[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - THE BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 95

File: op.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
If you are a /beg/inner in art, please use this thread to post pieces for critique or ask for advice. We should not have to make new threads or post in the drawthread with our fundamental exercises.

Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead (I recommend ShareX)

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>2960604
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: c75945a181f7e9acc711b0d614a68547.jpg (195KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
c75945a181f7e9acc711b0d614a68547.jpg
195KB, 800x1200px
>>
File: draw.jpg (87KB, 809x733px) Image search: [Google]
draw.jpg
87KB, 809x733px
who is your favorite teacher for proportions?
>>
File: 1488649367023.jpg (60KB, 432x578px) Image search: [Google]
1488649367023.jpg
60KB, 432x578px
>>2962735
Skeleton-san and sketchfab-chan (https://sketchfab.com/models/e8813c9dc7764c9fb8bc956ff7543bba). Truth be told, these two are all teachers I bothered to have.
>>
>>2962754
This is just the top of head to bottom of nose measurement. circles make it look confusing.
>>
i want to start doing photo studies in PS. any tips for someone just beginning to paint in photoshop?
>>
Hey guys, how to do i go about giving the skin a more realistic feel? I get the impression that it's missing texture to it, but I've been looking at it for so long that it's a bit of a blur. Any help will help
>>
>>2962811
you somehow ignored the brick shape of your ref's face, and gave her a brow where there is none.
>>
>>2962813
anon still paints 100x better than you can.
>>
>>2962814
Hello, anon's mom.
>>
>>2962813
Yeah i ended up tweaking the proportions a bit because I'm not perfect and I didn't like the ref's forehead very much.

>>2962814
thanks mom
>>
>>2962816
i wish i was anons mom i am so alone
>>
>>2962811
Use the right brush. Painters use a variety of brushes, and knifes, and sticks when they paint. Digital artists need to do the same thing. It's a good idea to get used to making your own brushes, but a lot of artists upload brush packs for you to download.
>>
>>2962811
top tier rendering on the hair
>>
>>2962813
Tbh, his version looks much cuter.

>>2962811
How do you render hair? Do you use a custom brush or anything?
>>
File: Step 6.png (1MB, 1260x854px) Image search: [Google]
Step 6.png
1MB, 1260x854px
>>2962827
Thanks bro!

>>2962828
I just use softbrush for it, but it takes a while. I start with thick strokes and work my way down pretty much.

I'm getting into the habit of documenting my work so I have a better reference for improvement
>>
File: Step 5.png (2MB, 1392x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Step 5.png
2MB, 1392x1024px
>>2962828
>>2962830
Heres an earlier shot of the same thing
>>
Turns out adding noise helps with the effect i was looking for. I still think its missing something though
>>
File: draw.jpg (109KB, 943x777px) Image search: [Google]
draw.jpg
109KB, 943x777px
i just realized how lazy i am. old man vilppu has spent more time drawing for educational videos than i have my entire life
>>
File: renderfags-gonna-render.jpg (368KB, 1427x865px) Image search: [Google]
renderfags-gonna-render.jpg
368KB, 1427x865px
>>2962830
Did you use any kind of tutorial to learn it? Do you actually paint each strand individually? I could really use some wavy hair techniques.

>>2962839
I'm pretty certain that using noise is a bad idea. It makes the skin look like paper. See pic related for a rough example. Based pencil brush is so based. Using the midtone color (maybe a bit darker), apply it in multiply or soft light mode, adjust opacity of the layer, and then blur and softly erase where you want the pores to be less visible.
>>
>>2962844
Yep, that's the biggest hurdle for a lot of beginners. They don't realize just how much drawing is necessary to actual get good.

Your lines show that you are anxious about your drawing and care more about the result than the effort. Don't rush your drawings anon. Draw deliberately.
>>
>>2962855
Dude thanks ! That's exactly what I was looking for.

In terms of hair, I just sat down and painted each strand pretty much - but mostly in the highlighted areas. If you vary the brush you can use thicker strokes in darker areas and get away with it, and just use the lighter tones to indicate where the strands are to give the illusion.

To get the wavyness I basically just blended a bunch of separate C curves together using the base tone (instead of an S curve for the whole strand). The trick to getting depth with the hair is after painting in the lighter tones, go over it again with dark undertones and blend into the highlights.
>>
>>2962870
Hmm, I see. Thanks, I'll try that.
Though I'd like to clarify which layer do you use for undertones (and where it is positioned relative to the lighter tones, if it matters).
>>
>>2962890
Um you're gonna laugh but I only used one layer. It was pretty late at night and after painting the base tones and thick strokes I got so into the strands that I never ended up making more layers. Don't do that though - if I have to change anything or realized that I fucked up I will pay for it.
>>
>>2962906
I won't.
In fact, I am quite interested in single layer painting and try that from time to time. Coupled with CSP oil and watercolor brushes, it creates some interesting possibilities related to color blending, but, of course, it collects its price mercilessly if you dare to go into complex soft shading.
>>
>>2962928
Yeah it feels natural to me since I've been painting IRL for a while and I sometimes don't make as many layers as I probably should.

Btw I'm a little curious to see your work. Do you have anything you are willing to share?
>>
File: boxes2.jpg (76KB, 1000x749px) Image search: [Google]
boxes2.jpg
76KB, 1000x749px
thoughts?
>>
>>2962935
you need to learn to draw a straight line
wheres the construction?
>>
>>2962939
I bought this tablet a few days ago, still getting used to it
i erased the lines
>>
>>2962935
straight lines aside all lines going back should be hitting the vanishing point. also maybe rotate some of these boxes don't leave it so basic. push and play with them.
>>
File: browser_2017-05-01_14-07-23.png (234KB, 837x971px) Image search: [Google]
browser_2017-05-01_14-07-23.png
234KB, 837x971px
>>2962943
what software? use lazy nezumi if photoshop and practice drawing straight lines. else, use sai.
also my criticism is still correct as your lines are definitely shaky. i don't mean to be mean, just trying to help! 'yeah-buts' are a bad habit and will slow your progression. here's a page from scott robertson's how to draw, it's a daunting read but a good one.
there's a pdf in the artbook thread (in catalog)
or you can start with perspective made easy, which is easier to read.
cheers
>>
>>2962949
er, stabilizers are available built-in with sai - you can right click a brush and set the stabilizer there under options* should help!
>>
>>2962944
yeah, I double-checked that

>>2962949
I tried SAI and that other free software with a built-in stabilizer and I didn't like em
it really isn't an excuse m8, it's just that I've bought this tablet only three days ago and I never worked with digital before. I'm able to draw pretty decent lines with pencil and paper
>>
>>2962957
you don't like any stabilizer settings? I think they can help if set properly for whatever you're doing. regardless the perspective looks ok-ish, keep studying and working. Look forward to whatever u do
>>
More just question, are there tablets with longer cords? I've tried using an extension with my intous but it created too much lag.
My computer is under my desk so trying to wire it all the way back is basically impossible
>>
>>2962961
intuos3 has a FAT LONG cord
>>
File: nosebro_lol.jpg (55KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
nosebro_lol.jpg
55KB, 800x800px
>>2962934
I'm that guy who draws Yuuka. If that doesn't sound familiar, it's probably for the best.
You can see the latest pic of mine here, if you're interested: >>2961722. Notice the power of the mighty pencil brush that could be used for rendering skin (especially wet skin), rocks, moss, ground, foliage... You can even use it to draw colorful childlike pictures or traditional value sketches like pic related. Fucking based.
>>
So I where should I start if I'm an absolute beginner; even drawing straight lines is a problem for me.
>>
>>2962973
drawing lines
>>
>>2962973
keys to drawing for sure, then go into perspective
>>
>>2962968
Oh cool i've seen some of your stuff around. Those wet titties spoke to me on a certain level.

Yeah that pencil brush makes it look like you are painting on that real sketch paper, pretty cool effect.

