[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1801

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1482175585686.png (340KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
1482175585686.png
340KB, 863x752px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Special /int/ FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to /a/
Fuck /a/

Last thread
>>70519117
>>
thx、germany.
>>
>>70609317
なにか somehow
うすら寒い is a set phrase.
It seems that a dictionary says 'chilly'.
>>
>Italy's kanji has 太 in it

lmao
>>
ill try to learn it i guess

i don't know any language except english and greek but this is possible obviously, how long do you think it would take to get to intermediate thread?
>>
>>70608671
汚行..いや、乙
>>
File: 132283313770.jpg (132KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
132283313770.jpg
132KB, 500x400px
>>70608290
>1. When I went to Japan, I often found when I asked for こちゃ, I would be corrected with ミルクティー. ぎゅうにゅう would also be corrected with ミルク. Perhaps it was my pronunciation at fault, or people were trying to help - but are English loanwords more common with some things than original Japanese?
They are. I use Japanese words on purpose, like the ones you mentioned (although I've only had written conversations) just to test limits, but I'm aware most Japanese will just go with the dirty katakana piggu glossary.

Tobira instead of door, tsuukou instead of communication, kusugu instead of punchline... aways tsukue or dai, never table.
Although some are inevitable, like shirt, since they are inherently foreigner.

Always remember there are two kinds of people: the mass, who just wants to communicate, and the educated, who have an informed sense/taste for their own language.
Maybe everyone will swear to you "nobody uses tobira, just use doa instead", but I feel only after some serious immersion (if you ever get the chance) you will be able to actually confirm those things by yourself with literature, grammar-enforcing platforms and others.

I also hate when they correct my kanji'd words into kana form, I feel it's the equivalent of Internet people writing with no capital letters or punctuation because "it's more common this way".

When someone gives you advice, go past the initial layer of "they are native, they know what they're doing" and imagine "how would an average teen-aged Brit correct an English learner on as far as grammar/vocabulary go?"
When I think of the average Brazilian native speaker, I can only frown upon the disgusting dialects being spread around.

tl;dr: get with the times, gramps. Or don't and join me in this autistic journey through grammar nazism.
>>
>>70612756
about a year of your fucking life

learn the alphabet before you do anything
>>
>>70613403
>うすら寒い
Yeah nah I'll stick to miruku thanks.
>>
>>70613956
Oops, ignore that greentext.
>>
File: notameme.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
notameme.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
Adjectival Nouns #24: Advanced Adjectival Nouns

彼は歴然たる事実を否定した。・かれはれきぜんたるじじつをひていした。・He denied an evident fact.

社長は淡々と話しました。・しゃちょうはたんたんとはなしました。・The company president spoke coolly.

彼は歴然たる事実を否定した。

否定・ヒテイ・deny is made up of 否・ヒ・refuse and 定・テイ・decide/establish. 否 is comprised of 不 not, which is a pictogram of the calyx of the flower (the bottom green bits that protect the bud) and 口 mouth. It is unclear why the calyx is used to represent not, however one hypothesis is that when the calyx is closed the flower has NOT bloomed. Together 不 not and 口 mouth show refusal. 定 is made up of 宀 roof and 正 long journey, the meaning of the kanji is fixed meaning that if you are under a 宀 roof you are unable to go on a 正 long journey, so your position is fixed or established. Together 否定 show a 定 fixed 否 refusal, or denial.

彼は he (subject)・歴然たる事実を evident fact (object)・否定した。deny did.

社長は淡々と話しました。

You know all these kanji.

社長は company president (subject) ・淡々と話しました。coolly spoke.

As I said at the beginning of the section, as you gain more kanji, your reading comprehension increases. The actual etymological stories are not that important, I don't expect you to remember them, but they do build a mental bridge to retain the kanji themselves.

There are three phases to my learning approach:
1. Read the etymological story and create a picture in your mind. Lock that picture into the kanji.
2. Read the kanji in a sentence once every day for three days. This will lock it into short-term memory.
3. Revisit the kanji in the sentence once every 10 days for a month. If you forget the kanji, repeat step 2.

That is it, remember that language is about repetition.

以上
>>
>>70614890
DISCLAIMER: This person doesn't speak Japanese (after supposedly studying for 10 yeras), don't take any of his advice.
>>
I have almost finished genki 2, but I need some more fluidity with how I write and speak. Is there any short stories to help flesh out my Japanese?
>>
>progress becoming not noticeable even when engaging in native material

I did it
I'm a true intermediate now
>>
>>70616020
Time to production, forced immersion and looking for natives if you intend leaving it.
>>
>>70616020
I'm past that stage with Japanese but just entering it with Chinese. At least now I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
How do you knows get more fluent with Japanese? I know all the grammar, but whenever I speak I fuck it all up.
>>
>>70617117
Knowing grammar and vocabulary is important but they only way to get better at speaking is by speaking
>>
>>70617117
Speaking more. Talk to yourself, explain concepts with in your own voice. Narrate your breakfast, discuss a subject with yourself.

