[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 104

File: muh loomis.png (676KB, 849x539px) Image search: [Google]
muh loomis.png
676KB, 849x539px
[BEFORE YOU ASK "WHERE DO I START GUYS LMAO?" READ THE STICKY]

Squidward Edition

Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make your mom proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, There is a question thread for that.

Visit the usual "Art book Thread" to find your desired books.

Do not forget to PLEASE RESIZE and crop your images before uploading them. 1kpx is fine.

→ →
There's a new sticky in town! You can see it at https://www.reddit.com/comments/46sb9k/

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

Old thread: >>2492154
>>
File: 1456719182313.jpg (320KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1456719182313.jpg
320KB, 680x1024px
>>
File: 1456285021598.jpg (2MB, 2336x3504px) Image search: [Google]
1456285021598.jpg
2MB, 2336x3504px
>>
File: 1457578656865.jpg (109KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1457578656865.jpg
109KB, 1024x682px
>>
File: 1459910444106.jpg (3MB, 3000x1976px) Image search: [Google]
1459910444106.jpg
3MB, 3000x1976px
>>
File: handshandshands.jpg (112KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
handshandshands.jpg
112KB, 900x1600px
following the teachings of dodson-sensei
>>
>>2498354
looks more like Dobson-sensei

heyoooo
>>
File: Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg (1MB, 1271x7339px) Image search: [Google]
Beginner Eyes vs Brains.jpg
1MB, 1271x7339px
>>2498338
I disagree with this image. It's noob bait. Facebook tier.
>>
>>2498366
hey maybe you should follow your own tutorials so your women dont look like sullen potatoes :)
>>
>>2498305
>There's a new sticky in town! You can see it at https://www.reddit.com/comments/46sb9k/

I just glanced over this and a few things come to mind:

SmithMicro stopped calling it Manga Studio, it's referred to as Clip Studio Paint on (most) of their website. Celsys writes the Clip Studio Paint software and they've had an English version for years. This might confuse some people. Both companies often have it on sale for $15.

For traditional tools, Fine/Medium Sharpie Pens (different from their permanent markers) are equivalent in size to 0.3mm/0.5mm Staedtler Pigment liners respectively. The ink isn't as dark or pigmented, but they're still waterproof, a lot easier to find, and a third of the price.

Scott Robertson has a lot of great YouTube videos and videos to go along with his book.

I'm currently working through drawabox, and have many pages of boring geometric primitives that aren't worth posting.
>>
>>2498371
this version of the sticky is super outdated

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VfDTpLLVl5bWUGWguswKpPFml533luI8-NBd1EGYHnA/edit#

is what you should be looking at.

Can't believe that link is still there wtf.
>>
I'm not sure if I'm just getting ahead of myself in learning but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of form, I can draw rectangles and spheres just fine but then when I try to draw something organic it ends up wonky. As of right now I cannot comprehend the shape of a pelvis (or most complicated bones for that matter).
Should I just keep working on basic forms? At what point do I move forward?
>>
>>2498377
Well my post still applies. Both links need a lot of editing and I doubt I'll try to take that on any time soon.

>>2498381
Can you draw those organic forms inside of the geometric forms?
>>
>>2498383
Probably not, but I'm willing to try. Is there any particular way I need to approach this mentally to make it easier for me to comprehend? Or is it one of those things that just kinda "clicks" after doing it for a long time?
>>
>>2498371
Sorry. I just started making the beg threads when I couldn't wait for unix so I could get critique faster. I'll fix it in 300 posts.
>>
File: cacti-08.jpg (32KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
cacti-08.jpg
32KB, 460x276px
>>2498396
I'm still learning this myself so I'm hesitant to prescribe advice. Organic shapes can be broken down into simpler forms, and if you really know how to draw those simpler forms you can draw the organic stuff inside or on top of them.

You can break this cactus into cylinders and balls. Once you can place those objects however you want in perspective, you have enough of a scaffolding to draw the rest of the cactus. Simplifying the human figure is its own can of worms I'm not competent enough to tackle (yet), but I've seen people simplify the pelvis as a box and then just draw the rest in from there.
>>
>>2498452
Alright, I'll start working on this, thank you
>>
Does anyone have any decent tutorials on accurately drawing hands? They're such a pain in the ass
>>
>>2498470
Loomis and Hogarth both cover this.
>>
File: IMG_1507.jpg (992KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1507.jpg
992KB, 2592x1944px
So i just got the pdf of fun with a pencil a few minutes ago.

just drew my first funny faces.

Is there hope for me?
>>
>>2498492
resize
>>
>>2498493
too large? ok, ill make sure the photo is smaller next time. dont got a scanner.
>>
>>2498496
>dont got a scanner
I find that photographing drawings is best done outside or in a room with a lot of sunlight. Then pop it in ms paint and resize it.
>>
>>2498498
alright, ill keep that in mind. For now, ill continue learning from MASTER LOOMIS and leave you folks be.

Thanks!
>>
>>2498492
>Is there hope for me?
No one can answer that for you, but so far you're doing OK. Don't draw on lined paper.
>>
>>2498503
Loomis explains ideas well but is certainly not the only one you should be learning from. And don't be like that, feel free to ask questions if you're a beginner. It's daunting sometimes.
>>
>>2498492
Yes. He is trying to teach about form
And you seem to get it
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (426KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
426KB, 1000x1000px
>>2498305
I tried to be cool and do a pushup challenge despite being a weak faggot and my arm still hurts.

Oh, and I suck at drawing, too. Anyway, here's a thing.
>>
>>2498586
sticky/drawabox
>>
File: Boxes and other things.png (126KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Boxes and other things.png
126KB, 1000x1000px
>>2498591
Box, as requested.
>>
>>2498594
He meant the website drawabox.com. What you did is almost the exact opposite of what that site teaches, which is learning to make smooth, correct lines with a pen and building complex forms from simple objects.
>>
>>2498594
Clearly right handed, drawing primarily by moving the finger instead of the arm, putting too much weight on hand making it an anchor point on which you lines revolve around and gets skewed.

The lack of freedom by not drawing with the arm is so obvious. Before the drawabox tutorials maybe you should check out Peter Hans line exercises.
>>
>>2498598
Ooh, gotcha.

>>2498599
Yus, right handed. I'll check out Peter Hans. I can use my arm a bit better on paper than the tablet, though it's just because I draw larger and not more accurately.
>>
>>2498599
Out of curiosity, what gives away my right handedness?

That's pretty cool how you can tell just from looking at it, even though I guess that's a bad thing for me.
>>
>>2498600
The first few drawabox lessons are basically Peter Han's exercises. You also incorrect that you aren't drawing more accurately when you draw larger

>>2498601
The way your chicken scratch is biased and the angle of your ellipses. Not him, though.
>>
>You also incorrect that you aren't drawing more accurately when you draw larger

Forgot to finish that sentence:

You are also incorrect that you aren't drawing more accurately when you draw larger. Your lines might be smaller, but they're smoother and you have a larger bulls-eye to hit the right line. I don't know what type of tablet you have, but I'm guessing it's smaller than a sheet of paper. Drawing on paper with a pen makes learning this stuff a lot easier.
>>
>>2498605
I don't know the exact dimensions of it, but it's an older Wacom Bamboo. CTL-460 is the model number. I don't remember when I got it, but it's been sitting around for at least three years.
>>
>>2498605
>Your lines might be smaller

Meant larger. A large line is easier to hit when you're using your whole arm. OK I'm going to bed now.
>>
File: example.png (16KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
16KB, 800x600px
This is kind of a dumb question
I don't have a tablet at the moment, but want to make some doodles
What programs are capable of doing line (curve?) - smoothing. Can you enable it in PS somehow?
>>
>>2498611
Photoshop is one of the few programs that can't. I use Clip Studio Paint and Gimp, but off the top of my head: Krita, Mypaint, Paint Tool Sai, Sketchbook Pro, and the LazyNezumi program which works with PS and similar.

