[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to deal with Procrastination?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: 14468020501330.jpg (39KB, 580x392px) Image search: [Google]
14468020501330.jpg
39KB, 580x392px
/ic/ please help me or i will fuck it up really hard.
I need to get back to my regular schedule but i cant.
I had so much stress during past 3 years (family member loss, some health stuff and shit) and this year i barely was drawing because of problems and at the end even got a job where i wasnt paid. So im poor but need to get back to be that "professional" that i was 2 years ago.
BUT I CAN'T! I got a horrible, the worst possible procrastination. I cant handle it.
I can sit for hours and watch every youtube video, or waste time on videogames and find myself that it's 6:00AM while i "started to draw" at 5:00PM.
Freelance artist is my only job and i liked to draw but the problems i had really made me frustrated about art. Every time i sit here, my mind tries to avoid drawing and use any possible way to do that.
I hate this. Im fucking my life up and i want to be that productive artist i was 2 years ago.

What to do?
Anyone had this problem?

Now it takes me 3-4 days to draw something that could take only 1-2 days in the past.
>>
>>2732550
Stop tuning out. Be conscientious.

Habit forming is key. Remember, just two weeks of doing the same thing at the same time and you're set, even if you miss a day or so you can get right back on the horse.

"On the horse" mentality is it. Just catch yourself drifting off course and get back on it.

Personally I've found that setting regular phone alarms and the like keeps the ball rolling even when I have to do shit all day for my job.

Not viewing it as work but as a hobby you're training in, I found that helped too.
>>
>>2732550

Go bring your sketchbook outside and draw at the park or library.
>>
>>2732550
You "Just Do It", also join >>2730903
>>
>>2732550
I will guide you on The Path. Follow these steps:

Step 1: take good care of yourself (mentally and physically).
Step 2: don't waste time (study or draw)

Pause often throughout the day to reflect on whether your current actions are a part of Step 1 or Step 2. When they are, take a moment to congratulate yourself and feel genuine inner joy. When they aren't, try to imagine where your current actions are leading you.

All you need do is be mindful of The Path and the steps you need to take.
>>
You just have to force yourself. Get in the habit of using a timer. You don't have to log anything just time yourself for 20 minutes and then an hour of video game. Repeat 3 times and you'd have an hour of drawing per day while enjoying games. Eventually you might trade a 20 from your game time and allocate it to drawing and it becomes 40 mins drawing 40 mins video game etc. Baby steps until you find the sweet spot of hours you want to dedicate time to drawing.
>>
increment slowly the time you speend drawning

don't stress about the result, a huge part of procrastination i anticipating the defeat or displeasure following action.

don't think, start drawing, don't "try your best", just draw.
it turn out shitty? no prob, keep on drawing, don't force your way out of the timers, you've drawn for two hours and feel like you can keep going? don't, take your time, rest, and set the timer for tomorrow to 3 hours,etc
>>
>>2732565

Just drop videogames entirely. They're all pretty shitty now.
>>
>>2732777

Most people are just going to replace games with some other void. It's better not to cut it out completely.
>>
Caffeine helps. And drawing in front of others. Can easily pull 4 hour drawing sessions with just coffee though.
>>
>>2732804
>And drawing in front of others
I can't bring myself to do that, I get performance anxiety.

Never gonna make it (as a streamer at least).
>>
>>2732560
buddha be with you
sadu sadu SADUUU
>>
Stop being depressed you faggot.
>>
it sounds to me like you don't have a clearly established period of the day that's for doing art. it might sound insignificant, but having working hours set in your brain can be very helpful, otherwise it's easy to fall into a headspace where you're 'just getting started' until you fall asleep. your energy, attention span & willpower are all finite resources that you have to make the most of. they will naturally peak and fall at certain points throughout the day.
try to design your schedule around them as much as you are able.

