[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips to increase speed and efficiency

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: theo-prins-5.jpg (605KB, 1575x1049px) Image search: [Google]
theo-prins-5.jpg
605KB, 1575x1049px
hey ic...i'm doing ok with getting commissions.

but i have a huge problem with getting them done fast enough. i've had to turn work away knowing i'd probably do a shitty job with such a tight deadline.

i'd say i'm averaging about 600-800 per illustration, and then for the typical standing character it's about 200.

the biggest thing holding me back is how long it still takes me. and illustration takes at least two weeks for it to look as good as possible, and a character takes way longer than it should.

i mean, my income would be pretty rock solid if i could pump out those characters in 2 days max.

** i know there isn't a magic solution, but if i could hear any ideas and tips that would be good.

and i've tried the whole do-an-allnighter/don't sleep thing and my work just ends up looking terrible. i need good sleep to function.
>>
>>3065928
obvious answer is practice. Try to do personal characters and illustrations in 2 days. the more you do, the faster you'll get. slow work is usually because of doing things you don't have enough experience with to do quickly and confidently.

also try to figure out what details can be sacrificed. for instance, there's no need to put a ton of details into the eyes of a character that will be viewed at full length, as no one's going to notice 60% of those details anyway. random or far away objects in an illustration can sometimes be left completely rough, even professionals do this.

experiment with all of that and practice.
>>
>>3065928
use Sketchup for environments and DaZ studio for character poses. it will improve your time alot.
>>
I am sorry but could you please post your work or something similar to your style and quality. I just want to see what quality of work do you need for this kind of prices.
>>
You need to define your style more, and define what "finished" means to you. One you have that (easier said than done), take as many shortcuts as you can, like >>3065947 suggests. I personally use DesignDoll for my figure mockups, and it's a bit simpler to use (though not as detailed as Daz3D)

The big focus should be on defining what it means to get something done. One of the reason more graphic, flatter work is so lucrative is because it's simpler to complete. You make your mark and that it. With a more painterly technique, there are various levels of rendering that one could stop working at, ranging from loose and abstract to near-photo realism. It's up to you to define how tight you want your work to be, but once you really understand it, you'll have a greater understanding of the steps you need to take to get there.
>>
>>3065953
> I just want to see what quality of work do you need for this kind of prices.
Not the OP, but this is the wrong way of thinking of it. More skill does not necessarily equal more pay. You can have sub-standard fundamentals and still make good money provided you make work and find people who think its worth the money.
>>
>>3065961
shhhh

I also want to see his work. Please post some stuff OP.
>>
>>3065947

thanks i will look into that

and thanks to everyone else.

>>3065965
no, i wish to be anonymous, but thanks. my work is not that good at for an idea, but good enough for mediocre fantasy industry stuff (i.e, i understand perspective, i can draw things OK from imagination and obviously better with ref)

alsot i'm a girl. idk why everyone on /ic assumes you have to be a dude to be good, Cynthia Sheppard is an AD for WOTC for crying out loud
>>
>>3066007
>getting offended when someone assumes youre a dude on a male dominated image board
>>
File: TUMBLRTUMBLRomgTUMBLR.jpg (93KB, 573x531px) Image search: [Google]
TUMBLRTUMBLRomgTUMBLR.jpg
93KB, 573x531px
>>3066007
>alsot i'm a girl.

English probably isn't his/her native language. It isn't his/her fault that there's no universal possessive in english and that english doesn't accept the use of 'its' for people... or that the masculine isn't universal anymore (it was before in old english).

I would guess that /ic/ has a lot more women than other boards, wouldn't be surprised if half the board is actually composed of female.
>>
>>3065928
i've been there, i topped out around the same pay per illustration but after calculating how long it took me to get approval.... design work just ended up paying better in my case. Before burning myself out on illustration, ended up taking on too much and under delivering, woops lesson learned... now i say "no" when appropriate.

Economize your process. Specialize with whats worked to reduce risk. Recycle previous digital work to speed up the next painting. Develop a style that is less labored over, a clean or loose style vs a tight rendered one. You will naturally become more efficient. gl.
>>
>>3066007
You don't need to post your work just post something in similar style and quality, please. Are you working with tabletop games publishers or private commissions or video game companies?
>>
>>3065928

I have the same problem as you, sis.