But you're better off just drawing traditionally and scanning or photographing it. Even just using a smartphone's camera to photograph something you've done is better than trying to use a mouse and gimmicks. I've been there.
>>
File: Shoot_the_umaru.png (382KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shoot_the_umaru.png
382KB, 1920x1080px
So I'm testing out paint tool sai and I cant seem to get a good line art tool without it looking like trash.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_105919.jpg (246KB, 1000x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_105919.jpg
246KB, 1000x629px
I feel like I need to do 100 pages of this before doing anything else. I'm sweating how bad I am I at this first exercise.
>>
>>2498611

Photoshop doesn't have it, but you can download a program called Lazy Nezumi that adds it.
>>
File: Organic perspective 2 resized.jpg (525KB, 1277x1941px) Image search: [Google]
Organic perspective 2 resized.jpg
525KB, 1277x1941px
Drawing boxes, about to start the 250 bawks challenge, but I've been getting some boxes very wrong (circled) and can't tell why. I feel like I'm following the rules of parallel lines converging at the same vanishing point but the proportions still look skewed. Is there an easy way to avoid this or do I grind boxes until it goes away?
>>
>>2498794
Practice drawing with your whole arm while you're at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84
>>
>>2498816
They're converging in the wrong direction dumbass.
>>
drawing is hard
>>
>>2498816
Noob here also starting the challange tomorrow.
But maybe I can help. The point of organic boxes is to draw them within their boundries/rules (that is perspective) but without a solid VP. Or better yet thousands of different VP's and horizons.
What I'm trying to say is re-read the one-point boxes lesson. Apply same method to organic but you can put the VP and horizon wherever you want for each box.
Basically imagine a VP and draw the box by the VP's rules.
Also protip: all these lessons are a shorter version of "Perspective made easy". Go find it in the book thread and read up the first bits.
You'll find the in-between steps and reasonings why your doing the specific lessons from box.
UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DRAWING DON'T JUST MINDLESSLY DRAW PAGE AFTER PAGE!

(also in your specific box situation the VP's for these that you inagined are too close. You have an explenation on that in the book. I just rememer there's a picture of a bedroom with 2 beds and a pic of a table that explains that distortion).
>>
File: gestures.png (1013KB, 1317x908px) Image search: [Google]
gestures.png
1013KB, 1317x908px
gestures I did today
I'm using less lines which is good
>>
>>2498794
Because you're not even reading it properly, you're meant to draw through the ellipses 2-3 times before you remove your pen from the paper.

You didn't even use a ruler for the guides.
>>
>>2498928
too much extraneous detail.

try to capture each limb with one line where possible (it is almost always possible)

looks too anime in porportions (maybe smaller heads are needed)

breasts are not central to gesture 90% of the time.

if the hands can be part of the same line as the arm then all the better.

simplify more -- try doing 30 second poses or 1 minute but not more.
>>
File: tumblr_o65h18GW3S1r5srq1o1_1280.jpg (246KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o65h18GW3S1r5srq1o1_1280.jpg
246KB, 1280x960px
>>2498305

I'm really enjoying Draw a Box. It's given me that lesson/lecture structure that I've needed, and it's a lot more accessible to me than the books that get linked around, as good as they are I just can't read through them.

Pic related, first attempt at the organic perspective boxes. Been doing a few hours a day after work for a week but I think I'll move on to Lesson 2, and go back to perspective for 30 minutes every few days as revision.
>>
>>2498943
>head too big
I actually had the opposite issues before
pic related were just the ones I did after warmups/pre practice
>>
>>2498962
Did you freehand those boxes or draw them with a straight edge?
>>
>>2498988

Free hand.
>>
>>2498990
Nice, they're good.
>>
>>2498992
Cheers, I'm still a bit prone to overshooting/ bowed lines/and some weird planes but I expected to get much worse results.
>>
Anyone able to help me out with facial construction? It's pretty off, but I can't look at it and highlight the faults myself - at least, I'm struggling to do that.

Any help?

Also the ref was the OP of the last thread.
>>
File: Elf Child.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Child.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
Here's one of my first attempts at doing faces. Only had a #2 pencil, so the shading is shit.
>>
>>2499014
I'm no expert myself, but I'd say that the lips and eyes would be complimented by softer lines. If you look at a photo of someone's lips, you'll notice that there's no shadow outline, rather, that only exists on the middle, whereas the "outline" of the bottom and top lip is primarily vague and made by a difference in colour.
>>
>>2499027
this was mainly a problem with my camera. i needed to darken it up to a take a better picture. the lips didnt even show up.
>>
>>2498962
Where are the rules for this box challenge?
>>
>>2499053
http://drawabox.com/lesson/1

Start with lines, end up with boxes.

http://drawabox.com/lesson/250boxes

The 250 box challenge comes after if you haven't had enough boxes by then.
>>
>>2499059
Thank you very much
>>
>>2498941
i missed the ellipses thing, but throughout the video peter han says don't use a ruler. he doesn't use one or mention it when he's doing an example of the homework. are you sure i'm supposed to use one?
>>
>>2499066
Ah, thought you were using draw a box like >>2498962. Having the "path" for the ellipses straight just eliminates error.
>>
>>2499059
I'm definitely going to do that 250 box challenge after Lesson 2, it sounds dumb but so did drawing over my own lines so it must actually end up useful.
>>
>>2499014
symbol drawing
>>
File: Hippie.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hippie.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>
i think the hair neexs to chill. there's too damn much of it and you're not very good at it. also, the nose looks like trash. this isnt gery good desu. i'm no expert, myself, but i'd say you could use a lot of work.
>>
>>2499092
>>
>>2499092
From the thumbnail I thought it was the back of someone's legs, shitting out a large bunny
>>
>>2498981
your point being?

You focus too much on contours, that's not gesture. Anime proportions and stop drawing extraneous detail like tits. Chicken scratch badly, few confident lines.
>>
>>2499092
duuudee weeed lmaaooo
>>
>>2498794
>>2499066
Peter Han doesn't do a very good job explaining a lot of things. For example, when he says to "true up" ellipses he's really saying to draw through the whole thing 2-3 times. I'm guessing you're just working through the exercises in the first week video of his course that's on Youtube. He says not to use a ruler, but the drawabox approach to lay down one correct line to guide you is a far better idea. For those ellipses, ghost the lines before you put them on the page and slow down.

