[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Ancient Egypt the most overrated civilization?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Other than tourist traps, some spooky myths, being the setting of famous Jewish fairy tales and teaching the world how to properly mutilate their genitals, Ancient Egypt literally contributed nothing to world advancement. No part of modern civilization in any area of the world traces any part of its development to an Egyptian innovation. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly great in its day. But it had no new insights compared to the much more advanced Middle Eastern civs. Even the Greeks commented on how intellectually lazy these people were, the proof being that they developed NO astronomical theories despite Egypt being the perfect place for star gazing.

Note I am talking about ANCIENT Egyptian civilization. Not Greco-Roman Egypt which had nothing to do with traditional Egyptian culture and was just a food factory. Not to mention the coastal areas being built and inhabited by foreigners

The reason this meme nation is exalted was because Europeans WRONGLY thought it was the first civilization. They thought it invented farming, writing, animal husbandry, religion and a bunch of other things which have sense been proven false (and by a long shot) Nonetheless, this meme presses on

Egypt remained for most of its reign culturally stagnant. Mummification and pyramid building are common Neolithic motifs, the only special thing about Giza was its size. Even in its engineering, the Egyptians only had a basic mathematical knowledge and were poor in this regard compared to Babylon.

TL;DR, Egypt is a big fat MEME and is the lesser of the Mediterranean children I am sad to say
>>
It was the first civilization way before the others. Also the pyramids and sphinx are utterly majestic. Also it's culture is super unique and the gods and desert and stuff are cool to learn about.
>>
>>2619342
>It was the first civilization way before the others.
>What is Sumer
>>
>>2619332
OP is a faggot. Egyptians literally had the earliest mathematics and written languages. The former of which had the most influence on the Greeks compared to other ME civilizations. Shitloads of art and cultural norms were adopted by nearby societies as well and the Pyramids were architectural masterpieces that were not comparable to pre-historical ones.

>the proof being that they developed NO astronomical theories despite Egypt being the perfect place for star gazing.
This is a lie. They built the pyramids to align with the polestar.
>>
File: IMG_0278.png (529KB, 824x1028px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0278.png
529KB, 824x1028px
>>2619355
I agree. Why isn't there more Mesopotamia in pop culture?
>>
>>2619449
>Egyptians literally had the earliest mathematics and written languages.

*Mesopotamians

>The former of which had the most influence on the Greeks compared to other ME civilizations.

Greek mathematics was influenced by the Babylonians as much as by the Egyptians.
>>
Overrated when viewed from the current "official" timeline.
Much more interesting when viewed from the perspective that the sphinx is atleast 12500 years old.
>>
>>2619332
It's very stability is what makes it unique.

They had the same culture and language for 2000 years while in Mesopotamia a new group of goat herders would take over every few hundred years--akkadians, amorites, hurrians, assyrians.

Egypt was also far richer than their Near Eastern neighbors, and they knew it.

"Brotherhood of Kings" by Amanda Podany is a really good read on international relations in the Bronze Age Near East.
>>
The main thing Egypt has going for it is that it had the decency to leave us some decent written records. The Hittites, Assyrians, whoever, were incredibly lax about that bit, so we are justified in not caring about them.

It's kinda like Greeks vs the Persians. If the Persians couldn't care enough to write down their side of the story, why should I care about it?
>>
>>2619534
Nice job naming two of the ancient states with the best-preserved records.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Ashurbanipal
http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/1/777777190247/

We've literally dug up their libraries.
>>
>>2619534
>Assyrians
The library of Ashurbanipal.

>the Persians couldn't care enough to write down their side of the story, why should I care about it?
The destruction of Persepolis destroyed most written documents and records.
>>
>>2619342
>It was the first civilization

>>>/out/
>>
>>2619342
>It was the first civilization way before the others.

PLEASE LEAVE
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.