[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

drawing on the right side of the brain

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Is it possible to self teach myself with this textbook? How should I schedule myself? (I work at ups). How long will it take to see results
>>
>>2778223

gotcha man
>>
>>2781997
>he fell for the dotrsotb meme
>>
Do Keys to Drawing instead, do all the exercises at least once the first time through, and go back as needed. Can you self learn? Yes. Do most people quit after going into it with a "I'm going to put so much time in and get so good" mentality? Yes. Pace yourself and stick to a program.
>>
>>2782004
I can't find the keys pdf. I work at ups during the week in the evening (starting early in the afternoon on mondays)
You think I should dedicate 2-3 hours to it?
>>
That book (and keys to drawing while we are at it) is supposed to help you stop symbol drawing. It's just the first step in a long way. Don't think that you're gonna be making great art after you finish it (if you actually do finish it)
Once you stop with the symbols, you gotta start learning the fundamentals.
If you are interested in my opinion, I think that Keys to drawing is the better book, but as I said, once your eyes are functioning properly you can drop these books and get to the real stuff

Anyways, good luck anon.
>>
>>2781997
That book is a piece of crap.
Get into Andrew Loomis and study the fundamentals: Value, color and composition.
>>
>>2785438
different anon, would it be valuable to go through each page of say, drawing heads and hands by loomis and make sketches for each page? I'm starting out that way and I figure by the time I'm done I'll have my own notebook on heads to refer to. also are there any other people in the same league as loomis that you could recommend
>>
>>2782009
Libgen.io brother. If you still can't find it I'll post it here
>>
>>2781997
it's book about psychology behind learning process, teaching art etc. Read if you want to work in that sort of field but don't except any technical knowledge from there.

Books by Robertson or Loomis are only ones I read that aren't complete meme desu senpai
>>
>>2781997

The book and the exercises shouldn't take you more than 1 or 2 weeks. No good reason to skip it, but also it's just the first step. Don't expect miraculous results, and it's entirely about drawing from observation, as a beginner. You won't find anything about perspective or anatomy for example.

Half the book is an old lady ranting about what she thinks she understood about the brain based on science from the 70's. Basically if it was true, you should be better at maths by closing your eyes (should shut down the R-mode amiright?).

Expect to skim through a lot of fluff, and go for the explanations/exercises. They're mostly taken from older books, so the Right Brain stuff doesn't matter at all.

Also the chapter on color has been added for this new edition, it adds little to no value.
The last chapter on writing also adds little value: if you're interested in color or typo, there are more in-depth books you'll read later.

Keys to Drawing should take you much longer, and covers way more things.

>>2782004
>Do most people quit after going into it with a "I'm going to put so much time in and get so good" mentality? Yes.

Ah, story of my life. The Barge's plates broke my prideful and youthful spirit mercilessly. I'm only coming back here after almost a year's break.
>>
>>2785464
The most valuable thing of loomis books is what he has to say, read it over and over. The images besides o being very useful as a visual guide are also excellent reference material, but the important thing about using the book is to comprehend the Method, the process. And that should be teamwork between analysis and constant periodic practice.
Hope it helps.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.