[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1856

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 60

File: dekinaiface.jpg (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dekinaiface.jpg
675KB, 1920x1080px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Last Thread:
>>74980454
>>
File: gold_room.jpg (31KB, 534x300px) Image search: [Google]
gold_room.jpg
31KB, 534x300px
Jerusalem shel zahav
>>
File: 1455317681090.png (182KB, 288x430px) Image search: [Google]
1455317681090.png
182KB, 288x430px
The only thing you can do to fight laziness is form habits and just make the rational decision to do the goddamn work. Worst case scenario, you barely do any new anki cards and have to wait years before you're good. If you learn 5 kanji-vocabulary a day, you'll know 3,000 kanji in less than 2 years, and would have barely spent time studying. Obviously this is suboptimal but you can be a lazy shit and still do it.

Another thing would be to force yourself to read manga in Japanese. That's what I'm trying to do and it's ridiculously helpful. Reading practice is the most important thing to do while learning Japanese. If you do nothing but anki for 100 years you will never learn Japanese. Try reading a single chapter or something a day and build up as time goes on. Do *not* rely on motivation. Just make a schedule and stick with it. If you can't do that, sorry, but you really can't learn Japanese.
>>
Any good elementary school level manga? I'm talking grade 1-4 or so. Very basic.
>>
>75057946
>Why do you call ぬ a verb when it appears to be a suffix?
Because I prefer to use Japanese grammatical terms for the sake of preciseness. Especially in classical Japanese I believe they are necessary for understanding the grammar properly.
"Auxiliary verb" is a direct translation of 助動詞, which is one of the four kinds of inflected words in Japanese alongside 動詞, true verbs, 形容詞, i-adjectives, and 形容動詞, na-adjectives.
In modern Japanese, things like past-tense ~た, negative ~ない (when attached to verbs), passive (ら)れる, causative (さ)せる are all auxiliary verbs.

>I thought 連用形 is supposed to go before the noun it refers to. Like 差し込んだ日差し、泣きじゃくった少女. Not after.
In your examples, 差し, 込ん, 泣き, (し)ゃくっ are 動詞 conjugated into the 連用形 (which you might call verb stem, masu-stem, root, continuative form, etc.). た/だ is a 助動詞 conjugated into the 連体形, which is the form that comes before the noun or nominal that it modifies. In 来ぬ, 来(き) is in the 連用形 and ぬ is in the 終止形. The general function of the 連用形 is to attach to certain auxiliary verbs (like ぬ or た), to other verbs as an adverb (like 差し and 泣き in your examples), or even to whole phrases (a process called 中止法).
>>
>>75067410
Yotsuba
>>
>>75057946
>After some googling, it looks like only Haruo Srirane uses this term. Why "bound"? [...] Is it [...] just another emphatic particle from the same group as wa, sa, yo?
Haruo Shirane's "Classical Japanese: A Grammar" is where my studies into 文語 began and I highly recommend it if you have the patience. The English terms he uses are all direct translations of Japanese grammatical terms, and learning them can improve your understanding of modern Japanese as well, in my opinion.
From his book:
>Bound particles (係助詞) add meaning primarily by emphasizing, interrogating, or posing a rhetorical question. A major characteristic of bound particles is that they modify the predicate and are "bound" at the end of the sentence.
In classical Japanese, except for the so-called "topic particle" は and the addition particle も, which are bound to the 終止形 and therefore do not change the ending of the sentence, 係助詞 are bound to a certain conjugation and change the form of the predicate (a process called 係り結び). The emphatic particles ぞ and なむ, as well as the doubting/rhetorical particles か and や, are bound at the end to the 連体形. The particle こそ, which is even more emphatic than ぞ or なむ, is bound to the 已然形.
In modern Japanese, the bound particles は, も, and こそ still exist, as well as others, but 係り結び has dropped out of the language and no longer occurs. The bound particle しか might be thought of as "bound" to the negative form at the end of the sentence, but this is not technically the same since ~ない is an auxiliary verb/adjective and not a form of conjugation like 連体形 or 已然形.
わ and よ are 終助詞, final or sentence-ending particles, and さ is a 終助詞 or 間投助詞 (interjectory particle) depending on how it is used. These are separate from 係助詞. ぞ has become a 終助詞 in modern Japanese, though.
>>
>>75067497
Other categories of particle include:
格助詞 (case particles) like が, を, に, と
副助詞 (adverbial particles) like だけ, ほど, まで, さえ
接続助詞 (conjunctive particles) like から, けど, ば, て
>>
how is /int/ DJT still going?
I thought you all would have migrated to /jp/ by now
>>
>>75067539
/int/ DJT serves a different purpose. This is the Yotsuba questions thread while /jp/ DJT is the anki assistance thread.
>>
>>75067595
fuck off pls
>>
>>75067595
I prefer anonimity over a circle jerk
>>
>>75067730
That excuse might pass on /a/ or /jp/ but with flags /int/ really isn't anonymous at all, if anything the discord where half the people are named "anon" is more anonymous than it.
>>
>>75067539
>/jp/
autistic screeching and hateful people
>>
go away imabi
>>
>>75067595
It wouldn't hurt to incorporate the discord link into the generic op text, would it?
>>
>>75064475
This might be a dumb question, but what's the function of the 「ご」in 「ご挨拶」?
>>
>>75071856
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/honorific

see Honorific and Humble Conjugations
>>
What kind of responses do you usually get when you tell people you are learning Japanese?
>>
>>75072112
>telling people you are learning Japanese
>>
>>75072112

Only a coworker and some family members know (family think I'm learning Chinese). My coworker is going to Japan soon so he's pretty supportive. Everyone else doesn't care which is fine by me.
>>
>>75072112
Oh you're learning Japanese! Sugoï!!!
konnichiwa!!
>>
>>75072112
Learning japanese doesn't have a good rep for obvious reasons.
>>
>>75075725
There are more weebs in France than people who dislike weebs.

Everyone else seem to envision Japan as a big collection of temples and 鹿威し.
That's my experience at least.
I used to think Japanese had a pretty bad rep too, but I've been told on several
occasions to write on my resume that I was learning it.
A math teacher also told me to talk about it during job interviews, though I couldn't bring myself to.

I'd assume it's got a pretty good rep actually.
>>
File: 552908210.png (106KB, 427x480px) Image search: [Google]
552908210.png
106KB, 427x480px
>>75064982
がんばります!
>>
File: 1479885368239.jpg (73KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
1479885368239.jpg
73KB, 960x864px
>>75072112
Woah, really? You're crazy, man! Hahaha! Why Japanese, though?

Then:
Say something in Japanese!
or
How is THIS called in Japanese?
or
Oh yeah, what are some Japanese food?

I also have a friend who, whenever I say "yesterday I learned a word for X in Japanese", will ask me "what is it?" As if she knew any Japanese and that knowledge would be helpful. I just want to tell a story related to me learning that word, but I always get this question before I'm able to.
>>
>>75067453
>I thought 連用形 is supposed to go before the noun it refers to. Like 差し込んだ日差し、泣きじゃくった少女. Not after.
Forget about it. It appears I wasn't quite awake at the moment and peceived 連用形 as 連体形. Hence this misguided question.
Apart from that, I'm not yet quite clear on how ぞ affects the predicate verb. Simply adds る? What does this whole structure add to the meaning of a sentence? What connotation would that sentence lose without it?
>秋来ぬと目にはさやかに見えねども風の音にぞおどかれぬる
>>
>>75076311
That's still a pretty impressive feat especially if you have a decent level and a N1 or N2 to show up for it.
>>
それを聞いた兵士達が笑い出そうとした時、轟音が響いた。

Minor question here, but still curious: would it be "before they burst into laughter, there was a roaring sound", as in, the burst into laughter hadn't happened yet? I'm pretty sure that is it, but I just want to make sure. The official translation messes with the original text, so it's no help.
>>
>>75077455
>風の音に おどかれぬ
I am surprised at the sound of the wind.
>風の音にぞ おどかれぬる
It is the sound of the wind at which I am surprised!

