずまはこのすばいちだったんだよ sounds dumb. punctuation would also make some sense, but i really don't know for sure
>>
>>16400139
You'll never need to make the distinction because a word will be spelled one way or the other, you won't choose. I wondered the same when I learned kana, but it becomes clear that it's not an issue quickly.
>>
>>16400145
In Historical kana 「ん」and「む」 are same.
Probably it is a mischief of ゆんゆん.
>>
>>16400185
I guess I really need to get it into my head that this a new alphabet and romaji doesn't matter

Thanks lad
>>
>>16400212
all right. thanks a lot. didn't know the ん thing at all.
>>
I was thinking of acquiring a physical J-J dictionary, are there any in particular that you guys would recommend? I'm torn between 大辞林 and 広辞苑 but I'm open to other options as well.
>>
>>16400324
don't even consider it for any purpose but a mantlepiece until you're fluent
>>
>>16400324
It's 2017, why would you want a physical dictionary?
>>
>>16400360
>>16400376
Why not? I'm not fluent, but I don't use J-E dictionaries anymore and I like the feeling of leafing through a physical book.
>>
File: 20170112_072829.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170112_072829.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>16400382
I thought the same and bought one, never used it since.
>>
>>16400132
Just that - the thought is trailing off. Use your own judgment and the context to figure out the rest.
>>
>>16400406
What is that picture supposed to convey? A 国語辞典 is very useful for understanding the nuances and usages of Japanese words.
>>
>>16400524
>What is that picture supposed to convey?
Nothing particular, just thought I might as well post an image of my dictionary.
>>
Super beginner here.
Am I missing something or

>好き is actually made of radicals that mean "woman/girl" and "child"
>>
>>16400716
The answer to your question is "yes" but I don't know if you have any further implied questions.
>>
>>16400716
Japanese people like young girls.
>>
>>16400716
好 女子
Which one is すき? If you can those apart then you'll be alright.
>>
>まったくもって、どうかしとる!
>どうかしとる
google thinks どうかしている and it fits the other context, is that right?
>>
>>16400852
What other context? You posted random gibberish with nothing else.
>>
>>16400852
しとる is a regional dialect. Standard Japanese is している.
>>
>>16400861
ah cheers
>>
>>16399985
he's not wrong, if you've been learning a language (i'm assuming you aren't like 30+ old) for 3 years and can't at least make a decent attempt at high-level reading you've done something wrong
>>
Quick and stupid question is saying something like "all day yesterday X" as simple as putting all day and yesterday together? so if i wanted to say something was happening all yesterday yesterday i could say:

>一日中の昨日は...
>>
>>16400954
昨日一日中
昨日ずっと
>>
File: 9784010777169[1].jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
9784010777169[1].jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>16400324
I purchased this one - it's a small size so it can fit just about anywhere. It has proven quite useful.
>>
おはようおにいちゃん

おにいちゃんは

どうしておにいちゃん

はろー
>>
>>16400954
室内でずっとならへんなにほんごになるよ

>きのうは缶詰(かんづめ)でした

屋外でずっともへんなにほんごになるよ

>きのうは旅烏(たびがらす)でした
>きのうは渡鳥(わたりどり)でした

ちょっとふるくさいにほんごだけど

つかわないこともないんじゃないかなあとおもうよ
>>
Twitter seems to be a great practice for beginners too. Just follow whatever celebrities/artists you are fond of.

Has great range from practicing your hiraganas with endless おはようございます and こんばんs (I have no Idea why the fuck they keep doing that every day) to people discussing real life news and shit.
>>
「人でなくてもいいなら、孤独という生き方もある。 でも、俺は人が良かった。 本能じゃなくて、理性の怪物になりたかった。 そうすれば、もっと完璧に無害なものになれたはずなのに。」

「有害なゴミ。無識者もたくさんいるから。俺はいつもこわかったんだ。傷つけてしまわないかって。危険があっても回避できないのが、無識ってことだからね。猫が車の前に飛び出すみたいに。…自制しないといけない。細心の注意でもって。けど毎日楽しくて、つい忘れてしまうんだ。自分が何者かってことを」

Japanese prose really is wonderful. Whenever I come across passages like this or reread old ones I really feel like it was worth every single second of learning.
>>
>>16401181
太宰臭がする

