[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1855

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 40

File: 1494753425153.png (446KB, 1333x880px) Image search: [Google]
1494753425153.png
446KB, 1333x880px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Last Thread:
>>74892857
>>
Fuck doing reps, it's boring as fuck and the best strategy for learning is to find a way of studying that is fun.
>>
>>74982185
>best strategy for learning is to find a way of studying that is fun.
agreed

on the other hand doing your reps gives you some actual structure for your learning process
>>
>>74982185
Reward yourself by after ever completed set of daily Anki reviews, inject a quarter of a gram of heroin into your cock.
>>
>>74983396
Speaking of which, I wonder if a stiff cock is actually a suitable place to shoot up drugs. I mean there are usually a lot of thick veins on there, seems pretty practical as an injection site.
>>
>>74983465
Don't know if people actually do that but the idea must have circulated around various forms of mass media enough to plant the seed inside my head.
Before getting too caught up on looking into this, I'm going to jump offline and read some manga. Only came in the thread to provide a crude natured bump.
>>
>>74983465
Procrastination
>>
File: IMG_2199.PNG1.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2199.PNG1.png
1MB, 640x1136px
How would you translate the highlighted sentence?
I'm especially interested in its second half/ Because this ?? leaves me in a torpor. Got no clue how to express it in english.
>>
Has anyone here tried any websites or apps for talking with real japanese people? I just downloaded an app called Tandem after a friend recommended it.
>>
I've been using the anki deck for about a fortnight now
To other people that used it: how did you find it?
20 new cards a day + revision seems fairly full on to me.
I'm not sure if it's because I study multiple languages at once, but I think 10 new words daily is plenty
>inb4 you can change the settings
I know, but I don't want to look like a brainlet :'(
>>
>>74984576
20 new a day will already take you years to amass a decent vocabulary
an hour a day is not 'full on' not even half on
>>
死んでるスレ
>>
>>74980454
Reps aren't a problem, but I never feel like reading although it's what must be done, even finished core already.

I always finish my reviews and want to read, but by the time I've done my reps I'm already tired and want to relax so I end up playing a video game, watching a movie or going to sleep.

I'll never learn Japanese with that attitude, I hate myself.
>>
>>74984576
10 words a day is fine. Repetitions and vocabulary are a part of learning the language but shouldn't be the main focus of it.
>>
>>74987458
don't worry mate, I'm the opposite which isn't better
I read manga, write down words I don't know, some of them probably +5 times already, then keep on reading without spending much time on repetition
>>
>>74987458
Why don't you try reading before you do your reps?
>>
Are there alternatives to Anki for learning vocabulary? I just started learning japanese a few weeks ago and can't get the hang of Anki.
Maybe i'm just doing it wrong.
>>
>>74988124
Reading
>>
>>74987627
>I read manga, write down words I don't know, some of them probably +5 times already, then keep on reading without spending much time on repetition
We're in the same boat, man. I spent a couple of months reading a lot of manga, 100 or so volumes worth without using Anki at all, with fuck all to show for it. My memory is absolutely atrocious so recently I started using Anki (again) for vocab as a bare necessity.
To give you an idea, today I re-read through the first four volumes of よつばと! and ended up with a list of 107 words which I decided to look up and add to the daily Anki revision schedule. These are words I would already know enough, among others, if I had bothered to do a little revision each day alongside reading.

Anki is like a pair of diving fins. It isn't everything but it sure gets you a lot fucking further than diving with nothing.
>>
>>74988010
Well I always viewed anki as a necessity in order to not forgot vocab, also the way anki reviews stack up if you miss a day made me prioritize it so I did that first in the past.
Reading was more of an additional thing for me, but I rarely did it in the end..

>Why don't you try reading before you do your reps?
Might give it a try, I'm just afraid I can't concentrate or enjoy reading when I know there are still reps waiting for me afterwards.
>>
>>74988943
Well, I think you feel accomplished when you finish your Anki reps and maybe you don't need to read afterward. Since you have to do your Anki reps, I'm sure you'll do them after reading.

Who knows. It might work.
>>
>>
translate this http://i.4cdn.org/h/1494769262100.jpg
>>
>>74989184
Is duolingo really that great? Looks just like memrise.
>>
File: 1477853300138.gif (202KB, 300x431px) Image search: [Google]
1477853300138.gif
202KB, 300x431px
>>74989141
Interesting way to think, I'll try it.
Hope it works thank you for the advice.
>>
>>74989526
What do you read, anon?
>>
>>74984576
Measure your goals.
10 words a day means 200 days to finish Core2k and 600 to finish Core6k.
If that seems like a reasonable goal for you, go for it. I wanted to learn 6k under a year, so I did 20 a day. And I wanted to learn 10k under 500 days, so I sticked with it. 10k might take your 3 years, though.
At this rather slow pace your should probably invest a good amount of time on reading after you're done with Core2k. If you manage to do it even before, good.

