[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people believe everything goes black when you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Large_DJ-423.jpg (54KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Large_DJ-423.jpg
54KB, 1000x1000px
Why do so many people believe everything goes black when you die? Wouldn't you need to be alive still to see black?
>>
it's a metaphor
>>
>>2521775

That wouldn't make sense as a metaphor either.
>>
I don't think people mean literally you see black, rather they are trying to describe the feeling of unconciousness, like when you're asleep. Wouldn't you say when you fall asleep everything goes black? I would.
>>
>>2521781

>the feeling of unconsciousness

You can't feel unconsciousness. You need to be conscious to feel something. That captures the original "everything goes black" mistake pretty well. You keep imagining there's something to imagine.
>>
>>2521768

What if your consciousness remains after death, just floating in a void where you can only think?
>>
>>2521932

That's totally plausible except that brains exist and are 100% responsible for sensation and cognition to the point where you become a retarded man-infant when your brain starts to decay from Alzheimer's.
>>
Black is just synonymous with nothingness I suppose. Which is a decent metaphor.
>>
>>2521768
>>>/sci/
>>>/x/
>>>/b/
>>
>>2521942

>metaphor

What's with everyone using this "metaphor" argument? Explain specifically how that works as a metaphor. I ask because it totally doesn't work as a metaphor.
>>
>>2521946

>& Humanities
>>
>There are people who haven't experienced zero-perception
Lucky bastards.

Anyone else here have those lapses where it feels like you just weren't conscious for a little while despite being wide awake?
I imagine that is what death is like, only you don't ever start percieving again. That is what timelessness "feels" like ( feels is in quotes because you don't feel or are aware of anything during that state)
>>
>>2521950
"Going black" is a decent metaphor for nothingness. Considering black is the absence (or total absorption) of light, I think it's a good metaphor.
>>
citation needed on who "people" are and them saying this
>>
>>2521939
whew
>>
>>2521984

The guy who created the Sopranos tv show and like half of the people in this thread:

>>2521775
>>2521781
>>2521932
>>2521942
>>2521979
>>
>>2522014

>muh "brain is just a receiver" theory

It doesn't work like that. You can warp a TV show's colors or sounds as they appear on a particular TV set, but you can't alter the TV shows plot or create new characters just by tampering with a TV set receiving a TV show. Our brain's don't just warp signals by getting damaged. You can reliably induce radical overhauls of how a mind works just by tampering with the brain through psychoactive drugs, disease, and physical trauma.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.