>>2962973
Start with shapes bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqeuQF1qpvQ
>>
File: 1493323097001.png (28KB, 688x773px) Image search: [Google]
1493323097001.png
28KB, 688x773px
Im so fucking enraged right now because my drawings keep failing.
I know i shouldnt be but still i flew into a murderous rage after i didnt understand how to draw my nose again.
I still have a headache because of it.
>>
>>2962985
watch this
https://youtu.be/PHcPBobFfE4
>>
>>2962973
Just give up
ngmi
>>
>>2962982
>> Those wet titties spoke to me on a certain level.
*lenny_face* I still grieve that I missed such a great chance to say "I make my 2D waifu all wet. Can you boast the same?" just for the kicks of it.
>>
File: latex swimsuit.png (260KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
latex swimsuit.png
260KB, 1000x1333px
>>2962616
repostan
new to the digital stuff,where would be a good place to start learning how to paint?

cause it feels like im learning rather patchy and inefficiently.

(my attempt at a latex texture)
>>
File: body.jpg (489KB, 2531x2281px) Image search: [Google]
body.jpg
489KB, 2531x2281px
how's my muscle knowledge?

I can drop tops without reference but I need a lot of help with legs
>>
File: headbeg.jpg (206KB, 1000x674px) Image search: [Google]
headbeg.jpg
206KB, 1000x674px
>>2961523
nope, much worse
ugly, horrible, bordering on terrifying
in fact they are so bad im considering about quitting heads and only returning to them in a few months.
>>
>>2963076
Yeah ok. Or try a different learning method of heads.
>>
>>2963084
i dont want to have to do that. all i want is to achieve a basic fundamental level of competence at head construction. i just want to do that then move on, thats all. if i keep grinding out these >>2961484 can i at least do that then move on to hands or something?
>>
>>2963076
Hey you're finally adding features to your constructions. Yeah, see this is why I recommended you start using reference right away. Because you just don't have the memory and study of what a real face looks like. You've only studied a very general and stylized blueprint. The benefit for you though is that you understand the alignment of the features with the 3d shape of the head.

>in fact they are so bad im considering about quitting heads and only returning to them in a few months.

Don't quit now after all that effort. You're just getting to the good part. Your faces will be very ugly in this initial stage, there's no getting around that. You will have to draw them wrong over and over to start figuring out how to draw them right. Don't be afraid of the ugly drawings. You will see improvements if you keep at it.

I feel like you only do head constructions out of fear of drawing the real thing and getting bad results. You should draw from reference now. No amount of construction will make your first reference drawings look perfect. It will look bad in the beginning, that's how it is. Apply your construction to your reference. If you can do digital, trace over a photo with construction lines to get a better understanding of how it works.

Also you should study how to draw the individual parts, like eyes, mouths, and noses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRmcko
>>
File: asd.jpg (67KB, 789x931px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
67KB, 789x931px
>>2963098
You haven't progressed at all with doing heads for the last few days. Trying something different would be for the best. (Also you're probably drawing too small because you can't fit any details in and have to resort to symbols)

Try some gesture exercises that are timed.
https://youtu.be/UNBiO79cjhw?list=PLOq-SnwbtX9u231janaHRCo3tcTWshKML
Don't think about constructing the figures in gesture, that comes after gesture.

I'm just pushing my own way of doing things, so another anon may have other ideas for your development. Pick what studies let you advance according to your own observations.
>>
>>2963116
me here
>>2963098
Actually you should probably listen to >>2963106
He sounds more positive. You really should draw larger heads so you can fit in the details he suggested.
>>
>>2963106
all of this i've done, i've spent time using reference, when it ran out i started used the 3d model. i've been grinding these heads out for a month and a half. im not fatigued im just fucking obliterated. what do you mean by just getting to the good part?

>>2963116
gesture was something i completed a while ago, my daily grind for that was reference using lineofaction, sketchdaily, quickposes etc.

when im done with these i'll move onto something else. alternatively i give up and move on now. heads have been by far the roughest thing i have done. all this practice and its still awful.
>>
>>2962959
not really. it feel really clunky and it triggers my autism
i feel like I'll never learn proper line work if I depend on stabilizers
thanks, senpai, i will
>>
>>2963106

considering the difficulty of the task i think i need to take stock and actually think about what i need to do to improve. if i draw the 3 or so images from /beg/ every other day will that help?
>>
>>2963122
>gesture was something i completed a while ago,
you dont 'complete' something
you have to keep doing it to be better. its not a game.
>>
>>2963137
yeah i know you dont complete it but to me, a beginner, i feel like if i can achieve a general level of fundamental competence then i can move on until later when i return to raise it up to a higher level. like any skill, you lay the foundations and build upwards.
>>
>>2963139
as a beginner you should always warm up with gestures because it is the one thing you'll never be fully good at
>>
>>2963142
but im not even drawing figures
>>
>>2963142
also why are you talking about "fully good". there are so many things im not even somewhat good at
>>
File: loli.png (314KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
loli.png
314KB, 600x800px
is it cute?
>>
>>2963144
gesture helps you loosen up and be more conscious with lines. figures or not, it doesn't matter.
>>2963148
gestures is one of the hardest parts of drawing, to hold off on it and think you're "completed" is stupid
>>
>>2963152
you didnt even read >>2963139 did you?
>>
>>2963135
Sure, if you can draw one a day. If you have drawings from reference, post them here. You'll get a lot more with figuring out what's wrong with those than what's wrong with your head constructions. Those are just guidelines and so you have to apply it to see how it's working.

The head by itself is actually a very complex thing to draw. You should try to focus on the smaller things. Like eyes for example. See how well you can render eyes, fully complete, not constructions. Those are simpler and if you can do them well, it will really give you a boost of confidence.

With the last image you posted, there is still a lot of symbol drawing there. So you have to practice your observing skill. You can do that by practicing drawing simple objects from life or simple objects like eyes from reference. Construction doesn't really practice your basic drawing skill, which I think you're overlooking at this point. Learning to draw what you see will help you progress much faster than doing constructions.
>>
>>2962839
You're missing the reds and pinks in the nose, mouth, and eyes, and cheeks. Your blending is solid, but could use a step up.

It's just a bunch of small things. He forehead ends too early on your painting, the shape of the nose is wrong, you're missing some of the more subtle shading around the mouth, and you need to finish the neck and hair on the right side.

The next level of detail is going in with a fine, small brush, and defining things like the hairline, the eye lashes, and eyebrows, bringing it more into focus. You can also play with speckle brushes, very faint ones, to bring up some texture to the skin - there are tons of tutorials on this online, it's up to you to decide what level of detail you're going for.

Overall, the thing that stands out the most is the lack of reds and pinks.
>>
>>2962935
Start learning perspective with rulers on paper. Freehanding it on the screen with a Wacom is wasted effort.

At the very least, learn your software, and find out how to constrain the draw tool in straight lines. Example: in Photoshop, with a standard bush with no pressure sensitity on, if you press down on one point, and option/ctrl click the next point, it will draw a solid straight line between the two points.

Perspective REQUIRES rulers to learn, and execute properly. Use them, or the equivalent.
>>
>>2963162
you say fully render things but if the base isnt there then they can never be good. that would be jumping ahead, i am still a beginner so i should be grinding the fundamentals. besides i want to complete things with digital and i'll only let myself move to digital when i have done this, then hands, feet, a brief revisit of buildings then cntrl+paint.
>>
>>2963150
Bit creepy actually. The eyes seem to close to the sides, leaving the gap between them too large. And vary alien looking overall.
Also, tumblr nose has to go.
>>
File: Tall.png (42KB, 274x770px) Image search: [Google]
Tall.png
42KB, 274x770px
A bit cartoon-ish but may I have some critique anyway?
>>
File: loli fix.png (652KB, 742x699px) Image search: [Google]
loli fix.png
652KB, 742x699px
>>2963169
is this better
>>
File: face fix.png (527KB, 572x569px) Image search: [Google]
face fix.png
527KB, 572x569px
>>2963187
or this?
>>
>>2963190
the best one of the third
>>
>>2963171
Left elbow is all wrong. Hips are all wrong. Where are her hips, anyway? A skinny girl like that will have prominent hip bones and more of the muscle masses in that region exposed. Her breasts are at the wrong angle, the left nipple needs to be higher. Her rib cage is too narrow, there should be a transition from the diaphram up into the lower rib cage. The hand on her hip isn't credible, it's shaped like it's cupping something, not laying on her hip. She has no kneecaps. Her left shoulder is too high. The transition from the neck to the collarbone is wrong, and her head feels too forward and too big for the body.

Good start, but pay more attention to how the body and it's masses work, and the underlying structure of bones and muscles.
>>
>>2963167
There's another skill you're ignoring that's more fundamental than construction, and that is your ability to draw what you see, to copy exactly as you see it. Both basic observing and rendering (drawing the outline, adding value) are part of that.

