[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, how should we warn people in the far off future (10k years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 52

File: bORjN.png (469KB, 865x800px) Image search: [Google]
bORjN.png
469KB, 865x800px
So, how should we warn people in the far off future (10k years from now) to not fuck around with our nuclear or chemical waste?

Currently we use

>"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. This place is a message, and part of a system of messages. Pay attention. We are serious. Sending this message was significant for us. Ours was considered an important culture."

But it makes it sound like some there's some sort of Lovecraftian horror down there, which will make people explore the area
>>
>Nuclear/chemical waste inside enter at your own risk
>>
Why not just use

>Chemical waste dump

Instead?
>>
Alternate message

>This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!
>Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
>This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
>What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
>The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.
>The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
>The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
>The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
>The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.
>>
>>1427466
>>1427464

If civilization ends they might not be aware of the concept of "nuclear waste".
>>
Bury the waste under something hard enough that by the time they've the technology to break it, they'll have worked out atomic theory again.
>>
It's simple, we cover it in sewage.

Although in 8,000 years it might just turn to dirt.
>>
>>1427478
if they can burrow into a fucking bedrock they know what "poison" is.
>>
Those are all too complicated.

>Leave this place be.
>It is a storage place of chemical and nuclear waste.
>There is only pain here.
>It will hurt you as well.
>Dig elsewhere.

Fuck that cryptic shit, if they can understand the sign at all they'll understand hurt and pain at the very least.

Though frankly I don't think it'd stop anyone. Archeologists today would run for their shovels upon finding an ancient sign that says to fuck off. We're a curious and contrarian species, any sign at all almost guarantees an excavation. Better to leave it unmarked and hope for the best.
>>
>>1427456
Step 1: Make them incredibly inconspicuous. You'd need to really be digging to find one.

Step 2: If you do get in, they become Lovecraftian Horror Zones. Booby trapped, bizarre architecture, disturbing imagery, skeletons scattered about.
>>
>>1427776
>Archeologists today would run for their shovels upon finding an ancient sign that says to fuck off.
would be worth a couple of casualties if we found out that mayans were having problems with high intensity chemical waste or something though
>>
>>1427456
I doubt they'd be able to speak English, considering that 10k years ago pre proto-Indoeuropean was still spoken.
>>
>>1427786
Sure, but how do you cover it back up again without dying?
>>
>>1427788
The increased ease of record-keeping with the advent of the printing press and now of the internet will probably have a slowing effect on the evolution of language.
>>
>>1427793
What if the Internet collapses? It takes a lot of energy to mantain, 10k years is a lot of time to think about.
>>
>>1427456
>paint is chipped off
>this is a place of honor
>esteemed dead is commemorated here
>thing of value is buried here
>>
>>1427803
Printing has drastically slowed the mutation of languages.

Compare the difference in English between 800AD-1440AD and 1440AD-present. The former contains three different languages (Old, Middle, and technically Modern English) while the latter has slow variants of Modern English that are all mutually intelligible.

But you're right, a hundred centuries is a hell of a lot of time.
>>
>>1427790
The same way we put a concrete dome on Chernobyl I imagine.
>>
File: grimreapsmall.gif (13KB, 620x483px) Image search: [Google]
grimreapsmall.gif
13KB, 620x483px
Keep it simple
>>
>>1427456
The advent of the internet has changed the future forever.
>>
File: 1443566225122.jpg (463KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1443566225122.jpg
463KB, 853x1280px
>>1427456
Don't bother.

When enough people die going in there people will give up and assume it's cursed or whatever. Odds are if civilization fails stories about areas like that will be passed down as legends anyways.
>>
>>1427793
This is a potentially true route but alternatively it could continue roughly with the path that language is currently taking, evolving constantly and aggressively as new communities and cultures form based on all variety of things, from ethnicity to creative interests, each with their unique set of vernacular and slang, each with a different dialect, perhaps different accents, and constantly changing.

Really there isn't much saying of whether or not they'll be able to understand our language.
>>
>>1427456
>"CAUTION: The land, air and water here is poisonous. Any who enter here will die a painful death. "

And then you put a picture of a guy looking happy, and then a picture of a dead body beyond the fence. Every idiot understands what poison is, since that's something natural.
>>
>>1427776
The point of these signs isn't to stop future archeologists, it's to stop future settlement.

But I agree that >>1427471 is almost comical in how verbose it is. "THE LAND IS POISON, DON'T SETTLE HERE" should do the trick.
>>
>>1427969
holy shit, this
is that really so hard? modern safety labels are already made with children and illiterate third-worlders in mind, why would future humans be any different? if they can't add 2 and 2 to realize that HUGE NEON SKULL = BAD they deserve everything thats coming to them
>>
>>"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. This place is a message, and part of a system of messages. Pay attention. We are serious. Sending this message was significant for us. Ours was considered an important culture."
Did they actually write this? because this does nothing but making me want to open it.
>>
>>1428774
Its a list of the information the warning is supposed to convey, not the actual text of the message

Its basically pointless though, any civiliztion who doesnt already understand radiation and the dangers of it will be as hesitant cracking open that vault as Carter was cracking open king tuts tomb
>>
>>1427456
The fuck is that cryptic garbage? I could paint a clearer picture of what's going on with 30sec in paint.
>>
>>1427785
Fucking this

It'd be funny to have these places turned into spooky temples
>>
>>1427456
convince them it contains a billion snakes
>>
Why didn't you link the source you goober?
http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Well worth reading.
>>
>>1427456
Mabey you should write something along the lines

>this area is filled with radioactive waste, proceeding further will most likely make you shit out your bowels, and no a gasmask will not protect you

add it in a few more languages then you add a colourful picture of a guy walking past the sign and shitting out his bowels and then dying
>>
File: Schrodinger's Cat.jpg (259KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Schrodinger's Cat.jpg
259KB, 1280x1024px
> That one plan to genetic engineer cats so they would change their color in presence of radiation, that backed by a song about color changing cats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM
>>
File: Teletherapy_Capsule2.svg.png (43KB, 220x266px) Image search: [Google]
Teletherapy_Capsule2.svg.png
43KB, 220x266px
>>1428769
> is that really so hard?
> Goiânia accident
> Goiás, Brazilia
> radiotherapy source stolen from hospital
> some guy buys it and spread caesium-137 on concrete floor for a good luck
> 4 people died
> 219 have significant levels of radioactive material
> 112 000 people were examined for radioactive contamination
Apparently, yes. This is really so hard.

Apparently, yes.
>>
>>1428847
because signs of people shitting their bowels out have stopped us when entering various monuments around the world right?
also in 10k years every single language will be completely illegible
>>
File: NuclearWaste_1050x700.jpg (160KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
NuclearWaste_1050x700.jpg
160KB, 1050x700px
I heard people proposed to build spooky shit like that. Like... Would you want to go there.
>>
>>1428861
Could work desu, cats are like roaches, they stick around after people don't.
>>
>>1428889
TBQH yes. This plan was poorly thought out. People love spooky stuff.
>>
>>1428889
I already see a nearby tribe making it a place of initiation rites for its youth.
>>
I wonder how, if civilization were to collapse, a tribe/city cracking open a nuclear waste disposal site would impact mythology

after all, when everyone starts dying after touching the strange metals in the ancient vault made out of materials stronger than any could dream of, that's when you start suspecting ancient curses or divine punishment
>>
>>1427456
Just explain what it actually is.
>>
>>1428916
and how would you explain nuclear theory to future people's with a completely different language and an unknown level of knowledge on a medium that is guaranteed to survive as long as the bunker its stored in?
>>
>>1427456
Fuck you OP, that just makes me want to explore your ancient dungeon even more.
I bet there is some sick treasure in there.
>>
that is too verbose

>POISONED TRASH
>IT WILL KILL YOU
>IT WILL DESTROY YOUR BODY
>DAMAGE IS IRREVERSIBLE
>IT WILL MAKE THE LAND UNWORKABLE
>NO DUDE ITS LITERALLY JUST POISONED TRASH, DIG ELSEWHERE
>>
>>1428939
also put a sign in the middle saying I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU EXPECTED BUT YOU DONE IT NOW
>>
>>1427456
Warning signs with photos of people affected by nuclear radiation if for some reason English is a lost language by then.
>>
>>1428960
I've always thought a hallway filled with statues or mosaics of people melting would work well also.
>>
>>1428884
>> they deserve everything thats coming to them
>>
>>1429001
I'm pretty sure a hallway filled with statues of people melting wouldn't stop even current day archaeologists
>>
>>1429001
No art. People could potentially think it is symbolic or some shit. "Ahh these must be some story from a lost myth about and angry fire god"