ぞ marks the preceding word/phrase for emphasis (which I translate as an exclamation point), and "binds" it as a special condition that the predicate applies to.
This is similar to how は binds things to the predicate:
>お金がある
I have money.
>お金はある
As for money, I have it (but I might not have something else)
ぞ has an emphatic meaning instead of the comparative/contrastive meaning of は, but the process is similar:
>音が聞こゆ
A sound can be heard.
>音ぞ聞こゆる
A SOUND can definitely be heard!
It takes the focus away from the predicate and onto the word/phrase that it marks.

The sentence ending in the 連体形 gives it an explanatory/descriptive overtone, and when you use ぞ the sentence NEEDS to end in that form, similar to how the sentence NEEDS to end in a negative when you use しか, just because that's how the particle is used. I don't know how to explain it any better than that.
>>
File: スイキョウ.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
スイキョウ.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
新言葉ゲット!
ところで、酔狂と粋狂の中、どっちがいいですか?
>>
>>75070121
I would welcome the posters of this thread at >>>/qa/ personally. I think if we get a /djt/ going there that would improve the board quality a lot. And there is no spammer there. Beware the lack of moderation through.
>>
>>75083430
Isn't that a metaboard that got turned into softcore /b/ because mods don't give a fuck?
>>
>>75083700
It is basically /jp/'s spinoffs wandering back to the site.
>>
>>75083700
There is an IRC post from the official 4chan public channel with some anon asking the mods to moderate /qa/ and the mod telling the anon to basically fuck off, that it isn't a board they care about.
>>
>>75079615
なにかの面白い話→轟音→兵士の笑い声(not yet)
>>
>>75072112
I don't tell people unless they explicitly ask me about hobbies and shit

either this >>75074511 this >>75075725
>Say something in Japanese!
or this>>75077174
>>
So why do people that speak a language so reliant on context need a particle to be able to realize something is an explanation?
>>
>>75088124
It's not reliant on context.
>>
>>75085280

Got it, thank you.
>>
>>75083104
普通は"酔狂"
でも"粋狂"は結構粋だな。
>>
File: 1495331077048.jpg (238KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1495331077048.jpg
238KB, 1440x810px
>kimi ni wa
>no verb to work with the ni
Is something after the wa particle modifying the kimi ? What is the ni there for?
>>
>>75090225
君に fits into the statement somewhere but nobody cares where and it might even be ungrammatical to do so with words
>>
File: bb.png (64KB, 303x208px) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
64KB, 303x208px
Started reading yotsuba, have to keep referencing grammar guides and looking up words I don't know/forgot (which is good I suppose since it reinforces stuff) but this bubble is extremely confusing for me:

>どこってそりゃおまえ

I've already googled it to see that it means something like "What do you mean 'where'?", I can't really figure it out for myself though. My translation is something like: "That is 'here', you" which makes no sense

According to TK the casual usage of って sometimes leaves out a bunch of particles. Is that the case here?
>>
>>75090458
I think the って here is being used as a quote like What do you mean "where"
>>
>>75090458
In this instance って is directly quoting どこ、as said by よつば. そりゃ is それは.
Have you seen the よつばと! Reading Pack? Try it out, you may find it useful:
https://my.mixtape.moe/ognetd.zip
>>
>>75090835
So basically the sore refers to Yotsuba?
The sentence would be 「"Where?" That is you」That is you meaning she is the one who said that? It doesn't make a lot of since how the translation would be "What do you mean where", especially since there doesn't seem to be any indication he is questioning her, it just seems like he's making a statement.
>>
>>75091066
Help
>>
>>75091066
The それ is referring to the answer to Yotsuba's question. The おまえ literally means "you" and is an expression of exasperation, like, "You absolute twat."
>>
Does anyone know if you can you use the Japanese to English dictionary for books converted from epub to mobi on a kindle?
>>
>>75092226
They have to be sent to Amazon's cloud service to be processed into their DRM, don't they? If properly converted into a mobi, the resultant azw3 kindle file should have no problems with the J-E dictionary.
For reference, this is the paperwhite series on kindles we are talking about, right?
>>
>>75092274
Yeah I'd be using a paperwhite. Does my kindle need to be connected to the internet to use the dictionary, or can I use it on the go?
>>
>>75090458
I think of it like "'Where?' You mean you don't... [even realize that we're moving?]"
Like maybe 「どこ」って? それはお前・・・(気づいてないのか?)
Yotsuba& has lots of casual expressions like this and isn't as beginner-friendly as some people would have you believe, unless maybe you've watched a lot of anime and can kind of hear how they're intoning things as you read.
>>
>>75092437
the kindle downloads the dictionary initially, should be able to use on the go

the hard part is getting the kindle books to actually recognize the words - unless it's a book directly from amazon it will often try to parse THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH as one word.
>>
>>75092437
Sorry about the late reply. No, the dictionary is downloaded and stored locally. You can look up words online using it, but that's only for wikipedia and goo/yahoo (from memory). The online aspect is only for the first time you open a book and the dictionary is prompted to download.
>>
>>75092594
>unless it's a book directly from amazon it will often try to parse THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH as one word.
This is incorrect. All of the azw3 files in the CoR should work properly, as they were processed by Amazon. You can use Amazon's desktop app to send .mobi files and it will encrypt the book in their DRM and send it to your Kindle. From there you can either keep it like that or copy/remove it from the Kindle and remove the DRM with Calibre. Either way, if done properly it should have no issues.
There are two guides covering this process:
Aozora Bunko to Mobi:
pastebin.com/8cRxRcQu
Mobi to AZW3:
https://pastebin.com/qdaYzitJ
>>
What's the equivalent for "Wherein"

In an English sentence:
In case of a situation wherein I must leave, etc etc.

jisho.org gives me "その中" but the example sentences don't look right.
>>
>>75093416
there isn't one
>>
File: 14605313747280.jpg (58KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
14605313747280.jpg
58KB, 604x453px
>>75080900
Thanks a ton!
I guess I'll have to buy Haruo Shirane's book after all. Since I couldn't find a downloadable scan anywhere.
>>
File: oiqIjKR5X2k.jpg (136KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
oiqIjKR5X2k.jpg
136KB, 1200x800px
>>75070121
I concur.
/jp/'s DJT is a veritable hotbed of douchebaggery.
>>
I'm trying to write

"However, it is expected that not just that person moves so gently"

しかし、その人だけそれほどお手柔らかに動くはずだ。

I've been using google translate to check but it says that that would mean only that person should move gently.

Is my grammar wrong?
>>
>>75096383
Where did you get the "not"? I see no negation there.
>>
>音姫
>melody or flushing sound played by a Japanese toilet to mask excretion sounds

Is that a play on the "princesses don't poop"?
>>
>>75098842
>princesses don't poop
They do, but farting music while they are at it.
Like Blue Danube.
>>
When 中 gets appended to words to show that something is in progress, like saving game data, what reading does it take on?
>>
File: 1491675303516.jpg (36KB, 255x396px) Image search: [Google]
1491675303516.jpg
36KB, 255x396px
>>75098842
WHAT?