Your current drawings suggest that you might need to work on that skill a bit more. The easiest way to do this is just by trying to draw objects from life, starting with more simple objects like a bowl of fruit or something. Since you're doing faces, why not try drawing one eye as complete as you can? Just to test it out.

>if the base isnt there then they can never be good
What's going to take your drawings from the base construction to a full drawing is your ability to render guided by your ability to observe. So you need to practice that as well. You got the construction part down, but you're not able to finish those heads because you haven't practiced those other skills yet.

Even without construction, you can draw a pretty decent head purely by drawing what you see. Granted, it will be flat and wonky, and that's when you combine it with construction to give it structure. Don't think of it as backtracking either, this is a continuous practice, and all of these skills work together.

Try Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and Keys to Drawing.
>>
File: 050117 try resize.jpg (383KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
050117 try resize.jpg
383KB, 3000x2000px
I dono what I should be doing.

I just want to draw cute girls or cool scenes and stuff.

I don't know how to use reference and just draw from imagaination. Whenever i try and use reference it looks worse.

What can I do to improve.

Should I just trace photos till i can grasp how the head construction makes faces? Also I dono if I want to do a painty style or lined based one. I feel like painty is easier since there isn't much hiding flaws when you do just lines.
>>
>>2963201
i did keys once after i did 3d space stuff so i just used boxes to build everything in it. isnt drawing what you see without 3d form just symbol drawing? wouldnt that be erasing progress?
>>
File: manga-girl-thumbs-up.jpg (11KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
manga-girl-thumbs-up.jpg
11KB, 238x211px
>>2963205
>sees bridgman
>sees boxes
>sees anon is thinking of the face as a mask (seems like he also follows Sinix)
>anon has somewhat dynamic poses
You still need some work, but I like what I see here anon. You're on the right track. now what you need to do is start doing photo studies using the same construction methods you're using right there. It will be much harder than just bullshitting but the rewards will be worth it, Also doing a painty style would probably be best for you right now as it will force you outside of getting wrapped up in clean lines and focus on edges,values and hue shifts.
>>
>>2963200
This is realy helpfull, thank you.
I often times shy away from defining features more because it tends to look out of place or downright wrong, guess I'm gonna have to confront this things more often in the future.
>>
i want to die
>>
God I wish Teal Line Guy was here
>>
>>2963217
should I paint in greyscale or just jump into color?

also ye i saw a sinix video today about the masks and decided to try it out.

thank you for the encouragement c:
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>2963217
If you've been shading with pencil and paper and done some still life and portrait studies with those tools for a while then jump to color. If you're just playing with idea of fully shading something with pencil then start with grayscale. When I jumped to digital, going straight to coloring was very easy as I would often try to shade colored pictures I would find on the internet with pencil and paper and then check my work by making the picture grayscale in an image manipulator. Doing that gave me an inherent ability to "feel" the darkness of certain colors and the ability to see small differences in value.
>>
>>2963207
>isnt drawing what you see without 3d form just symbol drawing
No, no, it's not symbol drawing. It's actually the opposite. Drawing what you see, means drawing past the symbol.

Symbol drawing is when you draw what you think something looks like instead of trying to draw how it actually looks. So if you draw an eye, using an almond shape line, you're drawing a symbol and ignoring the detail of the eye. You're not seeing/drawing what it's made up of, the shades of dark and light that imply the 3d form.

What you're doing right now, with only practicing construction and ignoring the rendering part is symbol drawing. You're not practicing your ability to draw what's there, and your not practicing your ability to see past the symbols and observe the detail. That's what those books are meant to teach you, if you follow them through.

Construction is a guideline, but you need basic drawing skills to apply it. Are you able to see value? Are you able to draw it? Your drawings suggest that maybe that's what you should focus on next.

Again, it's not backtracking. These skills work together and you have to keep practicing them together. Your heads can't go past construction because you haven't practiced the next skill you need which is observing and rendering. Those skills are more basic, you should practice those first. They will make construction easy.
>>
>>2963231
so i should draw things in my room without using boxes and 3d shapes to build them. just flat outlines?

can anyone else confirm this is good advice?
>>
>>2963229
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fZdGZKP1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zbDVlDpIww
https://mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA
(anon's collection is a good resource, high recommend it if you're still stuck)
>>
File: nature.png (597KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
nature.png
597KB, 600x800px
thoughts?
>>
>>2963246
neat composition, almost kaleidoscopic in the thumbnail, very psychedelic
>>
>>2963239
Try to copy exactly what you see line for line, yes. The trouble is remembering what you did to draw that picture later and apply it to your imagination drawings. Construction is just a tool- a tool to simplify what you see and make it easier to remember in your head. Basically it makes you focus on relationships and the bigger picture instead of the details, but if you don't know what the details are then just knowing construction methods will only get you so far. You have to apply your tools (construction, negative space, etc.) in order to get any benefit from them.
>>
File: cube.jpg (30KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
cube.jpg
30KB, 590x421px
tell me about the cube. why is it parallel?
>>
>>2963251
So to fully answer question just in case it was a little vague, just draw what you see and make lots of detailed studies. Then do the same study again but try to simplify it with simple forms to help you. Then try drawing it by imagining the simple forms on top of the object you're trying to draw instead of drawing the construction lines on the paper first. Do this for about 2 hours a day and you'll become Kim Jung Gi in 10 years
>>
>>2963225
even if he was on /ic/ he wouldnt be in this thread
>>
>>2963252
That's an isometric view of a cube, it's not accurately put in perspective. If it were tilted like that, the vertical lines would be converging downwards,
>>
>>2963239
Sounds fine, it's a common beginning assignment.
>>
>>2963252
Isometric projection is a method for visually representing three-dimensional objects in two dimensions in technical and engineering drawings. It is an axonometric projection in which the three coordinate axes appear equally foreshortened and the angle between any two of them is 120 degrees.

That's why.
>>
What are some good exercises to stealthily doodle at work? I have a lot of free time sitting on my desk and would like to use it to improve.
>>
>>2963281
Straight parallel lines, circles, pieces of paper (flat planes) in perspective in different angles. Also boxes.
>>
>>2963229
Anyone got Sakimichan's semi-recent color tutorial?
>>
File: 1493619644084.jpg (168KB, 1400x1355px) Image search: [Google]
1493619644084.jpg
168KB, 1400x1355px
>>2963229
>>2963205

ugh this is a stupid painting did i did around the start of the year. One of the last things i did before quitting and starting up again. I'ma try and just do color painting studies to practice the most i can at once. and if that fails i guess i'll go to gray scale.
>>
>>2963308
>those hips
Nice
Teach me your secrets
>>
File: cat girl.jpg (1MB, 1053x1707px) Image search: [Google]
cat girl.jpg
1MB, 1053x1707px
how bad did i do?
>>
>>2963345
that nose could cut the paper it's drawn on
>>
File: fairy.png (691KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
fairy.png
691KB, 600x800px
>>2963249
thank you! just finished it
>>
>>2963345
eyes are too small compared to head
>>
>practicing for weeks
>no improvement

