[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do chinks learn their fundamentals? Most of them doesn't

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 14

File: puppet_by_zeenchin-da1v7wi.jpg (155KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
puppet_by_zeenchin-da1v7wi.jpg
155KB, 1024x724px
Where do chinks learn their fundamentals? Most of them doesn't speak english, so I figure they don't study anything from our sticky. Is there like asian equivalent of Loomis?
>>
Fundamentals are still taught in school in Asia, because Asia never had a 'modern art' movement. While you were learning about what a genius Picasso was and how revolutionary it is for women to protest the patriarchy with menstrual blood paintings and how to express yourself with macaroni statues, Ruan Jia was learning how to draw and paint.
>>
>>2642071
Is an ancient technique called "translations"
>>
File: 1349040807697.jpg (70KB, 393x381px) Image search: [Google]
1349040807697.jpg
70KB, 393x381px
>>2629092
>>
Chinese youtube probably. They have an entire Vilppu lecture and more, with subs. There's also that one Chinese Bridgman knock off that's actually pretty informative.
>>
they work in Lab mode
>>
>>2642071
They have most of the important books we have translated in their language.
2. They have specialty schools to learn the trade just like we have concept art workshops tailored to hollywood films.
>>
>>2642076
basically this, its unfortunate that we have to grow old enough to think for ourselves to realize that art fundamentals are very important.

On the other hand, our society values individualism and creative expression rather than strict discipline, so we're less likely to kill ourselves. But is it worth it?
>>
File: kA3SmWq.jpg (190KB, 1268x1695px) Image search: [Google]
kA3SmWq.jpg
190KB, 1268x1695px
> Most of them doesn't speak english, so I figure they don't study anything from our sticky.

You think anyone who matters comes to /ic/ to learn?
>>
File: 1431884873716.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1431884873716.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>2642109
Wasn't that north korea, and wasn't even real?
>>
>>2642076
Lucky them, I'd trade our shitty modern art bastardized schools for theirs any day.
>>
>>2642107
yes, but that's besides the point. books from sticky aren't being recommended only here you know.
>>
>>2642106
wanting to be an artist is very looked down upon in asian countries. Contrary to this ridiculous /ic/ myth, there is no such thing as asian kids being encouraged to grind art fundamentals at a young age, because their parents make them grind school material and their freetime is spent on violin or piano lessons.

The Ruanjia's, Feng Shua's and KJG's of this world are the asian kids who grew up WITHOUT strict parenting and discipline. That's literally the only reason why they were able to focus on art and become professional artists.
>>
>>2642101

Exactly. You don't need color theory or "fundamentals" if you know lab mode inside and out, you'l literally paint with light
>>
Lurk weibo
>>
>>2642216
I don't speak moon
>>
>>2642107
>open image to save
>fucking full hd res 1080p full screen
>mfw new desktop background
(duplicate entry)
>>
>>2642101
>>2642164
I just... wut ... WHAT
My mind is blown atm. Its just as much of an A-HA effect now that I had way back when I was a beginner and dicovered the HSB sliders over the RGB. MILES of a difference in control over your colours. Much like now in LAB mode.

The way the colors mix is so much better looking. It almost entirely gets rid of that 'muddy digital look'...

Wow, do you guys know anyone that paints with it a lot and possibly demonstrates it better?
>>
>>2642076

Ugh, don't remind me, I could never stand Picasso's works even as a kid, art teacher would rave about him, and I was a little smart ass and said well hell "Anon-Jimmy-Jr. makes stuff that looks almost exactly like that", she goes ballistic autistic and retorts in almost a snort of shout "it's not the same".

