[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, today i got turned down from art school. does that mean

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: 20141230134546_00002.jpg (650KB, 1651x2335px) Image search: [Google]
20141230134546_00002.jpg
650KB, 1651x2335px
Guys, today i got turned down from art school.

does that mean im not an artist or at least a shit one?

they told me they cant see the required artistic talent.

what should i do?
>>
I got into an art school in california as well as SCAD but since im white they didnt gib me any money so i just went to community coollege instead. Learned basically the same ciriculus that I would have if i went to LCAD or SCAD.
>>
>>3013154
and i forgot to mention that you will be in debt for the rest of your life if you go to art school.
>>
>>3013151

>>2999582
Go through some artbooks (maybe some streams if you're into that), build up your fundamentals through mindful practice, work on a portfolio of creative and constructed work, and then realize you never needed art school to begin with.
>>
File: owl.jpg (27KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
27KB, 600x488px
>>3013151

Well if that's your piece you just need to git good. You seem to have the wrong impression of art as a whole. What would you say to a person who applied for fire man school or I don't know. Somebody who wanted to become a doctor? Just study harder or work harder or what ever.

>does that mean im not an artist or at least a shit one?

- Possibly

>Can I become an awesome artist?

- Possibly
>>
>>3013157
ok
the first pick ive posted was part of my portefolio. is it shit? not interesting? or not well made?
>>
>>3013158
why do you think i have a wrong impression of art?
>>
File: 8985.jpg (17KB, 200x230px) Image search: [Google]
8985.jpg
17KB, 200x230px
>>3013158
it really is all up to you OP. are you going to be a fag and quit just because you didnt get into an art school?
>>
>>3013151
git gud
>>
>>3013159
Doesn't indicate any knowledge of value, or perspective. No real composition thought, just a minor framing device. Minor symbol drawing capacity. No constructive work, fairly paint-by-numbers. Minor colour knowledge.

Seems like you tried to make a statement through colour than anything else. Not the worst thing I've seen, but it doesn't try anything to fail at.

At least it shows an interest in art, which you can readily pursue. But you weren't ready for art school, there's nothing they could've really done for you.
>>
>>3013161
no i wont,
i thin ill come back in a few days post some of my pics and maybe you guys can give me some feedback
>>
File: tumblr_nwhr6w9Zlr1rjssvvo9_500.gif (999KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwhr6w9Zlr1rjssvvo9_500.gif
999KB, 500x400px
is that even a question, OP?
>>
>>3013164
in the past few months i had the feeling of not beeing able to draw/paint anithing with a meaning.

so i tried to paint the feeling of beein emptyand having nothing to say but i failed. now im kinda depressed
>>
>>3013160

Your question kind of reveals it.

>does that mean im not an artist or at least a shit one?

Your question makes it sound like "some people" are naturally artists or something which is definitely not the case. It's just a skill like any other and you need to work on it. Also asking "what you should do" adds to this. You should get better! Practice.

I wouldn't recommend getting into dept just to get into some school though. I'm from Finland and our schools are pretty much free so I dunno...
>>
>>3013165
good
>>
>>3013170
i would need to pay 300Euros for 4 months, so almost nothing.
and getting better was the reason for me to apply at art school.

but i guess now i need to get a shitty job and get better in the last bit of time that i have left
>>
>>3013159
Sorry to say it but it's trite and uninspired. From what I can tell, it's just a boringly composed abstract tree and grain field, with no real personality, uniqueness, or even technical mastery to be seen. Were most of the works in your portfolio like this, or did you submit different types of paintings too?
>>
>>3013168
Relax, anon, we've all failed at one time or another.

And don't worry about meaning, or making a statement. You learn to articulate yourself before you make the heartfelt speech and all that.

Get those fundamentals up to scratch and then maybe start making pieces about personally invested topics that inspire you. But you don't need inspiration to get good, just commitment.
>>
>>3013168

Just stop with that Yoda bullshit. Paint with "feeling" and shit like that when you actually know how to paint. Paint boxes and balls and shit. Learn anatomy. Learn composition and perspective. Look through the sticky.

You sound like one of those people who get a guitar and just play punk because "Music theory is so hard :'((("

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but yeah... This shit isn't easy.
>>
>>3013175
i had some different stuff, anatomy abstract things and some other stuff but i cant post em because i did not get em back from she school so far
>>
>>3013178
i did not master anatomy geometry and perspective but i think im also not bad.

any books or paintings you would recomand me to look at?
>>
>>3013181

Just check the sticky on /ic/. Definitely send your stuff on /ic/. If you're new here I'd recommend taking stuff with a grain of salt. Don't get defensive and don't get into arguments with people. It's just a huge waste of your time. Try to distinguish between actual advice and shit posting. Ignore the shit posting.