>>2498962
>>2498997
I'm working through the exact same thing. For me, I noticed massive improvements when I started ghosting a line that was larger than the points I was trying to hit, focusing entirely on making a straight line that goes through the two points. Trying to accelerate and slow down the pen to hit those points works against making one smooth line. When the line I'm ghosting goes through the points I put my eyes on the start point, put the pen down, and immediately put my eye on the second point and focus on hitting it. The straight, correct line is still fresh in my muscles and I just focus on trimming it down.

That's not quite what drawabox prescribes, but that works a lot better for me.
>>
>>2499176
I don't think Han's method is the best way to do things.
I think it's a much better idea to create proper circles, elipses and lines using tools and then tracing them.

That way instead of committing wonky shapes to muscle memory, you're committing true shapes to muscle memory.
>>
>>2499180
I'd agree with you only for straight lines. There's a big difference between trying to feel out a proper ellipse that hits the points you want to make and tracing one you've already laid down. I don't think trying to trace out every degree and size of ellipse will help you more than constructing your own on the fly and checking how accurate they are afterwards.

That's just speculation and intuition, though. I don't have a set of ellipse guides and I doubt most people working through those exercises do either. I'm guessing the closest most people could get would be printing off some kind of worksheet and tracing over it, but I'm getting along OK using the Han/Drawabox approach.
>>
File: 647345.png (532KB, 597x505px) Image search: [Google]
647345.png
532KB, 597x505px
If I wanted to get into tattooing what's the best thing to learn? Obviously fundamentals (which I'm doing anyway) but more specifically for traditional tattoos which have that certain style?
>>
>>2499193
I have no idea and I rarely see people posting on /ic/ that actually tattoo themselves. This really isn't the thread to ask. Also, the image you posted is just awful from a pure drawing point of view. I really hope that's not what you're trying to replicate.
>>
>>2498492
you will make it.
>>
File: Study63.png (370KB, 825x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Study63.png
370KB, 825x1350px
>>2498308

hampton-sama arigatou

I'm getting happier with how these are turning out.
>>
>>2499223
You seem confused as to where the head should be pointing
>>
>>2499200
I know, the majority that I see aren't that great. It's like a bunch of people I know getting apprenticeships when they're drawing skills are absolute shit. It's what's made me think of trying to get into it as I know I could do a better job than them especially if I try and improve. If they can get into it and do fairly well then I certainly shouldn't have a problem.
>>
File: hero man holds a 9.png (1KB, 68x150px) Image search: [Google]
hero man holds a 9.png
1KB, 68x150px
>>2498722
Binary pen is able to work wonders if you don't mind looking a bit ms painty

People like Gastrictank, Oolongearlgrey, and the many anons on /v/ and their ilk all make great stuff with the tool.

I... try my best
>>
File: IMG_20160424_183733~2.jpg (666KB, 2430x1858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_183733~2.jpg
666KB, 2430x1858px
soz about phone picture. first thing ive painted and actually liked.
>>
>>2499340
faintly reminds me of an anime movie for some reason

resize
>>
>>2499223

I really like this. I like that you constructed the anatomy rather than just copying the contour.

The torso twist is off. The nose also seems a bit off. The dark hatching on the bottom seems awkward. But I like the lighter shading.
>>
File: Uffizi,_torso_gaddi_01.jpg (485KB, 1416x1926px) Image search: [Google]
Uffizi,_torso_gaddi_01.jpg
485KB, 1416x1926px
>>2498305
Does anyone know any good books on how to draw the torso and shoulders?
I've been struggling at making them look proper for a long time.
>>
File: 1456998263565.jpg (21KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1456998263565.jpg
21KB, 640x426px
What are the different ways one can construct a head?

I've seen some like loomis and then others which seem more geometric, others more circular etc.

Can you guys post some names?
>>
File: rps20160424_233732.jpg (201KB, 773x1280px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160424_233732.jpg
201KB, 773x1280px
>>2498308
My attempt. Faults I can see is loomis2hard4me and she is somehow much thinner in my drawing when she's already a walking skeleton. The fingers of her hand are also too big
I tried incorporating the little knowledge I have of loomis and gesture drawing to get this pose
Is there a site for exercises into loomis and more detailed explanation than in his books? I'm at a loss whenever I read 'Drawing the head and hands'
>>
File: gesture-progress.png (297KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
gesture-progress.png
297KB, 400x356px
Time slows down when I do this now.
>>
File: rps20160425_005457.jpg (215KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160425_005457.jpg
215KB, 720x1280px
>>2499501
It's a me again. This time I took a cracking at this >>2498315
I dunno about this. It's a much better attempt at faces but I feel like my perspective of where the features sit is off...
I'm kinda lost as to what exercises I should focus on to get a better hang of this. I'm thinking of studying perspective in general since I suck at it
Also I can't into hair at all
>>
>>2499546
You have a sense of construction which is a base yet something you should still keep refining. But you are still symbol drawing. Just keep drawing and you'll break the habit.

>>2499531
There you go!
>>
File: 25687896.png (300KB, 798x437px) Image search: [Google]
25687896.png
300KB, 798x437px
>Be bored
>Decide to draw a self portrait
>Get a reminder of the fact that I can't draw
>And that I'm ugly
>>
>>2499550
ok keep practicing
>>
>>2499549
Alright, how do I refine my construction? Does that also come with constant drawing like breaking the symbol drawing habit?
I've decided to read into loomis again while trying to understand it and do my own thing at the same time. I feel like the more I introspect the method rather than following blindly, the better I start to understand how faces work
>>
>>2499555
don't do anything with construction, you're still symbol drawing which is the first thing to tackle when a beginner starts drawing. Go through keys to drawing or drawing on the right side of the brain, doesn't matter which but people prefer KtD. After those books then you can worry about loomis and "tackling your construction"
>>
>>2499565
I mean to say he should have construction in the back of his mind while he breaks symbol drawing.
>>
>>2499565
>>2499569
Alrighty. I found Keys to Drawing way too dry so I'll give Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain a try
>>
>>2499340
looks like a watercolor rendition of a wikihow image

not bad tho
>>
File: sai_2016-04-25_02-23-25.png (275KB, 712x812px) Image search: [Google]
sai_2016-04-25_02-23-25.png
275KB, 712x812px
>>2499590
maybe something like this?
>>
>>2499610
>>2499590
fucking rascal.
>>
>>2499392
I kind of get that. Also, didn't realize the size when uploading. No idea how to resize on my phone.

>>2499580
Oh man it does. I don't know how to feel about this.
>>
File: figure practice 2.png (2MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
figure practice 2.png
2MB, 2480x3508px
First attempt, please criticise. Thanks!
>>
>>2499574
Nice rhyme
>>
File: rsz_img_20160425_020555.jpg (89KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160425_020555.jpg
89KB, 612x816px
I /think/ most of the body is alright, but i'm still working on face construction.
>>
>>2499699
That's some serious chickenscratch
>>
>>2499715
sure is
I'll try to be cleaner next time
>>
File: gnome chronicler.png (1MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
gnome chronicler.png
1MB, 2480x3508px
This will be a gift to someone, inked and painted, so I'd like it to not suck.

Currently have problem with the hands, no time to really learn a ton about it, would appreciate some valid refference.