すきになれない
>>
If I am reading a vn and using rikaisama on almost every word but I understand what is going on am I wasting my time? Should I find an easier vn or is that just how it is when you start vns?
>>
>>16401383
Are the words you're needing to hover over going into your mining deck?
>>
>>16401383
If you're enjoying it that's all that matters. Having something on the more difficult side is much better than something too easy for learning.
>>
>>16401383
Just read/play what you find enjoyable senpai
>>
>mfw JLPT5

hoooly shit what

not even trolling
>>
How important is it to spell English words in Katakana correctly as long as I get the sound right? Some of them are so weird.
>>
>>16401540
Keep meta posts out.
>>
File: 1482861535166.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1482861535166.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>16392828
>most people on /jp/ know japanese.
>>
>>16401527
You understand nothing or what?
>>
>>16401535
Aboot az impotent az miss spelling shit in Engrish az long as it sounds write.
>>
>>16394048
What do you recommend I listen to? What's a good start?
>>
moneyの正式なえいごってなに?
>>
So I'm going through Tae Kim and I just got to Kanji. Should I keep going or focus on learning Japanese words/reading using Hiragana/Katakana instead?
>>
>>16401771
???
>>
>>16401771
Are you using his "complete guide"? Because that one's actually incomplete, the one you're supposed to read is the grammar guide.
Either way, you don't *have* to learn Tae Kim vocab but it definitely doesn't hurt. It's all common words anyway.
>>
>>16401774
I'm a beginner. Is learning Japanese words or Kanji more important. Opinions seem to differ.
>>
>>16401779
Neither is "more important", you have to learn everything. For TK, though, it doesn't matter. Its point is to teach you grammar, not vocabulary. Whether or not you learn the vocabulary it uses is irrelevant, as long as you understand the grammar concepts.
>>
>>16401787
Of course I'll try to learn everything eventually. I'm just curious what the easiest way to climb/learn is. I guess I'll keep going through Tae Kim since I'm not sure what else to do. I still haven't figured out English words in Katakana, but I guess that comes with time.

I know there's Aniki, but that's clearly too advanced for me.
>>
>>16401803
>I know there's Aniki, but that's clearly too advanced for me.
What?
Read the guide.
>>
>>16401803
There is none, every route is hard. The easiest way is learning discipline and doing something every single day for a few hours.
And if you mean Anki there is nothing advanced about it, it's a flash card program. You use it the day you start learning Japanese.

Both of your questions were extremely retarded and answered in the guide, by the way. If you're gonna continue displaying behavior like this I recommend heading over to /int/.
>>
>>16401814
>>16401823
I've read it several times. Not sure why the simple question "is starting out learning kanji or vocabulary easier for a beginner" question was so offensive to you.
>>
>>16401830
Read the guide.
>>
>>16401830
Because it's a typical "I didn't read the guide" question. Kanji vs vocab is DJT's Coke vs Pepsi, you're not gonna get a straight answer. My suggestion: try learning vocab from the Core2k deck, if your retention is under 75% do a kanji book.
>>
>>16401846
Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into that.
>>
>>16401779
Learning the words is more important. What you are trying to say determines what Kanji you use. Knowing a bunch of Kanji can fuck you up if you pick up a word without realizing how to use it or that there is a much more common expression for the idea.
>>
Is there any difference between 雰囲気(ふんいき)and 雰囲気(ふいんき)? Or is it like aluminium and aluminum?
>>
>>16401862
no
>>
>>16401862
one is a mispronunciation
>>
>>16401876
please do not give people help if you don't know what you're talking about, thanks
>>
>>16401882
please do not try to lecture me if you don't know what you're talking about, thanks
>>
>>16401889
>>Are X and Y different? Or are they like A and B?
>no
gee, I wonder what anon is saying
ふいんき is a mispronunciation, saying "no" in response to whether they're different is objectively wrong
>>
>>16401846
Is there an anti deck for kanji?
>>
File: fuck-unihan.png (17KB, 154x408px) Image search: [Google]
fuck-unihan.png
17KB, 154x408px
Does anyone know a good ming font that would look the same way Yu Mincho does, but with 示 looking like 礻?

Pic related, red is Yu Mincho, blue is SimSun. I can't use SimSun, because I don't want characters like 今 to look Chinese, I just want shit like 禪 and 榊 to have the 礻 with the upper stroke being a line.