How I wish I was taught the essentials when I was a little maggot. Art teachers had us make some weird stuff outta tin cans, foil and construction paper and more arts and crafts shit than actual traditional art training. Up until highschool, and then, all they did was basically was teach art history in no apparent order of dates, just jumped around and made you remember it and then taught nothing about the art or pieces, just when they were made and by whom.
>>
art schools, courses
>>2642114
Yes. But some anon find it and now will post everytime.
>>
>>2642232

You're welcome.
>>
I had a decent teacher in high school art

She was fairly serious about her shit, literally everything you did had to be approved in order to move on, and 80% of the time what you did was never good enough

The fun part is that she also taught art 1, where all the bums go to get their art credit- people couldn't keep up and they transferred to the other teacher, who was a cookie-cutter tumblr-art-chick barely older than her students
>>
>>2642076
Best post I've seen in a while.
>>
>>2642076
I Hated myself for so long because I didn't know fundamentals until I realised that it wasn't even mentioned to me. I was deluded into thinking all i had to do was keep drawing and I'd get better without any study.

My Art teacher I had in school didn't Teach us anything, Literally nothing. I learned more in a 5 min youtube video than 5 fucking years of highschool, I'm not even exaggerating.

I wish I had a strict Asian Art Teacher back then...
>>
>>2642114
>wasn't even real
what did you mean by that?
>>
>>2642076
this
>>2642106
lol no, quality > ""feelings"" any day
>>
>>2643387
It's shooped
>>
>>2643407

What could possible be the reason to shop a picture of a atelier setting?
>>
>>2643345
Did her name start with a Z
>>
>>2643419
Denial
>>
>>2643419
It's not real. It's series of propaganda photos. NK likes to show their "superiority" to tourists. They always show "Museum of American War crimes" to them
>>
>>2642071
pretty much every god-tier asian (Zhong Fenghua, Wei Feng, Huang Guangjian, Ruan Jia, etc.) has a book they've made detailing every fucking technique they know.

these books are 400-800 pages, and only cost like 15 dollars (excluding the fuck-all shipping)

but they're essentially useless if you can't read moon runes.
>>
>>2643464
Titles?
>>
>>2643464
Ruan certainly hasn't done that. Not sure about the others.
>>
>>2642263
Bbbreakfast colors with LAB mode but she does it with lineart so it doesn't display the depth of LAB. It's easy to work though. Make sure that you work with "LAB sliders" and use "Current Colors" so you can mix your FG color and BG color. Once you do its as if you're mixing real color+light on equal depth as those color mixing plugins you have to buy for photoshop.
>>
File: IETzvFC.jpg (20KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
IETzvFC.jpg
20KB, 500x372px
>I figure they don't study anything from our sticky.

Legitimate question, is there even any example of any artists from /ic/ "getting gud" or "making it" from square one using the sticky?
>>
chinks learn from the same stuff as us
in one of his videos krenz said "if you want to learn perspective read scott robertson"
>>
>>2644166
Are you sure you're not thinking of Feng Zhu? I know he recommended Robertson.
>>
>>2644116
Its more the massive store of books that are the same books others who made it use.
>>
>>2644166
and didn't kron said he studied loomis because he read the interview of a weeb artist which said that's who he studied?
>>
File: 353566.jpg (12KB, 297x284px) Image search: [Google]
353566.jpg
12KB, 297x284px
People forgot they have dank language, they literally already learn to draw since they were born

This explains how they really good at confident strokes
>>
>>2644214
what
calligraphy has nothing to do with drawing
did you even see how normal people write them?
>>
>>2644217
what normal ppl?

give a non-artist westerner a pencil and he will draw shit with shaky lines. give a non-artist easterner a pencil and he will still draw shit, but with confident and straight or curved lines

they have to literally learn thousands of symbols compared to our ~30 , where line quality matters. Just look at the simbol of the one you responded, their thick and thin have to be the same all the time.
>>
>>2644217

>not seeing the connection between penmanship and drawing

Guess what? Not gonna make it
>>
File: DDD0412_s.jpg (574KB, 837x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DDD0412_s.jpg
574KB, 837x1200px
>>2644219
>>2644223
>where line quality matters.
Oh God. Just stop posting, EOP shitters.
>>
>>2644241
>implying memorising and learning thousands of symbols would do absolutely nothing.
You're a fucking retard. Ever heard of something called practice?
>>
>>2644284
>memorising thousands of tiny combinations of penstrokes somehow has noticeable impacts on art ability

lmfao
>>
>>2644219
I studied and can write: English, Russian, Arabic, Japanese, and it did nothing for my artistic ability, stop weebing out.