This machine makes no sense. If you poop on your own, there is a 50% chance you will silently dump your flotsams.
By using this you will automatically warn everyone you are shitting, so regardless of hearing it or not they will imagine you doing it.
>>
>>75099846
Chuu. I wish I knew the answer for some other frequent ones, like 後 and 前
>>
>>75100018
Thanks
>>
File: 1470819653844.jpg (115KB, 727x639px) Image search: [Google]
1470819653844.jpg
115KB, 727x639px
>>75099981
>they will imagine you doing it
What else can they possibly imagine of a person in a toilet?
>>
"呼吸するように勝利です"

What does this even mean? Like, the sentence structure is simple and I know all the words and what "you ni" does but still.
>>
>>75100145
If they can't hear you, they might not even know you're in the toilet.
But when you open Pandora's Boombox, even the postman will receive the poopsignal.
>>
萌豚 - もえぶた
声豚 - せいとん

Correct?
>>
>>75100292
It's saying that winning would be as easy as breathing.
>>
>>75102759
Ah, thanks! Only had the "in order to" meaning stuck in my head for the "you ni" part. Now that makes way more sense.
>>
>tfw it takes almost an hour to translate a page of yotsuba because of all the confusing slang and shortened casual versions of things i have to refresh my memory on
i won't give up
>>
File: 1492917068854.jpg (33KB, 338x362px) Image search: [Google]
1492917068854.jpg
33KB, 338x362px
What are you guys reading right now?
Just finished Kakegurui, quite dissapointed MC didnt fight the President yet.
>>
File: 花子と楓_002.png (711KB, 1047x1381px) Image search: [Google]
花子と楓_002.png
711KB, 1047x1381px
>>75105575
Re-reading through ゆるゆり.
>>
>>75104408
>yotsuba
Bad choice.
>>
>>75106673
>Bad choice.
What's a better choice? The only other one I hear recommended for beginners is Chi's Sweet Home but it sounds like it'd be annoying with the cat speak.
>>
>>75105575
この素晴らしい世界に祝福を!
It's pretty easy going so far.
>>
File: 一石二鳥.jpg (174KB, 797x599px) Image search: [Google]
一石二鳥.jpg
174KB, 797x599px
>>75107197
Also reminder that June tadoku is coming up very soon
>>
>>75106149
Heard good things about the anime. Is the manga good?
>>
>>75072343
>>75072551
>>75074511
>>75075725
>>75077174
Pretty sure people just think I'm a weeb, most can't relate to why I would and my Grandma is so disconnected from the east she thinks it's the same as Chinese and Korean.

If I do tell people I want to talk about though because I spend most of my free time practicing or just thinking about it so it's kind of frustrating. I'm inching towards just not telling people anymore.
>>
Would Ace Attorney be good for a beginner? Looking for a game with a ton of text. Ideally for younger kids.
>>
>>75107979

I mean, until you get fluent it's just a side hobby. You don't give a shit about what your friends and family do in their spare time do you?

Learn Japanese because you enjoy it, not to show off to other people.
>>
>>75108022
It has lawyer vocab, so if that doesn't put you off sure. The names are all puns too.

Script of the first game so you can dip a toe in:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Dice/7371/top.html
>>
>>75108113
>You don't give a shit about what your friends and family do in their spare time do you?
If it's important to them I do

I don't try to show off but I might come off that way
>>
>>75108299

Well the hardest part of doing something out of the ordinary is not that friends and family won't care. It's that they're lack of understanding makes it hard for them to talk about the topic with you.

I graduate with a bachelor's in computer science next semester. I can't talk programming with my family. They're more concerned about who I work for and how much money I make. It sucks, but that's just how it is sometimes.
>>
>>75106996
From experience manga is really bad to start out for the reason you mentioned earlier. You won't progress reading manga.
What I did was going through easy light novels with a dictionary.

>>75107979
I actually told people I read Japanese at a job interview and they liked it. Just don't act like a weirdo and the weeaboo shit won't even cross their minds.
>>
>>75108896
I was under the impression that you would pick up conversational Japanese better from manga, maybe I'm wrong though, I haven't started reading yet.

>Just don't act like a weirdo
Hahaha

>>75108596
It has made me more conscious to listen to people when they want to talk about their hobbies.
>>
>>75108596
Well, then don't talk programming.
Talk about interesting shit like how it has not been proven so far that humans are capable of performing tasks that computers are not able to perform.
If you have taken ANY lectures on computability, you can do that. Turing Machine etc.

It's trivial to say something interesting relating to CS, that everyone can try to understand.
Maybe attempt to get them thinking about P!=NP. The more people think about it, the better.
>>
>>75109100
The Japanese found in manga is too quirky to be used in real life.
It will only slow your learning down.
The best is light novels. You have more dense text, a lot of furigana most of the time, and the sentences are simple and varied.
>>
>>75109572
What books did you read? I'm looking to start reading and don't mind a challenge. I don't particularly care much for manga either.
>>
>>75109727
To give you an idea I think the first one I read was 伝説の勇者の伝説. But the best is to pick one you like.
Should be challenging but not impossible.
>>
>>75108896
Any suggestions on easy light novels?
>>
Do you ever accidently speak in 日本語 instead of English?
>>
>>75109961
>>75110010
nvm I didn't see this post
>>
>>75108596
Delivery can help in this, however, and a willingness to include the listener in whatever topic you bring up.There's certainly is a limit, when it comes to jargon and all that.. but you can typically turn a layman into a rapt listener, if you can make your conversation resonate with them somehow. And speaking personally, I honestly couldn't blame my loved ones for not giving a shit about Japanese: I just as equally don't give a shit about Candy Crush, Marvel movies, etc.

>>75109100
Speaking of just entertainment media, if you really want to focus on conversational Japanese, Japanese television dramas or movies (with Japanese subtitles) are probably your best bet.
>>
>>75109572
Yeah google translate isn't great at translating manga so you should stick with light novels
>>
>>75110034
No
>>
>>75109961
Do you have any copies on hand to snap pictures of some random pages?

I'm reading the English translation of 銀河英雄伝説 but only 3/10 are translated and I wanted to try it out. It's supposed to be a light novel but it's very formal speech and heavy in politics, I wouldn't recommend it to an English learner as a light novel.

>>75110077
Do you have a suggestion on a drama? I'm also looking for popular songs to practice so I can participate in Kareoke one day.

Also that NP thing is kinda interesting, if you can dumb it down for people it's a neat topic.
Please don't compare Japanese to Candy Crush though.

>>75110034
Only if I'm with a Japanese native and English native do I do that. Otherwise it's easy to control.
>>
>>75110288
At that time I only downloaded books and I don't have it anymore.
All I can tell you is that it's simpler than 銀河英雄伝説.
>>
>>75110034
I accidentally THINK in Japanese ever so often.
But the same happens with English.

>>75110288
The fourth one comes next month, and if they keep the pace up, they will be done by summer 2020.
>>
>>75110497
Is it something that you would recommend to read? I own the first 3 so I was planning on using them as reference? I'm pretty familiar with the story.

>>75110496
I will look into it. I'd like to find it in physical copy though, just preference.
>>
>>75109409
>>75110077

Well I agree with both of you some people really hate talking about things out of their immediate understanding. My country bumpkin extended family really hate talking about technology and the other side just reply, you're so smart anon.

I can rope a few friends and relationship partners into a conversation, but that's it and that's fine. That's what I have coworkers and anonymous people on the internet for.
>>
How can I say "I will watch over the house" when I'm going to be checking on the house once a week?
I don't think I can use 留守番 because I'm only going to be checking once a week, I won't be in the house most of the time.
I don't think 家を見守りします fits either because when I google it I mostly get results about cameras, and I don't want to sound like I'll be staring at the house all day watching over it.
>>
>>75110288
There's all kinds of good dramas really. I finished watching one called 海よりもまだ深く last night; it's about a private investigator/unsuccessful author/divorcee with a slight gambling problem who is trying to stay connected to his son, and maybe also rekindle his former relationship. Anything like that.. real-life scenarios, realistic dialogue, etc. would do fine for practice. Just don't expect to pick up everything in your first watching if you're still new to Japanese; just have faith that you will, in time, completely understand it.

