[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm thinking of getting some kind of screen tablet since

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: DIv_FHuUQAAer5a.jpg (66KB, 578x919px) Image search: [Google]
DIv_FHuUQAAer5a.jpg
66KB, 578x919px
So I'm thinking of getting some kind of screen tablet since apparently it's much easier to draw with than a regular tablet( I have a wacom bamboo create).

What kind of screen tablet should i get? People mention cintique but apparently there are better and cheaper options?
>>
a "screen tablet" It doesn't make much difference from a plain one
>>
>>3134848
post you work and we'll tell you if you need a screen tablet. the only worth while ones are in the thousands of dollars range anyway
>>
If you can get lucky try to buy one of the older 21UX models. Some of my fav niplords still use those dinosaurs. Preferably get the 2nd generation if you can though those are hard to come buy and at a good price.
>>3134865
>t. I can't afford good tools
I digress. I'll never go back to a plain tablet. I'd rather draw on paper and scan it in than it and I've been using one for years.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (509KB, 1150x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
509KB, 1150x1000px
>>3134866
I'm just practicing atm.

I heard that an ipad bro is good.
>>
File: studylines.png (158KB, 1007x1337px) Image search: [Google]
studylines.png
158KB, 1007x1337px
>>3134876
>>
>>3134865
It does if you're making linearts. I don't like screen tablets, but I'm painting instead of drawing lines, but by friends, "lineart" people can't live without their screen tablets.
>>
>>3134848
So, ipad pro at least, is pretty good but I find it's much harder to get cleaner/smooth lines with it, partly because there isn't any software like clip studio etc. but also because the surface is SUPER slick. I think I might even find it harder than using actual inking pens.

Maybe a brush is comparable.. but it might even be touchier than that.. I can't think of it.

ANYway.

I'm also someone who has used a tablet for years and years, and honest truth? Drawing on screen doesn't actually seem that much easier, if at all, to drawing with a tablet.

The only bonus is you can actually draw while seeing everything, you don't have to rely on zoom so much, though for good clean lines, you still sort of do, maybe some people have better technique I dunno.

Other downside of ipad is that you don't have access to your art programs, like clip studio or sai or whatever is really good for lines.

Don't get me wrong ipad has some good programs, like procreate, but they don't have stabilizers or etc. to make up for stuff etc. and they don't have as many features, or at least, not as easily access perhaps in the ui, or can't do as many things or at least not easily etc. etc.

Saving formatting etc. is a bit of a pain too.

Cintiq etc. I can't comment on but if the experience is as good as drawing on ipad pro it would probably be worth it for a screen artist.

I still actually think I can probably do good inks faster with real actual ink than digitally because of the zoom thing and tablets or screens having no catch/drag like paper.. I dunno though I might actually be experienced enough digitally now it may make no difference not sure.

If that drawing on the left in the OP is yours, you're better than me at drawing, but not by too much, so my advice is solid.

By the way, that's a nice drawing! I like the hyperbolic perspective and the nice details vs. space, enjoyable proportions etc. Good job my dude!
>>
File: cintiq 22 HD.jpg (51KB, 948x630px) Image search: [Google]
cintiq 22 HD.jpg
51KB, 948x630px
>>3134876
>>3134877
alright you're pretty good. the ipad pro and other tablets aren't really considered screen tablets around here though. most people consider screen tablets the big 21inch ones you use at your desk when working on big projects at home next to your PC. tablets like the ipad pro and smaller Microsoft surface are more for when you're outside your house and want to dick around, sketch something quick or do color studies of a sunset or some shit. or draw on the toilet or on the couch
>>
>>3134848

This is same guy as : >>3134892

I have another piece of advice that I forgot.

SIZE matters. Whether you have a screen tablet or not. But what I'm really talking about here are just regular graphics tablets.

Size DOES matter.

The bigger the tablet, the closer your digital drawing will be to how you actually draw on paper.