As well as any other advice on the piece. Of any kind, really.
>>
>>2499734
Put yourself in the same pose, take a picture
use it as reference
>>
>>2499734
>valid refference.
Do you not have a book and mirror handy?
>>
What's the best way to learn construction, form and shapes? Is it Scott Robertson and his books/videos? I know there's drawabox but it seems like a watered down version of the dynamic sketching class and of Robertson's method.
>>
>>2499748

Fat hands and no strong lamps to show forms well.

I know you're trying to be smart, but if you ever actually try to draw something you'll realize the value of a reference illustration with every plane readable and mapped out for you. There's a reason they put them into books.

>Loomis: okay, so, take a mirror and draw urself lel, the end

You know what, I'll go look for a folder with this stuff on an old hdd, sorry I even asked.
>>
>>2499092
is that sassy
>>
>>2499759
Never gonna make it
>>
File: 588527s.png (122KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
588527s.png
122KB, 500x583px
>>
File: 588527s5.png (266KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
588527s5.png
266KB, 500x583px
>>2499934
>>
File: IMG_20160425_114736.jpg (270KB, 740x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_114736.jpg
270KB, 740x1000px
>>2499180
am i just wasting my time with this shit?
>>
File: exercises.jpg (127KB, 1024x1073px) Image search: [Google]
exercises.jpg
127KB, 1024x1073px
Deactivated facebook, cancelled Netflix; time to live the dream ic
>>
>>2499934
>>2499936
Some construction errors. The nose for instance is not centered well and is missing some forms like the nostril wing on the right. Eyes feel misaligned because the iris on the eye on the right is misdrawn.

The colours and values are also pretty muddy. I suspect you are overstating subtle shifts in colour and value. Things are probably flatter and have smaller shifts in temperature that are fooling you. Post the ref for more specific feedback though.
>>
>>2499936

The bland, dead skin makes them look like a cancer patient even if you completely forego the lack of hair. If you were going for that then you succeeded
>>
File: baby.jpg (12KB, 252x300px) Image search: [Google]
baby.jpg
12KB, 252x300px
>>2500009
Have a baby_meme. Make this worth your time anon.
>>
>>2499928

post ur werk and say that to my face irl scrub
>>
i just want to draw cute furfag stuff
>>
>>2499934

What method did you use to construct that head?
>>
Photoshop question - I'm using the eyedropper tool to blend, but it picks up the wrong colour. The colour is literally drawn a shade darker than the one it picked up from. I'm sampling a single point and tried different layers too - anyone tried this?
>>
File: upsidedown.png (518KB, 567x822px) Image search: [Google]
upsidedown.png
518KB, 567x822px
>>
File: animalstudy1.png (354KB, 485x637px) Image search: [Google]
animalstudy1.png
354KB, 485x637px
goat I drew for fun
>>
File: PhotoLab_20160425_161949.jpg (165KB, 533x533px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoLab_20160425_161949.jpg
165KB, 533x533px
Just having some fun
>>
>>2500248
Try adding some dark to the hill/mountain in the front
>>
File: rsz_img_20160424_175945~2.jpg (75KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20160424_175945~2.jpg
75KB, 612x816px
a wip except I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing
>>
>>2500286
he got a lot of shit on his mind huh
>>
I fucking suck guys I try to find my style buy I just fucking suck
>>
File: 20160425_173252.jpg (564KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160425_173252.jpg
564KB, 2048x1152px
>>2500424
Forgot pic
>>
>>2500424
>>2500428

>find my style

it's 2016 and people still fall for the meme

if you're a beginner, focus on the fundamentals and your style develops on your own

also read the sticky
>>
File: IMG_2269.jpg (134KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2269.jpg
134KB, 750x1000px
Quick heads done 3-4 mins each. Glaring issues? Symbol drawing?
>>
File: IMG_20160425_165050.jpg (151KB, 1000x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_165050.jpg
151KB, 1000x675px
>>2500559
That's amazing. Here's what I can do in 5-10 minutes
>>
>>2500567
>>2500559
>>2500428
Looking at these is honestly comforting.
It reminds me of how all my hard work has payed off. And that I will never again produce such terrible half-assed shit.
>>
>>2500614
I will keep practicing!
>>
File: IMG_20160420_061011.jpg (117KB, 740x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_061011.jpg
117KB, 740x1000px
>>2500614
I only started trying to draw a week ago. I've never tried seriously before. I have loads of time to practice, so I'll probably be getting decent within 3 years. 10 years tops.
>>
>>2500614
asssssssssss whooooooooole
>>
File: sci1.png (188KB, 532x815px) Image search: [Google]
sci1.png
188KB, 532x815px
Just a doodle; I can't seem to finish anything I start :P
>>
>>2500659
it looks like she has six fingers on the one hand
>>
>>2500678
Woops, you're right Thanks. I'm pretty shit at hands, should probably practice a lot more.
>>
>>2500614
Cold as ice son
>>
File: huwt6u.png (13KB, 234x301px) Image search: [Google]
huwt6u.png
13KB, 234x301px
rate

and yes i know i have no idea how to draw facial features
>>
>>2500690
>>
Sorry for such a lame question, but should I go with Loomis or Drawabox? Maybe one after the other?
>>
File: head-on.jpg (73KB, 1250x683px) Image search: [Google]
head-on.jpg
73KB, 1250x683px
>>2500690
Read the sticky and do Loomis, it's not just a meme. Start traditional and doodle on everything. Napkins, post-its, whatever. And avoid symbol drawing.
>>
>>2500659
What's /ic/'s opinion on this lineless "style," if it can be called that?
>>
File: IMG_20160426_004156.jpg (331KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_004156.jpg
331KB, 1000x637px
am I doing these right?
>>
>>2500696
actually this was the first ever time drawing with a mouse because i wanted to see how it would be like otherwise i have a sketchbook and a mechanical pencil. I just erased all the lines that I used with Loomis' cut ball method

so thanks for confirming loomis/sticky is just a meme.
>>
>>2500704
>drawing with a mouse
> just erased all the lines that I used with Loomis' cut ball method

Stick to paper, friend.
>>
>>2500704
>Loomis' cut ball method

Bitch I aint seein no 3D shapes. You must've skipped the parts of Loomis that actually matter.
>>
>>2500680
No worries. I like it and you'll have some nice work with some more practice
>>
File: 1437328413104.gif (619KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1437328413104.gif
619KB, 500x280px
>>2500725
S-senpai likes my artwork?! I've never been so happy in my life! Thanks!!
>>
>>2500715
Maybe you're the one who needs Loomis then
>>
>>2500690
Good job keep it up :D
>>
>>2500715
for the love of god stop feeding the troll

you should have learned this when you were 14
>>
File: noexif_7e0dcbb0.jpg (396KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
noexif_7e0dcbb0.jpg
396KB, 563x1000px
>>2500712
>>
>>2500697
>lineless "style," if it can be called that?
You mean painting?
>>
>>2500748
I learned that trolls feed themselves
>>
File: ryoko_by_wddrake-d9yoldu.jpg (136KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
ryoko_by_wddrake-d9yoldu.jpg
136KB, 774x1032px
Did this a few weeks ago. Haven't drawn in a few years, never practiced enough. Referenced, not imagination. I need alot of work.