The best advice I've got is set a time limit and do as much as you can in that time limit.
And keep doing it over and over again.

So for your chars, set a timelimit of 8hrs obviously spread through a single day. And do your best in that time frame. Do a lot of those.

That's what the other artist I like said: "When you're on a time restriction it shows how you approach/think about things
the quantity allows for comparative analysis to see what you do/don't do repeatedly, and where you waste time [i.e. your fuckups become reallllly apparent when you repeat them]"
>>
>>3066034
> It isn't his/her fault that there's no universal possessive in english
There's singular "they" which is used in situations when gender is not known.

>>3066007
Did you publish every single sketchbook page?
>>
>>3066007
really?
im a girl?

if people are trying to help me on the internet i could care less about what they think my gender is. get that stick out of your ass...

also there are rules and you know them:

tits or GTFO
>>
>>3066052
>>>/b/
>>
>>3066049
>There's singular "they"

So, should they have said this?

> I also want to see their work.
>>
>>3066007
can you atleast post something thats at abot your skill level for christ sake? We don't really care about yo per se, we just want to know what kind of work one has to produce to charge that much.
>>
>>3066170

http://nilefar.tumblr.com/
>>
>>3066034
>It isn't his/her fault that there's no universal possessive in english
It's called his(gender neutral), shitstain
>>
>>3066173
Holy shit. WELL BOIS IM OFF TO MAKE MAD MONEY
>>
>>3066173
this business is a joke
>>
>>3066202
This
>>
File: lol.png (155KB, 375x672px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
155KB, 375x672px
>>3066173
>>3066202
>>
>>3066173
Well shit, I better start cracking on my portfolio. maybe i could be making thousands right now
>>
>>3066182

Explain why he shouldn't have use 'his', then. If it's gender neutral, then it should be correct in this context. Waiting for your explanation.
>>
>>3066048
thank you, i'll set at timer. it's hard, my friend can crack out an illustration so quickly. i'm talking like five days.

i don't think i'm very intelligent, and i tend to second-guess myself. it slows me down. i'll keep trying.

>>3066052
>>3066027

oh come on. we know there are girls around here, we just don't speak up because of you fartheads. all the art girl friends i have browse this image board. get the stick out of YOUR asses

i'm as 3rd-wave antifeminist as they come, but for the love of god, the stupid mentality of "hurdurr this is a male dominated industry, womens cant do what we r doing" is so delusional

then, if there is a woman making it in the industry, it's "oh it's cause she has tits and is cute and the art director likes her"

>>3066173
this is not me you fuckwits lol
>>
>>3066266

wait but is that blog about at your skill level??? and you pull 600-800 on illustrations?
>>
>>3066260
You explain that cocksucker. Why are you advocating such retardation?
>>
>>3066274

no, that blog is better than me
>>
>>3066260
Not him, but he's wrong. Gender neutral should be 'they' in this case.
>>3066266
I'm female as well and even I think you're blowing this out of proportion. It's not the end of the world that somebody assumes you're male on a male-dominated website.

We're all anonymous in the end, calm down.
>we just don't speak up because of you fartheads
Or it's the fact that we aren't as easily offended as you and feel the need to immediately defend their gender.
Also, no body but obvious trolls believes that there's no such thing as professional female artists. I don't even know why you think this.
>>
>>3066266
you're the one bringing attention to your gender and making stupid arguments about it. i'm a girl too and get mistaken for a male all the time on this board but never bother correcting because the whole thread goes off topic like what's happening now. this board IS mostly males. there are boards that are mostly female where everyone calls random anons "she/her". It doesn't mean anything, stop making a big deal out of it and imposing shit no one even said
>"oh it's cause she has tits and is cute and the art director likes her"

also if your art is as shit as that blog and it takes you "at least two weeks" to even produce it, I seriously doubt you're making 600-800.
>>
>>3066266
>he stupid mentality of "hurdurr this is a male dominated industry, womens cant do what we r doing" is so delusional

then, if there is a woman making it in the industry, it's "oh it's cause she has tits and is cute and the art director likes her"