カラオケは, well for popular songs I know a various artists compilation series called 青春歌年鑑 which appears in various formats, but typically has like thirty big pop songs from each year, up to it looks like 1990. So like 青春歌年鑑 1974, 青春歌年鑑 1985, etc. Obviously you aren't going to be getting modern pop music from these, but some of these songs would still be recognizable to youth (just like the average American youth will probably know a Creedence Clearwater Revival song, or a Phil Collins song, or something).

If you want one in particular, try this one. Seeing a gaijin singing a famous graduation song would probably be highly entertaining/funny to the Japanese (hell, it might be kind of erotic for the women too, if you're any good at singing lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfIkFPvYWJg
>>
Is there any accessible edict2 dictionary out there that I can use offline on my PC? Forced to use phone net and it's running out
>>
>>75112247
>Europoors are on limited internet now
Pottery
>>
So should I be using outside material while reading through Tae Kim? I'm on the section just passed the katakana and Kanji is being mixed in without the accompanying furigana and I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to ignore the pronunciation for the time being or what.
>>
>>75112810
Just check how it's pronunced, dummy.
>>
>>75112971

Completely forgot about rikaikun. Thanks anon.
>>
File: IMG_0999.jpg (469KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0999.jpg
469KB, 1920x1080px
How hard is it to become a JET? Im still fairy young, American and I have a Bachelors degree in Communication
>>
File: Nichijou-10-Large-16-460x258.jpg (24KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
Nichijou-10-Large-16-460x258.jpg
24KB, 460x258px
>>75113641
>communication
>>
Trying to translate a song,
0か100かの駆け引きだったら
Another translation has this as, "If it's all or nothing", is this correct?
>>
File: ludacris-second-act.jpg (29KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
ludacris-second-act.jpg
29KB, 600x315px
I guess people could find this interesting

>Be 2009
>Be 16
>Dad Works Suzuki (Hungarian Division)
>He got reassigned to Japan for 2 years
>Move into Hamamatsu
>mfw I'm going to finish HS in Japan
>mfw I'm not a weabo to enjoy this. (desu Anime wasn't that big of a deal in my Country back then)
>While Dad worked in Hamamatsu, we lived in a small town called Mori, close to father's work place (He disliked living in large cities)
>We arrive at the very end of September
>Father assigns a Japanese teacher.
>He was cool, he was afraid that he couldn't be useful because he didn't spoke Hungarian
>We spoke English most of the time
>He thought me me the basic first (How to greet, how to introduce yourself)
>I still remember my introduction speech what I said in front of the class (Since then I watched a couple Anime's, honestly this is the only that come remotely close to it. )
>For the couple first week, literally AllEyezOnMe
>Kids were cool, they asked me a lot of things in English
>It literally felt the same as in a Hungarian High School but I couldn't understand shit most of the time. (By the end I learned a couple stuff, but I never went full fluid)
>>
>>75114750
Yes.
>>
>>75107686
>Is the manga good?
It's 10/10.
>>
>>75109572
Jesus.
>>
File: 0231.jpg (226KB, 615x648px) Image search: [Google]
0231.jpg
226KB, 615x648px
>>75116451
>>
>>75116730
It was written in a way beginners may assume was serious, as if the whole perpetuating misinformation meme had reached POE status.
>>
>>75116880
Worked for me.
>>
File: 1488835682172.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1488835682172.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>75117058
I don't want to talk like a news caster, but I still need to be able to understand them when I watch the news.

I don't want to talk like a manga hero would, but I still need to be able to understand them when I read manga.

I don't want to talk like an action movie star, but I still need to be able to understand them when I watch action movies.

I don't want to talk like an ancient samurai, but I still need to be able to understand them when I watch historical drama.

Learning from all of these sources are fine, as INPUT is entirely different than OUTPUT. You should strive to experience a wide variety of inputs to be able to understand things in general.

A lot of anime/manga in particular can have SoL situations too, so it's not that far removed from normal everyday dialogue.

This is an ancient and stupid topic that isn't relevant to the thread.

勉強に集中しなさい。
>>
>>75117058
There was a lack of focus on my part, leading to miscommunication. To clarify, that you had success with light novels is not the point of contention. On the contrary, if beginners want to read light novels then all the more power to them, it is a great thing for their learning.
However, the first two statements are unrelated to the conclusion. The following two statements in question:

>The Japanese found in manga is too quirky to be used in real life.
The above is at best misleading. The Japanese found in manga is not at all too quirky to be used in real life and in response to よつばと!, this is entirely incorrect for a series which has a range of speech patterns commonly used by Japanese, illustrating differences between how those with different levels of intimacy talk to each other. The language itself is also highly accessible for beginners.

>It will only slow your learning down.
This is objectively false and the last thing anyone ought tell a beginner who has shown interest in reading something. This, in fact, is what will only slow down learning. When someone wants to read something, the choice should be if not supported, not rejected.
It only does potential harm to induce hesitation and confusion in beginners on the brink of breaking into native media. Please look beyond the standpoint of what works for you and employ a little more empathy.
>>
If you aren't constantly watching variety shows for the maximum density of listening input of completely natural japanese you might as well not be studying at all.
>>
>>75112121
I'm going to pick the one you just finished because I hate deciding things for myself.

>青春歌年鑑
This is exactly what I've been looking for an no one really been able to answer. Japanese karaoke looks so fun but it's my worst nightmare to just sit there not knowing any of the songs.

Thanks for the input

The graduation song is cozy as fuck and I actually understood quite a bit of it.

>>75119102
>>75119118
>>75119163
As someone who was avoiding novels because I thought they would be way over my head, I liked his advice.
>>
How do you say "If you would like to (do x)" with a neutral choice, without emphasizing the choice of doing x? For example, もし良かったら carries a connotation of you wanting the other person to do x, and that's not my desired intention. I want to say something like "If you want to go for a walk, we can go" in a completely neutral tone. Any suggestions?
>>
This is from a song - (BEAUTeen by Scandal)
こぼれないように空を見上げて
ヒカリ弾いたまつ毛の先に
写った君の強さ 想い届け
What does the verb 弾く mean in the context of 光? Also, is the 光 in this paragraph an understood (tears)? And for the chunk before the 想い届け, what is the verb? Is it just like, "Your strength is reflected on the tears at the tips of my eyelashes?"
>>
>>75110034
Sometimes, but more commonly I accidentally think in Japanese.

Actually even more commonly I say something in German instead of Japanese. I think my brain sees anything non-English as one "other" language
>>
>>75119522
なんなら散歩してもいいんだぜ?
>>
>>75119420

Cheers mate, best of luck in your studies. If you need help in acquiring any of this stuff, leave a message in the offtopic channel on the discord server.
>>
File: 1488073408720.png (128KB, 581x443px) Image search: [Google]
1488073408720.png
128KB, 581x443px
I've got about 3000 mature words in Core6K, I've read all of よつばと!, all of 黒, a good chunk of からかい上手高木さん, and I finished the first volume of あずまんが大王 today.