Real photos of real people and symptoms.
>>
>>1427790
go inside? most of them weren't some hobos you know
>>
>>1429008
problem is how do we ensure photos actually survive that long
>>
>>1429010
nvm wrong thread lol
>>
assuming that people civilization 10,00 years from now have figured out fission, draw an image of an atom splitting, they'll get the idea.
if civilization collapses and the problem is the tribefolk, I say fuck them, they are a bunch of degenerates anyway.
>>
I don't understand why you people are using words. Who is to say people will understand english in 10k years? We should use pictures, maybe some guy standing around, then he opens the thing, then the next he is just a skelleton? Maybe a guy digging wiyh a huge red cross on top of it? Like the forbid parking signs? But it is impossible to stop people wanting to open things that are sealed, it is human nature to be curious.
>>
>>1427456

It didn't stop the brits from raiding ancient egyptian tombs. We just have to assume people that advanced would be sending robots.
>>
simple comics that show death in away anyone can related to. then a comic that shows what is buried causing death.
>>
>>1429549
This was my first thought as well. Even assuming that future people have some way to translate ancient English, mistakes and inaccuracies happen in translation happen all the time, even with languages that aren't that old or unknown. I'm just thinking of something as simple as the inscription at Thermopylae, which was written in Doric Greek and has a simultaneous written record to accompany it (Herodotus). And yet there have been endless arguments and interpretations about the exact wording and meaning of two lines of text. Also consider that the cultural meaning of symbols and even colours can degrade over time - so something that seems universal and obvious to us, like a big red cross or a skull and crossbones, might mean something totally different to people from a future culture.
>>
File: download.png (7KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7KB, 212x238px
Is it really that hard, no matter what language they speak a skull and crossbones will always be a huge sign to fuck off.
>>
>>1429600
It's not as intuitive as you might think. To us it means 'danger' or 'death', but it could just as easily be interpreted as a holy or ritual symbol, or a mark designating a burial ground or a sacred space dedicated to the dead.

>>1429578
This is probably a better system, but not foolproof.
>>
>>1427456
A big skull and maybe hang around some dead bodies impaled.
>>
>>1427456
Actually better idea, make the entrance like a themepark for kids where you explain what radiation poisoning is.
Like someone else told, make it like little tales where a normal looking person enters and then a fucked up Tokaimura-lite fella comes out.

And THEN put a lot of cancer patients impaled on rods, maybe some skulls and midshapen skulls, and at the very end you have enormous metal doors that would need 50 men to push open.

Maybe have a recorder that does spoopy noises and a few traps.
>>
FUCKING DON'T.

Or pictures of chemically burned people. Have to figure a literal picture could get the message across pretty well.
>>
>>1428889
>Not wanting to explore the spike wasteland
That plan was the work of cowards with no wonderlust.
>>
>>1429582
I think it is hard to believe skulls and bones will ever stop representing death. It is literally what happens when you die and your body degrades, how can that be spun into something positive?
>>
>>1429600

>Warnings on the sacks were in Spanish and English, not at all understood, or included the black-and-white skull and crossbones design, which meant nothing to Iraqis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Iraq_poison_grain_disaster
>>
>>1430030
it seems likely that it would just represent dead bodies
>>
Why wouldn't they already know this? They'd have to be pretty fucking retarded.

>10k years in the future
>African peasants get a transmission from ancient civilization
>be careful, nukes are explosive, have some poetry
>they laugh and go back to drawing art while riding their fusion-core powered space yacht
>>
>>1430075
it's for the post-apoc mutants
>>
>>1427456
this is not issue. In 10k humanity will be either a) so advanced that detection and removal of nuclear waste would not be a slightest problem; b) extinct

People are too stupid and curious. They will interpret literally any deterrent as "there is buried something really cool, we should dig it up" so there is no reason to bother. They will get it after they start dying.
>>
>>1430064
Yeah, and I don't know you but I'd prefer to avoid dead bodies.
>>
Have all the warnings, picture and otherwise, then have an explanation of the exact workings of radioactive poisoning, how it spreads and how to recognize it. Follow it up with a small amount of radioactive materials, with the larger deposit hidden away deeper. This way any retard tribesman will see the warnings, misunderstand/disregard them, play in the glowing slime, and die just like we said they would. Hopefully the minor deposit wouldn't be enough to wipe them all out and poison half of the continent and theyll learn their lesson before they excavate the motherload which would.

Theres no way to prevent anyone dying but honestly who gives a shit as long as they dont wipe out all of humanity.
>>
>>1427464
>>1427466
>>1428769
>>1428939
>>1429600
How is it that everyone in this thread is so retarded, they don't understand how much language, communication, and symbols can change in 10,000 years?
>>
>>1427478

They'll figure it out relatively quick.
>>
>mfw superhero comics confuse future tribes
>>
Best way to take care of something like this is to make a modern rosseta stone. In English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Cyrillic, and in pictograph form say something to the effect of "All who enter here shall have horrible deaths. Caution, radioactive materials. Keep out."
>>
>>1427804
underrated kek
>>
>>1427478
If civilization ends they might not understand your pointless monologue.

POISON DO NOT TOUCH

Seriously, you're a faggot to ridiculous levels.
>>
>>1430485
You do realize that English might not be a thing in 10,000 years? That's the entire point of the project, keeping the message intact when communication changes.
>>
>>1430485

Hey guys, make sure no poison touches this! This must be a living substance of great importance.
>>
>>1428907
Oh shit, you're right.

Speaking of which, you might want to build the container out of something with a silly high Mohs hardness.
>>
I got this you niggers.
>>
>>1430622

Look at how the ancients danced over this great elixer of youth.
>>
>>1427456
I once saw a powerpoint that addressed this.
You have no assurances that anyone in the future can read English or any other language, so the best option was to build massive evil-looking spikey obelisks and other grim and unnatural monuments to show that the land is "Cursed" somehow.
>>
Make a very realistic picture or a relief showing people dying of radiation. That would make them think.
>>
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
>>
File: 1413129626904.jpg (166KB, 620x930px) Image search: [Google]
1413129626904.jpg
166KB, 620x930px
>>1428802
You guys really aughta read the original report. Very aesthetic and actually explains the scenario unlike OP
>hurr just put a skull on it
>>
>>1428885
Are there alot of ancient drawings off people shitt out their bowels
>>
>>1429013
Print them on stone.

>>1429549
What you do is you found a monastic order dedicated explicitly to doing this.
>>
>>1430804
Name one religion or organization, much less monastic order, which has survived in a similar form for ten thousand years

Then name one as boring as "the keepers of the poison trash that was left over from our industry and power plants and now sits inert in the ground"

Ill give that order two presidential terms before everyone stops caring and leaves
>>
>>1430897
What if they get mutant powers from proximity to the stockpiles???
>>
>>1430897
What if they develop mutant powers from proximity to the stockpiles???
>>
File: Keith Thompson Four Horsemen.jpg (640KB, 1370x888px) Image search: [Google]
Keith Thompson Four Horsemen.jpg
640KB, 1370x888px
>>1427456
I will prop up a lab technician's corpse in a hazmat suit seated in a buddhist position surrounded by images of radiation death and set him up on an altar like a guardian diety guarding something that must not be fucked with.
>>
>>1430897
The Catholic Church will probably survive that amount of time.
>>
>>1427606
Why would there just be caves full of poison? You are being silly, anon. Grab your pickaxe and help me.
>>
I think the best option is to colonize space such that Earth human civilization won't collapse to the point where the English language is utterly lost.
>>
>>1430922
Are you crazy? Stuff that looks like it shouldn't be fucked with is number one on the list of things humanity fucks with.
You have to make the waste depot look really boring so people wont care.
>>
>>1431071
Very plain, boxes of grey concrete, and a few thick steel slabs engraved with a few of these >>1429578
>>
Put details into some hard-to-miss structure into Moon. If they ever can go there, they'll understand enough about scientific stuff.

Like, "This Monolith looks like a key into the carefully buried vaults you might have found in Earth. But it won't fit, because fuck off."
>>
Realistically, the best option is to place it somewhere there there has never been any history of human habitation, and bury it.

Nobody is going to find a dump that's 50 feet underground somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to be even fancier, you dig into the side of a mountain on a slight downward slope and pour concrete until you've reached the surface.

