[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese norms vs western norms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ashkjgd.jpg (51KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
ashkjgd.jpg
51KB, 600x450px
What differences do you notice in Japanese culture compared to "western" ones and what are your two cents on them?

topics
>Views on death and especially suicide.
>Repentance, honour of yourself and others.
>Isolationism and strict immigration policies.
>Collective interest and the individual's role in it.
>"Politeness hierarchy" based on rank, age, type of interaction etc.
>whatever else you deem worthy of discussion.
>>
>>1954764
>Isolationism

This isn't really the case anymore. Hasn't been since the end of WW2 really.

I honestly don't know much about contemporary Japan, so that's all my input.
>>
bump for interest
>>
Their white collars workers work 15 hours a day but without being more productive than westerners that very often pretend to work.
>>
>>1954772
baka!
>>
an old meme in japan. there is more respect towards people who kill themselves and the suicidal there, but it's still frowned upon greatly. the bushido culture was literally wiped out in WWII, everyone who was most obsessed with it was killed in the war, killed themselves in the war or killed themselves after the war, pretty much wet blanketed that culture.

there are differences in how the "honor" abstraction works between the cultures. honor is about sticking up for your beliefs and values in the west, but in nipland it's more about putting on a proper "face" at proper times, and often the opposite, submitting your beliefs and values to a superior.

>Isolationism and strict immigration policies.
japanese culture is impenetrable. complete opposite of for example the USA. if you are not ethnically and culturally japanese, you are not a part of their culture.

>Collective interest and the individual's role in it.
east in general is more interested in collectivism. look into the "three mask" system that japanese people use, it has to do with this. the "face" they put on when in public is the face of collective interest.

obviously much more strict in japan. if you're not bootkissing, you're not advancing. get your ass beat for disrespecting an elder.

>whatever else you deem worthy of discussion.
views on sexual relations are pretty funny. they got pwned by old-style western religious culture, prude as hell. around 50% of both men and women ages 20-40 in japan are virgin.
>>
>>1955513
>japanese culture is impenetrable. complete opposite of for example the USA. if you are not ethnically and culturally japanese, you are not a part of their culture.
how do we bring this to the west?
>>
>>1955530
last major attempt was germany circa 1930s-40s. if you want it in the US, vote republican.
>>
>>1955513
>japanese culture is impenetrable. complete opposite of for example the USA. if you are not ethnically and culturally japanese, you are not a part of their culture.

I know there has been some resistance to the trend but what about people like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokushin_Itt%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB

>Chiba-Dojo

1st Chiba Sadakichi Masamichi
2nd Chiba Jūtarō Kazutane
3rd Chiba Tō-ichirō Kiyomitsu
4th Chiba Tsukane
5th Chiba Hiroshi Masatane
6th Ōtsuka Yōichirō Masanori
7th Ōtsuka Ryūnosuke Masatomo

On July 1st, 2013 the head of the Chiba family, and 5th Sōke, Chiba Hiroshi gave Ōtsuka Yōichirō Masanori the title of 6th Sōke of the Hokushin Ittō-ryū Hyōhō, because he himself was elderly and not practicing his family martial art. Ōtsuka Yōichirō in turn then gave the title of 7th Sōke to Ōtsuka Ryūnosuke Masatomo (formerly known as Markus Lösch) his adopted adult foster-son on March 26th, 2016.

I mean we have a guy born in western Europe made heir of one of the most famous styles of Japanese swordsmanship
>>
>>1954764
Japan has a mainly Buddhist approach to death, in this case they don't differ a whole lot from other Buddhist nations.
I have no clue what you mean by this, sounds like orientalist horseshit to me.
>Isolationism and strict immigration policies
Between this and your last topic it sounds like you think Japan is still in the Edo period. Japan has not been isolationist for well over 150 years. Nor have their immigration policies been very strict. If you want anything more specific you'll have to ask about a particular era.
>Collective interest and the individual's role in it
Japan is actually very individualist among the East Asian nations. Where they resemble the other East Asian cultures though is the emphasis on familial duty. Rather than a larger collectivist duty the Japanese to this day still emphasize a strong duty to one's family, and that determines a lot of choices people make. Out in the larger society though, it's intensely competitive and individualistic. The Japanese are practically obsessed with ranking achievement.
Well one major difference is that in Japan seniority is given a lot more weight than in the west. In general though, politeness to one's elders is not something totally alien to the west, we just consider it very dated behavior over here. The politeness of Japanese people is connected to other social quirks unrelated to hierarchies though.

One thing not covered is that the Japanese are extremely passive. They avoid conflicts and confrontations. This is one of the reasons they tend to be very polite.
>>
>>1955597
means that within that circle they simply recognized who was most fit to take on that role, and in their opinion it was a non-japanese. I guarantee you that there are circles where this would not happen under any circumstance, and there are probably many dojos that think such a thing illegitimacizes their practices.

he would still not be treated like a japanese by a vast majority of their population. they put on a different "face" when dealing with foreigners.
>>
>>1955609
>One thing not covered is that the Japanese are extremely passive. They avoid conflicts and confrontations. This is one of the reasons they tend to be very polite.
wasn't always this way. other attitudes got bred out around seventy years ago or so.
>>
>>1955631
I am speaking mainly of contemporary Japan. If you want a historical perspective pick an era and I'll do my best.
>>
>>1955623

That is true, I know the practice of putting westerners in charge is very controversial.
>>
>>1955641
>>1955623
speaking of that a karate guy once told me that the teachers who move to the states almost always end up getting into arguments with the people back home. He thought they start adopting American values and clashing
>>
>>1955609
>I have no clue what you mean by this, sounds like orientalist horseshit to me.

It is a thing though, "honour" in japan is being "proper", if you fuck up for example, the first thing done to you, by your boss per say, is to call your family to humiliate you. That damages your "honour".
>>
>>>/int/
>>
>>1954764
Once Japanese norm is eating way better tasting and healthy food regularly instead of McDonald's and deli sandwiches
>>
>>1954764
Basically Confucianism but modern nips are too nationalistic to admit it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.