I think I'm doing it wrong
>>
Is figure drawing without construction tenable?
I'd like to be able to eyeball my figures instead of constructing them
>>
File: Prince Avalanche OLD MAN.jpg (89KB, 942x440px) Image search: [Google]
Prince Avalanche OLD MAN.jpg
89KB, 942x440px
>>2963377
Doing it without construction requires you to do it hundreds of times until you can just remember the forms turning in space subconsciously. Kim Jung Gi and the other pros are able to freehand shit only because they have years of experience. Learn to construct first- To learn to run , you must first learn how to walk. To learn how to draw fast, learn how to draw slow.
>>
>>2963374
post your work
>>
File: tumblr_opb0vgD4dh1w9x8p4o1_1280.png (286KB, 545x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opb0vgD4dh1w9x8p4o1_1280.png
286KB, 545x1000px
>>
File: mercwip.jpg (101KB, 776x1119px) Image search: [Google]
mercwip.jpg
101KB, 776x1119px
>>2963380
>>
>>2963386
feelsweirdman seeing him flipped
>>
File: mercprogress.jpg (308KB, 1220x2485px) Image search: [Google]
mercprogress.jpg
308KB, 1220x2485px
>>2963380
here's my progress over the years plz no bully
>>
File: MS2.jpg (274KB, 2608x2608px) Image search: [Google]
MS2.jpg
274KB, 2608x2608px
Can I get some advice on perspective and anatomy for this piece? I want to know if it's worth it before I continue
>>
>>2963397
Resize plz
>>
>>2963397
hand looks either too thin or slightly too long, on the whole it looks good and its worth continuing
>>
File: wip.png (334KB, 546x996px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
334KB, 546x996px
>>2963380
>>2963381
just fixed it, it's still work in progress
>>
How expensive is it to paint? Real life painting, not the digital kind. I'd imagine the paints and canvases are a little pricey.
>>
>>2963411
Too expensive. Just fucking go digital man. It's kinda annoying in the beginning but you save money in the long run
>>
File: hahaha.gif (491KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.gif
491KB, 260x146px
>>2963410
FUCK, MY SIDES
>>
I'm trying to jump into digital. Would redoing Keys to Drawing on digital be a good start?
>>
>>2963413
but i want to make abstract paintings representing my deep rooted depression and mental issues and sell them for a million dollars to hipsters
>>
>>2963381
that's nice, bro of noses.
>>
>when you're able to see clear progress in your work
feels good
>>
>>2963411
You can get a basic painting set up for the same price as a mid-range tablet. You don't have to paint on canvas, that's something of a waste for student work, canvas board or canvas paper is better to learn on. Canvases aren't that much anyway, the larger canvases, like 3x4' can be $50, a 8x10 can be as cheap as $5. The most money will be for paint and brushes, but shopping around, $100-150 can get you started pretty well. Less for watercolor and acrylic. You don't need a gazillion brushes and colors starting out. I started out in acrylics on illustration board and bristol, moved to gessoed panels later (I dislike canvas grain). I pay a lot now for brushes that will last forever, and pro grade watercolor papers, but in college, I was on a tight budget, and did pretty well.
>>
File: fuckin boxes.jpg (103KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fuckin boxes.jpg
103KB, 706x1000px
I don't see how these boxes are going to evolve into qt anime girls...

are you guys sure this exercise isn't a waste of time?
>>
>>2963429
it is a waste of time.

its like telling a person who wants to become prominent at fishing to 'do pushups' cause then you'll be able to throw the line better.

sure, it can help, but its never going to hold anyone's interest without them giving up on the hobby/practice. it's a side practice at most

It is too weed out the obedient weak masses

but you didnt hear this heresy from me
>>
>>2963397
I can't wait to get to where you are...
>>
>>2963432
Well thank god. I'm gonna go back to studying gesture and construction then.
>>
>>2963429
those are some tight boxes yo
>>
>>2963432
There is a group of posters here who seem intent on making the process of learning art as grim and debilitating at possible, hold up mythical "standards" and measurements that are purely fantasy. There's too much reliance on books (and misunderstanding what the books say), and are wasting people's time with pointless exercises.

For every hour of "boxes" and "Loomis", you should spend another hour on something fun and interesting.

Nothing against Loomis, he's a great reference, but there's more to it than just copying what he did over and over. Where art education comes in is leading the student from those exercises, to the next step.
>>
>>2963429
was this done digitally? How did you get such straight lines? I dunno if it's me or my tablet but I find it impossible to draw straight lines even though I practiced hours traditionally
>>
File: something.png (533KB, 900x733px) Image search: [Google]
something.png
533KB, 900x733px
Here's something i worked on today.

I fucked up the shoulders so I said fuck it and the legs could be better.
>>
>>2963429
Drawing boxes is great for understanding the 3D world on the paper.
Drawing boxes just randomly like you did, not even keeping in mind perspective or anything. Lines that should converge, diverge and vice versa. It's not going to help at all. You are pretty much hammering the piano without thought hoping you will learn something.
You have to put more thought and accuracy to it. Make more complex box formations and structures out of combined boxes.
The whole point is to see the 3D world and know how to draw inside it.
>>
>>2963423
i dont draw like him do i
>>
how the FUCK do i paint in photoshop
trying to do a photo study for the first time.
>>
File: SketchAndReference.png (1MB, 1000x886px) Image search: [Google]
SketchAndReference.png
1MB, 1000x886px
Absolute fucking beginner here, trying to work on making my hand actually do what I want it to do.

Any critique on this copy would be appreciated, I'm already aware how badly I fucked the right cheek/thumb.
>>
>>2963458
hell no nose bro sucks lol. I like your paintings if u are who i think you are. do you have a dog as a avatar on tumblr?
>>
>>2963466
nah, it's lisa from the simpsons
>>
>>2963449
I started learning how to draw seriously 100% digitally. So I don't have much experience with traditional tools.

From my experience the faster you draw that line the less chance it has to fuck up and get all jittery.

Also SAI has a stabilizer tool that helps... thats no secret. I keep mine around 8-10.

>>2963456
I guess I missed the point of the whole exercise then. Fuck I really don't want to go back and draw more of those fuckers.
>>
>>2963429
Boxes are important, but I think this is mostly a waste. Here's some things you can try.

- Try studying 2 and 3 point perspective a bit more and understanding how the vanishing points move as you rotate a box around each axis.

- Study boxes using a real object as ref or open up Blender and spin/transform the cube. Again study what the boxes look like and where the VPs go. Try altering dimensions or changing FOV/camera distance to see how perspective changes

- Try positioning boxes relative to each other in space. Build box structures. Boxy arches held up by other boxes. Draw some boxes falling into a box-like hole in the ground. Carve into the boxes and make other shapes.

This stuff really helps when drawing from imagination because it helps you set up and work in perspective and block in a composition. But don't just grind boxes mindlessly, I think that's probably a meme desu
>>
Should I be drawing on a flat desk or upright like with an easel?
>>
>>2963481
doesn't need to be upright but a slope of like 45 degrees is preferable to a flat table. basically you want the surface you're drawing on to be perpendicular to your line of sight. although even with a tablet a sloped surface is better so your not dragging your hand around all the time.
>>
File: EminemStan.jpg (299KB, 791x863px) Image search: [Google]
EminemStan.jpg
299KB, 791x863px
>>2963465
Glasses are wrong, eyebrows are bad, the hand sucks, only thing I kind of like is the hair
>>
>>2963496

Thanks for pointing those parts out, how would you suggest I improve?
>>
>>2963503
read keys to drawing by bert dodson! youre getting there with observational drawing, try that. pdf in artbooks thread.
>>
So for gesture you're not supposed to draw contours, but the examples have contours?
I don't get it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (133KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
133KB, 750x600px
>>2962618
>>
>>2963481
Your choice, or both. I have both. I switch according to what I'm feeling. Usually when I'm blocking out a painting, it's on the easel, so I can walk away and look at it from different distances, switch to the drawing table for the bulk of the work, putting it on the easel to look at it occasionally, and generally finishing the final touches on the easel.
>>
>>2963470
Then don't draw more. Switch to something else for a while.
>>
File: YmNEJl.jpg (826KB, 1915x1074px) Image search: [Google]
YmNEJl.jpg
826KB, 1915x1074px
I don't get this shit at all. should i be using color picker or something? im ass at this.
>>
>>2963433
lol I suck but thanks, you will get even better then me in no time. Just keep practicing
>>
Are there any good exercises for fixing "skewing" habits?
I've had the issue for years where I draw something then when I do the flip test it'll be completely crooked and uneven despite me believing it was completely fine before hand. Even when I try to measure things out and use guidlines it'll usually end up being atleast somewhat crooked.
>>
File: EPSON001.jpg (2MB, 1209x2496px) Image search: [Google]
EPSON001.jpg
2MB, 1209x2496px
Doryphoros-kun for tonight
>>
>drawabox says to never restate
>keys to drawing says restating is vital
?????
>>
>>2963557
Probably different definitions of "restate".
>>
>>2963524
Don't use the color picker.