If they can get through a couple hundred feet of solid concrete, they've earned it.
>>
File: smug penguin.jpg (34KB, 297x274px) Image search: [Google]
smug penguin.jpg
34KB, 297x274px
If it's for a post-apoc civ:
>HEY
>YOU KNOW THAT STUFF THAT SHIT UP THE WORLD AND MADE YOUR LIFE TERRIBLE?
>THIS IS THAT STUFF, SO DON'T TOUCH IT RETARD
I have confidence that non post-apoc civs won't touch it
>>
>>1430897
What if we make robot guardians

>Monumental building full of pits and panoramic views
>Filled with artifacts, art and warnings
>Every room is trapped
>Has robotic guardians that look monstrous
>Spooky shit like recordings and other tricks
>Will also be very broken down by them making it even more epic/creepy
So when future explorers finally go through an epic quest to unearth it's riches we can laugh when it was actually all poison that we buried.
>>
>>1427478
They also might.
>>
File: Garbage Dump.jpg (667KB, 2500x1589px) Image search: [Google]
Garbage Dump.jpg
667KB, 2500x1589px
>>1427456
>So, how should we warn people in the far off future (10k years from now) to not fuck around with our nuclear or chemical waste?

Just build a regular, old-fashioned garbage dump over top of it.

When they go digging for priceless ancient relics and hit cheap plastic crap, they'll give up.
>>
To the people posting:

"Why don't they make an illustration showing a person go near it then get sick?"

The answer by the agencies who deal with this is that in many cultures, people read right to left or bottom up and so own, so you can never know if people in the future will perceive of that as meaning that a sick person went near the nuclear waste then got well and that's why we built this monument to it. It sounds stupid but makes total sense if you think about it.

What I thought was an interesting solution is create some kind of chamber meant to last thousands of years that holds a simple display that can play again and again a video showing what radiation does. Video is a lot better than stationary pictures for this purpose. But that means we need to invent a screen/chipset combo that can last for >10,000 years. I don't even know how you would do that.
>>
>>1427776
>There is only pain here
future metalheads will flock there
>>
>>1431353
that really doesn't work given that an intact garbage dump is literally one of the most wanted findings by modern day archaeologists
the amount of shit you can find out by digging through a civilization's trash is astonishing
>>
>>1427456
>>
What if ypu place smaller disposal sites within the vicinity with the same warning signs on each entrance, which would preferably be buried under 30 ft of soil.

That way they'll dig one up of them up, get horribly sick, and they'll know to avoid tombs with those hazard signs from then on out.

Or maybe you could excavate a bunker facility on the abyssal plain, that way they REALLY don't have to worry about low tech societies settling on top of it.
>>
If civilization is dead there are large odds that the people are descended from the people who fucked it up so I say let them irradiate themselves
>>
>>1430030
Warhammer 40K has skulls being used as symbols of humanity at it's purest
>>
>>1428802
That was cool, thanks for posting
>>
>>1428889
Yes, that looks awesome
>>
>>1429578

But people living in a post death society wouldn't be able to comprehend.
>>
>>1429578

Third one makes me feel like I can grow trees while napping if I have radiation.
>>
>>1432143
>>>/b/
>>
>>1431287
I like this idea
>>
>>1431391
What if we make it going inside out? Like a circle? Scene A is some guy standing around, scene B is repeated all around it and it is the guy digging down or opening the bunker or whatever, and scene C is again repeated surrounding scene B and is the guy dead.
>>
>>1428884
>Brazil
>>
>>1428802
>http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/
puzzling and yet evident, how the human works to preserve its voice, against its greatest limit.
>>
>>1427509
solid interlacing layers of tungsten, stainless steel, and AlO3 slabs? sandwiched in between these 3 in thick slabs is pocketed globules of VX, the bubonic plague, Hydroflouric acid and other nice tings.
>>
File: 1410390489292.jpg (455KB, 2448x4152px) Image search: [Google]
1410390489292.jpg
455KB, 2448x4152px
>>1427858
You're not fooling ME, skeleton.
>>
>>1427525
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-lived_fission_product
You imbecile, most of these fission products have a half life of more than 200,000 years. that means almost half millennium of continuous radiation.
>>
>>1428889
>>1428885
>>1428847
>>1428779
>>1428769

obviously the answer is to make the place so inaccessible that once people enter it, they die due to getting lost, injury, or starving. That would deter the fuck out of more people coming.
>>
>>1431843
this is actually smart. give em a lil taste of radio active death, and they'll avoid similar sites in the future.
>>
>>1430030
My ooga booga tribe uses bones and skulls as symbols of eternal wisdom

Just saying
>>
Build a giant mecha and bury it
>>
File: skullmountain.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
skullmountain.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>1427456
I always thought that the idea of a gigantic skull carved out of a mountain would send a pretty damn clear message to any future people not to fuck with the place where death is.
>>
>>1432490
Nah that would just make them curious about what could so valuable that so much effort went into defending it.

The real answer is to combine warnings with very limited efforts to actually prevent entry
>>
File: ManInMoon_Caxete_2770.jpg (488KB, 2770x1848px) Image search: [Google]
ManInMoon_Caxete_2770.jpg
488KB, 2770x1848px
>>1427456
>nuclear or chemical waste?
What if we store them on the moon?

Nobody could fuck with them there
>>
>>1432583
Because of the ridiculous cost of getting it there and the unacceptable danger of a launch failure scattering large amounts of waste into the atmosphere
>>
>>1432569
>skull mountain
>not containing treasure
>>
File: radioactivity is a friend.jpg (923KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
radioactivity is a friend.jpg
923KB, 1200x1200px
Teach by moe.
>>
File: oopsies.jpg (113KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
oopsies.jpg
113KB, 1080x600px
>>1432455
Does get to the point where it'd be cheaper to send the stuff on a rocket into the sun.

A hundred feet of concrete should do the job at a reasonable price. Sure, eventually they'll have the tech to discover there's a chamber way down there, but by then they'll also likely have an understanding of radiation.

Not that it's a huge deal. Uranium happens in nature and kills off a village attached to contaminated well every now and again. It's not as if the stuff is going to get up and start hunting people down... You know, unless... Rad Ghouls, or something.
>>
>>1431391
you can sort of alleviate it by putting another illustration on top that only makes sense if read in a certain direction and shows a passage of time in a way humanity can relate to

perhaps a 5 tile engraving of a baby, a child, an adult, an old man and a corpse each numbered by the increase of a symbol above it from 1 to 5 (as using actual arabic numerals wouldn't necessarily convey meaning)
>>
File: bait_holes.jpg (102KB, 540x530px) Image search: [Google]
bait_holes.jpg
102KB, 540x530px
>>1427456
>"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. This place is a message, and part of a system of messages. Pay attention. We are serious. Sending this message was significant for us. Ours was considered an important culture.
Whoever was the asshole who came up with this was clearly a master baiter.

Toxic / Poison in as many languages as possible would have been simpler and more effective. This just screams "something important is hidden here."

Meh, hopefully we find a use for the stuff that eliminates it... Rather than just spreading it all over hostile foreigners via A-10's.
>>
>>1431664
>shit
Literally
>>
>>1433593
well finding period-accurate stool samples gives an ungodly amount of information regarding a population's dietary habits and even health levels
>>
File: 719f84915d65bb7bb3b4fccfc2fdce90.jpg (455KB, 1555x1596px) Image search: [Google]
719f84915d65bb7bb3b4fccfc2fdce90.jpg
455KB, 1555x1596px
>>1427456
It is kinda odd we don't just dump this into the Mariana Trench.

I mean, by the time anyone can get down there, they'll know what the shit is - considering WE can't get down there.
>>
>>1433614
because the Mariana Trench is an incredibly geologically active region so we'd have very little control over where it actually ends up
not to mention its also an ecosystem, a very rare one, which we don't want to destroy

compound this with how difficult it'd actually be to get the radioactive materials down there and its not a good solution
>>
File: kolaholerussia.jpg (16KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
kolaholerussia.jpg
16KB, 400x267px
>>1433625
I don't think there's an ecosystem down there (or at least, we've gotten deep enough to see where there is no ecosystem.) Currents also aren't a thing down there - though you may have a point on the geological activity front.