Hey, I have a better idea: do 20 a day until you're done with Core2k (3 months) and then lower it down to 10 a day. It doesn't start to get review-heavy until later on, so that won't push you that much.
>>
>>74980454
cute pic
>>
>>74989380
"Ahhh.... amazing! Len, what is this feeling?"
"The pleasure of being cummed inside, Rin-nee-sama"
"Oh, for fuck's sake, stop memeing me, you sissy excuse of a robot!"
>>
>>74989844
*translators note: nee-sama means big sister*
>>
File: IMG_5365.jpg (95KB, 640x833px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5365.jpg
95KB, 640x833px
>>74989475
No it's pretty horrible. Don't use it unless you want to learn sentences like " I wash the yellow hairy tomatoes of my sister"
>>
>>74990774
Incorrect. Duolingo used to have a sentence randomizer that created sentences like that, but their new algorithms are way more conservative, odd sentences are now an exception.
Besides, there is nothing grammatically wrong with washing your sister's yellow hairy tomatoes.
>>
can someone explain to me when to use を instead of が with stuff like blabla が好き
I don't see it that often but I fail to see the pattern
>>
>>74992130
I don't understand your question. With 好き specifically? If so, using を instead of が only sees marginal use and is considered slangy.
>>
「悪いが、あのリヤカーは簡単にはどかせられんでな。すまんが旅人さん。モトラドさんを一旦レールから出してくれんかの?」

Could someone please help me figure out how どかせられんでな has been conjugated?
>>
>>74993477
negative potential causative of 退く
>>
>>74993992
You don't think it's causative-passive? I've never seen a causative-potential before.
>>
>>74993477
どかせられない
can not be removed
>>
>>74994125
No, that would make no sense in that context.
>>
File: what.jpg (232KB, 717x798px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
232KB, 717x798px
What the fuck is this shit? My handwriting is better than this.
>>
How should I say, "My phone (battery) died" (i.e. ran out of power)?

「携帯の電池が切れました」?

「携帯の充電が切れました」?
>>
>>74995204
>those drawings
>that handwriting
T-they have to be kids, r-right?
>>
>>74984261
Beneath that clear blue sky, with the cold, empty heavens of the north country spread out above, its was truly the remnant of a dream of the summer grasses.

The 夏草どもの夢の跡 part is a reference to a haiku by 松尾芭蕉, from おくのほそ道 when he visits 平泉, where the Northern Fujiwara had once ruled before being wiped out and conquered by the Moritomo.
>「夏草や兵どもが夢の跡」
Summer grass! The remnants of the soldiers dreams.

The imagery suggests a place that had once been bustling with activity, where people may have harbored great dreams, but that is now desolate, and only weeds remain.
>>
>>74995549
Thank G-d for the digital revolution.
>>
>>74995110
Studying bad handwriting is much better than studying good handwriting. It's how you learn to distinguish between style and substance.
>>
>>74994494
Huh, it's my first time knowingly encountering a causative-potential then. Thanks.
>>
>>74996131
The potential and the passive forms are both two different functions of the auxiliary verbs れる or られる. The "potential form" of u-verbs that they teach in English-language Japanese courses is also just a shortened form of this (e.g. 行ける is a shortened form of 行かれる, with the -ar- removed).
Because (ら)れる can have four different meanings (spontaneous, passive, potential, honorific), it's normally considered more proper to use the form させることができる to express causative-potential, rather than させられる, in order to avoid confusion. But spoken language is not as picky, and either can be used.
>>
>>74996829
Thanks, I have a better understanding of the potential now. Could you briefly explain spontaneous?

>>74997065
Yeah, third chapter of the first book.
---

- 「仕事でのう。一人でずっとやっとるよ。枕木も取っ払うきに」
and
- 「すまんがのう、リヤカーは退けられないきに。そちらさんでよろしゅう頼む」

Sorry, is きに = きにする? This is probably 関西弁, which I haven't yet studied since I was last asking about it.
>>
>>75000339
It may be the affirmative 気になる, but the negative wouldn't fit in the context.
>>
>>74996829
>The potential and the passive forms are both two different functions of the auxiliary verbs れる or られる.
The potential for godan verbs has a different etymology and existed first.
>>
>>74999751
Googling it it seems to mean ので/だから.
>>
>>75002553
Yea, のう is 役割語 for old men in fiction. のう is similar to な/の.
>Where did you find that?
Googled きに 方言
>>
File: 1494630759882.jpg (21KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1494630759882.jpg
21KB, 640x426px
why isnt the duolingo course ready yet?
>>
>>75003619
it takes you to n5 at best what's wrong with you