When is a good time to get started with material to help with listening comprehension? Is there a listening comprehension equivalent of よつばと?
>>
>>75119787
>こぼれないように空を見上げて
I look up at the sky so that [my tears] don't spill over
>ヒカリ弾いたまつ毛の先に
And as the light [perhaps of the stars] strums at the tips of my eyelashes,
>写った君の強さ 想い届け
[I see] in them your strength reflected—let these feelings reach you

The imagery I get is a girl standing in the dark with a boy walking away, looking up at the stars with tears welling up in her eyes, and as she watches the starlight twinkle through her blurred vision she wishes she could be as strong as the person she loves, so that she could tell him so.
>>
File: 0121.jpg (563KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0121.jpg
563KB, 1600x1200px
>>75119102
Well, that's pretty obvious. Never said that you need to read LNs exclusively.

>>75119118
>1.
Never read yotsuba but I'll take your word for it.
My advice is still fair though, it simply depends if the person just started out, in which case manga (ones like yotsuba) is nice. Or if he's a bit more advanced, which means that if he wants to progress further, light novels become a great choice thanks to the qualities I mentioned earlier.
The whole idea behind my post was to incite people to go out of their comfort zone.

>2.
True, could have been more subtle. In the end people should treat advice as food for thought. If it suits you then great, if it doesn't then do it your way!
But shouldn't that be common sense?

>>75119420
Cheers. It was exactly the point of that post.
>>
>>75121036
Thanks, I pop in and out of their from time to time.

>>75121818
Thanks again, /djt/ seems civil today.
>>
>>75121476
Thanks very much anon!
>>
目が痛い
しにたい
>>
>>75122618
眼科へいけばいいじゃない(・・;)
>>
>>75122679
右目の静脈が破裂して大きな赤い点がある
一周あれば完治するらしいけど今は我慢するしかない
>>
>>75120501
Thanks
>>
File: IMG_0141.jpg (38KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0141.jpg
38KB, 443x332px
昔のアニメを見ると、そのあまりのロークオリティのさに、ああやはり日本というのはアメリカのパクリ国家だったんだなぁと思わざるを得ないところであります。トムとジェリーはいつ見ても素晴らしい。
何も中国を笑えない。今でこそクオリティが上がって、日本がパクリ国家だったことを知らない外国の若い人も増えて、それはそれでいいんですけれども。
>>
>>75064475
へんてこバスと飴玉くるり
1~2巻
https://mega.nz/#F!obokzYDa!Gc0VtAhAsj8qnmjSeNfeYQ
>>
File: ぐーぱん!_3_000a.jpg (504KB, 1354x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ぐーぱん!_3_000a.jpg
504KB, 1354x1920px
ぐーぱん!
1~3巻
https://mega.nz/#F!ZOJljRAB!qZztfVNXH7B0k0dt6aGqVA
>>
File: 落花流水_9_000a.jpg (706KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
落花流水_9_000a.jpg
706KB, 1128x1600px
落花流水
1~9巻
https://mega.nz/#F!UOZgTJIL!ADf4eRMgaCNxrdtyR7epjg
>>
黒髪巫女とマリアウィッチ
1巻
https://mega.nz/#F!VDgyHDoZ!SNJh30PVni5_yQw2bFuVPA
>>
どうして私が美術科に!?
1巻
https://mega.nz/#F!xHxzEZSD!K4ZlaKrKrTRwYvJhhfZonQ
>>
File: 1495404326864~01.jpg (205KB, 1122x829px) Image search: [Google]
1495404326864~01.jpg
205KB, 1122x829px
What is the te form doing in the second pane? Is the te form just commonly used to state a verb without using the "proper" dictionary version?

I was watching a porno were a girl kept using yamete, and I was confused as why she wasn't using the dictionary form.
>>
>>75098842
>>75099981
It's used for urination as well.
>>
>>75112102
週に一回様子を見に行きます
maybe
>>
In describing a terrible guest room for a visitor:

"宿舎と言っていいのか、それは牢獄よりはまし、といった部屋だった"

I get the meaning, more or less, but I'm not sure how to accurately translate it literally in English. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>75126219
Are you referring to the って in 今の私って? That is, as the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar puts it:
>A colloquial topic-introducer.
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#%E3%8A%A6%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A6%281%29

Do you mind sharing the source?
>>
>>75126219
>and I was confused as why she wasn't using the dictionary form.
Sorry, forgot to address this. This て form is short for やめて[ください] (please stop).
>>
File: f5~01.png (15KB, 512x98px) Image search: [Google]
f5~01.png
15KB, 512x98px
>>75126450
>>75126488

No, I was talking about the second pane, the one with 来て, not the third one.
I figured it was related to yametekudasai because she said that as well.
Pic is all I've got for the source.
>>
>>75126617

What, you mean 来てしまう/着てしまう?

"Auxiliary verb, Godan verb with u ending
4. to finish ...; to do ... completely

Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb, indicates completion (and ***sometimes reluctance, regret, etc.***)"
>>
Ah shit, I completely misread it and threw it in the dictionary wrong
Thank you!
>>
>>75126359
Thanks, this is probably the best way.
>>
Are these Sakurako's and Himawari's younger sisters grown up? I don't like it, hope this is not canon.
>>
>>75127540
Forgot to quote >>75106149
>>
How much should I know of specific kanji? I didn't do RTK/etc to learn the kanji beforehand so whenever I see one I don't recognize in a new word in Anki I look it up and try to remember things its associated with.

For example, whenever I see 気 I think "feeling", 事 "matter/thing", 工 "construction", 社 "company", 長 "leader/long", 会 "association", etc which gives me some kind of hint when I see new words that have these. But I don't know what radicals make it up or all its readings.

Is it enough? I was thinking of learning kanji on their own too but I'll probably burn out.
>>
Does anyone have ebook versions of 覇剣の皇姫アルティーナ?
>>
>>75127857
That's supposed to be Hanako and Kaede.
It's fan art.
>>
>>75127883
As long as you don't have trouble distinguishing them in words you don't need to do anything.
>>
>>75128052
>Kaede Furutani (古谷 楓 Furutani Kaede?) is Himawari's younger sister.
>Hanako Ōmuro [...] She is Sakurako and Nadeshiko's younger sister
In other words, "yes".
>>
>>75127883
It can help to know that 氵is associated with liquids, 扌with hand, etc.
>>
>>75127895
They are pretty cheap on Rakuten, which can be ripped with Calibre.
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/search/nm?g=101&sitem=%C7%C6%B7%F5%A4%CE%B9%C4%C9%B1%A5%A2%A5%EB%A5%C6%A5%A3%A1%BC%A5%CA&x=65&y=-15&v=2
How long does it take you read through a volume of a light novel, on average? They'll set you back around $4.15 US burgers a volume, which is pretty good value if it takes a few days or longer to read a volume.

This is the Calibre plugin uses to rip kobo DRM epubs, which Rakuten uses:
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2017/01/12/dedrm-tools-6-5-3-released/
Obok deDRM

>>75128148
Did you know who Sakurako and Himawari were but not Hanako and Kaede?
>>
>>75128283
Only Himawari's little sister, but I didn't remember her name.
The other one I deduced from her appearance.