Also, I don't care about the compatibility ideographs, they can stay with 示 (like the last row on the pic).

For clarity: 今禪榊祖祖
>>
>>16401898
>I just want shit like 禪 and 榊 to have the 礻 with the upper stroke being a line.
But why? Rendering 禪 with a 礻 is objectively wrong.
>>
Anyone have any specific suggestions for things to listen to in japanese, and maybe some links.
>>
>>16401896
But they aren't different
>>
>>16401907
they are and you're wrong
>>
>>16401907
They're as different as nuclear and nucular, which is "very".
>>
>>16401904
>But why? Rendering 禪 with a 礻 is objectively wrong.
That's how I write them on paper.
>>
>>16401909
>>16401914
I don't know what your point is
Even if they're mispronunciations they still hold the same meaning
>>
>>16401917
then you write them wrong
>>
>>16401919
Anon didn't ask whether they mean the same thing. Anon asked, literally, whether there was "any difference" between the two. "no" is an unacceptable answer to that question. You can elaborate on what the exact difference is but you cannot say there is none.
>>
>>16401922
Why?
>>
>>16401928
shinjitai simplifications only apply to old shinjitai kanji, and none others
rendering 禪 with a 礻 was a mistake made by JIS to certain kanji when deigning reference glyphs for display fonts before 2004
>>
>>16401926
>but you cannot say there is none.
Yeah I can, and you cannot prove me wrong
>>
>>16401906
dlsite has erotic audio stories for sale. Non-erotic ones too. They tell interesting stories sometimes. There is a decently sized community around this, google around.
>>
>>16401940
You can't and I can because there is objectively a trivial difference that proves "there is no difference" wrong.
>>
>>16401928
>>16401936
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS_X_0213#JIS_X_0213:2004.E3.81.AE.E6.94.B9.E6.AD.A3
>>
File: kakuji-cropped-small.jpg (78KB, 638x313px) Image search: [Google]
kakuji-cropped-small.jpg
78KB, 638x313px
>>16401936
And 礻 replaced 示 because it's a shorthand for writing.
>>
>>16401942
If that "trivial difference" is the pronunciation, that was obvious from the start and there was no point in pointing that out.
>>
>>16401957
shorthand is shorthand, writing is writing
>>
>>16401959
>If that "trivial difference" is the pronunciation
it's not the pronunciation, it's the fact that one of the pronunciations is Literally Wrong, as can be divined from literally any reputable dictionary
>>
File: 1484091909252.png (162KB, 267x338px) Image search: [Google]
1484091909252.png
162KB, 267x338px
>>16401968
>it's not the pronunciation, it's the pronunciation
>>
>>16401976
what the pronunciation is != the properties the pronunciation has
when a character says ふいんき, that says completely different things about the character than if they say ふんいき
this directly affects the meaning of the material you're reading. there is necessarily a difference outside of just the technical order of the kana in the pronunciation
>>
Hey, DoJG-kun. If you're reading this, I found some broken note links.
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/IntermediateRelative%20Clause.png
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/IntermediateRhetorical%20Question.png
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/IntermediateVmasu.png
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/IntermediateVmasu%20as%20a%20Noun.png
>>
File: xano.png (12KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
xano.png
12KB, 640x400px
>>16401898
Xano Mincho renders 榊 with a 礻, but 禪 stays the way it is. Probably all traditional forms will comply to 0213.

I guess it's better than your Ming if you want to just render characters in actual use without those nasty 示s.
>>
>>16401612
Personally I got into AKB48 variety shows and just spread out from there.

There are plenty of idol radio shows you can listen too as well, usually fairly easy to listen to.
>>
>>16402108
>>16388812
Quote the OP when you do that, or so I heard some guide-anon say a while ago.
>>
>>16402119
Ah, okay. Will keep that in mind in the future.
>>
>Buy a nice comfy physical LN
>Cover ends up getting completely fucked because I have to hold it open for so long to read it

It hurts
>>
>>16402276
Can always buy two copies like real otaku.
>>
>>16402276
Sounds like a really annoying way to read.
>>
>>16402276
Funny enough I was about to ask about leather covers to buy to read LN/manga without damaging them, or in case I need to read in front of others without them seeing the cover arts of what I'm reading. Surely it exists somewhere, right?
>>
>>16402317
Yep, they're all over amazon jp
>>
>>16402317
>or in case I need to read in front of others without them seeing the cover arts of what I'm reading
Take the cover off? It's usually just a piece of paper, there's a two-color-patterned actual cover underneath. That's how I do it when I'm in a train, don't want people to give me strange looks.
>>
>>16402328
I'll look.