literally reading through tyler kim once and memorizing like 200 basic words would give you the ability to become n5 just by watching anime
>>
File: 1494345411438.png (103KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
1494345411438.png
103KB, 217x320px
>>75004235
because its fun
>>
>>75004573
it's not fun
if you want to have fun, pirate one of those "learn the hiragana/kanji by playing games!" games from steam, it'll literally be more useful than duolingo
>>
>>74995248
電池
>>
>>75001694
>The potential for godan verbs has a different etymology
You might be right and you might be wrong.
At the very least, in the 学校文法 that's taught in schools in Japan, 可能動詞 are said to be a compressed version of the 未然形+れる construction, analogous to the ら抜き言葉 of 一段 verbs.
https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1012208075
>学校文法では「五段(四段)未然形+れる(る)」のつづまった形という説が言われていますが
Other theories as to where 可能動詞 come from do exist, but Wikipedia only says that the relationship between 行ける and 行かれる is unclear, not that there is no relationship.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%8F%AF%E8%83%BD%E5%8B%95%E8%A9%9E
>「行かれる」のような「~れる・られる」の形は、古語の「~る・らる」の形から変化したものだが、「行ける」のような可能動詞はそれとの関係は不明である。
Another theory is that it's derived by analogy from the shift from 下二段 verbs into 下一段 with a spontaneous meaning, as in 知る to know → 知れる to be known, or 切る to cut → 切れる to be cut, but examples of this kind of word are rare.
Another is that it comes from the 連用形+得る construction, as in 行きえる→行ける, which sounds more likely, but doesn't seem any more or less unthinkable of a shift than 行かれる→行ける to me.
So you can choose to believe it's whatever you want, but it's always just a theory, and I prefer to go by the official one.
>>
>>75001694
>and existed first.
This, at least, is definitely wrong.
From Wikipedia:
>可能動詞の発生は室町時代まで遡るが、多く用いられるようになったのは近代に至ってからである。
The 行ける form dates back to the Muromachi period at the earliest, and did not enter common use until much later. On the other hand, れる and られる date back to the Heian period in the form of る and らる, and these have always had a potential meaning. And even earlier than that, in the Nara period, you had ゆ and らゆ which were used in the same way.
>>
>>75004752
I've seen it mentioned that 行ける might've come from 行きえる, which seems plausible at first glance.
>>
>>75004752
The etymology given the most promise by (good) western linguists at the moment is the 連用形+得る construction. 行かれる→行ける is entirely plausible, but doesn't seem like it had a reason to happen. Contracting an i~e sequence to e, however, is a canonical sound change in Japonic languages.

>>75004794
>The 行ける form dates back to the Muromachi period at the earliest, and did not enter common use until much later. On the other hand, れる and られる date back to the Heian period in the form of る and らる, and these have always had a potential meaning. And even earlier than that, in the Nara period, you had ゆ and らゆ which were used in the same way.
This is correct. I don't know what got into me.
>>
>>75004868
>I've seen it mentioned that 行ける might've come from 行きえる, which seems plausible at first glance.
And I mentioned that in my post as well.

>>75004874
I feel like the 行かれる→行ける should be more accepted by western linguists who love saying that 五段 verbs have a consonant-ending root and 一段 verbs have a vowel-ending root and that the 未然形 doesn't actually exist, since you have to divide 行かれる into ik-areru in order to delete the -ar-.
But I don't give a shit about what western linguists think about Japanese anyway.
>>
>>75005108
>And I mentioned that in my post as well.
Please be patient, I have attention deficiencies
>>
>>75005108
I sure believe the 未然形 exists, at least in classical japanese where it has a grammatical function, and modern japanese which inherits from it. If you're referring to Vovin, I think the most silly things he's said about japanese verbal categories are things he said back when he still believed in Altaic, though I haven't kept a chronology of what he believed at what times since I don't have OCD.

>But I don't give a shit about what western linguists think about Japanese anyway.

If not from "western linguists", then from me, a crackpot non-linguist: One of the reasons is that it gives a transparent modern-ish morphology for it. Speaking from the perspective of language change, inflections with opaque morphology become fusional (see: navajo) or ornamental very quickly, or get replaced by other, transparent constructions. The only real exceptions are when the inflection represents something very close to universal grammar, like basic tense, or deriving different grammatical categories (participles, etc). Also ありえる.
>>
>>75005213
Also, language change *loves* deriving new forms from parallel etymology, though mainstream linguists are very hesitant to say anything about it because it brings out the cranks.
>>
>>75004660
ありがとう
>>
>>74999751
If you look up れる or られる in a dictionary:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/235119/meaning/m1u/%E3%82%8C%E3%82%8B/
You get four usages: 受け身 (passive), 可能 (potential), 自発 (spontaneous), 尊敬 (honorific).

The explanation it gives for 自発 is:
>自然と…られる。つい…られてくる。
In other words, something happening suddenly all on its own.
To use the example from the れる definition:
>故郷に残した両親のことが思い出される
I am suddenly reminded of the parents I left behind in my home town.
And from the られる definition:
>性格が性格だから将来が案じられる
His personality being what it is, he gets worried about the future.
We express this through the passive voice in English, but it's distinct in that the person or thing who actually does the verb is unclear, and the focus is on the verb simply happening, not on the verb being done to something by something else.
>>
Why the fuck did Lang-8 close registration? That was an amazing resource.
>>
>>74988124
What are you having problems with in particular? Anki has a bit of a learning curve, but it's such powerful software that it's extremely worth it.
>>
Will ITH work with steam games like Danganronpa? I was thinking of reading it next.
>>
>>75006711
I don't know about danganronpa specifically but I know that it doesn't matter whether the game is on steam or not, ITH can attach to the process like normally anyway.
>>
>>74986767
Half an hour a day becomes full on when you're also actively studying two other languages.
>>74989664
Thank you, I'll take that onboard
My goal is to do the 6k deck, and after the 2k, to start supplement my reading with manga and the like
>>
>>75008369
>Half an hour a day becomes full on when you're also actively studying two other languages.
We don't care, this thread is for japanese. Everybody has the same number of hours in the day and by posting in here is either admitting priority to japanese or dropping it.
>>
>>74995110
It takes a lot of reading to start seeing words as "snapshots" of a concept, if you can't read this, it's probably because you're still in the kanji recognition phase and depends on having a clear isolated look at each symbol.