I think we have some very deep holes we could use though.
>>
>>1433633
there is in fact an ecosystem within the challenger deep
one that is obviously poorly understood given the difficulty in actually reaching that place but it exists
>>
>>1433581
>Whoever was the asshole who came up with this was clearly a master baiter.
Or they were general messages meant to be conveyed through non-written means as part of a tiered system of information.
>>
>>1433662
That'd be a horrifically complicated message to write out in pictures.
>>
File: 8Kdeep_snailfish.jpg (219KB, 1280x911px) Image search: [Google]
8Kdeep_snailfish.jpg
219KB, 1280x911px
>>1433651
Those damn mother fuckers...
>>
>"If you enter, you will die"
If there was some cryptic threatening message before the chamber of a pharaon tomb, that wouldn't stop people from wanting to see what's inside.
>>
>>1432534
Yeah then the people who find it can use it to ward off the invasion of the people on the moon
>>
Leave a sample of radioactive material on the door handle.
>>
File: 1468365536568.gif (2MB, 634x819px) Image search: [Google]
1468365536568.gif
2MB, 634x819px
>>1428802
>ray cats
>>
File: fish.jpg (44KB, 479x317px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
44KB, 479x317px
>skulls and bones can be misinterpreted guys
>use cryptic poetry in english instead
>>
>>1433686
Not messages as in able to be transcribed verbatim but much more impressionistic, not just conveyed in pictures but by alterations to the landscape, structures, tablets. More specific information forms the upper tiers.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 460x690px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 460x690px
>you dun goofed
>consequences will never be the same
>>
>>1433919
>sea snipper
>>
>>1433576
I say, literally make an entrance as easy as possible for people to get in; eventually they will learn.
>>
>>1429578
>Hey, look, these guys invented a thing that lets you chill right next to the trees while they grow super fast!
>>
"this place is cursed by the pharao"
well we opened that...so
>>
File: DanBackslide-312682_480_360.jpg (50KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DanBackslide-312682_480_360.jpg
50KB, 480x360px
Why not dig it as deep underground as possible and put no monument over it.

That way no one even suspects anything.
>>
just have a picture of a fat neckbeard diarrhea pooping skulls and shit.
Aint no one want to see that
>>
>>1427456
"Prolapse ahead"
This way only people that deserve to get rekt will.
>>
"Go ahead and dig it up, see if I care"
>>
>>1429578
Reading from bottom to top it looks like touching the sacred stones cures your cancer
>>
File: fallout 4 radiation.png (23KB, 480x196px) Image search: [Google]
fallout 4 radiation.png
23KB, 480x196px
>DANGER
>underground nuclear waste storage
>this land will kill you, do not enter

Maybe add an explicit pictogram like pic related.

If any words survive, "danger" will. People will know that's bad. The second line describes what it is in case the future culture isn't full retard. Third line explains it in simple words. I don't see why you'd need anything else.
>>
>>1433983
The fear for our current system is that a lot of deposits aren't buried particularly deep, and if you live on top of the burial site all your people will die.
If you were digging really deep, I suppose you'd have to worry about miners breaking into the site.
>>
>>1431204
>Guys! I I found some weird concrete pillar, wanna find out what's at the base of it?
>>
>>1434039
I don't think any speck of English language will survive in 10,000 years.
>>
>>1434094
There's really no way of predicting that.

But if this sign survives at all, there are probably other signs saying "danger" that survived.
>>
Just put it somewhere no one will want to live, artic, middle of the desert, etc
>>
Okay new suggestion:

Abuse our modern knowledge to create the most unsettling possible setting that almost no one would ever enter.

Sound frequencies, visual and perceptional illusions, sensorial deprivation, kinetic and balance disturbances, luminous disturbanced, visually disturbing imagery, outright jumpscaring people with machinery, maybe even hallucinogens and other evil things.
>>
>>1434104
In 10K years they might be places that people do wanna live in.
>>
>>1434104
And what if those areas are no longer Arctic or deserts in 10,000 years?

Or what if Arctic and deserts are desirable places to live in 10k years?
>>
There is not even a way to tell today’s people to fuck off and leave this kind of stuff alone. Ask the Russians. They put warning signs around Chernobyl . They even guard the area. but some dumb-nut criminals still go there. Steal radioactive stuff and sell it.
>>
>>1427456
>all these people worried about fringe scenarios, like people decinding to settle in remote areas, or not understanding basic pictograms

At a certian point, you just have to let natural selection takes it's course. If future retards decide to ignore all the warnings and then die, then the gene pool is better off without them.
>>
>>1428769
>It's just a quaint superstition the ancients had. They think a curse protects the bodies of the presidents buried here. Ignore it, and break out the sticks, there's probably valuable copper down there!
>>
>Implying you could stop them from opening it

We're curious fuckers, we'll do it anyway. All the warnings will just entice us to know what exactly is so dangerous.
>>
>>1427456
>>1427471
I lol'd at this.

It sounds like a civilized perdon trying to explain a complex issue to a Indian with Down Syndrome.
>>
File: 99373800.jpg (269KB, 1024x537px) Image search: [Google]
99373800.jpg
269KB, 1024x537px
>>1434098
he's right though

Language 500 years removed is barely legible. By 12,016 CE it will be more alien to the average person than hieroglyphs are to us, which isn't even half that time removed. It would be the equivalent to PIE: only known by a few linguistic specialists (assuming that their society is enlightened enough to have such occupations).

pictographs seem like the appropriate option, considering that we have no idea what kind of language they spook 44,000 years ago but we can look at their paintings on cave walls and figure out what they were thinking about. Our best bet would be buried anonymously in a concrete bunker in the most remote place possible, leaving as few clues to its presence as possible, and pictographs explaining in detail that nothing valuable is down there, but it is dangerous.
>>
>>1428884
I always get the chills when I read about the little girl eating and playing with that shit.
>>
>>1434080
Bury it in central Antarctica. Even we don't have mines there now.
>>
>>1435101
because drilling for oil is illegal
you think, if we can't drill for oil, somehow we're going to store nuclear waste?

also storing nuclear waste in ICE is a supremely terrible idea
>>
File: stirner1.png (9KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
stirner1.png
9KB, 640x400px
>>1435034
>we have no idea what kind of language they spook
>>
>>1435034
That's assuming civilisation collapses now and never recovers.

In a civilised setting where people are literate, language remains mostly stable.
>>
>>1427858
i really hope its intentional that it looks like the reaper is giving the finger
>>
File: beo_b_05.gif (5KB, 452x263px) Image search: [Google]
beo_b_05.gif
5KB, 452x263px
>>1435951
>That's assuming civilisation collapses now and never recovers.
Actually, the opposite: it assumes that civilization never collapses, at least not in the classical way that we think of civilizations rising and falling.

But look at this pic: it's Old English. There was never any cataclysmic collapse, it's just the way that language naturally drifts over time. Can you even decipher a single word?

This website here has a linguistics Ph.D invent his own version of what English might sound like in the year 3,000 CE
http://jbr.me.uk/futurese.html
>2000 AD: We children beg you, teacher, that you should teach us to speak correctly, because we are ignorant and we speak corruptly…
>3000 AD:Zᴀ kiad w’‐exùn ya tijuh, da ya‐gᴀr’‐eduketan zᴀ da wa‐tᴀgan lidla, kaz ’ban iagnaran an wa‐tᴀg kurrap…

Now multiply those differences ten times over. The differences in English by 12,000 AD will be so stark that they will be essentially be far, far removed daughter languages.
>>
>>1430411
Just put a big ol skull on there. Skulls never go out of style.
>>
>>1427858
If you put the reaper on there they're just gonna confuse him for a weird looking farmer.
>>
File: 2qxnv9w.jpg (68KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
2qxnv9w.jpg
68KB, 640x370px
>>1433865
Just look at the fucking SS. Some edgy warrior culture is guaranteed to think of the skull as a holy symbol if they revert back to tribal savages. Or maybe they think of it as a grave or whatever. Skull only works cause or culture is afraid of death, not necessarily the case in the future.

>>1434203
Hey lets produce some some shit that poisons the environment for centuries. If we blow up the world because of some fucking island in the south china see or whatever fuck the people having to clean up the mess for centuries.

I think what would be a good idea is to stress the waste aspect. With a lot of effort going into securing the site people WILL get the idea there is something valuable. Maybe put a field of trash that is in no way reusable on the top. Put a small ammount of sealed radioactive waste beneath that. If they crack the containers of the first layer open they will learn their lesson and learn what the symbols mean. Beneath the first layer of atomic waste put another layer of worthless trash and beneath that the well secured atomic waste.
>>
>>1436449
Edgy warrior cultures tend to choose the deathshead specifically because it implies death/violence in some fashion tho
>>
>>1436473

> Look there is the symbol of our god, here must be his palace.