Kanji may look super complex to a random retard, but the radicals are piss easy, and you can intuitively write confidently after a couple of days, because the strokes follow a strict system. Your "hurr durr confident lines and penmanship" fantasy fits Cyrillic cursive far better.

The only thing related to writing that can have any effect on your ability to draw is large format calligraphy, and I'm pretty sure every script and language has calligraphy. Hell, I had calligraphy in design school, and it still did shit for my drawing.

I bet you're a fucking American who wasn't even taught his own alphabet's cursive in school, so you jerk off to the "superior culture of the mystical east oooooooh".
Fucking Americans, I swear.
>>
>>2644083
>>2642263
>>2642164
>>2642101
>LAB mode
Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying they use the LAB color sliders or the actual LAB MODE?

Because the two are very different things, and I thought LAB mode was basically unusable in production.
>>
File: LAB.jpg (35KB, 454x340px) Image search: [Google]
LAB.jpg
35KB, 454x340px
>>2644339
Pic related, I don't get it.
>>
>>2644335
>I bet you're a fucking American who wasn't even taught his own alphabet's cursive in school
Different anon; Latin alphabet cursive is shit. It barely teaches about line quality or the "shape" of lines. People just like it because it has the sense of being old fashioned since it's usually grandmas who write like that. Either that or hipsters who have a hard-on for France and England. Italic hand should have been taught more in schools than any of the variations of that loopy illegible cursive mess.
>>
>>2644116
No, because anyone getting good would have gone far more beyond it. It serves its purpose for deterring noob threads by people who really have no indication of hope and could not be taught through the message board system because they lack so much in necessary knowledge. The list of recommendations is largely inefficient, but good enough to make someone pass noob level.
>>
>>2644346

It's a meme. I mean, there could be some people who find it useful to use LAB sliders but it's hardly the "secret" behind succesful chinese painters. Seriously people are taking the piss here.
>>
>>2644339
LAB colorspace is device-independent, it covers the entire spectrum of visible light (and some imaginary colors). It's great for adjusting colors, but you can end up outside printable/sRGB gamuts and converting to more limited colorspaces is aids.

The main attraction of working with LAB sliders is the unified lightness slider that goes from black to color to white, as opposed to HSV where it's split from black to color and color to white, but I would imagine most people using lab color picker are using the coolorus gamut lock feature.
>>
>>2644420

What the fuck are imaginary colors?
>>
>>2644424
Stuff that works on paper but doesn't make any sense in reality. Happens a lot in mathematics.
>>
>>2644429

So you're saying there are colors in LAB that you can't see? Like... Why?
>>
>>2644433
It gives you more information to work with when you are using adjustment layers and blend modes
>>
>>2644448

I don't understand how theoretical colors you can't see on screen can give you more to work with.
>>
Asian people work hard. Thats why they are good. Look at lazy people like saudis and indians, they dont produce good artists. I know there are exceptions, im just speaking n general.
>>
>>2642071
> Most of them doesn't speak english, so I figure they don't study anything from our sticky

they actually learn from sticky resources plus more, a lot of them are translated into chinese, just go to chinese video sites like youku and toudou and you can see english vids with chinese subtitles. you can also go to chinese forums to see stuff like loomis hogarth etc book in chinese.
>>
>>2644433
If the visible light was represented by a circle, you define 2 axes by it's extremes. These axes form a rectangle which covers the entirety of of the what we see, however you can pick coordinates in the system that are outside the circle.
>>
>>2644464