The smaller it is, the harder that is to achieve and the more warped your drawing will be if you don't use zoom like crazy, or something along those lines - it just makes things that much longer to do and that much more difficult to get good lines.

For example with a small graphics tablet (I also have a bamboo) I -have- to use stabilizers to get good lines without spending a million extra years to do it.

With a 12x8 tablet I can draw pretty much/close to the same as I do on paper, without the hassel, and without needing the stabilizers I think - I don't remember its been a while since I used one, but probably. If not, it would at least for sure be easier to get good lines without them.

And on the ipad pro - I either have to practice each stroke like a FREAK (basically practice drawing on glass with a lubed up piece of plastic you can imagine how hard it is to get your lines to stop where you want them) or I have to resort to zoom ins.

So again, its not the /best/ if you want to draw straight ahead with no guide lines etc.. but its still pretty darn good.

Also, you can't escape what I'll call 'artifacts' - so like. With the ipad pro at least (maybe not with a cintiq I don't know) you WILL get extra little tails on your lines, no matter what. These can be programmed not to be there I've heard, if the app programs for that. But procreate is THE app for drawing on ipad and I know for sure that lots of procreate pens do this.

The problem is that the pen gets detected as if you're drawing just like a milimeter or maybe even less, above the surface of the screen.
>>
>>3134848
This is the last part of >>3134897 (continued from there)

Now it doesn't make a difference, you won't even notice it, when you're drawing, or putting down a stroke. BUT. When you're lifting OFF a stroke, it will leave a tinsy tiny tail to the end of your stroke.

The only way around this is to follow your stroke through even as you lift your stylus off the ipad pro, and this of course, makes stopping your stroke/line at the right place, harder.

So yah, its a tiny thing, but it makes inking just a little bit harder and a little bit more of a hassle.

Basically ipad pro is pretty darn good, but it STILL is maybe more of a hassle in some ways than just real inking, or inking with a graphics tablet in a very good inking program like clip studio?

Not sure there. Cause I do use the ipad pro, primarily.

But if I had a larger graphics tablet I might prefer that for doing final inks.

Or even if I could run windows programs like clip studio on the pro.

You actually can if you own a mac, apparently astropad will let you use your ipad pro like a cintiq with good results. I dunno I tried duet display for windows but it just did NOT work well enough to use.

ANYhoo.

That's my post! Hopefully something I said there has helped you and if not, I apologize. :)
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (51KB, 757x415px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
51KB, 757x415px
>>3134871
>t. I can't afford good tools

Not him but a Intuos Large is just as good as a Wacom Cintiqules 6 million HD-DVD tablet. I've used them and in many ways it's actually worse. The screen meme needs to before more people get hurt.

Feng used a Intuos Large until recently, as did Loish. That's just off the top of my head.
>>
>>3134897
>I -have- to use stabilizers to get good lines without spending a million extra years to do it.

is there any stabilizers for photoshop?
>>
>>3134913
I don't remember honestly, since I do mostly lineart I gave up my subscription. It probably has some but you might have to google.

If not I think there is a program that gives you stabilization no matter what program you're using, perhaps lazy nezumi?
>>
>>3134892
>>3134897
>>3134902
Please, ignore the Dunning-kruger fag.
>>
>>3134919
Advice about inking on tablets = Dunning-Kruger.... yaaah

Cause regular people can't have real experiences with tablets. They have to only THINK they had experience with tablets.

They THINK it so hard that they write three posts about it! WOW, that's one bad case of Dunning-Kruger!

That person thinking they have experience with tablets, what fools they are! They type so much, they couldn't possibly just be telling the truth about their experiences, to help the OP.
>>
How long did it take you guys to get used to traditional non screen tablets. Im competent at anatomy and shit but it is real rough for me. feel like Ill never get used to it.
>>
>>3134919
Please ignore the troll, who can't read past two sentences without accusing someone of Dunning-Kruger because they can actually type.

Also troll contributes no actual advice to the topic thread. Nice one.
>>
>>3134924
It took me a while, but I found the biggest difference was in size. The bigger the tablet the more control I had, like drawing on real paper.