> Look the symbol of violence, finally we have found the weapons of the ancients.
>>
>>1436491
Well if it's a nuclear weapons dump they wouldn't be wrong on one account huh?
>>
>>1436491
>Find God's palace
>Go inside
>Hair starts falling out, people puking, collapsing, sores forming on bodies
>Sheeeit guess we really did intrude on God's home
>>
>>1434106
Then people would just get curious why those things are happening
>>
>>1436449
>Or maybe they think of it as a grave or whatever.
That seems likely to me.
>>
>>1434106
The trick to that would be figuring out how to keep the machinery etc from breaking down between now and how ever many thousands of years later we're talking about people finding the stuff.
>>
File: 1zzqtq9.jpg (913KB, 1599x861px) Image search: [Google]
1zzqtq9.jpg
913KB, 1599x861px
>>1436503
Would be the same as nuclear waste. They would have no way of using them and most likely crack open the rockets.

>>1436508
>We found magic poison
>you have been chosen by god fellow tribesman
>we will honor your sacrifice
>now go and pour the poison into their river

>>1436555
I actually see a shitload of ways a skull would be counterproductive. You don´t need a lot of curiosity to imagine a dozen scenarios where a skull peaks their interest.

>>1436560
Not possible. You can´t account for natural disaster or humans fucking it up purposely
>>
>>1429578
rRubbish. What if the future civ reads from bottom to top? What if they think the guy is relaxing next to his treasure and not dying?
>>
>>1436593
>now go and pour the poison into their river

Alright I'm willing to settle with you that they might believe they'd found a great treasure but fucking no civilization is dumb enough to poison their own water supply like that. You have to give these people some credit.
>>
>>1436597
>>1436593

If we keep making the assumption that future people will be complete morons unable to understand basic symbols then this whole exercise is pointless.
>>
>>1436593
Actually a more plausible response is that they start sending virgins down as a sacrifice.
>>
>>1436612
Reading direction is completely dependent on culture. You really could read this from bottom to top. The guy doesn't even look that unwell.
>>
>>1436602
Or spread it at their campsite or their lake or whatever you can think off. If they have no deeper understanding of what they have found or their ecosystem shit is going to hit the fan.

>>1436612
If i wouldn´t be biased by knowledge i would most likely think a skull just represents a place where dead people are burried. We are talking about a 10 millenia. Maybe we have fiddled with biological engineering and after civilization crashed our descendenats have skulls that look different.

>>1436613
Maybe, maybe not but there would be a cultural impact and that would be dangerous.
>>
>>1427471
>The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.
>The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
>The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
>The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
I'm just saying, but if I was a warlord in some sort of nightmarish post-collapse future, I'd totally force slaves to dig up that place so I could use the deadly energy against my enemies.
>>
File: 2rg2f6c.jpg (113KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
2rg2f6c.jpg
113KB, 716x960px
>>1436657
>I'm just saying, but if I was a warlord in some sort of nightmarish post-collapse future, I'd totally force slaves to dig up that place so I could use the deadly energy against my enemies.

This. Pronouncing the deadly effects brings problems of its own.
>>
File: dead01.gif (5KB, 300x607px) Image search: [Google]
dead01.gif
5KB, 300x607px
>>1427456
First of all, put the waste somewhere people wouldn't bother going anyway. The middle of a desert, the bottom of the ocean, something remote. Then make the place hard to get to. Surround it with earthworks and rock that are hard to get past, but don't necessarily seem manmade either. Make sure the materials used are worthless so no one tries to take them away or loot them. Make sure it doesn't really draw attention and just seems like an unimportant place that's not worth going to.

Past that, have warnings written in every language, as well as communicated in pictographs and images. Then a big barrier that prevents anyone from getting in. Now that they know it's manmade, make it absolutely clear that what's inside is really dangerous and not useful or interesting in any way, it's just hazardous garbage.

Of course, that won't stop them. The next thing to do is make the actual place as terrifying as possible so that anyone who's dumb enough to ignore the warnings chickens out before reaching the waste. Make it a big, enclosed area that's dark 24/7, humans are instinctually afraid of the dark. Build it so infrasounds play through the area, they instinctually cause humans to feel fear and unease. Make the air inside Carbogen, a mix of 70% oxygen and 30% Carbon Dioxide that makes people feel dread and anxiety. Make the inside hot and uncomfortable, make the ground out of sharp rocks and oil. Make it the most uncomfortable, forbidding place anyone can possibly go.

Finally, make it extremely difficult to reach the waste. Before dumping it, encase the pit you're dumping it into with metal. Then after you're finished dumping, seal the pit with a metal lid. No unga bunga tribe is going to have the tech to break open the giant metal box, if they even manage to dig down far enough to find it. If they ARE advanced enough to break it open, they can probably figure out that the warnings are telling them not to.

If all else fails, let natural selection sort them out.
>>
>>1427456
If there's one thing I've learned about humanity, it's that there is NOTHING sufficient to stop human curiosity. No warning is serious enough, no tale cautionary enough, no consequence lethal enough. If there's something out there we don't know about, we're going to have a look at it one way or the other, and probably try sticking our dick in it, too.

If you want to keep toxic waste away from the people of the future, just go to the bottom of an undersea trench and bury it beneath the seafloor. Any civilization advanced enough to make it down there, detect the waste, and dig it up is probably smart enough to know what the waste is, and not to do that.
>>
File: butcanwefuckit.png (19KB, 1331x191px) Image search: [Google]
butcanwefuckit.png
19KB, 1331x191px
>>1436755
This. If post apocalypse future-men found something we left behind, they'd try to fuck it. It's human nature. The only way to stop them is to make it so they can't get to it.
>>
>>1436784
Maybe create an actual toxic environment. Spread some actual nuclear waste, create toxic lakes spewing poisonous Gas sometimes. Find as many poisonous animals that could survive there and create a habitate for them. Just a place where nothing of value is and where humans can't survive or even stay long. Somwhere there you completly hide the waste and secure it very well. Print the Symbols on it if they ever find it but placing it hidden in nopeland would be more of effective. Best continent to place this would be australia. Isolated and not connected to another continent.
>>
I honestly think that no matter what you label it as people will still go in and dig it up.
At least until everyone who goes in dies of course.
Just human curiosity desu.
>>
>>1427456
>So, how should we warn people in the far off future (10k years from now) to not fuck around with our nuclear or chemical waste?

Seeing as language and symbols may be an issue I think the best and simplest way would be to make a lot of imitation dead animal and human corpses which don't rot and skeletons too. Just leave them scattered around the place in contorted positions of agony.

Anyone that can't associate the most obvious and trans-cultural symbol of death really would be mentally retarded and deserving of death in any post-apocalyptic world.
>>
>>1436950
Why wouldn't they believe we were making art to commemorate a great sacrifice to a deity? Or illustrating the results of a plague that whichever sacred thing the statues are above cured?
>>
>>1436294
the Norman invasion was the cataclysmic collapse. of anglo-saxon culture.
>>
>>1433919
>Tumblr
boi
>>
>>1433633
Currents aren't a thing NOW, but when & if radioactivity is concentrated enough to warm the water? Then there WILL be currents: of radioactive water.
>>
>>1429578
>>1430474
These. Add some pictures of atoms and shit showing the atomic number etc. If someone educated comes across it then they might be able to decipher the message.

>>1436634
Then put a fucking arrow showing the direction you're supposed to read in. It's not rocket surgery.

What's the big deal anyway? Who gives a flying fuck if some moron ignores all the obvious warnings and drops dead from radiation? His death will serve as warning to the others.
>>
>>1427456
Line the areas with crushed human skulls and put up pictographs showing people digging down and becoming ill--vomiting, hair falling out, bleeding, passing out, the whole nine yards--then show when they die someone crushing their skulls and filling in the holes they dug with the pieces.

Honestly, if they don't get the message at that point, it's their own fault if they get killed.
>>
>>1436784
Would you?
>>
>>1436818
>create toxic lakes spewing poisonous Gas sometimes.