What you do is look at the color at any given area. Try to match it. When you have selected what color you think it is. Paint over the area on the reference. If it blends in perfectly then you are good to go! Use that color!
If it's completely off then simply make adjustments and try again. You keep doing that until you get it right.
>>
>>2963570
any useful videos on how to go about painting in photoshop? i feel like im doing this wrong i started with a sketch then painted over it but as i was painting i couldnt even see my sketch and also the opacity was weird and too transparent in spots.
>>
>>2963557
You gonna listen to ISIS or not?
>>
>>2963557
Keys to Drawing is about teaching you to see shapes. Restating after fucking up in this context is very helpful since it allows you to see where you went wrong and learn from it.
On the contrary, Drawabox is about teaching you consistency when it comes to shit like lines. Restating here would be stupid since you're never going to more consistent if you can just try again until it looks right.
>>
File: Photoshop_2017-05-02_07-25-22.png (259KB, 433x330px) Image search: [Google]
Photoshop_2017-05-02_07-25-22.png
259KB, 433x330px
>>2963076
-Too much focus on the noses
-Eyes are too low
-Glabella too small
-Ears too high
I drew over it in my own style
so dont acknowledge how i drew it just acknowledged where everything is placed
>>
>>2963524
You're painting the face at the wrong angle
everything is either too large or angled wrong
>>
File: Photoshop_2017-05-02_07-50-49.png (61KB, 220x440px) Image search: [Google]
Photoshop_2017-05-02_07-50-49.png
61KB, 220x440px
how dis
>>
File: chairnshit.jpg (506KB, 698x1000px) Image search: [Google]
chairnshit.jpg
506KB, 698x1000px
Finished keys to drawing, and been doing some drawabox.
I need to focus on rooms and everyday items, and especially their perspective, is there a book that gives great tools for this? Is perspective made easy good?
>>
File: BLEEH.png (101KB, 356x414px) Image search: [Google]
BLEEH.png
101KB, 356x414px
>>2963465
too many mistakes, redraw it twice and faster.
compare between the three for mistakes
if you feel like you still need help post all 3 as one scaled down image
pic is for help
>>
>>2963516
Symbol drawing
>>
>>2962624
abloo bloo bloo!
>>
File: Study 2-May.jpg (90KB, 470x462px) Image search: [Google]
Study 2-May.jpg
90KB, 470x462px
I draw a lot worse than this without refs.
>>
File: Chaponval.jpg (415KB, 1356x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Chaponval.jpg
415KB, 1356x1000px
>>2962616
Finlay here again
I'm working on head studies from imagination; I feel as if the information on how to draw a head isn't stabilised. For instance: the quality of the leftmost head which I drew about four days ago seems to be much better than what I've been drawing over the past couple of days

I just wanted to ask: does something seem symbolic about the eyes in these studies? Any other help is appreciated
>>
File: latex 3.png (122KB, 717x1084px) Image search: [Google]
latex 3.png
122KB, 717x1084px
>>2963047
also heres my second attempt.

seriously,no advice on the painting thing?
>>
File: 1493729385361.jpg (237KB, 909x330px) Image search: [Google]
1493729385361.jpg
237KB, 909x330px
>>2963744
I'd do a redline for you, but I need to concentrate on my translation job for the next several hours, and my tablet is plugged off and removed from the table for more comfortable typing.

For now I suggest observing the sketchfab model again to fix the following points:
1) Mouths located too low.
2) Eyes, noses, mouth, and chins (you can add atop of the head to that) don't have a single central line that they are aligned to.
3) Cranium shapes.
4) Necks in 3/4 views.

https://sketchfab.com/models/7bb018ad519b41cd9611554b6d3ebdac

For the ears observe your leftmost head which has a good looking face and a properly positioned ear.

Regards, your dailycrit.

>>2963750
SMUDGE your highlights, bruh.
>>
>>2963750
>>2963047
ctrlpaint.com
>>
>>2963716

Help
>>
I just downloaded a fuckton of Vilppu stuff. Is there any difference between the video lectures and the book for figure drawing? Which one would be better to start with?
>>
I've been drawing shapes (boxes, spheres, cones etc) and generally still life for at least a month now and I keep wondering when I'd get to draw cute girls.
>>
>>2963803
You get to draw cute girls whenever you want, anon. Only your own will and skills are the barrier preventing you from attempting to draw cute girls and from drawing them cute respectively.
>>
>>2963803
>I keep wondering when I'd get to draw cute girls
As soon as you want. Go ahead, draw a cute girl for me, anon!

idk why /beg/ thinks boxes will help them with anime girls.

Fundamentals are there to help you express your artistic vision, not to keep you from creating it.
Additionally you won't get better at cute girls if you don't practice them.
>>
>>2963805
It's the irregularity of the shapes of humans that get me. Still life is pretty straightforward when it comes to construction and rendering, but I open the loomis or vilppu head guides and I just become retarded with all of it.
>>
>>2963807
Then don't use them until you're ready for it or practice them on the side. You can just copy cute photos or drawings to get a feel for it. Do what you think is right and what you think is fun. Figure drawing is something you have to get into if you want to be good at cute girls, but it's not mandatory to draw cute girls. Just look at tumblr. Copying anime can give you a decent amount of skill.
>>
>>2963807
>>2963809
You know, I'm actually getting curious to know what's the end goal of the British lad.
M8, do you want to draw qt animoo girls too, or maybe you want to become a famous painter? What is your ambition?
>>
Vilppu or Proko for starting figure drawing?
>>
File: term1_anatomy_legs2.jpg (212KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
term1_anatomy_legs2.jpg
212KB, 900x1200px
>>2963852
proko hands down.

Anyone in here that actually knows his craft in sketching? I never learned to sketch properly and figures I'd start catching up with some legs.

What could I improve on?
Please be very precise/harch. not only in the anatomy but the visual aspect of the drawing.
>>
>>2963869
Why don't you define your feet? Draw some sexy female feet in open high heels, let footfags relish in their depravity.

Then I have to add a friendly reminder that thighs are longer than calves (try sitting in seiza to get your most convincing proof) and that lower calves don't have a single muscle that could protrude like that. Finally, feet are exactly or almost exactly 1/2 of a calf in length.
>>
>>2963877
OH I see what you mean with the calves/thighs. Especially on the one in the lower left.

You guys think I should shade some of those?
Backstory: I want to not only draw in order to learn to draw. I'd like to add some drawings to my portfolio next to my paintings (which I am better at)

What would YOU do visually to make the drawings pop.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x3361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x3361px
I'm really trying to avoid "anime" style. Any tips?
>>
>>2963903
BY READING THE OP, AND DOING WHAT IT SAYS
>>
>>2963907
??
>>
>>2963908
GOOD, NOW READ THE STICKY IT LINKS TO.
DO WHAT IT TELLS YOU TO DO.
>>
>>2963907
>>2963911
autism

>>2963903
Study actual humans and use references for drawing heads.
Also read the sticky on symbol drawing and watch some Proko on head construction, if that's what you want to do.
>>
>>2963506

Thanks anon, I'll give it a read.

>>2963731

I'll give this a try, but won't I just make more mistakes if I draw it faster?
>>
So I'm never one to do a lot of gesture or figure drawing (this one page is my 4th time doing this kinda thing), I just got the motivation to do some today as i am trying to get on the "draw and practice everyday" training method.
I didn't really use a lot of references here other than the one middle sketch in this heap of amateur gestures.

For a doodler going into Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth" Do you think I'm going in with anything or am i completely trash at this?
>>
File: Gesture and Figure drawing #1.png (404KB, 950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gesture and Figure drawing #1.png
404KB, 950x1200px
>>2963990
Issue with file uploading....
>>
>>2963869
How did you practice to get such nice lines?
>>
>>2963990
>>2963995
No.
>>
>>2963914
Thank you!
>>
>>2964022
So it's trash? I don't get you response...
>>
>>2963995
Confident lines. You seem to bring everything you need with you to start successfully studying figures. I'd actually recommend to read Hampton first at your current level. Loomis can be a bit jarring in his writing style and you seem to understand basic proportions.
>>
File: Rad!.png (250KB, 950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rad!.png
250KB, 950x1200px
>>2964032
Could i ask for a link or name of the book please?
Or is the Name enough?
>>
>>2964007
Hm. Precision training and time. It really just takes time.
Do your regular traight line practice, circles etc. Place random dots and try to combine them with a fluid single stroke and as accurate as possible.

Also, regarding subject matter. For the more complex of those drawings I tend to do a measurment layer first that is really just straight lines instead of curves along the edges of the subject.

Once all the measuring is done I begin to draw the actual curves ontop. Which is a lot easier since you dont have to worry about proportion anymore.