I think the smaller the tablet the longer it might take, that's a guess, because your stroke technique has to accommodate for extra accuracy. That's just my best guess/opinion.
>>
>>3134924
2 years of repetition. Drawing both traditionally and on a tablet helped me understand how to use a tablet better.
>>
>>3134905
damn anon you went the extra mile posting your bank account you sure schooled me
>>
>>3134922
>>3134925
He posted in another thread (same annoying only sentences and not paragraphs), and he is a perfect example of the Dunnng-Kruger.
>>
>>3134931
That's really about as good as it gets by /ic/ standards really. Only seen like one person do it before and that was suicidalanon.
>>
>>3134933
Here >>3133981
>>
>>3134919
Are you this guy? >>3133903
Or one of the guys from that thread?
because you guys just got schooled there.
why don't you lay of the dunning-kruger bs,
you're not even using the term right

read what your responding too before you
make yourself look like a total idiot but
responding in a way that doesn't even
make sense to what was said.
>>
>>3134933
ya and he schooled them
they even admitted they didn't read his post
and that they weren't actually right calling
him a dunning-kruger, you're too lazy to even get that right
>>
>>3134937
>tries to hide his writing style
You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>3134940
>tries to dodge the point
>is still an intolerable jerk who doesn't read anything he responds to
>is still a know-it-all guilty of the things he accuses other people of
>>
>>3134940
>still derails threads on ic
>still contributes nothing to the actual op
>still bothering people for trying to help
>still butts in on other peoples conversations and still gives his opinion where it wasn't needed or asked for
>craves attention maybe?
>>
>>3134940
>>3134933
>>3134919

Listen, I have nothing against you but you've got to grow up. Take it easy, and stop derailing threads.

What's the point of criticising other people for trying to give advice for the OP?

Isn't the OP smart enough to be able to judge advice for themself?

What have you contributed? Where is YOUR advice for the OP? If it's better?

And why do you have to tell people to ignore someone else's post?

Why don't YOU ignore the post, if it bothers you so much?

How can you expect people to listen to you, when you suggest they ignore a post, when YOU don't do the very same thing and just ignore the post?

You're acting like a total hypocrite.
>>
File: It's bullying time!.jpg (68KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
It's bullying time!.jpg
68KB, 600x800px
>>3134931
You're the fuckin' retard dismissing someone's opinion of a tool based on how much money you think they don't have. I've used Cintiqs and they're overrated status symbol trash used by beginner artists rubber-banding from using the cheapest pieces of shit imaginable and thinking one of these is going to make them a pro and professionals that were gifted them by Wacom directly for promotional purposes.

>>3134924
Thinking you need to "look at the screen" is a horseshit meme used to sell Wacom's $3,000 computer monitors. However, you'd still be better off impoverishing yourself buying something like that than wasting your days fiddling with a "Wacom Bamboo Create" or whatever because ultimately your time has to have some kind of value, doesn't it?

Whether for the experienced artist or the novice there is no amount of money worth using a shitty small or even a so-called "medium" tablet. Any artist that, against all odds, does good work on one of those would do the same or better much faster on an Intuos Large so the extra couple hundred bucks is well, WELL worth it.
>>
>>3134941
>>3134942
Holy shit man!
You schooled him!

ANYhoo.
Do you have a blog?
Or something similar?
>>
>>3134948
Well that guy said he wasn't you so I'm still assuming you're a jealous poorfag and therefore my point still stands.
>>
>>3134949
lol, so angry you want to track the guy down?
>>
File: PPK.jpg (25KB, 314x534px) Image search: [Google]
PPK.jpg
25KB, 314x534px
>>3134950
I'm still not the guy that you were arguing with earlier, but I was supporting his statement for the most part (with my bank account). This whole argument is Wacom's fault for deliberately rehashing shit tablets that are barely suitable for photo-editing and marketing them to artists irresponsibly.