I can't wait for the inevitable toxic winds to carry a toxic cloud to rain toxic water and make a great toxic flood in human settlements.
>>
>>1427858
>Ha, what a bunch of superstitious idiots, thinking this big bunker is evil
>>
>>1437368
How do they know the arrow is the direction to read in and not a signpost telling them where danger or safety or whatever else is?
>>
>>1436818
>prevent people from being harmed by harming people
Brilliant.
>>
>>1431391
make it holographic
>>
File: viewmaster.jpg (44KB, 634x402px) Image search: [Google]
viewmaster.jpg
44KB, 634x402px
>>1431391
>we need to invent a screen/chipset combo that can last for >10,000 years

here's my prototype
>>
>Danger, go away
No write a whole book.
>>
>>1437767
>killing some people if they fail to pick up the warnings around the toxic area instead of giving them Access to
something that harms them and their environment for thousands of years

>>1437702
First of all you do it somwhere without settlements. Might be a problem if the Wind spreads it, so just poison the lake. If you can't drink the Water and people slowly die there, the people of the future will soon learn not to go there regardless of their savagery.
>>
>>1436294
>But look at this pic: it's Old English. There was never any cataclysmic collapse, it's just the way that language naturally drifts over time. Can you even decipher a single word?
Are you kidding?

That language was wiped out when England was conquered by French people who spoke French for 350 years and then created a whole new language out of French and Old English. That's what English is. Not to mention all this happened long before there was significant literacy.

Languages in civilised countries have barely evolved at all in the last 500 years, and have remained essentially identical in the last 200 or so since literacy became widespread. Language no longer evolves beyond adding some slang here or there because nowadays everyone learns it reading books 50, 100, 150 years old or more.
>>
>>1427478
How do we warn people of ICBMs if they survive our current civilisation?
>>
they will ignore any warnings in the belief it contains a great treasure

the best option is to have a giant stone cog door that can be rolled open then closed again when they discover everyone who enters the chamber dies horribly, the warnings were true and there is no treasure
>>
>>1430765
Where can I find more pictures of this awesome as fuck skeleton in a suit of armor?
>>
Signs with skulls, that pic with the bar and the hand melting away, and other kinds of signs that say 'This shit'll fuck you up'.
Of course, this is if there's an actual route to it, in which the signs are clearly visible.
If civilization has been fucked up to the point we don't even know about chemical/nuclear waste, they probably won't speak our language.
>>
>>1428802
>In 1990, the federal government invited a group of geologists, linguists, astrophysicists, architects, artists, and writers to the New Mexico desert, to visit the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. They would be there on assignment.

This is some Watchmen type of shit
>>
>>1437750
Because they would have to be terminally retarded to ignore the obvious progression of events in the comic + the arrow (or hand pointing or whatever).

1. Guy sees CLOSED container
2. Guy removes lid from container and sets it aside
3. Guy drops to the ground in obvious agony with the container OPEN and the lid set aside

Someone else in the thread said it earlier: If we assume that the people of the future are drooling retards, then there's little we can do for them. We have to operate on the assumption that they're clever enough to decipher a simple pictogram.
>>
>>1438133
The point is to convey why they really shouldn't go in because the danger is still a threat.

>>1439224
The problem is that skulls may have a totally different meaning thousands of years into the future. People might mistake it for some sort of burial site and try to rob it, for example.
>>
this >>1429612
They might start sending people down there as sacrifices.
>>
>>1428941
>
haha
>>
Check out this article. It talks about the hard work of preparing something for a future civilization we can't predict. Might answer your question http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/05/14/_99_percent_invisible_by_roman_mars_designing_warning_symbols_for_the_nation.html
>>
Play Nickelback when people come near
>>
>>1439286
So we have three pictograms and an arrow. Closed container and regular man, man in the process of touching the lid, open container and man in agony. Plus an arrow.

So how can we assume they won't interpret it as
1. Guy is in agony with an open container
2. When he has gained enough strength, he stsnds up and closes it.
3. Normal guy standing up
With an arrow pointing to where they can find this miraculous healing substance.

It's not about the reader being able or NT being able to understand the photos individually, but being able to unambiguously understand the full message. The people in 10000 years might be stupid cavepeople equivalents, they might be super advanced, who knows? Cleverness is not the problem, it's information transmission.
>>
What if you just bury it in the midst of a uranium deposit. The Australian aboriginese had tales of a land which they avoided because the rocks there made them sick, and when we finally found this area it was actually an open air uranium deposit.

If a group of people whom never learned to make fire or connect sex with pregnancy on their own can learn to avoid openly irradiated areas, why can't we expect future generations to do so also?

Plus if it's in the midst of a natural uranium deposit they'd probably get irradiated either way.
>>
>>1439399
>Fire
Meme by writers who didn't know what the fuck they were talking about
>Pregnancy
Literally one tribe being misinterpreted
>>
File: 1346872174023.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1346872174023.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>1439414
>40,000 year old continuous civilisation
>Most noteworthy inventions: a stick
>>
>>1439395
So make an additional picture showing the guy walking towards container. If they think he walked backwards, they deserve poisoning.
>>
>>1439530
>see nuclear waste
>turn 360 degrees
>walk away
>>
>>1433614
>Matterhorn
>Alps peak

jesus christ
>>
>>1439530
>If they think he walked backwards, they deserve poisoning.
Holy relics often have completely arbitrary rituals associated with them. Which way you walk around a in church, for example, in certain Orthodox circles. Why is "always face the healing power" such a ridiculous conclusion for them to make, given that?
>>
>>1439395
>>1439639
Like I said, if we assume they're morons then they're fucked.

>but how do we know they won't read it backwards
We don't. We can make a clear order of events in the comic and indicate that it's supposed to be read in a specific order to the best of our abilities.
If they ignore or misinterpret this somehow, then they're dead. Too bad for them.
>>
>>1433614
>WE can't get down there.

excuse me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste
>>
>>1439366
I noticed you posted a link from a confirmed clickbait site. Let me help you with that, simply go to archive.is and insert the link and it will cleanse it for you like so.

http://archive.is/tFo4Z
>>
>>1439651
>to the best of our abilities
The entire process is the "to the best of our abilities." Throwing up your arms and saying fuck it is not.

Besides, again it is not about them bring stupid, but about them potentially having zero context for our thought processes.
>>
drop all nuclear weapons on the Middle East right now
all nations unite and drop every last bomb, no more problems
>>
>>1439668
I don't see you suggesting anything better.
We can

- Show a certain order of events in the comic
- Use arrows/pointing hands to indicate the direction you are supposed to read in
- Use pictures that obviously show the individual in the comic is in pain/dead

Now are you going to say
>But what if they read it backwards even though we did everything in our power to make them read it a certain way!?!?
or are you going to provide us with some useful ideas?
>>
>>1439668
This. Holy shit.

>>1439651
Just because we can come up with some sort of pictograph that would make almost perfect sense to over 90% of the world's population, there may come a point in time where people who'd stumble on this site have zero understanding of the context modern humans are trying to convey.

I can look at a set of Egyptian hieroglypics and their accompanying illustrations, and have no clue what was trying to be explained.
>>
>>1439379
Haha ebin dude : 》
>>
File: clip_image006.jpg (62KB, 591x392px) Image search: [Google]
clip_image006.jpg
62KB, 591x392px
>>1438482
>Are you kidding?
Save the saltiness for /b/ or /pol/. /his/ should not be a place where we shame each other for getting educated.

>England was conquered
Yes, ruling cliques periodically go bankrupt and face hostile takeover from another clique that is still solvent and the new rules imposed on the labor force include language adjustments. This is a natural and normal part of history and expecting it to never happen again in the next 10,000 years is utterly lacking in historical scale.

Here's a picture of middle English, which takes place well after your "cataclysmic" regime change incident, still showing how much language changes without any help from anybody.

>barely evolved at all in the last 500 years
Far, far smaller scale than what's being proposed.

>Language no longer evolves beyond adding some slang here or there
But that's always how languages have always evolved, at extremely small increments difficult to detect on the scale of a single human lifespan, or even over several human generations. But 100 generations? 200 generations? that's an incredibly vast amount of time, The United States is the world's oldest continuously existing regime and it's not even 10 generations old, and look how much English has changed since then.

>because nowadays everyone learns it reading books 50, 100, 150 years old or more.
No, they learn it in a classroom using reading material strictly geared for their level of physiological development. In their literature classes they are taught the historical significance of certain works using primers and study guides that help them understand the archaic language being used, which was intended for a much less distracted audience deprived of visual sensory input and thus had a lot of time to read lengthy descriptions and sit there visualizing them. Modern novels are told with far more sophisticated narrative devices which are light on description, light on flowery prose, and long on plot and character development.
>>
>>1439709
For example, someone mentioned putting the images in concentric circles, with them becoming more dire towards the center of the facility. What are the pros of such an approach? What are the cons?
>>
>>1439719
>Just because we can come up with some sort of pictograph that would make almost perfect sense to over 90% of the world's population, there may come a point in time where people who'd stumble on this site have zero understanding of the context modern humans are trying to convey.
Right. Just like how it's impossible for a normal person to interpret a cave painting of men throwing spears at animals.