There are many tricks to this. Almost noone can draw a proportionally accurate subject with confident strokes straight up.

Oh, also practice layering multiple strokes on top as accurate as possible. Or connect strokes together and make them look seamless.
This sort of practice is best being done as warm up each time you wanna work.
>>
>>2964042
Steven Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing: Design and Invention

There should be a link in the artbook thread, but I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Shouldn't be too hard to get it.
>>
File: 20170502_121313.jpg (2MB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_121313.jpg
2MB, 1600x1143px
I guess anatomy is starting to make more sense but god, my faces are all over the fucking place.
>>
How long will it take me to get used to Photoshop so that i may use it to great effect in my drawings? I'm about to transition to digital.
>>
File: Weird Mickey.png (174KB, 1097x831px) Image search: [Google]
Weird Mickey.png
174KB, 1097x831px
>>2964054
Thanks anon! much appreciated.
>>
>>2963995
FYI it is probably worse to start loomis after practicing on your own because you'll have bad habits to break. Looks like you have weak perspective, and limited anatomy.
>>
File: Building a Scene.png (690KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Building a Scene.png
690KB, 850x1200px
>>2964065
No problem, Like the sketch shows i don't do this alot.
>weak perspective
Yup! that needs work!
>Limited anatomy
Same! the more books i read and the more i practice the better.
pic related is terrible, but can't say i didn't try HA!

Till i make it... somewhere.
>>
>>2964057
It is... barely. The manface raising her (?) arms has some bodybuilder-tier shoulders, and at least one of her (?) legs is made of rubber. Most of the others have the kind of shoulders that a wannabe male athlete would happily kill for. The plaid girl and the swimsuit near her suffer from this issue the least, but their arms look kinda shitty. The Megane-bikini-tan also suffers from perspectivitis horribilis.

As for those hideous faces, you might want to purposely symbol draw them or fuck them up in some other way just so they wouldn't be so distractingly fugly. Or just hide them from the viewers in some other way until you're able to draw a face that at least doesn't give the viewer an urge to puke.
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (1MB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
1MB, 1000x833px
can't into drawing cause my ability is too crap
I know what I must do, but the fear of it turning out crap makes me give up earlier in, the numbers are 0 for raw, 1 is after some learning and 2 is gesture practice.
Things go fine in beginning, but then I get overwhelmed by all details & it starts looking like model.
>>
>>2963990

Looking at your doodles you probably can jump straight into loomis. But I recommend checking out others like michael hampton or steve huston.

Personally I don't like loomis. I just can't follow his method. I'm using a combination of huston and hampton.

Try everything you can get your hands on. Take the things you want from it and ignore the rest. If you look at some professional artist drawing videos. Non of them uses just one method. It's more like a combination methods, and some of their own that they discovered through years of practice.

As for bad habits... Just work on the fundamentals. The fundamentals are the foundation of everything.
>>
>>2964105
>it starts
*when it starts
>>
>>2963995
good gestures and line
looks like you're interested in animation?

>>2964057
do more gesture to practice strong and solid lines
because those lines are way too scratchy for pen work
if you're going to work in pen then you're going to need to work harder on drawing clean and unbroken lines
otherwise you're just sketching with a pen for no reason
and you might as well just use a hard pencil if you're going to sketch
also try to constrain the nose, eyes, and mouth into a small triangle in order to keep those features from "creeping" out into the rest of the face
and SLOW DOWN because these look pretty rushed and rushing your work kills your progress
your faces are "all over the place" because you're drawing too fast
take a breath, slow down, stop, look, draw, repeat

>>2964081
easy with that edge anon
no reason to act a cunt here
this is /beg/ after all and everybody's gotta start somewhere

>>2964105
as a first step you should stop drawing on notebook paper
drawing on clean paper makes it feel more like "learning art" and less like "crappy doodling"
and your lines majorly lack confidence
either they're one weak and wobbly (albeit unbroken) line
or they're a series of scratchy and weak ones that serve as rendering to hide mistakes
based on the way you started your post it sounds like you lack confidence in general
so work on that
you can be critical of your work without needlessly being down on yourself with shit like
>my ability is too crap
you're learning a skill and you're not going to be good at it to start
so don't worry about creating masterpieces from the beginning
do much more gesture to practice line strength
and practice your construction before adding ANY detail
because the details won't look right if your construction is weak/incorrect
my life drawing teacher always said "you can't paint a house that doesn't have any walls"
focus on the foundation first
>>
File: draw.jpg (170KB, 1224x905px) Image search: [Google]
draw.jpg
170KB, 1224x905px
vilppu preserve me
>>
>>2964136
> no reason to act a cunt here
I wasn't trying to... I'm just prone to being brutally honest.

>>2964105
Your kitty and hand don't look bad for a beginner actually.
>>
File: Scan0219.jpg (394KB, 1090x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Scan0219.jpg
394KB, 1090x1196px
Why can't I get these arms proportioned right?
>>
>>2964211
Because of the gun, I guess. It is held at a visibly different angle.
>>
>>2962616
>>
>>2964178
It's not bad, you might not deserve what I say next but it's important to understand the principle -

You got meme'd my friend. Jumping into anatomy and skipping the fundies is not a good tactic. Work your way slowly, be patient. Start with the line, then a shape, then simple forms, complex forms, merge them, twist them, rotate and combine them. Learn to draw bugs, plants, everyday objects, water and wind, simple vehicles, simple sceneries, more complex sceneries AND THEN, then you can start worrying about individual muscles and actually learn something from it.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.
>>
>>2964211
Looks like you're starting detailed and working your way down from her head, instead of mapping where things are and working from big to small. Her arm is out of perspective -- the gun doesn't read as a gun, and you're still symbol drawing.

My advice is to do a lot of gestures as quickly as you can.

Pay attention to the angles in your drawing, and visualize vertical and horizontal lines that will help you place things.

Learning to draw is, largely, learning to see. Look for relationships, for lines that flow into one another. Look at negative space (particularly off in the lower half of your drawing).

To be frank, right now I don't think you'd benefit much from trying to study photos. Draw from life instead, and do it often. Don't worry if it's crap, because in the beginning it always is.

I'd redline this if I wasn't on my phone. I hope this is useful to you.
>>
>>2964178
Listen to this >>2964219 anon.

Your line work in particular needs improvement. It's hairy and blurs the form, making it difficult to see details. Start with that first.

Once you can place lines where you intend, you'll get a lot more out of anatomy practice, even if you're just guessing at the perspective and the volume.
>>
>>2964105
This anon >>2964136 is quite right. Don't be too hard on yourself -- be critical, but also be fair. It's easy to be self-deprecating when you want to be Leonardo da Vinci RIGHT NOW, but you can't. The best you can do is get lost in the drawing and follow it as long as you're interested.

Art shouldn't be miserable. It is hard work improving, yes, but it's supposed to be rewarding.
>>
>>2963938
You want to draw it faster because either you'll make a good mistake which will teach you how to draw something.

or you'll make a mistake that you wont notice until you're done, and it will be so terrible that you'll never make that mistake again
>>
>>2963903
Read the sticky. It's there for a reason.

But I'll hold your hand a little bit -- art is stylized simplification, and right now your visual library is chock full of anime faces. I can tell by your drawing. So start looking at classical or renaissance artwork. Instead of drawing anime eyes and small button noses on an egg shape, read a book on the construction and shapes of the head.

Also work on your line work. Your stuff will look a million times better when you're confident.
>>
>>2963869
Your sketches and lines are very clean. Good work on that.

Doesn't quite look 3D though -- your figures look a bit floaty and disconnected, like your lines. I think you could benefit from varying weight more, too, to create a sense of perspective and light -- and maybe some crosshatching, if you're feeling adventurous.
>>
>>2964198
>being brutally honest
Why do people think being brutally honest means being insulting?
You were literally like
>It's so fucking ugly I want to puke so better draw them with a bag covering their face
without giving any actual insight. I doubt you have any anatomical knowledge at all, since your observations are really superficial. If you had at least the guts to post your own work, but you seem like a faggot who gets off on belitteling others.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (162KB, 667x1007px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
162KB, 667x1007px
I draw random thing every day. Mostly exercise stuff, though sometimes I draw whatever comes to mind. Like this butt.
>>
>>2964273
Being too liberal with your darks. If this is meant to be a black ass, it doesn't look it -- looks like it's covered in soot.