An artist with an Intuos Medium, Small or Bamboo instead of an Intuos Large is like a Lumberjack with a weep whipper instead of a chainsaw. They are not for "beginners", they are completely ineffectual trash and have no place on any remotely serious artist's desk-unless they sincerely want to spend many, many more hours to produce the same piece than they'd otherwise have to.
>>
>>3134919
Sorry for saying you make yourself look like a total idiot, for all the sarcasm and the harsh posts, saying you're lazy etc. I apologize for all the harsh stuff, and it was wrong of me to go that far.
>>
>>3134919
The best gift I can give you is to ask that you try to believe Jesus Christ, and pray to God the father that you accept his salvation and that you would like him to come into your life.
>>
File: enlightened pizza.jpg (46KB, 412x627px) Image search: [Google]
enlightened pizza.jpg
46KB, 412x627px
>>3134985
>>3134989
I-...I believe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT2JmF1AWgs
>>
>>3134848
Well OP, i bought one from the new huion series and its pretty good, i got the kamvas gt 191 and it works pretty well, i would give it 4.5 stars because there are minor things that are not that good like the screen protector, parallax and drivers needs improvment to get to the 100%, actually it would be like 90% worth it, huion is getting pretty good with their tablets now, so if you're needing one and you're really beginner it would be great choise.
>>
>>3134940
>>3134949
This is just embarassing.
>>
Guys, the studio I'm working for gave me a ridiculous Budget to buy a cintiq And I can either buy a 22Hd or a companion 2. Thing is I travel a lot on weekends due to work and personal stuff and the 22Hd is obviously not gonna travel with me, hence why I'm leaning more on the companion. What should I do? Is the 13 inch screen a good or bad size to draw?
>>
>>3135500
What the hell do you draw on that you don't know if a 13 inch screen is a good or bad size to draw on?
>>
>>3135504
An intuos pro medium. I just got hired, this will be my first screen tablet.
>>
>>3134871
I disagree. I have a screen tablet but grew up on an intuos 3 and miss it. Line art is harder if anything.
>>
>>3134892
Procreate has stabilizers. It’s a setting for each brush instead of global. It’s also more mild than sai’s, but is good.
>>
>>3135500
Get the 22HD for now and get a Companion or something similar later-if it's even necessary. There are always better and better mobile options on the horizon; you'll want the extra screen real estate for now.

If you want to draw mobile like at a hotel room or something just get a used microsoft surface pro 2 (make sure it's not the FUCKING RT model) for $100~ and use your medium Intuos with it. You'd probably be able to find a small bag that fits both of them safely at once. A nice little 10-12 inch screen like on the Surface turns your normally shit-tier medium intuos into a Cintiq equivalent as far as stroke accuracy is concerned.
>>
>>3135529
You make some really good points. I'll get the 22HD then. Thank you.
>>
>>3134865
It definitely does. It's much easier to draw on a tablet with a screen than it is on tablet without one. It doesn't really matter that much for painting though. In fact I think I might even prefer paining on non-screen tablets.
>>
>>3134931
>makes bold accusations on anon's financial state affecting his judgment
>gets proven wrong
>backpedals
>>
>>3135524
It's um, a streamline or something I can't remember what they call it, but it's not the same as a stabilizer.

A stabilizer slows the path down of the line so that you direct the line to where you want it to go smoothly.

The smoother in procreate does something else, I'm not sure what exactly it's doing, but it seems like it might be similar to using smooth in flash.

I don't personally find it useful in inking, like it doesn't do what I would need it to do to help me enough with ink.
>>
>>3135564

Before you jump the gun check out wacom's official website. They have more stuff now. Like the cintiq 'pro' or whatever I dont' knkow what they're calling it. But yah, just it out, read reviews.

I think companion people complained about a loud whining noise or something? I don't remember which one. But it's always worth really looking a bit deep into what you're getting when you're getting hi end stuff like that.

That way less likely that you'd need to send it back for being unsatisfied or something like that.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.