>I can look at a set of Egyptian hieroglypics and their accompanying illustrations, and have no clue what was trying to be explained.
Many Egyptian paintings are easily understandable. The ones that aren't are depicting myths and various rituals.
>>
>>1439709
Not that dude, but I think it'll have to be a combination of the main ideas presented in this article

http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm
>>
>>1427793
It's not like we're spinnin fresh memes and changin shit up all in here kek.
>>
>>1439730
I've had to read 300 year old books in school, and there is barely a difference with modern day language. Even in America I'm pretty sure they read Dickens and even Shakespeare.

The only way we stop reading 18th century books is if civilisation collapses and people lose the ability to read and write.
>>
>>1427785
>Come to me. You will gain what you deserve. Your wish will soon come true. Come to me. Your path is ending. Come to me. Only one will be rewarded.
>The Wish Granter
I now want a short story where it's a S.T.A.L.K.E.R world, and our protagonist breaks into a nuclear storage facility just to die by visions, able to reach the end thanks to his dead comrades.
>>
>>1439735
Much of this shit has already been discussed and a lot of it is very stupid.

>"Something man made is here" written near the entrance
Cool. Let's explore.

>Something man made it here and it's dangerous
Sounds interesting!

>Tons of detailed info inside near the actualy shit you want them to stay away from
Lmao I can't understand all this shit. Might as well just excavate and interpret this crap later.

>crazy spike fields and creepy obelisks
Any archaeologist would immediately cream their jeans and go running to find grant money for a dig.

It's far more sensible to

1. Stick that shit in an old salt mine
2. Fill it with concrete and rebar
3. Leave some warnings etc. just inside
4. Collapse the entrance so getting inside at all is difficult

Anyone who manages to get past the front door finds a series of both simplistic and detailed warnings telling them to fuck off. This includes a Rosetta stone type thing, scientific information, and simple pictograms.
>>
>>1439734
>Right. Just like how it's impossible for a normal person to interpret a cave painting of men throwing spears at animals.
I think it's much easier to explain the concept of the spear to modern man compared to explaining concepts of radioactivity to a medieval French peasant, for example.

>Many Egyptian paintings are easily understandable. The ones that aren't are depicting myths and various rituals.
I just went through an image search and can not definitively tell you the context of any of the pictures. Most of them seem to be rituals anyway, and the thought of some magic container killing or healing someone immediately could easily be taken into a supernatural context
>>
>>1439783
>hurr durr that sucks
>I still have no suggestions though, but fuck you
>>
>>1439789
You're awfully salty. The advantage having a lot spikes is that the logistics of digging through that site would be much harder.
>>
>>1439827
The logistics of digging through reinforced concrete and solid steel barriers are pretty difficult too. Leaving weird obelisks is just a way to attract curious individuals.

>still no suggestions of your own
>>
File: Venus_von_Willendorf_01.jpg (591KB, 1428x2684px) Image search: [Google]
Venus_von_Willendorf_01.jpg
591KB, 1428x2684px
>>1439751
>I've had to read 300 year old books in school,
>in school
In other words, you needed a rigorous academic setting to get you to read and understand them as part of a wider historical narrative and probably wouldn't reach for those kinds of books in your spare time unless you are a rare enthusiast of classical literature.

>and there is barely a difference with modern day language.
I'm talking about keeping an appropriate sense of scale. 300 years is tiny compared to 10,000. We would expect the changes to be tiny so that if we were talking about people in 2316 CE being able to read and understand the stuff, that's not too much of a stretch. Even in, say, 2713 CE we might still expect people to have a rough idea of the language they're looking at when they see stuff we wrote.

but 10,000 years is almost triple the amount of time between now and when the Great Pyramid of Giza was built. And going back even further, we can look at a 40,000 year old ivory figurine and figure out what it is and what was on their mind even if we don't have the words that they themselves would have used to describe it.
>>
Make it an extremely deep shaft that just goes straight downwards, and perhaps fill it with water that'd be poisonous, Perhaps make a big hill arund it, so it's like a crater. Sure it's mystic and shit but after the first one dies from drinking it no one is going to go there.

I've never heard of a human culture that associated undrinkable water with good things.
>>
>>1439956
But if you're going to make an obstacle filled with undrinkable water why not just use the undrinkable water that you're trying to store?
>>
>>1439998
Because the undrinkable water you're trying to store will spread everywhere.
After reading one of the sites linked above, I like this idea.

"Black Hole": A masonry slab, either of black Basalt rock, or black-dyed concrete, is an image of an enormous black hole; an immense nothing; a void; land removed from use with nothing left behind; a useless place. It both looks uninhabitable and unfarmable, and it is, for it is exceedingly hot part of the year. Its blackness absorbs the desert's high sun-heat load and radiates it back. It is a massive effort to make a place that is fearful, ugly, and uncomfortable.

>The heat of this black slab will generate substantial thermal movement. It should have thick expansion joints in a pattern that is irregular, like a crazy-quilt, like the cracks in parched land. And the surface of the slab should undulate so as to shed sand in patterns in the direction of the wind.
>>
>>1440013
I think anything that sophisticated is just asking for people to come and investigate.

The reason why Egyptians stopped building pyramids is because turning your mausoleum into a gigantic tower was like holding up a massive sign advertising for robbers to come and strip the place bare of all the valuables stored within. They began building them in remote, hard to reach places like the valley of the kings where people were less likely to go unless they had a specific reason to go and even then only a handful of small, unimportant, unadvertised tombs remained by the modern era. The reason King Tut's tomb was discovered intact was because of how minor and unimportant he was and people quickly forgot that his tomb existed until we started specifically digging around looking for them using modern archaeological methodologies.

I think a better option would be to make the entrance as obscure and difficult to locate as possible, indistinguishable from any other cave entrance in the area, and so deep that nobody would go down there unless they specifically knew what they were looking for, while leaving pictograms informing any body who by some miracle stumbles upon it that the only thing down there is dangerous garbage of zero value.
>>
>>1439904
So? What relevance does that have unless we return to the stone age?
>>
File: Michelangelos_David.jpg (173KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Michelangelos_David.jpg
173KB, 1200x1600px
>>1440283
>So? What relevance does that have unless we return to the stone age?
That 10,000 years is far, far too large a period of time for us to reasonably project what the language might eventually look like, but pictographs and visual representations are something that literally any body can figure out even separated by tens of millennia.

There was a serious study of this phenomenon by early cinema pioneers when they found that people regardless of culture associated two shots of a man's face and then an empty bowl as giving the impression of hunger. There's a technical term for it but it's not coming to me. As long as we keep the visuals simple and easy to understand, there's no reason why far removed intelligent hominids won't be able to understand that "hazardous trash" is down there.
>>
>>1440340
The problem is that even if you communicate "hazardous trash" how can you be sure they won't take it as seriously as grave robbers took the threat of curses?
>>
>>1430426

kek
>>
>>1440348
>The problem is that even if you communicate "hazardous trash" how can you be sure they won't take it as seriously as grave robbers took the threat of curses?
Because grave robbers knew that beneath all those hazards somebody dumped their life savings into an extravagant sarcophagus filled with easily stealable trinkets of incredible value. They were enticed by the sheer volume of effort and elaboration that went into preventing people from finding these chambers and weren't going to be deterred by the spooky writing on the wall promising them the retribution of a god that nobody has prayed to for centuries.

If you put it somewhere remote and tucked away, with a pictorial representation of the lay-out plus a visual of what exposure to the toxic substance does to someone, they'll figure out real quick that there's not a single good reason for anyone to be down there.
>>
>>1439904
>2316 CE
>2713 CE

I can´t even imagine how its going to be in 2316. Let alone in 2713. What could i possibly say about 12016

>>1439399
Creating a no go zone is still the way to go. A place where nothing of value is and people get sick will do the job. Somwhere in there youcan hide and secure the waste and draw your pictogram or whatever. The real goal though is toforce the meme of a taboo area.
>>
>>1440340
It's called the Kuleshov effect
>>
>>1440381
This was literally the same mentality behind ignoring Egyptian curses. If future civilization doesn't understand radiation, then why wouldn't it turn out the same way?
>>
File: 2ee.gif (134KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
2ee.gif
134KB, 287x344px
>>1440617
>Kuleshov effect
Thank you very much
>>
>>1440621
By making it clear visually that these are not tombs filled with treasure, it's a hazardous dumping ground.