Is this from reference?
>>
>>2964052
thanks anon i will go practice that
>>
File: 7.jpg (624KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
624KB, 1200x1600px
>>2964285
Yeah, I used this page from Druuna then tried to experiment a little with shading.
>>
>>2964057
Don't say that anon I love the way you draw faces! And your figures look great seriously.
>>
>>2964265
Actually, I get off on helping others. I don't enjoy making insults, although this thread succeeded in making me somewhat of an M. And don't call my notes superficial. This isn't a pro thread. If I would spend time scrutinuously examining a beginner's picture to point out even the smallest flaws, it would make me a real, shameful faggot. There's no way a beginner would be able to fix everything at once. Don't overload a beginner. It's better to go step by step, learning to eliminate the most jarring issues first.

And I say it again, Disneyland cartoon style of drawing female faces is pig disgusting.
>>
>>2964314
Can you help me with finding good stuff for >>2963719 ?
>>
File: weird body position.png (202KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
weird body position.png
202KB, 600x800px
this was incredibly hard, will upload original ref. too.
>>
So I want to start making art. Any kind of art. Tried the whole music thing and I'm awful at guitar. Are there any programs I can use to get started?
>>
>>2964318
>I'm awful at guitar
Well, you are going to be just as awful at drawing.
Both of those things are skills, and need to be practiced to not be awful in.
>>
File: editied.png (1004KB, 666x658px) Image search: [Google]
editied.png
1004KB, 666x658px
>>2964317
but she still has many dynamic poses you can use to further your studies.

was going to post the original ref but 4chan won't allow me because it considers my painting a 'duplicate'.... lol that's nice

drew red lines because of that
>>
>>2963439
Lol someone already said this
see
>>2963251
>>2963256
>>
>>2964316
I actually wanted to reply back when you posted it, but I forgot for some reason. You can find the artbook thread here: >>2948857.
Norling's book is good, yep. Truth be told, you only need to go through the first half of it for most perspective you'll ever need until you delve into most complex forms of it. (Read the chapter about shadows too, though!) The Robertson's book explains the subject better, and it is more suitable for learning to draw all kinds of objects, but it is, like, really complex and may kill your spirit if it's not firm enough.
>>
>>2963535
This one will make it
>>
>>2964340
Thank you!
>>
>>2964314
>Actually, I get off on helping others
You're a funny guy, anon. Are you sure you don't get off being creative with your insults?

>backpaddling this hard
Just admit you don't actually know shit about anatomy or even basic construction for that matter.

If you seriously want to give advice, do a redline. Or at least point out the elemental issues instead of nitpicking about manly features of the figures. Parroting memes like "symbol drawing" and indulging in making fun of an unimportant issue is not helpful. I bet you couldn't even provide valuable sources.

I'm sorry for being harsh on you, anon, but I see behaviour like this all the time on /ic/ and it really fucks me off that you actually think people should be grateful for your shit. You can speak your mind and insult anyone you like, but don't call it a critique.
>>
>>2964318
Everyone is awful at everything when they start. The ones you think are "talented" just started earlier than you.
>>
File: IMG_20170502_171343.jpg (389KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170502_171343.jpg
389KB, 720x1280px
How's my butt drawing guys and gals? No refs used, I'm just trying to have fun again.
>>
>>2964354
How do I draw as good butts as you
>>
>>2963580
>>2963570
I slightly disagree with not using the color picker. You should to try to do it by eye first but if you don't get it right after 20 minutes then you should use the color picker to analyze the colors on the picture. Now keep in mind, I said anaylyze- if you take the time to see the patterns of the colors take in the shadows, lights and highlights instead of just mindlessly copying it you will learn very fast how to colors interact with each other in real life. Ideally you'd want to know color theory and how light works to really get as much out of it as you can, but really the only way you get good at color is just remembering how colors change in different scenarios and just experimenting with them until they look good
>>
>>2963713
Fix that left arm
>>
>>2964356
Draw from a lot of references I guess.
>>
>>2964255
I can't entirely agree with you. A common problem beginners face is overthinking and getting caught up in details. The reason why you wanna draw fast is because you won't have time to think, you'll only have enough time to see and move your hand.

>>2964314
Dif. anon here. That's not what a superficial critique is though. A superficial critique is pointing out individual unimportant flaws instead of seeing the big picture and telling anon what he needs to focus on.
Actual mistakes are usually either messing up one or more of the fundies or having shit visual library.

Your critique wasn't that bad, but keep trying, browse threads, draw, learn and you'll develop a critical eye with time. It's okay, we're all learning.
>>
>>2964348
The only thing I really care about is whether those people improve.
I would do a redline like usually, but those faces do disgust me on a physical level. Maybe it's autistic, but to heck with it. What's wrong with the shoulders isn't their being manly, but rather their being impossibly wide.

>>2964354
THICC, but I'm not into that, so not sexy enough for me. The far butt cheek in 3/4 is too big, and the hip bone is put too low, if that's the hip bone (which shouldn't be visible under all that fat). The bent over gurl's vag region is wrong. Google "all fours nude woman reference", switch to images, and study.
Aside from that, how about adding a thigh gap, making the dimples of venus more pronounced and giving your Plumpity Plumps slimmer waists?
>>
>>2963869
I was basking in the beauty of your linework but then I saw bottom left pic - what happened there?
The knee is almost an entire cranium above its correct position. It's one and a half head to the knee, one and a half to the ankle, remember?
>>
>>2964318

This: >>2964349
>>2964322

Learn to enjoy practice or get nowhere.
>>
File: Nudes 0002.jpg (123KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Nudes 0002.jpg
123KB, 683x1024px
Btw, here's the image I found by that query.
It's so funny I want to see somebody doing a study of this.
>>
>>2964392
she has butt implants right
>>
>>2964392
>draw this perfectly 1:1
>post on /ic/
>LOOMIS VILPU PROKKO ANATOMY LMAO >>/BEG/
>>
>>2964392
those breasts look nice upside down
>>
>>2964392
it's shopped
>>
>>2962616
How should I approach learning anatomy? Which books are good for it? There are so many in the sticky I don't know which one I should try.
>>
>>2964421
Bridgman and Hampton. Godspeed anon.
>>
File: headscpy.jpg (970KB, 1337x1671px) Image search: [Google]
headscpy.jpg
970KB, 1337x1671px
>>2960705
More head drawings, from reference except for the two on the bottom right.
>>
File: ains.jpg (76KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ains.jpg
76KB, 900x900px
>>2964450
I wouldn't mind getting some of that milk
>>
File: 1493764083495.jpg (113KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493764083495.jpg
113KB, 900x900px
>>2964458
Did you give your meat a good ol' rub already? A jerky wouldn't be a jerky without it. The milk cums after that on its own.
>>
At what point does drawing become fun? And not an exercise in frustration with every line?
>>
>>2964493
never
>>
>>2964493
when you stop trying to git gud. after a while you'll grow accustomed to the frustration.
>>
>>2964493
Its a mindset thing, accept your mistakes and work with them instead of fretting.
>>
>>2964497
>>2964501
This. So much this.
>>
>>2964493
No, idea what your on about, seems pretty fun to me. Though it is sometimes hard start, but once I begin I can go on for hours.
>>
>>2964497
>>2964501

If I stop trying to git gud, how will I git gud? Any suggested books or articles for the mindset? Right now my practicing strategy is to practice every day for an hour or until I'm so mad I want to rip my sketchbook in half. Recently that's been happening sooner into my practice sessions.
>>
>>2964493
The frustrating part is typically when you're first trying to learn something. You'll be very clumsy with it and very slow and the things you draw will look like crap.

It's the same exact process with learning anything else. Say you're learning how to play the piano. You start off frustrated with how bad you play. But as you learn, the easier it gets and eventually you're able to play a few songs on your own, you have a few tricks you can execute, and you start enjoying your own skill and the sound of your own music.
>>
>>2964512
Just git gud.
>>
Maybe this is a little too... esoteric, but is it weird to feel pressed into trying to learn to do something creative (drawing or otherwise) largely out of a sense of guilt?

It feels like a bad frame of mind to be motivated into doing something, but whenever I take in a comic, an album, a book, whatever, I feel like I'm being a parasite that just consumes without returning anything back. It feels wrong to be taking creative material in and not finding a way to get inspired by it.
>>
>>2964512
git gud
>>
>>2964512
Have you ever consider there are several ways to get to your goal and ripping apart your sketchbooks in anger probably isn't the right one?