The sticky says Loomis and right side brain book, are those still valid? Lots of posters here tell me to avoid them because of nonsensical babbling in the books.
>>
>>2500786
Right side exercises are fine, the text is mostly pseudo-scientific morale-speech that doesn't relaly matter. Keys to Drawing is a fine replacement, but you can still use Right Side. Loomis, I dunno. I never spent much time on him, I'm sure someone else can elaborate.
>>
>>2500786
>>
File: 26042016_resize.jpg (98KB, 1321x1056px) Image search: [Google]
26042016_resize.jpg
98KB, 1321x1056px
>>2498308

Do you guys have any tips. Maybe some red lines?

I'm pretty sucky at this.
>>
File: 1449241112291.jpg (52KB, 500x690px) Image search: [Google]
1449241112291.jpg
52KB, 500x690px
How do I start drawing armor? I really love stuff like Dark Souls, but have no idea how to approach armor. Any tips?
>>
>>2500818
same way as anything really, construct a good base (human figure) and using your knowledge of perspective, form and material slap it on in layers on top of the figure.
>>
>>2500698
Yup! Itll take a while before you go do some of these and each one has the right shape and no line deviation, but you're well on to the right path, keep it up!
>>
Do any of you beginners have bogs/tumblr? The one thing I miss from a school environment is being able to see classmates improve during the course
>>
>>2500804
She is facing a completely different direction.
>>
>>2500831
This is our blog, if you think about it.
>>
>>2499663
There's enough lines in there to draw another five figures. Don't waste lines on lines that are already there.
Measure twice, cut once.
>>
File: Gestures001.png (59KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gestures001.png
59KB, 1200x1200px
Complete beginner here.

Is there a "correct" way to do gesture drawing? Should I go for humanoid blobs? Boxed-up stickmen? Eggs and sausages?

Also, though it sounds like I'm asking for too much, but which one of these cheap scribbles look like I nailed it the most?
>>
>>2500864
no rules, just tools
>>
>>2500060
but that's now how that meme works
>>
>>2500866
Thank you
>>
>>2500864
keep doing it. you need to do it so much until contours not impress you anymore and have to move in for more of the essence of the pose.
no one has to understand it right from the start it only has to exist in your head, the pose, that is.

cant explain it any better. if you do it a lot you will understand it.
you can always take a look at old disney animator's gesture drawings though and decide if you want to strive to achieve their greatness or another artist's.

thank you by the way for picking orange and grey, its much more pleasant to the eye than black and white. never thought of doing this.
>>
File: thing.png (3KB, 277x312px) Image search: [Google]
thing.png
3KB, 277x312px
>>2500879
Thank you for the advice
>>
Is tripod grip ok for drawing from shoulder?
Should my palm/pinky touch the paper when I'm drawing?
>>
File: asdasd.png (52KB, 570x560px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
52KB, 570x560px
Does it look passable so far?
I'm going to continue further down the body, thats where things usualy go wrong.
>>
>>2501070
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5VwVDYf3I
>>
>>2501073
made them a bit bigger but i cant go to far cause I always end up turning them into niggerlips, thats why I avoid putting much detail in the lower lip
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nhqf19WCZ21sfzd1o.jpg (18KB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nhqf19WCZ21sfzd1o.jpg
18KB, 500x203px
>>2501088
>nigger lips

It's not about the size, it's about the shape. Example relies heavily on symbol drawing, but you get the idea.
>>
File: ellipse.jpg (965KB, 1767x1979px) Image search: [Google]
ellipse.jpg
965KB, 1767x1979px
>>
>>2501198
Agree with this anon
>>
>>2501070
Watch those boobies, they look a little too round to be realistic. Real boobs are more like water baloons sitting on a flat surface, not floating balloons inflated with air. They're not round and they are affected by gravity. Also don't forget the boob crease near the armpit.
>>
>>2501206
Thanks really helpful
>>
>>2500969
Doesn't matter son. This is from my art teacher not 4chan:
Hold the pencil like u usually do while writing. Ok, now just hold it in the middle/upper part and not the lower part (hold it higher). That's it. How you hold a pencil makes very little difference, I for one hold it like I should have broken 2 figers years ago. Just hold the pencil higher and use shoulder while drawing and GG.
No pain and you still hold it the way it's natural and familiar to you.
(just watch out for carplar tunnel, do your excercises once or twice before/after a session).
>>
>>2501070
I still think you could benefit from varying your lineweight just a little more. But it's getting better at least.
>>
>>2501261
rotate and resize
>>
File: 1461692935956.jpg (253KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1461692935956.jpg
253KB, 1080x1440px
>>2501264
Sorry about that.
>>
>>2501267
why bother uploading something that took you 5 min to do ?
>>
File: 4 loomis.png (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
4 loomis.png
23KB, 500x500px
Mouse, in Medibang painter pro. No idea why I'm posting really but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
>>
>>2501278
I'm a beginner starting from square fucking one. This took me an hour. Sorry it takes me awhile to do something I've never done before.
>>
>>2501283
Just draw dude, it looks like you're afraid of contrasting. take a 2B and put some darks in it !
>>
>>2501287
Thanks, sorry I got salty. We come back to it Thursday so I'll be sure to remember that.
>>
>>2501267
Try not to rely so heavily on lines. Focus more on shapes and values. Don't be afraid to make things really dark.
>>
>>2501280
great

now use a tablet or get to traditional and hit Head and Hands
>>
>>2501293
I got SMA, I find mouse to be much more comfortable and less exhausting.
>>
File: fgbrtg4rg.png (192KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
fgbrtg4rg.png
192KB, 500x650px
>>2500033
>>2500043
thanks for feedback

>>2500103
The bad one

>>2500118
Nice
>>
>>2501300

i find eating pizza to be much less exhausting but it's not helping me become a better artist
>>
File: wip.png (161KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
161KB, 500x650px
>>2501301
>>
File: 22.png (259KB, 500x589px) Image search: [Google]
22.png
259KB, 500x589px
>>2501305
>>
>>2498354
Better than my attempt
Absolutely chicken scratch shit. But I stuck to the rules: one eye, don't erase. Fox only
>>
File: N_GNZokMddo.jpg (12KB, 176x151px) Image search: [Google]
N_GNZokMddo.jpg
12KB, 176x151px
>>
File: asdasd.png (81KB, 514x950px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.png
81KB, 514x950px
I couldnt find a decent reference for the pose I intendet so I messed around till this came out.
Like I said before, the bodies I draw tend to look messed up.
Maybe tomorow I can ad the remaining legs and feet but the perspective might not work out.
>>2501257
I experimented with lineweight a bit but its a pain in the ass to get it right, I simply lack that control over my arm. Right now I have all the basic stuff to worry about but thanks again.
>>
File: 20160426_105638-1-800x594.jpg (83KB, 800x594px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_105638-1-800x594.jpg
83KB, 800x594px
This is my first attempt at painting still life, it's acrylic on brown cardstock. I gave myself 30 minutes to get it all done. I think when I try it with oil on canvas, I'll do more with the values.
>>
File: 4991.jpg (25KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
4991.jpg
25KB, 500x368px
>read betty edwards/bert dodson
>just like, draw what you see lmao xD
fuck you, fuck yourself to hell

now give me the REAL secret to drawing, wizards
>>
>>2501375
Just git gud, bro
>>
>>2501375
What's worked for me:
>do line drawings, make the lines match real life as much as possible to learn how to see edges/contours
>don't do lines anymore and just do values to show depth
>practice, practice, practice, practice and draw a ton of different things.