It's interesting though how in YrYr every (invisible) mother has a massive fertility rate with 120% chance of having a girl.
>>
>>75128283
>buying things
>>
File: nail.jpg (48KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
nail.jpg
48KB, 299x300px
hey guys
i think you know very well the language
do you know what the japanese symbols in the left says?
i tried to translate it but it says 'Sorry'
please don't bully me :c
>>
>>75128270
>氵is associated with liquids, 扌with hand
That's actually really helpful. I looked at radicals for some kanji before and they had absolutely no relation to the actual meaning but those two seem to be consistent. Is there a list of radicals I should learn that will be helpful? I found https://kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/ which marks about 50 as "important".
>>
>>75128878
This is me bullying you
>>
>>75128878
it's literally already translated for you in big letter in your image kill yourself
>>
>>75128947
BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT LANGUAGE IT COULD BE ANYTHING
>>
File: 1495421055891.jpg (48KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
1495421055891.jpg
48KB, 299x300px
>>75128878
>>
>>75129101
A lot of thanks japan guy!
But I still don't get it
I put the words in google translate and those don't come up!
Is the Japanese language divided in many subcategories like Thailand and there's an important one that's always used?
>>
>>75129164
No wait
I just figured it out...
K, I'm out, thank you guys c:
>>
忙しいか
or
忙しいですか

すみません
>>
>>75129376
The first is plain language and somewhat curt. The second is polite language. Either is okay.
>>
>>75129455
thank you!
>>
忙しいだキュン
>>
>>75128918
言 has to do with voice/commands.
月 (actually 肉) is body parts.
木 is for wooden objects (helps with stuff like 棒 against 俸, for instance)
分小 generally have a sense of division/part
立 of a single unit
音 of sound
女 is female and lots of feeling-related words
男 is male and also stuff related to strength/bravery

I don't know, man, I "learn" these when two similar kanji start showing up and I have to discern between them. Then the radical difference generally seems intuitive. Like 粒 and 粉. Using what I said above, one is a grain (a unit 立) and the other is powder (an even smaller fraction 分
than a grain, thus powder).
>>
>>75128918
I'm a beginner so I don't really know. I only pay attention to the radical on the left side, if there is one. The other ones that have a meaning that helps me remember kanji are
疒 for body ailments such as 病気、疲れる、痛い。
⻌ for physical distances, locations or movement in relation to other objects (kind of).
木 when it's squished on the left, for wood stuff. Not always.
月 when it's squished on the left. Sometimes it's actually 肉 and it relates to body parts (not always).
>>
挺 is some counter for long thin things
dont say i never gave you nothing
>>
File: IMG_3723.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3723.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
The Anki is starting to grow. I keep fucking up on number of things and days.
>>
>綺麗な瞳だな、という言葉が一瞬あとになって、追いついた
Can someone help me understand this? I don't understand the stuff that comes after が
>>
>>75130239
The thought "wow what pretty eyes" got postponed for a moment as I chased after her
>>
>>75130167
Is that number of reviews?
I never use the phone app.
>>
>>75130269
I see it now, thanks. One more thing though, wouldn't it be "The words" and not "The thought"?
>>
>>75130289

Basically number of cards to go through for the day. 20 new plus 22 for review. Of those probably 10 I actually need to review.
>>
>>75130304
literally yes but "the thought" makes it more clear as an actual translation
>>
>>75130353
That's nothing though, 15-20min
>>
>>75130380
He thinks's she's really pretty so I figured it'd be one of those things where he utters 「綺麗な瞳だな」subconsciously. But I guess it doesn't matter
>>
>>75130167
>>75130353
Stick with it Anon
>>
>>75130167
Wait, is that the Anki app you have to pay $30 for on the app store?
>>
>>75130167
>starting to grow
>22 reviews
Are you fucking kidding me? How many 3 days have you been doing Anki for?
>>
>>75130535

I am. I will say. It's easy to feel like a dumbass when you forget something. It's slowly coming together though.

>>75130558
Maybe? I bought it five years ago so I don't remember.
>>
So, I studied Japanese for a few years in high school and I am thinking about trying to pick it up again since I have some free time this summer. Is there anyway to do so without looking like/being a total weeb?
>>
File: Capture.png (1KB, 256x65px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1KB, 256x65px
>>75130353
がんば!
>>
>>75130641
Don't tell anyone you are learning japanese until you have done like 300 hours of semi-comprehensible listening to stuff that isn't anime and don't think it would be funny to yell something like ふざけんな
(of course you can tell your parents or Japanese people on language learning apps that you are learning japanese, just not your peers)
>>
>>75130676

Ex girlfriend keeps asking what I've been up to. Still haven't told her yet.
>>
>>75130676
That's probably a good plan. I mean I have quite a bit of experience and I am sure some of it will come back to me. Its been a few years but I would hate to throw away a lot of what I learned if I have time to mold it into something.
>>
File: ape.png (125KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
ape.png
125KB, 500x260px
>>75130629
>It's easy to feel like a dumbass when you forget something.
I know it is, but it's really important to not focus on that. Forgetting and re-learning is exactly what Anki is designed to do, and it's just how the human brain works. If you let it get you down at this point, imagine how bad it'll feel when you forget things that say "5 months" on them or whatever. For a while I was wasting huge amounts of time on Anki because I was fretting about trying to remember something I felt like I should've known.

Just try to frame it positively, like "good thing I'm starting this word over, I'm sure I'll need it someday and this will help me remember it then." It sounds dumb when I write it on here but it helps me a lot.
>>
>>75130799
you can also just not give a shit and tell people you're doing it because japanese girls are cute
>>
>>75131028
>imagine how bad it'll feel when you forget things that say "5 months" on them or whatever
This is why I made sure to set it so it doesn't show those numbers, or the estimated time left reviewing. Too much of a psychological bias involved in not failing a card just because it is mature or skipping through reviews without much thought just because it says only a few minutes remaining.

Those things are can be such a negative distraction.
>>
>>75130799
>studied Japanese for a few years in high school
You probably didn't even learn kanji so there is hardly anything to actually "come back". Someone who has watched anime for a few years will be further ahead than a few years of Japanese in highschool
>>
File: 1493958283857.jpg (127KB, 811x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493958283857.jpg
127KB, 811x720px
>tfw i could probably read basic japanese by now if i didn't fuck around and spend time contemplating whether or not i should learn japanese
>>
>>75131073
That's a good idea. How do you set that up?
>>
>>75131341
First thing that comes up in preferences
>>
File: 1475275349461.png (28KB, 130x142px) Image search: [Google]
1475275349461.png
28KB, 130x142px
>>75130676
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Ii6IRmjtOl
>>
>>75121036
I've been searching a bit, I've found some lists of the songs but do you know where I can download some of them? Or find them neatly tucked away to listen to? I don't mind buying one or two if I have to but I'm not sure at all where to start, it's kind of intimidating.
>>
>>75131908
That's also a general question for downloading and searching for Japanese music, should I be using katakana/hiragana? Or romaji?
>>
>>75131908

Can you get on discord? If you can, post something in the off topic channel.
>>
>>75131908
>>75132014

Nevermind this, I'm going to bed. The quick answers to your questions are that you can use p2p apps, like soulseek, perfect dark, and share. Soulseek is old but it's still a good lightweight means of acquiring music. The latter two are very old and Japanese, so don't expect too much (setting them up will also take a bit more effort). You can also use private torrent sites. Leave an email if you want help with that (it can be a throwaway, just make sure you remember the password). Also, If you find a song you like on youtube, and it's clearly uploaded by a gaijin, it wouldn't hurt to send a private message and ask for a mega upload or something. To your second question, yes once you get into the world of any Japanese media you really need to get used to using Japanese script.
>>
>>75132447
Just hit up the discord now, going to bed as well. Determined to give a go in the morning. Thanks for the help.
>>
File: 1472704751951.jpg (139KB, 300x470px) Image search: [Google]
1472704751951.jpg
139KB, 300x470px
Do you fags really not have a parent that gives a shit about your interests and doesn't regard things you're into with disdain?
>>
>>75132528
I do. My dad once told the baker I had learned not only English, but Japanese on my own, and I wasn't even studying it at that point, I just watched anime.
Needless to say, my knowledge was put to test and I failed.
>>
>>75132528
My parents barely showed an interest in my hobbies while I was growing up and they show less of an interest now. They only want to know whether or not I am alive. Last year, a few days after my birthday, my old man rang up to ask how I was going and openly said he thought that I may have offed myself before reaching that age.
Some parents don't care about the interests of their offspring. Some parents should have opted for an abortion instead.
>>
File: 232000.jpg (328KB, 2000x1257px) Image search: [Google]
232000.jpg
328KB, 2000x1257px
>>75132528
Mother's a weeb so 日本語おK
>>
File: 1484869710525.jpg (47KB, 448x326px) Image search: [Google]
1484869710525.jpg
47KB, 448x326px
G-guys, I don't think watching variety show was a good idea anymore.
>>
>違う! お前の父わしだ
https://youtu.be/cbpslRxy8T0