But that can't have any use in digital painting if it doesn't translate into pixels on screen, can it?
>>
You don't have to read shit to get good if you are passionate and interested enough.
>>
>>2644484
kek, please post again tomorrow to satisfy my daily laugh.
>>
>>2644467
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space#Range_of_coordinates
The models described here are the actual shapes of the 3d representation of LAB. There are marginal differences between the LAB shapes and the visible spectrum of light but they're minute enough that it isn't really a concern.
>>
>>2644453
They are not theoretical in nontangible way. It's more like they are mathematical. Each color mode has range in which it operates and each color has numerical value. You can't see the numbers but photoshop can (since it is just big ass number cruncher with visual output) and it can uses the subtle differences in those numbers.

For painters practically speaking LAB is usefull because it blends differently. It's up to you if you like how it blends or not I guess.
>>
>>2644433
They're trying to appeal to mantis shrimps.
>>
>>2644552
One of my favorite sci-fi concepts is being able to visually perceive a huge range of the electromagnetic spectrum. If your range was wide enough you'd be able to see chords and paint with harmonies and chord progressions, not to mention polarity.

Future painters could have all sorts of incomprehensibly cool shit to play with.
>>
File: asdsad.jpg (177KB, 404x606px) Image search: [Google]
asdsad.jpg
177KB, 404x606px
>>2644586
There are people with a mutation that causes their eyes to have a 4th cone cell.

Why wait for the future? Just hunt one down, kill them and eat their heart to gain their power.
>>
>>2642076
I fucking hate Picasso
>>
File: chinawomendiesescalator.jpg (22KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
chinawomendiesescalator.jpg
22KB, 640x360px
>>2643403
>Chinese """quality"""

In all seriousness you have to understand that their culture is very different. Its far more collectivist. If you thought your family won't approve of your artistic pursuit try having a non-western family.
Plus a slacker like you wouldn't survive.
>>
File: randomcaligraphy.jpg (58KB, 570x429px) Image search: [Google]
randomcaligraphy.jpg
58KB, 570x429px
>>2644214
What, have you seen Arab calligraphy then?

Its equally as impressive as Asian calligraphy but I know for a fact that if you gave the average non-artist even a pencil he would still make shit lines if you asked him to draw.
Its important to note that as a child in an Arab country you stop using pencils at the primary school level and you get penalized for bad penmanship up until secondary school.

Penmanship is ingrained but I can promise you that the average skill in the west is no different than the average skill there. Penmenship =/= Fundamental Art Skills
>>
>>2642076
>le anti-modern circlejerk
Artistic modernism didn't impose its will to academia through totalitarianism or something. If education is bad, it's because of bad programs and/or bad teachers.
>>
File: wat.png (92KB, 916x595px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
92KB, 916x595px
i don't get it
>>
>>2645995
You don't see the difference?
>>
>>2646393
i do
but honestly neither makes any sense to me
where are my greens
>>
>>2645888

Actually modernism attempted to wipe out the lineage of traditional teachings. Some traditional turned modernist art schools destroyed sculptures, plaster casts and paintings full ISIS style. You're completely ignorant of art history.
>>
>>2642071
How come there's differences in art by ethnicity too? The Chinese, Japanese, and Korean all seem to have this unique touch to their art that really shows. Is that intentional or ingrained within those asians?
>>
>>2646691
They have different sets of influences. While they have heard of and copied people like Mullins or Jaime, mostly they look up to other Chinese artists. Many of the big name guys like Ruan Jia or HGJ do streams of their process or teach courses. They also have entirely different gallery sites and almost a separate internet in some ways from us. The artwork they view and the forums they post on are all entirely Asian so it makes sense that it would develop in its own direction a bit. The art schools and high schools also teach art in a specific manner that engrains certain tastes and approaches into their students.
>>
I was wondering about this myself. Usually when I see an artist that has fluid figures, nice anatomy, and good coloring in their art, I automatically think "They gotta be Asian" and I am usually right.
>>
>>2646574
No, it attempted to do its own thing. I've literally never heard about that and if it ever happened it was likely a very small minority that was blown out of proportion in the biased sources you got that from.
>>
>>2644214
When my heart is better at strokes than my hand. feelsbadman
>>
>>2646897
There's nothing minor about state-sponsored universities prompting students to follow in the modernist footsteps.