one way to optimize you willpower is to simply put yourself into positions where you can only make good decisions. this could mean working at the library or turning off the wifi for a certain number of hours every day, or, depending on you level of self control, issuing yourself rewards on the basis of the hard work you've done that day.
>only fap after you've drawn for six hours
>do x number of studies from a tv show before you can watch the next episode
>do a still life of your desert before you eat it
>do studies or fanart of the vidya you play
set yourself goals with milestones. this is useful because it removes the uncertainty of trying to figure out the most effective thing to do every day, it gives you a clear trajectory for your work and studies and lets you know when you've missed the mark.

get rid of the barriers between yourself and drawing.
too often i see people who have to draw in their special place in their special notebook with their special pen. break that mentality, you can draw anywhere and you should draw anywhere. draw while you cook, draw while you eat, draw while you commute.
pretty much every cellphone, ipod and handheld can run a painting application at this point so there's no excuse not to have the ability to paint anywhere you go. turn art into a natural extension of your day and you'll find yourself doing a whole lot more painting.

/1
>>
>>2732923
workout. this is an obvious one but it's worth reiterating because idiots like myself neglect it and end of miserable as a result. you aren't just some art slug that can languish and produce quality work all day, your body has to do things or else you'll feel like shit and your productivity will be reduced. this is also something that should just become a natural extension of your day.notice your energy or attention span flagging? do a five minute workout r go one a run and you'll regain some productivity.
the other part of this is your diet. eat good food.

as far as studying goes, i find plein air painting solves a lot of problems

>built in time constraints
>an established area of study that's different from the place where you rest/recreate
>limited distractions.

it also gets you out of your cave & moving around for a couple of hours which can be very helpful for regenerating your attention span & not to mention morale.

my schedule:
>do the serious creative work when i have the most energy
>go outside & study for a few hours while the light is good
>come home and move on to rendering where i can be semi distracted and still get things done
>once i'm too mentally tired to make good decisions, doodle/experiment or do a relevant study before going to bed.
/2
>>
>>2732923
>>2732928
thank you so very much and other great people who answered me.
4chan never stops to amaze me. People hate it but yet every time when i need an advice i always find some good people to help me.
Will write bigger post later. (drawing now...after 4 hours of procrastination (yeah...im in the internet-checking it that means im procrastinating again - but im setting WiFi off now)
>>
>>2733266
>(drawing now...after 4 hours of procrastination
yeah...i lied.
I fucked it up again. Was sitting through 9 (NINE) hours of procrastination. Watched youtube, ate shit and played videogames.
And im so tired now. Almost wanted to start to draw but decided to go to the kitchen and make a tea.
Fucking kill me already. What a pathetic situation...
>>
>>2733437
Are you asking us to kill you because youre too lazy to do it yourself?
>>
>>2733496

He's procrastinating.
>>
>>2733437
>Almost wanted to start to draw but decided to go to the kitchen and make a tea.
kek

Make your goal to watch youtube and play videogames. Maybe you'll procrastinate then too and then what happens?
>>
>>2733516
No joke that's happened to me before.

Eventually you go in a giant circle and end up being productive to procrastinate.
>>
honestly all you have to do is remove all distractions from your environment

the problem is that nobody has the strength to get rid of their computer, tv, and dick so that they can focus on drawing
>>
>>2733542
Or just enjoy drawing so you don't see it as a chore and you're perfectly happy to just ignore shit or have it there passively while you draw and paint or whatever.

Removing distractions is something you do to concentrate on shit you hate doing. Art shouldn't be that for you.

If only because it's a shit job to begin with.
>>
>>2733543
i love drawing when i get into the flow of it. i can easily do it for 4-6 hours straight, take a short break for food, and then start another session.

the problem is that i find it very difficult to get started, and for the first 15-30 minutes i'm very prone to distraction. if my distractions weren't around i'm pretty sure i'd draw a lot more, and more often.

i don't think that means it's a chore for me. it's something else. terrible ethic and willpower, probably.
>>
>>2733548
>for the first 15-30 minutes i'm very prone to distraction
Then you should aim for drawing 20 or 30 minutes a day. Best case, you get in the flow and keep at it.
>>
>>2733553
I don't think that guy is the OP.
>>
>>2733556
I wouldn't have not replied if he wasn't. Still applies.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.