I wish there was a good website for watching japanese dubbed stuff
all I could find are live streams on fc2.com, but that's like watching tv with very few channels, you can always only hope something good comes up and they are often repeating the same movies
>>
File: ss (2017-05-22 at 03.18.25).png (4KB, 483x161px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-22 at 03.18.25).png
4KB, 483x161px
fug
>>
>>75133832
The repeating part is not bad, actually. Children watch the same movie 300000 times and memorize every single line in it. Helps a lot with language acquisition.
>>
>>75134884
sure, repetition is important and all but I don't even know anymore how often I've seen japanese dubbed star wars or some other very popular stuff, right now it's LOTR 3

but the japanese comments are funny sometimes, apparently many haven't seen these movies already.
for example when the scene with Vader being luke's father came up all the comments went ええええええ 嘘
>>
バンプ
>>
File: file.png (26KB, 316x525px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26KB, 316x525px
finally figured out how to not get banned from yahoo from scraping

it will take a couple weeks to dump all the definitions, now I'm going to start parsing it and making an anki deck sorted by frequency in the dictionary itself.
>>
File: mm.jpg (23KB, 375x241px) Image search: [Google]
mm.jpg
23KB, 375x241px
>>75136918
何かよう
>>
>>75125939
>>75125963
>>75125985
>>75126012
>>75126030
Thank you for the great uploads anon.
>>
File: 1465169729629.jpg (25KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1465169729629.jpg
25KB, 321x322px
>>75140664
why is it always stuff about little girls though
>>
hey BITCH

Want to know why N1 is important?

There is a scholarship in Japan that pays you $500 or more JUST for having a score of 170 or higher(100 or higher for westerners) on the N1

Who woulda thought the JLPT could pay off?
>>
>>75142013
wtf i love jlpt now
>>
>>75142047
*If you are interested in this scholarship, please be sure to inquire at your Student Affairs Division.
*The applicants need to score over 170(over 100 for non-native speaker of Chinese and Korean language) of JLPT N1 whose exam was held in Japan in July or December, 2016.
*This scholarship is for the applicants who aspire to becoming a Japanese language teacher.
There's plenty of scholarships like this. The JLPT and EJU exams both net you money. If you get N1, you can pretty much get paid to move to Japan
>>
File: font.jpg (19KB, 367x134px) Image search: [Google]
font.jpg
19KB, 367x134px
Is it normal to struggle or need to read sentences when they're in a font different to what you're used to? This one for instance.
I assume you get used to it over time as you become more familiar with the language.
>>
>>75142387
*or need to read sentences more carefully
Maybe I ought to read my own sentences more carefully for starters.
>>
>>75142423
my math professor told me to go to sweden for free bachelor's degree

if i was younger i probably woulda bit. you lucky to be swedish bro.
>>
>>75142452
What does that have to do with my question?
>>
>>75142452
Tuition isn't free for non-EEC citizens.
>>
>>75142013
>All that studying
>$500
I get more if I go on EI and do nothing.
>>
>>75142387
Can read it no problem. Are you mindful of stroke order? If yes, then there's only grinding left to do, with time you stop looking at kanji and start seeing words, just like how for THIS word you don't see T, H, I and S, you just see a snapshot of the whole picture and process it quicker that way.
>>
>>75143356
Bitch, tis $500 A MONTH FOR UP TO 2 YEARS

That's literally $12,000 for taking a japanese exam
>>
>>75144660
Oh.

Mabye I'll do 100 new words today.
>>
>>75144730
Also do you have some kind of link for this?
>>
>>75144625
>Are you mindful of stroke order?
No? How does that affect my reading ability?
I recognize all the kanji and hiragana up to 人 but I don't recognize the last 2. It just takes me a little while than normal to identify them all. I only started learning the language a couple of months ago.
>with time you stop looking at kanji and start seeing words
I figured.
>>
>>75144761
>No? How does that affect my reading ability?
Wait till you have to read someone's chicken scratch writing. The idea is that everyone writes the characters in the same fashion and order so even if their writing sucks or is off beat you should be able to trace their path.

Plus, it's supposed to be philosophical, though I don't know how, I've only been told. It's also supposed to be structured so it's easier and more efficient to write.
>>
>>75120189
>I think my brain sees anything non-English as one "other" language

In my case Japanese has overwritten any French I have ever learned (most hated subject back in high school), and for some reason でも always triggers that perception in me.
I don't remember "demo" being a French conjugation, though. So no idea why that happens.
>>
>>75144761
>No?
Are you mindful of punctuation marks? The kanji you're looking for is 「.」.
>>
>>75145026
Do you get a kick out of being this smug?
>>
>>75145183
Hey, I'm the one trying to help only to be met with a passive-aggressive "No?", as if my question was dumb and the answer was obvious. Well, it's not obvious to not know stroke order. Back to fundamentals with you.
>>
>>75145010
I say でも, sometimes but that's only because it's a word I speak a lot or start a thought with, whether it makes sense or not.
>>
>>75145326
>passive-aggressive
It was an inquisitive "that's important?" kind of no. Not a "mind your own business" no.
>as if my question was dumb and the answer was obvious
Your question was strange because to me it doesn't make much sense how stroke order could affect the readability of something when I was talking about readability across different fonts.
>Well, it's not obvious to not know stroke order.
Look, it sounds plausible, but until now I've never heard of it. I knew writing the kanji down (which requires knowing the stroke order) makes it easier to memorize, but I don't understand how it could help you read the same letter across 2 different fonts.
>>
>I haven't checked Imabi in a while, let's see what's new
>388 lessons that range from Beginner to Classical Japanese
That's complete autism right there. Is it worth it?
>>
>>75148454

Isn't it free?
>>
>>75148534
Time is money.

Then again we're all wasting it on this thread, so...
>>
いつでもどうぞ
What does it mean? Something like "Always a pleasure"?
>>
>>75148633
Finding the djt guide and the random good advice, question opportunity and link in the thread is/was worth the time I spend in this thread
>>
>>75148534
It's insanely long and in-depth. I'm just asking if it's worth the time investment. Anyone here read it?
>>
>>75149030

I'm not sure, but it seems pretty interesting. Might give it a read.
>>
>>75149030
I bookmarked it just now, I'll look trough it after Tae Kim.
>>
>>75149030
I remember one anon saying something along the lines of "it has identity issues regarding whether it wants to be a brief, introductory guide like TK or in-depth like a proper grammar reference and fails at doing both"
>>
I suck at long sentences. Are there any preferred methods when it comes to getting good at them in the most efficient way possible?

Also, can someone help me out with this:

法王は国家現車にアンテイクリストと教の教えを国の指針とし
自分を囲むを四つの隣国のどことも同盟をむすばない中立国であることを宣言
>>
>>75150966
>国家現車
国家元首?
>アンテイクリストと教の教え
アンティクリスト教の教え?
>自分を囲むを四つの隣国
自分を囲む四つの隣国?
>>
>>75150966
If I find a sentence where I'm not quite sure if I got it right, I like to save it in a text box somewhere and come back to it a few hours later.
In the short term reading over it again faster seems to help too, or imagining different kinds of emphasis in the subvocalisation.
>>
This is kind of picky question, but is there any way of knowing if the "quotation" と is marking a real quotation or not, in these kinds of circumstances?