Keep pushing!
>>
>>75008615
Kek wtf
Did /djt/ become a religion?
"Pledge absolute allegiance or prepare for hell-fire, heathen!"
Calm down you fucking autist
>>
>>75009538
While he is overreacting a bit, ultimately there are only so many hours in a day. You'll have to prioritize what you really care about. A man who chases two hares catches neither.
>>
>>75009575
I have no doubt. At the moment I've been prioritising the other two (as well as work and uni, obvs) above Japanese
But my initial issue wasn't with the time exactly, but rather the 20 new words daily.
I was wondering if anyone else had issues with it, from my time studying languages in the past I normally covered about 10 words a day (except for the first few months where you make much more progress)
>>
Is there any difference between "はなします" and "はなせます" besides dialect?
>>
>>75009706
You're gonna only be talking to people here who are extremely passionate about learning japanese. They'd do 100 words a day if it was humanly possible.

20 is doable, but it probably requires more time than you want to put in.
>>
File: 1_000000007340.jpg (71KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
1_000000007340.jpg
71KB, 1000x900px
>>75010149
>>
>>75010149
Yeah I learned To "Speak" as はなします, but Duolingo keeps using はなせます for what appears to just be polite present form.
>>
File: cigs.gif (437KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
cigs.gif
437KB, 500x281px
>>74957200

>I finished my college semester last week with 4 A's (math, chem, music theory, and composition) and I did my 日本語 the whole way through.

Are you telling me you did 20 words a day in anki, got A's in school, and performed a full-time job at the same fucking time?

I refuse to believe it. And if you managed to pull it off, what did you sacrifice? Socializing with friends?

You might be prepared for that sacrifice

But.I...I am not.
>>
>>75010880
>having friends
>socializing
>>
>>75010915
Japanese isn't just for NEETs, friend
>>
リア充爆発せよ
>>
The new Duolingo course seems pretty fun. I'll play with it for the next week or so and see if it's any good.

Has anyone found much success with Human Japanese? Was thinking about pairing the two together so I have a little more structure and explanation.
>>
>>75011045
If you use these things at all you should finish them within a few months. They're not necessarily bad but in practice will harm more people than they help by fostering the delusion that grammar exercises are sufficient to learn Japanese.
>>
>>75011293
Duolingo hasn't taught me much, but it certainly makes you more cautious when typing incorrect constructions. Kinda like shock therapy.
And the more I study grammar, the more I manage to overcome those really long/tricky sentences I would just fail every time before.
There was a sentence "I read whenever I eat" which I couldn't for the life of me get right, the suggested correct answer being some combo of stuff like 食べるの間にいつも読む (but I always mess it up, I'm sure there's more to it), and I recently circumvented it by using what I learned with ながら. Worked in a way more straightforward way.

>>75011045
How are the lessons, do they teach you kana? Do they teach you to type in Japanese with a white pig keyboard? Is there furigana everywhere? Are there even kanji?
>>
>>75011531

They focus on hiragana at the beginning. From what I can tell they slide katakana and kanji in over time. I haven't gotten to the point where I have to type anything yet, but I hope that's done later.
>>
>>75007277
The reason why I mostly ask is because I know it doesn't work with Phoenix Wright if you emulate it. You can't get the text file from it.
>>
>>75011760
Emulators are different
>>
>>75011663
Woah, weird. They usually get you typing right away in most courses, maybe they reeeeeally dumbed this version down.
>>
File: 50146348_p0.jpg (37KB, 419x424px) Image search: [Google]
50146348_p0.jpg
37KB, 419x424px
>一筋縄では行かない
長い言葉は何ですか?
>>
>>75011913

I'm sure the web version has more of that. The one thing I never liked about the mobile version is the over reliance on multiple choice.
>>
File: 1478139202434.jpg (10KB, 194x273px) Image search: [Google]
1478139202434.jpg
10KB, 194x273px
I can't decide on what I should actually read. I think I might be stalling.
>>
>>75006109
It looks like the company's pivoting or rebranding.
>>
>>75012883
Looking at their company site now and I never realized it was a Japanese company.
>>
>>75006109
they want you to use hinative instead

I never liked lang8 too much though desu
>>
>>75012733
Baldr Sky

Or if you're still garbage at Japanese just go read about shepards and libraries.
>>
>>75013264
大図書館の羊飼い
>>
File: 1479801156846.jpg (150KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1479801156846.jpg
150KB, 540x540px
>>75013020
>>75013440
Is it actually retard-friendly?
>>
>>75013733
nothing is but you should read it anyway (assuming you have read through Tae Kim and can read Yotsuba)
>>
Is there anything you can't stick 真 in front of? Jeez
>>
>>75005809
Thanks for the explanation. I've probably encountered it before, just unknowingly. It seems like it would take some practice to identify in the wild, so I'll have to look out for it.
>>
>>75010880
I never said anything about a full-time job, but yeah, I rarely spent time with friends, maybe once every two or three weeks.
>>
What does the verbたらverbたで construction mean? Is this another form of verbばverbほど "the more, the more..."?