You're retarded. Not one anon in this thread has claimed any of those things. No one has given you shit for being female and making money off your art. You're legit looking for a reasons to be even more offened at this point. Soz for that one anon that called you male
>>
File: 1497375585596.gif (338KB, 538x572px) Image search: [Google]
1497375585596.gif
338KB, 538x572px
>>3066285
>you can make 600-800 shekels off of worse art than that nile faggot's

nothing is real my dudes.
>>
>>3066277

I told you english isn't my native language, I'm just genuinely asking for confirmation. My old grammar book said not to use 'his' because it isn't considered universal anymore, so I'm curious to see why you and her disagree on that particular point. Why did she correct him if he was right. Obviously only one of you can be correct, and it would also help me to speak a better english if my grammar book taught me PC bullshit. So, waiting for your further explanations and insults.
>>
>>3066299
He's talking in pesos, obviously.
>>
File: hippo10.jpg (81KB, 941x1023px) Image search: [Google]
hippo10.jpg
81KB, 941x1023px
>>3066299
>http://nilefar.tumblr.com/
Can't be, wtf, I'm better than this, I mean not by much. Well I'm as good as this easily
>>
>>3066296
lol this. anon is mad as hell for no reason and just wants to talk about herself.

if i'm not mistaken, sakimichan is probably the richest digital artist and the #1 on various art sites, and she's a female. so it's not like anyone has that kind of stupid prejudice OP is making up.
>>
>"bla bla bla im a gurl btw xD" the thread
>>
File: c.jpg (134KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
134KB, 736x981px
>>3066309
don't get your hopes up. OP is either lying about making any money, or that's the amount she wrongly assumes her art is worth. pic related is what a $600-800 illustration would look like.
>>
>>3066320

that image is %1500-2000 easily, don't talk about an industry you don't know friendo
>>
>>3066324
$*
>>
>>3066324
Not that guy, but you're both wrong.

/ic/ needs to get it out of their heads that more skill = more pay. It's not about what you make, but who you make it for.

Sure, an image of that quality could easily pull as little $600.00 for a small publisher, or $2000.00 for the biggest in the industry.

The editorial world is another great example of this: When working for a mid-size magazine, you could create a full page illustration for $800.00, but creating the cover illustration (same size and quality) could get you ~$1500.00.
>>
>>3066324
Legend of the Cryptids usually pay around 1000-1200$ for an illustration.
>>
File: mitten.png (24KB, 444x576px) Image search: [Google]
mitten.png
24KB, 444x576px
>>3066237
dear lord
>>
>>3066330
I'll keep that in mind. It's just easy to forget stuff like that when you're shitposting.
>>
>>3066336
what I mean is opportunities at paydays outside of weeb bois and furrfags.
>>
>>3066331
they can pay as little as $500 though.
>>
>>3066266
its an image board.... no body here gives a shit about your gender just show your work
>>
>>3066596
>no body here
are you a ghost?
>>
>>3066599
no but im not a native speaker sorry.
>>
>>3066603
No need to be sorry friend, I was just teasing.
>>
This board is cancer, you'll never get your answer here. Every thread just turns into people looking for a way to stroke their own ego
>>
>>3066614

shut up and post your work
>>
>>3066309
Post your work
>>
>>3066173
I don't what what ya'll are talking about, this is pretty solid for a pro starting out. That finished piece of the Naga chick or whatever seems fairly decent to be worth 600 or something.
>>
600-800 in what currency
>>
>>3068609
rupees
>>
File: 1498746501061.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1498746501061.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>3068420

>600

pic related, it's you.
>>
>>3066335
No way someone who draws club hands is overwhelmed with too many $600+ commissions. No way more than one art director is so dumb to pay that much when they can get more for less.

Also what profession would ever come here for advice?
>>
File: 1476499401317.png (1MB, 1280x664px) Image search: [Google]
1476499401317.png
1MB, 1280x664px
>>3069987
>>3066335
Did /ic/ just get blown the fuck out by a girl?
>>
>>3070574

>thinking that's good
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.