キノはよし、と頷いてから。。。

Like, is she nodding as if to say "alright", or is she nodding and actually saying "よし"?
>>
>>75150966
>Are there any preferred methods when it comes to getting good at them
I try to break them into related clauses or meaningful chunks, then seeing how it modified/relates to the rest. This usually involves reading it over a couple of times, trying to look at it from different angles.

As for the sentence, I'm not entirely sure as it seems to contain typos, as >>75153092 noticed. From a casual glance it reads as though the Pope, who as the moral compass representing the nation, has declared the neighbouring nations heretical and are not to be allied with their nation. A statement of remaining neural to the surrounding powers; a fictional Switzerland.

I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>75150966
The more you read the more competent you will get into parsing long sentences and matching each clause with its counterpart just like you manage to read this sentence without getting lost even though there are a lot of stuff getting connected together probably because you're too used to English word order already so it doesn't really bother you that much but since you don't know Japanese you still rely on things being short to offer little wiggling space.
>>
>>75156938
I can't even imagine how awful it must be for Japs to teach themselves English.
>>
File: FreshNewMeme.png (635KB, 1203x370px) Image search: [Google]
FreshNewMeme.png
635KB, 1203x370px
Hot off the meme presses
>>
>>75157057
Japanese English pedagogy is 上級なのです.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8JeCS3P6w
>>
File: 1492298003309~01.jpg (18KB, 188x316px) Image search: [Google]
1492298003309~01.jpg
18KB, 188x316px
What do I do when I find a compound word that isn't in jisho like 顔真 in this image?
>>
>>75157324
You're parsing it wrong. It's 顔 真っ赤
>>
>>75157324
Pop it into a parser because >>75157456
Also, did you skip core? Because that word's in there at about 600~ or so
>>
File: Untitled15.png (331KB, 1234x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled15.png
331KB, 1234x1089px
>>75141776
It is all manga serialised in まんがタイムきらら and sister magazines, published by 芳文社.
You can see the progress here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: 1495473111417~01.jpg (2KB, 48x131px) Image search: [Google]
1495473111417~01.jpg
2KB, 48x131px
>>75157456
>>75157584

I see, what about this one? 先礼.
>>
>>75157614
失礼
>>
>>75157629
FUUUCK I'm bad at this. Thanks
>>
>>75157584
I fell for the "read as early as possible" meme.
>>
>>75157698
At least now you'll be more aware of the phrase 失礼します.
>>
どんなに大変でも、日本語を勉強は決して諦めない!
>>
File: 1495359132045.jpg (128KB, 720x495px) Image search: [Google]
1495359132045.jpg
128KB, 720x495px
>>75157324
i wonder what the hard stats are for people that come here just to be able to read hentai
gotta be a high slice
>>
>>75157698
nigga go further in the core. Those are really basic words.
>>
>>75148639
Pretty much. "You're welcome to it any time."
>>
>>75157200
Why does the jap say アンクル as アンチュル and スクール as スチュール?
I thought it was just plain wrong, but the students repeat after him using a ク sound and he says "that's right".
>>
>>75157584
What's a good parser?
>>
File: IMG_3730.png (276KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3730.png
276KB, 1242x2208px
My memory really is terrible. I'm remembering the meanings, it's the furigana I keep messing up on. I'm slowly piecing together the patterns though.
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-22+at+06.34.53).png (24KB, 1065x541px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-22+at+06.34.53).png
24KB, 1065x541px
>>75158498
>>
>>75157200
Kek, is that Pakkun?
>>
File: 46178228_p0.png (3MB, 1488x2105px) Image search: [Google]
46178228_p0.png
3MB, 1488x2105px
>>75157956
Take the number of anons learning Japanese for porn in the /jp/ DJT thread and half it, is a general guideline I would assume.
>>
>>75157956

Let's see.

Why did you guys start learning Japanese?

https://strawpoll.com/sr5gd1w
>>
>>75158799
How to create new answer?
>>
>>75158557
Why does your review take you so long? You shouldn't spend more than 30 seconds on a card you forgot.
>>
>>75158889

Dammit looks like they took out that option.
>>
>>75158799
How can I select multiple answers? And it has too few answers.
>>
>>75158941
3 options aren't enough

My reason is to talk to nihongo girls
>>
>>75158956
>>75158974

The idea was to allow people to add answers, but it looks like they've taken that out of straw poll.
>>
>>75158799
Could use a "do it for her" option.
>>
>>75158896

For some reason six and eight days/things kept screwing me up. Everything else is just getting super close, but slightly off. It's a handful of problem words while everything else goes pretty quickly.

There was also a gap in the day due to family matters.
>>
>>75159006
Since you can't do it, my answer would've been "video games"
>>
>>75158498
None of them. They're all garbage. Just learn japanese.
>>
>>75159176
What do you want to/are you currently playing?
>>
>>75159132
It's going to keep getting more frustrating and the cards are going to pile up if you don't change your strategy, 50% is really bad especially on numbers
>>
>>75159233

Maybe I should reduce my new cards to 10 for a bit, so it doesn't get too crazy?
>>
>>75159362
No, write them down and use mnemonics, look at the graph I posted, left is no writing, right is when I started writing the words out.
Retention should be above 60% according to others, 80% is doable if you actually try, above 90-95% you can consider adding more cards.
>>
>>75159362
imo, you're better off pushing through and even ramping up new words if possible. While it sounds counter intuitive, the way Core is structured, the more words you cover the more exposure you get to the same kanji and readings, making it easier the more you cover.
It will mean increased reviews over the short term, though.
>>
File: パンダパン.jpg (166KB, 904x502px) Image search: [Google]
パンダパン.jpg
166KB, 904x502px
>>75159208
Most recently, Dragon Quest XI coming out soon.

On an unrelated note, why doesn't anyone recommend しろくまカフェ to beginners? There's very little text, and most of the puns are easily understandable because of being visible in manga form.
>>
>>75159864
>why doesn't anyone recommend しろくまカフェ to beginners?
I don't know, but it's a good idea. We have it in the CoR, as well.
>>
>>75154309
キノ「よし」
she says よし definitely, but it is also possible that is a voice of her mind.
>>
How the fuck is "Lain" and "St-" written in Japanese?
>>
>>75162085
>"Lain"
レイン
>St-
no idea
>>
I finally gave my first attempt at making a deck through excel and everything worked fine until I imported and only 8 of the 40 odd words I put in showed up when I tried the deck.
>>
>>75162085
St. as in Saint? 聖.
聖ヨハネ St. John
聖マタイ St. Matthew
etc.
>>
>>75162085
>lain
レイン
>st-
スト,スタ
シチュ
e.g.)stopストップ
street ストリート
student シチューデント
study スタディ
>>
Is there really a difference in ヴァ or バ

Like, does it matter if you call Vancouver ヴァンクーヴァー or バンクーバー

Or is it just to let people know your name has a V on it?
>>
>証明
>Show mei the evidence!
>>
File: 138.png (948KB, 978x1033px) Image search: [Google]
138.png
948KB, 978x1033px
She could've used やらなかった here right? How does なかった differ from ていない in terms of nuance, beside the obvious "did not" vs "have not?"

The reason I ask is because it seems kind of weird to me that she's using ていない when "giving an ice cream" is a short, one-time action. It seems like やらなかった would be more natural to me and if someone could explain why that's not used here, I'd greatly appreciate it
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.