Like 聞いたら聞いたで、考えたら考えたで、感じたら感じたで、etc
>>
>>75011045
I got my whole foundation from Human Japanese, it's by far the most comfy introductory course there is.
>>
>>75014497
Sometimes, after the masturbation had concluded, I just read it so I can know what kind of writing turns me on, in terms of grammar and vocabulary.

also sometimes i found a new fetish
>>
>>74989844
is this accurate?
>>
>>75014497
It would be pretty stupid to read a lot of them for the purpose of masturbation. Way too much effort for the mediocre vanilla sex scenes
>>
西欧の白人に関しては同情できないかな。
世界中を植民地にして、今更被害者面とかしないで欲しいわ。
結局、最後に残る白人は東欧のスラブ系だけじゃね?
>>
>>75015501
スレ間違いのでは?
>>
>>75014497
You don't read them for entertainment, you read them to wipe that smug look off of dekinai's face.
>>
>>75010765
It's just english being weird. When you say "I speak Japanese" you usually mean that you are able to speak japanese, not that you are literally speaking japanese at that moment. But in Japanese these are separate words.
話せます -> to be able to speak,
話します -> to speak
>>
File: 1467453917919.gif (37KB, 381x173px) Image search: [Google]
1467453917919.gif
37KB, 381x173px
>suddenly, unexpectedly, all of a sudden
>bravely, boldly
>worryingly, fretting
There are around 1000 words for these in Core and they are all retarded ぴっぴり-looking words.

I can't learn Japanese.
>>
File: IMG_2201.png (57KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2201.png
57KB, 640x1136px
>>74995573
>its was truly the remnant of a dream of the summer grasses.
Nice. But where did ども go in this translation?
>>
>>74995573
>>75016119
>Because this ?? leaves me in a torpor.
I intended for ども to be there instead of this double question mark. Multiple copypasting screw it up.
>>
File: 1428954794565.png (257KB, 800x837px) Image search: [Google]
1428954794565.png
257KB, 800x837px
>>74995573
Oh I think I've got it. So you consider it a pluralizer 共 like in the original stanza? I never thought of it this way because combining it with "grass" seemed kinda absurd to me. And I never heard of this piece of poetry. Thanks!
>>
>>75014198
It implies that the result won't change even if you "verb".
>>
Am I supposed to push out my jaw forward like with underbite to pronounce い like in はやし?
>>
>>75020207
I don't get it, how does that change the sound?
>>
https://www.4chan.org/janitorapp
Apply for /djt/ so we don't have to deal with spam.
>>
>>75021938
Is there spam? I didn't see any in this thread at least.
>>
File: IMG_2200.png (109KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2200.png
109KB, 640x1136px
Any ideas what these ぞ and ぬる mean?
>>
okay. time to break this rust

2000words in anki, should i do all 2000 today or only do like 200 a day untl it normalizes? i shut off new cards until this normalizes
>>
>>75014181
even on the internet?
>>
>>75023943
にぞ means で

Not sure about the last one but they are both very archaic and/or poetic language, not really something you need to know unless you are especially interested.
>>
>>75025391
>unless you are especially interested.
Not that I'm so very interested, but still I'd rather be able to understand dictionary articles.
>>
>>75025225
what kind of turboNEETism is this?
>>
File: km7Lw1[1].png (121KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
km7Lw1[1].png
121KB, 1280x1024px
>>75025865
im serious

i have to get back on track so i can get the N3 tthis winter
>>
>>75026481
well good luck
but 200 a day is a big task unless you have a large amount of time to dedicate to it
>>
>白い目で見る
>Expression, Ichidan verb
1. to look coldly at; to turn a cold shoulder
Is it to look with the whites of the eye or to look with a some kind of "white" eye?
>>
File: 1418424750466.png (151KB, 451x505px) Image search: [Google]
1418424750466.png
151KB, 451x505px
Make sure you 読書三昧 and not 玩物喪志
>>
>>75025290
Well, of course I texted with friends here and there, but as far as total time for that sort of thing goes it was tops 30 minutes a day. Then I spent maybe half an hour on DJT and a couple other threads I follow.
>>
I guess someone will have to update the guide to include Duolingo.
>>
>>75016119
I'm pretty sure this ども is 共, the humble plural suffix, since in the original haiku the line is 兵ども, "soldiers, warriors." The conjunctive ども comes after the 已然形 of inflected words, as in 行けども, 静かなれど, 早けれども.

>>75023943
That's an example sentence written in 文語. The ぬる is the 連体形 of ぬ, the perfective auxiliary verb (roughly analogous to ~た or ~てしまう in modern Japanese, in most cases). It's in the 連体形 instead of the 終止形 because of the bound emphatic particle ぞ.
>秋来(き)ぬと目にはさやかに見えねども風の音にぞおどかれぬる
秋が来たと、目にはさやかに見えなけれど、風の音に驚かれてしまう
When autumn has come, though it is not immediately apparent to my eyes, I find I am always surprised at the sound of the wind.

