[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of portuguese history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: P6ZxDCkx.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
P6ZxDCkx.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
I am from Portugal and I love my country's history, I wanted to know what people from other countries think.
>>
>t. alberto barbarosa
>>
>>2949392
>>>/b/
>>>/bant/
>>
File: 1410529296211.png (1MB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1410529296211.png
1MB, 4500x4334px
>>2949392
cucked to its core
>>
>>2949392
Portugal is a non-country. You don't even have any nukes.
>>
>>2949392
Really Interesting right up to the Angola thing then somewhat lack luster.
>>
>>2949392
A glorious history and people, and in face of dimension, it has no parallel by no other country.
Netherlands and Greece are the ones that probably are near in terms of achivements and world impact.
>>
Even when I was a young kid I've always liked Portugal over spain
>>
Spain's confused little brother.
>>
>>2949392
As you can see, I am republican, and therefore must be an american, living in th e US.

I think Portuguese history is much superior to our measly 250 years of jewry. Brasil should also give back their rightful land and clay.
>>
>>2949392
You guys had a pretty impressive empire at one point for how small and poorly developed it was outside of Lisbon
>>
>>2949392
Too much colonial focus for my taste
The other colonial powers were much more active at home in comparison
>>
>>2949394
>What do you guys think of portuguese history?
>history
>>>/his/
>>
>>2949392
King Henry the Navigator is an underrated historical figure.

t. Ameriburger whose country only exists because of European exploration
>>
File: 400px-Vascodagama.jpg (105KB, 400x777px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Vascodagama.jpg
105KB, 400x777px
>>2949392
I really like. Always makes you wonder how such a small country managed to do what it did. Portuguese africa is probably my favorite aspect because of Salazar

Also does anyone know any other country that did stuff like this?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PadrĂ£o
>>
>>2949457
Henry wasn't a king, just a prince.
>>
I like Portugal, but I've always been confused why you didn't join up with Castile like Aragon did. The finale of the Reconquista just seems a natural time to make all your strangely vertical countries one unified Iberia.

I heard you were even a part of Spain for a while, or ruled in personal union, but broke free. Why was that?
>>
>>2950376
We aren't Spanish.

That's our whole identity

We've had several war to stay independent even before the reconquista was over. After a few hundred years we started to view castile as our anticulture in a way.

Portugal is Galician.

But not Castilian, if Leon had remained out of castile I think Portugal would have reunited with them.

Seeing as how leon is a closer middle ground between castile and Portugal culturally.
>>
>>2950376
I see no reason for them to be united. They branched off the Kingdom of Leon pretty early on and did things their way, fighting off Castille when they invaded. If Portugal had united like Aragon then it would be like modern day Catalonia, a region fighting for independence.
It was united with Spain as a separate kingdom during the Habsburgs but separated because it was hindering their colonial expansion and putting them in unnecessary wars.
>>
can someone briefly explain to me why all of the countries in the Iberian peninsula were once rectangles
>>
>>2950458
There was limited space
>>
>>2949392
Can you recommend any good books on Portuguese history?
>>
File: 31681718.jpg (26KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
31681718.jpg
26KB, 260x400px
>>2950640
Pic related
There's also "History of Portugal" by A. R. Disney
>>
>>2950410
You live on a big rock called Hispania
>>
>>2950746
It's called Iberia. Hispania is the name given by the romans
>>
>>2949392
>Make %country_name% great again

Why do you do this? Why do you feel the need to copy americans?
>>
I really enjoted reading Nigel Cliff's "Holy War"
>>
>>2949392
>being Britain's dog
>history
>>
>>2950792
Because american ""politics"" are a meme.
>>
>>2949392
I always imagined Portugal as Spain's sidekick during the age of discovery
>>
>>2950320
Pardon me, my mistake.
>>
File: american strategy.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
american strategy.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
getting rid of the Iberian Union was a mistake
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.