It's entirely possible to portray this using bas-reliefs which will last for as long as the stuff is toxic
>>
>>1440648
>lmao look at these ancient people trying to warn us about their curses
>>
>>1440648
>>1440670

>How would i protect my ancient tomb of amazing treasures?
>Yeah i would also tell everyone that there is no treasure.
>This BS about toxic waste is a diversion.
>>
File: niEkRL6iA.png (27KB, 541x478px) Image search: [Google]
niEkRL6iA.png
27KB, 541x478px
>>1440686
I think you're being a little cynical, here.

People aren't complete morons, they can put two and two together and figure out when their life might be in danger. And even if there is the odd person stupid enough to go downstairs and start fucking with one of the barrels, when he gets deathly sick the rest of his tribe will know to leave well enough the hell alone.
>>
>>1440749
Posted earlier in this thread, but:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident
>thieves steal a small capsule of cesium chloride from abandoned hospital
>both thieves started vomiting and getting dizzy, one even had a burn the shape of the capsule on his fucking hand
>even went to a doctor, got diagnosed with food poisoning
>gets sold as scrap
>handled by several people who thought it was fascinating
>nobody realized it was radioactive until 2 weeks later
>4 dead
>249 had significant radioactive material
>112,000 people had to be examined in total
>this was caused by 3.3oz (93g) of cesium chloride

Just imagine what can happen when there's metric tons of it.
>>
>>1440776
They obviously weren't deterred by knowing what language the warnings were written in, so it's kind of a moot point to discuss until we talk about putting it in a place where it's extremely unlikely for the average idiot to stumble upon it, like deep in a cave in an extremely remote wasteland.

Again, like the Egyptian sarcophagi, people went in there knowing that there were valuables to be found. A giant steel barrel with a bunch of nasty water in it is not something that you can just bring home and kick around on the floor.
>>
File: Marik'sBack.jpg (23KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
Marik'sBack.jpg
23KB, 500x373px
This sounds cheesy as fuck but what about:

> Establishing a line of hereditary Waste-Keepers who have pictograms of radiation deaths etched onto their backs and making them establish rituals that allow oral history keeping of the dangers they guard?
>>
>>1439849
>thinking that rebar-enforced concrete will last thousands of years
>>
>>1436597
if they read from bottom to top they'd probably be confused as to why that man is walking up a regenerating cliff
>>
>>1439379
>in 12016 AD, only two thing remain from our era
>Nuclear waste, and Nickelback
>>
>>1441241
>>
>>1430411
How is it you think even if the way we communicate changes all our gathered information will, for some reason be lost.

If we record that we buried nuclear waste 'here'. Then the current form of communication will express just that - with different terminology.

If we lose that record and any way to translate between, then tough titties.
>>
>>1441024
Buried under tons of rock in a salt mine? Sure it will. It will be effectively sealed off from the elements for the most part.
>>
File: 1363246402803.jpg (134KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1363246402803.jpg
134KB, 413x395px
>>1429612
>continental philosophers think anything they say has any value what so ever.
>continental philosophers try to accomplish anything
>>
>>1430485

yeah no thats not enough
>>
>>1428933

you wont get down there, the place is not exactly open for visitors
>>
>>1429006

But current day archeologists have not dug up other stuff that an advanced civilization left behind, like entire cities and railwaysystems, old dams etc
>>
File: 5832081.jpg (19KB, 258x217px) Image search: [Google]
5832081.jpg
19KB, 258x217px
>>1427456
Here lies the pinnacle of our arrogance,
we sought to tame the power of the gods yet we were consumed by it ourselves,
those who enter here will be cursed with feebleness and sickness,
the curse spreads wide, poisons water and food near it,
if you find this place bury it,
bury it and forget you ever saw it lest you wish to be cursed and devoured by it like we did.
>>
>>1427456
in the future we would be able to develop cost friendly ways of bringing shit to space.
then we will just throw all the chemical waste in space where no one would be poisoned, let dat shit float in endless space.
>>
>>1442381
Until some alien empire finds the waste and starts looking for the assholes leaving that shit behind,
then they find the earthlings of milkyway that are relatively primitive in comparison to them and decide they are too dangerous and stupid to leave on their own devices,
then a brief war ensues where humanity gets its ass handed to it and the war our survivors will be preserved in their version of zoo / museum where we will be studied and experimented on.
>>
>>1427456
If we're talking future humans, They'll be able to detect it and they will understand simple skull-and-crossbones type "death" imagery

If we're talking, human extinction, new species taking over, that's more like tens of millions of years from now. It's unlikely anything we could leave will survive; even the casks we store the shit in will turn to dust, and nature will deal with it.
>>
>>1442409
>If we're talking future humans, They'll be able to detect it and they will understand simple skull-and-crossbones type "death" imagery

Not so fast. This post gives a real example >>1430042
If civilisation ends up crumbling and slowly rebuilds itself, we have no guarantees they'd understand any context that would seem normal to us today
>>
>>1431682

wont work
>>
File: 84535-004-F70A0BFA.jpg (21KB, 550x273px) Image search: [Google]
84535-004-F70A0BFA.jpg
21KB, 550x273px
>>1427456
>>1427456
build some giant monuments over the top of the area and disguise them as burial tombs. try and make the area above ground as hospitable as possible in the hope that the future savages who claim the ancient ruins as their own won't get too fucked up. they'll most likely become utter mongoloids anyway. obviously it will already be out in the middle of nowhere to discourage future savages from moving in, pray to god some kind of river never flows past it. alternatively dump the world's largest rock on it and hope future people only use it as a tourist site.
>>
>>1429578
This comic only works if the read left to right, top from bottom. If two on the right, if read from bottom to top, could look like a 'fountain of youth' user guide.
>>
>>1442471
>trees shrink
>>
>>1433614

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/deep-sea-challenge/cameron-how-deep
>>
>>1427456
How about a comic strip in bas relief on the side that shows exactly what is buried there... i.e. shit that will get you killed.
>>
>>1436730
that's a lot of fuckin time/money/effort to spare some hypothetical people 10k years in the future a bit of good 'ol fashion dick cancer
>>
>>1437323
how much radioactive waste would warm the water?
considering radiation is pretty bad.
>>
>>1442607
It's less about helping those people and more about making sure those people don't fuck the environment for centuries to come.
>>
>>1442519
>t. someone who didn't bother to read the thread
>>
>>1442423
But like the grave robbers and hospital thieves, what we have are average idiots handling things that they perceived as being valuable which caused them to completely ignore all warnings to the contrary.

That's why it would be important to put it somewhere extremely remote and difficult to find. And even if by some chance some average idiot did stumble upon it, what is he going to do with a giant steel barrel of nasty sludge?
>>
>>1443325
Well, it's already in the desert of New Mexico, so I assume it's remote enough

>what is he going to do with a giant steel barrel of nasty sludge?
He'd already be exposed to the radiation beforehand and most likely contaminate the area. For me, it's an issue of preserving the environment and also to prevent the loss of human life, which could possibly be close to extinct at that time anyway, if they were to come across the material and not understand its danger.
>>
>>1439730
>United States is the world's oldest continuously existing regime
You what
>>
>>1443415

Not him, and I'm not certain of that myself, but the U.S. regime has been around for quite a while in diplomatic terms. The constitution was ratified in the late 18th century, and most countries have undergone some kind of revolution or constitutional change since then.

So while say, France, as the concept of a country, has been around forever, the current regime is the 5th republic, which has only been around since 1958, and thus far younger than the U.S.'s regime.

Maybe a couple of tiny states have older ones, but offhand, I can't think of any.
>>
>>1429549
How about we print the warning in EVERY language possible. Even if they don't understand it, we'll have created a bitching rosetta stone x10. Maybe leave a giddeons bible in there with all the lords prayers.
>>
>>1443404
>He'd already be exposed to the radiation beforehand and most likely contaminate the area.
Which is probably why we'd want to store them in an underground concrete bunker thick enough so that if someone was stupid enough to dump out a barrel or two, it wouldn't affect the environment.

And make the barrels large and heavy enough so that it's not like some asshole with his donkey could pick it up and bring it to the marketplace.

>>1443610
might encourage them to go down looking for more treasures...
>>
>>1443811
They can laugh about it after translating the languages to figure out wtf happened.
>>
>>1442475
That's not the tree growing, it's perspective, i.e. The guy moving away from the barrel, towards the tree, and getting sick
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.