I also like copying drawing by the masters like da vinci, rembrandt, etc.
>>
>>2501373
It lacks construction or you managed to completely get rid of it. Even if you only painted the light side and the shadow side of all the objects, it would've looked much better than with all the unnecessary messy strokes you have all over the place. Keep it more simple.
>>
>>2501362
Anon she looks anorexic, and her torso seems a bit too elongated.
I'm guessing she's supposed to be relatively flat chested, but is she also supposed to be flat at the hips too?

Maybe you need to study some nudie models of a similar build. For research. Yes. Research.
Seriously though, women have much different shaping and proportions to men. Especially at the pelvis.
Trust me. I am a biologist.

Anyone have that image handy? The one that helps explain this?
>>
>>2501383
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. If I gave myself longer on it I would have done more with shadowing/detail stuff. That's why I'm looking forward to doing a new one with oils, I'm more comfortable with them. Are there certain objects you enjoy seeing in a still life? I'm going to set up a scene with proper lighting and construction for the next one.
>>
>>2501395

Do yourself a big favor and take your time on the next one. 30 minutes is fuck all for a sketch, let alone an entire painting. Just try to take the whole process really slow and meticulous. Give yourself a couple hours to measure out your pencil lay-in, a few hours to paint the whole thing, then as much time as you can be bothered to polish it. The secret to art really is just patience and focus.
>>
>>2501332

Don't do that. Be patient with your strokes, plan them out, ghost over them to try and get them right, then execute. If you fuck up erase it and try again. That's the ONLY way to get good at doing linework. If you try to cheat with chicken scratching you will never learn how to do a proper line because you're not trying.

It's hard, and you're going to fuck up a lot. Just remember you don't have to do it perfectly, you just have to make the effort to improve.
>>
>>2501408
Cool, thanks, man. That helps a lot.
>>
File: bunlink1.png (390KB, 676x500px) Image search: [Google]
bunlink1.png
390KB, 676x500px
>>
File: study7.png (2MB, 1453x1085px) Image search: [Google]
study7.png
2MB, 1453x1085px
I'm going slower by ~15 min every time
usually I do a study for 30 min but this time I did it around 45 min and spent some time measuring. But I still need to get more patient because it's still off (but I think it's a little better than the last ones)

I struggled with the mouth the most, along with eyes.
>>
File: warmup.png (2MB, 2400x2455px) Image search: [Google]
warmup.png
2MB, 2400x2455px
>>2498308
using a different brush that I don't normally use...
>>
>>2501465
One thing that may help (it did with me) is instead of drawing a line for the nose, try shading instead. There isn't really a line there and using shadow to suggest a 3D object can really make it look more natural. I'd say study the shadows and find a way to replicate darker areas, mid-tones, and highlights.
>>
>>2501465
Don't get into detail that early. Draw the general shape of the jewelry as it rests on the forms. Like you did with the bracelet. At the shoulders you have some pretty good form going. The head is flat with symbols. Make it simple for yourself.
>>
File: wip042616.png (598KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wip042616.png
598KB, 2560x1440px
i dono what im doing. non reference doodle.
>>
>>2501579
Is her nose bleeding?
>>
File: IMG_20160426_134658.jpg (295KB, 1000x678px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160426_134658.jpg
295KB, 1000x678px
I hope Uncomfortable likes my lines. Took me hours
>>
>>2501482
Looks good anon. The chest is a bit more forward than the reference and the rib looks like it's pushing out of her skin rather than her just being skinny.

Don't be afraid to put the pictures side by side or put the ref on top of yours to see where you are going.
>>
I want to spend at least 3 hours a day practicing the fundamentals, but the problem is I don't know any good exercises. I already spend 30 minutes a day doing figure/gesture drawings, but I feel like I'm not learning anything by just doing that. What kind of exercises should I be doing? I don't want to just do people either, I want to be able to draw buildings and vehicles. Or is this a ---> "read the sticky" question
>>
>>2501859
i believe that is an exaggerated philtrum
>>
>>24983my torsos are bugging me. tear it up /ic/
>>
File: Kamen_Squirrel.jpg (289KB, 1539x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen_Squirrel.jpg
289KB, 1539x1450px
Squirrel Robot,
>>
>>2501875
you are correct....
I always get made fun of. First it was giraffe necks. then it was pig nose... now nose bleed. just end me man,
>>
>>2501905
or, you can quit pussyfooting and get back to the drawing board. no shortcuts to quality.
>>
>>2501903
nice
>>
>>2501903
very imaginative, i like it. colors seem a bit washed
>>
>>2501910
but the only way i improve is taking weeks away from drawing. when i draw constantly i see no improvement but when i dont draw for a while and come back i either get better or become wayyyyy worse... what can i do to stop that?! o:
>>
>>2501920
dont draw under the creative/inspiration curve. draw daily, and draw from life. if you're uninspired go for technical accuracy instead. trust me, the creativity will come, but technical prowess can always be summoned even if only for personal/commish work
>>
File: day2.jpg (354KB, 1500x1494px) Image search: [Google]
day2.jpg
354KB, 1500x1494px
Day 2 wtihout netflix & facebook
>>
>>2501875
>>2501905
>>2501859
>>2501579
maybe if you read the fucking sticky

"“Show less, know more”: Sometimes, trying to demonstrate that you know something, shows you know less. *dunning kruger cough* This is the case when you miss the subtility of things. For example: Many beginners try to draw laugh lines with darker lines than they need to. The want to demonstrate what they’re seeing is overpowering their judgement. The lines are actually very light, so either leave them out completely, or make them thinner. By the way, this is VERY common in in the philtral column and philtral dimple."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VfDTpLLVl5bWUGWguswKpPFml533luI8-NBd1EGYHnA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#
>>
File: ref study bs.png (3MB, 2394x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ref study bs.png
3MB, 2394x2000px
>>2501924
wow this is some really sound advice!

Any advice on improving technical skill and doing studies cause everytime i try it looks like ass and i don't get it at all.
>>
>>2501938
read this
>>2498366
>>
>>2501935
Where did you get the sticky link from?
I have this saved from when it was started but hadn't seen it for a while now. Thanks!

>>2501940
kk will try this and come back with a report wish me luck!
>>
>>2501935
>>2501940

ROFL HOLY SHIT nvm nvm didnt know the sticky was linked on top post of this. i always just saw the main sticky in the catalog
>>
File: sketch.jpg (38KB, 472x700px) Image search: [Google]
sketch.jpg
38KB, 472x700px
Trying to get that anatomy in work.