Learn to accept your mistakes, anon. Let go of your ego.
>>
>>2964211
you're choosing too hard of a subject matter at this time

right now you need to stick to basic forms
>>
>>2964512
You just try new things for the hell of it, with a spirit of wonder and playfulness. That's how you branch out. If you view drawing as a tedious thing you have to do to get to x point, you'll hate it, not be fully engaged, and will eventually quit.

Don't draw to get good, don't draw to say "look, I made this!" Draw to draw. It's a process, but you have your eye set on this nonexistent end goal. That's counterproductive. Just scrape your pencil on your pad in a way that makes you happy and have a constructively critical eye, and progress will follow naturally.
>>
How do I learn perspective? Even perspective made easy is kind of hard. It teaches me no construction, just tells me to draw and use vanishing points, do i draw the cube or the vanishing points first? wtff
>>
>>2964546
I think you've got caught in some weird cognitive process where you rationalize feeling inspired by art as being compelled to create by guilt. I also think like that sometimes
>>
>>2962623
>>
File: Woman.png (406KB, 900x808px) Image search: [Google]
Woman.png
406KB, 900x808px
Please be gentle
>>
I currently have the Wacom Intuos Art (Medium) and I was wondering if I upgrade to the Wacom Intuos Pro (Medium) will I improve any faster because it's a nicer tablet? It's got like 8000+ levels of pressure sensitivity where my Intuos art only has 1024. The Pro also has an eraser which i think is just really fuckin dandy.

Perhaps I'm not improving as fast as I hoped because I'm using a lower end Wacom tablet.

I have the money but i'd rather get the opinion from some more experienced people on here first before I drop the cash.
>>
>>2964594
looks like kristen stewart
>>
>>2964600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt0A2SGmB_Y
tldr no it really wont
also use ur hotkeys its instant to press a key with ur other hand as opposed to flipping the fucking pen lmao
i had a bamboo and it worked well and now i have an intuos art medium and its bigger which is actually beneficial with the resolution im working at but its no better otherwise. fuck all those extras.
>>
>>2964603
Hey we have the same tablet then! Could you post your best work on it? I guarantee it's better than anything I've done. Just knowing it was done on the same tablet is encouraging.
>>
File: browser_2017-05-02_18-04-11.png (136KB, 314x464px) Image search: [Google]
browser_2017-05-02_18-04-11.png
136KB, 314x464px
>>2964609
im a beginner obviously but this looks relatively clean, right?
newer tablets simply only offer higher levels of sensitivity, but from say, 1-10 pixel thick lines, do you really think it's going to make a difference to have all those levels of sensitivity
media buttons are dumb with a keyboard, and eraser on end is dumb, cause well, keyboard
this was done on a bamboo from 2012
also theres an intuos 3 cult for good reason: theyre durable and work just as well as any new intuos.
(the new intuos nibs wear down fast >:( )
hope this helps
>>
File: log.jpg (303KB, 1143x857px) Image search: [Google]
log.jpg
303KB, 1143x857px
water colors. need some tips. Don't even know all the mistakes I'm doing.
>>
>>2964617
Very clean! Thanks, it's refreshing to save money for once.
>>
>>2964628
yep!
only upgrade from that is either a more durable tablet or a display tablet.
>>
>>2964392
wip
why is drawing the face so fucking difficult?
>>
File: Untitled-4.jpg (350KB, 1366x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-4.jpg
350KB, 1366x1024px
>>2964634
forgot image
>>
>>2962616
This is a legit question but IDK how to ask it

How the fuck do you draw?
>>
File: 1468018367280.png (219KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1468018367280.png
219KB, 540x540px
just fucking my shit up
>>
>>2964634
Its not that faces are more difficult, but human brains are really, really good at seeing differences in faces. Your whole drawing has inaccuracies, but you notice it more in the face.
>>
>>2964656
Is that hannibal?
>>
>>2964663
It's the mads photo posted on /beg/ 2 threads ago
>>
File: etc.jpg (499KB, 3000x657px) Image search: [Google]
etc.jpg
499KB, 3000x657px
dont know if anyone from yesterday is still here, im the struggling loomhead anon
>>
>>
>>
>>
just let me die
>>
>>2964795
>>2964796
>>2964797
>>2964804
>i want my super special drawing to be posted early in a brand new thread so everyone will see it xddd
kill yourself you pathetic retard
>>
>>2964809
projecting
>>
>>2964822
>struck a nerve
>>
does studying math make you better at drawing
>>
>>2964833
Yes, you need to learn trig and linear algebra before you even have a chance of grasping the fundamentals
>>
>>2964839
i only no calculus
>>
File: Untitled-5.jpg (302KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-5.jpg
302KB, 1000x750px
>>2964392
>>2964636
not satisfied with the face desu
>>
>>2964866
>loomis
that's not how bodies work
>>
>>2964866
well, the reference face looks pretty ugly in that position anyway, so I'd say you did pretty good. The alignment of the eyes could be better though. Add some shadow to under the nose to show it sticking out of the face.

You're dealing with a pretty round butt there. Perfect chance for a form study. Look at that core shadow and that rim light tho.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (195KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
195KB, 1000x750px
I've been too big a bitch to post my art for critique but that's gone on long enough.

I have a lot of trouble keeping proportions believable and dynamic when trying to apply perspective to a figure. Any advice?
>>
File: shit.png (137KB, 748x438px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
137KB, 748x438px
>>2962618
Fuck...WHERE DOES THE FACE EVEN GO?
>>
File: herre u go.png (77KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
herre u go.png
77KB, 500x300px
>>2964804
>>
File: girlsitting.png (200KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
girlsitting.png
200KB, 600x600px
>>2962618
eh fuck it im done
>>
File: 2017-05-03 11.29.26.jpg (1MB, 1008x1791px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-03 11.29.26.jpg
1MB, 1008x1791px
please help me here
>>
>>2965005
I'm not going to meme you and go loomis get gud pleb seriously just go draw from a hundred references then try again.
>>
>>2964627
Watercolor is all about learning the different kinds of washes and techniques, like drybrush, to define forms and build your painting. What you did is solid, especially if you did it on site, plein air.

Watercolor is challenging, because it's a different thought process when planning it - you're using the white of the paper instead of white paint, to mix your colors, and using transparent layers to mix. You have to determine your values before you start, and a strong underdrawing helps a lot.

My process for watercolors is pencil (usually 2h on very smooth paper, I buy parent sheets of hot press 300lb, stretched on board with tape) then starting off with the lightest colors, like yellow or yellow ochre, or if it's a landscape, the sky, in a large, wet wash, then letting that dry completely. Then I just art layering with colors, trying to work from big to small - I end the painting with small rounds, cross hatching and defining edges with more opaque mixes of paint.

It's up to you to define a style, there are watercolorists who are very realistic with tightly drawn compositions and incredibly tight washes, and those who paint very loosely and with more character, where it's more impressionistic. For me, what you have is a dark underpainting, that I would go back in with more more opaque washes and start picking out forms and shapes and shadows, still working transparently, but using less water and not painting wet into wet.

I wont bs - watercolor is hard to master. Keep at it. I'm fascinated with it. My mom had a painting of a single leaf, that the artist created with a few washed, that is one of the most beautiful watercolors I've ever seen, in terms of technique and color - and I bet it took the artist a long time to get that good.

Just keep going. This isn't a race. Every painting will teach you something new. Keep working with it, and learn the washes and brushes. The first watercolor class I took in college, half the semester was washes.
>>
>>2965093
wow, thanks for some great information anon! I'll do what you said and go in with some details. It has indeed been difficult to use watercolors, but it has some very excellent qualities I want to explore.
>>
>>2964373
about the fast part
he made alot of mistakes in his first picture

so I thought he should just make multiple pictures
and take in information between them and see what he's done correctly
>>
>>2965021
Thanks
>>
File: 20170316_214553.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170316_214553.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>2962616
How much shtink does your dink?
>>
File: wip3.png (723KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wip3.png
723KB, 1000x1000px
I've been struggling with mapping recently so rate my mapping/planning? does anything look off before I carry this on?
>>
>>2963246
Stop mirroring.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 95

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.