Always compare yourself to the people you admire instead of your peers and set some goals for next year if you're applying again.

That's my Yoda shit...
>>
>>3013151
lol art school

They told Loomis the same thing, that he was a shitter and should drop out.
>>
thanks to everyone who said his honest oppinion.

Ill come back in a few days

until then have a great time
>>
>>3013196
Best of luck, anon. Don't let rejection get you down.
>>
>>3013196

Np. Hope you get there Anon. Just remember that art school isn't the only way to git good.
>>
File: hands.jpg (24KB, 580x550px) Image search: [Google]
hands.jpg
24KB, 580x550px
woops, if someone is stil here.

i just found a few pics.

maybe you guys can say somethign about them
>>
File: hands2.jpg (28KB, 558x469px) Image search: [Google]
hands2.jpg
28KB, 558x469px
>>3013207
>>
>>3013210
i know its nothing super creative and so, but i think technically its not the worst. or am i wrong about this?
>>
File: g.jpg (19KB, 466x390px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
19KB, 466x390px
>>3013211
>>
>>3013192
not sure thats true
>>
>>3013207
sugoi!
>>
>>3013207
>>3013210

Those are not bad. They're just pretty basic studies but they're definitely not terrible. The anatomy is a bit iffy but it's still better than the lot of the shit we get here.

If those are the stuff you submitted to the art school I understand why they wouldn't let you in though.

You have the ambient occlusion and anatomy pretty close to reality but you're lacking basic shading on the whole arm. Can't find any core shadows or highlights anywhere. You also seem to be lacking construction of how the bones/flesh/fat are in the hand.

>>3013212

This just doesn't look right at all.

You seem to be pretty OK with copying stuff but you really need to work on your fundementals. Luckily you're not completely oblivious to basic shit so with some work you can definitely become an awesome artist in a relatively short time.

Keep going dawwghh...
>>
File: Hand.jpg (99KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
Hand.jpg
99KB, 600x332px
>>3013216

I was going to post this pic but I forgot. If you're into traditional stuff and you prefer videos you could look at some of Proko's stuff on Youtube. Shit's helpful.
>>
>>3013216
what would you recomand me to get into as first?
geometry and perspective or anatomie or color or eveithing together?
>>
>>3013151
Don't give up ! Remember that a failed artist still managed to govern a whole country...
>>
>>3013225

There's no easy answer to this. I'm not a highly functioning professional my self and I still feel like there's a billion things I should be learning.

I just made a list of shit I need to learn and I try doing them while balancing work/life/masturbation.
>>
nothing, get over it. just keep drawing if you want to. school suddenly became the necessary step to doing something. its only ever relevant when licensure or accredidation or whatever the fuck is on the menu, but that doesnt apply here does it.

they really really really want you to keep believing that art school matters, and to just look the other way when taking out all those loans. i say if you just draw everyday and always try to push your drawings closer to the ref, not giving a shit about your own impression or style, then youre good for the initial improvement arc. But what happens is that if you get past that first arc, you're fucking golden. you can choose what kind of art you'd like to keep doing and branch off from there and now no art school can help you with shit other than offering a job in their big scam.

school is for people who sort of want to do something but cannot deal with how bad their knees are shaking. its a big lie that many are willing to go into debt for, because without it they'll have to fall into a dark hole (seemingly)

keep drawing, go to CC if you care, some local classes might even have good figure study sessions. go out and draw more, post your work everywhere online, keep doing it everyday as a job. always try to get closer to your ref.
>>
>>3013224
>>3013207
>>3013210
>>3013212
These are actually really nice, and I betting they didn't reject you because they were bad. People who review portfolios are looking for variety in someone's portfolio. They want studies, portraits, still life, different mediums, and pieces that show your creativity. Your work should show your thought process, and show how you render.

So, what you need is more variety in your portfolio, your current skill level is fine. Your going to school anyway, so it's not like you have to be really good.
Check out some of these accepted portfolios, and to see what I mean. You just need to create more art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtMQZ9TX2-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNPMv6rSlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7fQJFBuOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_Lf7HPf4A
>>
If you want to teach art, go to art school.
If you want to make art, make art.
>>
>>3013167
kek
>>
>>3013151

Where are you from? Wondering if you are from the same country as me.

Anyway, 99.9% of art schools suck and are not worth your time or money. If you really have a passion for art, study hard yourself, the resources are at your fingertips, and if you feel you need guidance seek out an atelier and learn there.

If you don't have the drive then become a doctor or something and doodle in your free time.
>>
Take over europe
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.