[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This book didnt really teach me anything. Who is the vilppu of color?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: color and light.jpg (157KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
color and light.jpg
157KB, 500x583px
This book didnt really teach me anything.

Who is the vilppu of color?
>>
>>3001571

Thank me later:

http://www.huevaluechroma.com/021.php

There's everything there. One of the only few places that have properly looking light sphere.

"How to Render" Scott Robertson >>3000383
http://scottrobertsonworkshops.com/h2re/linklist/
password and user: howtorender

Most comprehensive resource out there about everything that matters really, although hard to get into. Very, very big list of pigments and (watercolor and gouache) paints that is still more or less actual:

https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

Also where I linked >>3000383 , what I personally recommend:

David Hornung - "Color, 2nd edition: A Workshop for Artists and Designers"

It's IMHO very good resource that people should pick, mainly because it actually proposes EXERCISES that you can do, you are urged here to make your own color compositions and see what works and how colors interact with each other.

Gurney books are absolute garbage and a meme pushed by Gurney shills. Yes, they look pretty, yes, Gurney has skills, but he can't write for shit and teach people even if his life dependent on it. Also he is one of those fucks that monetizes everything and looks for every chance to get sweet, sweet dosh.
>>
>>3001582
i would also add matt kohr's digital color starter kit
>>
>>3001582
>Also he is one of those fucks that monetizes everything and looks for every chance to get sweet, sweet dosh.

Fucking communist. He spent a lifetime learning his craft, why should he just toss it away for free?
It's hilarious that you feel so high and mighty while sharing stolen stuff.
>>
>>3001582
>>3001590
very nice

is there anything interesting in matt kohrs color series? $60 is pretty steep, and I already purchased his rendering series, 20 3 minute videos isn't that worth it
>>
>>3001596
withholding and selling information is unethical

if he were to give private lessons for $500 a hour that would be okay
>>
>>3001596

Gurney, plz go.
>>
>>3001596
chill jimbo
>>
>>3001582

Gurney has all of his info on his blog. It's not really a tutorial, but a collection of notes.
>>
>>3001601
the fuck are you talking about
he teaches, has a free blog and published book

>>3001612
yeah shut the fuck up and dl Scott Robertson's stolen book you parasite
>>
>>3001598
You can find it on cgpeers
>>
>>3001582
Are the Hornung's exercises worth it though? I've read the book and the exercises are a bunch of abstract collages you usually do at an art school when the teacher is hungover.

Not trashing it btw, just explaining my doubts.
>>
>>3001596
>>3001633
worth it just to witness you go into a mad sperg :)
>>
>>3001601
>withholding and selling information is unethical

wtf. No it's not you imbecile.
>>
>>3001601
Millennials are literally cancer
>>
>>3002687
are you 31 or under? cus if you are you are a millennial....i agree though they are most of the time.
>>
It's not a very an instructional read, but more of something you would consult if you were to come across a lighting situation you weren't sure of what it was or how to approach it. A compendium of lighting and color solutions.

So no, it's not very helpful to a beginner who is looking to be fed direct information. James Gurney will not walk you through the motions of painting.
>>
>>3001582

His books are not garbage but people go out and buy them expecting them to be something they're not (beginner books).

Basic shit is covered as briefly as possible in as much as a non-beginner might need a quick reminder. It assumes you possess some common painterly knowledge already, because it challenges some of that knowledge (the colour wheel). There are details on weird situations and things a painter may not have thought about before (colour of moonlight).

It's important because there are so much bullshit floating around on this topic. Even that Hornung book peddles a few myths. Frankly, there is no book that is both beginner friendly and gets everything right. Your best bet is to pick up Hornung, and then brace yourself to unlearn a few things when you read Gurney, Schmid and HueValueChroma.
>>
File: 1285119577404.png (88KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
1285119577404.png
88KB, 600x350px
>>3001582
>Also he is one of those fucks that monetizes everything and looks for every chance to get sweet, sweet dosh.
Yeah, how dare he want to be able to buy food and gas and pay his mortgage. That greedy fuck.
>>
>>3001571
Watch Donato paint.
>>
>>3001582
Where does the meme originate that this is a bad book? Even if the book was as awful as people say, which it isn't, the author is still allowed to make as much money as people are willing to pay him.
>>
>>3002903
I think you're onto something regarding why retards on /ic/ tend to hate Gurney, Vilppu and Hogarth. Not enough spoonfeeding and reading the book didn't automatically make them better.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.