来ぬ is the 連用形 of 来(く) plus the 終止形 of the perfective auxiliary verb ぬ. 見えねども is the 連用形 of 見ゆ plus the 已然形 of the negative auxiliary verb ず plus the conjunctive particle ども. ぞ is an emphatic bound particle emphasizing 風の音に. 驚かれぬる is the 已然形 of 驚く plus the the 連用形 of the spontaneous/passive auxiliary verb る plus the 連体形 of the perfective auxiliary verb ぬ, which is bound into that form by ぞ.
>>
>>75031400
>驚かれぬる is the 已然形 of 驚く plus
I meant 未然形, not 已然形. Sorry.
>>
I wonder if I'll ever be as 上手 as 亜米利加様...
>>
File: IMG_3715.png (133KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3715.png
133KB, 1242x2208px
So does the duolingo course eventually require typing out the Japanese? Picking from cards is nice to start but I eventually want to respond purely from memory.
>>
Sorry for asking this but I need to know what to do next. I've memorized all of the kana and I'm asking for recommendations on where to start next. Should I start on grammar or attempt to use Anki to learn words?
>>
File: Capture.png (77KB, 678x72px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
77KB, 678x72px
wats this?
>>
>>75033172
Maybe a 義訓 spelling of 広がる?
It makes sense in context I think.
>>
>>75033341
Seems plausible I guess. Thanks
>>
>>75032801

If all you have is kana you need to move on to proper teaching material. I'd do duolingo with the core 2k anki set in the op guide.
>>
>>75033341
This is my guess too, I actually didn't notice the kanji was wrong until I did a double-take
>>
File: 130.png (919KB, 1098x1019px) Image search: [Google]
130.png
919KB, 1098x1019px
To me it seems like 見ていていることは面白い or 見ていているのは面白い would be more grammatically correct, is using the て form a way to nominalize verbs and talk about them or something?
>>
>>75034081

Shit I meant みていること. My bad
>>
>>75034081
て+[a feeling] is a common construction.
>>
>>75034081
見てておもしろい is grammatically correct.
It's the difference between "Is it fun to watch?" and "Is watching fun?"
>>
File: IMG_3716.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3716.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
So for the sake of starting out with the core 2k deck. Should I not worry too much about fully understanding the example sentence?
>>
>>75034718
Ideally by the time you start SRS you should already know some basic grammar so it shouldn't be that hard to understand the structure (and the other words are thought later in the deck)
>>
>>75034081
I understand the pages are read Right to Left
but what about inside the speech bubbles?
>>
is there an anki deck or website I can visit to drill singular kanji in my thick skull instead of combinations of them?

The recommended anki deck often introduces several new kanji in one word, meaning that I end up having to memorize the word itself, not the kanji, which is slow and frustrating for me.
In situations where I learn the possible readings of kanjis and see them put together, I often know the reading and meaning of them instantly, just by logic.

Like 年下 and 年上. I saw these for the first time, read "low year, high year" and guessed "young, senior". Same for 金持ち- "money own" just naturally led me to think "rich".

The deck does this "piecewise" teaching sometimes, but I noticed that my learning got a lot slower once it decided to shovel a bunch of random kanji on me without teaching me each one first, and whenever I figure out the varied readings for each kanji the hard way I automatically memorize a chunk of them.
>>
>>75038301
Kanjidamage/rtk
>>
File: 1466877857494.jpg (25KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1466877857494.jpg
25KB, 360x240px
Vocab is easy enough. But, I feel like I'm never going to memorize hiragana/katakana.
rip
>>
File: 1494182488169.jpg (119KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494182488169.jpg
119KB, 800x600px
>>75039223
wut
>>
>>75039437
no idea
>>
>>75039223
Just right them out like once and then start translating kana sentences and it should stick
>>
バイクのエンジン音は、マフラーを落としたのではと思うくらいうるさく、振動も、どこか壊れているのかと疑うほどに激しい。

"The sound of the motorbike's engine was loud [], and the vibration too, was intense []"... I'm having trouble wording the modifiers.

マフラーを落としたのではと思うくらいうるさく

"Because the muffler fell off, it was as loud as you'd expect"
I felt like at first it was this, but I feel like it could also be ""マフラーを落としたのでは""と思うくらいうるさく, "It was as loud as if to think that it was because the muffler fell off". Which is right?