Anything I should work on?
>>
>>2501969
too much wrong to salvage. scrap this, read bridgeman and loomis, draw from life.
>>
File: Monkman.png (350KB, 1000x909px) Image search: [Google]
Monkman.png
350KB, 1000x909px
Hey /beg/, back again with a character piece. I'm having some trouble with the pose he's in. Any adivce on landing this pose correct would be great. And, as always, any other help is appreciated. love you guys
>>
>>2501981
resize fag
>>
>>2501981
Take a better photo of it next time and resize it too.
>>
File: finished.jpg (306KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
finished.jpg
306KB, 768x1024px
>>2501987
>>2501984
hope this is a better size, can't take a better picture of it now because it's packed away for transport
>>
>>2501978
What's it going to take for you to leave this thread and go to the regular drawthread? Do I have to suck your dick? I recognize you and you post in the god-damn wrong spot again. It's better to be a low teir draw thread poster than a high teir beginner thread poster anyway, more people will comment and give you better critique over there, and you scare people off.
>>
>>2501978
I'm kinda shit so take the following with a grain of salt, but I think the issue is that the pose lacks weight. It kinda looks like he's balancing on his tippy toes when I think it would look better if he was squatting. Were you mindful of balance when coming up with the pose? Did you use a reference?

As I said, I'm kinda shit so my critique might be worth shit, but I'm taking the opportunity to critique in order to begin understand faults with my own drawings. Hope that makes any sense.
>>
File: Monkman.png (335KB, 1000x909px) Image search: [Google]
Monkman.png
335KB, 1000x909px
>>2501996
You're completely right. All it took was me to try the pose to know how messed up I was, I've altered it and it feels much better
>>2501994
I'll leave when I git gud
>>
>>2502028
Stop being a dick.
>>
File: wip042616.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wip042616.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2501938
>>2501940
Yeah i suck dick at this. wtf. i dont get it. like if i try and draw what i see i get everything out of place. If i draw big shapes to then refine later it still comes out retarded as fuckkk.
>>
File: Kamen_Squirrel.jpg (846KB, 3429x2058px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen_Squirrel.jpg
846KB, 3429x2058px
Did more on the Squirrel Robot and just sketched more shit.
>>
>>2501970
I'd actually like a detailed explanation please.
>>
>>2502028
>>2502042
Seriously the both of you, get the fuck out and go to the draw thread. Get out of the damn nest and go to the grown ups table. I've seen worse in the draw thread then you two, a lot worse.
>>
>>2501332
not too bad! we'll get there one day. you drawin' with your arm or what?
>>
>>2502046
I've been kicked out of draw thread a couple times. Please don't make me go to purgatory
>>
>>2502042
>Squirrel
have you ever seen a squirrel or is that a beaver squirrel hybrid?
>>
>>2502054
Exactly what did they say to you, might I ask?
>>
>>2502054
Argh, which one are you squirrel/beaver guy or blue smurf God guy? I wanna see yall succeed and get better but Ya are gettin to the point where ya need to move out to the draw thread.
>>
>>2502060
Mostly just the thing where they'd link me to here. I've gotten a few "just stop"s before, along with the usual shitposts. I just wanna post in the right spot, but the people here are less aggressive about it and I usually get a crit here, so thats why I stay here
>>2502062
blue smurf god guy here. Idk if squirrel guy had similar experiences, hes better than me so chances are hes just posting her by incident
>>
Which software do Japanese illustrators mostly use? Photoshop?
>>
i want to draw furry porn
>>
File: oversmug.jpg (167KB, 405x412px) Image search: [Google]
oversmug.jpg
167KB, 405x412px
>>2502097
suicide?
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 256x197px
>>2502080
Well his moved to the Draw Thread, hope he doesn't get eatin alive.
But Really ya aren't to far off from being an okay artist. Just need to take a deep look at your work when you're makin it and do alot of thumbnails to get an idea of a proper pose.
>>
File: wip1042616.png (736KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
wip1042616.png
736KB, 2000x1125px
I don't get these. is there something I can do to make it click? I tried doing it upside down but it was worse than not doing it upside down. This is the upside down try even with guide lines too.
>>2502041

the one i linked was just me eyeballing it.
>>
>>2502107
thanks friend
>>
>>2501382
I'm assuming you're past symbol drawing. how do you see things like an eye for example now compared to how you would see it before?

2nd question for anyone who feels like answering; at most universities they have classes where they teach you how to draw/paint right?
>>
>>2502111
No Problem champ I'll keep a look at for your stuff on here.
>>
>>2502103
>implying furry porn isn't preferential to your garbage
>>
>>2502118
>implying literal garbage isn't preferential to furry porn
>>
>>2502123
nosefag<furry porn<literal garbage

Yes, thank you for your contribution.
>>
>>2502132
glad to help
>>
>>2501238
Thanks senpai
>>
>>2501868
I don't see what's wrong with the exercises in the books mentioned in the stickies.
>>
File: 1455202895714.jpg (2MB, 3888x2588px) Image search: [Google]
1455202895714.jpg
2MB, 3888x2588px
What exactly does it mean to work on negative space/utilize negative space?
>>
File: lkuizTg.jpg (416KB, 1000x1777px) Image search: [Google]
lkuizTg.jpg
416KB, 1000x1777px
>>2500112
I can't understand what I did to make the arm so much longer.

Sorry for worst phone pic ever, might scan tomorrow if asked/needed to.
>>
>>2502093
I dunno about japs but my nip buddy Feng uses photoshop, I hear japs are better tho :^)
>>
>>2501866
ah thanks, never thought about putting the ref on top while going, might try it out.
>>
>>2500002
Oo, is that Peter Han line practice? Actually 2nding the question. I don't know how usable his exercises are.
>>
>>2501482
it seems like you should move her navel to the left a bit
>>
File: mnt clounds study.png (897KB, 801x600px) Image search: [Google]
mnt clounds study.png
897KB, 801x600px
im trying to see how fast i can get a decent landscape without spending a lot of time pushing details. seems like it went ok even though the colors are off by a lot in some areas
>>
File: 3069-onsite_resizing_main1.jpg (209KB, 800x394px) Image search: [Google]
3069-onsite_resizing_main1.jpg
209KB, 800x394px
I never see /ic/ touching the subject of rendering surfaces. Does it come natural to most people?

I'm horrible at it, I need some gnomon-tier tutorial on the subject. Gibe.
>>
I recently switched to digital and I have trouble with blending/rendering/shading and all that stuff, I literally don't understand how to do it, I try opacity, I can mix colors and shit fine though

What I'm asking is, is there anywhere explaining how to go about it? I looked on Ctrl+Paint but it seems that his video on that is paid for and my google searches haven't gotten me anywhere (I might be shit at googling)

Also, drawing on a tablet is god damn hard man, how long until one gets use to it?
>>
File: image2.jpg (569KB, 1100x4677px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
569KB, 1100x4677px
>>2502233
try doing pic related. use references and try painting as if you painting a cylinder/filling a cylinder. it got me going in the right direction. also it seems to be somewhat of a visual library thing for example seeing different examples of different types of clouds, rocks, trees etc

>>2502245
be sure to play with the flow as well and dont overuse the air brush to blend. it becomes obvious that youre using it as a crutch. what medium were you using before? if you were using just pencil and paper making the switch to full color painting can be a bit much. start with greyscale for a while and worry about learning whatever program youre using. as for the drawing part i honestly cant say, you could try the peter han exercises here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1lleIBzn3A that are recommended a lot. but im not one to be talking about this i never quit solved my chicken scratch problem
>>
>>2499754
No idea what the best way is, but compared to the videos that go with the course, drawabox isn't watered down at all. Han isn't a very good orator and when I compare my notes of the first few videos to drawabox they're missing a lot of good info. Make of that what you will. Robertson's Gnomon DVD and first book are great, but the type of perspective drawing he teaches is different than the Han/DaB method of focusing on building forms from primitives. Personally I'm doing drawabox first.