If you have a really hard time, try impersonating certain characters or people you know. That will help you find a "flow" and, even if you don't adopt it in the end, it will make you noticed better how to chain words.

For learning English, I would often imitate Indians, British, niggers, rednecks, blockbuster badasses, clingy mothers, what have you.
See some character you like? Imitate it on the spot. Get his catchphrases, then improvise your own sentences with the same "feeling".

(I'm assuming you really know what you said you know, else it'll be kinda impossible).
>>
File: 1.jpg (133KB, 1000x918px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
133KB, 1000x918px
>>70617117
Move to Japan for a few months or more.
>>
How do you say something is more likely to happen? I don't know if I'm completely off the wrong track but this is what I have so far:

>病気で死ぬのは老人の方よ。
>Old people are more likely to die from illness. (lit: dying by means of illness, direction of old people).

I haven't finished TK yet so I'm not sure if I just haven't reached that grammar explanation yet. Having trouble finding answers on google.
>>
>>70617748
create a lang8 account if you want to produce
>>
>>70617748
年を取るに連れて病気で亡くなる可能性が高くなる。
老人は、(若い人)より病気で亡くなることが多い。
>>
Is 十分 one of those phonetic On compounds where the kanji themselves have nothing to do with each other or the end meaning, and are just used to produce the sound necessary for the word?
>>
>>70618830
十二分
>>
>>70618853
>十二分
Huh... okay... Why are multiples of ten involved here, exactly? Is this an explainable idiom?
>>
>>70618876
Er, twelve, not 20, but you get what I'm trying to understand, I hope.
>>
>>70618830
I'm pretty sure it was originally 充分 and is sometimes written as 十分 because it's similar in pronunciation and appearance.
>>
>>70618949
Ohh, that makes a lot of sense, actually. Thanks.
>>
File: 1453397160007.png (470KB, 665x640px) Image search: [Google]
1453397160007.png
470KB, 665x640px
>>70618830

十 ten 分 one tenth - literally ten out of ten -> hence perfectly, thoroughly, fully

十 ten 分 divided -> division into ten

十 complete 分 fraction of -> plenty, enough, sufficient, satisfactory, adequate

From the Old Chinese, 十 /*ɡjub/ 分 /*pɯn/ -> or now Japanese じゅうぶん.
>>
>>70618949

From a Chinese perspective there is a nuance between 充分 chōngfèn (adjective: ample, full, abundant) and 十分 shífēn (adverb: very, extremely, utterly). 十分 is also a noun in Chinese.
>>
>>70619380
>>70619462
Huh, I see. I didn't realize 分 could mean "one tenth" - all the cards I had mentioning it talked about "parts" and "dividing".
>>
>>70619523

分 【ブ】 one-tenth, one percent (one-tenth of a wari), 3 mm (one-tenth of a sun), 2.4 mm (one-tenth of a mon, a traditional unit used to measure shoe sizes), 0.1 degree (one-tenth of a do, used to measure body temperature on any temperature scale), one-quarter of a ryou (obsolete unit of currency), thickness, advantageous circumstances, one-tenth of a monme of silver

I wouldn't worry too much, its a mathematical term.
>>
>>70619380
>>70619462
>>70619618
DISCLAIMER: This person doesn't speak Japanese (after supposedly studying for 10 yeras), don't take any of his advice.
>>
>>70613403
It's also worth remembering that the Japanese went through a phase in the 20th century where it was cool to give everything foreign names, from brands to everyday objects. They're kind of over this now thanks to globalization, but it has affected the language to the point where Japanese will use random English or French mid-conversation to accentuate a point.

I've heard ポジチズシンキング used before which sounds god awful.
>>
>>70619930
>This person doesn't speak Japanese
People aren't here to learn to speak. They're here to learn to read / listen..
>>
>>70620356
Begging your pardon?
>>
>>70620147
>ポジチズシンキング
What?
>>
>>70620449
ポジティブシンキング
でしょうね
プラス思考とも言う
>>
>>70620539
Thanks
>>
>>70620356
I'm fairly sure that tripfag can't even read novels.
>>
>>70608671
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>70620356
>They're here to learn to read / listen..
The tripfag can't write decent Japanese when he starts producing his own as opposed to his copy/paste "lessons"。
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.