In most college textbooks on art history like Gardner's Art Through the Ages, 19th century academic painters weren't discussed until in the later editions. Until almost a century.

Professors who taught drawing and painting were consistently replaced with modernist.

Modernism and its descendants could not have thrived as it did without large-scale intervention to misinform the public opinion.
>>
Because asians dont go around asking the world to give them special treatment like black people and sand niggas. All the black lives matter jihab bs. They just work hard.
>>
>>2646923
/ic/ would argue they work too hard.
>>
>>2646924
>worker drones that life exclusively for their jobs
sounds like fun
>>
>>2644400
>sliders
It's not about the sliders, bruh
>>
>>2646922
So now modernist art is a conspiracy to lower standards and misinform the public? It's not just that a new art movement caught the art world's attention with all its possibilities and implications, and so people just forgot about traditional art for a while? Like you've got lots of artists experimenting with all sorts of interesting concepts, but hold up here's this dude who's slightly incrementing on the knowledge of traditional art, let's all pay attention to him!
I'm not saying that traditional art isn't important or has less value that modernist art, but surely you can see why people were infatuated with the movement?
>>
>>2647060

I think the modern art movement in many ways were similar to feminism and progressive social justice. It wanted to break free from the old, limiting ways and rewrite the rules so to speak. It was ultimately a important step in the right direction but now the pendulum is starting to swing back. Feminism and related social justice movements have become extreme and dogmatic and many people are turning to more conservative values again. Same with modern art. Realist painting is making a return in fine art and realist art training is increasingly more sought after.
>>
>>2647060
That's somewhat different from what I'm saying. To say that modernist art in itself is a conspiracy to lower standards is different than to say modernist art was as successful as it was because of deliberate misinformation in the form of damnatio memoriae. (Though you may not know I'm a different anon to >>2646574) You expressed disbelief that modern art's success and popularity was inorganic, and I gave examples for why that isn't true. People didn't just forget about traditional art. The drive for it was always there, only suppressed because it wasn't the fad of the new academics. Most who have experienced government-funded art classes knows that interest in learning to draw and paint is either inefficiently aided or little praised compared to experimenting without clear purpose. Academic art is also derided without giving much examples if any. Only the rebellion of the Impressionist is mentioned without giving voice to the opposition. These are not as extreme as the other anon's example and I'm not myself sure how pervasive it was, but all over the west, there really has been distaste towards traditional ways by the academics, which is just as effective. It's bad in our time, and was worse in some way.

I'm not suggesting of a reason why, or that there would not be some who would have gone the modernist path in any case. Only that there was definitely some rigging involved for it to have become as popular as it did. You've never heard of it because there's no reason why the victors should talk about their dishonest exploits or even look at themselves in the moral mirror.
>>
you people are so pretentious lmao
they really say the less you know about something the more you think you know

keep blaming everything but yourselves for how shitty you are, you'll get nowhere
>>
>>2644586
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Harbisson

tl;dr:

>Fag's got a cyber eye implanted that can see sounds. He can see Hitler's speech and translate it to painting.
>>
>>2646563
Green is a primary color on digital painting, don't be retarded. You'll never get it mixing two colors.

CMY is for traditional (pigments).
RGB is for digital (light).
>>
File: adgfaghhrakjskajsakjs.jpg (11KB, 317x265px) Image search: [Google]
adgfaghhrakjskajsakjs.jpg
11KB, 317x265px
>>2646563
>>2645995
>>2642101

Do you all know what this shit could be useful for?

Motherfucking pixel art.
>>
>>2647175
you do get primary colours by mixing secondarys, they are just less saturated
>>
>>2647202
>they are just less saturated

Then they are no longer primary colours.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.