[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /his/ what's "time"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1449642487055.jpg (39KB, 627x616px) Image search: [Google]
1449642487055.jpg
39KB, 627x616px
hey /his/ what's "time"?
>>
>>2883782
The increase of entropy in reality.
>>
>>2883792
That's something "time" is apart of. A description of movement.
>>
>>2883782
1 dimension of space-time
>>
>>2883839
So is "time" an entity? a non-entity? You've just said "time" is "time.
>>
>>2883835
Thats the definition of time. Your disagreement means little.
Also not /his/.
>>
>>2883866
philosophy is /his/. If "time" is movment why do you experience less of it the more movement you posses?
>>
The perception of a passage of the moment through memory and analytical grouping, really everything is only ever happening now.
>>
>>2883872
There is no you. Time isn't personal. Perception is personal.
Ask about the perception of time if thats what you want, there will be an evolutionary related response. Still not /his/,
>>
>>2883878
anything experiences less time faster it moves. A particle of light experiences the birth of the universe and it's death simultaneously. 'Time' is personal, i.e, relative. But it also covers all of reality as a blanket. The constant ticking of the universe. But that doesn't explain what 'time' is without referencing itself. "entropy increases over time" doesn't describe time.
>>
>>2883874
If time can be divided it it'd be the before, the future, and the now. The ever changing picture of the universe. But doesn't that lend itself to the Divine? A "force" that is above all other laws of the universe? Something that exists because it has to exist? Whatever 'it' is?
>>
>>2883895
Entropy increases. Time is a made up word we use to measure that increase.
>>
>>2883782
The medium in which we measure and describe history
>>>/sci/
>>>/int/
>>
>>2883916
So when entropy decreases for 'x' It's experiencing negative time? You're just describing movement. And the tendency of disorder through time.
>>2883923
>medium in which we measure and describe
What is it, then, we are measuring?
>>
A theory based on there apparently being a past.

A better question is what is the present. It takes a period of time for synapses to happen and yield our consciousness yet here we are. The present cannot be an instant as it is modelled in physics.
>>
>>2883925
Irrelevant in the context of history. Redundant in the context of what you loosely define as philosophy.
>>>/sci/
>>>/int/
>>
>>2883941
Philosophers throughout 'time' have discussed and strained to define time. I thought it'd be a fun discussion to have. Don't have a cow, man.

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know." -Augustine
>>
>>2883983
piss off
>>
>>2883983
If philosophers more qualified than your average armchair /his/torian can't agree on something there's nothing you can take away from us, especially for such an abstract concept of time.

Not only this, people have shitposted so much philosophy bait like stirner and nietzche that /his/ actively hates discussing the humanities portion of this board. You'll literally have better success asking /int/ or /sci/.
>>
>>2883782
Ever see traffic signs with blinking lights that go from left to right?

They don't really go from left to right, do they. They just go on and off. Your eye following them moves from left to right, hence the feeling that the lights are moving left to right.

Time is the same sort of phenomenon based perceptual hallucination.
>>
>>2883782
Time is a tool you can put on the wall, or wear it on your wrist.
>>
File: 1457467192254.png (332KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457467192254.png
332KB, 1000x1000px
>>2883782
A unit of measurement used to measure the distance between events.
>>
File: racoon-head-stuck-in-drain.jpg (67KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
racoon-head-stuck-in-drain.jpg
67KB, 1200x630px
>>2883839
but what is "space"
>>
File: Immanuel-Kant-for-Pianko-5-15.jpg (81KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Immanuel-Kant-for-Pianko-5-15.jpg
81KB, 640x480px
>>2883782
One of the two attributes of perception.
>>
File: Kant-2-554x467.jpg (146KB, 554x467px) Image search: [Google]
Kant-2-554x467.jpg
146KB, 554x467px
>>2884756
One of the two attributes of perception.
>>
>>2883782
A divine benchmark that defines what we can and can't talk about on this board
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.