>>16402338
That doesn't solve the "I want to protect my books" part though.
>>
>>16401735
正式って?
wealthはより適当かもね
>>
>>16402350
I usually keep an LN I'm reading in my headphones' sleeve, just taking it out when I want to read it. The only way I can damage it would be by dropping it or spilling something on it. Never happened to me though.
>>
I was reading untranslated manga last night and I started noticing that I naturally knew a lot of the verbs being used but I never ever studied them

So this is the power of compelling content.
>>
>>16402411
Of course you would, the pictures you're looking at tell you. Is every manga watcher this stupid?
>>
So Japanese might finally be released on Duolingo this weekend (after being promised for 3-4 years). Any expectations? I've never used the site. Years ago I held off on learning Japanese because I was waiting for the course, but it never came. So I finally started learning last month through other means.
>>
>>16402423
Gonna be mediocre for the same reasons lingq is for japanese.
>>
麿
>>
>>16402423
Duolingo is the equivalent of reading Tae Kim. It's just a launching pad and won't actually teach you the language.
>>
>>16402420
Are you ever sleeping?
>>
>致命傷はない。
>だが、生きてはいけまい。
Help me understand the nuance of まい. Is it "can't go on living (like this)" here? Or is it like いけない and "no use to go on living". Or something else?
>>
>>16402524
Equivalent to 生きてはいけないだろう.
>>
>>16402437
Majikoi?
>>
>>16402423
Duolingo is a worse version of Rosetta Stone.
>>
>>16402718
Aren't they completely different?
>>
>>16402423
FUCK THAT SHIT, I HAVE JUST STARTED DUOLINGO IN ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE SPEAKERS.

How am I supposed to juggle this shit now? I can't drop it halfway through.
>>
>>16402817
They have a lot of similarities.

Pros for Duolingo:
Comment section where other users explain grammar to you, because Duolingo doesn't
"Gamification" if you are the kind of person who likes that shit

Pros for Rosetta Stone:
Native audio instead of awful computer voices that mispronounce everything
>>
>Duolingo.
>Rosetta Stone.
This generals have fallen low.
>>
>>16402888
No one is actually recommending that garbage.
>>
>>16402888
You should go through the English courses sometime, anon.

>>16402893
I think it's unfair to say it's bad before we know what it's like.
>>
What's wrong with Rosetta Stone?
>>
>>16402902
At least my japanese is better than yours :^).
>>
File: ass.jpg (56KB, 344x505px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
56KB, 344x505px
胡桃
胡椒
胡散
胡麻
胡坐
胡瓜
>>
>>16403469
I don't see the problem
>>
>>16403469
The amount of times I get 胡麻 胡座 and 胡桃 mixed up in my mined deck is astounding

I could just spend 5 minutes focusing on them and it would solve the problem but I'm too lazy
>>
>>16403505
Damn even just writing that comment caused my to realise that 胡座 has fucking 座る in, 胡麻 has the 麻 from 大麻 and 胡桃 is くるみ by process of elimination, hopefully I'll stop fucking them up now

Goes to show how useless anki is if you just mindlessly do it
>>
>>16403469
さいごいがいはわかった

さいごなんだっけ。でもたぶん瓜だから食べ物

ねいてぃぶでもわからないことくらいある
>>
>>16403517
座 is sit/seat.
麻 is the hemp radical.
桃 is peach.

