[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the M2 browning is still in use today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (420KB, 2560x1037px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
420KB, 2560x1037px
How come the M2 browning is still in use today?
>>
>>3046353
Browning is a very popular practice.
>>
>>3046353
Because it's dope
>>
Because John Browning is the greatest weapons designer to have ever lived.
>>
>>3046353
its just that good
>>
>>3046368
but it's like from fucking ww1
>>
>>3046353
it´s just the thing for defending high ground
>>
>>3046375
It's actually been modified heavily over the years to the point where it's effectively a different weapon with the same designation.

The DoD likes to change things incrementally if they can.
>>
>>3046353
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/k/
>>
>>3046375
Small arms haven't really improved much over the course of 20th century.
>>
>>3046402
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>3046353
Because it still kills people and breaks things well.

You're clearly never fired one.
>>
>>3046427
>>>>>>>>/summer/
>>
We have genuinely reached a plateau as to how much the same type of firearm can be reconsolidated.

The next great invention in firearms will more than likely be in optics
>>
File: 111.jpg (191KB, 2300x1169px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
191KB, 2300x1169px
MG 42, or the MG 3 as it's known today another old weapon that's still in service. It still does the job it's designed to do really well so why get rid of it?
>>
>>3046420
details?
>>
>>3046948
There's a mechanism that ignites powder that violently expands rapidly and propels an object through a barrel towards a target.

We've increased the lethality of the operation, but not the basic structure.
>>
>>3046353
If it ain't broke don't fix it
>>
>>3046353
Because it works. Militaries (at least successful ones) don't function "le current year" tumblr autism.
>>
Guns thermselfes dont really improve anymore,there are only variations of them and the accessories that you modify them with.from brass casings over smokeless powder to aircooled automatics we pretty much perfected the weapon system of a ball propelled by powder.
>>
>>3047027
>tumblr is the cause of all technogical progress
>militaries don't care about improving their capabilities

First rate post.
>>
File: 50 Cal in Space.png (46KB, 741x290px) Image search: [Google]
50 Cal in Space.png
46KB, 741x290px
>>3046353
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

>t. Muhreen who deployed with a Ma-Deuce made in 1940
>>
>>3047145
You might be kidding, but the Marines deploy with many of the same things that the Marines in WWII and Korea deployed with.

Not the same kinds of things.

The same fucking things.
>>
>>3046948
The last major milestone in the development of firearms was the development of the assault rifle, that is, a handheld weapon capable of firing rifle calibre rounds at a rate of several hundred a minute, up to and beyond what is useful for an infantryman.

Other than experiments like the G11, there hasn't been much change in what actually constitutes a bullet (particularly propellant), and so once we get to the point where we can make a weapon that fires these bullets as fast/faster than we could ever possibly need, the mechanical development loses its main focus (the main focus of firearm development, ever since hand cannons, was rate of fire, with accuracy and range being their only competitors, but those plateaued at the turn of the 20th century to a large degree).

Take, as an example so well known, the AK-47; performance-wise, even the original models still hold up in comparison with modern rifles. Sure it might not be the most accurate weapon in the world, and it might have some drawbacks, recoil and long range drop being the obvious ones, but it can still equal in terms of battlefield performance, any new design, simply because the mechanics of the weapons haven't changed since its development. The AK is now 70 years old.

Its like taking an Oakeshott type X sword against an Oakeshott type XXII. One might be half a millennium older, and one might be more finely developed for a specific purpose and whatnot, but at the end of the day, they are still straight bladed, double edged pieces of iron about 3 ft long with a sharp point at the tip.
>>
File: wtf mareen.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
wtf mareen.gif
2MB, 300x164px
>>3047176
Not kidding lol, I got a .50 that was converted for the AAV that was dated to 1940, she shot like a dream too if you headspaced and timed her just right (Yes she was a girl and her name was Rosy)
>>
>>3047201
There's something comfy as fuck about going cyclic with a .50 that you can't get with anything other than a minigun.
>>
File: Amtracker.jpg (1008KB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Amtracker.jpg
1008KB, 3072x2048px
>>3047211
>be me
>boot muhreen innamosschool
>spend weeks getting to know the .50 cal and Mk19 grenade launcher intimately
>race each other to take it apart while gingerly handling the parts
>learn to headspace and time to get that perfect rate of fire
>drive out to the ranges almost across base, sight in the guns to the turret
>range finally starts, hear the .50 for the first time, that distinct THUNK-THUNK-THUNK reverberates in my heart
>get handed two compliments of ammo (about 200 rounds of ammo) and get told to A gun for whoever is currently shooting in my track
>pass up ammo and clear out the dunnage (spent case) box
>finally my turn, body is tensing, have a chub going on since the shooting start
>wriggle my way up the turret, shudder slightly as the cold metal and aluminum touches me
>sit in the seat and adjust, right in eye level with the sights, the .50 sits to my right expectantly
>instructor tells me whats gonna happen, half listen as I eye fuck the .50, my body already knows what to do
>A gunner taps me and hands up my ammo, snatch it up and put the box in its spot
>then, with assertive yet tender force, I throw the top cover open, exposing the .50s beautiful insides
>run my fingers through the grooves where the feed lever runs, she's a bit dry
>grab the spray bottle of CLP, liberally spray lube all over the bolt assembly
>CLP drips from the bottom of the weapon, feel it start to soak my leg
>shes ready, grab the rounds out of the can, female in first, rest the rounds flush on her feed tray tenderly but firmly,
>suddenly give her top cover a nice and hard slap, completely erect at this point
>almost drooling with anticipation, I rack her back once, I see her shudder in her cradle
>rack it back on more time and I hear a a link fall into the dunnage box
>Instructor tells me to fire when ready, rest my fingers on her butterfly trigger, sort of stroke it for a spit second
>cock is rock fucking hard I finally put some pressure on the trigger

continue?
>>
>>3047291
Yes please
>>
File: Legs Open and Waiting.png (205KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Legs Open and Waiting.png
205KB, 600x399px
>>3047299
>almost cum right then and there as the .50 lets loose a beautiful 10 to 15 round burst
>not yet, feel the turret as rocks thanks to the bolt cycles and chambers in round after round
>see sparks fly off the target and tracer rounds bounce
>can feel CLP slightly on my face as the bolt feverishly slams home and fires the next round
>heart is pumping, blood going to my face, on the verge of blowing my load, I let go of the trigger
>instructor calls out targets for me, can see the CLP absolutely dripping, butterfly trigger almost calling my name
>in a lascivious frenzy, I slam my fingers on the trigger, let out another 10 round burst, don't even notice going through this until I have to reload
>reload her again and continue my edging session
>hear and FEEL her perfect rate of fire in my hand, not a single stutter or skip
>feel a pressure stirring in my loins, cock is absolutely diamonds at this point creating a noticable tent in the groin area of my coveralls
>don't care who sees, mouth goes agape, eyes roll back as I experience the most incredible and intense orgasm of my life
>must've dumped buckets as I shoot the last rounds of my compliment
>go limp, rest my head on her receiver, I look up as I see satisfied smoke coming from her open bolt
>open her top cover, see the smoke rising, CLP gunked up everywhere and the smell of gunpowder intoxicates me
>before I climb out the turret to go change my coveralls and police call, I lean in close to the .50 and whisper
>"Thank You"
>>
>>3047352
Well this is just sublime.
>>
>>3046398
Not entirely true,
there's one M2 Browning that they found in current service with serial numbers dating back to WWII
>>
>>3047145
I wish that green text had left out the location until the final line, would have added punch
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.