[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Europeans fear small talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: photo_2914_landscape_650x433.jpg (258KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2914_landscape_650x433.jpg
258KB, 650x433px
So according to various testimonials I have seen on both /int/ and /pol/ it seems that one of the most grievous sins that american tourists commit that vexes europeans is our habit of saying "hello" and making small talk with strangers.
Based on these accounts it seems like this is considered rude and possibly even a form of violence.
How do euros even function if they can't even talk to each other?
>>
File: 1489062242124.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1489062242124.png
8KB, 420x420px
>>75550637
>according to various testimonials I have seen on both /int/ and /pol/
>>
>>75550750

the means "the entire world" for him.
>>
>>75550637
how I am today is none of your business

my right to privacy SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
>>75550825
>>75550750
If you feel it isn't reflective of reality, feel free to say so.
>>
>go to your job in europe
>total stranger (american tourist) wants to invade your private space and talk to you
Americans should be murdered
>>
>>75551065

what's being posted in a brazilian tropical fish Aquarium utilities forum never is reflective of reality.
>>
>>75551065
We're talking about 4chan users here. Literal autists.
>>
>>75550637
you mean like talking about the weather?
>>
>>75552816
>>75552413
Fair enough, it sounded pretty ridiculous.
>>75552880
Yes that is an example, just being polite and acknowledging the person who you are in the presence of, simple pleasantries.
>>
>>75552816 >>75550637
also it's bit true but we're just not used to it. People just mind their own business. Small talk with strangers is a bit unusual, especially in cities
>>
>>75553091
>Yes that is an example, just being polite and acknowledging the person who you are in the presence of, simple pleasantries.
Why the fuck would yoy do that?
Dont you realize that it would be more polite to just leave that person alone
Dont you realize that the person whose day you are interrupting probably dosent want to talk to some fat faggot?
How dense are you?
>>
>>75553220
Over here there are certain unspoken rules about it.
For example it would be weird to suddenly start talking about the weather or something equally banal to someone that you passed on a busy footpath but if you say got into an elevator with one other person in it and didn't say hello it would make the situation awkward./
I guess it could be explained as the the fewer people and the closer the proximity to them the greater the odds are that you should make light small talk to break the tension.
>>
>>75553282
>Dont you realize that it would be more polite to just leave that person alone
The assumption is that standing in absolute silence in close proximity to somebody is considered creepy so by at least mutually acknowledging each others presence it alleviates some of the tension in the situation.
Now if somebody came up to you as a stranger and started trying to have a long drawn out conversation they would be seen as some kind of nut.
>>
>>75551065
See this is why Trump is our president
>>
>>75553471
This happens in my village everyday but almost never in town
>>
>>75553091
It is strange in cities but common on the countryside. If you really want good result you should try this in the language of the country you're visiting. You can't expect eg. a French countryside peasant to know fluent English to talk to you, but if you would have learn enough of French and make an effort he'll adore you.
>>
>>75550637
>it seems like this is considered rude and possibly even a form of violence
It's just that it isn't that common. I had an american exchange student just start talking to me in the tram. It was cool but a bit unexpected, I probably looked like a sperg.
>>
>>75555555
>>
>>75550637
We talk to each other about our mental health, our families, our jobs, our sons, daughters, wives and husbands. We talk to each other about meaningful events and who is to blame, we talk to each other about purpose and meaning, about what angers and what makes us happy. To talk about the weather with someone? That really is a fucking insult. What am I to you? Google voice or something?
>>
>>75553616
Why are you afraid of silence? Do you not like yourself or something?
>>
>>75550637
Once in a grocery store an American noticed my Kansas City cap. I told him I had bought the cap because the team had won the championship and I liked the design. He told me he was from Kansas. He wished me well and I wished him well. I was a little afraid during the conversation because I thought it was weird that I have the nice blue cap without being a fan.
>>
>>75555913
It makes it seem like you are trying to creep up on someone.
>>
>>75555841
You're a cocksucking inbred fucking barbie doll looking faggot and deserved to be raped iceland lmao fucking shitland what is there to do in iceland? Eat shit and fuck your mother?
>Look at me I'm from ICELAND the country a literally who country with less people than big cities but let me tell you that I feel greviously insulted because you mentioned the weather don't you know we glorious icelanders are a powerful race of fishers and sister fuckers? How dare you!
Hey I have a message for you Sven Spermdrinkinson - go fuck yourself.
>>
>>75557298
People talk when they are silent mate, more so then when they talk. You're not creeping on anyone, you're just afraid of intimacy. Fuck America.

>>75557560
Fuck you kurwa vodka drinker go scrub toilet (i'm not icelandic I'm magyar).
>>
>>75557614
Fucking go back to Asia.
>>
i greet people who live/work in the same building
or old people if they initiate the conversation

but not some american tourists when i'm around the city, why should i when they will just whine on 4chan/reddit/tripadvisor/flyertalk "waah europeans are autists" ayway
>>
File: 1444337085533.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1444337085533.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>Say hello to a European
>He starts CRYING
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.