All of those are learned very early on. Kinda unforgivable to mix them up.
>>
Why did Anki decide to, instead of adding the 20 new cards from yesterday to the review pile of the Core deck, move them to the Default deck?
>>
>>16403634
Yeah I learnt those kanji like 2 years ago I just never bothered actually closely looking at the words in anki because I'm a lazy cunt
>>
>>16403469
>>16403548
キュウリはそうかいていた時代があったのね

ここ12年でキュウチを胡瓜ってかいてつかってるのは

みたことないよ

がんばるなおにいちゃん
>>
>>16402924
Literally everything.
>>
>>16400944
>(i'm assuming you aren't like 30+ old)
What did you mean by this? I'm pretty sure a 30 year old can learn just as well as a 20 year old.
t. wizard
>>
>>16404016
30 was pulled out of my ass but as we all know language learning drops off with age, obviously missing out on the critical age is the biggest drop off but surely as time goes on you learn slower and less efficiently

a 30 year old probably would learn slower than a 20 year old
>>
Does 少ない have to be used with a negative like あまり? Would the following make sense?

>少ないプレゼントを買いました。

can だけ be used after プレセント i'm not totally sure on it's usage yet
>>
>>16404201
おにいちゃん

>ささやかな

これをつかうといいんじゃないかなあとおもうよ
>>
post いもうとがな
>>
>>16404189
>we all know language learning drops off with age
Not enough to be an excuse for not learning a language
>>
>Umineko in particular is a text that even Japanese people can have difficulty reading.
Is this true?
I'm quoting Ryukishi07.
>>
File: 1481190387700.jpg (15KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481190387700.jpg
15KB, 360x480px
>>16404016
>>16404189
>>16404403
started this when i was 29, just hit 30
the only feeling is not failing to learn but regret of not starting sooner
>>
>>16404561
私は三十五歳だ。 won't let that stop me.
>>
>>16403696
You're just stupid if you don't notice them.
>>
>>16404548
No. r07 is a terrible writer who's butthurt that his self-contradictory text is hard to draw conclusions from without reading spoilers.
>>
>>16404201
少ない has an inherent negative meaning, like "hardly at all" or "not enough". The sentence you made doesn't make sense. What do you want to get across?
>>
File: g1GLmB2.jpg (36KB, 447x483px) Image search: [Google]
g1GLmB2.jpg
36KB, 447x483px
Alright, who else knows that feel of going beyond comprehending just the most basic of sentences?

After finally powering through verb tense, conjugations, clauses, and particles, I'm finally starting to understand some fuller sentences people have written.

I've just started reading japanese tweets currently, still have a lot of vocabulary to learn clearly.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-13-12-31-29.png (151KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-13-12-31-29.png
151KB, 720x1280px
なに the fuck
>>
>ついでに、満ダン頼む。
Context: gas station.
What does 満ダン mean? Full tank?
>>
This might be a wasted effort but I'm a second year Japanese student who has their midterm in two days. We have to compose a sakubun on one of three subjects and one of them is "Things to be careful of whilst travelling".
Can anybody here who's better than me in Japanese offer up any corrections? I'm still confused about whether or not you can use imperative form like this in written pieces. I'm trying to squeeze in as many grammar points as I can under the 400ji limit.

旅行する時は、気をつけるべきことがたくさんあります。

あなたの体は健康かもしれないと思っても、出発する前に医者へ行かないなければなりません。

旅行している国の言語を学ぶことが重要です。

いる国の言語を毎日使って試してみる。

ホテルを探して予約します。

旅行を始める前に、十分なお金を引き出すのを忘れないで。

未知な国は時々危ないことがあるから、見知らぬ所に行かないで、そして友達といつも旅行する方がいいです。

危険な居酒屋に一人で入らないでくださいで、でもお酒を飲んでいるなら、酒を見守なさいで。

旅行国の緊急番号を調べておいて、携帯電話をいつも持ちます。

常に奇妙な人には注意する。

しかしながら迷ったら、近くの人に助けを求めますが、決して一緒に行かないで。
>>
>>16405218
にほんへの旅行では危険なことは

起こらないし

ひとりでも十分

お金と携帯電話は要る
>>
>>16405218
>I'm still confused about whether or not you can use imperative form like this in written pieces.
Generally, in instructions and such, you use verbこと.
ちゃんと歯磨きしろ。
ちゃんと歯磨きすること。
>>
>>16405209
Nevermind, figured it out.