>>2500002
>>2502218
Probably not.

>>2500695
See above. Fun With a Pencil turned me off from the start, but I plan on finishing it one day.

>>2500698
>>2501201
Not bad, but you're getting sloppy with a lot of those ellipses. On the funnels especially you have a lot of hooked ends; slow down.

>>2500831
Not while I'm still in my larval stage. Don't see the point.

>>2502093
I doubt anyone here has worked in that specific field long enough to know. In the few documentaries I've seen where I can identify what they're using it's been Photoshop of SAI.

>>2502233
>>2502245
I know enough to know that it's complicated. Scott Robertson has a book and several YouTube videos about it. Ctrl+Paint has a lot of info about this, and I'm pretty sure all the videos here are free:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/
I'm learning to draw before I learn to paint, so I've put my tablet away for now to really focus on that.

>>2502257
When people refer to him I'm almost certain they're usually referring to the 8 week DS1 course, which an anon posted in the past. There are 10 videos (week 4 and 6 have 2) total. The first of which is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk that contains the coordination exercises that people recommend. As I mentioned above, drawabox goes into a lot more detail than he does in his first few videos. No idea if he's changed the course or what the entirety of DS2 contains.
>>
>>2502225
how long did it take you, cause in my opinion its looking pretty good, im doing the same thing for color studies, keep it up
>>
>>2502233

What you are talking about is pretty much the whole point of painting from still lifes and plein air
>>
>>2499546
You've begun. Go back to Loomis and hammer it out. Intuitive knowledge is discovered, not learned.

It seems like you have a basic grasp of 3d. you need to sharpen your dexterity, and sharpen your ability to actually see whats there and not a symbolic representation of whats there.

the only way to do that is to just repeat repeat repeat and make the discoveries. It takes time and effort. Draw that head 5 times. try and make it a bit better every time. Go back to loomis and work on head construction. learn to draw a comic head before moving onto more complex shapes.
>>
>>2501465
you're getting ahead of yourself. you're doing alright with your understanding, but you need to go back and work on construction in general
>>
>>2500637
not if you waste time drawing garbage like that and posting it here. LOOMIS
>>
>>2500786
loomis is good shit
>>
>>2502110
the mouth should have more of an "O" to it, her eyes are too close together and it makes her look caucasian, the glasses are similarly too close together. here eyebrows in your drawing are also a little too "fuck me" compaired to the reference
>>
>>2502286
why thank you. i dont think it take anymore than 3. if you havent checked the reference threads they have some pretty good landscape refs. thats where i got that one
>>
File: 1461369139127.jpg (714KB, 1400x1922px) Image search: [Google]
1461369139127.jpg
714KB, 1400x1922px
I'm having alot of trouble 'carving' big objects into basic shapes/details (like legs on the chair)

like I drew 2 boxes for pic related and the figure, and then I got stuck on the diagonal legs

does anyone have any tips in this?
>>
>>2502401
You clicked all of those to make that shitty post. Reevaluate your life
>>
>>2502418
Construct complex shapes from basic shapes, dont carve basic shapes into complex shapes
>>
>>2502418
Keys to Drawing and DotRSotB both cover visual measuring. Try drawing the negative space around the legs (the chair's and the man's) and use plumb lines to check your angles. Next time post the drawing.
>>
File: 20160427_195736.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160427_195736.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
What could I do better ?
>>
>>2502576
You could rotate and resize
>>
>>2502594
Sorry first time uploading
>>
>>2502352
oh wow 3 hours is pretty long, I'm trying to keep it at half hour/hour. not really focusing too much on shapes, more so on color, as a way to see how good they turned out I always look at both thumbnails.
>>
File: oiufoiuf.jpg (32KB, 472x900px) Image search: [Google]
oiufoiuf.jpg
32KB, 472x900px
back again. Anything of not that could be worked on?
>>
i know i pooped up on the eye but i just started and im afraid to erase it in case it gets worse.

any comments/tips appreciated
>>
I'm learning art from scratch. Pretend I've never touched a pen tablet, or crayon and tell me what to do.
>>
>>2498492
Damn, now I'm too embarrassed to post mine.
>>
>>2503620
Read the first line of the OP.
>>
File: 0428161232.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0428161232.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2503657
I'll post it anyways.
>>
File: dddddddd.png (2MB, 1688x1040px) Image search: [Google]
dddddddd.png
2MB, 1688x1040px
>>2503679
oops heres a better version
>>
Step one draw something
Step two draw it better

repeat step two until you get good
>>
>>2503665
>[BEFORE YOU ASK "WHERE DO I START GUYS LMAO?" READ THE STICKY]

Was kinda hoping I'd get advice, like some benevolent artist that would talk to me in a practical sense.

God-artist: What do you like to draw little new artist
Me: I like to draw silly cartoons
God-artist: Silly cartoons won't make you better at anatomy
Me: you're right, perhaps I should draw other things too like anime
God-artist: Anime is closer to graphic design than anatomically correct. Would you like to learn how to design first or how to draw people first.
Me: People first then graphic design.
God-artist: Draw lots of people anatomically correct then try to draw anime using what you learned from drawing real people.
Me: Wow that's really helpful. Thank you very much.
>>
File: oWENDJU.png (370KB, 1483x963px) Image search: [Google]
oWENDJU.png
370KB, 1483x963px
Can someone direct me towards some good grayscale tutorials
>>
Cum
>>
>>2503679
>>2503684
Did you even go trough Keys to drawing first or did you just jump into loomis like a retard?
>>
>>2503193
Symbol drawing/10

>>2502576
Don't smudge, think about hair in volumes, actually draw the rest, cleaner lines.

>>2502028
I think your problem is your shit lines, and some perspective mistakes which makes things feel unconnected. I would recommend just going trough the Scott Robertson's how to draw book and then nobody should say to fuck off from draw threads.

>>2501882
Everything below ribs is fucked, clean your lines, think in masses, study skulls.
>>
>>2503737
Shut the fuck up and get keys to drawing. Come back when you are done with it.
>>
File: fin.png (847KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fin.png
847KB, 900x1200px
Is there anything glaringly wrong with this? besides the ear I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do with it, gonna check references now.

I'm running late on a deadline, this is my final project in art class and I should have delivered it yesterday, what should I change?

Is the lip color flat? I find it hard to make them 'pop' out...

and is it too muddy? should I only shade with a red tone? not a brown one?
>>
>>2505632
Probably jumped into it like a retard
>>
>>2505632
Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
File: 20160430_195242.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160430_195242.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2498315
i just started doing realistic after a year of o i know how to draw BS i was telling myself. i also ordered Keys To Drawing by Bert Dodson and would also like to ask anybody who has it if its any good.
also
I'm a little bit embarrassed posting what i did cause it looks like a gay lex luthor but i want to know what you guys think.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 104

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.