I don't know what the に in ほどに is adding. Can I simply just think of it as "to the extent that" ほど? Thanks for any help.
>>
For example:
僕は春子さんを慰めてあげた and 僕は春子さんを慰めた would basically mean the same thing, but the first one with "ageta" has more emotion because I did a favor, right?
I'm confused about how, or rather when to use TE+giving verbs.
>>
>>75040662
>バイクのエンジン音は、マフラーを落としたのではと思うくらいうるさく
The sound of the motorcycle's engine was so loud that you might wonder if the muffler hadn't fallen off,
>振動も、どこか壊れているのかと疑うほどに激しい
And the vibration, too, was so intense that one would doubt that some part somewhere wasn't broken.
>>
>>75040662
>but I feel like it could also be ""マフラーを落としたのでは""と思うくらいうるさく, "It was as loud as if to think that it was because the muffler fell off". Which is right?
that one
>>
>>75040662
>Can I simply just think of it as "to the extent that" ほど?
pretty much yes
>>
So for people who have gotten far. What were some major milestones you hit and about how long did it take you for each?
>>
>>75043504
>major milestones
the simultaneously fun and terrible part about learning japanese is that they don't exist
>>
>>75043504
I guess first was when I started reading material aimed at natives, specifically visual novels, after like a year maybe. Then next one was taking N2 after around three years.
>>
File: 132.png (526KB, 1046x525px) Image search: [Google]
132.png
526KB, 1046x525px
Typically くんな means くるな = don't come, right? But here I'm guessing he's just throwing in な for the hell of it?
>>
>>75044600
seems like ね but more manly
>>
>>75044600
>>75044976
Sounds about right. Here is another example of this being used:
https://www.pixiv.net/novel/show.php?id=7379919
>「和(name)?どうした?」
>「んー、なんか怠いんですよね。ちょっと寒気がする」
>「寒気?風邪でも引いたんじゃねえか?」
>「ん-、まぁ今日はオフですから寝てたら治りますよ」
>「無理すんなよ?なんかあったらメールして」
>「わかりました。とりあえず、構わず仕事行ってください」
>「おう。じゃ、行ってくんな」
>>
File: 1484999235142.png (29KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1484999235142.png
29KB, 200x200px
>>75012343
>>75032001
Phoneposters are truly the ultimate scum of the Earth, look at this garbage language "learning" tool, it's not even funny. There is nothing like that on the desktop version, I think they assume the IQ of phoneposters is at least 30 points lower, so they have to dumb it down like something a 5 years old can solve. Holy sopa.

>n-no, it's about usability, it's not practical to type on a phone
You know what else is not practical do to on a phone? Everything. Get yourself a computer, cool kid.
>>
>>75044600
Yeah, I guess if you were there in real life you'd probably be able to tell from the tone of voice whether it was a negative imperative or just a sentence ending な, but here you just have to use the context. It's pretty easy in this particular case because he's made himself the subject, so obviously he isn't going to be giving himself a command.
>>
>>75040970
>>75042334
>>75042924
Thank you.
>>
File: 1481754052319.png (518KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481754052319.png
518KB, 500x720px
>read Tae Kim
>can't accurately recall most of it
>>
>>75045635

How fast did it take you to get through it? Maybe a second reading would help? (I haven't gotten to Tae Kim yet. Not even sure when to approach it)
>>
>>75045635
If you read it once, congrats you can use it as an index while actually reading raw material
>>
Why is 午後 written like that instead of 午々 or even 午午
>>
>>75045795
Why is afternoon written like that instead of noon2 or even noonnoon?
>>
>>75045893
hm, :thinking:
thanks
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (247KB, 1956x979px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
247KB, 1956x979px
Anyone mind double checking my TL here.

>Although, it may be difficult with a roommate.
>|t’s not like you will be together forever~

It seems literally correct, but I think I'm missing something.
>>
>>75045683
Rather than a second reading, you should try a different resource (like JTMW or something) to get a new take on the concepts.
>>
>>75046190
looks good to me
>>
File: consciousness.jpg (169KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
consciousness.jpg
169KB, 864x648px
>Daily Anki reps
>New card with the kanji 暗記 appears
>Anki = memorization
Wow.
>>
>>75046190

I had to read it twice, but it is technically correct. The line "Although, it may be difficult with a roommate" sounds weird. I think it might be that comma after "Although" and the period between the two sentences.

I'd rephrase it simply as

> Although it may be difficult with a roommate, it's not like you will be together forever

It's crazy how much punctuation completely changes the flow.
>>
I heard this line and I am wondering what it means. It's possible i misheard some of it.
おねえちゃん の くち なかに いっぱい このちょだい
I understand "your sister's mouth [something] full of [something]"
>>
>>75046703
It just seems strange that it's not clarifying what will be difficult because she will not be with the roommate forever.

Taking care of the cat will be difficult? That doesn't make much sense, because you really only need one person to take care of cat.
>>
File: 1329983991431.gif (362KB, 135x120px) Image search: [Google]
1329983991431.gif
362KB, 135x120px
>>75046794
not sure what you're expecting from here
>>
>>75046886

The light haired person's roommate maybe wouldn't like a cat? Without prior context to these characters I'm not even sure who's talking in the panel of speech bubbles.
>>
Kanji was a mistake
>>
>>75046978
That might be it.