For anyone wondering, it's actually 満タン, and タン stands for タンク, so yeah, full tank.
>>
>>16405227
Yeah I still get stuck on conceptualising koto. I don't suppose you can tell me if there's anything immediately wrong with my piece can you? I had it corrected on lang-8 but I need a non-native, or at least fluent English opinion. If I fuck this up I can't go to Hokudai next year.
>>
>>16405218
Lots of plain/polite verb form inconsistencies, also your conditional in the second line is wrong. I would also suggest doing this >>16405227 (see DoIJG "imperative form" entry notes: https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/intermediate/IntermediateImperative.png)
>>
>>16405238
I'm really sorry to ask but you could point out the inconsistencies? I have something like 200 kanji and 40 different grammar points and then approx. 1000 vocabulary I'm studying right now and my head is a mess. I can't think straight and the mistakes aren't jumping out at me. I don't want to fail but I can't stop panicking.
>>
>>16405236
まんたんは

えいごではFull tankでつうじるの?
>>
>>16405246
> you could point out the inconsistencies?
Or you could just look at the sentences and see that some of them end in です・ます and others don't.

>>16405227
That's a bit firm imo and also i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be used for instructions for say, how to construct your ikea desk.
>>
>>16405283
Can you not end a sentence in nai de as a request? Do you have to add kudasai at the end? Sorry, we only learned this conjugation on Monday and I'm still not sure how to use it in writing.
>>
>>16405283
Ah I just saw I used plain form for two sentence closings. All not sure how to use nai de correctly though.
>>
>>16405289
You can. In 〜て and 〜ないで, the ください is implied, but that's rather informal. Also, don't do this:
>入らないでくださいで
The で after ください is wrong because of what I explained above.
>>
>>16405204
What? It's the Japanese version of eeny meeny minie moe.
>>
>>16405289
If you're trying to consistently use polite language then yeah you need ください
Personally I would probably use polite form for full sentences and explanations, and either >>16405227
or plain form with no command (just like 常に腕時計をつける)for the suggestions since it's kind of like a list. Or just find some japanese clickbait that has some suggestions and copy what they do
>>
それ以上でもそれ以下でもないわ
Is this like "Nothing more, nothing less"?
>>
>>16405289
See here's some random clickbait
https://pan-pan.co/detail/74566
>決断力がある
>外見に気を遣う
but polite for the explanations
>>
>>16405313
>>16405304

Okay, I wasn't sure because slapping kudasai at the end of every sentence felt a bit robotic, but then I guess Japanese can be a bit like that. There's such a world of difference between written and casual spoken Japanese, you really have to train yourself to stop thinking in English grammatic systems. Thank you so much for your help and sorry for typing in romaji, on my phone.
>>
>>16405313
Wait, wait, wait, it's nai de just short for nai desu? The de isn't a particle, or it is?
My books don't explain this shit at all.
>>
>>16405324
>There's such a world of difference between written and casual spoken Japanese
I mean if you were to give advice to someone directly 1:1 you would end up with a similar list both written and spoken.
What makes spoken language different from written language usually is that you express more simple ideas in spoken language because dialogue needs to move fast.
>>
>>16405259
そうだよ
>>
>>16405356
じゃあ

>げんきまんたん

はえいごでなんていうの?
>>
>>16405320
Yes.
>>
>>16404272
いもうとがなのぽすとを

たいていよまない
>>
>>16405371
ごめんね
自動車の話だと思っていた
その場合はenergeticとかlivelyとかfull of energyがいい
と思う
>>
>>16405389
>On a related note, does anyone know of any Japanese sites where I can see reviews or literary essays or thoughts and feelings and discussion on certain books? Now would be a good time to post them.
I don't use it, but supposedly bookmeter is a good one for book reviews.
>>
>>16405389
Bookmeter, they don't even have a ratings system to encourage everyone to read and post 感想 instead.
>>
>>16405377
おにいちゃんのえっち
>>
〇〇になる
〇〇となる
違いがありますなのか
>>
>>16404827
Because wanting to get through anki as fast as possible so I can actually read some shit = stupid
>>
>>16405562
となる

こっちは見た目がかわるときに使いたいなあとおもうよ

がんばれおにいちゃん
>>
>>16405334
I was going to answer your question, but then I realized I had no idea myself. Turns out the etymology of ないで is more confusing than it looks: http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3220
>>
>>16405334
In common usage in modern times, ないで is a negative imperative - that is "don't (do something)".
>>
Been studying for almost three years, just now learned that typing かおもじ and hitting space a bunch in google ide gives a fuckton of emoji
Thread posts: 608
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.