>>75047100
https://puu.
sh/vPY3M/cd7d3d6ac0.rar

It's the first chapter of a new series.
There are the raws.
>>
>>75047184
okay i got a bit confused now myself
but I think they are talking about taking care of the cat as difficult with 同居, because she refers to the cat as "the/this friend" and to the fact it won't live that long in comparison to humans
>>
File: Untitled14.png (595KB, 1292x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled14.png
595KB, 1292x1025px
>>74980454
test
>>
>>75047332
>and to the fact it won't live that long in comparison to humans
I don't know, that seems kind of strange in the context of the story.
>>
>>75047567
this passage may be ambiguous on purpose to give it a double meaning
either way I'd leave it the way you've translated it, plus what this guy said >>75046703
>>
>>75047726
>on purpose to give it a double meaning
Yeah, that's probably what it is. I just hate things like that.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
>>
File: 1495185491278.png (985KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1495185491278.png
985KB, 666x1000px
>>75046612
really lubricates those lobes dont it
>>
>>75047122
Two towers weren't enough
>>
File: elfen#05_039.jpg (338KB, 944x1400px) Image search: [Google]
elfen#05_039.jpg
338KB, 944x1400px
can someone tell me what the fuck this guy is saying in the last text bubble
>>
>>75048458
>*unsheaths gun*
>Nothing persona kid.
More or less.
>>
>>75048458

>答えにただでは済ませないぞ

Without context I can't really tell but that should get you started
>>
>>75048458
答えによっては depending on the answer
ただではすませない i won't let get away scot-free (awkward translation)
>>
Is there a fixed order to combine verbal tenses?

For instance.
食べている + 食べなかった

How about
たべなかっていた?
たべていなかった?
What if I
たべてなかっていた?
たべていなかっていた?
>>
>>75050846
なかって is an improper conjugation. You might hear it sometimes in some dialects, but in 標準語 the te-form of ない is なくて. And I don't think you would ever say なくている.
>>
>>75051657
>And I don't think you would ever say なくている.
You don't, なくて isn't an infinitive and doesn't allow direct linking like that.
>>
>>75051657
>>75052012
Okay, but forget about the examples for a moment. What are the possible permutations you are aware of, if any?
>>
File: 134.png (629KB, 1043x695px) Image search: [Google]
134.png
629KB, 1043x695px
Can someone explain this sentence for me, and also what is デロデロにする?
>>
>>75052301
>ベッドの隣にいるはずのゾーイに手をのばしたことも何度となくあった
enjoy
>>
>>75047387
looks good, saved
>>
>>75052458

The translation says "I prefer to let these four-minute ramen sit for six minutes. I like them a bit soggier."

Specifically I'm confused about のところ, the て form with 待つ, and デロデロにする
>>
>>75052510
ところを means "although something is a particular way" here
て is a conjunction
http://mixi.jp/view_community.pl?id=876686
>>
>>75052602

So it's basically like (very rough translation) "As for me, although these noodles have already been sitting here for four minutes, I'll wait 6 more and they'll get a little soggier because I like it that way" ?

And デロデロにする just means "get soggy" in the Japanese noodle community or something?
>>
>>75052739
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/2d1ay1/locating_definitions_for_notwordsonomatopoeias/

>(native speaker)
>I don't think that this デロデロ is used widely, though. It sounds new and slangy. On the other hand, デロデロ as 'drunk/intoxicated' is an established word. It's used for people who are drunk to the point they can't speak or walk properly and are on the verge of collapsing. There may or may not be some common elements between these two usages.

Also it's a very bad idea to think of 僕は/俺は/私は like that. Instead you should think of it as "<pronoun> fits into the situation I'm about to describe somewhere but nobody actually cares where, just the fact that it's related."
>>
>>75052881

Thanks
>>
>>75045422
Duolingo Japanese doesn't have a browser version yet.
>>
File: 2017-05-20 16.26.45.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-20 16.26.45.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
>>
>>75055153
What are these? Light Novels? Regular novels?
>>
>>75055442
regular novels
>>
Is there a mouseover translator that works with Word?
I use WaKan but it seems to glitch out when I run Office and stops giving pop-ups.
>>
>>75056745
Try using other ワープロ, LibreOffice, for instance (I recommend the portable version).
>>
File: f57.jpg (8KB, 261x216px) Image search: [Google]
f57.jpg
8KB, 261x216px
>>75031400
>The ぬる is the 連体形 of ぬ, the perfective auxiliary verb
Why do you call ぬ a verb when it appears to be a suffix?
https://tldrify.com/n6z
>来ぬ is the 連用形 of 来
How come? I thought 連用形 is supposed to go before the noun it refers to. Like 差し込んだ日差し、泣きじゃくった少女. Not after.
>ぞ is an emphatic bound particle
After some googling, it looks like only Haruo Srirane uses this term. Why "bound"? What binds it? Is it really special or just another emphatic particle from the same group as wa, sa, yo?
>plus the 連体形 of the perfective auxiliary verb ぬ, which is bound into that form by ぞ.
Never heard of verbs being "bound" by particles. Where can I read about that?
>>
What does this mean? と言ったら「お前は絶対ひもになるwひも太郎だw」と言われた
俺は絶対紐にならないからなぁぁ!
>>
>>75049498
>答えによっては depending on the answer
ah this makes sense, thanks

>>75049295
thanks
>>
File: tsukihen.gif (263B, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
tsukihen.gif
263B, 32x32px
>にくづき
>肉 + 月 + rendaku
>both characters look the same when at left, hence the name 胞

Fuck, this finally makes sense.
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.